World Cup Preliminary Roster Day

WorldCupLogo

Call it the day before THE day. Today marks the deadline for teams to submit their 30-player provisional World Cup rosters. These are the squads from which 23 players will be chosen on June 1 to represent their countries at next month's World Cup.

The U.S. national team's preliminary roster will be unveiled at 2pm, but we've already had several high-profile nations reveal their squads. We will offer an on-going rundown of the squads as they come out.

Let's get started:

ENGLAND

Fabio Capello called up Liverpool veteran Jamie Carragher to England's 30-man squad, luring the versatile defender out of retirement.

Adam Johnson, Joe Cole, Ledley King and Michael Dawson were among the surprise additions to the squad, while injured Gareth Barry was also included. Left out was long-injured midfielder Owen Hargreaves (much to the delight of Canadian soccer fans).

ARGENTINA

Lionel Messi, Sergio Aguero and Carlos Tevez lead Argentina's preliminary World Cup squad, which was announced late on Tuesday. Among the more surprising omissions are Lisandro Lopez, Gabriel Milito and Juan Riquelme (no, he's not a surprise, but it's still disappointing he's not going).

BRAZIL

Ronaldinho, Diego, Adriano and Pato were among the players NOT chosen to Brazil's 23-man World Cup squad, which was announced on Tuesday. Head coach Dunga is expected to name seven injury alternates so one of the aforementioned players could still be in the mix.

FRANCE

Karim Benzema and Patrick Viera were the big names left off France's 30-man preliminary roster. Injured defender William Gallas did make the preliminary squad.

ITALY

American-born striker Giuseppe Rossi was named to Italy's 30-man preliminary roster on Tuesday, while Nicola Legrottaglie and Francesco Totti were not.

NETHERLANDS

UEFA Champions League finalists Wesley Snjeider and Arjen Robben were among the big names chosen to the Netherlands' 30-man provisional roster.

SPAIN

Young Barcelona striker Pedro Rodriguez was rewarded for his stellar season by earning a place on Spain's 30-man provisional World Cup roster.

He joins injured compatriots Fernando Torres, Cesc Fabregas and Andres Iniesta on the squad, a squad that includes five goalkeepers.

PORTUGAL

Injured Real Madrid defender Pepe has been included in Portugal's 24-man squad by head coach Carlos Quieroz despite only recently returning to training after being sidelined by a knee injury since December.

Cristiano Ronaldo, Deco and Simao Sabrosa lead a squad that will compete in a brutal that includes Brazil and Ivory Coast.

Portugal had been expected to name its final World Cup roster, but injuries have led Quieroz to include an extra player as he sorts out his final selections.

HONDURAS

Carlos Costly did not make Honduras' 23-man World Cup squad, but Kansas City Wizards defender Roger Espinoza did.

Honduras named its 23-man World Cup squad, along with seven alternates. Costly, who suffered a foot injury recently, was named as an alternate. Young striker Georgie Welcome replaced Costly on the squad.

Also on the team are MLS alumni Amado Guevara and Ramon Nunez.

AUSTRALIA

Injuries were the storyline when Australia named its 30-man provisional roster. Harry Kewell, Mark Bresciano, Vincenzo Grella and Brett Emerton were all named to Pim Verbeek's 30-man roster despite carrying injuries.

GREECE

Injured Panathanaikos star Giorgos Seitaridis was one of Otto Rehhagel's selections to Greece's 30-man provisional roster.

SWITZERLAND

Soon-to-be Seattle Sounders striker Blaise Nkufo and veteran Alexander Frei lead the 30-man Switzerland roster, selected by head coach Ottmar Hitzfeld. Surprisingly not on the squad is winger/forward Johan Vonlanthen (wonder if he regrets passing on his native Colombia).

SOUTH AFRICA

Controversial striker Benni McCarthy was included in South Africa's 30-man provisional roster by head coach Carlos Alberto Parreira. McCarthy has had his share of disagreements with the South African Federation, leaving his inclusion in doubt for some time.

CAMEROON

Tottenham defenders Benoit Assou-Ekotto and Sebastien Bassong followed up their dream club seasons with inclusion in Cameroon's 30-man preliminary World Cup roster.

GHANA

Injured Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien has been selected to Ghana's 30-man provisional World Cup roster. He's joined on the list by veterans Sulley Muntari and Stephen Appiah.

IVORY COAST

The Chelsea forward tandem of Didier Drogba and Salomon Kalou headline Ivory Coast's 30-man provisional World Cup roster, chosen by manager Sven Goran Erikkson.

NEW ZEALAND

New York Red Bulls defender Andrew Boyens and former D.C. United defender Ryan Nelsen were among the players chosen for New Zealand's 23-man World Cup roster, which was released on Monday.

DENMARK

Injured goalkeeper Tomas Sorenson and little-used defender Patrick Mtiliga were among the 30 players chosen by head coach Morten Olsen for Denmark's 30-man provisional World Cup roster.

JAPAN

Former Celtic legend Shunsuke Nakamura and hot-shot midfielder Keisuke Honda headline Japan's 23-man World Cup roster.

————–

I will add to this list as the day goes on so be sure to check back in throughout the day.

What do you think of the selections so far? Which snub has surprised you the most? Who's inclusion was the most shocking?

This entry was posted in World Cup 2010. Bookmark the permalink.

244 Responses to World Cup Preliminary Roster Day

1. William the Terror says:

The England squad has a few genuine superstars, but overall I am not that intimidated. Of course, I don’t have to play against them. Assuming that we don’t suffer a first-game meltdown like we did against the Czechs in 2006, and that we bring in a mostly-healthy team, I like our chances.

2. Hutskizzle says:

damnnn a lot of surprises in the england squad!

3. JL says:

Ives has said Honduras could surprise people in SA. How much does Costly being out change that?

4. Rory says:

Man, this is almost as exciting as the cup draw day!

Are you going to post all the rosters of the big boys here in this one thread as updates, or will they each get their own thread?

5. Andy says:

As a Fulham supporter, I feel bad that Bobby Zamora didn’t get a call up; as a USMNT fan, I’m glad because I think he’d give us some problems.

6. FulhamPete says:

I’m surprised Zamora didn’t get a nod for the ENG30. Sure a bit of an Achilles knock, but he was quite in form up to now.

7. jamesey says:

Costly being out for Honduras is like Donovan being out for the USA

8. Betinho says:

I’m just not shaking in my shoes about England’s squad. i know I’m supposed to be but that line up pales in comparision to the line up Spain trotted out against us – not to mention Brasil’s. i’m really optimistic about our chances to get a result out that match.

In tha past (as recently as the friendly we played in Wembley) I don’t think our players believed they could compete with England. At least in that particular friendly they looked star struck. Ever since that game I believe the confidence as been ever growing. Beginning with the way we competed with Spain and then the draw with Argentina all the way to the CC final I think the players now truly believe they can compete and win. They seem to have learned what level it takes to compete on that level. If England expects the same effort from that Wembley game it will play into the USNT’s favor.

9. Dan Fontaine says:

Dude, totally agree. Zamora had a great year. Really deserved a call. Ah well…

10. Coach says:

King and Dawson are not surprises at all (and a great tandem btw). 2 of the biggest reasons Spurs qualified for CL, along with Gomes. King may be the most gifted CB in England when healthy, and Dawson was massive all season.

11. Betinho says:

ok…I’ll be that guy….

It will prove to be very costly to their chances..

12. Lil' Zeke says:

As someone who opposes Fulham in everything they do, I’m still surprised Zamora didn’t make the cut. He’s super!

13. Leonardo says:

nice one!

14. Lil' Zeke says:

(comment deleted)

15. Coach says:

I agree to an extent, and I think we have a shot vs England, but you have to remember that we are neither as talented nor as deep as we’ve been in cycles past. I know I’m in the minority, but the CC was a glorified exhibition.

16. The Wall says:

Zamora reminds me of a certain player in the mls named Edson buddle. Except Edson is not injured.

17. Rory says:

“When the ball hits ‘ur head,

and you’re seated in row Zed…

That’s Zamora!

He had a great year… but I just love that chant to the tune of “That’s Amore!”

18. josip says:

Odd men out when it’s all said and done (because, of course, not all can go):

Joe Cole

Shaun Wright-Phillips

Darren Bent

Adam Johnson

…it gets complicated from here

19. Rory says:

So Zamora only scores because Donovan sets him up perfectly?

Just kidding. Buddle has good speed but man is he the streakiest forward since Eddie Johnson or what?

20. madmax says:

I like what Capello did, a lot of young players, no part timers, and no nostalgia picks. I think Low at Germany is going in the same direction.

21. war says:

King has played more games and better than Ferdinand, the England captain, so all the talk of him being unfit should go out the window. I think he should personally start over him along with Terry. But, with Ferdinand as captain, I think it’ll get easier with on form King on the bench and Ferdinand with Terry. They aren’t fast, and if LD can do what he did against Chelsea, we have a good shot. I’m not worried. Zamora should have been in for Heskey.

I hope the squad announcement is on ESPN2, but I don’t see it scheuled. Hopefully they interrupt whatever they have on at 2. I hope it’s Jim Rome…

22. Scott says:

I think Gareth Barry will prove to not be fit enough to go.

I personally want to see Joe Cole go, but understand he is on the outside looking in

23. Drew says:

We can BEAT England, not just get a tie or “a result” as some say. Go Team America! F*** Yeah!

24. Vince Clortho says:

The US should worry about beating Algeria and Slovenia 6 pts there would be enough. We can definitely compete with England, but realistically a draw would be fantastic…

25. Betinho says:

Also, i’m glad Rossi made the Italy roster. Ives’ former employer prior to Fox had a very nice (if not opinion changing) piece on Rossi. I’ve turned a corner on him and would be happy for him to live out his dream of playing in the WC for Italy.

(Of course I would have loved for him to play for “us” and will still root for whoever Italy plays against).

26. ELAC says:

I concur. we must play to win, not to draw. Given our injuries and theirs, it will be most interesting to see who plays.

27. Chicago - Scott says:

I am pretty sure Costly will still be there… whether or not he can perform is another question… hopefully he can recover so we can see them represent for CONCACAF

28. war says:

England can pick who they want, but we all know who’s starting, except: Heskey or Crouch with Rooney & the right wing. Their players are well established already. We still need to see Dempsey play up front, Gomez, Buddle, Edu vs Clark, Confed Cup Defense starting together again, Holden getting a full 90 without De-jong in the way. So excited! I really think that we have the edge because we wont have the same squad that played them at Wembley. That suprise factor can give us an edge. 2pm 2pm 2pm!

29. Surprised Bojan and Riera are not on the Spain 30-man roster…selecting 5 goalies is crazy…

30. rob says:

interesting on fox soccer

“New Zealand has played Italy once, a 4-3 loss last year that came right before the Confederations Cup. The match was something of an embarrassment for the Azzurri, who fell behind three times and needed a goal from Vincenzo Iaquinta to escape with the win.”

Percentage chance to progress-0

31. war says:

Riera hasn’t played in a long time. He was suspended. When did he criticize Benitez. month or two ago?

32. baquito alyeska says:

For me, the English squad starts getting a wee bit scarier when you start picking out an 11-man lineup.

33. bigdeadbat says:

that spanish squad…. wow

34. Nico says:

Costly injury is huge for Honduras. He is the heart and soul of that team. Also, I think Welcome would have been picked regardless. Espinoza and Sabillon are the real surprises.

35. ga-gone says:

2pm cant get here fast enough. Then we can immediately begin repeating this madness for the 23 man squad.:D

36. Paul says:

England fan here who’s very happy with the England roster. Joe Cole NEEDS to be there and Carragher’s experience and reliability will be very welcome. I do wish Owen Hargreaves was fully fit and part of me wishes we had Beckham to come off the bench, but otherwise we’re looking pretty good. There’s nobody I can think of who deserves to be there who isn’t (including Zamora – he wouldn’t have made the final cut anyway).

37. William the Terror says:

agreed with both of you, but it will come down to discipline and execution. we will have to stay focused, not be starstruck and keep our shape in the defensive half of the field.

38. StrathconaFC says:

I can’t believe Riera isn’t in Spain’s squad. He blew it by quarreling with Benitez. Also, lots of surprises in England, and a few in Italy.

39. morkuzaukuja says:

Dang. I don’t care what anyone says. That England squad is tough in terms of pure physicality. If its a brute fest we could end up the pinball.

40. away goals says:

Five keepers is even more surprising with so many outfield players nursing injuries. None of fabregas, iniesta or torres is fully fit. Still no room for arteta though.

Everton’s top midfielder can’t crack his country’s 30-man roster. The rest of their mids are arguably the best players on their national teams: donovan, pienaar, fellaini, cahill.

41. fischy says:

That’s a deep team, when those guys won’t make the trip. I’d say they’d all start for USA, if healthy.

42. David says:

Maybe Zamora turned the call in down because he can’t wear his lucky number 25 in international games. Haha, seriously he is a workhorse who would be way better than Heskey. To bad for England.

43. Dancy says:

I am happy for Rossi as well.

44. war says:

Can’t wait for France’s squad. Wonder if Domenech finished his board games to figure it out. It’s getting late over there.

45. fischy says:

It really is ridiculous. If you can’t narrow that by now, a couple of weeks in a camp isn’t going to help. It’s not like the USMNT, where there are so many question marks at so many positions due to injuries, or lack of talent.

46. NC Jeff says:

If it does turn into a brut fest, I think we’re screwed … no way the Ref. doesn’t eventually put us a man down (not against England) … with our guy(s) also gone for Game 2. The referee just simply won’t want to take a chance of making any kind of serious mistake vs. England … fearing he wouldn’t get asked to work Premiere League, Champions League, etc. games in the future.

47. PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo says:

Betinho,

Amen. The ‘fluff’ piece at link to soccernet.espn.go.com

is a really well produced video by the “other Bradley” that explores the mind of Rossi. He is ‘American’ by mind/habit & ‘Italian’ in his football. His Italian teamates call him “Americano” & his Spanish teamates at Villareal call him “Italiano”…can’t get better than that.

I take back everything I said about the Civics classes at Clifton NJ sounds like you did your American Indoctrination as well as can be expected.

48. Wade says:

I heard it was going to be on ESPNnews

49. doktoramor says:

Actually – when Pavon and Suazo play up front together and have only lost once or twice in the past few years. So with Costly out, this forces the issue. Walter Martinez is not as good, but will come on as a sub at the end of the game. Honduras has a great chance to make it to the 2nd round and surprise everyone, but only if they can play the full 90 minutes. Usually they do well for 80 minutes and then buckle to a fitter opponent.

50. Howard1334 says:

This is absolute bs! Arteta should be on the spanish squad, 5 keepers and like 8 strikers… When they are strongest in midfield. Why???? They should have more midies…. I just dont understand how they dont select Arteta he is arguably the 4th best midfielder in England after Lampard, Fab, and Gerrard, statistically he actually is for the last 4 years. I personally think their should be no question.

51. Beckster says:

West Ham’s site has announced that Spector made the 30 and is giving out his schedule over the next couple of weeks.

link to whufc.com

52. josip says:

for sure, players like that deserve to go and play in a WC. The 3 lions have serious depth, but looking at Spain’s 30 was even more of a trip…how did we beat that team??

53. Mike says:

NC Jeff, you’re assuming that the ref’s from England in order to do Premier league (he won’t be) and assuming he’s from europe to do CL (he may not be.)

that being said, it is hard to envision us out-muscling England and us not pick up a card or four that we don’t deserve.

54. madmax says:

I like Capello’s picks. There was one nostalgia pick in the 30, Heskey. They are a young and talented squad. If England can protect their goalies I see them going far into tournament.

55. sread says:

LD can roast any CB tandem ENG puts on the field. Terry can’t get away with his dirty play on the WC level. If a fit Chuck Davies paired with Jozy up top, I would love our chances of scoring the first goal. I think any success against ENG will certainly come from our ability to maintain possession and draw free kicks from 30 – 40 yards out–give our big CBs a chance to cause problems in the box.

56. japan says:

Japan is bringing in a group of forwards far worse than the US and left out arguebly their best player.

57. Sean says:

Will this post be updated throughout the day?

58. Brian S says:

Does anyone know if the announcement will be broadcast on ESPN 3. I know it probably won’t but it’s worth a shot

59. baquito alyeska says:

I tried to chasing this one and ended up frustrated in the rabbit hole. All I found was one guy repeating this claim on twitter with no link/evidence. Best I can figure this was just a spam effort to generate blog hits/twitter followers/notoriety.

60. away goals says:

Mikel arteta: 8th best center mid in the world, 5th best center mid for spain.

Iniesta, xavi, fabregas, xabi alonso. Sneijder, lamparad, gerrard. Then arteta. Room for disagreement, I know.

Man city would do well to bring arteta to eastlands over the summer. With ireland injured/under-performing, they lacked a solid playmaker. Plus his price won’t be artificially inflated like the guys who do feature in the world cup.

61. DC Josh says:

England will score at least one goal, maybe two. So we need to make sure we score when we have the chance. If we score 2, our chances of winning are significant, if we score 1, maybe draw, if we don’t score, no win.

The first 20 minutes will be so critical.

62. OC says:

Just a few thoughts.

Bradley’s piece on Rossi was awesome. I love the story. I was a 70% “hate the guy” but after reading that I have come to appreciate him, his story, and his decisions. I still want Italy out in the 1st though, watching that Coppa Italia final reaffirmed my hatred for Italian football.

England has always been my 2nd favorite team. I love the EPL and all those players. Ledley King is a monster, hope he makes the 23. I am a big Joe Cole fan and I appreciate Phillips but I think Adam Johnson is the next big thing at winger accross the pond. I have watched a good deal of City games and I am always impressed with his fearless play and great skill set.

Very disappointed about Bojan not getting there, but if its Pedro or Bojan, then I understand. Portugal’s roster prompts me to remember Ricardo Quaresma and all the potential he had, disappointing career thus far. Excited for France. Pissed about Kuranyi, despite all the German firepower up front. I think he could really rep his country well and it sucks when front office problems cost you a ticket (a la Clarence Seedorf).

Really can’t wait for the rest of the squads to be unveiled!

63. war says:

Ivory Coast is up too ives

64. DC Josh says:

We have no chance of maintaining possession against England. It will be sit and counter. Which is a tactic I have embraced.

65. sjack says:

I’ve only heard ESPN News so far.

66. DC Josh says:

I am happy for him on a personal level, losing his father is tragic. Making the final squad would be great for him.

However, I still have venom for him on the pitch.

67. madmax says:

yes said ives

68. DC Josh says:

You know it can take forever to beat someone once they get a hotel on Park Place…

69. Aaron in StL says:

Man, what a downhill year for Joleon Lescott. He seemed like a virtual lock for England, able to play CB and cover at LB. When he was with Everton he was gaining a lot of attention. I know he’s been injured a bunch, but just interested me.

I think BB needs to take a full 30 to camp, and let their be a cage match between the strikers to see who goes.

70. Paul says:

Can’t wait for North Korea’s roster! Maybe the most star-studded in the entire tourney!

71. madmax says:

A. Johnson has some of the same skills as Robben. USA should never bite and always stay on his left boot.

72. johnnycougar says:

Joe Cole was the one English player in the last world cup who always played like he gave a damn. Shame he’s not likely to go back.

73. DC Josh says:

All this talk about the England squad looking weak is BS. Here is how they could lineup:

———–James—————

G.Johnson—Terry–Ferdinand–Cole

Lennon–Carrick–Lampard–Gerrard

——-Rooney—Defoe———–

Just speculating. Gareth Barry won’t be ready, insert Carrick. Capello could go more defensive and insert Milner on the right for Lennon to contain Donovan, but Lennon is too good to leave on the bench.

I can’t wait.

74. micah says:

Couldn’t agree more. We’re not gonna shut out England, and we’re not gonna score more than 2. So, best case scenario is a 2-1 win, more likely a 1-1 draw, and at worst a 2-3 or 3-0 loss.

75. A.S. says:

Heskey? Really? Why?

Heskey didn’t even favor over Agbonlahor at Villa. So why is Capello taking him over Agbonlahor for England? Seems an odd choice to me. (Likewise the exclusion of of the Villan Ashley Young, but that’s a different story, given the midfield talent available, I guess.)

76. rob says:

ESPN.com: You played mostly at left back with West Ham this season. Have you spoken to [U.S. manager] Bob [Bradley] about where you might line up in South Africa?

JS: I’ve spoken to him but nothing is set in stone. The team’s not chosen. I don’t think anyone’s position is entirely certain. You have to be playing well and earn it. What he’s going to decide in terms of who plays where is entirely his decision. Most of my games this year have, as you mentioned, been at left back at West Ham. I’m comfortable there. I’d prefer to play there, but again, wherever the manager asks me to play is where I’ll be playing.

Yes spector has not been doing well at Lb for west ham, but he had no help. I think if he needs to play there, LD will help him out a lot more.

77. OC says:

Agree with both. Though I like Heskey, I think Gaby and Young are both GREAT players who should get a look. My goodness it must be so tough to be a National team manager. Wow.

And DC Josh, completely agree. That is a FORMIDABLE XI. I don’t see any holes. MAYBE a tad inconsistent at keeper but as far as the outfield, very solid. Aaron Lennon has the potential to run circles around the best in the world; if his final ball can be up to par this WC, England is looking very good.

78. DC Josh says:

Yeah I thought that was interesting as well, getting Spector’s take on his best position. I still think he is behind Boca. If Boca moves to the middle, then Spector on the left Dolo on right.

79. away goals says:

The gap in depth between england and the us is incredible. England have guys who didn’t make the 30-man roster who could definitely make an impact on a match. They’ll be cutting seven world class players to get down to 23.

The us could probably pare their roster down to 19 before we start losing guys who wouldn’t hurt us on the field. That’s why it’s not worth getting bent out of shape about bradley’s 30-man decisions. With the exception of gomez, buddle, and davies, nobody’s inclusion/exclusion will have a real impact on the squad that ends up taking the field.

80. sread says:

yeah really…when everybody knows Iker Casillas starts for Spain with one hand tied behind his back, why use so many spots on GKs?

81. JL says:

Wow. You’re right. That’s a daunting lineup.

82. bottlcaps says:

Does anyone find it ironic or laugh out load funny that West Ham United, who barely avoided relegation is naming, not one, but two players to the WC and both of them defenders (66 goals against) Matthew Upson and Jonathan Spector we salute you and salute your good fortune that neither team has plenty of depth at defender.

83. war says:

word is ronaldinho isn’t on the brazil squad.

84. Adam M. says:

Brazil left off hopefuls Ronaldinho, Adriano, Pato, Neymar, Marcelo, Diego, Hulk, and Roberto Carlos (and Ronaldo). Someday, perhaps, we in the US will be able to produce such quality players and leave them off our side as well. Grafite and Kleberson (perhaps) are the only real surprises.

85. jimoh8002 says:

The smart managers in europe chose iinjured players and young player with potential weather proven or unproven on there preliminry roster. I hope Bradley follows wisdom and does the same (Adu, Gooch and Davies)

86. JayJay says:

What are Kljestan’s legit chances of making this team?

87. OC says:

Coach Dunga pisses me off, as well as the Brazilian people. I read somewhere that the public were literally calling for his head when he spoke about Ronaldinho ‘having his chance’ and not being up to par. He is having a stellar season. Diego is great. Hulk is very important to his club. I don’t understand Dunga’s philosophy.

But alas, one can’t argue with results. His philosophy won them the Confederations Cup. A big part of me hopes he really ends up regretting the Dinho snub, though.

88. TomM says:

Interesting question- how would the US fare against a team composed of players left off the Spain-England-Brazil rosters?

89. OC says:

Oh, and, West Ham is a long-ball team that relies heavily on hoping that Carlton Cole can hang on to near-aimless balls hurled up at him to try and start attacks. There is very little creativity or chemistry on that side, and their attacking tactics lead to vwery little possession.

Who has the ball when you don’t have possession? The other team. And thus, the goals come. I saw West Ham combine well ONCE all season, and that led to Boa Morte scoring on the last day of the EPL. 66 goals is a lot but when your team does’nt hold on to the ball you can’t expect 90 minutes of clean sheet.

90. Rory says:

But I don’t know that it’s as scary looking as it would have been 18 months ago. We’ve gone toe to toe with Spain and Brazil, both of which would easily beat England. Terry and Ferdinand both seem past it, and James in goal would easily be the second best goalie on the field that day. Rooney is a man-beast, but if you can concentrate on Rooney then could Defoe slaughter you… probably not.

Gerrard and Lamps can’t play together as we’ve all seen.

On paper, sure, each of these players are great. Yeah, together they’re favorites, but this isn’t the way it used to be. We can play with these guys.

91. Cope1418 says:

Do players carry red card or yellow card suspensions from qualifying to the World Cup itself?

92. Paul says:

No. I’m 99% sure that everyone starts the tournament with a clean slate.

93. B1878 says:

It’s amazing how close he was to being capped by T&T last year.

94. DC Josh says:

Kljestian has a 70% chance of making the 30-man squad, and 20% chance of making the final roster.

He’s better off staying home and doodling on twitter.

95. war says:

how huntelaar made the netherlands squad and not van nistelrooy is beyond me.

96. William the Terror says:

ONE HOUR TO GO!!! then we can at least limit our arguments to the merits of the 30 men selected by BB (although I’m sure that there will be many who will piss and moan that one or more of their favorites were not selected).

97. Erik says:

Shocker from Brazil. Diego, Ronaldinho and Pato not on the list? Wow…

Not just because of these players, but I don’t think Brazil can win the Cup this go around. I don’t think Spain will either because they are choke artists.

My guess, Germany and France go deep…

98. bryan says:

god, i wish it was 2pm.

99. Goalscorer24 says:

Ives, If Charlie Davies does not make the US squad do you think they would take him along as a honorary/inspirational figure kind of like England is doing with Beckham?

100. war says:

BABEL TOO?! ughh

101. bryan says:

as a DCU fan, this is good because it likely means they will be at RFK in 2 weeks! Dinho and Pato, that is.

102. Erik says:

The list will not be full of surprises…

103. Erik says:

That would be awesome to see. Too bad in Atlanta we don’t get much love.

Was cool to see Dinho though when Milan were here and see Gooch’s first appearance where he got burned for a goal. : )

104. Erik says:

Totally agree – Ruud is the classic center forward who can score out of nowhere. Even if just as a sub.

However, as long as I’ve watched this game, it just means I am getting older and the great players you grew up watching are getting older too.

105. DC Josh says:

Yeah I agree with you. We will be up for it more than they will. They are the ones with all the pressure. I was just pointing out how strong of a squad they are, but we certainly shouldn’t be scared of them. Luckily, the World Cup isn’t won on paper.

106. Warren says:

Right, their top 11 v ours…our keeper is better : )

We hold our own at a few spots – cough, Donovan Dempsey Bradley.

But say Rooney v Jozy…is not a fair fight.

107. away goals says:

Any soccer/legal experts out there who can confirm this? Algeria had a couple red cards in their final match of the ACN. I was under the impression those guys would miss out on at least one match…

108. DC Josh says:

Yeah Ruud was horrible for Hamburg against Fulham. Imagine how he’d do against Internationals. We’re just getting old.

109. jamesey says:

anyone know if there will be an online video stream of the usa player announcement

110. Erik says:

It’s like me playing against teenagers – over 30 is just easier for my old knees. : )

111. Anthony says:

Looking at Cameroon’s squad, I think they have a legitimate shot of going to the 2nd round.

112. Warren says:

maintain possession?

You sir must be from somewhere else, we Americans don’t believe in it. Or can’t do it.

113. Adam M. says:

I agree about Ronaldinho, who brings things to the table that seem lacking on the side Dunga picked. But Diego has been usually awful when playing for Brazil and Hulk isn’t at Grafite’s level yet, so I understand those omissions.

114. Adam M. says:

Better question: How would Brazil fare againast a team composed of players left off of Brazil’s roster?

115. Warren says:

maybe they can double as defenders??

Unless there’s some nagging injuries among top 3 keepers really makes no sense.

116. 45234523452345234 says:

I am rooting for Honduras all the way. Honduras and Australia. (Besides USA obviously)

117. JayJay says:

Good. I am just always wary with Big Bradley and “his guys”. Would hate to see Sacha get a spot and guys like Gomez or even Buddle, who have earned spots in a position that lacks depth, be left out in the cold.

118. Adam M. says:

Not a shocker at all if you’ve been paying attention to Dunga’s comments. But the “team” they aren’t bringing is pretty amazing. Not sure why you think the South American and Confederations Cup holders can’t win.

119. Warren says:

who is?

and why left out?

120. RooneyFan_05 says:

I don’g get Gilberto Silva, Elano, Julio Baptista, and even Robinho over Ronaldinho. He has found his form at Milan, and who can create better than him. I think Dunga has announced he will “defend” his way through the final, and look for quick counter attacks. Sound familiar. Well at least someone learned something from Confederations Cup!

121. Anthony says:

For the brazil squad, dunga still has to reveal the 7 mandatory players taking part in the provisional squad. Anyhow, I believe they would lack some creativity in the midfield, putting the pressure on Kaka.

122. Warren says:

Easily beat England?

Not from what I see – the Brazilians seem to tip England even more than Spain as main competition for Cup.

123. Josh D says:

The gaffer said Zamora told him he couldn’t so it came down to the player choosing the team over himself.

124. Warren says:

Brazilians brag – but it’s probably true – that they could fill 3 World Cup contender squads.

125. Josh D says:

Bradley doesn’t come any where to the likes of Lampard or Gerrard in the middle.

Dempsey and Donovan are the only ones who can stay toe to toe with them in open play.

126. JL says:

Though I am still unproven at 43, and I’ve got a trick knee, I know my potential is sky high and I’m waiting confidently for my callup.

127. bryan says:

yeah, i saw them play chelsea up in baltimore as well. was awesome, despite the 3 hours trip from arlington, va to balitmore, md.

128. Rory says:

Does anyone seriously think England could beat Spain or Brazil in a neutral country?

And as far as the “England will like it being colder” goes, Spain and Brazil both played in South Africa last Summer and probably have a better feel for the high altitude.

129. bryan says:

yeah, that would be clutch.

130. sjack says:

I think the yellows go away, but the reds (from a final qualifying match) carry over. Don’t quote me, but I think that’s correct.

131. Lost in Space says:

France….I’m hoping they go home after 3 matches.

132. away goals says:

Too late, buddy, I’ve cited your name to everybody I’ve talked to about it. Your neck is totally on the line.

Now are ACN red cards handled differently than WCQ red cards?

133. nuts says:

man that dutch team has so many good players. is there a reason brazil doesn’t take pato? or even ronaldinho as a super sub?

134. Aaron in StL says:

Many pundits are guessing that Heskey somehow makes the 23 over Defoe (which would be silly).

Sure, that’s a great lineup but I’d take our chances with that, especially given how shaky that back line has been. They better be damn sure that the CB’s can handle Johnson and Cole making runs up, because Terry and Rio have been exposed many times this year in the EPL.

135. Patrick says:

Your right, Jozy would knock the sh!t out of Shrek in a fair fight.

136. Erik says:

Well, I am too as my contempt for French football is almost as bad as for Portuguese football. But, big teams tend to rebound after previous cup disappointments.

137. Aaron in StL says:

Would the reds be able to be served out in a friendly/warm up match at the end of May?

138. Brad says:

Brasil’s team is so boring. Anyone else see the comments that Shearer had concerning the England squad? Said that other teams should be excited about going up against England’s shaky defense.

139. Aaron in StL says:

Do you think he at least gets in the 30 man? Sochaux have another game left that he could possibly appear in, correct? However much a doubt it’d be nice to see him get a shot. I’d take a flyer on CD9 over Casey any day

140. Erik says:

Not saying they “can’t” win but Dunga is not a coach who brings the true Brazilian flair to the team.

Brazil likes to entertain and they seem very direct and not “Brazil” these days. They looked good at the Confederations Cup… oh wait, they beat the US twice, South Africa, Egypt and an under performing Italian side.

So maybe not so much. And Egypt, the US and South Africa gave them a game.

141. Aaron in StL says:

It may just that it didn’t get as much press in years past, but it seems like a lot of guys are coming off injuries this year, a lot more major names.

142. No TV Man says:

anyone know where i can watch ESPNNews on the net ?

143. Adam M. says:

That is the essential critique of Dunga and the role that Ronaldinho would have filled. Kaka doesn’t have the pressure to fill that role though because they are basically a counterattacking side and use Kaka’s speed and power to drive the counter. Brazil’s problem might be breaking up the “all hands on defense” ploy.

144. srfinger says:

any pirate feed for the announcement? atdhe only has espn.

145. Rory says:

I feel sad he lost his father.

However, when I read this fluff piece and he says “Off the field I feel like an American” I just want to piss blood. Seriously… this is the worst insult he could say. He might as well say “I love all America could give me and my father, but I just don’t want to give anything back.”

I hope he rides the bench (or better yet, watches from home) in South Africa and doesn’t make it to Brazil. Hope he never makes it to the World Cup and regrets passing on America.

146. Brad says:

espn360.com maybe?

147. Brad says:

espn.com might carry it live…

148. war says:

Man. The hapless anti-soccer fans would go crazy if they saw a man with Hulk on the back of his jersey.

149. sjack says:

Article 38, paragraph 2, letter % of FIFA Disciplinary code.

Match suspensions in relation to an expulsion pronounced on a player

outside of a competition (separate match[es]) or not served during

the competition for which they were intended (elimination or the last

match in the competition) are carried over as follows:

confederation competitions for representative teams: carried over

to the representative team’s next offi cial match in a competition

organised by FIFA;

How about that???

150. bryan says:

probably, but i get it for free at home (cox customer) so i dont have an account at work i can sign into.

151. MissionSDFC says:

almost go time for the selection!!

152. OC says:

The problem with Brazil is as follows: Dunga is all about defense and solid play at the back and going forward from there. The Brazilian people, and those who love what Brazil has been in recent history, do not see eye to eye with these philosophies. They want flare, they want swag, they want creativity and ability on the ball and spectacle.

NOT TO SAY that Dunga’s philosophies are not solid or well-founded in the game of football, but for those of us who are seeing this sort of ‘transition state’ in Brazilian football, it’s disappointing that the players we love, who once EMBODIED the idea of Brazilian football, are snubbed. Brazil however will still be a great side this tournament.

Two minutes until we know what we are working with!

153. japan says:

Shinji Kagawa, 21 yrs old who just signed for Dortmund few hours ago.

43 goals in 79 games in J League 2 the past two seasons and promoted his team. Leads in goals this season in the J League so far with 6 goals in 11 games. This is coming from a player that plays in the middle of the field. Take the goals out and he still dominates the league.

First player to ever be called into the national team from a J League 2 side and he was only 18 at that time. He got cut because he doesn’ fit into the style the coach wants the team to play.

Better than Nakamura and Honda imo. He’s got everything you need to become a future top 20 player in the world. Hopefully Dortmund will keep on developing him.

154. Aaron in StL says:

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.tv

155. DC Josh says:

there is a link on above stated site beginning with “a” that says “World cup squad announcements” for 2:25.

156. war says:

HERE WE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

COME ON YOU YANKS!!!!!!

157. madmax says:

It blows the mind the players that Brazil omits.

158. war says:

get ready for ESPN announcers who know nothing about soccer to read the squad and give their opinions.

159. Dominghosa says:

Here it comes …

160. Aaron in StL says:

Eh, look back and you’ll see this isn’t a Dunga thing. Been going on for some time. Even the Romario/Bebeto ’94 team was a team built on stout defense and quick, opportunistic attacking.

Tim Vickery on BBC does a good job documenting it a few months back. People have fallen in love with some idea when in reality they have been playing this way far longer than most think. Dunga is just an “escape goat” as Michael Scott would say

161. DC Josh says:

following via twitter. what has the world come to…

162. Dominghosa says:

Wow. Chad Marshall makes it.

163. Dominghosa says:

His chamce ot make the final 23

164. war says:

GKs: obvious

Def:Yes Gooch. Marhsall get off.

Mid:Robbie Rogers? Sacha? What?!!

Forward:Good. Findley and Ching leave my sight. No Davies or EJ?

165. Dominghosa says:

No Davies. Get ready for 2014 kid.

166. Second City says:

Well, it’s Gomez’ spot to lose now with Davies not being there.

Go get em Herculez, make us proud in training!
    – – – – –
    Seriously though, Sacha Klejstan?

I guess we see why Herculez wanted to train with Chivas USA. It’s like a freaking guaranteed Willy Wonka-Golden Ticket.

167. brant says:

Marshall and Rogers for The Crew, but no Frankie. Bummer – was hoping Frankie would get a mulligan after being hurt in ’06. Would’ve liked to see him go over either Bornstein or Pearce (who are essentially interchangeably bad).

168. DC Josh says:

someone gimme the list

169. joseph says:

F YOU BRADLEY

Sacha and Eddie get in over Chuck….you are a heartless moronic dbag

neither will make the team, why not bring chuck in

170. Warren says:

Wow from your description sound like a big mistake.

I’ll keep an eye on him in Bundesliga. With this snub he’ll have some points to prove.

171. Brando says:

No Chuck D. I’m gonna cry

172. phil says:

i’d as soon sh$t in his mouth than congratulate him. or Subotic.

173. Hopper says:

Better than Nakamura? Those are strong words.

174. Sean says:

Buddle in, Davies out…wow! He is absolute garbage. He could score 50 goals in MLS for all I care. I also hope he proves me wrong.

Brazil 2014 here we come.

175. war says:

All in all, good squad that should make the 23. just have to bear through the other trash included. They just said this is based on who can contribute on a WC roster. So.. why are marshall, rogers, Sacha, Findley on this list? How much more do you need to see from these idiots other than they suck? EJ>Findley. BS

I really dont like these ESPN people. They’re idiots. Without ives they’re absolutely auugh.

If you bring Gooch, you bring Davies. I hope they dont make it, i’m pleading. Good to see no Casey though.

176. Isaac says:

Bother to think that maybe he’s not healthy?

177. Brian S says:

I absolutely want to slap Bob Bradley in the face. Findley? Klejstan? Rodgers? No Davies and no Adu? What the hell?

178. Warren says:

No Dunga takes it to another level, the Brazil squads of past few decades included flair players like Ronaldinho. But that is just not Dunga’s way.

179. Second City says:

Awesome.

Let’s complain about someone covering it live, unlike other SPECIFIC TO THE SPORT CHANNELS…………..

Give it a rest.

180. MissionSDFC says:

disappointed that Sascha and Findely both made it somehow

181. Hopper says:

I don’t get the Robbie Rogers and Chad Marshall selections. They’ve both been awful this season for Columbus. If you can’t hack it in MLS, how are you gonna contribute at the World Cup?

182. ThaDeuce says:

USA USA

I don’t have ESPN News,

what’s the camp roster!?!

183. Aaron in StL says:

So are these the only 30 that can possibly go to South Africa? Or can there be injury replacements? I ask because with only 3 keepers, I’m just curious if we could bring somebody else if there were an accident or something.

184. sjack says:

185. Second City says:

Given other countries have stated as such, I imagine in the event of an injury, etc…USA has some players they can allow in to camp.

Pure speculation on my part though, since I’m not familiar with the exact nuances of this process.

186. war says:

you can replace with people (don’t need to have been on 23) only if they are seriously injured up to 24hrs before the first game.

-FIFA.com

187. war says:

*been on the 30

188. Erik says:

There are some people who should be nowhere near that list – which is why 7 of them won’t make it.

Davies probably isn’t healthy enough… he should come along anyway and everyone should remember that he was breaking team rules when he was in that car crash. Sometimes you learn lessons in life. On to 2014.

189. ThaDeuce says:

Damn,

what a blow to Charlie Davies!….

Somber.

wow.

I would have added Davies, and maybe Adu, over KLJESTAN and ROGERS… ARGH

Other than that, I can’t complain. Kljestan, Rogers, Marshall, and 2 of Casey, Johnson, Buddle, and Gomez won’t be in the final, so i can’t complain more about it.

But I am really upset Kljestan and Rogers were included over Davies. Suckedy Suck Suck

If Kljestan goes to South Africa, I will be sad he isn’t wearing number 9, and be pissed he took the place of Torres, Clark, Feilhaber/ whoever it is.

Come on Bob!

People, be looking for a link to a Charle Davies response somewhere, I wanna know his thoughts.

190. patrick says:

thats the pool that bob can select from to take 23 players to SA. SO if his name isn’t on there he can’t come to SA. Bradley was just on espn news and said that he’d been in touch with sochaux and that davies just wasn’t cleared medically. He seemed genuinely disappointed, but the man has a job to do. The kljestan call up is questionable, as is chad marshall but most likely neither are going to SA, same with pearce, whom i like more than bornstein.

191. Hokie_Futbol says:

Now that Davies isn’t able to go I gotta pick a new jersey to buy. Will Bradley wear 4 or 12? What do you guys think Bradley, Altidore, Holden, or Donovan? I wanted to get ballsy and get Bedoya but I’m not sure of his number either.

192. Second City says:

At least this figurative ” carrot on a stick ” has propelled him for a probable healthy start at the beginning of the season at Sochaux.

Just trying to make a positive out of a huge disappointment for all of us but most of all, Chuck-D himself.

193. war says:

my 7-Casey, Ching, Findley, Rogers, Sacha, Marshall,EJ/Bornstein

194. rob says:

keep it, go to SA and hold it up with a sign that says “you can never replace him” in the event Findley comes on

195. Rocco says:

The mind reels…

Okay just the preliminary. Let’s not be dramatic.

196. madmax says:

Unless they tear up training and the first friendly I’d like to see these guys cut first,

Sacha Kljestan, Robbie Rogers, Conor Casey,
    then DaMarcus Beasley, Brian Ching.

197. Warren says:

Yeah I do.

More often than not England loses to those 2, but on a given day.

198. Erik says:

Don’t get me wrong, I think he should have been included, but we as fans are not privy to certain information. He isn’t ready, nor will he be. His game is built on speed and a never say die attitude – maybe he comes along with the team anyway, but not as a player.

199. Dan says:

Sacha, Beas, Bornstink – When will Bradley ever learn? When these guys flunk out of the group stage, I pray BB will fall and his sword and give the USMNT a break.

200. Erik says:

Bornstein, as much as I dislike him, should stay on the roster. I also think Ching should go because you need experience at the World Cup and he has that. He could at least hold the ball up late in games or something.

Casey, Findley, Rogers, Marshall are a complete waste of time. Sascha was always going to be there…

201. wyofan says:

Right, we can’t win if we don’t score.

I know what you meant, it just read pretty funny…

202. William the Terror says:

Donovan and Altidoe will be the “mass appeal” jersey choices. I like both of them, but I’d go with Bradley junior.

203. joga bonito says:

well actually thats been dungas style from the jump, which is why he gets so much heat from brazil’s media, because he doesnt choose “beautiful soccer”. which after looking at who he left off..i kinda agree. would have loved to see if neymar can make an impression on the big stage..eh, maybe in 4 years.

204. war says:

I could’ve sworn I saw him. then EJ and Borstein lose out (I hope Pearce can show him up). Guess BB realized he’d eat all the food.

205. Rocco says:

Point of order? Are links to the U.S. soccer site banned?

206. NathanHJ says:

Rats. Prelim list I saw had Casey instead of Findley. Don’t like either choice. Was willing to give Davies a chance over either of them.

207. ThaDeuce says:

My 23 from this list

3 GK: Howard, Guzan, Hahneman

8 Def: Boca, Gooch, Demeritt, Spector, Dolo, Bornstein, Pearce, Goodson

9 Mid: Bradley, Edu, Clark, Feilhaber, Dempsey, Donovan, Holden, Beasley, Bedoya

3 Striker: Ching, Buddle, Altidore

I’d bring Bedoya, Feilhaber, Beasley, and Pearce over Torres…not sure if that is right or not, it is debatable for sure. If Pearce can look better than Bornstein, I’d like to see Torres stay in place of Bornstein, especially with the added cover of Beasley as 4th choice left back. I’d post an expected starting line-up, but I am pretty sure even the average fan could pick out the starters in this group.

I would have been happy to see Davies for Buddle, but Buddle has earned it, and obviously Davies wasn’t fit. I’m sure it was not an easy decision for Bradley to make, but I’m sure he made the right one. Thoughts are with Davies at this moment.

208. war says:

i would’ve preferred actual soccer commentators. Tommy and Robbie!

209. rob says:

ball boy?

210. ThaDeuce says:

whoa, the people who posted it on here first were wrong!

ahh, misinformation, must rethink everything, lol.

still, davies wasn’t on it.

USSOCCER just posted the real list.

211. Warren says:

Look on the bright side: West Ham defenders like Jonathan got a LOT of practice defending the West Ham goal which was under siege all season.

212. ThaDeuce says:

So the list I was working off of was incorrect.

Ouch.

213. LB says:

Doesn’t Franco play for Mexico, making it three?

214. Erik says:

By the way, so glad to see Bedoya on the roster!

215. Cyrus says:

France’s roster please…I hear no Nasri, Benzema, or Viera

216. LB says:

Crazy

217. dinho says:

correct:

link to fifa.com

how do you take diaby and not nasri???

218. DoPe says:

cmon Les Bleus, I’m waiting!

219. jig says:

hes been an automatic starter for england for a while

220. Yinka Double Dare says:

That’s Raymond Domenech’s middle name.

221. bottlcaps says:

I totally agree with that. Frankie was a long shot, but his experience is key and the fact that his work rate is still better than any the other named defenders and even at his advanced age, he is still faster than most, he should have been in the prelim 30, especially over “Boo-Boo Bornstein”

222. chg says:

You and Betinho make two. I hope his entire international career is full of disappointment and misery.

223. Jack and Diane says:

Owen Hargreaves

224. Sol Campbell says:

Well, if he starts King will have to play at least 3 games in 11 days. I think he did something like that recently but lets see if he can do that again.

225. SGEricksson says:

Not that big a deal against England, they will go Route One on us lots of crosses, lots of shots from distance. Howard and Gooch and Demerit should be able to handle that as long as our midfield holds together. It will come down to basic team defense and how well we do on counters.

226. NewfrigginJersey says:

Well, instead of thinking about him as American, I think of him as a kid from Roselle Park (not Tea-friggin-neck), New Jersey. No matter what you say, or what he did, he’s a kid from Jersey.

And chances are he’ll be starting for Italy in the World Cup if they have any brains.

227. Dears says:

3 goalkeepers are FIFA mandated

228. Eric says:

I have been waiting for someone to say that.

229. Illiterate says:

As it applies to the question, English please?

230. Manny F says:

Yeah, I would agree but Low picked 2 part timers from Bayern Munich over Kuranyi.

231. Hey Ives,

This question is for you or anyone on the board who knows. How many MLS players are on a preliminary roster as it stands right now? Not just the USA, but all 32 nations. I’m just curious, Thanks everyone.

232. rob says:

IVES-For Argentina, wouldn’t Zanetti and Cambiasso be noteworthy absentees?

233. war says:

most are on ours, then new zealand, honduras. Maybe 9 or 10.

234. Ted Decker says:

I was thinking the same thing. Apparently Maradona hasn’t called in Cambiasso since he’s taken over. bad blood maybe? Anyways it’s gonna be hard to deny them when they’re lifting the champions league trophy. I was a bit surprised Gago wasn’t called in either. that midfield isn’t exactly intimidating.

235. dan in wyoming says:

the fact that you did not mention cambiasso as a notable exclusion (especially when you named the 3 you do) is pretty ridiculous…

236. BrooklynFC says:

Well Said Rory, England has too many Type A personalities to function as a cohesive unit.

237. BrooklynFC says:

That would be a dream come true for us……

238. BrooklynFC says:

I love that Specs feels comfortable playing left back but if he starts at left back and dolo starts at Right back and Boca is in the middle the depth off the bench for right back becomes non existant…… If Specs is playing LB it would be unfair to move him to the other side of the field mid game if dolo got injured…..

239. BrooklynFC says:

This is the modern day “To be or not to be”

240. mrf says:

No cambiaso on argentina, but old Man Veron is going. What a disgrace.

241. GoGunners says:

rossi could sit on it

242. jon says:

I hope he’s not playing while we still are. He can root for the US like he said he would in that “fluff” article.
    Plus, screw ESPN for doing that article. It is something that lets them continue to praise soccer only when they can keep it overseas. Anyone else doing that article is picking a juicy topic. ESPN doing it just pisses me off.

243. northcack says:

anybody know what channel the europa league final is on today?