Dive or not a dive?

Arturo Alvarez (ISIphotos.com)
                              Photo by ISIphotos.com

Unless you are a die-hard New York Red Bulls fan or a San Jose Earthquakes fan, chances are you missed their game last Saturday night, which means you probably didn't see Arturo Alvarez draw what wound up being the match-winning penalty converted by Ryan Johnson.

The play looked every bit like a dive, and one of the weaker dives in MLS in recent memory, but I will let you, the SBI readers, vote on whether you agree.

Dive, or not a dive? (video and poll after the jump):

Cast your vote here:

What's my take? After watching the full broadcast replay repeatedly, it is a pretty clear dive, with Alvarez taking a touch and a step before an invisible sniper shot him in the left leg.

What did you think? Share your thoughts below.

This entry was posted in MLS- New York Red Bulls, MLS- San Jose Earthquakes. Bookmark the permalink.

93 Responses to Dive or not a dive?

1. KL says:

I think your poll is flawed. I saw it as not a dive or a foul, but the body getting ahead of his feet. The call was bad, but a dive is to show intent and I did not see that. Therefore, I did not vote.

2. Drew says:

KL, you MUST be a San Jose fan (or an Alvarez family member). He KICKED HIS LEG OUT to give the impression he was fouled.

CLEAR DIVE.

3. Deuce says:

e couldn’t even keep a straight face for that close-up in the end of the video.
    He beat his men, then fell for no reason, and fell hard.
    he definitely dove.

4. Pat says:

Dive, and a pretty bad one.

5. ko'd says:

It wasn’t that he couldn’t keep a straight face. He didn’t think it was a penalty either–he just didn’t know what to do about it.

6. GoUnited says:

I am not a San Jose fan, but honestly that is too close to call whether that is a dive or not.
    I think it’s entirely possible that a slight touch by a NYRB defender could have brought Alvarez down.

7. Hal says:

His dive wasn’t even in the area, so a really pathetic though all-too-often predictable call in this league.

8. michael wright says:

i expect that kind of dive from alvarez, but thats still an awful dive and shouldve been a card.

9. Deuce says:

Yeah KL, when people trip over themselves or lose balance, they fall in a completely different manner. There is an effort to stay up on their feet. This guy dropped like a sack of potatoes performing a stage fall or jenna jameson’s panties.

10. michael wright says:

gounited-what are you watching

11. MG3 says:

The foul was outside of the box, but he remained upright and it looks like he went to ground exactly on the 18 yard box line. It looked like there was a tripwire directly over the 18 yard box line.

12. This Guy says:

I’m a Fire supporter so I don’t have a dog in this fight.

That was a DIVE!!! 100%. Cheat that guy is.

13. afrim says:

now just imagine the outrage if this game actually had playoff implicatins for the 2 teams playing or other teams chasing. its time for MLS to start issuing retro-fines or suspensions

That dive clinched RBNY’s position as 2nd overall in the MLS draft

14. Mig says:

I go with KL’s first comment. No intent but also no foul.

There are far too many occasions when even announcers only see two options, Dive or PK, and ignore the third one. When a player acts hurt or gets hurt is another example: 1) foul, 2) faking, or 3) no foul but not faking. There are three possibilities and you saw the third option happen in the Chelsea Liverpool game twice to Drogba and Torres. Both went down hard and were in legitimate pain but neither was a foul instead merely contact after getting the ball.

(SBI-Mig, there was no contact with Alvarez after he takes a touch and before he simulates, so the contact and natural fall theory is VERY tough to sell. It’s tough on the ref to say he blew the call because Alvarez does a good sell job, but the replay gives him away.)

15. SeattleStan says:

Yeah, I love how he fell right inside the box. At the very least, you have to admire the focus it takes to wait to dive until the perfect moment. It was amazingly blatant.

16. KevNYC says:

these are the dives that need to be punished after the fact. when there is clear evidence of obvious diving, suspend the guy for a couple of games and fine the team/player. the ref can’t be blamed, he is doing the best he can.

17. KevNYC says:

18. anotherbodymurdered says:

19. brokejumper says:

Completely impartial observer here…

It is too close to call it a blatant dive even on replay. The key for me it to watch a the contact a step before Alvarez actually goes down.

Just as they come towards the area the defender to Alvarez’s left tackles in with his right foot and appears to make contact with Alvarez’s left.

Alvarez is off-balance as he keeps moving forward and as he brings up his left foot it makes contact with his right and he goes down without any immediate contact.

It easily could be that the defender knocked Alvarez’s left foot into his right leg or that Alvarez simply threw it there when he felt the contact. The motion of his leg is pretty natural for the contact though so if it was a dive, you can’t call it blatant.

20. Charlie says:

I have to say it was a dive pure and simple, he kicked his own feet, and he got up and looked around to see if any one saw it.

21. cjbrown says:

alvarez belongs with the el sal national team rather than usa. wouldn’t be surprised to hear he spent the rest of the match writhing on the turf any time anybody breathed on him, just to waste time.

22. JVC says:

There was a little bit of contact on his left leg as he plants it, but not enough to even make him stumble. He felt the contact, realized that his touch had gotten away from him, and he went down like a ton of bricks. A dive for sure. Watching live from the refs angle, it probably looked like a foul.

23. TheRick says:

I’ve had to look at the video 4 times to come to the conclusion that he seems to have been stepped on and lightly fouled….seems to have gone down from the contact and did not dive outrageously.

The fact, though, that I had to look at it 4 times leads me to the Second conclusion… if I were the referee, I would have kept the whistle in my pocket.

I am not a fan of either club and harbor no animosity toward either so please keep those comments in check.

(SBI-I thought the same thing at first blush, that he had some contact, but if you watch his left leg from the beginning of the sequence, he proceeds to take a touch and a solid step after Ubiparipovic makes what could have been contact. It really looks like he realizes after the fact that he’s been touched and that he should go down, only he had already begun new actions after that contact.)

24. k1p says:

As an ex-player, a clumsy one at that, I believe that he just lost his balance and fell. I don’t think it was a straight out dive.

As a referee, jeez guys, if you haven’t ref’ed you can’t believe how hard it is. Depending on his angle, he might have thought a penalty occurred.

Looks like a no call to me, not a dive. He just lost his balance and the ref called a foul.

25. This Guy says:

I hate RBNY but one thing I can say is that they lose with grace and their star player plays like a man.

26. kc_zealot says:

At most he was sandwiched a bit and it knocked him off balance. If your going to call that a foul fine (as long as the game had been called that way already) but either way the contact was outside the box and he was already on his way down before he crossed the line. Just because he LANDED in the box does not give him the penalty.. sigh

27. Deuce says:

i think the first close up of his face is him thinking, “oh crap, they caught me.” the 2nd one he is clearly trying to conceal his gloating “i got away with it” face.

dive dive dive

people who are not diving are doing 1 thing, trying to stay up on their feet.

Where was the effort?

After watching him fighting through two defenders with such amazing balance and dexterity, falling like that is just a blatant dive.

I also like the point how he stays up through the light contact outside of the box, then falls immediately inside the box.

(SBI-Yes, the facial expressions are priceless, if he were a suspect on Lie to Me he would have been caught in 0.1 seconds.)

28. DC Josh says:

Looks to me like a player who just sucks, and fell over. But the problem lies more with the ref, and not the player. The refs are there to decide whether or not to call a foul.

In my opinion, a dive should either

A. be a penalty and red card for fouler(botched call)

B. red card for diver

NO MIDDLE GROUND.

But first, lets get the right refs in the right positions. UEFA is experimenting with two additional officials behind the goals. MLS needs to experiment with two refs in each half, four on the sidelines, and four behind the goals. While they’re at it, Garber should by a Predator Drone from the Army to patrol from above.

29. Leonardo says:

MG3 – i agree.

it was a foul, but outside of the box. the defender to the right clearly tripped him (accidentally but a foul nonetheless). this caused Alvarez to embellish the trip and fall (inside of the box). (sure he could have fought to keep his balance but he’s a sissy and instead let his body fall forward).

1. it was a foul

2. outside of the box

3. he embellished the foul

cuz he embellished, I voted “Dive” but really it’s

D. it was a foul outside of the box and he was a sissy for embellishing.

30. Brian says:

Absolute dive. Good thing he plays for the Sallies now. I don’t want that garbage on my team.

31. KingSnake says:

I think they need one ref per player, each with his own instant replay system, and the ability to stop the game at any point. It’s the only way to prevent injustice being done!

32. angler23 says:

I don’t need to watch the replay of the play to know it was a dive, just the replay of the players face after the call which tells me “guilty as charged”.

33. PetedeLA says:

Deuce made the call.

34. Jeff says:

Would have been an excellent no call.

35. PetedeLA says:

When I see his second facial expression I can’t help he’s thinking…”I’ll go with a neutral facial expression. That way I look noble if I get a penalty kick, and shocked if I get a yellow card for diving.”

36. PetedeLA says:

‘can’t help, but think he’s thinking…’
    (sorry. It’s late over here.)

37. A.S. says:

I’m a RB fan, and I didn’t see it as a clear dive. I agree with The Rick and Mig: there was some light contact – not enough for a foul – that could have caused the fall. I wouldn’t have called anything on the play, either way.

38. SoccerJohn says:

Looks like a clear trip by the line of the penalty area. Did the line get carded on the play?

39. Greg says:

I think JVC and Deuce are on it here.

There is a foul outside the box but Alvarez tries to play through (which is admirable). As soon as he takes that bad touch and realizes the play is gone, he changes his mind and erases all that may have once been admirable by diving in the box.

I think that first facial expression says it all. Looks to me like he knows he messed up and is a bit embarrassed.

40. Frank says:

Quote 1: I blame players like Schelotto and Moreno for spreading this cancer across the league.

—-

You must be a Fire fan.

Quote 2: GBS, Blanco, Gaven, Rogers, and Espindola have made this common practice in MLS now.

—-

Watching the Crew against Seattle was painful…it appeared they were trying to get PKs rather than just playing the game. However, Rogers (who had a terrible match and tripped over his laces several times)is just weak and goes down every single time someone bumps into him, GBS is no worse than any other South American player, Gaven stopped doing that. Moreno, on the other hand, should be benched for this crap. It’s pathetic and embarrassing. Even when there is a foul, his reputation will make fans and refs doubt that there was any (illegal) contact.

41. Tony in Quakeland says:

As you might guess from my nom de Internet, I’m a Quakesland. And it was a dive. Fairly blatant one at that.

42. alffy says:

I used to study a bit of the biomechanics of human locomotion and have looked at the video numerous times.

Walking/running is a series of controlled falls, afterall, and if you watch closely enough you can see he is bumped, but his body responds naturally for two steps (one for each foot) of catching his slightly off-balanced fall well within the parameters necessary to stay upright.

His third step, with his left foot, is clearly not a natural process and appears to be driven, toe-first, into the ground, with no natural attempt to swing it forward under the central mass.

He tripped himself after the fact.

43. Allegre says:

That call is a teaching clinic for kids watching the game. That is, use the ref to your advantage. If we are to see better performances from our players we need to step up the quality and fairness of the game officiating. Dive or not the whistle stays in your pocket if you are the official and interested in making the correct calls. I am not accusing the official of bias but there must have been some bent that way to call that a foul worthy of a PK. I just wish the league would comment on these type of things and show us their attempts to get better officiating, even if it means adding an official.

44. Tony in Quakeland says:

re: above

“Quakesland” was supposed to be “Quakes fan”

Fascinating to watch my fingers disobeying my brian….

45. soccerroo says:

I do not believe it was a dive but the referee made the wrong call in making it a penalty. the contact was outside the box and thus the the foul should be from outside the 18. So however you want to look at it the referee does make a mistake.

46. gerald says:

Looks like he fell and the ref blew the call

47. zongzap says:

Looks like he lost to ball so he took the dive

Question – how about a list of the leagues most notorious divers and then we’ll take a look and see it there’s any common thread?

48. Keith G. says:

That was a huge dive, the Red Bulls players werent even touching him when he went down. How the reff called that, the only thing I can say is that he is an Earthquakes fan or hates the Red Bulls. That is one of the worst calls I have seen all season. It just goes to show how bad of a season the Red Bulls are having.

49. scott47a says:

I’m with the folks who think he probably just lost his balance. Not a dive, but also definitely not a foul and PK.

People do fall down.

50. Nick says:

It’s clear to anyone looking at that clip that he wasn’t touched before going down. If he did just trip over his own two feet then it was a bad call, but when I trip over my own feet my legs don’t mule kick out behind me.

51. Kosh says:

Yeah…that was a dive.

52. GLD123 says:

They need to start handing out suspensions for this kind of crap in MLS.

53. wyo fan says:

Lots of shades of gray. My view of the replay is that it was possible that the defender pushed his left leg into his right leg, sending him off balance. I do think the fall was embellished.

Regardless, it was a bad call for a PK.

54. Bob says:

That was the triple lindy of dives!

55. Danny says:

I don’t know why NY is always getting screwed when it comes to PK’s…Don’t understand how a ref can not call that PK we had against NE couple weeks back, but this one a ref calls for PK…Also on that play I think the ball went out as well…You can see J.Hall yell that the ball went out of play…So NY gets screwed twice on that play

56. Gary says:

Ahh, another reason they call it the beautiful game! It is an art!

We all need to stop bitching and complaining about diving and start mastering the art.

This is yet another reason why the US is far behind the international powers. We want to do things our way, and not embrace the game as it is.

link to blog.3four3.com

57. k says:

that was a clear dive and was right in line with many other dives in MLS this weekend such as the diving crew against seattle. luckily the ref wasn’t fooled in the seattle game but it’s too bad this one got away with it and changed the outcome of the game.

58. t.z0n3 says:

AHHHH! SNIPERS! *hunkers down*

59. KCB says:

Pathetic. Fine him. Ban him.

60. ryry says:

I was at the game in the corner. It happen right in front of me. First the video slows down the play so I do not think it is as accurate as it could be. In the real play of the game, it was apparent that as Arturo was trying to split the defense he was nudge by the Red Bulls defense right before he fell down. They did interfere with his continuation. The video slows things down so it looked like he had more time after the nudge to dive, but not true, it was a millisecond after the nudge that he fell down (in real time). So there was a bump in the box. Right call.

(SBI-On the real-time broadcast video, when you slow-mo it, you see Alvarez take a touch on the ball AND a stable step with his left foot BEFORE he proceeds to act like he was hit in the leg. It was clearly a delayed reaction to the only moment when contact could take place. If the initial contact knocks his leg off tack, he never gets the touch on the ball and never takes that solid step with his left foot.)

61. Erik says:

That was horrendous. The RBNY defender that “tripped” him gave up on the play and stopped running, then the guys goes down. What a hack.

Gary: having an attitude like that is extremely sad. You basically said you’d rather blatantly cheat and do well then play the game as its supposed to be played and struggle a bit more. What an honorable way to approach life.

62. Rudy says:

I need to see another angle because it is possible he tripped on himself/got nipped; probably shouldn’t have been called though

63. Modibo says:

I agree with alffy. There is slight contact with his left foot, but he plants his right fully and brings his left foot straight forward. You can trip a guy up pretty easily with a slight touch by tapping his foot just after he starts to bring it forward, causing it to catch on the back of his calf and interrupt the rhythm needed to get it back onto the ground when moving at speed.

Alvarez’s left foot went straight forward and then he plunged it into the ground. It didn’t knick his right leg at all. What would cause his right foot to do that? Um, he would.

64. nick says:

we definitely need a choice D) he wasn’t fouled, but he didn’t dive, he just fell

65. 505anthony says:

I think, in general, Carlito gets a really bad rap in the MLS from refs, and that because of his previous offenses, he’s not often given the rub of the green in these kind of decisions, which sucks, because I think his performance last night was great. Nevertheless, while Alvarez is guilty for being a cheat, the ref is guilty of even being duped on what was pretty poor acting to begin with. Just another example of poor refing in these parts.

66. 505anthony says:

BTW, I love all the shots of Ritchie getting irritated on the sidelines. Honestly, I love to see that kind of passion from a manager.

67. Conor Casey's knee says:

I think the real penalty/foul here is Bretos’ commentary.

68. Dexter says:

Looks more like he tripped himself accidentally.

69. Cosmo says:

Smurf treachery!

70. Nutmegger says:

Foul outside the box. Ubiparipovic steps on Alvarez’s left foot with his right foot outside the box. Alvarez’s momentum carries him into the box where he falls.

Should have been a DFK outside the box. But this is an awfully difficult call to get right.

71. Haig says:

It was a filthy bit of cheating by a very skilled player who is also a total scumbag. That’s shouldn’t even be in question.

The really outrageous part was how Christopher Sullivan went through the charade of claiming that it was a legitimate penalty. Despite Sullivan’s annoying affectations (“caviar”? “Italia”?) he knows a ton about soccer, but his on-the-air worship of his favorite Latino players is amateurish and pathetic.

72. older & wiser says:

Can’t clearly tell from the camera angle, but it looks like his heel was clipped by the defender.

73. g says:

The defenders let off right before he hit the box, and thats when he chose to go flying. If there was a foul it was about 4 feet outside of the box.

Has that ref had an eye exam recently?

74. kpugs says:

This is an easy one. Judging by the poll most people agree. Light contact in the upper body happens CONSTANTLY in this game.

Watch this scumbag go down…he flops like someone kicked his feet out from under him, yet the only contact was well above the waist.

There is no counterargument.

75. Tim F. says:

How the refs could blow this call is ridiculous. Soccer needs to have a ref in viewing booth who can immediately overturn such bad calls. Alvarez should be suspended three games.

76. spaaanky says:

These ARE MLS refs we’re talking about. If it was an obvious foul, the play probably would have gone the other way.

He clearly just stumbled on his own feet, however, the ref should have been in a better position to make that call than back at midfield.

77. Army of Dad says:

For all the carping about MLS refs I seem to recal as recent game where a certain CL game where a player clearly dove and the ref awarded a PK. (Eduarda page your office)

78. Neuwerld says:

Hard to tell given the subtleties of actually playing the game. It doesn’t look like a penalty, but I can’t be sure it’s a dive either. That’s the problem with disciplining divers, it’s hard to tell if they dove or legitimately lost their balance and fell.

Anyway, why the focus on this one occurrence?

79. sublicon says:

rb fan here…

Way too close to call. If you go back you can see both players make some contact with his legs while he’s trying to come out from between them. Tough play, I don’t think the fall looked like an act.

I gave Arturo the benefit of the doubt. I think the only questionable thing is where the fall was called and if it was a penalty since he fell right on the line. That’s the bigger question, imo.

80. Jeter says:

I agree, Moreno and Schellotto are two of the biggest divers in MLS. I was glad when the Dynamo let him go. Being a Dynamo Fan I’m somewhat discouraged at the vast amount of red and yellow cards they’ve been getting. What gives? What happend to the finesse? All is see is a bunch of hacking goin’ on and it’s showing in the results, one win out of six games. Horrible!

Divers should be red carded all across soccer in general (European, MLS, etc.)

81. torosrojoafan says:

I am Red Bulls fan. I thought he stumbled OUTSIDE the area. Not a penalty. No, I could not vote in the poll.

82. E says:

Im not sure it was a dive either way. The thing I do have to stress is that I believe the only time a player should be carded or suspended due to the suspicion of ‘diving’ is if they try to appeal for a penalty or foul. Which is SIMULATION!

What a lot of people don’t understand is that the term ‘diving’ is not in the FIFA rulebook. ‘Simulation’ is.

Falling to the ground “too easily” is not a punishable crime/offense in the game.

If a player were to fall to ground in the box due to a hamstring pull or a muscle injury….Could that be falling to ground too easily? Should that player with the injury be carded or suspended? No. and No.

Regardless of which way you slice it though the officials have to get it right.

A player cannot be faulted for a ‘blown call’ by the officials.

It does look from the replay that his heel was clipped by the defender further away from the goal after watching it 7-8x.

It’s harsh to call a penalty though as the defender probably didnt mean to make contact with Alvarez’s heel and it was accidental.

If I am the official:

I let the play go…the ball was ahead of him although he may have been able to get it but the foul was accidental if it all(this depends on the official’s view of the play).

In a perfect world:

I as official… would award an indirect freekick to the Quakes inside the box…as a penalty is harsh. The clip of the heel occured inside the box! A foul inside the box is a penalty.

83. Supsam says:

Im a quake fan so lets put that out of the way. However i do want to bring up a point.

I dont mean to sound like a jerk Ives but out of all the blatant dives that happen in this league (Moreno, Schelotto, Blanco) why is it that you bring this one up? Is it because of the fact that its what made the NYRB lose? Coincidence?

84. . says:

It was a foul, but the foul occurred outside the box. The call is a free kick from outside the box (where the foul occurred) and a yellow card to Alvarez for simulation, occurring after the foul.

85. Ferri says:

Re: E

Just a few points: You are correct that the FIFA laws of the game do not mention “diving” and substitute “simulation.” However, there is no need for a player to appeal for a penalty or a card to be guilty of simulation. To quote the Laws, Simulation is “an attempt to deceive the referee by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled.”

The issue with trying to retroactively nail a player for diving is deciding whether the player went down softly or if they actively attempted to deceive the referee.

In this case, it appears that Hall’s challenge from the side is a fair shoulder charge, but that Ubiparipovic clips Alvarez outside the box. Alvarez takes two steps after being clipped and then kicks out his own foot out. I say call the foul against Ubiparpovic, set a direct kick outside the box, and book Alvarez for his subsequent dive. Of course, this is after multiple views of the replay which the referee would not (and should not) have at his disposal.

86. Ferri says:

Re: E

87. Ferri says:

I should also note that I am a Metro fan and I cursed Ubiparpovic when I saw it live. Can’t blame the ref.

88. E says:

But, Ferri the problem I have with booking for simulation without said player appealing for a penalty is that there is a ‘gray area’ in determing whether a player was infact trying to deceive the official.

Perfect example was Eduardo versus Celtic in Champions League qualifying…when a player is running a full speed and is touched even the slightest, How would we know whether or not they were trying to deceive the referee? This is were the officials have to earn their paycheque. By making the correct calls to begin with and eliminate talk of ‘diving’ ‘simulation’

The combination of not being able to determine whether a player is trying to deceive the officials and the fact that Arsenal was able to prove there was contact made with the goalie using a variety of video angles is the reason his original suspension was rescinded.

More importantly I dont think that using video footage after the fact to determine whether a player was trying to deceive an official is acceptable either. I had to watch the video 7-8 times alone just to see that his heel was stepped on/clipped.

The simple fact that most of the posters on this page think Alvarez should be booked for ‘diving’ when he did in fact get fouled and had his heel clipped….says alot.

How are we seriously able to determine how a person should go to ground upon being fouled?

That answer is easy when a player is not fouled…but when fouled?

89. Marc Silverstein says:

Keep this referee from Canada up North of the border…

90. smits says:

that’s just bad reffing. Though, I’d like to say that flop was less a flop than it was him tripping over himself. The poll is skewed.

91. bryan says:

clearly a dive.

92. swiftys72 says:

@ the 17 sec mark his left foot is stepped on which cased him to go down! Even if it is a dive thats soccer, or atleast thats what we have been told over ten times this year when the same calls were against us! Go Quakes!

93. jeff says:

He fell, and then he was conflicted about the call–embarrassed that he tripped but grateful it was called in his favor. What else is he supposed to do? The poll is bogus.