Mid-Day Ticker: Paraguayan striker shot; Arena makes Hall of Fame and more

SalvadorCabanasReuters

By AVI CREDITOR

One of Paraguay's most prolific scorers is in a fight for his life.

Salvador Cabanas, a starting striker for the Paraguyan national team and Club America in Mexico, was shot in the head in the bathroom of a Mexico City bar on Monday. He is listed in critical condition.

Cabanas, 29, was reportedly at the bar with his wife early Monday morning at the time of the shooting. Two suspects have been apprehended, but details surrounding the shooting are still unclear.

Cabanas, who scored two goals in Club America's win over San Luis on Jan. 17, was conscious upon arrival to the hospital and underwent surgery to remove the bullet from his head.

He was expected to be an integral part of Paraguay's World Cup squad, which is grouped with Italy, New Zealand and Slovakia.

In other Monday news:

ARENA ELECTED TO HALL OF FAME

Los Angeles Galaxy coach Bruce Arena was elected to the National Soccer Hall of Fame, joining Preki and Thomas Dooley in the Class of 2010.

Arena, who was elected off the Builder's Ballot (Hall of Famers and select soccer administrators comprise the voters), won five NCAA titles at Virginia, led DC United to the first two MLS Cups and guided the U.S. national team to the quarterfinals of the 2002 World Cup, among other accomplishments.

ALGERIA STUNS IVORY COAST AT ACN

After a shoddy showing in the group stage, U.S. World Cup opponent Algeria is hitting its stride in the African Cup of Nations.

The underdogs stunned the Ivory Coast with goals in the 90th and 93rd minutes to advance to the semifinals with a 3-2 victory Sunday.

Trailing 2-1 after Kader Keita's 89th-minute strike, Algeria stormed back. Madjid Bougherra's header knotted the score right before extra time, and 90th-minute-substitute Hameur Bouazza netted the game-winner to eliminate the Elephants.

In Sunday's other quarterfinal, Ghana knocked out tournament-host Angola, 1-0.

Egypt and Cameroon are level at 1-1 at halftime of one of Monday's other quarterfinal games. Zambia and Nigeria will kick off later in the day.

—————–

What do you make of the Cabanas shooting? Think Arena belongs in the Hall of Fame? Starting to get a second impression of Algeria?

This entry was posted in Mexican Soccer, National Soccer Hall of Fame, South American Soccer. Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to Mid-Day Ticker: Paraguayan striker shot; Arena makes Hall of Fame and more

1. madmax says:

avi, change headline to Arena

2. madmax says:

Algeria was always a good squad, those who thought not were mistaken.

3. Andolini says:

The defending by Ivory Coast at the end of the game vs. Algeria looked like they threw the game. Seriously.

4. Rory says:

Wouldn’t be the first thrown game at the ACN according to Declain Hill.

5. Aguinaga says:

Absolutely unbelievable. One of the best strikers in the world imo, so underrated. Heart goes out to Paraguay and America. What in the world is going on with players being shot this World Cup year?? Just sickening.

6. William Franklin says:

any news on the Redbulls training in La Manga?

7. Jason says:

I hoping and praying Salvador makes a recovery.

8. Michael Vann says:

Cabanas is one helluva player. Rumors were swirling that he was headed to Europe. I think several Premier League teams (Sunderland, Spurs) had him on their wish list. My heart goes out to his family, Club America, and Paraguay. This was a senseless act. A cowardly act.

9. Isaac says:

SC10 and CD9 will be both okay.

10. matt dillon says:

Cabanas is a very interesting player. He looks tubby — even has a belly on him — but he scores and scores. I pray for him.

As for Algeria, I’ve been watching their players in Europe very closely and am impressed. Yes, Ivorian marking was poor on the tying and go-ahead goals, but the crosses into the box for Algeria are good. USA will need to cut off service from the midfield when possible and control the air when crosses do come in.

Funny thing is all three Algeria goals vs Cote d’Ivoire were scored by guys born in France.

11. gel says:

My heart goes out to Cabanas and his family.When is the violence in Mexico gonna be stopped.Im Mexican and I am ashamed of the way things happen in Mexico.Unbelievable!!!!

12. DC Josh says:

Hopefully everyone doesn’t underestimate Algeria or any World Cup opponent. Gotta pray for Cabanas and his family.

13. Erik says:

I got to see Cabana’s when Club America played Milan here in Atlanta.

It’s time Mexico man up and crack down on their huge violence problem.

14. kpugs says:

1-1 vs. CSKA Moscow at halftime last I heard.

15. kpugs says:

Arenas deserves the honor, as much as I enjoy making fun of his speaking voice. Good for him.

16. fischy says:

What’s with people being shot this year, and every year?

17. fischy says:

Pretty hard to underestimate Algeria at this point.

18. fischy says:

You got to see Cabana’s what?

19. Katatonia says:

agree about Cabanas. only really watched him when America played in the Libertadores, but he had some serious talent. if he lost some weight he could probably be a force in Europe’s best leagues.

20. Erik says:

Smartass.

21. Erik says:

Totally agree – he’s done more for US soccer than anyone else.

22. fischy says:

You really enjoy making fun of Bruce Arena’s speaking voice, huh? You must be a huge nerd…

23. Steve C says:

Egypt vs. Algeria in the final! I remember something about there being a lil bit of bad blood between these 2? =D

24. John1 says:

This is really terrible new about CabaƱas. As for Algeria, no second impression. The U.S. should win… end of story. The U.S. will not underestimate any team in the World Cup.

25. Erik says:

It just shows how poor the African teams really are. I don’t expect much from Africa this World Cup.

26. john.q says:

Ive’s, stop teasing us! put up the Davies article already i’m about to crap myself.

27. Josh D says:

Prayers go out to the striker and his family. Sickening act…

Algeria are a team lacking pure skill but has enough heart and determination to damage any team.

I would LOVE to see Egypt and Algeria in the finals. The atmosphere would me intense. However, it may get rather violent which wouldn’t do the tournament any help…

28. Adam says:

Ug. I was a fan of Cabanas and really admired his play. I hope he makes a full recovery.

29. Jose S. says:

Egypt winning 3-1 in ET, if result holds

It’s Egypt v Algeria in the semifinals

30. El Michael says:

ditto

31. DJ Barnett says:

AGREED!!!I am seriously checking ESPN every 15 minutes waiting for the article!!!

32. El Michael says:

Saw this on Big Soccer. FWIW

Latest on Charlie’s recovery:

For those wondering about Friday’s mystery USMNT tweet. What I saw was back-to-back running sessions by Oguchi Onyewu and Charlie Davies.

As for Davies, his recovery to this point can be best described as amazing. Look for my ESPN.com story detailing it all later on today.

“Once I’m on the field, I feel bad for defenders who are going to have to defend me.”– Charlie Davies

Should be in an ESPN Soccernet piece later today.

33. grubbsbl says:

Anyone who is now on the Algeria boat is funny. The Ivory Coast defending could have been the worst I have seen. The good news is US is actually good at marking on crosses.

Also, Algeria’s defending is also comical. Yes, we can’t take them lightly, you can’t take any team lightly, but US should win.

I need this ESPN story now……

34. Aaron in StL says:

This comes directly from the sidebar of this very website. Look to the right…

35. El Michael says:

That’s good to know thanks…

36. Aguinaga says:

True. Glad to leave it to you to comment on here everytime anyone anywhere gets shot. Me, I’ll stick to the topic, thanks.

37. OmarVizquel says:

The Algeria ‘keeper was on the ground — writhing in “pain” — on and off, for a total of probably 10 minutes during added time. The medics at one point completely wrapped his stomach in an ACE bandage, then a minute later he said he was fine and they undid it.

I never know whether to laugh or cry at the absurdity of this stuff.

38. Andrew says:

This kind of stuff gets so old to watch. The people that call it gamesmanship are so full of crap.

39. patrick says:

Article on Davies is up on ESPN and goddamn, if its even half accurate, I’m impressed with chuck D

40. Spectra says:

wow charlie davies

I need to do better with my life after reading Ives article.

41. Spectra says:

a new rule should come in stating that if you’re down for more than 2 minutes that you half to stay off for five and if you need a stretcher you can’t return to the game.

42. wildchild says:

I live in Puebla, Mexico. My friend heard on the news that they wanted to rob him in the bathroom, and well, he didn’t want to give up his wallet. so they shot him.

if you are ever in this situation, just give them the wallet. life is so precious.

peace

43. Dominghosa says:

Prayers out to Cabanas and his family. Love how that guy plays the game.

44. gas huffer says:

Sadly, Cabanas has passed away from his injury.

45. Ted Decker says:

where did you hear that?

46. einar says:

I hope cabanas lives. a true talent and best player of club america. would this have to do with mexican mafia? and that he was trying to go to europe?

47. aristotle says:

So neither of you guys were in the group that relentlessly attacked and ridiculed Arena (which seemed to include virtually everybody) for at least a couple of years after he dared to not advance to the second round of the World Cup?

I remember it well because I was practically the only person defending Arena at the time, which brought me nothing but abuse and people telling me how stupid I was.

48. Jorge says:

Doctors held a press conference to update the media on Salvador’s condition. The doctors were unable to remove the bullet which is lodged in the back of Salvador’s brain. According to the chief doctor, removal of the bullet would do more damage than leaving it there.

49. gas huffer says:

Breaking news on G O A L dot com. It was taken down immediately, I posted too soon. I hope he pulls through.

50. Tetsuo54 says:

Most people over estimate both Algeria and Ivory Coast. Algeria can not defend well and has some difficulty trying to pass up to the forwards and the Ivory Coast supposedly the first African team that will make the semis has the 2nd worst defense of all the African teams that made it

51. Tetsuo54 says:

What I heard happened was that they didnt like the way he player their 2nd to last game when America lost.

52. DadRyan says:

dude, you’re like turning into the DadRyan of SBI bro…