Afternoon updates: MLS Labor update, new USA jersey and more

NewUSAJersey

There is plenty going on today on the news front so here is a quick rundown of some things you should know about.

Today is the deadline for the latest labor negotation extension between MLS and the player's Union. As you probably know by now, a deal isn't going to get done and we've been told the union will be issuing a statement later today. Whether that statement is an intent to strike remains to be seen, but there doesn't appear to be any good news on the horizon.

Some better news. The new U.S. national team jerseys were unveiled today by Nike (away jersey pictured above). You will be able to see them displayed in their full glory at Nikemedia.com later today. My early verdict: Not too bad at all.

In case you missed it, here is my column on last night's USA victory vs. El Salvador for FoxSoccer.com. I wasn't able to put together a proper "Look Back" on the match but the column covers many of my main observations. Ultimately, we can't forget the context of the match (El Salvador's squad was weak) but it does mean something that some players stepped up and made the most of their opportunities while others didn't.

If you're wondering when the U.S. national team will announce the roster for next week's friendly vs. the Netherlands, it should be  released after 4pm today.

I'm down in Florida today, Orlando to be exact, and I will be covering today's pre-season matches at the Walt Disney Soccer Classic (New York Red Bulls vs. the Houston Dynamo, FC Dallas vs. Toronto FC). Be sure to follow along with our commentary tonight, starting at 6pm.

Some good news for New York Red Bulls fans as the club confirmed that Brazilian star Robinho will travel with Santos to New Jersey for the friendly vs. the Red Bulls on March 20. The match is the first official event at the new Red Bull Arena.

Starting to fear that a player's strike is inevitable for MLS? Like the new USA jerseys? Excited to see how the MLS teams do today in Orlando?

Feel free to share your thoughts on any of these topics in the comments section below.

This entry was posted in Major League Soccer, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

128 Responses to Afternoon updates: MLS Labor update, new USA jersey and more

1. Howie says:

In Soviet MLS, Union locks out you?

2. BetaMale says:

Seems like we’re going to get a strike. Thank God we have the World Cup to bring the people back after being turned off by this development

3. Brian says:

Lockout?? F*ck

4. Gorrion says:

Are any 2010 draft picks looking to start or feature in these games?

5. Tstaub says:

Am I the only one sensing that there is another twist in the plot concerning the CBA? Especially with what Conrad said yesterday.

6. Martek says:

When I try to think about the CBA, a big dark cloud forms over my head. I would hope that a solution is found other than striking, and I sincerely do think the players can get what they want without resorting to that measure. Just awful, and I think the lion’s share of the blame lies with the league, for putting their love of power over the longterm interests of the league and the game in the United States.

So to happier thoughts, I do like the new USMNT kits, despite the naysaying from all around me. Last night was like a clinic in awful finishing. As for Robbie Rogers, when Columbus comes here to Houston, I’m going to put a big sign up just above and to the left of goal that reads “Hit this!” He showed last night that he would have no problem from multiple angles.

Ching was clearly MOTM, and if Geoff Cameron’s late strike had been just 18 inches lower the scoreline would have been Houston Dynamo 2, El Salvador 1.

7. Martek says:

Your optimism is getting to me Tstaub. Maybe Jimmy himself can throw that damn ring in Mount Doom and we can all come out happier. Come on JC, you can do it.

8. ThaDeuce says:

Cannot wait for the roster to be announced. Uniforms ain’t bad. Hope the players when the fight and hope donovan stays in Everton.

Oh and one more thing,

U.S.A. will stomp all over the drama club of England in the first round of the World Cup.

U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A.

9. Joe says:

Will there even be games tonight if they announce a lockout?

10. Matt says:

I love the new jersey design. So much nicer than the current model.

11. Matt in Boone says:

Love the new kit

12. Lucy says:

You guys are getting lockout and strike confused. The league has already said they aren’t going to lock the players out. If anything happens, it will be a strike by the players.

13. Hutskizzle says:

We are family! All my collective bargaining agreements and me!

or is that the wrong song for this particular situation right now?

14. K Bone says:

I’m a fan of the jersey, I’m definitely getting one, now I just have to decide which player’s name to get on it…

15. Sdbransonusa says:

The new jersey looks ok to me. I personally like the current model. I’m anxious to see what this jersey looks like once they add numbers. The combo of the stripe and the numbers might look somewhat odd.

16. Murphy says:

anything is better than the current jerseys…

17. Chris says:

I would really prefer that we stick to a given jersey, rather than changing it every cup cycle. You can tweak it a bit, but I would like to see a consistency to it.

That said, I think the current jersey sucks. It looks like the flag of a 3rd world country. If we do stick with one basic design, I hope this isn’t it.

18. DaveTheRave says:

The owners have said they are willing to operate under the expired CBA for this season and will not lock out the players. If there is a work stoppage, it would be due to the players going on strike, not because of the an owner lock out.

19. Chris says:

by ‘current jersey’ I am referring to the new design

20. I like this jersey, and I’m glad they kept it Navy Blue. The all white home jersey I’ve seen leaked around looks the best.

21. Myles B says:

Not bad. For once the US have a kit that doesn’t lool like crap.

22. Not Ives says:

Sorta looks Miss Americaish doesn’t it? Maybe it isn’t designed for looks but to make US players play better? just a thought.

23. OmarVizquel says:

This away is miles better than the bland white home.

24. A Guest says:

I don’t like these jerseys. I really like the ones we’re now retiring.

25. First impression is … I don’t like the Away Jersey. The the white diagonal stripe would make the team look like beauty pageant contestant … Dempsey from Texas! I hope the Home Jerseys are better.

26. A Guest says:

Oh, and I think rather than going on strike, it would be frickin’ hilarious if the players did a “slowdown” as unions sometimes do (sometimes called “work to contract”)… just picture every player working at 50% for the whole game. I would die laughing.

27. tz0n3 says:

I love the new USA jersey. Pre-ordering ASAP.

28. marden08 says:

Could a union once in my lifetime not call the management or owners the most slanderous kind of disparaging names when they can’t get their way? I understand that there can come a time when there is no other way from their point of view to proceed but to strike. Please for just once would a union lawyer call a strike and keep the insults to him or her self. A lockout is the owner’s fault A strike is the player’s representative’s fault.

29. Kayla says:

Love the new USA kits; I feel that some other countries World Cup kits aren’t as good as they had been in the past: I liked Germany’s Euro 2008 kit, hate the new one; England’s world cup kit makes them look like schoolboys.

I really hope that an agreement can be met because the league is going to suffer if the players strike, especially in a World Cup year where there is an opportunity to capitalize on the press if we do well, the results could be devestating; the league is too young to survive with these sorts of issues. Both sides have to give a little, although I lean toward the players side. It’s such a mess.

30. Dinho says:

Rossi!…oh wait…

Subotic!…oh wait…

Hoyos!…oh wait…

CASEY!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I vote Holden.

31. David says:

Don’t like the new away jersey at all

The MLS bears 100% of the responsibility for any strike.

32. Adam M. says:

The White Stripes, anyone? The picture here doesn’t reveal that the number will be under the US crest and not in the middle, making an already loud jersey look cluttered and off-kilter. The home white kit apparently has a much subtler stripe and is the one to get. This one is pretty bad. It might have been good if they flipped the red for the white. By the way, Nike’s shirts this time ’round are almost universally bad.

33. Tstaub says:

Davies, nough said

34. Emh says:

What did Conrad say? Link?

35. alexarmac says:

I like the jersey. However Nike went out of their way to make sure that their logo is prominently displayed. Not crazy about that but I guess it it better than NIKE in big letters across the chest.

36. BK says:

I may be mistaken, but isn’t this kit a throw-back to the last time we beat England in the World Cup? I believe it is and for that, I like it. Almost looks like a Revolutionist carrying a satchel into battle against the Red Coats

37. Mario in QT says:

“I think the lion’s share of the blame lies with the league, for putting their love of power over the longterm interests of the league and the game in the United States.”

Are you serious? Love of power over the millions of dollars they have invested in MLS. You need to stop blubbering out sound bites. If there is a strike all involved will lose money, especially the owners. If enough people don’t come back after a strike MLS may have its lights turned off. Then we can all enjoy EPL etc on FSC.

38. Tstaub says:

For all those who don’t like the sash: google 1950 USA world cup jersey

39. SBGarrett says:

Terrible kit.

40. OmarVizquel says:

This 1950 jersey throw-back business is ponderous. First of all, the current sash jerseys look NOTHING like those 1950 jerseys, other than the fact that there is a sash. Second, google “1950 USA World Cup Group” to learn how — other than beating England — we lost lost our other 2 matches, finished dead last in our group, and didn’t even advance.

I’ve written about this before, but it still annoys me. We might as well have throwbacks to 1994 or 2002, when we actually advanced. Or 1930, when we finished 3rd.

Still, the away looks nice. Better pics of it: link to soccer.com

41. Texar says:

the new jersey, photoshoped for awesomeness: link to twitpic.com

42. JT says:

MLS Strike 2010 = In the immortal words of Queen “Another one bites the dust” – RIP MLS – 1996 – 2009

43. Sandro says:

I prefer the jerseys that we already have the white ones or the blue ones. Not sure why we have change so often and it is not like it is a small change the freaking jerseys change so much from pretty much every year or so. This is really stupid! this all to make a quick buck! come US Soccer you are much better than this!

44. dinomitedan says:

not really diggin the new jersey, but proably buy one anyway.
    LOCK OUT sucks! so much for soccer season

45. OmarVizquel says:

Here’s Clint wearing the jersey (and flashing a faux gang signal, apparently): link to facebook.com

46. MJ says:

Well, I just save a $100 – thanks Nike.

47. reverb says:

Well done Texar, well done.

48. gstommylee says:

who says it’ll be a long strike if there is one.

49. paul says:

On an unrelated note, will Fifa Ultimate Team come out already, I have to work in 3 hours and want a frigging game before

50. 3VIL L33T says:

Not crazy about the white on white, maybe if it had a red stripe like the 1950 one i would pick it up, but i’m def gonna pick up the Blue one… maybe red.

51. Matt (NES) says:

I think the players will stay in camp till Columbus plays their two CL games. Then they strike, if MLS doesn’t lock them out first or a new CBA is agreed upon.

The players need to stand firm and MLS will give some type of Free Agency for the veterans.

MLS has too much on the line, a new stadium in their most important market and another in a top 5 market.

52. Betinho says:

1950 Kit:

link to facebook.com

Hmmm..I kind of see a resemeblence….

53. Judging Amy says:

Relax. You don’t think the concerns of the players union are legitimate?

54. understood says:

the players have to come to their senses and realize they have ZERO leverage in this situation…soccer is just not popular enough in this country for enough people to be upset if the MLS goes on strike/lockout so the owners arent desperate enough to give in on their stance…players just have to take solace in being the pioneers and hope that the future generations of soccer players dont get screwed/help them out unlike in NFL

55. Dominghosa says:

Apologize if someone already mentioned this, but the league already announced last night that they will not lock the players out and are prepared to go into the season running under the old CBA while keeping negotiations open for a new one.
    Now, it’s just a matter if the union is prepared to strike.
    As for the jerseys, I just hope Nike and US Soccer sticks to a main color scheme and a main design so US Soccer could actually get some kind of jersey/kit identity like the rest of the other national teams. Too many color schemes and too many different designs over the years has killed any kind of identity and what is readily recognizable by all fans.

56. OmarVizquel says:

How does it look like the 1950 kit? This current one is a navy shirt with a white stripe and a red collar.

57. Tstaub says:

the overall goal is to be similar in regards to design. Given this is the AWAY kit, the kit from 1950 would be a HOME kit. We don’t know if there was an away kit and what it looked light, but the sash design with crest on the heart is the exact design from 1950. We all know the history of how the team performed in the group. The fact remains America had beaten what many considered the “best” team in the world and its the only time they had beaten England.

58. otergod says:

hoyos isnt gone. He very well could be repping the US.

Despite attending an Argie U20 camp, he’s also stated he would like to attend a US U20 camp as well.

lets not go blowing things out of proportion

59. michael wright says:

im depressed, lets hunger strike until they play

60. OmarVizquel says:

Well, the fact that they didn’t advance from the group is the ultimate story of the US at the 1950 World Cup. We played Italy valiantly in the 2006 WC, but (as we all know) that WC was a huge failure for us.

Besides, the new white jersey sucks. Luckily I think we’ll wear this navy one vs. England (who will be the home team and thus wear white).

61. Katatonia says:

if their is a prolonged strike could the NASL get 1st division status, loosen the strings, and give the players union what they want?

62. Mike Caramba says:

Really don’t get why people don’t like the jerseys. I think they’re in contention for best ever. I’ve heard a lot of stuff about “beauty pageant” looks, etc…I just don’t get it. To me it’s like saying Celtic look like a bunch of prisoners…it’s such a common motif (see 2009/10 kits of Man City, Juve, River, etc.).

I guess I can’t tell people their opinions are wrong, but I’d be extremely surprised if people weren’t in love with this kit by the end of its run.

63. Steve says:

I agree. If you look at the history of every other professional league, it wasn’t for YEARS before they could enjoy the benefits that players do today. Even in the past 15-20 years, salaries of the major leagues have gone up drastically. Congrats to current players for being pioneers, but it won’t be for atleast 10-20 more years until free agency and higher salaries come into play.

64. reverb says:

Primadonna. Can’t seem to get past that word…

65. tonytdc says:

maybe the usmnt members who play in mls will be moonlighting as crossing guards during the strike. lovely white sash.

66. Jeremy says:

Roster for Holland out!

link to ussoccer.com

67. Ben says:

Roster for the dutch is out. Johnson gets called up and Ching is left at home. Also, Findley will be making the trip overseas. ????????

68. Eazy says:

FYI, Chicago tied Chivas in their friendly today.

link to chicagonow.com

69. davidaubudavid says:

Pearce, Bornstein, Findley, and Goodsen are the only players named to the 20 man roster that played last night.

70. Charlie N. says:

In the immortal words of the Rev. Al Sharpton in relation to a hunger strike–”No justice no pizza”.

71. herzog says:

Soviet? No. Fascist? Yes.

72. Martek says:

Amy you are correct. The owners are to blame for this for not understanding the need to establish some form of free agency and guaranteed contracts, or at least negotiate seriously on these points. The “raise” they offered was an insult, not a serious offer.

73. reverb says:

Well, no Ching, no Casey, no Kljestan, no Rogers, no Cunningham and no Beckerman (thank god) for the Netherlands friendly. Pearce, Bornstein and Findley only ones from MLS.
    Bornstein starts, Findley substitutes EJ after 60 and I’m taking odds on Pearce seeing the field.

74. Dan says:

First of all, lets hope there isn’t a strike. This could terribly hurt soccer in America, and in a WC year we need a league around.

Also.. is it just me, or does the USMNT change their jerseys way too often? I know they can sell a lot more by promoting the newest version, but come on. I feel like we worry so much more about fashion than the product on the field (wearing the jerseys).

75. There won’t be a lockout. A strike is possible, though. And it will make the players look terrible.

76. 100 percent? What a ridiculous statement.

77. LAX says:

Lockout? I thought the league said this week they were gonna start the season with the existing contract.. no lockout. If so.. The only way this season is not going off as scheduled is if the Players vote to strike.

78. There won’t be a lockout.

79. Russell says:

I agree with the first part completely. My preference is the 2006 home. I wish this blue had the horizontal strip.

Re this jersey. i give it an “ok”. better than the mid-cycle ones seen last night.

80. bryan says:

love the new jerseys! i’ll take a red one plz. and i REALLY want that track jacket.

81. Anti-player says:

I’m on the owners side in this one.

The players have pitched a fit the last week over a 35 year old servicable goalie and a 33 year old offense only midfielder who has averaged 4 goals a year in his MLS career.

This just in the reason you can’t get a contract is you don’t offer value you’re done. Its not the owners fault you can’t command the salary you’ve made in the past. Youar e free agent, just not in MLS. Move along.

See LaDanian Tomlinson and Brian Westbrook if you want a timely comparison.

82. Roger says:

How could tonight’s statement by the union possibly be an announcement of intent to strike when they haven’t taken a strike vote yet? The union leaders wouldn’t dare to make that announcement without the approval of the members.

83. Matt (NES) says:

If the players strike, there is a $180 million investment not being used in Red Bull arena. Another $120 million investment in PPL park, as well as $60-$90 million in expansion fees that are on the line. Also paying off Home Depot Center and other stadiums.

The players have a little more leverage than you think.

84. Daniel says:

I think they should setup an allocation draft for out of contract veterans. Not free agency but they could negotiate contracts with the league and then be available to the worst teams first and those teams could trade them for value. That would keep them out of the current limbo situation and should be an improvement.

85. Daniel says:

“At the moment, we have no intention of going on strike,”

Read more: MLS labor strife ensnares Hartman – KansasCity.com
    link to kansascity.com

86. soccerroo says:

hate the new jersy. where do you put the number. I do like the color but not a fan of the sash whick is what that looks like. a Miss universe of Miss America sash.

87. DCD says:

These jerseys are fine, except that (1) the Nike logo is too prominently featured by having it in the stripe and (2) it’s inferior to a vertically striped design, which I suppose they figured they had done too recently to return to it now.

88. Jacob A says:

Davies.

Easy.

89. Mario in SJ says:

Legitimate is the wrong word. The answer to legitimate is absolutely yes. If you ask me are they realistic? NO they are not. People, this is MLS not Serie A. This league is way too fragile. The players need to wait at least 5 more years. Those of you who dont know, the MLB players in the 1930s were paid peanuts, similarly the NFL players of the 1950s. Regretfully all the world’s leagues were built on the backs of the early players. THIS IS REALITY!

90. The Dream says:

Could Van Den Bergh still go full speed? Then he could actually keep up with the others.

91. K says:

I’ll wait and see what the team as a whole looks like wearing the kit; the design could give a better sense of cohesion when they pose for the picture and when they’re on the field. It’s not that bad; I would definitely wear it in public proudly. Thank goodness it’s not like the polos that England has to wear. Germany’s, along with several other countries is way too plain, France’s will make the players look like they just got swiped at by Wolverine or something. It could be worse; ours isn’t that bad compared to some others.

92. sjmick says:

couldn’t agree more. give Landycakes a tiara. the home and 3rd jerseys are just variations on a theme.

sometimes a nod to the past should be left at that, just a nod.

93. A says:

New Jersey FOREVA!!! This shirt is AWESOME

94. Rex says:

If the players strike… I will become a Euro snob overnight.

95. cfig says:

While there are those examples, a more relevant point is that a player CAN’T get another contract even when they’re out of contract because that team continues to own their rights. If another team wants to pay you more than you currently make, they can’t. Does that honestly make sense?

96. Rocco says:

There were no groups in 1950. The leaked home kit shows the sash as a subtle off white on a plain background and looks a lot more the 1950 kit.

Still the fact that they designed this before the draw makes me wonder….naahh

97. Shadowdub says:

As I understand it the difference is that Tomlinson and Westbrook are free to sign with another team. The rights to MLS players who are out of contract are still owned by their old team. If the player and team can’t reach a new agreement the team can prevent the player from signing with any other MLS team by requiring other MLS teams to buy the player’s rights.

Here is a Hypothetical example: Kasey Keller’s contract has run it’s course. Seattle offers him league minimum for two years. Keller wants $125K per year for two years. The two sides can’t come to an agreement. San Jose wants Keller at $125K for two years, but Seattle wants San Jose to pay $500K for the rights to sign Keller. Seattle wins and Keller loses in all three scenarios. Seattle has the leverage to force Keller to accept a below market wage, forces him out of the league, or gets the $500K.

In this example, the player is still desirable to teams in MLS and has realistic salary demands but can be forced out of the league if he is not willing to accept below market pay.

I know I wouldn’t want to be in that situation, and I don’t think you would either.

98. fischy says:

Same here.

99. Steve says:

“Effective at midnight tonight, our collective bargaining agreement with MLS will expire,” MLSPU executive director Bob Foose said. “While we expect that negotiations with MLS will resume at some point, there simply hasn’t been enough progress made in the negotiations to date to warrant an extension of the old agreement. We have advised our players to keep working for the time being, but as of Friday they will be doing so without a CBA. In the meantime, all options are being considered as the process continues. We are completely committed to forging real changes to the way MLS players are treated.”

100. bf says:

i think it sucks

101. Wolfgang says:

Where might we be able to watch that mini-MLS tournament? It could be the last MLS-related action for some time :(

102. Dinho says:

Understood…just saying :)

103. OmarVizquel says:

Um, wrong, there were 4 groups in 1950. We were in a group with Spain, England, and Chile. Finishing dead last.

104. OmarVizquel says:

They’re navy or white. No red, sorry.

105. OmarVizquel says:

(2) = correct. But this navy one is fine. The home is horrid.

106. Kitch says:

No grown man should wear the name of another on his back.

107. Jags98 says:

you are correct, they suck. Come on Nike, you can do better than that.

108. No they don’t RBA can be used for numerous things other than soccer, these are business men who can use the stadiums for high school football, college soccer, lacrosse, they can lease out the lounges for social events. Theres always away to make money, the players are very short sided in their goals. Any growing business knows the best way to conquer your market is to spend on R&D in this case they should spend that money on developing youngsters not feeding the egos of the veterans.

109. Jody says:

Why? Is it some sort of tough guy/man-law?

110. Who says if another team wants to pay them more they can’t? If another team wanted these players they would make a trade for them. Then they could pay them more. If Hartman was wanted he could get traded same with vanden burgh the problem is their salaries don’t match what they are going to put out this season.

111. But if San Jose wants him then they pay the 500K. The problem with your example is that the TEAMS all understand the rules, they aren’t the ones trying to change them. San Jose Knows they have to pay for him, and even if that they have numerous things to trade. As for NFL the samething happens their they can franchise a player, they can also match the first offer.

112. Brett says:

On the jersey: I’ve seen worse for sure, but I’m still disappointed. To date the ONLY USMNT jersey I have actually liked enough to buy was the one from the ’06 cup with the two-band stripe behind the badge.

It’s just Nike. I hate their designs. I really really really really wish the USSF would sign a deal with Adidas. Adidas makes the sickest kits, hands down. The new Germany black shirt is beyond badass.

113. UPthaTOON says:

I think the new kit is the best of all the new nike kits.

Portugal’s is the worst.

114. Jamie says:

I agree with the uni’s not being too good. It looks like a high school marching band uniform, or maybe solid colored jersey’s with a miss america sash on them. Either way, I think all parties involved could have done better…

115. kfly says:

That’s one hell of a jersey. Let’s hope the white is the same design but has a red stripe.

116. phil says:

jersey = ick

117. rick says:

Why the !#$^#@ is the Jersey not Red!? We often don’t have enough USA fans in the stands, and the ones we have are wearing White, Blue, Red and Grey. It is stupid and takes away the power of one color. The USA fans should wear Red.

118. cencalifutbol says:

jerseys are ehh. that said im gonna get a cd 9 jersey as soon as the home kit comes out

119. TimN says:

I like the kit…and I don’t get the “Miss America ” crap comments. It’s a tribute to the 1950 jersey, which had the sash.

I personally haven’t liked a kit since the 2006 3rd red jersey we wore against Latvia, and the 2004 3rd jersey even though it had that strange 3/4 sleeve. Those were nice looking jerseys.

I’ve always disliked all of the kits that have had the horizontal stripe across the chest. The last cycle of jerseys were simply AWFUL…a golf shirt and a gunmetal grey uninspired piece of garbage.

120. Rocco says:

You’re right, my apologies. I was confused because there was no round of 16 with only group winners passing through.

121. Scott A says:

Like the away jersey a lot. Don’t think I’m a fan of the home one. I’m curious to see how this design would look in red.

122. Josh D says:

Love that jersey. Very classic looking and basic – no need for added flair. I look forward to watching the England game in SA wearing mine!!!!

123. Jason says:

People who scoff with the beauty pageant remarks must not know their soccer history since the ‘sash’ design is similiar to the one worn by the 1950 squad. Considering the match with England is 14 days shy of the 60th anniversary, it’s no surprise they went with the design.

Overall it’s no worse than previous designs. If you want to talk about ugly, look at Slovenia’s kit. It looks like a Charlie Brown shirt.

124. Nats says:

The jersey reminds me of the Peru jersey.

125. goforgoal says:

It is probably a good idea not to buy 2010 season tickets until this is labor dispute is resolved. If owners do not have the bucks, we may have a problem getting our money back.

126. BrianK says:

Do not like these uni. Nike is trying too hard. They got it right with the 1995 home and away kits. We should have stuck with those.