FC Dallas puts Van Den Bergh on trade block

DaveVanDenBergh (ISIphotos.com)

FC Dallas has spent a good part of this off-season completing new deals and exercising contract options on most of the key figures that helped push the club to the brink of the playoffs.

The key word being most.

SBI has learned that FC Dallas declined to pick up the option on midfielder Dave Van Den Bergh's contract and has been actively shopping the Dutch midfielder around the league. One potential destination is New York, which Van Den Bergh helped lead to the 2008 MLS Cup Final.

Van Den Bergh finished the 2009 season, his first in Dallas, with three goals and eleven assists, a total good for third most in MLS.

So why didn't Dallas re-sign Van Den Bergh?

With Jeff Cunningham, Dax McCarty, David Ferreira and Daniel Hernandez all either earning new contracts or having large option years picked up, FC Dallas was forced to make a salary cap decision. With young prospect Brek Shea as a potential replacement, and with rumors circulating that FC Dallas will sign midfielder Lee Nguyen, Dallas may have no choice but to part ways with the 33-year-old winger.

Where could Van Den Bergh wind up? Sources tell SBI that he is interested in returning to the Red Bulls, where he spent two successful seasons. New York can certainly use him considering the club has no natural left winger on the roster (though Jeremy Hall is an option there). Van Den Bergh became a fan favorite with the Red Bulls after being one of the key figures behind the team's MLS Cup Final run.

If you're a bit confused about Dallas trying to deal a player who's option it failed to pick up, it is one of those MLS rules where a team can maintain the rights of a player as long as a "reasonable" offer has been made on a new contract. Whether Dallas and Van Den Bergh's definitions of reasionable offer are the same remains to be seen, but all signs point to Van Den Bergh being dealt.

What do you think of this development? Disappointed to see Dallas parting with Van Den Bergh? Love the idea of him returning to New York?

This entry was posted in MLS- FC Dallas, MLS- New York Red Bulls. Bookmark the permalink.

72 Responses to FC Dallas puts Van Den Bergh on trade block

1. Dannyc58 says:

Not going to lie, I was hoping this story was going to be about Amado.

2. smorebs says:

Come home David!!!

3. JohnC says:

If the guy is hell bent on Texas because of his wife, is Houston an option? Also, does he have the skill to go south of the boarder if there are no suitors. Also, if the guy likes NYC so much, how much a two hour detour to my Union. You can’t have too many good midfielders.

4. Dave Clark says:

Who makes Salary Cap decisions before the Cap and CBA are known?

FC Dallas, that’s who…

5. fischy says:

Off-topic, but really kind of interesting: I’m watching FSC’s “live”telecast of Tottenham vs. Manchester City. Wasn’t much happening in a scoreless draw. So, I flip to ESPN News to see if there’s something there about Donovan. On the scroll/ticker thing below, there’s news about a couple of baseball trades. I’m about to switch back, when they start showing EPL scores. The score comes up for the Spurs-City match, showing Tottenham up 1-0, almost 37 minutes into it. My brain registers confusion, and I say “Huh? No, it’s not.”

I switch hurriedly back to the game. It’s just over 36 minutes into the game, and don’t you know it? Spurs scores a few seconds later!!!

Somehow, ESPN News is controlling events…..

Or, the game is rigged — choreographed, even…and ESPN blew it by putting up the 1-0 score too early….

6. gmen04 says:

Will the family issues that forced his trade in the first place still be a factor?

7. fischy says:

Go south of the boarder? Is that some weird sexual reference? Does VDB run a rooming house?

8. Aaron in StL says:

Or delayed feed…

9. Juan Carlos Osorio , Master Strategist, Super Genius says:

I don’t like his defensive ability & don’t see why New York would want him. They should go for the speedy Khano Smith typeof left mid.

10. fischy says:

Ya think?

11. Dannyc58 says:

You are epically unfunny.

12. SCNewJersey says:

Oh god, we’re going to muff this up…

13. Tetsuo54 says:

To LA Galaxy please we could use a midfielder on the left Magee is better up top or as attacking midfielder and Lewis is getting to old

14. Amit says:

Vandy on the left and Lobster on the right. Love it!

15. Aaron in StL says:

At least the Netherlands friendly was announced. Slow day on the newswire.

16. JL says:

Wow, so a team that lacks a fair amount of leadership is going to give up on a guy who offered it? This seems to be another powerplay by Hyndman, as I think DVB was the leading assist guy for the team, despite never having someone on the opposite flank to attract any type of attention. He is getting old, but he doesn’t make that much in the grand scheme of things, and as someone pointed out, to make a decision before the CBA is signed seems odd. I can see saying we decline the option, and will look to revisit this once the new CBA is signed, but to put him on the block sounds like they are ready to move on. Then again they put Dax up last year, and that didn’t play out.

17. zenabi says:

Damn hardworking player but slow as hell and with no defensive abilities. Looked totally gassed in the second half of most games. When given time on the ball makes the killer cross but doesn’t have the technical abilities, i.e. Blanco, to compensate for a total lack of speed. I appreciate what he did for my team but given how cheap FCD is they need to cut him to keep the other young talent. MLS is going fast and physical and he’s neither…

18. Mike says:

Come visit Salt Lake City VDV!!!

19. DroScott says:

Congrats on winning best blog Ives!

20. south says:

Yes the game is an hour behind.

21. Josh D says:

I’d take him on our left at DC. Emilio has the worst first touch in the league so he needs all the help he can get with cherry pick goals!!!

Impressed me last season and his stats speak high enough to warrant a solid contract elsewhere. If NY do get Henry, they could be a killer combo…

22. Supsam says:

Come back home to MLS, Lee Nguyen! Though i would love for him to come to the quakes, anywhere in MLS is good enough for me! He’d easily be the next Mark Chung Lets bring some more asian footballers to MLS! Speaking of which, why isnt asia scouted enough…

23. nico says:

Doesn’t recent signing Marvin Chavez play Van Den Bergh’s position…? If so, I would imagine he is a better option being younger and cheaper.

24. agnigrin says:

That was a cover story for the Red Bulls/Osorio/Agoos who did not want to pay them man what he deserved…

25. Danny says:

Bring the flying Dutchman back to New York!!!…If he really does come back to NY then it will show how stupid Agoos and JCO really were in getting rid of VDB…Making up an excuse how he wanted to be close to his family, when really Agoos and JCO didn’t want to offer him a new contract…Really hope he comes back…

Forca Dave VAN DEN BERGH lol

26. Jimmie Johnson (the one your mom likes) says:

too small. RSL looked at a guy, but no way he hangs the whole season.

27. secret asian man says:

I agree, if Lee Nguyen is truly headed to MLS I’m excited. I’d love to see more Asians in MLS, especially Asian-Americans such as Nguyen.

28. PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo says:

VanDenBergh is class, a polished player who is ‘good enough’ for on D for an attacking oriented player. He’s made an impact wherever he has played. He is not a superstar, true, but he is the kind of player all MLS clubs need. A guy who can score, drop in a FK into the mix, cross from the left side, I don’t get some of you guys who would not welcome him to your team.

At what salary is a fair question and one that Dallas has answered for itself, but I can’t imagine DVD won’t have at least a couple of options to mull over.

29. kar says:

Ives — just have to throw out some credit . . . the picture at the top is absolutely priceless.

30. Allegre says:

RBNY probably wouldn’t have their excellent draft position if they had kept him……now if that’s not backward reasoning!

31. sciroccer says:

RSL dosent need him. To old, and to expensive!

32. JohnC says:

I meant Mexico if he absolutely had to be in the south because of his wife.

33. ga-gone says:

BRING HIM BACK!

34. BrianK says:

The Bruce is a fan of David V.

35. Isaac says:

“and Lewis is getting old”

And van den Bergh is some sort of ball of energy?

Besides, Lewis is a fine left wing/back

36. smokeminside says:

fischy, you should try again.

37. smokeminside says:

Fischy, you need to run with a faster crowd.

38. Reece says:

Can’t they just ‘grandfather’ him in :D

39. scott47a says:

Dave, someone knows something. Because you don’t sign Donovan without that information either.

Just because we don’t know it doesn’t mean the teams don’t know what they plan to do.

40. scott47a says:

I disagree. I find any Khano Smith joke quite entertaining.

41. Pappajohn says:

Van den Berg is one of my favorite players. When he is moving the ball up the left side, you sit up straight in your chair and pay attention, because you just know something is gonna happen. He is one of the most accurate crossers in MLS. I’m sure Angel would love to see him back on the Red Bull.

42. Joamiq says:

Nah, he’d be left way behind

43. Onoda says:

DVB + NYRB 2010!!!!!

44. ... says:

juan pablo angel is probably happy to hear this

45. Mikemike says:

Apparently, VDB did not want to leave NY. I don’t feel like looking up the NY Post article, but the real reason he left was that Osorio/Agoos wanted to cut his salary in half.

His salary in 2008 was split between NY and Salt Lake City (?) and NY didn’t want to pick up the full amount in 2009. Stupid for how well he played.

The wife/son to TX thing was a sub plot.

46. Mikemike says:

Oh, and as a NY fan, I’d love him back.

47. Gerald says:

damn good question

48. Juan Carlos Osorio,copious note taker says:

I wasn’t trying to be funny. I am too busy writing in my notebook to make jokes.

49. dancy says:

Would love to have him at DC United. He could fill the leadership roll from Benny and provide a true wide player for the first time in years.

50. Tim From Texas says:

Dallas is not Mexico…so retarded

51. Tim From Texas says:

good point

52. Tim From Texas says:

Why is running a tad too fast for the retards?

53. Tim From Texas says:

Juan Carlos your so silly

54. Tim From Texas says:

They never put Dax on the trading block last year. Never.

55. Tim From Texas says:

Lewis would last 45 minutes at best trying to play at left back nowadays.

56. Tim From Texas says:

I agree, damn good question.

And on another note, I’m really hoping the Pan-Pacific Championship grows into a major tourney. MLS, Primera Division de Mexico, K-League, A-League, J-League, Chinese Super League, New Zealand Football League…and the winner of the Canadian Championship. Great for realations between the biggest leagues in concacaf on east asia

57. Tim From Texas says:

Lee Nguyen is capped so he would have to be allocated, meaning Dallas would have to trade for him. Being that we have the 5th and 6th picks in this years very deep draft, im hoping we trade a pick for the 1 allocation spot to to acquire him.

Van Den Bergh is out and speed and technicality are in!! Dallas is gonna be the S**T next year and I can’t wait!

58. Tim From Texas says:

Also, the fact that were desperately trying to negotiate to bring David Ferreira here long term. In order to do that we need more funds and cap space.

59. DC says:

I couldn’t tell you what anybody’s definition of reasionable is.

60. smokeminside says:

spoken like a true fan. One of my favorite comments on this thread. Hang in there, SC

61. smokeminside says:

Please restate the question, Tim.

62. jc says:

I don’t believe this story, Ives. Just because FCD hasn’t picked up his option yet means nothing. Then you suggest he may head back to Red Bull? Really? This is unsubstantiated and wrong.

(SBI-What don’t you want to believe exactly? That his option wasn’t picked up? That he’s being shopped around? That he wants to come back to the Red Bulls? It’s all true, whether you want to believe it or not.

Know what I believe? I believe you have a lot to say for someone who has never once commented on this site before.)

63. soccerroo says:

you are correct during the season they did not but from about the end of the 08 season to the first two weeks of training camp FC Dallas was looking to move him. Shellas held him out of camp because he did not think he could work with Dax because of the fall out they had at the end of 2008. Dax came back and made up with Schellas and things worked out pretty well.

64. jc says:

“What don’t you want to believe exactly? That his option wasn’t picked up?”

Did you read what I wrote? I said just because his option wasn’t picked up doesn’t mean he’s being shopped around. They could very well be waiting for the player negotiations to be completed before making a decision.

Of course you could be right, but you cite anonymous sources, so why be so indignant that I may not believe you in this one instance? If you are proven correct, I’ll be happy to apologize in an email.

I am an occasional writer for a certain FC Dallas website (my views do not reflect anyone other than myself) and I have sources in Frisco. I called a few people and no one could substantiate your claims. THAT is why I deigned to disagree.

Lastly, whether I have posted any comments in the past seems irrelevant to the topic of your post. The simple fact is, I haven’t commented because the browser and ad-blockers I use don’t permit me to leave comments on your site. I had to open internet explorer to do that yesterday (and now again today).

I love your site and visit it daily, congrats on your recent award.

(SBI-He’s being shopped around. I’ve got that from rock-solid sources. And you tell me to cite my sources. Are you a serious sports journalist? Show me a sport where top writers don’t rely on anoynmous sources. It’s part of the game. And from one writer to another, you might not want to come on another writer’s turf and call them out or question them. It’s pretty tack really. Readers doing that is one thing, but for another writer to do so is pretty lame in my opinion.)

65. Colman1860 says:

Hey Ives – any way Van den Bergh comes to TFC? We don’t have a natural left winger (Chad Barrett is definitely not the solution). Will MoJo be a player in these talks?

66. Nic D "The Texas 2 Stepper" says:

Agreed!

67. Justice from the Big D says:

sweet picture btw. perfect for the subject matter.

DVdB: Dallas? WTF?

68. Nic D "The Texas 2 Stepper" says:

DVB:Traded! WTF!

69. Nic D "The Texas 2 Stepper" says:

Sick ‘em Ives! Whoa boy, whoa. LOL!

70. einar says:

Lee Nguyen coming back from his rockstar status in vietnam? if the dallas midifleld gel they can be an underated offensive threat big time with speed.

71. kurt says:

This is a no brainer for RBNY look at the scoring stats for Juan Pablo Angel before and after Dave…PLEASE LET HIM COME BACK.

72. As a Dallas fan, I would be very sad to see him go.