Edu’s Old Firm winner

MauriceEdu (Getty Images)

Maurice Edu put his name in the history books of one of the world's oldest and most storied rivalries on Sunday, scoring a stoppage-time game-winning goal to give Glasgow Rangers a 1-0 victory against Glasgow Celtic. The victory likely pushed Rangers closer to another Scottish Premier League title while also signaling Edu's triumphant return from major knee surgery just nine months ago.

If you missed the goal, here it is:

What do you think of Edu's performance? Excited to see him play a part in the U.S. national team's friendly vs. the Netherlands? Think he should get the start?

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad, European Soccer. Bookmark the permalink.

61 Responses to Edu’s Old Firm winner

1. TheJester525 says:

clutch goal. If nothing else he’ll be confident come wednesday.

2. Katatonia says:

dont show this to Donovan.

3. ThaDeuce says:

I’m proud of you Mo!

4. Jose S. says:

What a great feeling that must be.

Speaking of yanks scoring, Herculez Gomez just scored a goal for the third straight game with Puebla.

5. Murphy says:

good news

6. Cievo forever says:

That’s so weird that they speak Italian in Scotland.

7. Brett says:

Happy for Mo and for Rangers, but as far as the MNT picture goes, he’s still pretty far behind Mikey, Rico, Benninho, and Joseph Frank Towers in the CMF spots. And knowing Bob Bradley, he probably has Kljestan and Beckerman above Mo in the pecking order also. Knowing that, Edu’s best chance to break into the first team is going to be as a CB.

8. jim says:

What the hell are you talking about? stop making a fool of yourself. i think it is pretty obvious either he or Torres will start Wednesday and i think it will be him.

9. jamesey says:

Lets put Edu’s car on terror alert. That thing is going to be fire bait.

10. Vman says:

Even if he hadn’t scored the goal, Edu still put in a terrific performance. For the most part, his first touch was smooth, his passes were sharp, he made some good plays defensively, and in general he was all over the place. I know some fans have a preference for Clark, but all things being equal, Edu would be my choice. Class tells over time, and I think Mo just needs some consistent PT to show that he is the superior player and maybe the best choice to pair with Bradley given the US current tactics.

11. Warren says:

I have been advocating Torres for the start against Netherlands.

But with Maurice in form, hustling and scoring, why not let him put some pressure on the Dutch.

12. Dakota says:

Why not start them both? As someone has already suggested Torres can play right and Donovan forward.

13. Brett says:

Based on recent selections for meaningful internationals (qualifiers, CC, etc) I stand by my comments. Plus, we all know Bradley has a soft spot for his MLS babies like Sacha.

One putback goal in Scotland doesn’t all of a sudden thrust Edu, who was a fringe guy before, ahead of Bradley, Clark, and Feilhaber.

14. Dakota says:

For the Netherlands game

Howard

Spector Demerit Bocenegra Borenstein

Holden Edu Bradley Donovan

Torres

Altidore

I think Torres can play an attacking center mid, especially since Edu and Bradley are more of holding mid-fielders. I would appreciate your thoughts. Even if you think it’s terrible.

15. Turgid Jacobian says:

It is doubtful that many think that his return to play and this goal put Edu ahead of Baby Bradley.

And Clark was probably behind Edu in many many minds before Edu got hurt.

16. KMac says:

With Robben, Kuyt, and possibly Babel up front, and with Van Bommel, Sneijder, Van der Vaart and de Jong in the middle, we will need a solid defensive AND attacking role from Edu and Bradley. It is imperative to close space and mark very tight anywhere near the 18 – the Oranje are so deadly in the offensive third!

17. Robert says:

Seriously, dude… He’s a starter for me right now given Clark’s injury and lack of recent playing time. Torres and Benny are starters versus a more accessible foe. Otherwise, it’s Bradley – Edu in the middle.

18. Igor says:

So true

19. Torres woke up in Pachuca amd dropped a huge F-Bomb, when he checked soccer by ives

20. I don’t want to sound like a donkey but before Edu got injured last year he was def gonna be our starter next to Bradley…. Edu and Bradley play box to box and that is what Senior Bradley wants in the middle…. he wants two way center mids…… Edu-Bradley is the perfect center mid pairing for the USA… both hustle their buttocks’ off and that is all bradley cares about… Edu is Clark plus offense minus red cards plus ability to play CB in a pinch= perfect partner for Bradley…. just imagine Edu and Bradley taking turns running into the box to do exactly what Edu just did today

Ives, have you seen video of the goal that was disallowed when Edu first came on?

21. Start Torres and score first. Throw in Edu the second half and hold down the fort and our score……..Can Edu hold the ball as well as Torres? Or is he a long ball it type of guy? Torres=Claudio Reyna= Hold the ball and lets properly get set instead of the long ball and pray method…

22. OmarVizquel says:

Ives,

I’m sure you might not have complete control over the inner-workings of the comments interface, but a “Show all comments” link would definitely be a help for threads with several pages of comments.

Respectfully,
    O.V.

23. I watch Pachuca very often…. I dont have cable and they are usually on TV…. but Edu brings more bite to the defense…. In an ideal world torres would start but bob prefers def… so Edu will start. The not so bad thing about Edu is that he can and will get into the attack which is great unlike Clark who trys to get into the attack but is less skilled once he does….. Plus Edu is better prepared to deal with the British game which serves us better for the world cup

24. froboy says:

fear the turtle! gotta love MD continuing to represent, between Mo, Clarence Goodson and Robbie Rogers, not to mention Omar Gonzalez and others they continue to play well, hope to see Seitz get in the USMNT mix as he will finally be playing

25. afrim says:

can we for once..just once see something different like a torres-Edu central pairing? atleast in the 2nd half

26. KyleRote says:

HUGE

27. troy mcclure says:

>one of the world’s oldest and most storied rivalries

This is like when you have a really plain looking cousin you want your friend to date and you say “She has a nice personality.”

Really dont care how old something is unless I plan to eat it.
    I do care about being entertained and watching good football with skilled players.
    The scottish league offers neither.

But hey, the league does have a nice personality.

28. Not Ives says:

Good to see him get one. It can only help him. Didn’t get to see the game tho. An Edu Bradley pairing could be starting at the WC and I for one like it.

29. Al17 says:

He did it for the Huns, so I’m not happy at all with his performance. If he does the same for the US then it’s all good but this benefitted the Huns, so it’s no good.

30. DC Josh says:

Sick. Many drunk Scots right now.

Sick first touch from Bougherra? (number 24).

I’m loving the fro though.

31. Turgid Jacobian says:

I could not possibly agree more. Please, please.

32. alex says:

i think it was romanian. definitely not italian

33. agnigrin says:

MO’s goal looked a lot like JOB’s goal vs Portugal in the 2002 WC!

34. Lil' Zeke says:

Heck let’s start them all

35. alex says:

He hasn’t been called in recently (last 9 months) because of injury, Brett…

36. alex says:

It’s not terrible at all in my opinion, Dakota. My only complaint would be that it slightly limits Bradley and Edu’s offensive production, but not that much. I like your lineup.

37. fischy says:

USA! USA!

38. Skinn says:

Can I get some of what you’re smoking.

39. Ted Decker says:

That’s what you call a garbage goal.

40. jdavids says:

word brooklynfc

41. Goalscorer24 says:

Good to see him get the goal, opefully it helps him feel like he is back (even though goal was kind of on garbage duty).

42. Scott A says:

DC Josh touched on the most important aspect, namely, the fantastic fro

43. David says:

I want to see the USMNT play a 4-5-1 vs the Neatherlands on Wednesday. We have the most depth right now at midfield so why not use that to our advantage. It should clog the center of the pitch and disrupt the Neatherlands quick passing attack. Our Line up should be as follows:

Howard

Spector Demerit Boca Bornstein

Edu Torres

Holden Bradley Donovan

Altidore

Bradley shoud play the attacking mid position which he played so well for Harenveen posting 20+ goals. He would give altidore some one to run off of as well as link with Holden, Edu, and Donovan. This would leave Torres in the deap holding roll to pull the stings. I believe that this could be our most effective formation given our current talent and there respective strengths. Cheers

44. Stephen says:

Um, I don’t think Donovan can play forward.

45. Stephen says:

Wow. I mean, I don’t think he should…and I don’t think Torres can play right.

46. Ryan says:

Hi, I’m from Edinburgh Scotland and I was at ibrox for the game, although Edu did not start the game, along with bougerra he was the best player on the park. He also had a goal unluckily disallowed in the first half. Good luck to the US team in the summer.

47. Brad says:

“Look what I found!” -Maurice Edu

48. ThaDeuce says:

hahahahahah!

49. someguy says:

can’t get any more american than that

50. toropug says:

Dont get me wrong I like Edu alot, but Clark plus offense????? what???? He has never scored for the USMNT, and its not like he puts up huge numbers for his club as well. Not saying he does not hustle or do “the little things”, but Rico does as well. I concede Rico has made some bad challenges that turned out red, but he is not coming back from major knee surgery. Edu has plenty of time to get sharp before WC2010 and I think he should make the squad. He is very versatile and has good defensive bite. Clark also deserves a spot. He is very disruptive in the middle and has a cannon for a right foot. I think both deserve a spot and bring strong skills to the team, but Edu is not some major upgrade offensively.

51. Micah King says:

Why does everyone wanna put Jozy by himself up top. Have you all seen Hollands roster it is staked they called an roster like they are about to play Brazil, Spain, Germany, or some other high ranked team. If Jozy is up top by himself and if Holden starts I am not watching.

52. Please do not get me wrong, Clark should be on the plane to South Africa…… I just feel that Edu is much more versitile than Clark…. Clark is just a lil less offensively inclined then Edu

You r def right that it is too early to go gaga over Edu being back to his pre knee injury form (which was amazing, he had two goals and a couple assists while playing a def midfield role……) But if he can get back to that form in time for the world cup (and scoring the winning goal in an old firm game def does wonders for his confidence) we will be in great shape…… I def feel that bradley needs to bring 10 midfielders considering how versitile some of them are
    Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

53. Since he saw his name, he was like I am def gonna start against the netherlands.

But today he wakes up checks SBI.

He should totally make this a post Fmylife.com…..
    Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

54. Niccollo says:

ya it was romanian :)

55. turk bayragi says:

56. Micah King says:

I just don’t want to see USA playing defensively the whole game, and Howard getting shot on left and right 1 billion times.

57. Aosaunders@gmail.com says:

Great goal – too bad the Rangers fans are all racists and enjoy vandalizing his and Beasley’s car. No good deed goes unpunished.

58. Raoul Duke says:

So reading this on SBI yesterday, I was looking forward to seeing highlights on FSC on the Sunday night show.

Not only did they not show Edu’s goal. They didn’t even mention the Old Firm.

Am I missing something?

59. EA Scott says:

Thanks for input Ryan; for some of us it’s tough to get the Scottish games… your lucky to live in a country that is so passionate about soccer :)

60. Chris says:

You have no idea what you are talking about. There might a tiny tiny percentage that are, but most are not. I am a huge Rangers fan and Edu is one of my favorite players; Beasley as well. Go read some forums and see what Rangers fans think of him.