Morning Ticker: Silva joins Manchester City, Brazil injury woes and more

SilvaGetty

By AVI CREDITOR

Manchester City has signed the outside midfielder that it has long coveted.

No, it's not Landon Donovan.

City agreed to terms with Valencia on an £30 million transfer fee for Spain international David Silva, making him the second superstar to bolt Los Che this offseason. David Villa had already left to sign with Barcelona.

Silva, 24, will reportedly sign a four-year contract that will keep him at Eastlands through 2014. He joins Germany defender Jerome Boateng as major summer acquisitions by the Citizens, who continue to re-tool in an attempt to crack the Premier League's upper echelon. Silva was one of the higher-profile names on the transfer market, as Chelsea and Real Madrid were among his other suitors.

Here are a few more stories to get you through this World Cup-less day:

BRAZIL MIDFIELD IN CRISIS

Brazil's midfield depth will be tested in its quarterfinal match against the Netherlands, as Elano has been ruled out and the statuses of Felipe Melo and Julio Baptista are very much in question as all three are nursing injuries.

Elano, who absorbed a hard tackle against the Ivory Coast and has a bone bruise in his ankle, was forced to leave training Tuesday and has been ruled out for the upcoming match by Brazil's team doctor.

Felipe Melo, who hurt his ankle against Portugal, is doubtful for the game against the Dutch, and Julio Baptista is also battling an injury ahead of Friday's contest. All three players missed the Selecao's last game against Chile.

Making matters worse for Dunga, Ramires is suspended for the match against the Dutch after picking up his second yellow card of the tournament against Chile. The healthy/non-suspended midfielders remaining on Brazil's roster are Gilberto Silva, Kaka, Josue and Kleberson, though defender Dani Alves has been used as a right-side midfielder in the last two matches.

NIGERIAN NATIONAL TEAM SUSPENDED BY PRESIDENT

The president of Nigeria has suspended its national team from international competition for two years as a result of its poor showing in the World Cup. An adviser to President Goodluck Jonathan told Reuters that the country's federation will not participate in competitions over that time period "to enable Nigeria to reorganise (sic) its football."

Nigeria finished last in Group B with a draw and two losses.

HODGSON TAKING OVER AT LIVERPOOL

Roy Hodgson is reportedly going to be introduced as Liverpool's new manager on Wednesday, replacing the ousted Rafa Benitez at Anfield.

Hodgson, who guided Fulham to the Europa League final last season, inherits a Liverpool team in flux. Yossi Benayoun left to sign with Chelsea, and Steven Gerrard, Javier Mascherano and Fernando Torres have all been rumored to be heading elsewhere.

Hodgson, who had been at Craven Cottage since 2007, will sign a two-year deal with Liverpool.

UNIVISION SETS RECORD

Sunday's Mexico-Argentina World Cup match was the most-watched program on a Spanish-speaking network in the United States, according to the Nielsen Co. Almost 9.4 million viewers watched the game on Univision, setting the new standard.

—————-

Do you think adding Silva makes Manchester City a contender for the Premier League title? How do you think the injuries affect Brazil's chances against the Dutch? Think Sepp Blatter and FIFA are going to welcome Nigeria's government interference? What do you think Hodgson-to-Liverpool means for Clint Dempsey?

This entry was posted in European Soccer, World Cup 2010. Bookmark the permalink.

83 Responses to Morning Ticker: Silva joins Manchester City, Brazil injury woes and more

1. Rory D says:

Ugh..I read the first line of the headline and was jumping up and down thinking Silva was coming to Manchester United…what a disappointment.

2. Erich says:

Bob Bradley to Fulham? Dempsey to Liverpool?

3. Fred says:

You heard it here first: Dempsey to follow Hodgson to Liverpool. (EJ to stay behind.)

4. Fred says:

Damn you, Erich! Okay fine. You heard it here second.

5. Fred says:

Poor Man Utd. Can they ever catch a break?

6. Erik says:

Man City is already so tired.

No pedigree of winning anything and this will continue. Silva is going to get run over in England.

7. Erik says:

And why would Hodgsen take Dempsey over ANY other player from Fulham?

I would take Ethutu

8. Fred says:

Oh, I don’t know, maybe because Dempsey is one of Fulham’s best players. He is extremely strong on the ball and has consitently shown his ability to shine in big games.

Nothing against Etuhu, I’m certainly not saying he’s Fulham’s _only_ good player!

9. dman says:

1. wow to nigeria

2. dempsey to liverpool unless bob shows up @ fulham

— I think it would be great for the USSF for bob to make it at Fulham

3. Brazil still wins world cup…or some other south american nation (anyone realize everyone in that confederation made it to the 2nd round)

10. Brandon says:

Tired? If anything I think City and Spurs are exactly what the Premier League needed.

What was tired was seeing ManUre, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal at the top 4 every season.

I love the pedigree of winning argument as well. The Saints clearly fell back on their championship tradition to win the Super Bowl last season.

Pedigree means nothing.

11. Waterlewd says:

Dempsey & Hangeland are two players from Fulham that could really help out Liverpool the most.

12. Gus Keri says:

I thought that Liverpool needed a change after last year’s miserable season and Benitez’s leaving was the answer to that. But to bring on Roy Hodgson? Am I the only one who is worried?

13. war says:

FIFA would do something about this,like they banned Togo for leaving the African Cup of Nations after they got shot at.

14. HoboMike says:

Seriously? No one has commented yet that Nigeria’s president is named Goodluck Jonathan?

15. David says:

It is already reported he will try to take Hangeland. They will need another striker there for sure and a midfield playmaker. I am not sure Dempsey would fit there. Despite getting a lot of playing time I never got the sense he was one of Hodgson’s favorites. Certainly at the beginning Hodgson bought Gera to replace Dempsey.

16. KenC says:

Well, this will be the opportunity to see which players Hodgson really valued. Last season, he kept talking up Zamora. I think he was trying to sell him at his peak value, kind of like Jimmy Bullard. As for Clint, Roy was mostly quiet. I think he was hiding Clint so as not to lose him. Now, we’ll see. Most likely he won’t take anyone, but we’ll see.

17. Andy in Atlanta says:

I think people are over emphasizing Roys love for Clint… Roy actually does not think that highly of Clint…never has

18. Andy in Atlanta says:

Actually very common in Nigeria…names like Prosper, Patience, Hopeful etc…

19. Brad says:

God, this Brazil team is so boring. I love Brazil and I’ve been there 3 times but I hate this team. Hup Holland!!

20. David says:

I agree. He never seemed to be one of Roy’s guys. Roy seemed to be high on players he brought in himself but reserved in his praise for players he inherited. Though I think sometimes Roy talked up some players publicially, like Zamora, to boost there egos while some players like Dempsey I think feed more off from being ignored.

21. Brad says:

Nigeria’s president’s decision to suspend the team is a perfect example of why all the African teams in the WC except Ghana crashed out. Jonathan Wilson on CNNSI wrote a good piece about African soccer; corruption, lack of creative players, and unrealistic expectations.

22. HoboMike says:

Wow. I had no idea.

23. golfstrom says:

FYI, Silva doesn’t play on the outside. For Valencia, he lined up underneath Villa as a central playmaker. For Spain, he is ostensibly a winger, but drifts into the center quite a bit. You’ll notice Spain’s width problems in the World Cup, due to Iniesta and Silva (when he played) being fake outside mids. LD likes to drift inside too, but he’s much more of a true winger.

24. richardlapidus@gmail.com says:

I noted a few mentions of Bob Bradley to Fulham. I’m just wondering if this is actually a feasible thing? Clearly it would still be a rumor, but is it a rumor that originated on this feed on SBI or somewhere slightly more tapped in to the Fulham hierarchy? Along those lines, are there any American coaches who ply their trade in a major market like England? I don’t recall hearing of any.

25. DJ says:

Not necessarily. Nigeria could simply decline to enter competitions — they aren’t obligated to do so by FIFA rules. Still, FIFA may be taking a close look at the situation…

26. Stephen says:

They’re also going to need an attacking mid (Donovan?) and also a center/defensive mid (Bradley?).

27. DJ says:

Boring, perhaps. Effective, definitely. That’s all Dunga cares about.

28. Stephen says:

Yes. And at least 2 have a shot at making it to the Semis.

29. dman says:

I thought this might be in there too… CD9 pics of pre-season training for sochaux.

that scary is gnarly — link to fcsochaux.fr

30. Brad says:

I think it originated on this side of the pond on a twitter comment by someone just wondering out loud…

31. Stephen says:

There is an American strength coach at one of the EPL sides (I think, I know somewhere in Europe, not sure exactly) but that is not a “football coach” per say.

32. ec says:

What I hate about the Silva move is it brings La Liga one step closer to being Scotland 2.0

Does any team other than Madrid or Barca have the clout to keep their stars? The rest of the league is sinking fast.

33. David says:

I think the likely hood of Bob Bradley managing Fulham is pretty close to 0%. My guess is Sven or Mark Hughs

34. Erik says:

Pedigree means everything in world football. It’s why Spain never wins anything and the Dutch always fall on their own sword.

What I am tired of is clubs with billionaire owners and no salary cap pushing everyone else down the ladder. Spurs finishing 4th is a revelation but I bet they finish 10th this season.

Now we have Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and maybe Liverpool. So great, we get 5 rich teams for the top 5 spots. Your Everton, Aston Villa, insert up and comer here, get pushed even farther down the chain.

The EPL is joke.

35. RK says:

Bob Bradley to Fulham. You heard it here last.

36. Erik says:

Hodgsen is ok – at least he’s got international experience and could handle the ego’s.

37. Brad says:

The latest Dempsey rumor is that Napoli is interested…

And that Donovan is going to be asked to be on “Dancing with the Stars”…

38. RK says:

Perhaps you are thinking of the guy that worked with Klinsi, and went to Munich with him?

39. RK says:

Sevilla is the best chance for another team to threaten. As for Valencia, I can’t believe they hadn’t sold off their pieces last year. They are supposedly keeping Mata, though.

40. ec says:

Totally agree, Brandon. Toss in Everton who had top 3 points in the second half of last season, and you’ve got a really competitive top 7, which makes it much more fun to follow.

It’s a much better direction than La Liga with 2 super teams and a lot of mediocrity below them.

41. Erik says:

La Liga is the 2nd joke of a league in Europe behind the EPL. Same stuff, different year. I cut my teeth watching La Liga and it’s a shame.

42. Erik says:

Sven needs a serious break…

43. Stephen says:

Everton’s Assitant Strength and Conditioning Coach, Steve Tashjian.

44. Spectra says:

Dude looks like old Ronoldo. This is the best news since saturday

45. Oranje Mike says:

Bradley deserves a shot to manage a club in Europe. But will an EPL club be the first to pull the trigger and hire an American coach? I don’t think so.

46. RK says:

No. It would have to be a championship team.

47. Brad says:

I think the same thing. EPL teams have too much at stake to trust an American w/o European experience. If all else is equal, I would imagine an EPL club would chose a Brit over a Yank almost every time; less distraction, controversy, team’s not at risk from critics, fans, etc…

48. Beandog says:

I thought government can’t interfere with national soccer organizations.

49. Matt in Detroit says:

This is why African teams tend to play beneath their talent. Idiotic bureaucracies running their lives, firing successful coaches on the eves of tourniments.

Yeah, don’t let them play for two years. THAT will be make them a better team.

I usually side against FIFA and Sepp’s little dictatorship but even I say FIFA should step in.

50. Jose says:

DOn’t understand Nigeria’s move. So you do bad in world cup and instead of taking steps forward to figure out the better players, coach, etc. You regress by taking yourself out of playing international games. Huh?? how does that make the team any better?

51. Jose says:

Funny the Nigerian President is named Goodluck Jonathan. I guess Nigeria didn’t have much of hist first name in the world cup.

52. Gus Keri says:

But the only big club he has coached is Inter and he had not won any thing significant outside Sweden and Denmark.

53. Andy in Atlanta says:

Probably spot on about Roy’s use of psychology.

54. Brad says:

It’s a political move for the president, he rides the waves of discontent and pleases the people by punishing the team.

55. Erik says:

It’s African football, what do you expect?

56. mwc says:

No chance on Bradley to Fulham. If Hodgson took Dempsey with him, I’d be surprised. It does not appear to me that the Hodgson-Dempsey relationship is that great.

57. Brandon says:

I disagree again. Spain won this past Euro, if I recall correctly.

Pedigree is a convenient crutch that fans like to use. “Typical City” comes to mind.

I do agree that seeing these billonaire owners come in and buy teams takes away a bit of tradition, but it’s there money to burn.

I’m curious as to what league you follow. Is it La Liga, where Barca and Real are the only clubs that matter?

Serie A? Bundesliga?

58. i said it says:

okay so the top 2 soccer leagues IN THE WORLD are a joke??yeah, go trip on a curb.

i guess you think MLS is on it way to being a powerhouse in world football also, huh?

59. i said it says:

why cut your teeth???WATCH SOMETHING ELSE!! omg, some of the things ppl say is rediculous. im 99.999999% sure that you are not being forced to watch the games. screw it, im 100% sure

60. I <3 MLS says:

MLS!

61. Erich says:

LOL … it happens Fred…

This wouldn’t be the first I’ve heard this … but it would be cool to see Michael Bradley at Arsenal … they need some more toughness.

But it’d probably be better for him to take another measured step instead of a giant leap… go to some mid-table EPL club that he’ll get lots of playing time at.

62. away goals says:

Four have a chance at the semis. Paraguay is the only one that will be an overwhelming underdog.

Not saying all four or even three will make it, but it’s possible.

63. Second City says:

“You heard it here first”

^^

Lol.

64. Brian S. says:

If you’ll look at about 10 or so pictures into the slide show, it looks like Brett Favre is one of the coaches

65. Brian S. says:

Earnie Stewart is actually very high up at a Holland club. Breda I think but that could be wrong. He is the technical director

66. Brian S. says:

Milan is also rumored to be ready to bid on Dempsey’s services

67. DC Josh says:

Only Spain has a player who rides their bench and is sold for 30 million pounds. Must be the sangria.

68. Missoula says:

Except Chile, but even they were knocked out by another South American team, Brazil.

69. Missoula says:

First, I believe it was the African Football Association that banned Togo, not FIFA.

Also, this is one of the rare instances where I agree with FIFA’s positions. I believe that governments should not mingle in the affairs of football associations. But if FIFA steps into Nigeria’s situation, then they should come down on France as well.

70. Missoula says:

It must nice to have enough talent to leave him and Fabregas out of the starting lineup.

71. MensreaJim says:

And Southern Africa, as well. Though I had a good buddy named Clifford.

72. MensreaJim says:

Nigeria is instituting the SMU plan for football dominance.

73. Erik says:

I follow die Bundesliga. And please don’t give me the “Bayern Munich” always win argument. From top to bottom you get good games with high scoring and plenty of rivalries. Freaking Wolfsburg won the title – would that EVER happen to say Fulham in the EPL? Not the way it’s currently constructed. Only Blackburn has cracked the normal order and they paid their way to the top and crashed mightily the next season.

If you don’t get pedigree then you obviously don’t understand sport in general. I am not going to debate you if you can’t see this simple fact.

Manchester United has a pedigree of winning no matter who they have on the field. They still field Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs and good squad players like Darren Fletcher and Wes Brown. It’s in their culture to WIN, which is why they get so many late goals and you hate them for it.

It’s also why Germany has played in so many European and World Cup finals. It’s ingrained in them to WIN. It’s also why the English always crash out. Manchester City does not have this yet. It’s why they couldn’t finish fourth and why they had so many draws. Manchester United would have won most of those games by shear will alone.

Get my point yet?

74. Erik says:

Who are you? A nine year old? Grow up.

Did I mention MLS?

Let me expand. La Liga and the EPL have the same teams win every single year. There is no competition and it’s boring as all get out.

Now go away.

75. Stephen says:

Would he coach the USMNT?

76. JustSayin says:

US goalie coach Dan Gaspar has been working for the Portuguese for several years. Not the same as head coach, but an American working in Europe nonetheless.

77. Stephen says:

He was at Breda, now he’s at AZ. But he is the technical director.

78. Stephen says:

Yep.

79. JustSayin says:

Nigeria is in the midst of a virtual civil war between Muslims and Christians and is very, very fragile right now. The Nigerian football authorities are just another casualty of this situation. Making the team “better” is not a priority.

80. Stephen says:

It’s a toss up for Argentina. I think Uruguay and Brazil are almost definitely through. Paraguay will most likely be out, it just depends on which Spain team shows up and what Paraguay decides to do.

81. jig says:

how can you hate them? If you hate this Brazil team, which version did you like?

82. jig says:

except la liga has had 4 different champions in 10 years. go away.

83. Brandon says:

No, I don’t.

I feel as if I understand the sport quite well, despite any comments you may throw down from that pedestal you have placed yourself on. It must be lonely up there.

I will limit this response to professional clubs, and not international play because it is clear that pedigree did not assist Italy and France in progressing in this tournament.

You talk of pedigree in the club competition as if all of these players were brought up rooting for their specific club since birth and taught “The Manchester United Way.”

In reality, these major clubs use their money to buy the best talent. That is pedigree in a nut shell – money.

You make the top four – you play in the champions league – you sell more tickets – you sell more kits – you make more money -you buy better players.

Rinse wash repeat.

This is the cycle within the BPL. There was a stranglehold on success because there was a stranglehold on finances.

I’m hoping City, Spurs, Etc. can change that, but it takes financing to do it.

As for the Bundesliga, why should I not bring up Bayern Munich? In the past 11 years they’ve won the title 7 times!

As for Fulham, interesting choice since they made it to the Europa League championship game… knocking off Hamburg and Wolfsburg (who finished 7th and 8th in the Bundesliga, respectively) in the process.