FIFA 11 hits stores nationwide today

FIFA11 Cover

By FRANCO PANIZO

Soccer fans across the country will be shelling out around $60 today, and not because they'll be attending the next big match in their respective cities.

The latest edition of EA Sports' highly-touted FIFA series, FIFA 11, is set to hit stores today, meaning the countless hours of gaming will commence for soccer lovers spanning from Los Angeles to New York City to Miami.

Among some of the new additions included in FIFA 11 are features such as Pro Passing, Be a Goalkeeper and Personality Plus, which gives a more authentic feel to each individual player in the game based on real life strengths and weaknesses. Also in FIFA 11 for the first time ever will be the Philadelphia Union.

While the jury is still out to see just how successful this game will be, gaming outlets such as IGN and the Official Playstation Magazine (UK) have giving FIFA 11 high praise. IGN even went as far as predicting that FIFA 11 looks likely to hold off other soccer games, such as Pro Evolution Soccer, in the quest to be the number one soccer simulation available.

FIFA 11 will be available across a number of platforms, including Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and Nintendo Wii. The game won't be sold in Europe until Oct. 1.

If you have yet to see the game or are undecided about whether or not to get it, here's a trailer highlighting some of its new additions:

————

Are you getting a copy of FIFA today? Prefer Pro Evolution Soccer or Football Manager? Which teams are you most looking forward to playing with/against? Which new addition do you think you'll like the most/least? Would you be interested in an SBI league?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

79 Responses to FIFA 11 hits stores nationwide today

1. RedLine55 says:

YES SIR!

2. tbecker says:

I’m getting it after class and I’m pumped….. PS3 is way better than 360…. just saying.

3. Steve C says:

Picking this up at lunchtime. Not as stoked about this years version as I was for last years.

4. MattinMemphis says:

PS3′s online experience for Fifa is total garbage just like their pointless bluetooth headsets. Only reason I still stick with the 360.

5. jose says:

Who wants it ill. Be on after 8 after work ps3 is the best
    Jose732n908 get at me!!!

6. SeattleStan says:

I actually had a dream last night that I was finished with school and was buying a 360 and this. I know, pathetic. But the weird thing is that I didn’t even know that it was coming out today.

7. jleppig says:

For sure! I’ve been playing the demo for a while and it seems that this is the best iteration of this game in a while. I can’t wait for 11 v 11 online play. If you are on xbox360 look me up: MrAnthrope

8. BFT says:

Carlos Vela…Really.

9. Pro evo’s game play always seems much more team play based and also more satisfying. I get that that music, graphics, sponsorships, and special features are superior in Fifa, but the game itself is always a lot more fun to get into seriously and quiet a bit deeper on Pro Evo. Whenever you put Fifa on a really high unlocked difficulty all the players are just like tanks and it ends up just coming down to who is stronger and faster rather than good game play, which is what you want in a game on high difficulty.

I know Fifa is the more popular game in the states, but every time I play it I can’t help but wondering if its just that it is the first one they play that makes them say it is better.

Also, Fifa may be more forgiving for people who suck. So maybe it is more fun for Joe shmo, I don’t know.

10. Freddy says:

I love it that we get FIFA 11 before the Europeans! Can you imagine how annoyed Americans would be if Europe got Madden 11 before us?!

11. Luke from CBus says:

If you’re in to the offline game modes, Manager Mode got an overhaul this time around (now dubbed Career Mode). It combines Be A Pro/Virtual Pro into Manager Mode type setup. Transfers and other club business is supposed to be much improved.

12. Raymon says:

Just watched the highlights! Rooney is scoring again!

13. jjraines says:

Can’t say I’m too excited, considering the bug-infested clusterfark that was FIFA 10. I’ll be waiting atleast a week to see how buggy this one is.

14. gas huffer says:

You’ve been Incepted, my friend. Bwahahahaha!

15. golfstrom says:

I used to be a diehard PES guy, but it pains me to say FIFA gameplay is chess to PES’ checkers. Virtual pro mode is awesome, and online team play mode (especially w/ virtual pros) is probably the most fun I’ve ever had playing video games, which is saying something…

16. golfstrom says:

yeah he’s no Kljestan

17. kpugs says:

I finally tried Pro Evo 2 years ago after hearing everyone gushing about it. It was arguably the worst video game I’ve ever played–or possibly the second worst, after Lego Batman.

18. Raymon says:

Marketing. The cover is designed to appeal to a wide audience in the US, and the 2 national teams that have wide support here.

I am sure the Euro version will have a different cover.

I am not sure why Kaka’s skinny brother is in the center though.

19. wykell says:

“Also in FIFA 11 for the first time ever will be the worst team in the game, Philadelphia Union.”

FYP

20. Test says:

Pisses me off they don’t put Landon in his gaLAxy kit….

21. Steve C says:

Thats not really a good analogy to use. MLS is in FIFA11, soccer is played here.

Madden, American Football is an American sport. It is not played professionally in Europe, nor are there any teams from Europe in the game.

Just sayin’.

22. Steve C says:

I’m guessing they held off on Landon in the Galaxy kit, since the last 3 Americans on the cover transferred w/in the next year. Jozy, Mo Edu, & Kljestan.

23. Luke from CBus says:

Every year there is one athlete who is on every cover worldwide (such as Ronaldinho, Lampard, Rooney in the past). Depending on where you buy the game another player or two is on the cover. Past editions have had Sergio Ramos in Spain, Ribery in France, Schweinsteiger in Germany, etc. The North American cover always has a U.S. and a Mexican National (Klejstan, Altidore, Ochoa, and others).

24. rory says:

I’m all about the Fifa series. However, I bought a wii a few years ago and Fifa for the wii just doesn’t have the options I want (like a good manager mode), so I still play the PS2 version. I Heard Fifa 11 for PS2 was going to be the last game ever released on PS2 before a few others got delayed.

Anyway..

Oh, anyone else just use fifa to similate management and wind up just similating the games? I know I should try to learn Fifa manager for that, but damn that seems too complicated.

25. golfstrom says:

You have to give PES time. It doesn’t have the flash of EA games. Master league is phenomenal and beats the pants off of Manager Mode. That being said, PES peaked around ’05 and has been going nowhere.

26. Scott says:

Yes I got to the store at 10:01. Yes I bought it. Yes it is AWESOME

27. Luke from CBus says:

What does Master League have that FIFA doesn’t? I heard someone else mention this a few days ago, and I am curious. I’ve only ever played PES at a friends briefly, so I’ve never seen the more in depth game modes.

28. dino1er says:

im in for a SBI MLS league DINO1ER on the PS3.

29. rory says:

I applaud you. You’re the first PES fan who went into some depth on your justification and didn’t just say “It has the real champions League liscense” like so many others have before you. I never understood the appeal of winning the Champions League with “Manchester Red” or “London Northeast” as your team name.

30. AJ says:

Am I the only one waiting for Football Manager 2011?

31. Erik says:

not as excited about this years version, but last year was a horrible edition IMO.

add me on PS3 for games, although I mostly play MM.

alka246

32. rory says:

Usually we get Fifa AFTER the Europeans. But I read that North America is now Fifa’s number one market (to be fair, the European market is divided by country).

We used to get Fifa the third tues in October, which always sucked for me as my birthday is in the 2nd week and I had to wait for present!

33. kmaxhokie says:

Already got the game at my apartment and when my class gets out I will be playing Fifa all afternoon.

34. Neg says:

Gamefly sent it out yesterday, which means it should be in my mailbox when I get home from work. Oh happy day.

35. john.q says:

fifa 10 was great. all i really want is a better manager mode.
    hopefully the ‘build a team’ feature is good. i enjoy take a league 2 team all the way up to the premiership. having to make my own including logo and kit would be awesome.

36. einar says:

my copy wasnt bugged at all. and was perfect

37. Reece says:

Rafa in a RBNY jersey would have been much better imo

38. Judging Amy says:

This may have been true a couple of years ago, but ever since the switch from Winning 11, Pro Evos kind of sucked IMO and FIFAs more realistic gameplay has crushed Pro Evos laughable arcade style.
    FIFA 10 had some maddening glitches in manager mode though. Hopefully that parts better.

39. einar says:

the creation center is going to be awsome. it has been a long time that fifa has not had a creation center to make your own team or players that dont need to be used on be a pro. You can share creations too online. I wonder who is going to make the the best version of the vancover whitecaps and portland timbers……hmmmm.

40. sread says:

Will definitely be picking it up today. I’ve traded in used games building up store credit over the summer to help out with the cost…new games are pricy these days!!

41. bob says:

“Personality Plus, which gives a more authentic feel to each individual player in the game based on real life strengths and weaknesses”

Does that mean your players can get into trouble? Like during the middle of a season, they have problems with prostitutes and under age girls?

42. gerald says:

Nope I’m waiting for that as well

43. Kate says:

Dear Franco,

The phrase is “shelling out,” not “shelving out.”

Love,
    Kate

44. Vik says:

pre-ordered it, but for the sake of my education I’m probably not going to pick it up until thanksgiving.

45. Illmatic74 says:

American football is nowhere near as popular there as soccer is here but you are wrong in saying they don’t play it professionaly. There is a professional American football in places like Germany and Italy.

46. GSScasual says:

Any MLS stadiums?

47. Chris says:

They could have at least put Chicharito

48. SeattleStan says:

So that’s why Ellen Page was in my dream too!

49. Chris says:

Anyone else irritated that Ozil was still with WB in the promo?

50. Josh D says:

Don’t like it so far. Picked it up at midnight and had a few games before heading off to bed. Seems clunky whereas 2010 was very fluid. Maybe it just takes some getting used to.

51. Josh D says:

Keepers still act like they’re blind. Frustrates me to no end…

52. Jim says:

I’ve been playing soccer video games for over 20 years now, and as a former Pro Evo fan I couldn’t disagree with you more. Pro Evo WAS a great game, and more realistic and rewarding than the FIFA series. But it really stagnated.

FIFA 09 passed Pro Evo and the subsequent additions have expanded on that lead. FIFA is now much more realistic, polished and just FEELs more like soccer. Almost all of the critics agree with that take, btw, so it’s not just first timers or FIFA fanboys.

53. Tomas says:

Get a SBI Fifa11 League going!

54. ManicMessiah says:

Enjoying it on the 360 so far. I think the game will end up encouraging a slower buildup. Would love to see an SBI league.

55. I second (or whatever we’re up to now) the calls for an SBI league. Anyone want to embarrass me and my mediocre FIFA skills can hit me up at Jbosco11 on Xbox Live.

56. Trap says:

“Spanning from LA to NY to Miami”

Lol come on Franco, we know those are the big cities in America. We also know people play FIFA everywhere.

57. Rory says:

She’s in my dreams for entirely different reasons then to hock some Fifa 11 games!

58. Rory says:

Favorite PS2 Fifa 10 glitch: you could never get your team chemestry above a 39! Oh well, it was worth it to have the Russian league to raid for players (cheap and very talented!). I had more Russians on my team then most Russian teams.

59. Rory says:

But they will have those snazzy jerseys!

And in six months time you’ll feel weird playing the game without the Whitecaps or Timbers in it.

60. Rory says:

What system do you use? Ps2 had build your own club/crest/kit six years ago.

61. Myles B says:

I was actually more interested in shelling out 60 bucks for Front Mission Evolved today actually!

62. DL says:

I’ll participate in an SBI league on PS3 Dlove3000.

63. bryan says:

you havent played online enough then. paying for xbox live does have a perk. better servers!

64. Luke from CBus says:

Does anyone know what year the calendar starts in if you start Career Mode with an MLS team? Does it start in March of 2010 or March of 2011? I’d like to start out with my Crew, then head off to Europe. I am hoping you get to play the 2010 MLS season as that would seem to make the most sense, but I can see the game starting you in 2011.

65. bryan says:

there were certainly game play bugs. i always enjoyed having the computer cross it right into my goal.

66. Clifford says:

I love FIFA and just last night played 10 four a couple hours. It was as game changing at 09 was and 11 doesn’t look like it’s breaking the mold. With the glitch in manager mode and the incremental steps the series is taking i’m apt to stick with 10 for another round and wait until my Portland Timbers make an appearance in 2012.

67. bryan says:

love SBI league idea. XOBX: TH3 MADRIDISTA

68. Matt (NES) says:

Have bought the last 2 editions of FIFA, and have really enjoyed the hell out of them. A few things really bother me though about the game.

1) Why cant they have a real MLS schedule (last years schedule was playing each team 3 times for a 42 game schedule.

2) No MLS stadiums? (how hard is it to have a DLC for the stadiums – free or for a fee?)

3) When playing Be A Pro, why aren’t the different Cups (ie: USOC in US, FA Cup and Football League Cup in UK)tied into the season to get a real experience?

Totally up for a SBI 360 league.

69. Luke from CBus says:

In the new Career Mode you can play Be A Pro style through full seasons including Cup matches.

DLC stadiums would be very nice. I’ve thought this for a while now. I understand why MLS stadiums don’t make it on the game disc, but donloadable regional stadium packs would be really popular.

70. BetaMale says:

anybody got the tip on a good online league?

71. RK says:

I can’t get this…I’m still coaching up Benidorm in FM10.

72. three11stu says:

Also it would be nice to have DLC for the new teams that come into MLS each year.

Like somebody above said, it is going to suck playing the game next year without Portland and Vancouver.

I like the idea of DLC stadium packs. That would be pretty sweet.

Just waiting to get out of work to play. Played the heck out of the demo.

73. Zack Lewis says:

The Football Manager series puts all these games to shame in terms of the soccer manager mode.

74. jjraines says:

You obviously didn’t play offline.

75. uuuuunion. says:

worse than DC United, NE Revolution, and Chicago Fire? must not be a realistic game then.

76. Chris says:

Tim Ream & Mike Petke made the trailer.

77. MC Pharoah says:

If any experienced club gamers on PS3 want to have a trial, one of the best clubs in the UK and North America, 28 Plays Later can try ya….when i say experienced, you had to have played in FIFA10 and had a 7.5 OVR atleast

PSN is D-OdoubleG17 or DreMadeHipHop, msg mne if interested

78. tony says:

I thought this was coming out last year, I’ll wait until then, I’m still addicted to playing fifa 10

79. Evan says:

Question about transfers. It is during the transfer window, and the computer is telling me that I can’t buy players because i would go over my roster limit. This happens when I try to buy a player. But I have already loaned or sold a ton of guys and have only 26 out of 42 spots filled. Any clue how I can get it to let me buy a player?