National Soccer Hall of Fame announces 24 finalists on 2010 Ballot

Earnie Stewart (ISIphotos.com)

……………………..Photo by ISIphotos.com

The National Soccer Hall of Fame released its final ballot for the Class of 2010 and the 24 former soccer players chosen represent a vast array of teams and eras.

Former U.S. national team standouts Earnie Stewart, Peter Vermes and Thomas Dooley, Women's national team stars Cindy Parlow and Shannon McMillan, as well as foreign-born MLS pioneers Marco Etcheverry, Peter Nowak and Carlos Valderrama are just some of the candidates on the ballot. And yes, SBI Mafia favorite John O'Brien is also on the ballot.

Voters will be able to select up to 10 candidates for entry, with all candidates that appear on 66.7 percent of ballots being inducted.

Here is the full list of candidates:

Mike Burns, Mauricio Cienfuegos, Raul Diaz Arce, Thomas Dooley, John Doyle, Marco Etcheverry, Robin Fraser, Chris Henderson, Eduardo Hurtado, Dominic Kinnear, Roy Lassiter, Shannon MacMillan, Joe-Max Moore, Victor Nogueira, Peter Nowak, John O’Brien, Cindy Parlow, Preki Radosavljevic, Mike Sorber, Earnie Stewart, Steve Trittschuh,Carlos Valderrama, Tisha Venturini-Hoch, Peter Vermes.

I will put up a post with a poll for SBI readers to vote on who they think should make the 2010 Hall of Fame class, but for now, what do you think of this group? Who would make your ballot? If you could only select one person for your ballot, who would get your vote?

This entry was posted in National Soccer Hall of Fame. Bookmark the permalink.

85 Responses to National Soccer Hall of Fame announces 24 finalists on 2010 Ballot

1. Tim From Texas says:

Earnie Stewart

2. ChelseaMatt says:

Definitely

1) Earnie Stewart

2) Joe Max-Moore

3) John O’Brien

4) Tom Dooley

5) Peter Vermes

3. Isaac says:

Joe Max-Moore isn’t already a hall of famer? I say him, but I’m too young to really know what he did past what I’ve seen on YouTube.

4. smits says:

I’d like to cast an Anti-Thomas Doley vote right now for letting the ball into the far post versus his birth country Germany in the ’98 World Cup. I mean how does that ball go in when your standing right next to the post?

In the words of Walter from the Beg Lebowski, “—-ing Germans, nothing ever changes”

5. RSLRob says:

I’m surprised Juan Carlos Osorio wasn’t on the list by virtue of the hilarious comment he made this season about wanting to manager the USMNT. I still laugh about that.

6. OmarVizquel says:

What exactly was Nike’s concept behind those 2002 jerseys? Not only does it look bad, but it’s made out of some sort of uncomfortable canvas material.

Ives, how about a retrospective on our post 1994 World Cup shirt history before the 2010 designs are announced?

7. MBBeachbum says:

I would absolutely cast a voye for Thomas Dooley.

I think he should be voted in because:

He started every game in both the ’94 and ’98 World Cups.

He played every minute of every game in ’94

He was the captain of the US World Cup squad.

He received 81 Caps for his country.

He was named the US Soccer male athlete of the year in 1993

Thomas played professionally for 14 years in Germany

He won the German cup with Kaiserslautern

He won the UEFA CUP with Schalke against Inter Milan

He played 3 seasons in the MLS

He was on the MLS Best XI and was 2nd in Defender of the year voting in 1997

He was on the MLS best XI in 1998

He won the MLS Fair Play Award in 1998

He continues to support US Soccer by establishing a Youth Academy in California

8. Rocco says:

Marco Etcheverry – he was the cog that held the whole DC United team together and won championships.

9. kpugs says:

Eduardo Hurtado’s name should never appear in any news item even remotely related to any hall of fame. If he gets in, they might as well just let anyone join the soccer hall of flame.

I also don’t think Chris Henderson should be a finalist, although he did have a respectful career.

10. Andrew says:

John O’Brien – he once scaled Everest, Kilimanjaro and Mount McKinley in between World Cup matches, all while carrying an injury and the hopes and dreams of United States fans on his shoulders.

11. JL says:

Lots of good names this time around. All of the following had pretty decent impacts on the American game in one form or fashion, be it being a big player in early MLS, or US national team. Mauricio Cienfuegos, Raul Diaz Arce, Thomas Dooley, Marco Etcheverry, Robin Fraser, Chris Henderson, Roy Lassiter, Shannon MacMillan, Joe-Max Moore, Peter Nowak, John O’Brien, Cindy Parlow, Preki Radosavljevic, Earnie Stewart, Carlos Valderrama, Peter Vermes. I think of the list Cienfugos, Dooley, Etcheverry, Valderrama Joe Max, and Earnie deserve it the most. MLS prob needs to get its own wing, so guys like Lassiter and Stern John are rewarded for their play in the early days.

12. JL says:

Oh and JOB scored the most memorable goal for me in US Nats history, since it was in the World Cup and such a shocker. That deserves some place, even if his career was a huge flameout due to injuries.

13. Rekro says:

Cienfuegos FTW!!!!!

I was at the game where he scored an incredible bicycle kick, and ever since then he’s been one of my favorite footballers. I hope he gets in, he deserves it.

14. Michael F. - SBI Mafia Original says:

IMHO lot of these players don’t deserve consideration:

NO WAY

Earnie Stewart
    Raul Diaz Arce
    Thomas Dooley
    John Doyle
    Marco Etcheverry
    Peter Vermes

If I could vote I think Earnie Stewart and Thomas Dooley bot get my vote.

15. Nicole says:

Earnie Stewart.

16. gaucho says:

For the men:

1. Earnie Stewart
    2. Thomas Dooley
    3. Peter Vermes
    4. Preki Radosavljevic (mainly based on his MLS play)
    5. Marco Etcheverry

Close but no cigar: Joe-Max Moore, JOB, Mike Burns, Mauricio Cienfuegos, Raul Diaz Arce, Carlos Valderrama

For the women:
    1. Cindy Parlow
    2. Shannon McMillan

Not sure Tisha Venturini makes it here.

17. dave says:

Preki, classic. I was just reading that he’s leaving soccer for a career in cage fighting. He’ll probably have better luck there.

18. dman says:

didn’t the hall of fame close recently?

19. DJ says:

I have one of the authentics of that style. The red trim is a fine mesh material, while the main jersey is a rather snug stretch fabric. Smooth to the touch. Very light. It also had a sort of interior t-shirt-type thing knitted inside, almost like wearing two jerseys at once.

One of the funniest moments of the 2002 Final was when one of the Brazilian players was struggling to put his jersey on. The camera cut to the referee, Pierluigi Collini, who was trying mightily to keep from cracking up.

20. DJ says:

The facility is closing. The institution is still operating, and will continue to induct members.

21. Aaron in StL says:

Earnie Stewart

22. Tim F. says:

In 2009, Preki should have been inducted; in 2010, ditto.

23. Peter says:

Jeff Agoos was the new Mike Burns.

Sasha Klesjan is the new Jeff Agoos.

No, no, three times no, unless they are adorned with goat horns.

24. meyers7 says:

I always like Cindy Parlow. She could have had a longer career except for those concussions.

25. Hopper says:

The 1998 World Cup team had sweet uniforms. Haven’t seen anything since that’s looked as good.

26. DC Josh says:

Do other National Hall of Fames induct foreigners? Seems pointless to call it “National” if you allow foreigners.

But if we’re voting foreigner into the US Hall of Fame. Here are my votes:

1. Pele (Cosmos)
    2. Beckenbauer (Cosmos)
    3. Cruyff (Aztecas)
    4. Georgie Best (Aztecas)

Just my .02 cents.

27. Trent says:

That was Mike Burns who messed up in the 98 world cup and I hate him. Mike Burns turns this into a joke.

28. DJ says:

Duh. It was “Collina,” not “Collini.”. Sorry, friends.

29. EdTheRed says:

Earnie Stewart
    Marco Etcheverry
    Preki
    Thomas Dooley

30. dc101 says:

I think people really need to evaluate achievement for this type of thing or else everyone and there brother will get nominated.

Peter vermes has done what exactly??

starting on the US team should no longer warrant a hall of fame award. in MLs peter was nothing special, Preki was the man in MLS, marco too MVP winners

Mike burns???

John Doyle??

Chris Henderson??

31. MM says:

Earnie Stewart

32. Phil says:

I’m lost why John O’Brien is in there when Thomas Dooley, Earnie Stewart, Dominic Kinnear and Peter Nowak aren’t. And Etchverry and Valderamma for their great MLS contributions. O’Brien shouldn’t even be in the consideration as he never fully developed past 1 WC. Some of the players above have influenced both the USMNT and MLS for over 20 years. O’Brien…well…was a one-hit wonder.

33. Neal says:

Pretty sure that was Mike Burns, not Dooley

34. Neal says:

No way to Joe-Max? He has 100 caps, is 4th all time leading scorer for USMNT with 24 goals, and has played in both Europe and South Africa. Plus 3 World Cups and was part of ’95 Copa America 4th place US team. If you’re gonna put John Doyle as a legit contender, Joe-Max has to be on that list too!

35. Bailey says:

It was Mike Burns

36. Jim says:

AND Joe Max was a star in the early years of MLS. 49 goals in 90 games for the Revs from 96-99 (before moving on to the Premiership).

37. Jim says:

Um, what? I don’t know if Vermes deserves induction, but that’s definitely not all he’s done.

He was one of the players that elevated Rutgers to a national power, was runner-up NCAA Player of the year, US Soccer Athlete of the Year in 1988, pretty sure he was the only American on the 1990 WC team playing in Europe, and the first born and bred American to play in the Eredivisie. And played 5 years in the Spanish 2nd division when only a handful of Americans were playing overseas.

And nothing special in MLS?? He didn’t start in the league until he was 30, yet still captained two clubs, won a MLS Cup and made it to another final, and managed to win Defender of the Year in 2000.

38. K Bone says:

If Mike Burns gets voted into the hall of fame, I will quit watching any soccer related to the US. I used to weep when he played for the national team…

39. Smith says:

John Obrien all the way. Then we he gives his acceptance speech, he can finally share his views on relegation & promotion. The adoring public has waited long enough!

Hey – Why isn’t Osorio on there?

40. Brian says:

J.O’B should get his own wing in the Hall of Fame, The Wing of Crushed Hopes and Dreams.

41. Aquaman says:

I don’t understand all the Preki hate. I grew up with him on the US national team and Kansas City Wiz. The US team certainly could use his left footed creativity right now. I understand that his first game for the US was when he was 33 and didn’t have an extremely long career, but he certainly was one of the better players for the US team while he was there. Not to mention his contributions to MLS with his two MVPs

42. gaucho says:

I believe that foreign players had to play in the US domestic league of their era for a few years.

Should Juan Marichal not have been elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame since he is from the Dominican Republic? If you played for the US domestic league, I think you have to get a shot.

43. Sean M says:

Off topic but apparently Donovan did the Stanky Leg in honor of Charlie Davies after he scored yesterday,espn just didn’t show it

44. martha says:

Ide vote for Etcheverry.

Who cares thou the Hall of fame is never open now

45. Tony in Quakeland says:

It was Burns and I can still see the #@(&ing look on his face after the ball went in.

Dooley, on the other hand, was abused by Klinsman on the first goal. Of course, he wasn’t the first or last to be abused by Klinsman but I thought he misplayed the ball badly.

…no, I’m not bitter…

46. Beckster says:

My one vote would be a tie between Ernie Stewart and Mario Etcheverry – can’t decide between the two. For the women, I think I’d have to go with Parlow over MacMillan. Both were super subs but Parlow developed into a key first teamer.

47. John says:

Dooley, Stewart and Moore. Accomplished players for US Natonal Team, abroad and in MLS (Stewart only briefly in MLS).

Dooley changed the national team around when he joined the team adding a lot more dynamic two-way play from defense and midfield.

Stewart was successful in Holland and on US National Team (3 World Cups).

Moore was one of the best domestic players who also played in Germany and England.

Lots of good non-US players in the list too, but these guys should be in. I’d take any of these three guys over the majority of the recent inductess any day.

I like some of the recent inductees (last five years), but some not so much. I mean Mike Windishman is in the Hall of Fame from the 1990 World Cup team and the guy never played professionally (bad timing – no NASL or MLS in his prime – if he had one).

48. Tony in Quakeland says:

If she kept playing, she would have been the slam dunk of thatlist.

49. RSF says:

HUG THE POST BURNS

and for that line alone I don’t think he should be making it this year

50. Neal says:

South America…not South Africa…whoops

51. Neal says:

South America…not South Africa…whoops

52. Phil says:

henderson?!?! Please, no – plenty of heart, but his lack of skills and poor touch must leave him out of the voting

53. Whaaaat….really? Sean, you got some kind of link?

54. Actually I found this:

Here’s a video of Landon talking about his celebration
    link to youtube.com

And here’s a picture of him doing it
    link to mswiley2508.files.wordpress.com

Anyone able to find a video of the actual celebration?

55. ajsdjkad says:

I would like to cast my vote to the entire community of ex-Tampa Bay Mutiny players in there..Lassiter, Trittschuch, Valderamma, Diaz Arce, and Dominic Kinnear!

56. Polish Wonder says:

I’m glad a few here are standing up for Joe-Max. The guy played with heart that we don’t see many current guys playing with. He ran until he dropped. He was versatile. And the stats mentioned show he was also a skilled player.

57. dan says:

How can you include Diaz Arce on that list and not include Preki?

58. SoccerDave says:

If just one? Preki. No offense to anyone else

59. Jack says:

Fascinating comments! Remember that the players on this list met an objective criteria to be eligible and have polled a minimum of 5% of the vote on previous ballots. Criteria are here:
    link to national.soccerhall.org

Keep the comments coming

60. Smith says:

If O’Brien gets in, Ives should be there for the ceremony. SBI has done more to keep the O’Brien legend alive than any other web-site.

61. alexarmac says:

I would absolutely pick Thomas Dooley. In my opinion the level of play for our national team improved dramatcially when he started playing for us. i loved watching him play

62. Bearusky says:

1. Carlos “El Pibe” Valderamma
    2. Ernie Stewart
    3.Joe Max
    4. Mauricio Cienfuegos
    5. Raul Diaz Arce

Hands Down!

63. sciroccer says:

Robin Fraser- gotta honor these MLS pioneers all.

64. Judging Amy says:

I agree on Joe Max. And Preki has to be on there too. He was 10 times the player Peter Vermes ever was.

65. Judging Amy says:

Its been forgotten how good Preki was when he was on the NT because his career was so short. He scored some memorable goals too.

66. Andrew says:

Screw it. John O’Brien should be the only inductee. Ever.

67. eric says:

heck yeah joe-max! i had season tickets to the very first season for the Revs when I was in high school. loved seeing joe-max play.

68. puko says:

Preki is a classless piece of trash.

69. Michael F. - SBI Mafia Original says:

Yeah, OK. Forget John Doyle. I guess Moore gets a nod. When you look at teh stats, you’re right. I watched him for years and just never thought of him as HOF worthy.

70. Michael F. - SBI Mafia Original says:

Never realized how much Diaz Arce bounced around MLS. But his strike rate is pretty impressive. Yeah, OK, include Preki.

71. Michael F. - SBI Mafia Original says:

Agree. He shouls at least be on the ballot. ANd he should get in.

72. Michael F. - SBI Mafia Original says:

Preki’s goal in LA for USMNT vs. Brazil was magical.

73. toreadore says:

Thomas Dooley – he captained our US Team and had a great club career in Germany.
    Ernie Stewart – was one of the US best players every time he put the shirt on, plied his trade abroad and was a big gamer.
    Dominic Kinnear – as a player he has won it all. He’s a great person, not some cocky guy that won’t sit and have beer with you. He won the US Open Cup with the Greek Americans went everyone was allowed to participate in the Cup. Was the first American to win a Mexican National Championship with Nexaca. Has coached the Dynamos to the championship. And seriously if Bradley wasn’t the coach, he would be next in line for the job. I know I’ve said a lot about Dominic but so many don’t know the accomplishments he’s had.
    Marco Etcheverry – The King of DC United should I say more, he put MLS on the map.
    Peter Vermes – Americas 1st Captain, he was the first US guy we all wanted to follow.

For the women, Shannon Macmillan.

74. zongzap says:

I see “Blooter” Burns is in fine company. Why is his name even in there?

75. The Atomizer says:

Roy “the Rocket” Lassiter and John “the Juggler” Harkes. What were all of the other stupid made-up nicknames from that first tv campaign?

76. bayonetbrant says:

“pretty sure he was the only American on the 1990 WC team playing in Europe,”

actually, I think Tab Ramos was playing in Spain at the time.

77. bayonetbrant says:

man – hard to believe no one’s voting for Roy Lassiter. He didn’t rewrite the scoring records in MLS, b/c they didn’t exist when he was doing the writing, but he’s got several of the most impressive goal-scoring strike rates in MLS history.

In ’96, Lassiter scored 27 goals. We talk about Cunningham’s torrid rate this year, but only had 17 goals.

Despite only parts of 6 years in MLS, he still managed 88 goals – the record until Jason Kries topped it a few years ago.

He also played in Italy and Costa Rica. Just because he wasn’t a huge performer for the USMNT (4 goals, about 30 games) doesn’t mean he’s not worthy of HoF consideration. He might not make it, but he deserves to be in the conversation.

78. Gregg says:

Don’t half those guys currently play for the Galaxy?

79. HoneyHell says:

for the Men I’d say:

1. Marco Etcheverry – DC’s my team in MLS

2. Ernie Stewart – Wonderful contributor in 3 WCs

3. Joe Max Moore – Great for Club & Country

4. Preki – Grittiness and MLS play

5. Thomas Dooley – Started the changeover of the USNT

for the Women:

1. MacMillan

2) Parlow

80. Gilbert, Not Gil says:

That goal against Barbados?!

81. Mark S says:

Peter Nowak – The greatest player in MLS history.

Victor Nogueira – One of the best and longest player keepers in American soccer.

Preki – Another great warhorse.

It would be a travesty if they are not elected.

82. lfdaksjf; says:

Well said!

83. Victor Nogueira, of course. We’re biased here, but like it or not, indoor soccer WAS soccer in the U.S. for two decades, and he was the best of all time.

84. I am a HUGE Milwaukee Wave fan as well as a Chicago Fire fan. I would agree with Peter Nowak he was a great assets to the Fire. That is why Peter Nowak was inducted into the “Ring of Fire” aka the retired jerseys.

Victor Nogueria was a legend in indoor soccer he was especially great in the 80’s with the San Diego Shockers and especially with the Milwaukee Wave in the 80’s and 90’s. he was the backbone of the team that led them to 4 championships in 1998, 2000, 2001 and 2005.

85. Tony Lopes says: