Report: Greek club Aris Salonika eyeing Eddie Johnson

Eddie Johnson 1 (ISIphotos)

Eddie Johnson has played in just two league matches for Fulham since returning from a loan spell with Cardiff City earlier this year, and Johnson might find himself loaned out again this winter in order to find minutes, only this time he might move to Greece.

According to this report out of Greece, Johnson is being tracked by Greek club Aris Salonika. Aris, which currently sits in 5th place of the Greek League, is hoping to land Johnson to boost an offense that is averaging just a goal a game through its first 15 matches.

The only road block to Johnson's possible move is that the club must first release Uruguayan international Sebastian Abreu in order to open up a foreign player roster spot.

The news of Johnson's potential move to Aris comes on the same day that U-20 national team midfielder Jared Jeffrey signed with Bundesliga club FSV Mainz from Club Brugge KV.

What do you think of Johnson potentially playing in Greece? Like the move as long as he gets playing time? Think Jeffrey to Mainz is a good fit?

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad. Bookmark the permalink.

72 Responses to Report: Greek club Aris Salonika eyeing Eddie Johnson

1. EDB says:

great move for EJ if it comes off. The league is much more his speed.

2. Spectra says:

Edu on the bench for Rangers. Beasley still out with the thigh injury. 3-0 rangers in the 40th. I’m sure we’ll see Edu in the second half then.

3. CapeCodFutbol says:

I hope Jeffrey works hard, earns a spot, and gives me another reason to watch the Bundesliga.

As for EJ, I’m more interested in news when he does something again, rather than worrying about where he might do it.

4. Petaluman says:

Good moves if each of them get playing time. The more yanks abroad that play the better!

5. Felix says:

They are going to release Abreu for EJ????? Isn’t Abreu supposed to be a good player for Uruguay and the first choice striker off the bench after Diego Forlan and Luis Suarez, and they are going to let him go for EJ….. EJ!?!?!?

6. LIUnited says:

Playing time. Every US player needs to play. It does not matter where: Greece, MLS, Championship, Serie B. If you are not playing for your club you need to find a club where you can play. I hope Eddie Johnson can move to Greece get some starts and knock in a few goals. If he can show some work ethic, and gain confidence then Fulham might bring him back, He could find happiness in Greece or he could move to another club and continue to grow. This is not just about Eddie Johnson but all US players need to play. I would rather be talking about Jemal Johnson tearing up League one than EJ on the bench.

7. J says:

Ives, how in the world do you interpret these links you put up in so many different languages?

(SBI-Google translator.)

8. Igor says:

Εντι Τζόνσον
    Enti Tzonson.

Love it.

9. Andy in Atlanta says:

I am sure that salary may have something to do with it… or even Abreu wanting to go home to Uruguay… EJ is not as bad as people think… not getting any real looks..been doing quite well for Fulhams reserves which is just as good as MLS…just not enough fixtures… I think he will play this weekend for Fulham in the FA cup..they want to showcase him…

10. Illmatic74 says:

I don’t know how he does it but on my computer google translates articles from different languages into English.

11. WonsanUnited says:

Aris has some of the best fans in the world:

link to youtube.com

12. LC says:

Google Translator

13. JayBoy says:

translate.google.com … it’s not perfect, but you can almost always get the general idea.

14. Goalscorer24 says:

A fine move if he gets to play!

15. Tony in Quakeland says:

E

is all that matters.

16. Roger says:

Eduardo Hurtado
    Stolen Edward

17. kpugs says:

I don’t really know what to think. I remember how awesome he used to be. But now I kind of feel like he’ll probably stink it up in Greece too.

18. James Thurber says:

Sounds like a good move for Eddie Johnson to me. He is so far down the pecking order at Fulham that he hardly sees time in cup competitions. Perhaps this will give him the fresh start his career so desperately needs (although I thought the same thing about Cardiff). Regardless, a move to a country like Greece with its rich history and warm climate will probably be beneficial to the Floridian.

19. dunbar says:

I like how jared jeffrey has made smart moves around Europe, like Michael Bradley. Hopefully, he will get playing time and develop into a great player.

20. jig says:

except jemal johnson is doing anything but tearing up league 1. 1 goal, 1 assist on the year according to the mk dons website. not that sick!

21. John says:

Yeah, you’re probably a better player evaluator than they are.

22. garbaggio says:

I share Felix’ skepticism. I haven’t seen much of Abreu since he left the Mexican league but I know he is still pretty important for Uruguay (I think he scored the goal that clinched their qualification to South Africa over the Ticos).

I hope Eddie Johnson can adapt to Greece if he goes but I think I remember him having a rough time adapting to a new club more recently – and Greece might be a bigger adjustment.

23. anon says:

well, it’s all greek to me!

:rim shot:

thank you, i’ll be here all week, don’t forget to tip your waitress.

24. fenel says:

Why would Abreu leave River Plate to go play in Greece? The guy is a goal scoring machine. Hope EJ gets playing time.

25. Toumba says:

Aris really needs a scorer. Abreau never adjusted to Greece and carries a heavy salary. If you called the other Aris strikers inconsistent it would be a compliment. Since I am a PAOK fan I hope that Eddie scores 3 goals a game for Aris…and that they lose all those games 3-4. PAOK pano apo ola!

26. tim from texas says:

No Short Corners is reporting Jeremiah White has signed with a Qatari club.

There goes any chances of him seeing a call up anytime soon. But to be fair, from recent comments and comments of old, he’s felt slighted by Bob Bradley for a long, long time.

27. Brian says:

What an effing joke

28. Andy says:

The G.A.M. just needs to get in the GAME.

29. Brian says:

all Jeremiah is seeing is $$$$$$

30. WonsanUnited says:

Qatar has one of the best leagues in Asia. It’s probably on par with the Eredivisie.

31. wilyboy says:

Sh… Aris Salonika might hear us! :)

32. Austin says:

NNNOOOOOO!!!

Jeremiah White would have been perfect for MLS….

Speaking of MLS…..

Has anyone heard about the possibility of EJ returning to MLS for a team like KC, DC, or Seattle?

seems to me like he wants the money, but have there been any such stories?

any player that isnt a starter or sub on the national team, i personally like to see in MLS if you were wondering

33. JavaLavaJoe says:

This is a good move for EJ. If he can get some playing time and score some goals he gives us another option up top while we wait to see what happens with Charlie Davies.

34. Austin says:

im not believing that about White until its official….

the Qatari league isnt awful but it definately is way below his standard in some accounts

MLS is more talented than the Qatari league

BTW Wonsan United…..

you said probably and you should probably add a not after probably(probably not on par with the eridivisie)

its no where near the eridivisie talent wise

i do notice there are quite a few good names in the league but most of the players on some teams are below USL quality

35. ajr says:

Sebastian Abreu is money wish an MLs team would have picked him up a few years back

36. Austin says:

i remember FC Dallas were after Abreu a few years back when he was at River

btw fenel, to answer your question….

he is 33, that might have something to do with it

37. V says:

Will Jeffrey see any playing time with Mainz? Or does that depend on how is does in practices and stuff? Good move? Bad move?

38. Nocompetition says:

Where is the basis for saying a Fulham reserve match is as good or better than MLS?

Earlier this year Redknapp rather controversially did not field a reserve team for Spurs. Instead he preferred to loan out people to get the PT. Redknapp apparently feels competition and desire are lacking in reserve team matches so he would rather save the money and get his players PT in the Championship or somewhere there is real competition.

39. mike d'antoni says:

i thought jared jeffries played for the knicks!

40. Jimmy Bobo says:

Aris are “tracking” EJ how? Since he almost never appears in a competetive match are Aris spying on the FFC training sessions? This is the silliest thing I’ve ever heard. Probably EJ’s agent is talking him up to any club who will listen.

41. Michael Vann says:

A move to Aris to bloster their attack, if playing time is there, is a good move for EJ. They are traditionally a good side and the current Greek table is jam packed from 2nd to 9th in the table. Aris score and give up few. They need the halp up front and hopefully EJ can provide that. The bottom line is that he needs to play. Scoring goals is a must.

As to Abreu, he’s a great player. He is very important to Uruguay but the guy, IIRC, is a head case. There is a reason he’s been on 15+ teams in his career. He gets pissed, isn’t treated like a star and wants out. It’s typical behavior. Aris will release him and he’ll find a home. He always does and I’m guessing it will be in S. America.

42. CHJ says:

I’ve not really given much thought to the greek league since the days of Frank Klopas, a USMNT player from the early 90′s who played professionally over there. But my sense of the league is that it is a very physical league and teams really crowd space. So I am not sure if EJ will find the space that his speed game is best suited for. I also don’t really think of EJ as a player who holds off physical challenges all that well. So I find it a bit odd that a Greek team is interested in him.

43. Oranje Mike says:

Wikipedia current lists Aris’ name as Worms Jerusalem FC? No clue as to what that means. I assume it’s a hack job.

Hope this happens for EJ. I’m with those that are getting sick of hearing about him, my interest will peak again when he’s on the USMNT again but I still hope the best for him in Greece or anywhere.

44. TheUglyYank says:

Why? Two words: Filthy Lucre.

45. Isaac says:

I don’t get what’s so odd about tuning in on the training sessions to find players you could use. Seems smart to me.

46. TheUglyYank says:

Dude,

Utterly utterly preposterous.

47. malakas says:

Worms Jerusalem FC? Could it be hacking by anti-Semitic fans of Aris’ crosstown rivals, PAOK? It’s a fierce rivalry. i think that is the club where the fans wanted to kill Peter what’s his name when he tored off his jersey and threw it aside after a loss! Crazy fans there.

Other than Greek-Americans like Klopas, Teddy Chronopoulos, Gus Kartes, have any big US players ever played in Greece? I know Larissa was interested in taking Freddy Adu on loan this season, but he ended up at Belenonsense. Gregg Berhalter also backed out of a deal with PAOK once a few years back. And Jozy almost went on loan to Olympiakos.

48. Brian says:

About as ridiculous as Qatar’s world cup bid.

49. j says:

clint mathis played for larissa for a short while

50. Modibo says:

Pphhhhhttt!!

51. Shmenge says:

This would realistically be saying goodbye to his World Cup chances.

Asking the guy to move to Greece and pour in enough goals almost immediately with teammates he doesn’t know in a language he doesn’t understand, when he hasn’t scored a meaningful goal in eons for anyone…is simply not going to happen.

Even in MLS, it would’ve been iffy, but against mostly tougher competition in Greece, not a chance.

He could go on to have a fine career at Aris, but if he goes, he won’t be on the plane to South Africa.

52. tivo says:

Instead of returning to MLS,I wish more americans would play in the Argentine league, Brazilian league or even the Mexican league. these leagues are technically superior to MLS. if europe isnt a good fit, try something else. EJ has the physical attributes to be a threat, just needs more skill, drive and humbleness.

53. Alex says:

EJ is shiny.

54. Jacopo Belbo says:

uh, yeah in the same way my right hand is on par with Eva Green. that was just utter nonsense. seriously dude, huffing paint is dangerous for you help. Here is a link where you can get some much needed help:

link to youthdevelopment.suite101.com

55. Andy in Atlanta says:

No disrespect but this is the exact comment that solidifies a misconception in American fans mind’s who only casually pay attention… Fulham has played only 1 domestic cup match this season… a 2-1 loss to Man City in the Carling Cup for which Eddie played 90 mins and recorded an assist… Eddie also played and recorded an assist in the one Europa League match he was able to participate in before the group phase where the home grown player restrictions enter in… he and several other Fulham players who see some action were left off the roster as well…

I just think it does a disservice to those not in the know when comments that are only half truths are left unchallenged on here… The fact is Eddie is not good enough at this moment in time to break into a very good Fulham side but I feel very confident that he could play for the likes of AHEM Hull, Bolton, West Ham (with Cole injured)… he really has improved. Greece would be neat but I would like him to go somewhere in England and make an impact that will garner a little more attention…

56. Brian says:

Ergotelis

57. malakas says:

Ah yes, I remember Clint’s half-season in Crete. When he signed, there were those awesome photos of him holding up the Ergotelis jersey with some club officials — bushy Cretan mustaches and black leather bomber jackets — standing proudly next to him an already paunchy, balding former World Cup and Bundesliga star. He scored a goal or two in somewhat limited action and they avoided relegation, if I recall correctly. They say he was living it up on the waterfront in Heraklion.

58. Joamiq says:

Eva Green? Dude, you’re the one who’s been huffing paint. That girl is hell of overrated.

59. Joamiq says:

I’ve given up on EJ. I don’t think it’s possible at this point for him to develop the skills he is so sorely lacking.

60. inkedAG says:

Between him and Adu, the US has quite the has-been duo!!

61. Jeffrey signing with Mainz should be the headliner here. Johnson lost his chances with the US MNT.

I for one, will be in the stands watching Jeffrey this season. He is a good fit for Mainz. Hope he is confiding in Bradley and Dolo on what it takes to get PT and become a regular in the Mainz Mannschaft.

62. john in stupid hot fl says:

holyu shit Ives…What a picture, at least he’s getting interest from somewhere!!

63. Andy in Atlanta says:

OK…I really don’t want to start sounding like an EJ apologist here but what makes you think he is not improving everday despite not playing regular first team football? He trains under one of the top managers in the best league in the world… He is a regular fixture in the reserves and scores goals to boot… People get so excited about Jozy playing but guess what… he plays for a crap, crap team under a dilusional manager…what is Jozy learning except how to not train hard enough to last 65 mins these days? I think so many of you are too hard on EJ… he works with a team that drilled Manure and darn near took a point of Chelsea @ the bridge… EJ should go somewhere to find first team football but it is not like he has been in some Mike Leach garage somewhere not training… he has been scoring regularly in the reserves… which IMHO may be just as good as Jozy doing PHUCK ALL and if Charlie Davies does not make it back you may very well see EJ in the WC squad so lay off the guy… Here is a clip from the reserves against his old mates @ Cardiff that some might find eye opening.. There were 5 regular starters playing for that Cardiff side that evening…

link to youtube.com

64. mwc says:

Fulham has announced that EJ has been loaned to Aris F.C. until June 30, 2010. Several people wanting to delete posts now, I think.

65. Richard says:

Schmenge,

It’s not like EJ was on the plane to SA anyway. He certainly wasn’t going to get there sitting on Fulham’s bench.

66. PetedeLA says:

To try to answer your question… I’m not a Mainz expert, but I follow the Bundesliga pretty tightly.

Mainz is doing exceptionally well for a newly promoted team.

Their coach is a young, positive thinking, smart, youth oriented guy groomed for greatness.

But defensive midfield (where they see Jeffrey playing) is their most stacked position. They’re so deep at defensive mid that Eugen Polanski (a German talent of some repute) cannot get into the lineup.

Unless he can play other positions well, like maybe right full back, I doubt he will see much playing time this season.

All the press seems to interpret this move as one for the future.

But they’ve got some good players– like former Austrian national team captain, Andreas Ivanschitz, and African striker Bance (not to be confused with Biancee).

67. PetedeLA says:

Thanks for the clip.

68. der_amerikanische_kaiser says:

He loves running with his head down..

69. Andy in Atlanta says:

Very very true observation…

70. UK-DCDave says:

Jared looks to be in a much better place than EJ. Sounds like the coach at Mainz is giving him a good shot to succeed. If Aris actually need EJ (to play) then he has another (maybe last chance in Europe) to shine. Jared is really just starting out and his future is now in his own hands…prediction: EJ fails and returns to MLS (and is successful) Jared has modest success in Germany, and follows this up with greater success in EPL/Championship. (probable minor US national team player)

71. Savvas says:

Hector Raul Cooper(ARIS coach) wants Eddie Johnson to be the one of the 2 offensive players in the 4-4-2 system that he is prefer. Cooper does not want Abreu because he is not defending ay any time during the match, he is “lazy” in the pitch..
    ARIS has a problem with the “easy” goal. Can you thing that Johnson will solve it? What fans of ARIS will expect from him?
    The new home of Eddie Johnson “Kleanthis Vikelidis Stadium”
    link to youtube.com