by FRANCO PANIZO
2009 has been an up-and-down year for the Americans Abroad, but two of the younger players made sure to end the final weekend of the year with solid outings.
Maurice Edu completed his recovery from the lengthy knee injury that has sidelined him since May by making an appearance in Rangers' 4-1 victory over Hibernian. Edu came off the bench and played 16 minutes in his first appearance of the season.
Jozy Altidore also enjoyed a good performance, starting and playing 83 minutes in Hull City's 3-1 defeat to Manchester United. Altidore drew a penalty in the second half that would pull Hull level, but the Tigers would eventually fall, surrendering two goals in a nine-minute span.
Here is how the Americans Abroad did this weekend:
- Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Everton's 1-1 draw vs. Sunderland on Saturday.
- Jozy Altidore started, played 83 minutes and drew a penalty kick in Hull City's 3-1 loss vs. Manchester United on Sunday.
- Clint Dempsey started and played 90 minutes in Fulham's 0-0 draw vs. Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.
- Eddie Johnson did not dress in Fulham's 0-0 draw vs. Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.
- Jonathan Spector dressed but did not play in West Ham's 2-0 win vs. Portsmouth on Saturday.
- Brad Friedel started, played 90 minutes and made six saves in Aston Villa's 3-0 loss vs. Arsenal on Sunday.
Brad Guzan dressed but did not play in Aston Villa's 3-0 loss vs. Arsenal on Sunday.
Marcus Hahnemann started, played 90 minutes and made six saves in Wolverhampton Wanderers' 2-0 loss vs. Liverpool on Saturday.
COCA COLA CHAMPIONSHIP
- Jay DeMerit started and played 90 minutes in Watford's 0-0 draw vs. Nottingham Forest on Saturday.
- Frank Simek started and played 90 minutes in Sheffield Wednesday's 2-2 draw vs. Newcastle United on Saturday.
- Zak Whitbread did not dress in Millwall's 2-0 loss vs. Norwich City on Saturday.
- Ian Joyce started, played 90 minutes and made three saves in Southend United's 2-1 loss vs. Colchester United on Saturday.
- Mike Grella dressed but did not play in Leeds United's 3-1 win vs. Hartlepool United on Saturday.
- Jemal Johnson did not dress in Milton Keynes Dons' 4-1 win vs. Stockport County on Saturday.
- Jon-Paul Pittman started and played 73 minutes in Wycombe Wanderers' 4-0 loss vs. Yeovil Town on Saturday.
- Maurice Edu came off the bench and played 16 minutes in Rangers' 4-1 win vs. Hibernian on Sunday.
- DaMarcus Beasley did not dress in Rangers' 4-1 win vs. Hibernian on Sunday. He was out with a thigh injury.
- Dominic Cervi did not dress in Celtic's 2-0 win vs. Hamilton Academical on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Do you see Edu starting for Rangers soon? Did you like Altidore's 83-minute performance? Hoping Beasley's injury is minor?
Share your thoughts below.