USA vs. Turkey: The Pre-Game Tailgate

U.S. CrestShirt badge/Association crest

Good morning folks. Today is the day the U.S. national team plays its final match before departing for South Africa and the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

The Americans take on Turkey today (2pm, ESPN2, Galavision) in a match that should offer a stern test for Bob Bradley's squad. Bradley is expected to trot out a lineup that will closely resemble the team he will likely field against England on June 12th, though we could see a surprise or two.

One thing we should see today is Carlos Bocanegra at left back after Bradley all but annointed the U.S. captain as his starting left back on Friday. With Bocanegra at left back, that leaves Oguchi Onyewu, Jay DeMerit and Clarence Goodson to man the centerback slots. Goodson has played himself into the conversation and stands a good chance of starting if Oguchi Onyewu has any issues with his knee.

U.S. fans should be feeling better about the team's World Cup draw after Algeria's 3-0 loss to Ireland on Friday. Algeria struggled badly and looks like a safe bet to struggle in South Africa.

SBI will have coverage of the USA-Turkey match throughout the day, including a match-day commentary, so please be sure to follow along here. For now, feel free to share your pre-game thoughts on today's match in the comments section below.

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

69 Responses to USA vs. Turkey: The Pre-Game Tailgate

1. Rhino says:

I sure hope Servet plays for Turkey. He tops my #SoccerBadassesPowerRankings.

2. Pappajohn says:

Getting ready to leave for the match. Family outing. I’m wearing the an old ’98 USA jersey. Can’t wait to see the team in action. Prediction: USA 3, Turkey 1.

3. emanuel says:

Do we have a goal celebration coach? Can’t have another Stuart Holden embarrassment in South Africa

4. Joe from Philly says:

Leaving for the pre-game festivities at McFadden’s in a few minutes. Our seats are at one of the home side corner flags, 4th row. Looking forward to some great soccer! Take no team lightly! USA! USA! USA!

5. Oni says:

Hopefully Bradley goes with this, if Dempsey’s good, him instead of Holden

. . . . . . Howard

. Dolo . Gooch . Boca . Spector

. . . . . Bradley . Clark
    . Holden . . . . . . . . . Dempsey

. . . . Gomez . . . Altidore

6. Dan says:

i think that was a shout out to CD9..

7. Oni says:

Obviously..

. . . . Bradley . . Clark
    Holden . . . . . . . . . . Donovan

8. timothy says:

…Ives just said Boca is almost certainly at left back. And you have Holden starting over Donovan?

9. emanuel says:

yea but he got it all wrong

10. CSD says:

If Algeria is really bad in South Africa and we sneak through our group by beating them and struggling in the other 2 games this USMNT fan will not really be all that impressed. Algeria lost to a pissed off good Irish team (thinking they should be headed to SA) in Ireland 3-0 and we lost to a young Czech team 4-2 at home so I am not making the assumption they are an easy opponent at this point.

11. dena says:

Jonathan has been terrible at LB this year, why would you want him there?

Howard
    Spector — Onyewu/Goodson — DeMerit — Bocanegra
    Edu — Bradley
    Dempsey/Holden —– Donovan
    Gomez/Dempsey — Altidore

12. Dan says:

haha i think eddie johnson was more of an offender than holden

13. Andy says:

I am also getting ready to leave, need to drive down to philly, 75 miles.. seat c#200s

my prediction USA 1 – Turkey 2

14. aplhas says:

Let Goodson start so Gooch can rest himself and start the Australia match.

15. Hokierama says:

———Howard————

Specter-DeMerit-Gooch-Boca

Holden-BobJr.-Redcardo-Lando

Altidore – Dempsey

Gomez will come in for Altidore in the 2nd half to give us a look that will score in the run of play. I expect Torres for Redcardo and Goodson for Gooch

16. aplhas says:

emanuel is right. I watched the clip of that and was curious what the heck Holden was doing. But he’s of Scottish stock, no wonder he has no rhythm. I kid. I love how they all loved Davies.

17. org says:

Believe in YANKS. We can win all 3 games.

Most likely we draw the English. and we beat Algeria and we draw or win against Slovenia.

18. madmax says:

I didn’t see the game but Ireland is a very good side. I wouldn’t put much weight on the USA or Algeria losses.

19. Hokierama says:

and I like Dempsey to play withdrawn behind Altidore

20. Nathanael Greene says:

As long as we score more goals this year than 2006, I don’t care how they celebrate.

21. Andy says:

Getting ready to leave..need to drive 75 miles down to philly, very excited, got a seat from C#200s..

My prediction is USA 1- Turkey 2

Sercan (Nihat) – Semih

Arda – Tuncay – Emre Belezoglu – Hamit

Hakan(Caner)- EmreGungor(Mehmet Topal)-Servet-Sabri

Volkan

22. Nathanael Greene says:

Beat me to it.

23. org says:

@Andy, I see a US victory but also solid play and the fans being drunk and streaking. It is the City of Brotherly Love btw

24. FulhamPete says:

You’re starting Holden and Gomez over Dempsey?

S’alright. Your call, man.

25. FulhamPete says:

I like that, with Edu for Bob Jr. at the half strictly for minutes on the field.

26. butt says:

So will the team be bringing their WAG’s with them?

and from videos and pics of Jonathon Spector. He seems like quite the indrawn type of guy like he prefers being solo you know. Just seems i guess.

27. Andy says:

I think we are in one of the best groups for us to qualify. Slovenia is not a joke. They eliminated a very good Russian NT in the play-offs. They play typical eastern European style footballs. It’s pyhsical, and very disciplined. Under normal circumstances, they should come second in the group behind England. We need to be very dicisplined, play our best to get the second spot. Algeria is not a joke either. Regardless of their success in African competition where there are teams like Cameroon, Nigeria, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Egypt, they got to be a very team to qualify for the World Cup but our athleticism and stamina is second to none which should lift us up in the group matches. Go USA!

28. Justin O says:

Algeria seem inconsistent, more than bad. They were absolutely horrific v Malawi in the African Cup of Nations, then came back to play pretty well in the rest of the tournament.

And why doesn’t Spector ever factor into the discussion for center back since he’s Mr Versatile?

29. Oni says:

Made a mistake if you read my post.

I said Dempsey over Holden if he’s good to play. Then I accidentally put Dempsey in Landon’s place.

30. ThaDeuce says:

any american outlaw tailgating going on?

31. Nathanael Greene says:

Prepare the tasers…

32. bleepblip says:

please turn in your passport now

33. whb says:

Over There, Over There
    Send the word, send the word,
    Over There
    That the Yanks are coming,
    The Yanks are coming,
    The drums rum tumming everywhere
    So prepare,
    Say a Prayer
    Send the word,
    Send the word to beware
    We’ll be over, we’re coming over.
    And we won’t be back till it’s over over there!

Section 109. See you there.

34. Joamiq says:

Why would Dempsey not be good to play?

35. kfly says:

Right, because predicting against AMERICA in an unbiased fashion is UNPATRIOTIC, and warrants deportation immediately.

Get out now, terrorist.

36. Vik says:

that’s the type of spirit this country was founded on!

37. jig says:

why wont you be impressed? What, do you want us to coast through the group? Newsflash, the only team thats gonna do that in this whole tournament has Xavi and Iniesta in midfield.

38. Pat says:

Question about todays game, and sorry if it’s been answered already.

Is the entire 23 man roster available today, or are they only actually dressing 18?

39. Dave from Charlotte says:

think you meant donovan for dempsey and dempsey for holden…just sayin…

40. hey ives, possible to get rid of the constant requests to add an apli? I have a mac and even if I say yes it can’t find any…

41. Dave from Charlotte says:

entire 23 available

42. kfly says:

Yeah, all that freedom and whatnot. The freedom to kick out foreignors because they’re FOREIGN!!!! I AM ONLY COMFORTABLE LIVING WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE LIKE ME, EVERYONE ELSE IS A TERRORIST WHO WANTS TO DESTROY AMURRICA!!!!!

43. Eric says:

Anyone know if there’s a radio broadcast today?

44. ETJ says:

shhhhhhh…. soccer please

45. blokhin says:

over the next two games the spots in question are: the other forward, the other center mid, Holden/Beasley and of course our injured and sucky defense… to look back at the results of our defensive play over the last 18 months is quite scary, given that we have given up loads of goals against half-decent teams (yes, we did get the shutot of Spain and Egypt, but we gave up 3 vs Honduras, vs Denmark, vs Italy, vs Brazil twice, vs Costa Rica; 2 goals vs Honduras, vs El Salvador, vs Mexico, vs Costa Rica)

I’d like to see Bradley-Torres and Bradley- Edu today. We know what kind of play we get from Bradley-Clark, let’s see more of the other two combinations…

Also Jozy-Dempsey and Jozy-Gomez…

and pray that our defense keep them to 2 or less goals

46. Donovan McNabb says:

NOT THAT YEAR!

Have a cheesesteak for me.

47. Justin O says:

No answer, but I second the question. A radio broadcast available online is what I could really use.

48. Zola Grant says:

Spector has already had a few games for us at CB in the last few months so Bradley knows what’s up with that already. He has other guys to evaluate.

49. PetedeLA says:

But I think we’ll see a new and improved Clark. I’ve mentioned it before in other posts, but in his last games at Frankfurt he seemed like a much more competent all-around player. I’m sure he worked his butt off to get into the first eleven at Frankfurt and I have a feeling many observers that are usually critical of him will be impressed.

Of course, he may also fall into bad habits, but I’m trying to stay optimistic. People forget that a huge reason we did so well against Spain was the fact that we had two very aggressive and athletic(but not necessarily creative) #6′s to thwart attacks. It was a huge part of our game plan. And it will continue to be as long as Bob as coach. Not complaining… just stating the facts as I see it.

Go USA!!!! The Turks will want to put on a show for sure! (I still don’t know how Germany squeaked out a victory at the Euros.)

50. Pat says:

thanks

51. BrianVT says:

Gooch is already plenty fit. He doesn’t need rest. He needs to play the full 90 to work off the rust.

52. AG says:

I only watched most of the first half, but Algeria certainly did not struggle against Ireland. In fact, they were the aggressors and kept a majority of possession much like Mexico 1-3 England. Even though they build up play nicely, at times only playing 3 in the back for long stretches, their final third play was weak.

53. John1 says:

First half: Saudi Arabia 1 Spain 1; Second Half: New Zealand 1 Serbia 0. I think the U.S. will win today.

54. BooThisMan says:

It should also be noted that Algeria fielded only about half of their first-teamers. I’m also wary of reading too much into it. On the other hand, they looked absolutely awful at the Africa Cup, except in the Ivory Coast game – with a total of one goal in the other five games.

55. Funny what a year does, Holden goes from not even a squad member to one of our brightest young talents, Edu comes back to regain his spot from clark, if all the injuries sort themselves out then we have a back four that all play overseas, And now we have better depth in the midfield then we did at the confederations cup which I think really hurt us, I mean we brought sasha in for the Brazil game off the bench, Torres wasn’t ready then to play at that level but now I think he has a better understanding of how to move the ball and feilhaber becomes the fourth option, thats alot better in my mind. I can’t wait for the games. We definetly get out of the group, then the rematch, germany v USA !!

56. Louis Z says:

Plenty fit? I think someone is drinking too much from the cool-aid. Whe he jumped and landed in the wrong foot because he was worried about his bad knee gives me suspicions. Reports are that he is way better since 5 days ago, sounds hard to believe but we will see how the new improved gooch does today.

57. Sergio of SF says:

I would like to see Torres in the middle with Bradley. I doubt we will though. I’ll settle for a Clark-Bradley tandem. I would also like to see the forwards get some good minutes with the starters.

58. PetedeLA says:

In other news, they’ve really got to change the MLS schedule in World Cup years. There’s so much great soccer on TV, why go to the stadium on a day like today?

59. Warren says:

Because Gooch can’t go 90, Goodson watched 2 gos, the guy knows how to plaals against the Czechs, DeMerit’s vision and stomache are foggy, not to mention Boca’s hernia. And we won’t mention Born..

With all that, fact that Spector was toasted in EPL playing on the left this season just means he has more experience at it than Bornstein. Boca’s fine for me on the left – there’s speed and wing talent in France that he’s had to defend for year. But if we need Boca in the middle then Spector’s the #2 LB.

60. Duck says:

Pre-game thoughts: morning beer at 11:00 am Pacific!

61. Warren says:

sorry for typos….you get the message though:

Spector’s looking shaky but at least he’s healthy, on the field, and able to go 90 and experienced at LB.

And won’t embarrass to the extent of Born…I can’t say it.

62. Niccollo says:

i believe iniesta is injured. is he not…

63. Warren says:

64. madmax says:

I see the USA 2-1, goals from Jozy and Gomez.

65. Joamiq says:

That’s… a really weird comment

66. ThaDeuce says:

I assume you tivo. so close! jozy and deuce. Enjoy!

67. ThaDeuce says:

“I would like to see Torres in the middle with Bradley. I doubt we will though.” But we did, and it was amazing! good request!

68. ThaDeuce says:

Well said!

69. Seb says:

Ives – as much as I want US to succeed, the comment that Algeria is a sure bet to struggle is a little unfounded.