Americans Abroad: A Look Ahead

Brad Friedel 2 (Reuters)

By FRANCO PANIZO

Brad Guzan has received most of the starts for Aston Villa in the club's run to the Carling Cup final, but it could be incumbent Brad Friedel who gets the nod against Manchester United.

Friedel has been red hot as of late, and that, coupled with his experience, may be the reason he replaces Guzan in the Villans' Carling Cup lineup. No matter which goalkeeper starts, stopping Wayne Rooney will likely prove to be pivotal if Aston Villa is to win its first major final in nearly 15 years.

Maurice Edu and DaMarcus Beasley also have an important match this weekend for Rangers. Edu and Beasley  have a chance to play Celtic in the Old Firm derby, and a win for the pair of American midfielders could serve as a boost in confidence before returning to the U.S. national team . A victory would also push Rangers ten points clear of Celtic for the top spot in the Scottish Premier League.

Wondering what other intriguing matches are on tap? One of them will be when Borussia Moenchengladbach goes up against SC Freiburg, as Michael Bradley will likely face U.S.-eligible Daniel Williams.

Here is a rundown of who Americans Abroad will be playing this weekend:

TODAY

Ian Joyce and Southend United play Charlton Athletic.

Jermaine Jones and Schalke 04 play Borussia Dortmund. (Jones is out injured.)

Matt Taylor and FSV Frankfurt play Energie Cottbus.

Michael Hoyos and Estudiantes La Plata play Boca Juniors.

SATURDAY

Stuart Holden and Bolton Wanderers play Marcus Hahnemann and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Frank Simek and Sheffield Wednesday play Reading.

Kenny Cooper and Plymouth Argyle play Sheffield United.

Jay DeMerit and Watford play Newcastle United.

Mike Grella and Leeds United play Huddersfield Town.

Zak Whitbread and Norwich City play Oldham Athletic.

Jon-Paul Pittman and Wycombe Wanderers play Jemal Johnson and Stockport County.

Michael Bradley and Borussia Moenchengladbach play Daniel Williams and SC Freiburg.

Ricardo Clark and Eintracht Frankfurt play VfB Stuttgart.

David Yeldell and TUS Koblenz play FC Augsburg.

Charlie Davies and Sochaux play Lorient. (Davies is out injured.)

Carlos Bocanegra and Stade Rennes play Montpellier.

Jose Francisco Torres and Pachuca play Pumas UNAM.

Edgar Castillo and Tigres UANL play Morelia.

SUNDAY

Brad Friedel, Brad Guzan and Aston Villa play Manchester United in the Carling Cup final.

Landon Donovan, Tim Howard and Everton play Tottenham Hotspur.

Clint Dempsey and Fulham play Sunderland. (Dempsey is out injured.)

DaMarcus Beasley, Maurice Edu and Rangers play Dominic Cervi and Celtic.

Oguchi Onyewu and AC Milan play Atalanta. (Onyewu is out injured.)

Steve Cherundolo, Sal Zizzo and Hannover 96 play VfL Wolfsburg. (Cherundolo and Zizzo are out injured.)

Luis Robles and Kaiserslautern play Karlsruhe.

Freddy Adu, Eddie Johnson and Aris Salonika play Larissa.

Herculez Gomez and Puebla play Chiapas.

Marco Vidal and Indios de Ciudad Juarez play Toluca.

—————–

Which Americans Abroad match are you most looking forward to? Which players do you see having a big impact? Think Friedel or Guzan will get the start? How do you think Edu and Beasley will do against Celtic? Who do you see winning, Bradley and Moenchengladbach or Williams and Freiburg?

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad. Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Americans Abroad: A Look Ahead

1. alex says:

everton totenham

2. DC Josh says:

I hope Freddy and EJ get a lot of time in.

I hope the same for Beas and Edu.

ANOTHER big game for Landon and Timmy.

I hope Stu gets back on the pitch. He played well in London even though his team got their butts whooped.

A very big game for DeMeritt and Watford.

I’ll just be happy if all our AA’s come out Sunday night healthy.

Dempsey was at the unveiling of the new Nike World Cup kits in London yesterday. Read some comments he said speaking about how he is currently running and should be back to full training in a couple weeks. Very good news considering Fulham have two HUGE games against Juventus in 2 weeks.

3. ZacIndy says:

Leeds needs to get back on track. They’ve had a run of pour results here recently. Grella always makes the bench but never gets in.

4. elmatador says:

I don’t think you should cover Micahel Hoyos any longer, until/if he expresses his desire to play for the USA.

5. MikeD says:

Guzan has been struggling with commanding his area in recent starts. I don’t think the Villa fans have much faith in him right now, and a bad performance in a cup final could shatter his confidence more than getting dropped for the final would. That’s why I think Friedel will start.

6. Paul, North Jersey says:

Just bought the new away jersey on the us soccer website! Too bad there are no long sleve jersey’s but I’ll live.

7. afc says:

Pittman vs JJ should be a good one. Pittman did really well in Wycombe’s midweek game and was named Man of the Match.

8. B1879 says:

I’ll probably get over it, but I still think Miss America when I see the huge white sash. I’m sure they’ll look better on the field, but I’d have liked a thinner stripe.

Wait, who cares what I think. Sorry, enjoy your new purchase.

9. DC Josh says:

Agree.

10. dinomitedan says:

until he puts a argentian shirt, ill still have hope! keep covering him

11. DC Josh says:

8 plastic bottles make one jersey, making the jersey the lightest and most breathable. It has bonded seams, not stitched, so its more flexible. It also has perforated sections to make it more comfy.

I wish they would have stayed with the dark blue grey instead of this new blue.

I will wait until I see the white home jerseys until I buy one. But will certainly have a No. 9 Davies shirt for June 12th.

12. joshstpaul says:

is there any chance freidel could be coaxed into national team duty this summer?

13. Mig22 says:

That’ll be tight for Dempsey. He might make it back for the second leg but if he’s just back to full training in 2 weeks, that first Juve game may be asking a lot. I REALLY hope he gets in there though. Good times to play f’n Juve in European tournament.

14. Josh D says:

He’s played well when given a chance and has notched some nice goals. I’m hoping that when Beckford leaves, he’s given a bigger chance. He’s a striker I’m keeping an eye out for in the coming years. I think he plays better behind a striker, quick and has some nice footwork.

Leeds and Grella will be in the CC next season and if he can get some real playing time, we may start seeing him at a couple of national camps.

15. Josh D says:

Just sucks as a player that you’ve brought the team this far and now get usurped… Understandable but tough to take all the same.

16. Josh D says:

I’m holding out for a long sleeve… It’ll be cold in SA…. Davies is a good choice – haven’t decided who I’ll have..

17. Bob says:

Will the home jersey have a red sash?

18. jts says:

Why? The difference between Friedel and Howard is miniscule. Defensive marking and finishing will be the difference.

Nobody to coax into duty will help us there.

19. MVK says:

anyone know if they will have a womens cut of these (for wifey)

20. Sean says:

I really, really, really wish that the US will come out with a red kit once in my lifetime.

21. ZacIndy says:

i think its white on white.

22. afc says:

You must not follow Leeds then because Grella does get into games. Its not much but he doesn’t ride the bench either.

23. Steve C says:

In regards to Daniel Williams… when Ives first mentioned him on here a few weeks ago, I checked out SC Freiburg’s wikipedia page. He was listed on the page w/ an American flag next to his name.

Now, when I check their wiki page… his name has a German flag next to it. Hmm…

24. Steve C says:

edit — On their page, in the 1st squad section he is listed w/ a German flag, but he is ALSO listed on their II Squad w/ an American flag. Weird.

link to en.wikipedia.org

25. ZacIndy says:

i actually do but i was speaking of the last few games were LUFC has had some poor results (compared to earlier in the season)

26. zacindy says:

mid week game not withstanding.

27. Aaron in StL says:

They’ve had a few. ’98 WC and had a limited edition ‘sash’ red jersey. Maybe they’ll feel like the reds were bad karma after the ’98 fiasco

28. Aaron in StL says:

Well wikipedia isn’t necessarily known for editorial integrity

29. DC Josh says:

He’s in the U20 Argentina camp.

The only way he plays for the US is if he isn’t good enough to play for Argentina.

30. JT says:

I am holding out for the red one as well. I know they developed a red kit for 2010, but will they release it…that is another story.

31. wiger toods says:

Nice thing about Wiki is you can always edit the flag to change it back to the stars and stripes…

32. tom v says:

what time is the everton game? is it on tv?

33. Jose S. says:

I think the sash is light grey,

Like the thin stripes on the current white jersey.

34. BooThisMan says:

I’d also argue Williams shouldn’t be included until he at least gets a US passport.

35. Fred says:

It really makes me angry when people suggest bringing Friedel back. Howard is an excellent keeper and has, hands down, been the most consistent and most valuable ‘Nat throughout WC qualifying. In fact, in my darker moments I think BB’s whole strategy is “empty bucket and let Howard deal with it.” After all of Howard’s work, leadership, and success, the idea of giving Friedel Howard’s shirt is completely offensive.

36. NK says:

Does anyone know if Ricardo Clark is back from his injury?

37. Shadowdub says:

It’s on Setanta. I think 8am eastern.

38. Brian says:

Seeing as how he was born in Germany, has represented Germany at the U15 level, and doesn’t have a US Passport (at least he hasn’t gotten one), he is considered German.

Actually as far as I know once he reaches the age of 21, he will have to apply to FIFA (like Jones and Castillo) if he wants to play for the United States.

39. Matt says:

please for the love of god donovan take out Jermaine Genas. cant stand the guys dad hes an idiot, coach against him

40. Kyle says:

I saw on Sky Sports news that Dempsey starting ball training today. Good sign, let’s hope there aren’t any unforseen road bumps.

41. BetaMale says:

When is Grella going to get some serious PT? I’m excited about him

42. BetaMale says:

“Nike brags that the new shirts are basically made of garbage. Why are they still $70?”

Hahaha, top class comment right there

43. HoneyHell says:

NK…article earlier in the week on SBI said he was back from injury and looking to potentially make the squad/bench for this weekends game.

44. joshstpaul says:

whoa fellahs. “really makes me angry”?… relax a bit. i didn’t suggest a replacement for timmy. just wondering if freidel would be interested. i’d rather have some sort of freidel/howard combo than howard/guzan/robles/hanneman/whoever. but i guess you rather sit around getting ANGRY at the suggestion.

i promise not to bring it up again, so you don’t get “angry”.

45. B 16 says:

Why trust wikipedia? Anyone can change the information without any real basis.

46. a22 says:

This is kind of topic but if Holden had chosen to play for Scotland would he be starting?

47. seanie blue says:

Come on. He gets on for ten minutes! In his last ten games in the third division, he’s played more than 15 minutes ONCE. And been left on the bench entirely five times. That’s a bench-warmer to me.