Evening Ticker: Beckham’s gone till November, Cameron’s season over and more

David Beckham 2 (ISIphotos.com)

David Beckham's return to MLS will have to wait a bit longer than expected.

Beckham told Good Morning America on Monday that he is targeting a November return, which would mean he will miss the entire 2010 MLS regular season, though he still has an outside chance of playing for the Galaxy in the playoffs.

Beckham suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon during a loan stint with AC Milan, an injury that ended his quest to play in a fourth World Cup with England. It now also appears that the injury will cost him the 2010 MLS season.

Here are some other stories to wrap up your Monday:

CAMERON OUT FOR SEASON

Houston Dynamo midfielder Geoff Cameron is out for the season after suffering a torn PCL during the Dynamo's 2-0 loss to the Chicago Fire last Saturday.

Cameron joins Brian Ching on the Dynamo's injured list. Houston is already coping with the off-season losses of U.S. national team midfielders Ricardo Clark and Stuart Holden, and will now be in serious trouble without Cameron, who had made the move from central defense into midfield this season.

WENGER, ARSENAL READY TO SPEND

For as long as anybody cares to remember, Arsenal has been the most frugal of England's power clubs, staying away from over-spending while Arsene Wenger developed top young talent.

Apparently, Wenger has grown tired of being trophyless.

The Arsenal manager revealed that the Gunners will be spending money this summer, news that will come as sweet music for Arsenal fans.

"Our financial situation has greatly improved," Wenger said. "We are finally able to buy the players we think we need."

If true, Arsenal are very likely to be searching for a goalkeeper as well as defenders, while striker Marouane Chamakh is expected to join on a free transfer from Bordeaux.

———————

What do you think of these developments? Disappointed that Beckham won't play this year? Think the Dynamo can overcome all its player losses and still be a threat in the West? Excited to see who Arsenal buys this summer?

This entry was posted in European Soccer, Major League Soccer, MLS- Houston Dynamo, MLS- LA Galaxy. Bookmark the permalink.

76 Responses to Evening Ticker: Beckham’s gone till November, Cameron’s season over and more

1. Petaluman says:

So after Gooch went down AC Milan demanded compensation. What did they had to say when Beckham went down? Did they hide in a corner?

2. I think the Dynamo are seriously going to struggle without Cameron. It doesn’t help that both Ching and Weaver are currently injured and that Landin is useless. Dominic Kinnear should probably win the manager of the year award if this team still makes the playoffs.

3. Will Smith says:

Lol gone til November huh… Sounds like a Wyclef Jean song lol

4. Derek says:

He was on loan to Milan, so if anyone was to demand compenstaion it would be LA.

5. Cindy says:

you win Ives for the gone til november title haha

6. Brian says:

Duh…That’s pretty much Petaluman was insinuating. AC Milan demands compensation from USSF. Then the script got flipped on them

7. Clayton says:

Sad news for Cameron. He was one of the leagues best improving young players. Get well all injured superstars

8. Will Smith says:

Its good to hear Arsenal opening up the wallet… as long as we dont live beyond our means i/e Pompey, Man U, Liverpool

9. Petaluman says:

Yes, what Brian said…

10. Second City says:

Unlucky for Geoff Cameron.

As mentioned above, he is definitely a rising star in our league that has the quality and potential (once he finds his true position/role) to move on across the pond.

When I saw it, I didn’t think it was as serious as it turned out to be. He had just gone down about 5 minutes prior to that holding his leg, so perhaps that was the precursor to the eventual tear.

I sincerely look for Cameron to involve himself within the National Team going towards 2014.

Get well soon, GC.

11. Marthac says:

Beckham out for 3 months? And he won’t be back till nov? Is that Euro math?

12. Second City says:

Arsenal/Wenger: Don’t talk about it, be about it.

Retaining their stars would be priority number one followed by getting better up the spine.

Shopping list: GK, someone to play along-side of Vermalen and an elite striker would make them my favorite to challenge not only for the EPL but to be in serious contention to reach the UCL Final.
    - – -
    Last but not least: Beckham.

With only one league/objective to concentrate on, I would hope that if he infact comes back, he sincerely embraces the role of being an ” Ambassador of MLS ” as he proclaimed he would be.

This includes: Doing actual sports interviews and not the bloody ” View ” and ” Good Morning America “.

Too much to ask? Probably, since his handlers likely won’t permit it.

13. ivanov says:

till (v): to work by plowing, sowing, and raising crops

14. war says:

Chamakh, Gignac, Benzema (if not convicted) Gourcouff, Ciani, Lloris, Mandanda, anyone else on the French squad are all possible. Think he has Joe Hart lined up too. If Chiellini wants to leave, I’d take him. Maybe a swap style aggrement for gallas?

They’d probably need a creative player in case cesc does leave.

Out: Gallas to Juve,Flubbianski amd Almunia to the streets. Eduardo and Rosicky have not been the same. They need a new home.

15. stpauljosh says:

does this mean beckhams salary won’t count against LA for the entire season?

16. RLW2020 says:

perfect..

17. Giorgio Chinaglia says:

Listen, my friends. We don’t need Beckham. The Cosmos or whatever they call us nowadays are going to sign Henry & Ze Roberto & score lots of goals and win the championship and sell out their arena every week once they do.

Trust me, my friends. I know a little something about scoring goals, drawing big crowds and winning trophies too. I’m great with the ladies too.

Let’s just say no one scored more than me in the old Nort American Soccer League, si?

Ciao!

18. patrick says:

To bad for Cameron. He really ha d a chance to show some leadership this year. I like his work ethic…

19. Dumpus says:

Latest rumor out of England is that Brad Guzan will be loaned out to Manchester City for the remainder of the season

20. ahm says:

i’d like a strong holding midfielder next to fabregas. diaby, song, etc are nice players but getting a dynamic player next to/behind fabregas could go a long way. while it would be nice if it was someone on the essien/mascherano level it doesn’t have to be, even the addition of fabrice muamba could be good

21. JFC says:

almunia is the gunners weakest link cant wait for that new keeper

22. B1879 says:

I was wondering if that was the move they’d make.

23. gerald says:

is there some emergency that City doesn’t have any keepers

24. Reid says:

giorgio where have you been, its been so long since you’ve told us the truth in football

25. Dumpus says:

Shay Given went down with an injury this weekend. Back up Stuart Taylor is injured too. That only leaves them with their 3rd stringer, the GK from the U21 Faroe Islands national team

26. Jon says:

Twellman’s salary has and continues to count against the Revs’ cap.

27. Aristotle says:

Enough with Beckham. MLS and L.A. need to move on.

Beckham is starting to remind me of one of those boxers who just doesn’t know when to quit, and instead of encouraging him to quit before he loses his dignity, people just keep trying to cash in on his name.

28. CSD says:

No way Aston Villa loans Man City Brad Guzan so that Man City can have a better chance of finishing above them in the table.

29. CSD says:

He was about to play in the World Cup before he got injured and he was playing well at one of the bigger clubs in the World. He only has one year left on his contract with the MLS. If he is trying to play on a League One club in 5 years or he is playing in China and doing bit roles in The Hangover 2 after getting a tattoo on his face maybe but not yet.

30. Vik says:

1) Simon Kjaer to pair with Vermaelen in central defense, young pair with good future.

2) I think Chamakh is a solid addition to the front line.

3) Jan Vertonghen can’t hurt as a defensive midfielder either. Plus, can play CB in a pinch too!

That’ll do, expensive but mostly young and top notch talent in positions where Arsenal could use some added depth.

31. Vik says:

Oh, and:

4) Manuel Neuer or Rene Adler for GK, though I’m not sure how keen either of them are to leave Germany.

32. Lieutenant in Sam's Army says:

Is there any chance Arsenal can outbid ManU and others for Lloris?

I know this wasn’t on this post, but I am so excited to hear that CD9 is back training. It gives hope to anyone who suffered a serious injury that, with hard work, you can get back. Good luck, Chuck Deezy. Get to South Africa and make us proud.

33. alex says:

Little tidbit out of Toronto, former coach Chris Cummins did an exclusive interview with a TV station and basically threw Mo Johnston under the bus.

Now Johnston says he’s going to sue. All can be found here: link to nationalpost.com

And to make things even more interesting .. John Carver (the coach before cummins) is going to do an interview with the press tomorrow. This is on top of former player Ali Gerba speaking out against Johnston Previously along with some undertones from several other guys.

34. Knowles says:

Also off-topic, but wouldn’t it be great to see Fabrizio Miccoli in MLS? He’s nearing 30 and is still a quality player in Serie A, but guess what? He loves WRESTLING!!! As in John Cena, not Rulon Gardner. Lots of flair and personality, would be a great footballer here, and could def see him facing off against the Undertaker in a David v. Goliath matchup… Can we make this happen?

35. hkgdjhgfd says:

yo, and give a kiss to my mother

36. TimN says:

Lesson to other MLS franchises…don’t go and spend millions on an aging star who will be injury prone.

RBNY…stay away from Henry and Pirlo!

37. Niccollo says:

im down for New York to buy John Cena actually… id watch

38. DadRyan says:

bummer about Cameron. Get well soon dude.

39. Giorgio Chinaglia says:

Grazie! Thank you for asking. I have been busy with the ladies and doing some scouting for my team in Harrison. Trust me, my friend. The big names are coming. Giorgio is working on it.

I know about big names. I played with some of the biggest and I dated some too. You know, Joan Collins? Susan Anton? Charlie’s Angels? Si!

Sono un amante e un giocatore di calcio, amico mio.

Ciao!

40. livic says:

nice tune will. I bet you wished you had come up with that one (you big sellout). Becky should retire so that the galaxy dont have to pay him. I read elsewhere that LA may try to get him declared ineligible for the entire season so they can go out and get more DPs. On other matters… I dont know about you guys but that Capella University chick looks nice. I’m not usually into black chicks, but this one has a good look.

41. simms21 says:

As a Arsenal fan, I gotta see it to believe it. We need a keeper, a defensive mid that can also play central defender, and if chamakh is on his way we’ll be set.

42. dutchtwista says:

this is all-star commenting right here…

43. FGB says:

till (conj): until

44. inkedAG says:

I really don’t know what to say. Arsenal spending money on players sounds like such a foreign concept, I can hardly wrap my brain around it. ;)

45. primoone says:

Completely off topic

I was reading this post on the MLS site with respect to Herc Gomez and his scoring title. I understand that MLS wants to distinguish itslef from Mexican league, especially since the teams down there whip our a$$ in competitions. However, I cant understand why the author doesnt check his facts.

Here is what he says…”It’s worth noting that no Mexican has ever come close to capturing the scoring title in Major League Soccer.”

First of all…Herc is american was born here and represents the USA. From the Mexican perspective…he technically is Mexican according to the Mexican constitution. In addition to that…Herc really learned the professional game with Cruz Azul from Mexico. He had to leave the US because he was passed over by scouts here in the states. I support MLS and love when Us players do well in other leagues…but seriously? He did not state anything false in his comment but it definitely wasn’t well thought out.

Am I off base here?

link to mlssoccer.com

46. huricano says:

Is Beckham trying to rehab soon, or do nothing until after the WC?

47. jig says:

sakho, matuidi, chamakh

48. Brent McD. says:

Terrible news for Cameron and Dynamo. I agree that Houston will be lucky to make the playoffs this year. Just too much to replace….

49. Primo two says:

What are you upset about? The article looks fine to me.

Gomez is an American; sure he was born in Las Vegas, a strange place to be sure, but the last time I checked, those people are still Americans. Gomez has been capped by the US and cannot ever play for the Mexican national team. He may not look American to you and his football pedigree may have a strong Mexican flavor to it but by your logic John OBrien, who went to Holland very young and learned most of his game there is not a true American Soccer player ( whatever the hell that means), neither is Jonathan Spector, or Frankie Simek, or Kenny Cooper, or Jose Francisco Torres, or Steve Cherundolo; need I go on?

Not only are you off base but you’ve left the ballpark and are driving drunk somewhere. Pull over before someone gets hurt.

50. Aristotle says:

I don’t believe he was ever going to play with England in the World Cup. At least not in any meaningful way. This is kind of what I’m talking about. I think if he played at all, they would have just brought him on as a substitute for a few minutes as a way of honoring him.

He never seems to play much anymore. He just plays a little, mostly ineffectively, then he gets injured. Then it repeats. In MLS it’s like we’re supposed to hang on every word about when he will come back and play, but usually he doesn’t come back, or he gets injured, or if he does play, it’s just briefly and, again, usually ineffectively. Even when he played in a MLS Cup which he seemed to really want, he really didn’t do anything at all. He couldn’t contribute much at all against the likes of RSL. On top of that fans here have obviously stopped caring enough to the point where he doesn’t even make a difference in attendance anymore, even at the HDC.

If he wasn’t such a star name I don’t think A.C. Milan would have been that interested. He had one good spell and then faded again.

51. OmarVizquel says:

Trust me, they’ve been doing it for years.

52. Machista Gay says:

Wyclef…I’ll be gone til November..anyone?

53. mwc says:

I could be wrong about this, but I thought a compensation claim was based on injuries occuring during international play? Wasn’t that the whole thing with Michael Owen a few years back? I think that is why there could be a claim for Gooch who was hurt during a USMNT match, but not one for Beckham.

54. DC Josh says:

Welcome to the land of the dead Dynamo. There is plenty of room on the DC United boat.

Sucks for Cameron. As Holden stepped up last year for the Dynamo, Cameron could have done the same this season.

I can see Wenger making a move for Lloris, especially if he has a good World Cup.

55. Josh D says:

Correct. You get nothing for loaned players..

56. Josh D says:

Transfer muppet here – you have money to spend but Wenger isn’t bringing anyone big, he’ll find some little orphan in the slopes of the Alps like he usually does.

Benzema won’t come as you bought Chamakh. Gourcouff is far too good to join Arsenal. Chiellini is way out of your price range. The rest you can have..

57. Josh D says:

Is there ever a meaningless way to play in the World Cup?

58. Giorgio Chinaglia says:

I do what I can. I have an obligation to my fanaticos to give them the straight talk and keep them in line. Trust me when I tell you the big names are coming and it’s going to be like 1977, my friends. And Giorgio knows all about 1977.

59. Josh D says:

Choo, choo all aboard! Titles are for teams who try too hard, we’re much happier jogging until November!

60. Jimmy Bobo says:

Giorgio, you’re still the only one who put Wynalda in his place while you were both in the studio for the World Cup. You made Wynalda shut his piehole and that wasn’t easy to do. Outstanding!

61. Giorgio Chinaglia says:

It had to be done. He spends too much time talking. If he had spent more time keeping an eye on his woman, the US would have done better at the World Cup in 1998, you know what I mean, paesan?

62. SaintJude says:

Ignore Aristotle, he’s trolling on Beckham. Like him or not he is still an effective player capable of playing at a high level. He is not going to do anything you wouldn’t expect, but what he does he does well. He played in many of England’s qualifiers and frequently won praise for his impact on the game. If you don’t like Beckham, fine. But just because he is a media whore doesn’t mean he can’t still play.

63. Rory says:

Gone till Novemeber, Gone till November.

(Hey, isn’t that Bob Dylan sitting on that bench over there? Why are we listening to this joker when Bob Dylan is sitting on a bench RIGHT THERE!).

64. Rory says:

Sucks for Cameron… but boy does that make my trade of Cameron for Pappa look really sweet right now in my fantasy league!

65. mnmike says:

Have you watched Song this year?

66. Charles says:

Sorry Giorgio,

Red Bulls could be in first place by twenty games it seems and still not sell out the place against a team 3 hours away.

67. Charles says:

Ljungberg =

didn’t play Thursday,

might as well not have played on Sunday.

68. JM says:

As I’ve felt since the day Becks got hurt, LA should put him on the disabled list (rendering him ineligible for the season), and hire a recently retired mercenary DP to take his roster spot for the rest of the year.

Would Nedved, Figo, Costa or Vieri take $1-million for playing 6 months in LA? You never know unless you ask.

69. madmax says:

Beckham never intended to play more than a handful of games for Galaxy this year, probably less games than last year. Even Beasley plays more, 10 games a year at Rangers.

70. BK says:

There is no boubt in my mind that Beckham does not want to return to MLS. Anyone think that his “November” return is purely coincidental?

71. primoone says:

I never said that Gomez was not American due to his physical characteristics or any other reason for that matter. You are exactly correct in your John O’Brian example. You cannot say that he is a “dutch” player because he was born in the US and has no “dutch” blood line. However, my point being is that the author is taking credit for MLS developing Gomez while flipping them the bird. You can make a real strong case for the Mexican league taking credit for actually developing Gomez. Imagine that…he develops in Mexico only after being passed up in the states, comes to MLS and enjoys limited success there with the Galaxy. He goes back down to Mexico after being played out of position on 2 different teams and wins a scoring title. Why does herc thrive in Mexico? What are the real reasons why he couldn’t do it in MLS? What does that say about MLS?

Most of my points from the original post were over your head. Unfortunately you need perspective to see them.

Cute name by the way “Primo two”

72. Aristotle says:

Could you be any more stupid?

73. SaintJude says:

I concede to your well argued points Aristotle. Your eloquent and well thought out post has shamed me from ever constructing a logical reply again. Your moniker was well chosen.

Seriously, you do realize that everyone knows a retort like yours is an admission of defeat don’t you?

You’ve had no less than 3 different posters politely counter your statement and all you can do is resort to one line insults? If you can’t handle civil debate over a soccer related post you still have a lot to learn. Good luck.

74. Primo Two says:

Sweetie,

You are reading way too much into that article.

No one cares where Gomez was “developed”, if that can even be properly determined. The Mexicans can claim him as theirs for all anyone cares. He can’t play for them so it doesn’t matter.

And if Charlie Davies had decided to hold to curfew,and Jozy and Ching and all those other forwards were going good, this streak by Gomez might not even be noticed that much. But you have to hand it to Gomez, he has good timing and is taking full advantage of it.

His story doesn’t tell you much about the MLS. Player does well, then player gets hurt, comes back and doesn’t do so well, bounces around for a while and eventually finds his groove. If you want to say it means the MLS missed out on a good player well, big farging deal. Every league does.

This story is found in every sport, every year. It is remarkable mostly for the timing ( World Cup year, Davies injury, most other US strikers in bad to indifferent form).

Your perspective wasn’t so much over my head as beneath my notice. But if you want to view things that way, knock yourself out.

75. BTK says:

Ever tear your Achilles? November is pretty optimistic. At his age Beckham may never play again.

76. primoone says:

Listen…. Guy…

The whole purpose of me posting that was to get a conversation going…Thanks for being engaging. Im not sure why I ruffled your feathers, however, I merely pointed out that you missed my viewpoints and that in order to comprehend another person’s view point you have to get some perspective.

On a different note..you should really try and contribute with your real screen name. Im just saying…