SBI Poll: Who wins the World Cup final?

WorldCupLogo

Either way, one nation will lift the World Cup trophy for the first time.

Spain's "tiki-taka" approach has frustrated its opponents, and David Villa and Carles Puyol have scored timely goals to erase all memories of La Furia Roja's tournament-opening defeat to Switzerland.

The Netherlands has seemingly ditched the "Total Football" philosophy, instead relying on sharp passing, sound defense and the vision and skill of Wesley Sneijder to reach its first final since 1978.

Although you could cheat and wait for Paul the Octopus to make his final pick, the question we have for you is:

How did you vote? Share your thoughts about the final matchup below.

This entry was posted in World Cup 2010. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to SBI Poll: Who wins the World Cup final?

1. seamus says:

Stop mentioning Total Football!!!! For the love of god it’s been dead for decades!

2. William the Terror says:

Will Paul the Octopus even make a pick if Germany is not in the game?

Hup, Holland, Hup!!

3. Hey! If it’s good enough for your grandmother, it’s good enough for you!!

4. Erik says:

Love this article – it was written by former LFC winger Craig Johnston and creator of the Predator Boot.

This article explains why this world cup has sucked because of the ball. And I have to agree – the ball has been an embarrassment.

Open letter to Sepp Blatter
    link to docshare.com

5. Erik says:

I didn’t give Spain a chance to get past the Quarters so I am eating crow and think they will win the whole thing now.

Holland will come out scared like Germany did and Spain will bore us to death with their 1 foot passing ability. I will fall asleep on the couch and wake up happy to to have to watch this world cup again. It’s been pretty sad…

6. BarcaGirl says:

Spain can do this…..

does this make me cool and psychic if I predict this before Paul? ^_^

7. BSU SC says:

The Netherlands attack will break the Spanish defense. Spain was my pre-tourney pick to win it all, but the Orange Army are going to take the title on Sunday. Believe the hype.

8. Erik says:

The German attack was supposed to break the Spain defense. Yet, Germany didn’t attack…

9. Erik V says:

Yeah I have no clue why every one is still talking about Total Football, it has been dead for so long now its almost disrespectful to mention it again. They way Holland and Spain are playing is an evolution of that system. If Holland would play total football even North Korea would beat the crap out of them!
    Instead people should talk about the fact that both teams are the product of what Cruijf has started at Ajax and Barcelona. We have two countries in the final that actually produce real talents on a regular basis and now also figured out how to make a team out of those talents.
    For Holland you have, Stekelenburg, Heitinga, vdWiel, DeZeeuw, DeJong, vdVaart, Sneijder, Elia, Huntelaar and Babel who all have played or play for Ajax. This is were their strength comes from. This is were both the USA and England need to improve and that will take time. I really hope the US take notice of this because if they do I think they can become a real world power.

10. Erik V says:

Its going to be an interesting game. I’m Dutch but I have to admit that Spain are the clear favorites. On the other hand Holland will not sit back as deep as Germany and if they are able to disrupt the Spanish buildup early they could set them selves up for a major upset! At least that is what I am hoping for…

11. seamus says:

Due to Cruyff’s influence on Barca it can be argued that the current Spanish national style is closer to Total Football than the current Dutch style. But both systems are so far removed from true Total Football that it is plain silly to even mention it. It is such a lazy cliche. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

12. Aquaman says:

He hasn’t done it yet, so I predict De Jong breaks someone’s leg and then the Dutch win.

13. chuck says:

I’d like to see teams try a new approach against Spain – play a 3-6-2 (or 3-2-4-1). Press the Spaniards high, harass possession, crowd the field at the half, and make the only space available the long ball over the top. Disrupt the short passing and don’t give Spaniards time to build. Force Iniesta from the center, where he loves to come.

Chile sort of did this against Spain, though Chile left 3 up top, and looked the better side – at least in the first half. I probably wouldn’t do it if I were Holland, however – they should stick with what them there this far.

Going against much of what I said, the two teams to defeat Spain recently – USA and Switzerland – sat back in a 4-4-2.

14. RK says:

“Total Football” sounds like a video game.

15. ko'd says:

Yes–playing with 12 men would be a revolutionary tactic…and it *might* work.

16. Sean says:

I think Spain will, but I would like the Dutch to take it.

17. Erik V says:

Actually I think DeJong will score 7 goals and win the golden boot!

18. MC Pharoah says:

no team has ever lost there opener and gone on to win the tournament….just a fact for ya

19. Zoti says:

Only if you do it picking a mussel out of a box adorned with the Spanish flag in a huge tank.

20. Aquaman says:

Will he still at least two footed tackle someone on the way to the 7 goals?

21. inkedAG says:

I’d be happy with whichever team wins. This is Spain’s first final and the Netherlands may win their ifrst cup. Both teams have great players that I enjoy watching, so hopefully this will be a great game.

22. aiden says:

LE ORANJE

23. WeatherManNX01 says:

Picking Spain, rooting for Netherlands.

24. jonk says:

Ugh, i know. The ball has totally ruined MLS and the second half of the Bundesliga as well. I couldn’t even watch either of those leagues leading up to the WC because of all the complaining about the ball…oh wait.

25. Erik V says:

No he will use the golden boot to break someones leg.

26. William the Terror says:

“and win the golden boot.” which he will then put on and use to break someone’s leg.

27. JL says:

On the other hand, no host nation has gone out in the first round before now.

28. TomM says:

I bleed orange.

29. Jamez says:

The majority vote this world cup has turned out wrong almost 100% of the time on SBI so i’ll put my money on Holland.

30. jonk says:

Also, neither of these teams have ever won the WC before…therefore, neither team will win on Sunday.

31. QuakerOtis says:

60% of the time, Spain wins every time.

32. Erik says:

This is obviously a smart a** comment but how awful have the shots from distance, crosses and free kicks been?

Point made and goodbye.