Rongen releases roster for U-20 camp

Jack McInerney 1 (ISIphotos)

photo by ISIphotos.com

by FRANCO PANIZO

Jack McInerney, Stefan Jerome and Luis Gil headline the U-20 national team roster released by head coach Thomas Rongen for the first U-20 camp of the 2011 cycle.

The roster also includes defender Gale Agbossomounde and midfielder Dillon Powers, both of whom played in the U-20 World Cup in Egypt earlier this year. Midfielder Sebastian Lletget, who missed out on the U-17 World Cup in Nigeria back in the fall, was also called up.

The camp will be held in Chula Vista, California and will run from Dec. 16 to Dec. 23.

Here is the full roster:

GOALKEEPERS: Earl Edwards (Nomads SC), Justin Luthy (Boston College), Spencer Richey (Crossfire Premier)

DEFENDERS: Gale Agbossoumonde (Miami FC), Paolo Del Piccolo (Louisville), Moises Hernandez (FC Dallas Juniors), Zachary Herold (West Pines United), Perry Kitchen (Chicago Magic), Tyler Polak (CSA Legacy), Kofi Sarkodie (Akron), Zarek Valentin (Akron), Jared Watts (North Meck SC; Statesville, N.C.), Ethan White (Maryland), Cesar Zamora (Chivas USA), Eriq Zavaleta (FC Pride)

MIDFIELDERS: Jose Altamirano (San Diego State), Christian Castaneda (Hertha Berlin), Marlon Duran (Latino Americana), Luis Gil (Pateadores), Sebastian Lletget (West Ham United), Andrew Lubahn (Wake Forest), Carlos Martinez (Wilmington Jrs.), Colin Murphy (Boston College), Amobi Okugo (UCLA), Will Packwood (Birmingham City), Nicholas Palodichuk (Washington Premier FC), Fabrice Picault (Cagliari Calcio), Dillon Powers (Notre Dame)

FORWARDS: Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Will Bates (Virginia), Tristan Bowen (Los Angeles Galaxy), Victor Chavez (Real So Cal), Ryan Finley (Duke), Stefan Jerome (West Pines United), Jack McInerney (Cobb SC), Dominick Sarle (BW Gottschee)

What do you think of this roster? Surprised by anyone's inclusion? Anyone else you would have like to seen called up?

This entry was posted in U.S. Youth National Teams, USA Youth Soccer. Bookmark the permalink.

85 Responses to Rongen releases roster for U-20 camp

1. Timmy says:

With the invitation of Lletget, hopefully everyone will breathe a temporary sigh of relief?

Does anyone know anything about Castaneda (at Hertha?)?

2. Lee says:

Ah good Picault from Cagliari was called in.

3. Tetsuo says:

Renken still Injured huh too bad but I see cant wait to see how well Luis Gil will start to mature as a player.I bet we can do well next U-20 World cup

4. AJ says:

Is Renken still injured?

5. J mann says:

Tyler Polak is a good left back prospect. Sebastian Lletget reminds me of Robin Van Persie for some reason.

6. dena says:

Will these lads play any games, or is this just a training session?

7. Felix says:

How does Rongen still have a job……

8. Aaron in StL says:

Is there any assurance he’ll except (Lletget)? I don’t really know enough about the kid to even know if he’s worth the hassle.

9. jonk says:

I would have really liked to see Cabrera graduate up to the U-20s and find someone new to take over the U-17s…but maybe it’ll be better to have Cabrera developing the youngest possible players.

10. Tetsuo says:

Wait where is Gyau or Alex Molano we dont need Chavez or Powers switch them!

11. Timmy says:

My read is that this is the list of attendees, not the list of the invitees. I have never seen ussoccer.com publish a preliminary list.

12. Next to mi casa. I will be there with a “FIRE RONGEN” sign! He sucks!

13. Lorenzo says:

Where is Justin Irias?

14. john godfrey says:

I think captions on photos are always a good idea.

15. Yossarian says:

At first glance, the team looks pretty weak. If the headliners are 3 guys from the U-17 team that did not look very good in the recent cup, doesn’t that bode ill? There’s no one in the 18-20 range that’s better?

16. jonk says:

Rather, who is Justin Irias? A cursory google search suggests a freshman high school kid in Ohio. Should we be more familiar with him? Even if he was an amazing diamond in the rough, probably a bit too young.

17. fischy says:

I’m hoping he doesn’t “except”. However, if he accepts the invitation (and, I”m assuming he already did, or else his name would not have been released), I’ll be quite pleased.

Not sure what hassle you mean. Calling him to ask if he’s interested?

18. fischy says:

Speaking of Van Persie — I got a kick out of reading the description on Verizon’s channel guide for the Arsenal-Liverpool match. Someone wanted to do more than just list the teams and stadium for once — I guess to show off. So, there’s mention there of how Torres will hope to help Liverpool regain form after disappointment in Champions League — but, the description starts out by saying “Arsenal striker Robin Van Persie”…. I guess the writer didn’t know he’s had ankle ligament surgery.

19. fischy says:

Interesting question….

I saw Roengen a couple of days after the failure in Egypt. Really wanted to ask him about that….

20. ahm says:

i was as unimpressed with the U-20′s and Rongen as everyone else but after watching th U-17 tournament I’m really perplexed at the infatuation with Cabrera. I’m not calling for his head or anything but I didn’t see anything from his team (besides Luis Gil having a few moments of trickery) that made me recognize him as a vastly superior coach to Rongen or even Bradley which I had heard before the U-17 world cup. I’m NOT trying to sully the guy, as I’m not familiar enough with all of his work to make a real evaluation of the guy, but I do want to know (this is not sarcastic) what other work he’s done that has given him a level of respect above Rongen (for most) and for Bradley (a very select few)

21. fischy says:

Mostly, I’m surprised that there is a U20 camp. When’s the next U20 Cup? It’s a curious assemblage. Some good young players, and some who will be too old to play in the next round….

22. fischy says:

He was a better player. For a foreign country that doesn’t really do any better than we do in international competitions.

23. fischy says:

Welcome back, Sebastien.

24. JavaLavaJoe says:

I find the youth camps to be a good yardstick to measure MLS youth academies. No one from DC UTD & Fire? Two academies that are said to take a more serious approach.

It will probably be years before we see more MLS developed players compared to the traditional youth clubs and college teams.

25. assocfoot says:

Fischy and Yossarian,

From US Soccer:

“The camp is the first for Rongen that is made up exclusively of players born in 1991 or later, making them age-eligible for the 2011 FIFA U-20 World Cup. ”

just like the U17 tournament the US just played – actually all guys eligible for U17′s in 2011. Early prep, a chance to see some guys play, not a big deal, IMO.

For those wanting to fire Rongen because of this (as opposed to his previous transgressions that have you all fired up), get a life. It’s an early camp which says very little about who will be on the U20 team in 2 years.

26. RLW2020 says:

where is freddy adu??.. Joking!.. but kind of not…

27. Jules says:

On Charles Renken; It doesn’t bode well for him that he’s constantly injured at such a young age. One of the reasons Preki was around for so long was that he was almost always healthy. I hope he doesn’t become another John O’Brien.

28. fischy says:

My bad — I thought Gale Agbossoumonde was older. If I’d known he was a 17 yr. old kid, I would have been less harsh in assessing his play for the last edition of hte U20s.

29. fischy says:

Having 2 ACL tears and surgical repairs doesn’t bode well for anyone, regardless of age. In this case, his youth is on his side….

30. Lorenzo says:

Kind of crazy actually. Son of a honduran immigrant father and amish mother. talk about having a diverse pool of players.

Awsome player. Unreal for a freshman, but you never know what is going to happen.

31. fischy says:

I’d still like to see Gyau included. I wasn’t impressed with our strikers in Nigeria.

I think our defense should be stellar, and I think Edwards has lots of potential in goal. The midfield could be another strength with Gil, Duran, Powers, Palodichuk, joined by Lletget and Picault. However, this team will still struggle to score, unless the strikers really make a big step-up in the level of their play. By all accounts, Gyau has the goods…

32. Sonicdeathmonkey says:

In fact, he only missed out being age eligible for the U-17′s by a month or so. He is a child in a man’s body.

33. M says:

Gale what? That’s a ridiculous name. Can’t he just shorten it to Monde or Boss

34. Isaac says:

Like a boss

35. M says:

Ok, stupid question. Are the U-20′s actually playing any friendlies after this camp?

36. DC Josh says:

I’m glad WILL PACKWOOD made the squad. He’s a midlands boy who really packs heat.

37. otergod says:

agreed, this kid has his head on straight. Hopefully he continues to impress and grow at Cagliari

38. otergod says:

lol, wow, are you really asking this so early in the cycle??

you do not focus on current 19-20 yr olds at this point b/c they wont be available come U20′s.

this squad looks quite impressive, dont know if you actually follow youth nats

39. otergod says:

Rongen has to evaluate talent from all across the world. 2011 is the next WC, so he’s got less then 2 yrs to figure out who is the best U20′s and figure out who has the best chemistry together.

40. otergod says:

it is early in the cycle.

on top of that there has been a couple fire players brought into the U17′s over the past couple months…

either way the academies are young and will take some time before they can truly develop young professionals. Though NJRB and FCD have proven this false. Perhaps they are better at scouting talent

41. otergod says:

true, since he’s young he’s more likely to heal quicker, but it was truly unfortunate he’s been so injured. Once healthy im sure we’ll see more of this kid. He’s quite the talent and loads are rather high on him

42. otergod says:

im glad he was brought… i would have like it if he got some time with the U17′s, but glad to see he’s getting some looks at the U20′s so early…

43. Marlon says:

Because he managed a US team that played the prettiest football people who have ever seen a US team play.

44. madmax says:

Rongen and Sunil both cruelly blamed the US players for the results. Paraphrase, they the US players can’t compete with the big soccer nations. They made this comment before big soccer nations Korea, and Switzerland kicked some butt.

Why would you want this man coaching our youth?

45. madmax says:

It is terribly sad for the players that Rongen is still in charge. See earlier comment.

46. Cyrus says:

This is just the beginning of the cycle. I’m sure they’ll get looks.

47. einar says:

well colombians are usually good tacticianists as coaches. rongen is dutch but americanized which is y he sucks.

48. j says:

he’s not well known but erik benjaminson (17) from stabaek would have been a good call-up

49. gmonsoon43 says:

It’s nice to see some players that are attached to pro clubs. Hopefully that number continues to grow.

50. Gary says:

I second that!
    The problem is there is no scrutiny by the American press in soccer. So everything is fine. Even the fans don’t get pissed off!

51. Gary says:

Although the Columbians and the US haven’t had great success in international competitions … Columbia has produced world class players!
    The US is yet to produce a single one.

In addition, Columbia’s style of play (one of possession), is what the US desperately needs to incorporate.

If we aspire to get to the next level, we cannot continue with the same flawed philosophy of “GO FORWARD, GO FORWARD, GO FORWARD”.

This mentality permeates at all levels from our youth clubs, to college, MLS, and the National Team.

52. Gary says:

There are plenty that are better!

Unfortunately the US mentality of what is an elite player is severely flawed. We have really bad judgement when it comes to assessing Soccer IQ and Technical Ability – usually allocating too large a focus on size, speed, and strength.

53. Gary says:

Actually these lists say a lot about who will be in the U-20 World Cup.

If you look at National Team camp participants over the years, it’s predominantly the same guys over and over again.

54. ahm says:

what team?

55. ahm says:

so we’re supposed to like him because he’s colombian or is there an actual reason not based on nationality?

56. Gary says:

There are only 4 players on this list that I know have quality.
    1) Amobi Okugo
    2) Marlon Duran (probably 2nd string D-mid to Okugo)
    3) Luis Gil
    4) Jose Altamirano (Although his game seems to be stagnating)

Everyone else on the list can not help internationally.

Players that have not been in “the system” and should without a doubt be on the squad …

1) Carlos Alvarez (UCONN)
    - He is an absolute baller! Tremendous Soccer IQ and Technical Quality. Can play striker or midfielder. Was the Big East rookie of the year & selected National Rookie 1st team (top drawer soccer).

2) Jonathan Prieto (UCI)
    - Offensive creative midfielder (left footed). I have not seen another 91 who comes close to his vision, creativity, elusiveness, and overall understanding of the game. This is what our National Teams need – A True Number 10. Selected National Rookie 2nd team (top drawer soccer).

57. wichin says:

Where is Felix Garcia? Did he fall off the map? More info on his houston situation would be great

58. M says:

Uhh, Sebastian Lletget is probably the BEST player in this camp. He was offered a place in the West Ham Academy when he was 13 years old. The guy is like a Zidane clone in the midfield.

59. Mike says:

All college players and very good, but probably not in the same class as LLetget, Gil and Gale A

60. FK Pirin says:

What about Joseph Gyau and Charles Renken? Do we know if they are not interested in playing for the US or had a falling out with US Soccer after moving to Hoffenheim?

61. fischy says:

Of course, everyone is entitled to an opinion. For me — based on what little I have seen of these guys — Gil and Polak are the top players on the team. Duran looked good, too. As for “helping internationally” — they are 17 and 18 year old kids. Give ‘em time.

62. HUC says:

Why is this camp in Chula Vista and not at the HDC?!

63. J mann says:

There is no way this kid could ever be called into any youth camp. The WCAL is a bad league. The only way he can make it as a pro is through college. I’ll have to come watch him play sometime next year though.

64. Matt Y says:

Why is Rongren still the coach? That’s all I care about….why???? Apparently results don’t matter…

65. Sean M says:

Im friends with Fafa Picault,dude is modest and a hard worker,hes very mature for his age,he has a chance to be something.

66. AdamTheRed says:

Maybe its just me but it feels like every year our player pool becomes deeper, perhaps we have reached the tipping point!

67. Lorenzo says:

He plays club at Cleveland United SC (not scouted by USSF right?)
    The coach there is the one who said he is a top 3 player in the state for his age range.

68. Josh D says:

How do you follow Youth Yanks not in college? I’m very impressed with a few of you who happen to know the u-17 boys beyond what we’ve seen on FSC.

Saw that team play a few times recently. Right winger by the name of Oliver stuck out for me the most although he easily falls out of the game too often.

69. otergod says:

only spoken to him via msg once and got the same idea of the guy. Hopefully he continues to do well with Cagliari’s Primavera team and with the U20′s.

70. Rory says:

Is Mixie (Diskerud) at Stabaak in Norway too old now or is there another reason he’s not on the list? I’m worried since he said last summer he’d join whatever country called him up first and Norway has Euro qualifiers next year.

71. otergod says:

for the boys in europe (picault, Packwood and Lletget) Bigsoccer.com follows alot of them either on game day reports, articles, coaches quotes, fan of the team, etc…

very few people have seen these kids play on a regular basis. A lot of the talk is simply their hype or fans eagerness to latch onto the next big player.

Then you have accounts from people who actually go to brandenton to watch all the friendlies. Again, few have actually seen these kids play regularly.

72. Timmy says:

He is a 1990, so he’s too old.

73. M says:

If you watched the U-17 CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying, you would know that Lletget and Gil are two of the best players in the U.S. pool right now.

All the games are on CONCACAF’s Youtube channel. I would recommend you watch that. They’re vision, creativity, and touches are just amazing. I’ve never seen that from a U.S. Youth Team before. I think these kids will be the first true world class players the U.S. has ever produced.

74. Older & Wiser says:

Damn — That photo is just crying out for a “You Write the Caption” –

Thierry H’s got nuttin’ on me. I actually had a soccer ball grafted to my hand. Now I’ll never get called for a hand ball — wouldn’t be P.C.

75. madmax says:

A great mystery, and a tragedy for the young players.

76. LA soccer says:

What About Moises Hernandez what do You know about him.

77. otergod says:

these FCD kids keep popping up out of no where. FCD is clearly doing something well with their academy, b/c each camp U15-U20 we see FCD kids, and a lot of the time they are completely new names.

hopefully the rest of MLS take note and focus heavily on youth training

78. J mann says:

Now I want you to ask yourself how many people thought the same thing but never made it to the youth team.

The USSF doesn’t just pick players only out of Ohio. He could be the best player at his position in Ohio but possibly ten other guys across the nation even better at the same position. Just trying to put things into perspective.

I wish nothing but the best for Justin and hope he does make it.

79. JohnC says:

better at scouting talent or in hot beds for soccer- North Jersey has been a feeder for years and Dallas Texas is loaded with kids with soccer backgrounds. It is no surprise that these two teams have produced such quality talent- it will be the Revs, Columbus Crew, Kansas City and other teams in smaller population markets as well as less diverse that struggle to produce from their academy.

80. Gary says:

Well, I’m going to try to make the camp. So I’ll let you know my thoughts on Sebastian Lletget.

81. Gary says:

I’m sorry Mike, but you could not be more wrong …
    All college players are NOT very good! There is a tremendous amount of junk on the field!

I already know Gil has quality, Gale is ok, and I’ll be able to assess Lletget when I make the trek to Chula Vista.

82. Gary says:

Give them time? They already have and continue to represent the US internationally. The vast majority of the guys on the list are not on that level. They are not the best the US has to offer.

83. Gary says:

Like I mentioned above. There is no scrutiny by the American press when it comes to soccer. And much like the college game, there is no accountability for results.

84. OneSoccer says:

I have seen Picault play many times and I’m actually good friends with him. I believe he will surprise a lot of people at this camp. i’m waiting anxiously for the reviews of this camp!