Holden (Reuters)

By TRAVIS CLARK

Speculation has been rampant this past week about Stuart Holden's future. Reports that Bolton had passed on signing the Houston midfielder circulated — however, news from Houston and the UK still link the 24-year-old with a move to the Wanderers.

No official announcement has been made and even the mainstream British press has yet to pick up on the newest link. Whatever the case, it's only a matter of time before Holden lands a deal, with Owen Coyle's side still in the hunt.

As for Houston, training camp is fast approaching and Dominic Kinnear will need to rebuild a midfield that has lost two starters from last season with Ricardo Clark's move to Germany.

Here are a few more stories for Friday:

HOUSTON ACQUIRE HARMSE

Kinnear's first move to bolster his midfield is the addition of Kevin Harmse from Chivas USA. The Dynamo acquired the rights to Harmse in exchange for a conditional draft pick (either third or fourth round) in 2012.

Harmse will join the club for preseason, though it appears he'll have to secure a contract with the club — Houston would be his fourth MLS club — he made 12 appearances for Toronto in 2009, but never featured for Chivas after joining the Goats in June.

UNION ADD DELLACAMERA FOR PLAY-BY-PLAY

Philadelphia Union added another big name off the pitch, as they revealed that announcing and play-by-play duties will be handled by ESPN announcer J.P. Dellacamera. Soccer fans in the area will hear a familiar voice, as Dellacamera will call Union games while maintaining his game of the week duties for ESPN2.

——-

Where will Holden end up? Is Bolton the place? Will Harmse make the squad in Houston and help their midfield? Glad to see the Union add Dellacamera?

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad, Major League Soccer, MLS- Houston Dynamo, MLS- Philadelphia Union. Bookmark the permalink.

75 Responses to Friday Kickoff: Holden to Bolton rumors persist, Harmse dealt to Houston and more

1. OmarVizquel says:

Remember those leaked USA Nike jersey photos from last year, with the strange, pale, gray-blue sash? Seem to be correct. They’re popping up on Ebay. Get ready for the Mr. America Pageant 2010!

2. art says:

Harmse probably isn’t going to help Houston.

3. south says:

Bolton secured a loan of Vladimir Weiss today, not sure what effect that has for Holden’s situation, but Weiss is a tricky young winger from Manchester City.

4. MVK says:

Do people like Dellacamera; I am not a big fan but I am not sure if its just me or if others dont like him as well?

5. Manny F says:

Just you.

6. MVK says:

good to know, thanks

7. Chopper says:

Link?

8. pd says:

Hate him. He has the most boring goal calls I have ever heard. Also knows very little about the international game.

9. Chopper says:

I’ve never really liked him much but I’m not a Union fan so it doesn’t matter a bit to me. Good for him though for making some more $$.

10. OC says:

Don’t be a jerk Manny. I hate JP. He is just like Alexi Lallas, these guys opine about our team like they could suit up right now and still be better than our players. I get annoyed when I hear his voice, glad I’m not from Philly

11. Father of Francesca says:

I was excited when I started to read that because ai thought maybe ESPN gave him the boot. You’d think after so many years at calling the game he’d be more in tune with it. It’s amazing when he says something completely rediculous and there’s just dead silence from Harkes (or Wynalda for that matter). It’s so bad it’s like a comedy act. and don’t get me started on Harkes (whiny small b@tch).

12. assocfoot says:

I’m in the pro-Dellacamera camp. I think he is good, but not great, and I don’t need someone shouting gooooooooaaaaalllllll or whatever to enjoy a soccer broadcast. Philly fans are fortunate to have a decent announcer for local TV.

13. jjraines says:

Still do not get the Bolton move.

I don’t think people realize how talented their midfield is. There are about 6 other places in the Premier League alone I think he’d be in a better situation.

14. Sammy Gupta says:

I’m still surprised that they have yet to be officially released. Nike seems to be waiting on the release of its kits while Adidas and Puma have already released their world cup kits.

Hurry Up Nike!!! I need to buy my world cup jerseys!!!! Dont know if I’m a big fan of the design, but I will buy them and proudly wear them regardless.

15. Covert says:

I greatly pref JP to a great many other commentators in the US. Balboa is awful, Lalas is awful, Glenn Davis is the worst especially when paired with Balboa. My favorite combo was probably Rob Stone and Wynalda but JP w/ Harkes comes in second. Face it, in the US the options are somewhat limited.

16. Matt says:

Agreed. People assume that their bottom of the table status is a reflection of their entire squad, but it is mainly the defense (Zat Knight, Jlloyd Samuel) that have ruined things. Ricardo Gardner still contributes when given the chance (when he is healthy) and he is a reserve. How Holden would fit into the mix is beyond me. I would say that a win tomorrow in the FA Cup would increase the apparent need for Holden, but beyond that, no idea.

17. gerald says:

Sorry JP is way better than Alexi

18. johnnyrafer says:

I agree with the above comment. I also think he somehow gives the games he commentates a certain level of importance and respectability. I like the Dellacamera/Smyth pairing best.

19. gerald says:

Totally agree

20. pd says:

I think Phil Schoen is the best American soccer broadcast. He provides a lot emotion and knowledge to the game without going overboard.

21. Paul says:

I think we can rule a Bolton move out with the signing of Weiss from Manchester City. How about a short term deal with Portsmouth our a Championship side. I know he is solid but has never wowed me. Looked good in Gold Cup but I think that may have been big fish in small pond syndrome.

22. fischy says:

Off-topic:

“Germany head coach Joachim Low has confirmed that veteran midfielder Torsten Frings will not be part of his squad for the World Cup finals in South Africa this summer.”

Who’s going to get away with a blatant foul to defeat the USA this year?

23. Aaron in StL says:

Well if you read the link, it’s saying they’re making a double-swoop for Stu and Weiss. Probably not the best for Holden that another wide player is coming in at the exact same time…doesn’t improve his odds.

Hopefully he makes a good showing…if he does see time at the WC that will be a huge platform as he’ll be free again.

24. fischy says:

I’m sure the feelings are mutual. At least, they would be if he knew who you are.

25. fischy says:

“these guys opine about our team like they could suit up right now and still be better than our players”

Exactly how would that make him any different than everybody on this blog? You must be a self-hater…

26. Ghost of Clint Dempsey says:

Lucky that Holden can play all the mid positions well. Only way he has a shot at getting PT with the signing of Weiss.

He may show better than Weiss but I doubt it

27. Shovel says:

I would like to see Dellacamera get partnered with Ray Hudson but that’s just me.

28. Erik says:

But when you look at the guy all soccer credibility goes out the window. That dude has never kicked a ball I bet.

29. Chad says:

They look atrocious.

30. Aaron in StL says:

What are the alternates going to be this year? Red? Blue? Or that graphite color?

31. OmarVizquel says:

Nike always releases in February of a World Cup year. Nothing new here.

32. sean says:

Dellacamera is annoying. It is amazing that he seems so clueless about soccer despite announcing games for so many years. I wish ESPN would fire him. Saying he is better than Balboa and Lalas is not an endorsement of his abilities as much as it is a condemnation of how disastrously awful those two are.

33. OmarVizquel says:

It really is a lackluster shirt, especially for a World Cup. The pale sash is barely visible, and so it’ll look like our Nats are wearing 5 dollar plain white t-shirts. What a let-down. The only hint of red is the tiny bit in the badge…..aren’t we the Red, White, and Blue? Really embarrassing from Nike.

34. Rory says:

That’s because Nike is a basketball company pretending to be a soccer company. We’re lucky they’re not sleeveless with shorts that come down to mid-ankle.

Although anything would be better then the like pink stripes and general look of a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt.

35. Rory says:

You only like him because he’s your cousin. The rest hate him.

36. Limo says:

They’re meant to be throwbacks to the 1950 WC jerseys. Honestly I don’t think they’re thaaat bad. and itll be cool thinkin back to that famous last US-England World Cup match when our boys step on the pitch in June

link to onionbag.com

37. OmarVizquel says:

I know they’re throwbacks to 1950, but I also know that the USA lost the other two games in their group, finished dead last, and didn’t advance to the second round. Not the best thing to be throwing back to, to be honest…..

38. Sam says:

Dellacamera is just a mediocre announcer. Nothing really bad about him, he just doesn’t provide any spark. Say what you want about Wynalda, at least he put himself out there. He may not be the friendliest fellow, but he wasn’t afraid to say what was on his mind. I agree with the other posters that Rob Stone has got something, but I’d like to have a real “personality” type providing some commentating (Barkley-esque). Side note, is it just me or does Allen Hopkins appear to be nervous every time he gets on camera?

39. Charles says:

That stinks that Holden is leaving. I wish him and luck and hope he makes bank.

The Sounders are not bringing back their announcer, a local hero, one of the best pure announcers ever, but new to soccer.

My guess is they need a boring British guy, who thinks his jokes and one liners about the game are witty, to appease the hard-core guys, who unlike me call it a match.

40. Pat says:

Save!!!! Sobieski!

41. Matt says:

Portsmouth can’t even pay the players they have currently.

42. otergod says:

these are the same complaints i recall from the current batch of jersies. When the pin-stripe and slate grey came out people were horrified. However, over time they turned out to quite like them.

i cant wait to get the Red alt. Though just rumored, its about time they have one

43. reverb says:

A statement completely devoid of merit, meaning and understanding. A hat-trick, bravo ace.

44. reverb says:

You’re definitely on a tear today aren’t you…? They actually get paid extremely well for their opinions to be widely broadcast, while we here on this blog pay (for the most part) to give ours in a very limited way. A difference which clearly you do not see.

45. Mingjai says:

Here’s a leaked Nike Dutch clash kit, which I think looks pretty nice.

link to footballshirtculture.com

46. OC says:

We here on this blog (for the most part) don’t read and post because we think we are better than the players we follow. I actually am certain that Connor Casey (as low as my opinion is of him) could start as a forward on my intramural team WELL ahead of me. I fully recognize the talent these guys have. I read and post on this blog because it happens to be one of the most excellent soccer blogs on the web, especially for those following US soccer.

Lallas and JP, when I watch the games they commentate, are VERY quick to suggest what a player should have done better, what he’s doing wrong, and why he isn’t successful. The guys on Fox Soccer, Fox Sports en Espanol, etc. are not like this. Yes, every announcer will comment once in a while on a bad pass or poor attempt when it is due, but I feel that JP has a certain arrogance about his commentary, most notably when he is broadcasting USMNT games.

A commentator that gives off a noticeable sense of arrogance or seems to undermine those players he is commentating on, in my opinion, is a poor commentator.

And his voice sucks.

47. Edwin says:

I’d like to know what exactly do you think is so bad about Glenn Davis?

The few games I’ve seen him on ESPN, he’s been great!

I didn’t get to see the US vs Guatemala game in 08 but that’s about it, I’ve watched most of them.

When he does Dynamo games, he brings a lot of enthusiasm and doesn’t just say crap that is of his personal opinion, which is more than I can say for Harkes or Balboa and even Wynalda

48. Dclark0 says:

As a Bolton fan I would disagree…in the last two games vs. Arsenal Coyle was forced to bring McCann in as a sub, who is a hard worker but offers very little in terms of skill. Muamba is strong and athletic but again, nothing to give in attack. Cohen is decent but unspectacular, Taylor is out of form, Mark Davies showed something Wednesday until William Gallas decided to go in studs up on him, resulting in a bad ankle injury that will keep him out for a while. There’s no doubt in my mind that while we look set on the wings (Gardner, Lee, Taylor will probably keep his place, and now Weiss) we need center midfield help desperately. I wouldn’t be surprised if Holden started featuring on the bench in Mark Davies’ place right away.

49. Big Chil says:

Those are ugly.

50. Brian says:

I kinda like the white one. Blue one isn’t too bad. The red one is just ridiculous.

51. Brian says:

ehh second thought. The blue one isn’t dark enough.

52. Richard says:

So JP couldn’t do the Red Bulls games and the ESPN games, but now all of a sudden he can do Philly and ESPN games??? Bull.sh*t.

53. jig says:

I’ve never heard JP criticize a player before. Maybe ask the color guy what went wrong in a certain move, but never criticize the player himself. Play by play guys dont do that, the color guys do. jp isnt a color guy, lalas is. nothing wrong with that.

bottom line, though, everyone sucks. all the american guys, not a single one of them adds to the atmosphere of the game. Maybe Rob Stone, but that’s it. Schoen, O’Brian, Bretos, Edwards, JP, whoever, it’s all the same garbage.

54. Limo says:

don’t hate man, that was one of the biggest games in World Cup history, not just US Soccer history

55. chris says:

JP is great. Great Voice. Seems nice.

56. Mingjai says:

It’s too bad Doc Emrick doesn’t do soccer matches–he’s great for hockey.

57. Emerald_City_Jason says:

I wore Nike shoulder pads in high school for American football. Nike is a sporting goods company, not a basketball company.

58. Carl says:

I like the new jersey.

59. inkedAG says:

I miss the JP Dellacamera/Shep Messing combo we had in NYC.

60. inkedAG says:

Much better than the grey monstrosity we have going on and the Pinstripe one we sport.

61. Deadduck says:

That makes Holden’s chances for Bolton a lot worse. Weiss is a much better player

62. kfly says:

JP also did the Hockey World Junior Championships on NHL Network. He knows a lot about sports! I think he slipped up and used a soccer term once or twice, but otherwise, you wouldn’t be able to distinguish him from any other hockey play-by-play guy, other than the fact that he’s better than most (a high compliment, considering the exceptional quality of most hockey broadcasters with the notable exception of the Bruins’ guys).

63. Joamiq says:

I’m a fan. He’s knowledgeable and professional.

64. Joamiq says:

Agreed. That was a great combo.

65. Joamiq says:

Obviously the internet is not the most trustworthy source, but I’ve seen things saying Bolton is about to announce a deal for Holden through the end of the season.

66. RamosForLife says:

Houston’s COO went on the local news and said Stu was leaving last night…that’s a much better source then everytime SBI cites the Daily Mirror as “Report: …..”

67. Yeisi says:

De La Garza shut this man down

68. roysterer says:

JP Dellacamera is a terrible, terrible soccer commentator. I’m glad I’m a Revs fan, so I get to watch plenty of Dellacamera-free matches.

69. Tyler Walter says:

Same here, we probably won’t know unless it changes on a club’s website. Right now, on the Houston Dynamo’s website, it still says that Holden is on their roster.

I haven’t seen anything about Holden coming or going from any news source from Greater Manchester or Greater Houston.

70. A.J. says:

I would like to see Holden get a deal with Bolton playing in the EPL could get him some valuable experience. The new nike USMNT jerseys are average I would prefer adidas better.

71. OC says:

A slight revision:

John Harkes is actually the guy that I hate. JP is always working games with him so I confuse the 2. I apologize for the confusion; I actually consider JP to be average to above average as far as commentators I have heard. As long as he’s not working with Harkes, Philly will be okay…