Onyewu training with AC Milan

OguchiOnyewu 5(Reuters)

Oguchi Onyewu's health status has been kept a secret in recent weeks, but video has surfaced showing Onyewu training with club team AC Milan.

While AC Milan has not formally announced that Onyewu is back training with the team, this video would suggest that he is back training with the first team. The video, taken from Tuesday's training session, does not show actual game play so it is still unclear how far along Onyewu is, but from the short video it does appear as if he is healthy enough to do conditioning and agility drills with the team.

Onyewu has been sidelined since last October after suffering a ruptured patellar tendon in the U.S. national team's World Cup qualifying draw vs. Costa Rica last Oct. 10. The original timetable for Onyewu to return was miss six months, which he reached almost two weeks ago. It is unknown when exactly Onyewu resumed training.

Onyewu did some light conditioning work with the U.S. national team in late February and joined the team in Amsterdam for its friendly vs. the Netherlands. Most recently, Onyewu had been in California having his knee checked out.

AC Milan has four matches remaining in its season, a tough stretch that includes games vs. Palermo, Fiorentina, Genoa and Juventus. Milan has fallen out of the Serie A title race, and have a firm hold on a Champions League spot, so Onyewu could potentially see some playing time in the team's final matches, assuming he can regain full fitness.

Starting to feel better about Onyewu being back in time for the World Cup? Still worried until you see him playing in a game?

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

81 Responses to Onyewu training with AC Milan

1. IwantAtaco says:

Fantastic! Get this man on the pitch during a game, and I will start breathing again. But, this story made me start thinking about breathing, so we’re getting there.

2. Tom says:

Actually, I was hoping he wouldn’t be fit for the World Cup. It is unlikely that he will get any playing time at Milano. Even when he played in Belgium he was pretty oafish on defense. I hope Bradley can control himself and pass on him this round.

3. obxfly says:

AC Milan needs you and your country needs you! Go Gooch!

4. The Hurc says:

Yeeeeaaaahhhhhh!!!!

5. Big Chil says:

AW YEAH!

6. Vik says:

Hm, I think Onyewu was a starting quality CB for the nats when he was ballin with Standard. However, when he was in poor form in Belgium, he really stunk it up on national duty too. This is not a guy who can step in without match fitness and perform well.

I really dunno what’s gonna happen though, Boca and Demerit are more agile but they may struggle against top target players. For example, Heskey vs. Onyewu seems like a joke but Heskey vs. Boca is not so funny. Goodson does seem to play well, but he hasn’t had a lot of time against top opposition. I guess it’s for decisions like this that Bradley gets the big bucks.

7. Richard says:

I’m usually good at reading sarcasm, but this, Tom, I’m not sure about…

8. IwantAtaco says:

Pass on Gooch? You’re nuts! He may be “oafish” but he wins EVERYTHING in the air. He moves well enough for what we need him to do.

Who do you want to see in his place? The US is full of talented CB’s … right?

9. Luis says:

We need Gooch for defending air attacks and team chemistry. Keep it going Gooch you’ll b fine.

10. mexicanbluefish says:

If I see him in a game, I will definitely wax hyperbolic. (don’t ask if that hurts)

11. BetaMale says:

I agree. He’s the most overrated player on our team, perhaps 2nd to Adu.

12. IwantAtaco says:

OK, but you like the Gals. So, your opinion doesn’t matter.

13. Scobes says:

OT: Does anyone think Pep is mad at Henry for the Red Bulls rumors and is not playing him for the rumors?

14. Dougs says:

Does it give anyone else chills to see a Nats player training alongside Ronaldinho?

Even if he isn’t playing, just being in the presence of the best in the world has to do wonders for your confidence.

15. grubbsbl says:

Kenny Cooper trained next to Ruud Van Nistelrooy at Man United. It might have done wonders for Cooper’s confidence but it didn’t translate into talent….

16. grubbsbl says:

This is good news. For me, he needs to play in three out of four games to be in any consideration for a starting spot in the World Cup.

17. Dougs says:

I didn’t say anything about his talent being improved by warming the bench at AC Milan. But it must be an amazing atmosphere. And there is no fair comparison between Kenny’s reserve time at ManU and Gooch’s at Milan.

18. Lester says:

This is awesome! I don’t think Gooch is overrated either.

19. Warren says:

Yeah right Onyewu was so bad on d in Belgium…his team won the league. Repeatedly.

Given Nesta’s age and health, not to mention the mediocre play of other Milan defenders this season I expect Leonardo wants to give Onyewu a little run out now – to decide what to do with him next.

20. Cynicismforfools says:

wawawawaaaaa…debbie downer’s here. oh yeah!

21. Betinho says:

I don’t think passing up on the guy who single handedly forced the entire Conferations Cup to resort to short corners would be wise. His presence alone will make other teams change their tactics.

22. wilyboy says:

This is good news!

That’s what it sounds like.

Heck, he’s training with the big boys, I think it’s safe to say that they’re at least thinking about getting him in there soon.

23. Leonardo says:

i miss u Gooch. let’s kill England!

24. Brian says:

Glory! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!

25. Louis Z says:

actually I’m not happy with this report. he was already doing light training a month ago! if he is still doing that to me sounds like another J.Jones, discomfort when training and stuck in that for months.

26. ThaDeuce says:

worried until i see him with the ball. Same with Davies.
    Seeing is believing!

27. louis z says:

he has an excellent airial game but ground game is weak at best.

28. Justin O says:

I guess I’m a glass half full kind of guy. The original prognosis had him back 2 weeks ago, and yet all he’s doing, from what we have confirmed, is conditioning and agility drills? I’m definitely not ready to celebrate yet.

29. JohnRSL says:

You’re quite the joke ster aren’t you.

30. garbaggio says:

Like others, I’m encouraged to see him out there but that footage didn’t show him doing anything at all vigorous.

Can he slide tackle or jump high in traffic to head a cross (that’s how he got hurt)?

Hopefully he’s at least doing some scrimmaging by now in addition to appearing in whatever Tai Chi or yoga videos AC Milan decides to put on its website.

31. SP says:

i dont think you know what “glass half full” means.

32. Missoula says:

Jeez, I’d hate to see what your half empty glass looks like.

33. fischy says:

Hey — I was wondering if they were going to let him take a pass on going under those hoops…not because he’s hurt, but because he’s so big. However, he seemed to take them a lot more nimbly than did a lot of other, smaller players, who bent over too low and had to use hands to balance.

And, Gooch didn’t jump high in traffic. He was pretty much unmarked, but I’d say the errant (too long) cross and the wet field led to an awkward take-off and landing.

34. Tres says:

Why are the most troll-ish comments always right near the top, where they wind up derailing the entire thread before it can really get going?

So annoying.

35. Tres says:

May I ask a question of the more medically informed around here? OK, thanks:

Was Gooch’s injury something he was probably bound to get (or inclined to get) at any point? Or was it just a freak moment in time — just random happenstance?

I ask because if it’s the former, then I can feel a little less aggrieved at the universe about the whole thing. If it’s the latter, then I’ll go ahead and continue cursing the arbitrary fate that pulled the rug from under his feet, just as he’d landed one of the greatest U.S. soccer transfers of all time…

36. Franky says:

Why are Milan keeping this secret? Ives, can you get us an interview??? I’d love to know what exactly is going on with Gooch.

37. BooThisMan says:

Milan are keeping it a secret because they had a secret plan to unleash Gooch as a SECRET WEAPON against Palermo. Now that the secret is out, the weapon isn’t secret anymore, and we won’t be seeing him. A pity, really.

38. Justin O says:

Sorry – I meant “half empty”.

39. CD9-Wolverine says:

Unlike what some crazy people like to think, Gooch is extremely athletic. Not even close to oaf-ish.

40. OmarVizquel says:

Luckily you are not Bob Bradley.

41. Paul says:

There is a video of Gooch on that website from 19 April. The team appears to be warming up and you see Gooch at 51 seconds (of a minute long video). He’s wearing spandex-like knee wrap and still looks injured. Link to video: link to milantime.acmilan.com

42. Aristotle says:

That’s an old video!

Gooch is dead! Gooch is dead! Gooch is dead!

43. St. Addi says:

I saw gooch running through the woods outside Mt. Shasta. I took a photo but it came out real grainy.

44. baquito alyeska says:

it looks half full.

45. baquito alyeska says:

I giggled.

46. Judging Amy says:

Best cb in the pool. Hence the interest from Milan in the first play. Dominant in Belgium. These critics of Gooch’s “oafishness” would prefer small, “positionally” smart cbs a la Parkhurst? Get out of here with this foolish contrarian bs.

47. Josh D says:

Gooch is very much a confidence player, having been out for months, he is not going to be able to jump back into the hot seat. One poor game in the qualifiers and he’s as good as dead for the rest of the tournament.

Saying that, we’ll be playing defense every game after the qualifiers and no one is better at defending the 18 than Gooch so we will need him.

All comes down to the friendlies for me – if he is playing 90% than he starts, if he blows a Bornstein he sits the bench.

Saying that: Who then becomes our starting back 4?

Spector-Goodson-DeMerit-Boca

48. Fus says:

Great news! Anyone heard anything on CD9 recently?

49. euroman says:

I think Gooch is warming up with the team and then likely breaking off to do individual rehab. If he were back he would be announced by a ACM presser.

Gooch is still long way from actaully playing…good luck to him though.

50. Joe says:

I have been checking here everyday hoping for a status update.

51. jig says:

how come? neither spell included first team action.

52. Fantastic news. The fact that he’s back running, training are all good signs. The more depth we have the better, regardless if he starts for the Nats.

53. Judging Amy says:

Spector-Goodson-DeMerit-Boca.

I hope not. I think Bob will play Gooch unless he’s still injured. If Gooch can’t go I think we see Spec-Boca-Jay D-Cherunds. Maybe Spec in for Cherunds or Spec on the bench with Bornstein on the left.

No way Bob makes Goodson and Demerit our cb pairing in the WC. Not enough meaningful games together to anchor a team’s d on the big stage.

54. wiger toods says:

I found videos from the 4/15 and 4/16. Gooch is no where to be seen in these. One is agility training the other is an 8v8 scrimmage.

55. Fred says:

Who is this guy, Howard Hughes? Why are they being so secretive?

56. rg3 says:

you also see him goofin around w/ Ronaldinho in line before a drill…at least someone seems happy to see him back at Milano

57. Felix says:

At first he was very flat-footed, but his couple of years with Standard, after his return from Newcastle, he really became much more well-rounded, positionally aware,being able to pass out of the backfield and much more agile in his movement. His lack of yellow cards as compared to his earlier days with the Nats would show that.

I think people just judge him on his size and think of him as still that imposing, overtly-physical beast from his earlier days in ’05 and ’06.

So in other words – I think your wrong LOL!

58. Rob says:

Gooch did get some play in CL, that is first team action in my book. Had he not been injured surely he would’ve been playing over Favalli, Kaladze and Bonera at CB after Nesta went down.

59. Short Corners says:

“single handedly forced the entire Conferations Cup to resort to short corners would be wise. ”

Demerit, together w/ Gooch, had a lot to do with that.

60. MiamiAl says:

I am actually worried that he will not ready for South Africa.

61. ATX Chuck says:

i am dying to see how he actually performs in the S-A. heres to hoping we see him against Genoa and Juve.

62. ATX Chuck says:

do you follow milan? they are cloak and dagger’esq and def media hogs. i wouldnt past them to post this video for no other reason than to start speculation on gooch. hell — it got Ive’s attention. job well done.

63. Chicago - Scott says:

No, there are just younger, faster players out there.

64. Chicago - Scott says:

hahah when was this? Cooper was never anywhere near United’s first team. The closest I can see Cooper getting to Ruud is when the club gave him DISCOUNTED tickets to Man U’s home games.

65. Chicago - Scott says:

If he plays in ONE game for AC Milan he will be our starting back… He will prove that he belongs there in our upcoming friendlies.

66. Chicago - Scott says:

Gooch HAS played with the first team, and obviously trains with the first team. Cooper never even trained with the first team at Man U.

67. away goals says:

I check here everyday too. Always hoping to see positive news on the holden/gooch/davies fronts.

Even if there aren’t any updates during the week, I still check the gamecasts on weekends. Just in case one of ‘em pulls a stealth return like dempsey did in the first juventus leg.

It’s been a month since davies was listed as 2-4 weeks from a return, so I’m anxious to see the team sheet for sochaux’s match saturday…

68. Chicago - Scott says:

I didn’t see the knee wrap in the latest video… maybe that’s a good sign?

69. DMAN says:

UPDATE FOR CHARLIE?

70. Paul says:

Does anyone else think that the photo looks like something from a dance routine?

71. r.benjamin says:

I’m not worried about him playing for Milan at all. I’d rather he take it easy for a few more weeks and let’s get a look at him in the Friendlies.

Coming back from these injuries you feel like you’re at 90% for a looong time. You’re almost there but just can’t compete at full speed. I’d rather him take it slow right now.

Gooch is weakest on the slotted through ball. Positionally and Speed wise. The US will play deep v England.

72. Kizz says:

So for an away game, AC Milan will play this guy that has not seen minutes in what we consider dinosaur days in football in their next game against Palermo, a team they (Milan) lost at home, you all are dreamers. If he gets minutes in one of their last three games, it will be a miracle. They have Palermo, Genoa, Fiorentina and Juventus and you think any coach will play that slow player? Keep up the dream

73. kenny_b says:

Couldn’t agree more.

74. kenny_b says:

Not to mention he leaned out some which has improved his agility if not his Oafishness.

75. kenny_b says:

Very nice…..you showed your age with that one.

76. kenny_b says:

I agree….especially if he is has to turn

77. kenny_b says:

Yes I do. They can not win Serie A and they are 7 points ahead of Sampdoria and 9 points above Palermo with four games remaining for champions league spots.

When would you expect a better time to play someone coming off an injury or give some reserves first team football?

Milan is essentially locked into 3rd place and 4th as a worst case scenario.

78. Doug says:

That knee brace he is wearing is very thin and is they type players seem to wear after they have recovered for only the minimum amount of support as they get their strength back to 100%. He did not seem that worried as he jumped over those agility stakes.

Hard to read too much into it without footage of him playing, but it looks promising.

79. NastyBigGringoThongGirl says:

people who troll blogs for attention-getting nonsense usually have emotional problems. These problems manifest themselves in obsessive behaviour. In other words Tres, they are scanning site every few minutes, probably Ives’ site every half hour. Their obsessive behaviour thus allows them to be the first to post.

80. BigFunkysmellingGringoGirl says:

or at least to showcase him a bit so he can attract some offers, and Milan can recoup some dough on the guy.