A salute to Charlie Davies

Charlie Davies 4 (ISIphotos.com)

It doesn't seem like just six months ago since since Charlie Davies' fateful car accident and a moment that shook U.S. national team soccer fans to their cores, but here we are, six months on and that much closer to Davies making a miraculous recovery.

Davies is projected to return to action for Sochaux in early May, which would mark just seven months since the accident. His goal of being back for the 2010 World Cup looks more realistic by the day, as U.S. fans start to realize that what once seemed impossible just might happen.

The fine folks at The Shin Guardian have put together a tribute to Davies today, with a beautiful video clip put together by videographer extraordinaire and SBI Mafia member Jay Bell.

Here is the video:

What do you think of the video? Starting to believe Davies will be on the World Cup team, or did you already believe and have your Davies jersey already?

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

78 Responses to A salute to Charlie Davies

1. SoccerLee says:

Simply Awesome!

2. Rob says:

I second that!

3. BSU SC says:

CD9 is a warrior. Hopefully his dream comeback turns into a nightmare for the England back 4.

4. Sean says:

What a tremendous video.

5. RWDJr37 says:

I keep envisioning CD9 scoring a late, 1-nil, winner againgst the Three Lions on June 12. I seriously think I would cry.

Keep working hard Charlie! You’re almost there sir!

6. I’ll admit it, it brought me to tears at one point. Can’t wait to see him back on the field.

7. baquito alyeska says:

Ives, what are the odds of FSC broadcasting Sochaux games in May?

8. Erik says:

At 36 seconds in, how many times do you see that happen? Forward goes down, gets up immediately and scores a goal.

Usually it’s slight push, flop around, free kick.

9. Josh D says:

Get in there Charlie!!

10. OmarVizquel says:

In my opinion, Davies is the only US forward (or player, for that matter) who can pose a serious, world-class threat against top-10 teams. He was a revelation in the Confed Cup and qualifiers. He’s a lot to contend with, and England for one doesn’t have anyone who can deal with his pre-accident speed (I refuse to say “pace”).

11. John1 says:

One has to admire his perseverance. This will be a wonderful story if he makes. I think for him to be included in the World Cup, he in fact needs to, at least, start playing for his club in early May. This is really not a secret, however. If he can get two or three games with his club and have another three games with the U.S. National Team before the World Cup, he will be on the team.

12. bryan says:

two amazing videos in one day! LOVE it. Love the USMNT. Can’t wait for the WC. i’m really pumped right now. haha

that picture is priceless!

13. MemRook says:

Honestly? That’s my favorite highlight on the whole reel. Yeah, the goal against Mexico is sweeeeeeeeeer but it fills my heart with pride when Charlie gets bundled into and still continues to fight for the ball, scoring a goal in the process! That to me is a microcosm of Charlie’s whole situation with the accident and his determination to succeed. So much love for that man!

Jozy could take a few pointers from Charlie concerning that aspect of his game. Less diving and forcing the foul issue and more concentration on scoring goals!

14. MemRook says:

Make that *sweet* not sweer lol

15. Aristophanes says:

I don’t know…dempsey has a pretty good scoring record against top competition, and I think Donovan proved that he can also be a threat against the best.

16. fubar says:

Check out CD9’s twitter feed from yesterday. evrything seems to be right on track.

17. KennyLofton says:

A little over the top there Omar.

Ever heard of Theo Walcott or Aaron Lennon? They are at least as fast as Charlie was. And all of England’s defenders have faced them. The EPL has a lot of strikers and wingers who are as fast as Charlie was.

What made Charlie really special was his combination of toughness, aggressive attitude and smarts. That is what the US will really miss.

If speed alone was issue, Findley and EJ are just as fast and you see how that works.

I guarantee you England’s defenders would have no problem with them. They just are not the player Davies was.

England are not afraid of any one US player, nor should they be, but, if they are smart, they will be very wary about the TEAM.

18. Kevin_amold says:

This is one of the greatest pictures ever posted on this site.

19. mwc says:

Yes, that Cougar Life grown up cheerleader is a good one.

20. kev says:

Davies is our HERO. He symbolizes everything about us. He never gives up. He had a rough start in Sweden but turned it around so that he was scoring for fun in the 2nd season. I’ve no doubt that were it not for the accident he’d have been a top goal-scorer for Sochaux.

Come on Daviessssssssssssssss

21. ANM says:

Worth checking out if you haven’t already done so: this week’s Jonathan Wilson column on football tactics, which has a laudatory reference to Davies’ performance against Spain last summer (and implicitly to Bob Bradley’s tactics in that game.)

link to guardian.co.uk

22. mwc says:

My main concern is whether Davis will have the speed back. While not his only asset, it was a big part of his game. That needs to be there for him to be effective, in my opinion. I wish Altidore would go that hard every game. He can really be a handful when he does that.

23. obxfly says:

Looking forward to seeing him finish his miraculous comeback soon. Come on Charlie!

24. Brian says:

Hey has anyone ordered their 2010 jersey yet? What’s the best place online to get one?

25. RedLine55 says:

Niiiiice video — the Shin Guardian is an awesome blog, tons of wasted hours on that thing!

26. Almost glad Butler lost last night. Now when Chuck D smokes Terry en route to the winning goal, it can be the story of the year.

27. Second City says:

Nice usage of 30 Seconds to Mars, very applicable.

Always inspiring to see the joy in CD9000’s eyes doing what he loves and showing immense talent while performing on the pitch.

I sincerely look forward to more; memories, joy, passion and potential he brings when he wears his Country & Club’s kit.

Go get em’, Charlie. You’ve got an Army…..behind you.

28. Clayton says:

We are all rooting for you Charlie! Can’t wait to see you score in the WC. Keep working hard my man. Thanks for the video Ives.

Good luck, lets see that speed again.

29. usafan says:

cd9 is a courageous young man. to go through this and have a chance to be playing in the world cup would be nothing short of a miracle and i really do hope it would happen. with all of that being said, charlie davies isn’t americas savior and the odds of him being in even decent form are slim at best. he doesn’t have a good goal scoring record as an international at any level. he scored in 2 blowouts at the confederations cup and another 2 in qualifying losses for the cup. i hope he will be on the roster but please all this hype is unfair to the lad

30. Tim says:

Why is he your hero?

The guy was a key part of any success that his club and his country had and would have this year, and he nearly threw it all away for a night of heavy drinking before an important national team match. I want to see him get healthy and playing for his club and country again, but he had his priotities seriously screwed up. Hero he is not.

31. Isaac says:

That whole thing about how it’s harder to play pressure football in high altitudes explains the USA having a tough time at the Azteca, apart from Donovan having H1N1. Good article, and I think pressuring and keeping what possession you can get is something the USA has succeeded with, although the possession part is a bite difficult with guys like Clark who are more defensively oriented. Hopefully Edu continue playing well and help the USA keep possession a bit better.

32. arkjayback says:

what was the other video?

33. kenny_b says:

That is awfully judgmental…I hope you don’t live in a glass house.

34. bryan says:

the Torres one.

35. Isaac says:

I hope that Davies still has his confidence. Johnson lost his confidence after his injuries, and he was a very similar, if not an exact replica of the player Davies is/was.

36. kenny_b says:

I got mine at World Soccer Shop. I don’t know if its the best place to get online but its certainly available. I have a membership card so I get a discount. I didn’t find any place with the Jersey for a lower price. It seems (to me) that WSS and Fox Soccer Shop are affiliated somehow since the pricing seems to be the same. You can get the jersey there also.

37. kenny_b says:

Great video, very nicely done Mr. Bell!

38. kenny_b says:

That is a great article.

39. pino says:

The haters were sure to pop their heads out at some point. Carry on people nothing to see here

40. CleartheBall says:

Great video! We Americans love a hero that overcomes and learns from his mistakes. Obviously, Charlie made a huge mistake. If, somehow, he can make the WC team, and if he plays well, this could be one of the great sports stories, ever. I’d love to see it. Lets go Charlie!!

41. Tim says:

A woman is dead after their shenanigans.

42. Neruda says:

I will try not to respond with complete emotion to your assertion that CD should not be included on the American squad this summer. First of all CD was two times the player that Ching, Casey, Findley or any other fringe forward the US has (Jozy excluded) AND he wasn’t even done developing. If he’s even half of what he was pre accident he still deserves a spot on the plan to SA because half of CD is still better than the other options I mentioned. The biggest reason he deserves inclusion (assuming he’s back playing for his club etc) is because he is and will be the BIGGEST inspiration to this team. The way they came back to beat El Salvador in that last qualifier is an indication of how the players rallied for Davies. There is no speech that Bob Bradley can give that will inspire more than simply turning to Charlie Davies and saying this man was almost dead and should be at least struggling to walk by now BUT here he is. Think about how inspired his team and country will be with him on the sideline or on the pitch. Do you think England has this kind of inspirational punch? Will they rally around John Terry for his infidelity scandal (the poor chap lost the beloved captains armband)? Capello will have his team psyched to play but the US needs to tap into this super intense lion hearted spirit (or should I say eagle hearted spirit, since the lion is Englands thing) because they don’t have the talent of the English. As for the other players you mentioned, you are wrong on them as well but I won’t go into that.

43. Second City says:

I don’t believe Walcott or Lennon would be marking Davies, Kenny.

I think you misunderstood his point, overall.

44. Wispy says:

Heck, this video made me cry…

45. bryan says:

“to beat El Salvador” – Costa Rica, wish i had seen dudes post before it got removed.

46. Neruda says:

It was a night of poor judgement and the consequences were severe. Lessons learned and a very hard fought redemption is earned. I’m not just describing the Davies story but my story and that of practically everyone involving a myriad of poor decisions. There is nothing wrong with people labeling Charlie as their hero if he inspires them to be better.

47. greco says:

The music in the beginning is really lame. GO CHARLIE!

48. Neruda says:

I can’t help but imagine that this story will inspire so many young kids to play this game and inspire a new generation of incredible US athletes to choose soccer over the likes of football or basketball. It’s exciting to think that the US could be a top team in the world if that were to happen.

49. G says:

Charlie Davies = Weapon X

50. freelancer says:

If Davies returns to even 80% strength, not only would he be as fast as Lennon and Walcott, but he’d certainly be much stronger!

51. freelancer says:

STFU angel boy Tim!

52. OmarVizquel says:

Kenny, we used to be such good friends…

53. Mason says:

The woman is dead because she got into the car with her drunk friend behind the wheel. Charlie did the exact same thing.

Drinking is fine. Call a cab to get you home.

54. Kjesare says:

As with Epic heroes of old, they have flaws. Odysseus was prideful and nearly lost his life. Achilles and his weak heel. Sampson and his hair. But among their flaws they have strengths. If they are able to tap into their strengths they succeed and succeed impressively. Davies is our modern day hero because he overcomes the adversity and weakness of a single poor decision to work towards achieving greatness [even his own dream of playing in the World Cup].

Example: Lance Armstrong. From cancer to winning multiple Tour de France races. We Americans adore him for all the triumphs and always love a great story. I’m not saying Davies is going to live up to Lance’s greatness. But just displaying his ‘epic’ determination is a signal of his potential to be a hero in South Africa in June.

55. sandtrout says:

I’m hoping CD can make it back to the USMNT as much as the next fan, but I, for one, am tired of the repeated tributes that, undoubtedly will only multiply in the weeks ahead. Yes, it’s a good story, and yes, his recovery is amazing, even inspiring. But for me the repeated retellings have already reached overkill. They cheapen the story.

56. Mason says:

The final match was “only” a comeback-to-draw.

57. Ian says:

That’s too bad. Your best bet is to avoid the blogs and news sites for a while.

58. Gacm32 says:

Look on this site

It might seem a little sketchy but I have 3 jerseys from the site and they are all legit.

59. KennyLofton says:

Probably not though you never know.

Chicago, the point was England’s defenders have plenty of experience handling forwards as fast as Charlie, such as the aforementioned Walcott and Lennon. I doubt his speed would surprise them.

60. SaintJude says:

Davies is great, but as talented as he is individually I think he is more valuable to the team overall than as an individual player. In other words, I think his skill set actually benefits the other forwards and midfielders more than it makes Charlie a threat. Without him stretching the opposing defense our offense has much less room & time to work with. Confused yet? Well it makes sense in my head.

61. KennyLofton says:

That’s the biz Omar!

62. Hey says:

Which is why saying Gomez is a good sub for him is wide of the mark.

When Davies is on, the entire US attack is livelier, more energetic. He doesn’t have to score the goal but he makes it more likely that there will be opportunities for the US to score.

Gomez right now is a hot finisher and that is a rare and wonderful talent but it can also blow hot and cold. For me the big issue with taking Gomez to SA is what happens if he cools off by June, which statistically speaking, is very likely to happen? Then what does he have to offer?

The best thing would be to start a healthy Charlie with Gomez, holding Altidore in reserve and pushing Dempsey up in the second half.

But that isn’t going to happen.

63. Bradley is 666 says:

” (and implicitly to Bob Bradley’s tactics in that game.)”

Those are fighting words to many on this site. What do those Brits know about soccer anyway?

64. agnigrin says:

I triple it. Thanks for sharing this video with us. CD9 will be back in time for the WC just you wait and see.

65. Brian says:

thanks Kenny, I’m just trying to see if there is a difference (price and quality) between a pre-made Davies #9 Jersey, or one that I customize with Davies on the back and #9 on the front and back.

66. Mike says:

great video. needs more stanky leg!

67. tnnelson says:

lennon and walcott are just raw speed though. walcott doesn’t really know what to do when he gets down in the final third. he always burns people but then he just loses it or fails to do anything creative. lennon is definitely better than walcott, but he doesn’t have the eye for the goal of the finishing quality that davies has. and, looking at the progress davies has already made, whether he even makes the world cup or not, shows that no one has the heart or desire as davies. thats sick that he can even consider playing again after what happened, much less so soon. truly a badass

68. Idahosa says:

I quadruple that. Also thanks Ives for showing us this. This video is very inspiring and I mean I really believe he will be back in time for the world cup. He will score for Sochaux before the end of the season and will be very good

69. Howard1334 says:

forgot who good he was… Hope he makes it

70. Jon says:

This would be huge. I know none of us want to miss when CD9 puts in his first goal after returning.

71. Neruda says:

Yea, it was a draw with Costa Rica. I thought they played pretty inspired despite missing Davies, having Gooch go down and playing against a hungry Costa Rican team that was fighting for a spot in SA.

72. Aduren says:

Nice sentiment but this is the World Cup not high school or college. If the USMNT is NOT fired up beyond recognition, Davies or not, then they don’t belong in South Africa.

If all Charlie can do is be a glorified cheerleader, which is basically what you are describing, then he has no business being on the roster.

And I think he would agree with me.

By the way, I doubt John Terry is the only man in the England team with questionable morals when it comes to women and the like. That scandal is overblown and losing Wayne Bridge, Capello’s efforts notwithstanding, was no big deal.

73. Erasejk says:

Yeah, that was a “single poor decision” by Lance to get testiculare cancer.

Maybe he could have picked some other disease, like a cold or something. But hey, we all make mistakes.

74. kenny_b says:

I have had several customized for my son, they look like the real deal.

75. kenny_b says:

LOL, well done!

76. S says:

chills…chills watching that video…CD9 in South Africa would be amazing to watch!

77. Lelling111@aol.com says:

Charlie Davies, I will be wearing your #9 on my USA Shirt in South Africa…….BE THERE!!!!