Monday Ticker: On Donovan, Bocanegra and more

LandonDonovanEverton (Reuters)

Landon Donovan is loving life in the English Premier League, and it appears he wouldn't be opposed to staying a bit longer than first planned.

Donovan's Everton loan spell is set to last ten weeks, but after his second straight solid performance for the Toffees, Donovan admitted that he would be open to extending the stay if all parties involved could agree.

“The future is out of my control," Donovan told the Liverpool Echo. "I want to enjoy this experience. That means I show up for training and I’m ready. I show up for the game and I’m ready.

“But who knows what will happen in the future. Football’s funny and you never know what could happen," Donovan said. “If I look back after 10 weeks and say I really want to stay then maybe I can make that happen. If I say OK it was good, but I’m ready to go then I can go, but for now I’m taking it week by week.”

Donovan had been set to rejoin the Galaxy for the start of the 2010 season after having signed a new four-year, $9 million deal with MLS.

Here are some other stories to get your Monday going:

Hull land Zaki on loan

Jozy Altidore's battle for playing time just got a bit tougher after Hull City secured the services of controversial Egyptian striker Amr Zaki.

Having been dropped from Egypt's African Cup of Nations squad, Zaki was last seen bailing on his most recent club side, Egyptian club Zamalek, but has now re-appeared with Hull on Loan. His arrival could cut into the minutes Altidore was already battling for.

Altidore did not dress in Hull's 0-0 tie vs. Tottenham on Saturday. He has been given time off by head coach Phil Brown to deal with his family's plight in Haiti.

Bocanegra loan looms

Carlos Bocanegra was on the bench for Stade Rennes yet again this past weekend, but his struggle for playing time could come to an end if a long-rumored loan deal to St. Etienne comes to fruition this week.

Bocanegra has lost his starting left back spot at Rennes to Romain Danze, and looks like he will need to make a move of some sort to avoid spending the months before the 2010 World Cup on the bench and not playing. While a loan in France seems like the most likely next step, there are a handful of MLS teams hoping he considers a return to Major League Soccer.

————-

What do you think of Donovan staying at Everton beyond the original 10-week loan deal? Hoping he stays until the World Cup? Worried about Altidore's playing time? Could you see Bocanegra returning to MLS, or are you hoping he stays in France?

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad, European Soccer, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

106 Responses to Monday Ticker: On Donovan, Bocanegra and more

1. over there says:

Does this mean Landon isn’t committed to the Galaxy? lol I believe Don Garber just vomited in his mouth. Grant Wahl, sharpen your pencil.

2. madmax says:

According to former manager Steve Bruce, Zaki is the most unprofessional footballer he ever saw. I hope Jozy doesn’t get contaminated.

3. Franky says:

Donovan has done his duty to MLS. If he wants to go, he should feel free.

This Egyptian guy seems like a huge clown. Dropped from an Egypt squad we crushed 3-0 and was called the “most unprofessional player” ever by Wigan boss Steve Bruce. If Jozy is losing time to this guy, that is trouble.

This is not good news for an aging Bocanegra. Its right now when the defection of Nevin Subotic is really hurting

4. SG says:

Ummmmm Dempsey? Any word?

5. Franky says:

And when are we suppose to hear about Dempsey’s knee scan?????

(SBI-After he actually has it. At this point I would imagine he’s either just had it or is about to have it. I wouldn’t expect word until closer to noon. We’ll be keeping an eye out for the latest.)

6. Jeff says:

As a Galaxy fan, I have no problem with holding a double standard regarding loan extensions.

7. kofi_x5 says:

Well said my man
    Jolly good

8. Heidi says:

Jozy didn’t dress on Saturday because he was given compassionate leave. He has family in Haiti and he was given time to find out about their welfare.

9. wilbur06 says:

He has a ton of skill. He is just very self-involved and to say he is not a team player is a compliment.

10. OmarVizquel says:

He’s also an admitted anti-Semite. But other than that he’s a helluva guy.

11. jtd says:

dempsey is most likely out for a while with cruciate damage in his knee.

bummer.

12. John says:

Who are you talking to? It’s mentioned in the article.

13. Al_OC says:

Should we start calling him Landon Beckovan? But in this case, I’ll support the extension move if it happens.

14. Im happy for Landon. As a Galaxy fan I feel he has more than done his duty with us and MLS and if he has the chance to stay.. I say take it.

As far as dempsey goes, never liked him as a player but he has been one of the most in form players as of late at this will hurt if its a long term injury.

I guess we could go with:

howard

boca/spector/castillo

demerrit

gooch/boca

Cherundolo/spector

jones/edu

bradley

torres/benny

donovan

beasley/torres

altidore

with altidore as a loan striker but give donovan the freedom to roam up top..

15. jtd says:

missed the article in the previous page scrolldown. oops.

still a bummer.

16. baquito alyeska says:

anybody have a stream for Dempsey’s MRI?

17. Aaron in StL says:

I completely understand Donovan wanting to stay, but he has to realize the complete irony in this statement…especially after 2 games. More power to him though, he has played well so far.

While a Zaki signing doesn’t seem great for Jozy, it could work out better than we think. With both Cousin and Fagan set to leave, maybe he’ll be able to partner up with Zaki and actually get a little more assistance. Jozy losing minutes is a huge possibility..but I just hope he can form a partnership with Zaki and make it hard for Brown to leave him off. Right now I’m assuming JVoH will get the nod, so Jozy is going to have to really work on being the ‘point man’ if he wants to play, which is what he needs to improve w/the Nats as well. Let’s hope he grows up fast.

18. Antonio says:

Here are some highlights of Donovan only highlights from his match this weekend:
    link to watchsocceronline.blogspot.com

He definitely has the ability to stay. Despite some rough touches, he can totally hang.

19. ole! says:

Well done.

20. OmarVizquel says:

Altidore as a lone striker in the World Cup? Hmm. Listen, I know we don’t have many possibilities left if Dempsey goes out, but the thought of handing our World Cup aspirations to a kid who hasn’t scored one goal in his league — and who has looked out of his depth — is scary. I can’t believe we’re going to be hoofing longballs Jozy’s way, considering how poor his touch has been for so long.

21. ... says:

zaki… worst idea ever he will tear up that dressing room like its nobodys business

22. thinking positive says:

It was reported that Dempsey injured his Posterior Collateral Ligament (PCL) by his coach. This might be good news. With some time off and proper rehab it is POSSIBLE that he could continue playing without surgery and make the WC squad. But we haven’t heard the MRI results yet. If anything else is damaged all bets are off.

23. KCB says:

Between injuries and playing time, I’m slowing becoming less optimistic about this summer’s World Cup. As long as we make it out of the group this time then I guess it won’t be a complete disappointment.

24. well i would like to think that we have passed the longball stage at this point. The key here would be the d-mid behing bradley and torres. with either edu or jones locking up the midfield it gives both torres and bradley more freedom to roam higher and send in through balls to landon, jozy and dare i say beasley or whoever plays on the wings. We have three very skilled midfielders in feilhaber torres and to a lesser extent bradley.

25. Erik says:

I have seen these comments at various sites and it’s amazing to me that people are so ignorant to the facts.

Wasn’t Donovan claiming that Beckham was being unprofessional as a player and to his team by not being committed to the Galaxy as a whole the year BEFORE he left to Milan? And when he extended his stay it was another example of him being unprofessional in Donovan’s eyes.

Also, Donovan didn’t sign a 250 million dollar contract and then decide he had to leave to Europe for half the time the MLS was in season.

Donovan has every right to leave MLS. He’s paid his dues and carried the league long enough.

26. IMSYE87 says:

ives, how does it feel to know you hold the fate of numerous USMNT fans lives as we all wait to hear word of dempseys prognosis?

this may well be the first time a blog has triggered a mass suicide in history. dont give us that koolaid ives. DO NOT GIVE US THAT KOOLAID IVES.

27. Erik says:

No worries, injuries happen to every team. Who thinks Gerrard will actually be fit for England? What about Becks?

Rooney could break his foot again as he has several times already. Roll with the punches – who steps on the field will play their heart out regardless.

28. Austin says:

chicago, Kansas city, and dc united could all use boca…. Playing is playing, he should keep his mind on MLS

29. TimN says:

If the PCL is torn, he’s looking at likely surgery and a solid 6 months recovery time. That would essentially put him out of form for the WC.

This is when having depth matters, and I’ll have to rack my brain a little to think of a viable line-up that doesn’t include Dempsey or Davies and can still make it out of the group. This is assuming Oneywu will be a go.

You have to think guys like Torres and Holden just moved way up on the consideration list. It would also be awesome if Jermaine Jones could get healthy to help offset this Dempsey injury some.

30. Kevin in Denver says:

We’re freaked out about a “soccer” players knee injury ahead of the WC.

5 MONTHS AWAY.

Footie has arrived in America.

31. Chris says:

So could the Red Bulls, and they have priority on the allocation list ;)

32. Erik says:

Doesn’t it suck as well though? I can’t even get through a work day not hearing about soccer scores…

It used to be bliss…

33. Stephen says:

We also have to keep in mind that there are many uncertainties in MLS this season. We don’t even know if there is going to be a season at all or that it’s even going to start on time.

34. RBNY15C says:

If Bocanegra returned to MLS, would the Red Bulls get first shot at him since they are #1 in the allocation order? How does that work?

35. SG says:

Hopefully the US can still manage to perform well without some of it’s stars this summer. It won’t be easy but if they can
    make it out of their group I would say it’s a suvces based on the injuries they’ve suffered.

36. alexandria says:

The difference to me from this year and last year with Becks is that he was bad mouthing the league and his teammates and talking about the level of play and bla bla bla, Landon is just saying that if it came up he wold be open to staying, he’s not forcing the issue like David did. I hope everton extend his stay they’ve been playing a helluva alot better, Hey what happend to all the “He won’t play” haters? Where are you guys!!

37. EA says:

Link?

Not bashing, just curious.

38. alexandria says:

So true Erik, Gerrard might need surgery on his groin, and right now his form and confidence is FAR from where it was last year.

39. Rocco says:

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

40. Aaron in StL says:

We all get that. It’s just funny to see LD make this 180 not even a year after his comments about Becks.

I don’t think anyone disagrees he deserves a move and can play in the EPL.

41. Einar says:

I just realized bocanegra is 30 years old and so is Demerit hmmmm. By the way I would love to have Casey as our target striker sorry guys. If he is in great form in the MLS again this season than start him. But if Davies comes back somehow out of nowhere than thats when we need Altidore up top starting

42. Erik says:

Again, it’s not about doing a 180 I don’t think. He didn’t come from Europe and sign a 250 million dollar contract only to then leave to Milan as soon as he could. After putting in a shoddy effort (according to Donovan) for his new club team who pays his bills.

43. Erik says:

Boca and Demerit are gone after this WC cycle. Time for some new blood, younger players.

Keep Casey as far away from the MNT as possible, he’s not good enough… sorry.

44. mwc says:

This situation highlights why Holden has to choose his move wisely. He needs playing time more than anything else.

45. luis says:

i was looking at Moyes past history..and he has a tendency of taking player on loan and if they perform well he signs them permanently. Here is a list of a few players which he took on a loan and now play a key role in everton (i know arteta is injured, but he was key when he was healthy):

Joseph Yobo
    Mikel Arteta
    Steven Pienaar
    Tim Howard

So i wouldn’t be surprised if Donovan is signed permanently during the summer transfer window.

46. Dylan says:

It’s time for Boca to come back to MLS. He can’t learn anymore about the game and he’ll get plenty of Playing Time here. Seems like a no brainer, his career is on the downslide now.

47. Josh D says:

The $250 million contract isn’t the whole pictures. MLS isn’t paying half of that, best to use realistic figures.

Landycakes is finally able to compete and doesn’t want it to end! Who would want to leave 40,000 fans shouting your name, big bucks, and European aspirations to head back to a league vying for credibility?

I love MLS and hope it succeeds but if you’re a player, you know where your heart is and MLS isn’t that destination yet.

Disappointed in Landycakes after all that crap he said about Beckham. Shows, given the right environment, minds change at the drop of a hat!

On a side note, loving the guy at Everton.

48. wilbur06 says:

That is if Everton can afford Donovan. Everton does not have the pockets that other EPL clubs have. I am sure they are all keeping their eyes on Donovan as well.

49. Dennis says:

I am getting even more worried about the USA’s chances in the W.C. I just do not think the US has the depth to lose Onweyu, and Davies, survive probably losing the inclusion of J. Jones who is still hampered by injury, Bocanegra’s lack of playing time, Altidore unable to get game time and score, Cooper similarly not playing much, now Dempsey possibly out of the W.C. (certainly out for a while). That is a lot of holes to fill. I suppose some combo of Marshall, Goodson, DeMerrit, Cherundolo, Spector, Bornstien and Bocanegra might still work in the back. In midfield, Holden can probably step in for Dempsey (might have any since Dempsey was likely needed up top), defensive mid is the only position with multiple, arguably equal quality players. Up top, I can’t think of a single player who makes me smile in a ggod way: Ching, Cooper, Casey, Finley, Altidore, Cunningham, Adu, Johnson, Twellman … of the group only Finley, Casey and Cunningham did particularly well for their clubs in 2009 and playing in MLS, they will just be getting into form as the W.C. approaches.

It does require a lot of optimism to be a US fan!

50. Aaron in StL says:

Money shouldn’t be a prevailing factor in loyalty to your club. And we all know the real money in his contract comes from marketing/advertising agreements.

I don’t hold it against Donovan for wanting to go, he deserves his chance. He’s earned it. I agree that Becks was being a turd trying to get out of his responsibilities so quickly, but it doesn’t discount that LD is in a very similar situation. And I just find it funny he’s talking like this after only 2 games. I expected it later, but he’s come out pretty quickly.

51. Aaron in StL says:

I was wondering the same. I know that Seattle has Montero on loan technically, did that go throught the allocation process?

If he’s not being outright sold, I wonder if the the rules change?

52. Aaron in StL says:

Agreed. This is part of the reason I could see Spector moved to CB. There seem to be a lot more prospects on the outside than the center.

53. alexandria says:

I know this isnt the place for this but I’ve got to say it, I am completly over ManUre supporters and there whole the owners are ruining our club campaign,If I was the glazers I would put the club up for sale for three billion pounds, then I’d sell the club to Jerry Jones and see how the fans like that. If I feel bad for anyone its Tampa fans who have to watch their club go down the tubes to support Manchester United, thats ridiculous.

54. JC says:

While looking for Clint Dempsey news on Fulham FC website, I watched Brian McBride exclusive interview video on their site. Looks like he returned to England last week (when all the games were canceled due to the weather) to take a peek at the bar they named after him.

55. alexandria says:

Nah, I think Spector needs to stay outside, he plays there regularly, i think if it is last resort then yeah, but we have Marshall, conrad and gonzalez coming up, so I’m not worried about our cb’s really, personally I hope Boca doesn’t play, he never closes down defenders, he always stops and turns his back, Boca goes to the bench for leadership and Landon becomes the full time captain on the field.

56. ms says:

double agreed! Jozy looks way over his head in the EPL. In fact, it was only his athleticism that had him making an impact in the MLS. I think it was the right time for him to leave MLS, but I had a feeling this was going to happen.

57. moosecat says:

bye bye boca

58. Erik says:

Conrad is how old? I don’t think Marshall has what it takes either, but I could be wrong. What ever happened to Whitbread and that Sheffield Wednesday guy?

Spector is a good crosser of the ball, keep him out wide. Maybe Orozco can make the jump, though I haven’t seen enough him to know any better.

59. Ceez says:

Not to sounds like a Bio/Nursing nerd but PCL is Posterior Cruciate Ligament.

PCL = Posterior Cruciate Ligament
    ACL = Anterior Cruciate Ligament
    LCL = Lateral Collateral Ligament
    MCL = Medial Collateral Ligament

So yeah, there’s no such thing as a Posterior Collateral Ligament in your knee. :)

60. Erik says:

Don’t forget he signed Cahill from MILLWALL after he saw him in the FA Cup against Machester United. He also signed McBride for a loan spell. He is like Martin O’Neill – he can get the best out of otherwise average players.

61. Ceez says:

On Montero: really? I thought MLS bought out his rights. Clarification, anyone? =\

62. Ceez says:

It was even on ESPN last night. A whole segment dedicated to his injury. OMG! lol

63. Aaron in StL says:

They did make a good chunk of change off the Lescott to Man City deal. They have enough probably to tempt MLS.

With the way Fellani is playing he could possibly move for a hefty fee as well, although Moyes wouldn’t want to unload him for any price.

64. alexandria says:

Whitbread is like late 20′s himself along with simek, I like Marshall he shut down costly very well in the gold cup his problem in the final was having to cover for heath pearce who kept pushing up too far and leaving him and goodson exposed to faster players. I was referring to Gonzalez coming up not conrad, but for the sake of 2010 conrad should be in the discussion, if he dosen’t get hurt I don’t think mexico wins the way they did. And Orozco has a chance he just needs to play vs the players he will e going up against thats why his move to MLS makes sense, to me.

65. Erik says:

How much did they make on Lescott? 22 million? They didn’t even bring anyone else in this year – they have at least 10 million to spend.

66. Erik says:

Felanni is not going anywhere – he was their record signing just last year.

67. Aaron in StL says:

I think they may have, but originally he was a loaner. So I don’t know if it’s different because they were an expansion franchise. Maybe loans a team can avoid allocation? I don’t know.

68. JC says:

In hat interview, Brian McBride said if there’s a crazy number of injuries to US National team, he won’t turn down offer to come back to the national team.

69. Erik says:

Aaron,

I will agree with you on the money part. I also fully expected Donovan to want to stay. I also had a feeling he would be a hit for Everton where he had a chance to play and everyone on the team works their socks off.

I hope they just sign him permanently unless he starts to suck.

70. Erik says:

I would take him to the World Cup over Casey and Ching…

71. Erik says:

Scratch that – Ching has earned a place at the World Cup – just leave Casey home.

72. Jon says:

With the sadness of Dempsey’s W.C. hopes possibly shattered, Im looking forward to a big “step-up” by Holden! We all saw what he can do in the Gold Cup. He Stepped up there, now it’s a much bigger stage. I am so ready for a big surprise from him.

73. TomCat says:

LD owes MLS NOTHING! He topped out there being the “big fish in a small pond”. His skills were topped out at LA. He’s in his prime right now and owes it to himself if he chooses to stay in the EPL.

He also doesn’t owe any explanation for the Beckham fiasco. They seem to have “made up”.

The 2 situations are apples and oranges.

Have a great time LD and best of luck!

74. What we have seen in Donovan’s play for Everton is that, yes, Landon probably has as much potential as we always wanted to believe, but also that his soccer intuition and some refinement have been held back by playing in the MLS.

If you want to get better in soccer, you play with the best players you can. Better teams play not just better, but differently. The game teaches.

In some ways Donovan pales compared to his Everton teammates, but for no fault of his own. He simply hasn’t been playing with that level of club play for the time the others around him have.

It looks to me like Donovan might just raise his play to a whole new level. He has his work cut out for him, but he seems motivated and is playing with a squad that seems to appreciate what he brings them.

This is Landon’s moment — not for easy glory — but for the growth his talent begs for.

75. Jimmy says:

PLEASE IVES LET DEMPSEY BE OK….PLEASE!

76. alexandria says:

I think he owes them for rescuing his career, without MLS we might have never even heard of Landon Donovan. It was MLS who arranged his loan back to them and paid the transfer fee, so Yeah he does owe them, and they also owe him, He’s done his time and if he stays til the end of the season good for him and if he doesn’t good for him, this story is a win win, Landon has silenced all his critics who said he would have trouble stepping in and dealing with the greatest league on the planet, all of this after not having played since november, it says to me the gap is closing.

77. BCC says:

You have to look at the business side of this.

He signed the extension to increase his transfer value. I do not think that anyone in MLS thought Donovan was going to fulfill this most recent contract.

It is common for players to sign extensions and then make a transfer. I can’t even remember how many times I have heard a guy commit to his team forever shortly before leaving. It’s all a ploy to extract the max amount from a potential suitor.

Everton will extend the loan if both sides want, but I doubt that will be Donovan’s eventual destination because I don’t think they have the funds to pay a transfer fee. LD and MLS have to be hoping that a big money club will step in at some point.

Anyone who thought Donovan was going to actually see out this latest contract with the Galaxy is either naive or simply doesn’t understand how the business side of soccer works.

78. alexandria says:

The allocation process is only for returning US internationals. The discovery process is the weird one where teams can claim the saw someone first. These have nothing to do with Freddy Montero, Foreign players can sign with whatever team they want to, Its returning National teamers that get screwed.

79. BCC says:

“Rescuing his career”? Hardly. He didn’t have success with a couple big German clubs — so what? He could have gone to any number of smaller leagues in Europe. He has done a tremendous amount for MLS, and he’s going to do a lot more for them if and when he fetches a significant transfer fee.

80. alexandria says:

What are you talking about? Landon is by FAR the best passer on everton right now, after just two weeks, and he himself said the level of play wasn’t anything he wasn’t used too. I mean pull the epl blinders off, everyone is raving about his seemless transition and your talking about how MLS has held him back, guess you didn’t watch the allstar game where the MLS players completly out played this same everton squad. Its crazy to me how many people still bash MLS for not being some kind of equal to an epl club, I don’t think argentines or brazilians bash there players or league as much as Americans do.

81. quakes says:

GrantWhal Twitter:

Fulham tells Yanks Abroad Clint Dempsey had MRI today but severity of injury won’t be revealed until Tuesday: link to bit.ly

82. sonicdeathmonkey says:

And Beckham didn’t sign a $250M contract either. If you’re gonna whine about other folks not getting things right, at least get YOUR facts straight. Until then….FAIL.

83. alexandria says:

Yeah he could have, but he didn’t want to he wanted to return home, so yea, I’d say they threw him a lifeline.

84. Joamiq says:

People, don’t forget, Landon was primarily upset with Becks’ apparent lack of commitment while he was actually with the Galaxy. He thought Beckham was dogging it and not being a team player. The Milan loan stuff was secondary. Landon’s current situation doesn’t make him hypocritical at all.

85. ELAC says:

Bocanegra to Chivas USA. I’m starting the rumor, now.

86. CrispyST3 says:

Seriously man, that would be ligit, it would also make way for some “new” stars to be born. If some of our lesser known players are forced to step up and do a great job, i would be happy with that.

87. kenny_b says:

SPOT on BCC, That is exactly why he signed with Galaxy. There isn’t a loyalty question. If Donovan proved to play well enough in EPL and wanted to stay, at least MLS would get fees out of it. The only way Donovan comes back is if he doesn’t succeed in Premiership and he gets a good raise at MLS.

88. jig says:

they brought in the russian, bilyaletdinov. I also think that if Chelsea came in with the right offer for Fellaini, they would take it.

89. CrispyST3 says:

haha, nice one! That gave me a chuckle

90. over there says:

Calm down sparky, it was a joke. I hope he does get the full transfer to Everton. It’s just hilarious after the book fiasco.

91. jig says:

the reason argentines and brazilians wouldnt bash their league is because they always churn out top class players for export and their national teams are the best in the world. so that would make sense.

The all star game? Come on, are people really still making this argument? Everton was in preseason, do you get that? The only goal of games like that is do get a little bit more fitness and not get hurt. the european team in these contests have absolutely nothing to prove.

Also, he’s not even close to being “by FAR” the best passer on Everton. Over the course of his two game, he has completed 42 of his 60 attempted passes, a 70% completion rate. By contrast, Pienaar (50/64) and Fellaini (65/74) completed 78% and 88%, respectively. I guess I’m not sure where you’re coming up with this assertion, as the facts don’t indicate as much.

92. alexandria says:

So by yor assertation if Manchester United goes and plays uribe unito and loses thats nnot a big deal? Or if Bayern Munich plays Aljazeera and loses thats not a big deal? To debunk an argument cause you don’t agree is clueless, if any athlete aproaches a game trying not to get hurt they will, secondly preseason is a time to set you up for the season many of the guys on Evertons team are blue collar guys not premadonnas who take wearing the shirt for granted so I’m pretty sure they give a damn about the performance they put out there. Landon hasn’t played since november for him to come in and pass at 70% using your numbers and the guys around him to be in midseason form then yeah, I’ll stick to my assesment.

93. tz0n3 says:

As a Hull fan before Altidore got there, I hope Zaki keeps his ego in check. But I think a pairing of the two would be interesting. :)

94. Seriously says:

bah ives and bob probably dont blink an eye at bocanegra’s declination .. he is guaranteed favorite no matter the form

95. kpugs says:

Zaki is an absolute cancer who cares about only one person: himself.

The problem for Jozy is that Zaki also tends to score goals. But I’m sure he’ll play himself out of Hull in no time. He’s a true a$$hole and an awful teammate. Why anyone would want a guy who clearly doesn’t care about any team he plays for (including his own country) is beyond me.

96. I thought Donovan only had like 1 more year on his contract with MLS before he signed this big one. Wouldn’t it be easier for a club like Everton to pick him up on a free transfer a year later? Now they have to pay a large transfer fee that they probably don’t have the funds for. Just thinking maybe he should have done what Holden did, let his contract run out so he can go overseas as a free transfer?

97. Joseph D'Hippolito says:

Those of you commenting on Donovan miss one BIG point: MLS is threatening to lock out its players over the CBA negotiations. You think Donovan isn’t keeping abreast of the situation? Why would he *need* to try to extend his loan if he *knows* the Galaxy’s season will start on time? Donovan isn’t stupid; he probably knows that a lockout is inevitable — and that it could last three months, given MLS’s decision to take a break for the World Cup. Who wants to be idle for that long, especially if that player is pivotal to his national team’s success in the sport’s most important tournament?

98. BCC says:

MLS gets nothing out of a free transfer; Donovan was doing them a favor. If they can get $15 or $20 million for him (assuming he plays well at Everton and then has a big World Cup), then he has “repaid” whatever he may have “owed” MLS.

The Holden situation is the absolute worst case scenario for MLS because they don’t get anything for him. My guess is that MLS offered him a last-minute contract as a means to get a transfer fee, not to actually keep him in the league.

Holden and Donovan are very different commodities at the moment. Donovan is in some respects a proven player whereas Holden is not (compare their international careers, for example), so it’s not useful to compare the two.

Teams never want player contracts to expire because they want a piece of a transfer fee. Signing players to new contracts means nothing in Europe in terms of whether a guy is actually going to stay.

99. BCC says:

A “life-line” is, by definition, a single option. You admit yourself he had many options, so . . .

Metaphors aside, it’s disingenuous to say that MLS was the only place he could have gone. He has raised the profile of the league, played well — I don’t think he owes anyone anything.

100. gabe says:

“Wasn’t Donovan claiming that Beckham was being unprofessional as a player and to his team by not being committed to the Galaxy as a whole the year BEFORE he left to Milan?”

The story is that Landon was more perturbed by what he saw as a lack of effort, leadership, and commitment while he was at the galaxy. The loan deal itself was not upsetting, but the fact that Beckham seemed altogether disinterested for long stretches of that season while in LA was the focus of the gripe. That being said, this is a business guys. Clubs aren’t loyal to players when they’re past it most of the time, so when a player gets a higher chance, he only hurts himself if he loses out on it.

101. derrick says:

i’d like to see donovan leave mls permanantly. or at least until he’s 34 and ready to ride off into the sunset

102. Turgid Jacobian says:

Agreed.

103. DC Josh says:

I hope Boca goes to a team where he can walk into the XI and get his form and confidence back. He plays on the left for Rennes, does anyone know why? Is he not good enough to play in the middle, or is he that good where they just want him on the field, as Bradley did in the Confed. Cup with him?

Donovan would be a hypocrite if he asks to stay (more like WHEN he asks to stay) with Everton. I will keep my mouth shut because it is a meaningless argument and only benefit his form. Who cares.

104. Tyler says:

There’s no question about it. If he wants to improve and play his best soccer it has to be with the best players. There is no debate about the talent of the English Premier League vs. MLS. This is an opportunity that I think he’s already capitalizing on he just needs to stay with it as long as he can. He’s playing great soccer. Why would you settle for less?