Davies injured in deadly car accident in D.C.

Charlie Davies 2 (ISIphotos.com)

Photo by ISIphotos.com

U.S. men's national team striker Charlie Davies is undergoing surgery on Tuesday afternoon after being in a car involved in a deadly one-car accident late Monday night that saw one passenger killed. The details of Davies' injuries are not available yet, but his injuries are not believed to be life-threatening. (An update on Davies' condition is expected by 5pm).

The accident took place on the George Washington Parkway. Sources have confimed to SBI that this is the accident Davies was involved in. This story provides more details on the accident.

Davies was in Washington D.C. with the U.S. national team for its upcoming World Cup qualifier vs. Costa Rica on Wednesday night at RFK Stadium.

"Obviously, as a team we were saddened to learn this news," said U.S. Men's National Team head coach Bob Bradley. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Charlie and his family, as well as the people in the car and the families of the others involved. As a team, we are relying on each other in a moment that has for sure hit us all hard."

Davies' was undergoing surgery at Washington Hospital Center in Washington D.C. He is expected to be out of surgery by 5pm, after which an update on his status is expected to be provided by U.S. Soccer.

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

332 Responses to Davies injured in deadly car accident in D.C.

1. petaluman says:

My condolences to the family who lost their loved one. Hope eveyrone else is okay. Every day is so very precious.

2. Andy in Atlanta says:

Yikes…. this puts a nasty feeling in your stomach and for all the wrong reasons especially considering there as a death… I just hope no alcohol was involved on all fronts and that Charlie and the other passenger recovers. From the tweets from Edu and Altidore…something is seriously wrong..

3. Har says:

link to nbcwashington.com

Car was literally torn in half. Hope it turns out alright for the two left alive. Really hope alcohol was not a factor at a 3am accident….

4. bigcatasroma says:

Not. Good.

5. Steve says:

Prayers go out to the victim and his/her family, as well as to Charlie and others involved for healing.

6. Shmenge says:

Sounds like one car, and Charlie was in it (?):

One of the three was pronounced dead immediately after the 3:15 a.m. collision, and the two others were taken to a hospital with serious injuries.

“The car was pretty much split in half,” Schlosser said. The southbound lanes of the parkway, a major commuter artery, were closed until 8:15 a.m., with significant backups reported.

7. Gregg says:

Good god. Horrific. My stomach just dropped.

8. ga-gone says:

I don’t know about you guys, but I always cruise around at 3AM while sober.

9. Phil says:

Nooooo. Terrible news. My deepest condolences to the family and best wishes to Charlie. Even with my deepest love for soccer, we are shook hard when something like this happens…and reminds us all that soccer is second.

Get better buddy!

10. Dman says:

holy smokes….so sad. I have this odd feeling charlie’s career might be over. This truly is a stomach dropping moment.

11. Dman says:

Ives, as I know you will. Keep us updated

12. Michael Vann says:

My heart and prayers go out to all parties involved. Scary to think in an instant all can be gone. Let’s wish Charlie and the other passenger a speedy recovery. The game is secondary now. :(

13. Mighty says:

WoW… any idea if any other soccer player was involve?

14. Andy in Atlanta says:

Death Ashley J Roberta… clearly a soccer fan… Facebook celebrity “Alecko Eskandarian”… all just speculation but I would imagine she was out having fun with Charlie and someone else…

15. 4now says:

prayers for all involved. we’re thinking of you, Charlie.

16. Niccollo says:

ill be sure to include them in my prayers tonite! charlie is fast becoming one of my favorite players to watch!! i hope he is ok! god bless

17. doug says:

Oh my God. Condolences to the family of the deceased. Heres to a speedy recovery for Charlie and the other injured person.

Umm, my dad used to say nothing good happens after 2am outside of your house. 2 questions. Why is he out at 3am? And was he the driver, because that could be considered vehicular manslaughter. This does not look good all around butits early. We’ll see when the facts come out

18. DYCSoccer17 says:

this sucks.

19. alisonrose says:

Saw Jozy’s and Maurice’s tweets earlier and started getting worried…then saw Grant Wahl’s and whoa – worse than I’d imagined. I feel like this is happening to a friend or relative, with how nervous I am…but I guess we do think of these guys as our friends, huh?

Thoughts go out to Charlie for a speedy recovery, and to the family of the deceased. :(

20. Brian says:

Oh no.

21. Austin Floridia says:

my prayers go out to charlie….hope he feels much better soon in order to get back to his form…..

really pray that he will be able to play

this means that davies is another out of costa rica game(doesnt matter much though), i would rather see davies get back to his form after this right away than to see US beat costa rica

22. Darthspud says:

Hope Davies wasn’t driving.

23. Austin Floridia says:

what is the deal man?

zizzo,davies,marshall,dempsey,and demerit all suffering from either odd or horrible injuries

24. EA says:

“I don’t know about you guys, but I always cruise around at 3AM while sober.

Posted by: ga-gone”

Please don’t jump to conclusions.

I’ve been stone sober, driving home from concerts at 3 AM, and I’m on the plus side of 30, so I’m old enough to know better.

Unless you were there, save the speculation. It helps no one.

25. Tony in Quakeland says:

ga-gone: You’re an ass

26. ko'd says:

EA–Amen. Aside from speculative, it was insensitive. Someone died in that accident. The accident, if that is the car that was in the accident, looks horrific.

27. Andy in Atlanta says:

We also do not even know if Davies was driving… cut out the speculation until we hear otherwise… I am assuming it was a rental car if it was Davies driving…

28. MasterShake says:

First of all. Condolences to everyone involved, especially the family of the victim.

Second of all, how fast do you have to be going to literally split an SUV in half…and it still be a one-car accident. I really hope alcohol was not involved and it was a near collision with another car that drove away from the scene.

29. EDB says:

I am not sure its a huge conclusion. 1 car accidents at 3am usually point to one thing. Also why is he even out that late? He has a game in a few days seems irresponsible even if they were all sober.

30. Brian says:

I hope it wasn’t Davies driving, and I really really hope whoever was driving wasn’t drunk.

31. Sergio of SF says:

This is terrible news.

32. MasterShake says:

here is a confirmation of the vehicle being split in half.

link to nbcwashington.com

33. Kyle Feller says:

Why is he out so late?!

34. Marc says:

what did jozy and edu say in their tweets?

35. Aaron says:

Davies isn’t old enough to get a rental car…supposed to be 25.

Hopefully it’s nothing that will jeopardize his livelihood…If this was an NFL/NBA/MLB player I’m guessing we’d see much more coverage, more speculation.

36. Connor says:

davies was a passenger, my prayers go out to everyone, the game tomorrow now comes second

@ga-gone…go play in traffic

37. Dman says:

keep in mind the car may have been cut in half by “jaws of life” to get the 3 out of the car

38. Erik says:

If you look at that car, how in the world did anyone make it out alive?

I am guessing Charlie’s career is over – you can’t walk away from something like that without consequences.

39. MasterShake says:

Dman, good point..i haven’t thought of that.

40. Aaron says:

He didn’t phrase it very well…but the general idea behind ga-gone’s message isn’t far off.

I sure hope alcohol wasn’t involved as well, but as a young twenty-something (as Davies is) I know more than a fair share from our demographic wouldn’t be cruising around for the fun of it that late without some extracuricular activities involved.

Either way until a full report comes out no need to assume that it is alcohol related.

41. montana matt says:

Hope you’re ok Charlie. Get well soon.

42. madmax says:

How sad, from best of times to least in minutes. Hoping for speedy and complete recovery for all, with condolences to all families. How trivial sport is in the arena of life, just an amusing side show.

43. Erik says:

Davies may have been in the back…

44. alisonrose says:

Marc – Jozy first tweeted a bunch of :( and then said he wasn’t going to tweet anymore, wasn’t feeling well, and bye for now.

Then Maurice said he got terrible news about someone and wasn’t tweeting anymore for the day.

When I saw Jozy’s I thought maybe it was just something personal, but as soon as I saw Maurice’s, I knew something was wrong with one of the guys…

Jeez, I can’t even concentrate on work. :( Hope they can get more info out to us soon…

45. Tony in Quakeland says:

ga-gone’s message snide and unnecessary. We’re all trying to find out what’s going on, not listen to some snarky little twerp make wise cracks

46. Dominghosa says:

My sincere condolences and prayers go out to all involved.

47. Aaron says:

Wonder if bad weather had anything to do with it? Report says vehicle “lost control”. Doesn’t look wet in the picture but that’s a good five hours after the wreck. Could have been wet roads.

People have gotten up with as little as bumps and bruises after being projected from a car, so don’t jump to think CD is done.

48. daniel r says:

Grant Wahl said Davies “is still in surgery for up to 90 more minutes.”

link to twitter.com

49. Mason says:

Uh… It may not have been the force of the crash that ripped the car in half. In a situation like that, chopping the car up may have been the quickest way to extricate victims.

50. Katatonia says:

Gof:

Details of the surgery were not made available, but a USSF spokesman said injuries were “possibly” career-threatening.

51. Jonathan says:

Holy crap… prayers go out to everyone involved… Get well soon Chuckie!! damn… this is a huge loss!!

52. ga-gone says:

I didn’t intend it as a joke. Unfortunately the odds are quite high that alcohol is involved. I hope it isn’t, but I’ve seen this story many, many times before with different names and locations.

53. Joamiq says:

Oh God…

54. Experience Dogood says:

Learning of this incident did affect me more than I would have thought. Watching the USMNT go through qualifying, the confed cup, etc. we have seen them develop and grow into a team, and we have grown with them. I think we all have come to admire and respect our National Team. Both as a team, and individuals.

Wishing all the best to those involved, and condolences to the family of the deceased.

Experience

55. qwerty says:

looks like its a infiniti crossover suv….pretty sure there arent too many rental car services with those in the fleet

56. Eric120 says:

My condolences to the family of the person who lost her life, and my thoughts and best wishes to Charlie and the other survivor.

Sad day. :(

57. Andy in Atlanta says:

This really has ruined my week…

58. baldguy says:

Erik, anything is possible.

Live every day like it is your last day to make the world a better place.

59. ComoPark says:

Prayers go out to everyone involved.

60. Andy in Atlanta says:

I think another thing that brings us to feel closer to our national team is that we are such a smaller fanbase than say England, Brazil etc have… those guys are rockstars oer there… our guys are the ones we all grew up next door to and played with in HS, club and college in some cases… We follow these kids when nobody else in this country does.. it makes it all more personal.

61. MikeinDC says:

absolutely gutted- thoughts and prayers go out to all

62. AC says:

A Washington Post report mentioned a USSF spokesperson said the injures were “possible” career threatening. I pray Davies and the other passenger get a speedy recovery. Makes you think how soccer and everything else becomes secondary when events like this happen.

63. Jacob A. says:

As my brother and I made it onto 395 into DC from Atlanta I got the Jozy tweets, and knew something not good had happened. Checked into the hotel, checked the site to see this happened. Not good. Like somebody said, this is messing with me more than I ever thought it would.

Obviously, to repeat everyone, condolances and prayers to the family of the deceased and prayers to Charlie and anyone else involved in the accident.

64. alisonrose says:

Andy in Atlanta – Exactly – you’ve got to be dedicated to be a fan here, and most fans give 110% in support and in trying to spread interest and grow soccer here in the States. It’s so much more personal than if soccer was as big here as it is elsewhere.

Not to say that people in England or Germany or wherever wouldn’t also be upset, but I think it just hits a little closer to home for us.

65. SG says:

Ugh. Terrible

66. Chuck says:

Multiple hour surgeries typically involve some type of stabilization of bones or muscle. If this is a lower limb injury which it very well can be then I think it’s very possible he will be out for a very very long time.

67. Seth says:

Great point Andy. A mean stop to think about it, how many of these guys have you met before and maybe even had a quick conversation with? A would bet US fans have a lot more access to the players than most other national teams. A really sad day. Hoping for good news. Im sad for the family who lost someone though.

68. doug says:

I just think it’s tragic. This kid has such talent and a joy for the game. At the very least, I assume he’s just lost a friend.

69. anon says:

link to facebook.com

This may be the girl killed in the car accident.

70. RedStateJim says:

Let us not speculate.
    Let us not pontificate.

Let us pray/hope for the best.
    Let us remember that accidents happen and for ourselves to be safe.

71. Aaron says:

Either way, aside from the injuries sustained it’s going to be a difficult road back for Chuck D. Pretty tramautizing event to survive a fatal accident.

72. speechless. cat can ball. hope he can pull through. This next drink is for you..

73. Andy in Atlanta says:

Anon… it is the girl, confirmed.

74. Michael F. - SBI Mafia Original says:

I feel sick and sad for Charlie, the lost life and the other passenger. Surprised at the classless comments here too. Get well soon Charlie. Physically and emotionally.

75. ahm says:

best of luck to charlie and hope that he can recover as best is possible. he had a lot going for him so lets hope he gets through this and as close to his old self as possible, not just a great player but added a lot of fun and exuberance to the side just through being himself

76. Aaron says:

Confirmation of the alleged fatality:

link to myfoxdc.com

77. kevin says:

As followers of our MNT just like you guys, we read as many stories as we can, we try and get to know the players. I love these guys because of the way they play, and because I feel connected to them for following for so long. I’ve never met him but consider him a friend. Good luck Charlie.

78. Phil says:

prayers to the davies family as well as the family of the deceased

79. brant says:

Forget the career or the soccer team or anything else. Let’s just say a prayer for the deceased and hope the other folks recover full normal use of their bodies before worrying about soccer careers.

Please get well everyone.

80. RLW2020 says:

this is terrible news.. prayers go to everyone that was involved with the crash and the family of one who died. Davies is my favorite player hope he and all the people involved are okay.

81. Brett says:

First, I’d like to join those offering their condolences. No one ever wants to see something like this happen to anyone (save for a murderer, serial rapist, or the like).

But I can’t help but shake the feeling that this was not some bizarre freak accident, black ice on the road or what-have-you, but a clear case of someone being negligent and making a very poor decision. At this point I couldn’t care less if alcohol was involved, or if Charlie was the one driving or not, a kid with that kind of future ahead of him has to put himself in better situations.

82. ThaDeuce says:

I wish this hadn’t happened to anyone. Tragedy.

83. rc says:

My stomach dropped when I read this. I don’t want to ever know what is is like to be involved w/ an accident involving a fatality. Charlie seemed like he had (and hopefully still has) a great career ahead of him, and to be involved in an accident like this, regardless of fault, is just devastating. Prayers to the family of the deceased, and all involved. This is really just gut wrenching.

84. Sean Monaghan says:

This is awful.I leave for DC tonight from LAX….do you thinks theres anyway they would let US fans leave letters and get well cards for davies in the hospital????

85. ELAC says:

Wow. My thoughts, wishes, prayers, and condolences to the victim.

This is not good. I hope Charlie is OK.

86. mike ruze says:

Considering his game was all speed, this doesnt bode well for his career: (

87. KCB says:

Prayers for the 3 in the crash and their families.

For those interested, JozyAltidore17 last tweet:

“I’m not tweeting anymore yall just not feeling well. Bye for now”

This sucks.

88. jig says:

according to wahl and ussf he is going to be in surgery for another 30 minutes

89. kjk_40b says:

Experience

Posted by: Experience Dogood | October 13, 2009 at 03:47 PM

I couldn’t agree more… I feel very connected to Charlie and the other Nats because this has been “my,” or more appropriately “our,” team for a long time. As a soccer fan in the U.S., I believe I feel more connected to our National Team than most fans due to their favorite sports team.

Overall, this feeling reminds me of April when I heard of the passing of longtime Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas. I was stunned then and more so now by this news and wish everyone involved all the best, and I wish everyone here safe travels home.

90. Andy in Atlanta says:

The Sochuax fans seem gutted…

91. kjk_40b says:

Once again, let’s not conjecture about careers or drinking or roles in the accident. It was an accident, a major one, that has injured and killed parties involved.

Prayers and good thoughts to all involved…

92. JoeW says:

First, the vehicle was torn in half by the force of the accident, not the jaws of life. A metro police spokesman confirmed that it was the force of the accident that tore the SUV in half.

Second, the woman who died in the accident was a friend of Alecko Eskandarian. Alecko was supposed to be part of the group but got the text message too late to join them.

Third, the USSF has indicated the Davies’ injuries are not life threatening (though as far as I’m concerned, ANY time you go under the knife there is some risk) but ARE career-threatening. And that does not mean he might miss some time. It means he might never play again.

Fourth, nothing irregular about Davies being out. There was no team curfew, team breakfast this morning was optional so his absence didn’t mean anything. A bunch of people who love soccer were all going out together (though Alecko missed the get-together).

My sympathies to everyone involved in this.

93. MG3 says:

I feel horrible. I hope more information is released soon.

I wonder what can be done tomorrow at the game for him and the young woman that lost her life.

94. casadelqueso says:

Awful. Thoughts and prayers go out to Charlie, and especially to the family of the woman who died.

95. Aaron says:

God, being in surgery for upwards of five hours…just hope it’s nothing that will affect his ability to walk or something.

96. Jorge says:

Friends,

I think this is the girl killed in the accident:

link to facebook.com

According to ESPN, she’s a friend A;eclo Eskandarian, LA Galaxy player.

97. Rob says:

guys i don’t mean to offend the religious, but writing “prayers and condolences” on a soccer blog is somewhat pointless. that being said, here’s hopin davies makes it out okay and that it wasn’t alcohol related.

98. ELAC says:

The news keeps getting worse. Que paso?

99. rory says:

If prayers and condolences are somewhat pointless, then what is “here’s hopin davies makes it out okay”???????

100. Angel says:

I just hope that is doing good and this not a caree ending and just as another one Zizzo goes down with an Season ending injury. I hope for the better and I hope davis and who ever was with him come out of this one in well condition. My prayer to you Davis and his family…

101. Mason says:

===

Link?

102. Dman says:

Posted by: Rob | October 13, 2009 at 04:20 PM

Not the time or place to bring religion into this…..

Can only imagine a 2 hour surgery was.:(

103. Jorge says:

This is ESPN report on the accident including the person who died:

link to tinyurl.com

104. Kyle says:

Prayers and thoughts go out to all involved and for the doctors hands that are doing the healing…While soccer obviously takes a back seat, I hope our boys dedicate the game tomorow and bring the energy and passion that Charlie always exhibitied. I couldn’t imagine having to play a soccer game tomorow…

105. You can all write the full and what not and not jump to conclusion crap. But, get real.

3AM+ 20syo Athlete + girl + 1 car accident + 5hour surgery = bad time that is going to get worse.

the length of the surgery is enough to speculate about his career being over.

I would be surprised if alcohol was not involved given the above.

106. Never First says:

“The impact of the single-vehicle accident sheared the car in half.”

link to wtop.com

I hope Davies is OK, and I feel for the deceased girl’s family. I would say speed was likely a factor, but this isn’t the time to judge people.

107. Aaron says:

Jimmie Johnson – I think most people get that. Most are just looking to have a little respect (and compassion) for the situation. Nobody on here is so blind to what the possibilities are, but without full disclosure there’s no reason to assume anything just yet.

108. Dannyc58 says:

Prayers to all involved.

Just terrible.

109. alex says:

Who Cares about the alcohol, this sucks, becuase he is a human being and so is she, some one died, so please spare us with your ” get real crap” you get real!

110. Glass says:

I think we all have started to fall in love with Charlie Davies. He’s been fun to watch develop over the past six months especially and it would be very tragic to see his career end like this. But you never know… maybe he can get through this like Kaka did. But really, the most important thing is that he gets better period. I’m praying for you Charlie.

111. Paul says:

Alecko just tweeted

“In my prayers Charlie. RIP Ashley. Can’t belive this.”

He did know her then

Hope for the best for all involved

112. ahm says:

hey jimmie johnson what was the point of your message? i’m not even being sarcastic, i just legitimately want to know how the synapses fired in your brain to tell you to write that. get real, you’re an insensitive idiot.

113. SBGarrett says:

deeply saddened… I hope he comes through this all right and we see that smile on his face again playing for the Nats. He’s been on top of the world lately. Praying for you and the other passenger.

114. Erik says:

Not good… it’s months old but here is her last “tweet”

“blame it on the a-a-a alcohol. i hate to admit it, but sometimes, i just have to.9:09 PM Apr 26th from web”

link to twitter.com

115. Better this way says:

Posted by: Chuck | October 13, 2009 at 03:57 PM

————————

Why speculate like this? You are doing NOTHING but guessing. How is that helpful?

116. Connor says:

Jimmie Johnson, take ur pessimistic insensitive ass off this board. This is for real fans who dont look for the worst in everything.

117. Jorge says:

Paul,

Alecko did know her. Here is her Facebook page (I think):

link to facebook.com

118. Dannyc58 says:

Erik,

That’s not relevant (months old) and extremely unfair. Let’s just let things play out…jeez.

119. Ryan says:

@JoeW

No team curfew??? No mandatory breakfast??? Way to go Bob, you clearly care about the winning the group as you stated just the other day. I mean your team really seems to be taking it seriously. I am sorry Charlie got hurt and the girl was killed, but let’s talk about we all really care about how is this going to affect the team. If Davies is out, who do we start forward???? It sucks what happened early this morning, but what are you doing being out at 3:15 AM with the World Cup roughly 8 months away.

120. mlowry3 says:

Davies listed in stable condition per ESPNNEWS.

121. GLS says:

I know everyone is concerned about speculating, and the info is out about the friend of Alecko, so let me add that from people who are friends with the woman, there was definitely alcohol involved and Davies was not driving. This whole thing is horrible and really just sucked the air out of me today.

122. Sean H says:

Alecko Eskadarian’s tweet

“In my prayers Charlie. RIP Ashley. Can’t believe this.”

123. Mason says:

link to wtop.com

===

That’s a reporter talking, they know… what the police tell them. What the police are saying is that “it was pretty much split.”

Of course, in a case where the car is, pretty much split, the easiest way to get people out is to cut them out.

124. ACES says:

Unbelievably sad. Get well Charlie.

125. Dannyc58 says:

@Ryan,

This isn’t the time to talk about it, but maybe there was a curfew and it wasn’t honored? Not that that mattered. Worry about the USMNT implications later. For 5 minutes lets respect the deceased?

126. montana matt says:

This is terrible, scary news.

127. rory says:

I HATE that we live in an age when we can use twitter to read the last few meaningless posts of someone’s life and worse yet we can find out her facebook page before everyone she knows is notified.

128. Better this way says:

@JoeW

Posted by: Ryan | October 13, 2009 at 04:37 PM

————————-

Typical SBI idiot poster – blame Bob Bradley for this. You are an f-ing idiot, Ryan.

129. Wispy says:

No, Ryan, I for one am not thinking only about how this will affect the team, nor about who we will start at forward, nor about whether we can still win the group. Bob Bradley is not at fault for the decisions, good or bad, of three young people who had a life-altering event early this morning. One family lost a daughter/sister/loved one. That’s what I’m thinking about and I pray that everyone gets through this. I could care less about our WCQ group.

130. AW says:

so sad. i will be hoping for the best for charlie. also send my regards to the family of the deceased.

wow — life is such a fragile thing. am totally gutted at the moment.

131. Dannyc58 says:

Posted by: rory | October 13, 2009 at 04:41 PM

******************************************

Amen.

132. ELAC says:

Stupid people. Pray if you want to or Don’t pray if you want to.

Stop hating if you don’t like it.

133. Jorge says:

I agree with you, Al_OC.

134. Indigo Montoya says:

Tragic all around. Simply tragic.

135. Joamiq says:

I’m guessing Ryan was making a joke about Bob Bradley haters. Which it is totally not the time for.

For the record, I don’t see why being out at 3 am two nights before an 8 pm game is a big deal.

136. Erik says:

GrantWahl Re: USSF spokesman saying Charlie Davies’ injuries are “possibly” career-threatening: USSF withdrew statement. Not enough info right now.2 minutes ago from web

(SBI-There’s a reason we never used those words, because that statement was never a concrete one.)

137. Andy in Atlanta says:

Posted by: Andy in Atlanta | October 13, 2009 at 03:16 PM

Not to sound like a trite prick but I love how lazy journalism is… I had this info 1.5 hours ago up…

138. inkedAG says:

Horrible, horrible news. My prayers are with the Ms Roberta’s family and Charlie Davies.

139. Aaron says:

Andy – ever think how maybe they were verifying sources? Maybe not lazy, could be responsible? That’s just my two cents.

140. AdamTheRed says:

‘IF’ booze was involved its inexcusable. DC has unbelievable cab and public trans. End of story.

141. Andy in Atlanta says:

Fair enough Aaron… but it was all pretty obvious.

142. skinnyj says:

Bad news for all the families involved. Car accidents happen every day which effect a lot of people. This is especially bad for US Soccer, who were pinning a lot of their hopes for successful World Cup on Davies. Young, talented and improving striker- rare in the world, more rare in the states.

I have to call out US Soccer and Bradley on this one. Most, or all, professional sports/teams have a curfew on their players so this crap doesnt happen. Do you think this would happen to USA Basketball? Would Coach K allow this situation 2 days before a game while the team was traveling together? Now, we will see changes so this doesn’t happen again, but possibly too late for Davies’ career. Get well my man, I love watching you play.

143. Dannyc58 says:

Andy in Atlanta,

Maybe its not lazy? Maybe they wanted to respect the family and not let the impersonal f*cking internet know before the family does.

Are people really this clueless?

144. r.benjamin says:

unreal.. not good at all.

145. Aaron says:

Yea I can see that. But I just wouldn’t want to have Facebook as my reference. About reliable as wikipedia. Anything can change/update anything.

146. mcjones says:

I agree Rob. More importantly, hope his surgery goes well.

147. martha says:

Soccer Gods are clearly not USMNT fans. JOB, Tab Ramos, Cory Gibbs, Rossi, Subotic and now Davies.

Fate paging EJ this is ur last chance.

Cars dont generally, cut in half and kill people at 2 am when their drivers are sober and not speeding.

148. Andy in Atlanta says:

Dannyc58… the internet age is what it is man… Not clueless.. just live in the modern world unfortunately… her death was in the Wash Post artical at the same time around 315.

149. Goalscorer24 says:

Hope alcohol was not invovled.

150. Dannyc58 says:

Andy,

And unlike you they have a responsibility to get the corect Ashley right. You’ don’t. You took an educated guess, and guessed right. The last thing it is by the press is lazy journalism, its one of the few examples where the press is respectful.

151. DCD33 says:

Car accidents do happen every day and night. We have no idea what was involved in this one, nor is it our business. Just learn a lesson and reduce the risk to yourselves and everyone else on the road by driving carefully and sober at all times. Hope the grieving find peace and the injured heal.

152. AdamTheRed says:

I heard on the Goff board, there was a 12 curfew, But Charlie was not in at that time.

153. a sad friend says:

it was a dear dear friend of mine who DIED in that accident….so to all of you insensitive people out there, please think twice before you right your comments about alcohol or whether or not someone should be out at 3 am…even though im close to the story, i have no idea if alcohol was involved or not…but that is SO secondary at best…a BEAUTIFUL, WARM, and LOVING girl just lost her life…so who are you to judge. Comments like that make me sick. She just celebrated her college graduation merely months ago…she had plans to go law school, to be a mother and a wife to someone some day…and its gone.

“I write these letters to you, but they get lost in the blue…theres no address in the stars”

154. Carlos says:

Condolences to Ashley’s family, fingers crossed for Charlie and the other passenger to pull through.

As a Honduran fan this news is devastating as well beyond the human tragedy because it is unlikely that the U.S. team will be able to focus in any real fashion on this critical game.

155. Jorge says:

Dannyc58,

I agree with you on lazy journalism. No question. But it was the local police department that released the name of the dead girl, which only means that the family had already been notified.

156. Paul, North Jersey says:

Condolences to Ashley Roberta’s family. Focus on getting well Charlie…

157. alisonrose says:

Seriously, people – stop blaming BB or US Soccer or whoever for this. That’s horribly cruel and cold, not to mention total bs. We do not know exactly what happened that night, and to throw blame around already is not just heartless, it’s also dumb.

If you think BB and the others don’t feel absolutely awful right now, you’re clueless. But it’s not their fault, and it’s messed up to say it is.

158. Mark says:

My prayers are with Ms. Roberta’s family, and I hope that Charlie is going to be able to resume his career once he recuperates.

159. Andy in Atlanta says:

Point well taken Dannyc58, my point was that her name was already released in the press… how many Ahsley Robertas age 22 from the DC area who like a soccer player are going to be out there… seems like all the facts were there. Again… I do agree for the most part with your point.

160. Dannyc58 says:

Jorge,

Then Andy in Atlanta is impressed with himself over what exactly? Putting her name in facebook? BFD

161. TomM says:

Ouch.

Thoughts and prayers to all families and friends.

162. Tony in Quakeland says:

Also per Goff, US Soccer was told Davies NOT driving

163. Ryan says:

Ok, first of all I am not blaming Bob Bradley for the accident. I think Bob is a great coach. However, I am suggesting that a coach should have his players on a leash especially with one more game to play and a whole World Cup coming up. I think not having a curfew and such shows that the US is not taking this next match so seriously, and that is EXTREMELY disrespectful to lets say the Honduran National Team. As for me being insensitive, I have never met Charlie or Ashley or the other people in the car for that matter. I think it is terrible for them and their families, but I am in no way emotionally connected to them just because I enjoy watching Charlie play. To everyone that is posting who feels connected, why don’t you something a little less tacky when it comes to offering your condolences. Seriously, contribute to a scholarship fund, send flowers, make a donation to US youth soccer, write a letter or card, but don’t post a grammatically incorrect message on a soccer blog and expect to have any real positive effect on their unfortunate situation. Now back to my original point, who do we play at forward now if Charlie is going to be out???? Thoughts???

164. fenel says:

I hope that won’t end his career as a footballer.

165. Joamiq says:

Ryan: Shut. Up.

166. Andy in Atlanta says:

Dannyc58…why taking a shot at me? I did nothing wrong and even agreed that your were correct on most fronts…not cool man

167. Tapatio says:

Mexico fan here. Heres hoping for a speedy recovery for Davies. My condolences to the girl’s family who lost her life.

RIP.

168. soccerdude says:

first, thoughts and prayers go to the people, friends and families involved, BUT I’m not at all happy about this coming from a parental stand point. why was there no curfew when the USMNT trains?

169. From the USSF it does sound like CD will be out a very long time, if not forever. While they did retract the “career-threatening” description it is clear that it must be bad and an injury to his legs if those words were even uttered.

5 hours of surgery = out for a year or more.

Its too bad.

170. alisonrose says:

Ryan, who are you to pass judgment on others because they choose to comment on an article saying that they’re sad about the situation and hope he gets better? You call that “tacky”? Would it be more “appropriate” for no one to say anything at all? Come on. You’re just being a jerk. Of course people are going to comment on a piece like this with their thoughts and reactions – that’s kind of the freaking point of commenting, you know?

And I don’t think anyone thinks they are going to have an impact on the outcome of the situation by leaving a comment – they just want to say something. What’s wrong with that? Why does it bother you? And if it does, why don’t you keep it to yourself and let people do what they want to do?

YOU are the one coming off as tacky if the only thing you care about is who is going to take Charlie’s place on the pitch. You don’t have to think of these guys as your friends, as some of us do, but jeez – show a little compassion and at least wait until we know that Charlie is ok before you start playing Wannabe Soccer Coach.

171. Army of Dad says:

Prayers out for all involved in this accident.

172. This Guy says:

Ryan,
    Leave the Internet…

173. Al_OC says:

Ryan – First, we don’t know for sure if there was a curfew or not (at least I don’t know). Second, even if there was a curfew it’s still the players responsibility to follow it. So, I can’t blame BB or USSF on this one.

Let’s go back to what’s matter, which is Davies’ health. The ‘possible’ career threatening statement was retracted, so that’s a bit of a good news.

174. smokedgouda says:

This sucks. The best to hope for is that things work out so that he can play again.

175. tsingletonvt says:

Goff on twitter:

SoccerInsider Awaiting more details on Charlie Davies. Early indication is broken leg and internal injuries. Team has left hotel for practice at RFK.

176. Wispy says:

Thanks, alisonrose — you posted extactly what I was thinking but am too upset to put into words.

177. patrick says:

grant wahl says hes still in surgery. Apparently ussf released a statement saying injuries may be career threatening, but then retracted the statement. Hopefully Charlie, and the other person in the accident will be OK. I’ve been on that road and it’s no stretch of the imagination to see how this could happen

178. Aaron says:

Goff on twitter:

Posted by: tsingletonvt | October 13, 2009 at 05:14 PM

God that sucks, has to be painful. Hopefully the internal injuries are limited and not serious internal bleeding.

179. StringerBell says:

A few posters on a University of Maryland message board I read said they knew the two other passengers involved in the accident. They say that the driver wasn’t Davies.

Take it for what it’s worth.

180. AdamTheRed says:

According to Goff,

Broken leg and internal injuries. (Not certain though)

181. Mason says:

==

Not at three AM (WMATA closes at 12) if you’re black (cabs).

182. ImaGoalMan says:

Now ordering Davies USMNT “Away” jersey…

183. patrick says:

oh, and ryan,
    Given that his circumstances are still up in the air, I’m not sure donating to a scholrship fund would be appropriate. Furthermore, if you don’t have an emotional connection with the players wearing the stars and stripes, you’re missing a massive part of international soccer. Kids like Jozy, charlie, stu holden, benny, freddy adu, maurice edu, they’re MY generation. I see them on twitter, i see them in interviews and more importantly, i see them busting their ass to represent OUR COUNTRY. If that doesnt stir the emotional pot, then you’re emotionally bankrupt.

184. Joamiq says:

Not at three AM (WMATA closes at 12) if you’re black (cabs).

Posted by: Mason | October 13, 2009 at 05:17 PM

Truth.

185. RK says:

patrick: Heck, Jozy twitted the other night that a DC cabbie kicked him out because he thought he couldn’t pay.

186. DC Josh says:

Praying for everyone involved, especially the fatality…

187. roysterer says:

You know, you just don’t expect this kind of thing to happen. Players get injured on the field, not in fatal car crashes.

Obviously it’s sad when any young person dies like that, a world of possibilities ended by the vagaries of fate, for no purpose, and with no comfort for those who knew and loved her.

188. HomeyBoehme says:

Ives, is there an indication about an official press conference to discuss this thing? I realize some press might not care, but at least it would give me something else to do besides check every single soccer website for another indication of what may or may not be going on.

189. This Guy says:

I have to go to class. This sucks. I’m thinkin’ I’ll probably order myself up a ChuckDeezy jersey tonight too.
    Reflecting, it’s easy for us to criticize during matches and things but something like this happens and it brings the reality of how much of a connection and how special these guys are.

Come on you Yanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

190. M.Verde says:

To Charlie Davies from a Mexican fan, I wish you a succesful and full recovery and my condolences to the girls family.

191. Eazy says:

Not Good. Thoughts and prayers go out to you Charlie.

192. tsingletonvt says:

Ives on twitter:

SoccerByIves Sources- Charlie Davies NOT the driver in the fatal accident.

193. JVC says:

I read that USSF confirmed that Davies wasn’t driving. Either way, it doesn’t change that a horrible accident happened. Prayers go out to all the families involved.

194. Aaron says:

This process is going to be long and drawn out with the recovery. Not being the driver might make it a little better for Chuck in the long run (especially on the legal side of things), but it’s still likely a long recovery process. Best of luck man, hopefully he can get back to what he loves in good time.

195. Dman says:

it’s 5:40 any update from the 5PM release?

(SBI-His surgery obviously ran long, this is a fluid situation so be patient.)

196. Mason says:

So… Ah…

If it’s not too soon to ask… And we do have a match tomorrow, friendlies in November, and a WCF in SA next year…

Who slides into his place if he isn’t recovered in time?

Dempsey with Holden on the right? Altidore? Casey? Ching? Landon playing a withdrawn role with, like Torres on the left in a 4411?

Damn.

197. BlueWhiteLion says:

Nice to see the many people expressing their heart about these young people.

Ryan, there is a time for everything. Including a time to hold your tongue in moments of grief. Perhaps you will learn that in time.

Peace.

198. Oog says:

I think Rob is somewhat pointless on a soccer blog.

199. bud says:

When the police say publicly that ‘the vehicle was ripped in half’ they usually only do that when its clear that it was operator-error. Otherwise, due to liability, lawsuits, inter-govt’l squabbles, they would just say ‘the accident is under investigation’. Also if anything other than operator-error was involved, the police would cite it…weather, traffic, and also, they would typically say so. “XXXX or YYY may have contributed to the accident.”

The fact that they aren’t even saying there were skidmarks is telling.

As a former police reporter, and having done a ton of these, its usually pretty easy to learn a lot more from what was/wasn’t said in the initial reports.

200. MVK says:

horrible horrible horrible

“But, imagine the impact on the other two people in the car, especially whoever was driving. He’ll hold himself responsible for her death, and he’ll relive it over and over for the rest of his life. Physical injuries heal, but how can anyone ever get over that?”

a kid i was kinda friends with (same parties) in college had this happen to him, a girl died; he was never the same person after that… i cant imagine how that weighs on you; just horrible situation all the way around

201. adam says:

“Sucks for the parties and the families. The fans feeling sorry for themselves need to get a life, tho. ”

Uh, right. Because it’s totally normal to ignore the emotional investment that many of us have placed in our MNT and the players. To lose one of the players, especially Charlie Davies who was quickly becoming a young American star that had nowhere to go but up, is understandably crushing. If this does turn out to significantly affect his career (which I think we most suspect it will), it is a great loss for our team and our country. I think we have every right to be upset, and you need to get off your freaking high horse.

202. Joamiq says:

Mason: Too soon.

203. Mason says:

Joamiq-

I’d hate to be Bob, then, but OK.

204. tsingletonvt says:

Wahl on twitter:

GrantWahl Charlie Davies is out of surgery. Still awaiting a report from the hospital/USSF on details of his injuries.

205. Timmmy says:

He’s out of surgery (Per Wahl). I feel for family and friends of all involved.

206. Chris from OC says:

quoting: (SBI-We’re expecting an update soon. We will pass along all solid info and reports we find.)

thnx SBI

As an LAA fan, i was having nick adenhart flashbacks when i first heard the news. Hope CD recovers… soccer aside, he’s a kid who has a lot more life ahead.

207. SoccerJohn says:

Today, career is secondary to Charlie. The events of last night will change his life one way or the other. It’s just fantastically sad to see anyone experience that.

208. ko'd says:

bud,

as a police reporter, what do you know about liability and lawsuits? Isn’t that the lawyer’s job? And most of us don’t feel sorry for ourselves. We feel sorry for the man that we root for and, as a result, the people he was with at the time of the accident. It is the connection that USMNT fans have to the players that makes this hit home (as opposed to the same accident that none of us knew about until this afternoon, because we had no clue that it involved Charlie Davies).

In the end, it’s ludicrous that anyone on this or any other blog that expresses deep sympathy or heartbreak should be criticized. Most of the commenters here have indicated that their thoughts and prayers are with all of the vehicle occupants and all of the families of those occupants.

Why don’t you recognize that as a GOOD thing (for society, for the community, and for humanity generally)?

209. smokeminside says:

Joamiq and DannyC58…I’m with you guys…this just leaves me sick. I don’t even know what to say…I can’t imagine what the families are going through, or how the team is even able to practice right now.

Peace to everyone.

210. Trav says:

Lalas was just on Sportscenter live from practice at RFK. The team isn’t saying much but the look on the faces said it all…this is not the way they thought this week would go.

211. Ryan says:

Thank you, Mason.

212. kobao says:

scary, lets hope it isnt actually career threatening as has been suggested, but more importantly thoughts go out to everyone involved and their family. wow, wow

213. Danny says:

OMG…Prayers go out to Davies and his friends…Terrible news : (

214. Derek says:

This SUCKS.

215. Michael Wright says:

bottomline of espn says he’s stable

216. Tim F. says:

Condolences to Ms. Roberta’s family.

Charlie, I’m sorry this had to happen to you. We wish you a speedy and full recovery Charlie!

217. cesar says:

I’m surprised by how much this actually affected me. Maybe it’s the impact of twitter on the fan-athlete relationship, but between that and the joyful way that Charlie plays, I sense from reading all of the comments that many of us see him as someone we could be be friends with.

Condolences to the family of the deceased, and here’s hoping for a very speedy recovery to Charlie and whomever the other passenger happens to be…

218. jimmie says:

This officially ruined my day.

219. alisonrose says:

Mason – Obviously, this is something BB needs to think about, but we’re not him. People want to be considerate and think about Charlie and his family and the young woman who passed and her family….and not immediately jump to OMGZ WHAT ABOUT TEH GAME???

Of course it’s probably in the back of our minds, but even as an ardent soccer fan, to me the health and well-being of Charlie and the other guys is more important right now than who goes up front against CRC.

BB and the others will figure that out. Wanting to speculate on it is fine, but when we still don’t even know the whole situation and the impact, it just seems kind of cold to steer the discussion that way, and to act like that is what we should all be focusing on just seems to be lacking in empathy.

220. Ryan says:

Broken femur and tibula. Ugh, just terrible. Get well soon Charlie!

221. Nick says:

First of all my thoughts are with Charlie as well as the families of the other passengers.

Second, I would just like to note that several Mexican fans have shown incredible class in the comments section of this post.

222. s.p.c says:

++++ vibes++++ thoughts and prayers to everyone involved and their families. terrible news.

223. Joamiq says:

Alison, thank you for again coherently composing what we’re all thinking

224. Zack G. says:

According to the diligent work of Steven Goff and the great guys over at the Washington Post, Davies was NOT driving (taken from his on-going column today).

Moreover, according to Grant Wahl, the “possibly career-threatening” aspect of Davies’ injury has been withdrawn.

Lastly, DC news reported that it’s a broken femur and tibia.

Hope that helps.

225. Eric120 says:

Ryan, where did you get the details on the injuries?

If that’s correct, it’s not good. :(

226. alisonrose says:

Joamiq – If only you knew how hard it was for me to not include a few dozen curse words…but thanks for the kind words :)

227. roysterer says:

I don’t think the tibula is a bone. The tibia and fibula are the bones of the lower leg.

228. HomeyBoehme says:

@Erica120 – on the offside rules there is link to the local ABC affiliate…those were the injuries they reported

229. roysterer says:

Wow, I was thinking it was Ryan, but no, it’s the news that got the name of the bone wrong.

230. Yinka Double Dare says:

I have a friend who actually managed to break his femur playing soccer. That’s a long, long recovery, especially since he also busted his tibia — either he’s broken both weight-bearing bones in one leg, or he’s busted on in each leg. Either way, you’re in a cast and not walking for a few months to let the femur heal (the tibia is smaller and should be faster), and then you have to do a bunch of rehab because your muscles atrophy in that time, since they pretty much have to immobilize the leg and keep you off of it for at least a couple months. And then once you get the muscles strengthed you have to get your conditioning back. It’s a long process.

I’d be shocked if he’s back on the field in less than a year. But at least he’s still alive to have the chance to resume his career and his life. Terrible that someone died.

231. Fan in Texas says:

This stinks.

Thoughts out to this women’s family and to Davies and the other injured individual.

232. ajrRSL says:

My mom always said nothing good happens after midnight….

233. Brent McD says:

awww man, this just totally sucks! could have easily been me in my younger days. get well soon, charlie!

234. Derek says:

I saw the news first on CNN, but it didn’t say who was hurt in the headline. Man, what an awful bit of suspense that was while I clicked on the link to see who was hurt.

Sucks.

235. brandon says:

A player to come back from a double break is Djibril Cisse, a french forward whose skill set is very close to that Charlie’s

per wikipedia

At Liverpool, Cissé scored 11 goals in 23 first-team games in all competitions for Liverpool in the 2004–05 season. He had only played 19 games for Liverpool when a tackle from Jay McEveley broke his left leg playing against Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park on 30 October 2004.

The injury he suffered from the tackle broke his tibia and fibula, physio Daryl Martin said “It could take six to nine months and the absolute worst-case scenario is 18 months, but on average it would be three or four months.”

Cissé later revealed that had it not been for prompt attention from the trainers at the stadium, he would probably have lost the leg below the knee.

He had pins inserted in the leg, and was expected to be out of action for the rest of the 2004–05 season. However, it was reported in late March 2005 that Cissé’s recovery had advanced enough to enable him to return to action by the end of the season.

236. Chris says:

I’d like to think that the day before a WCQ game, Davies wouldn’t be out getting drunk at 3am.

Furthermore, as much as we know, they could have been run off the road by a drunk driver. Or maybe just bad driving. Or they swerved to avoid a dog or whatever.

At least wait until there is some info before you start saying they were drunk driving.

This really sucks. It’s terrible that that poor girl was killed.

237. tsingletonvt says:

FWIW, when I was 24 (now 37) I broke my femur (among other things) in an auto accident. It was broken into four pieces and they placed a rod and four screws into my leg permanently. I was very lucky that my femoral artery was not hit.

Just being an average guy I was four months on crutches, but coaching soccer with minimal running a year later. Since then I have run 10 marathons in the low three hour range including two five days apart once. I lost some speed, but the only measurable thing I lost was range of motion. My right heel will never bend back to touch my leg/butt again. I am sure that Charlie will have access to better PT than I did, but it will be a lot of work.

Not trying to talk about myself and I have no idea about his injuries, but just felt I would share as I don’t know anybody else who has broken a femur.

238. wes says:

This is awful news. These situations make me sick,and it really puts everything into perspective.

It would be nice if we write letters or Get well soon cards to the hospital as he’s recovering. I wonder if that’s at all possible.

239. Chris says:

Just realized I got my days mixed up and he would have had a day in between last night and the game tomorrow night.

Either way, I’ll wait until there is some info…

240. ThaDeuce says:

“Broken femur and tibula. Ugh, just terrible. Get well soon Charlie!”
    Where did you hear that!??!!

241. Eric120 says:

@wes – that’s a good idea.

I do hope that we can eventually get an address where we can send get well soon wishes.

242. Derek says:

As to recovery, as an elite athlete, Charlie has a better chance to recover quickly, and recover completely. However, we don’t anything as to the severity at this time. At least he is alive, unlike his friend. It will take a lot of mental work as well.

Good luck Chuck.

243. abc says:

I think i will buy a davies jersey, whos with me?

244. SJ says:

Terrible tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families affected by this accident.

Wahl is reporting that CD is in serious condition after the surgery.

245. Eric120 says:

From GrantWahl on Twitter:

AP: Hospital lists Charlie Davies in serious condition following lengthy surgery this afternoon.

246. ThaDeuce says:

sounds nice abc

247. kevin says:

man really sad news, thoughts are with charlie and everyone else involved.

on a somewhat weird note, not sure if anyone here has seen goal 3 but basically the central event of the movie is a severe car crash involving the 3 main characters who are all soccer players. anyways i was watching that movie last night for the first time more or less exactly when this crash happened. weird.

regardless this is really tough news to find out.

248. leftcoastmetro says:

“Serious” means not “critical”, so as I understand it this confirms his life is not in danger. I’m no expert, though – any doctors out there please confirm.

249. wes says:

The supporter groups that go to the game tomorrow need to get a Charlie Davies chant/song going and videotape it. Throw it on his twitter

250. Matt says:

This is terrible news. I’m sick to my stomach. I hope this isn’t Bobby Hurley or Jay Williams like in its affect on Davies’ career.

251. Sandro says:

My prayers and thoughts are with everyone involved and most importantly with the family of the deceased. Terrible, terrible news.

252. wes says:

I work in patient care services at a hospital, serious is the norm when someone gets out of a surgery like this. Due to HIPPA laws, the information that comes out is going to be extremley slow. There isn’t going to be any speculation. There will only be information with certainty after extensive work done by the doctors.

253. futbolfam says:

Condolences first, you will be missed on the field Charlie Davies–best wishes

link to youtube.com

254. Andrew says:

This makes me sick to my stomach. Awful, awful situation.

255. Aquaman says:

Though both are terrible injuries, it may be better for his career that he just has broken bones. Ligament or tendon damage would have began to deteriorate his speed and reflexes. If the bones are set correctly and everything is still attached correctly, he will hopefully make a full recovery like Cisse, Eduardo and (hopefully) Samir Nasri too. We’re all pulling for you.

256. afc says:

Greg is reporting a broken tibia and fibula. He is in serious condition.

257. Joamiq says:

Alison, I probably had the same curses in my head…

Watching the news reports on ESPNews, I’m feeling even more emotional about this…

258. M Ortega says:

The Human body is so fragile and a car accident can cause so much demage to the back, neck, and brain. So lets all pray there is nothing neurologically demaged. Sure we can lament his possible loss to the USMNT but lets just hope he can walk, talk, remember, and use his limbs normally, if he plays soccer again, great. If not, how many of us can say he accomplished what he has in his brief national career. Heads up Charlie, get well.

259. Melanie says:

This was posted on the Houston Chronicle website at 628pm CST
    ARLINGTON, Va. — U.S. national team forward Charlie Davies was in serious condition Tuesday evening following a one-vehicle accident in which another person was killed.
    Davies underwent several hours of surgery at Washington Hospital Center Medstar. Hospital spokeswoman So Young Pak said Davies’ condition was serious but offered no further details.
    U.S. Soccer Federation spokesman Neil Buethe earlier said that Davies’ injuries were not life-threatening. The federation was expected to release a statement later in the evening.

Hopefully things for Charlie are better than they seem.

260. Mason says:

Allison-
    Firstly, I am not being cold about it. This is why I asked it so tentitively and then withdrew it when chastised.

Secondly, I don’t know about you, but I am perfectly capable of contemporaneously holding thoughts for the victims, and thoughts for the team in my mind. That you and others do not wish to discuss the latter does not mean that they go away.

261. rachna says:

from soccer insider

@SoccerInsider: Davies out of surgery, serious condition, more details after 9 p.m. ET (the team did have a curfew last night)

262. jim b says:

Man, this puts a knot in my stomach. First and foremost, our considerations and consolidations must go to the deceased. Charlie has become my favorite player. I’ve enjoyed watching him mature into the player he’s become. Hopefully someday we’ll get to see him do the stanky leg once again.

263. alisonrose says:

Mason – I understand that, and of course we are all concerned about the team as well, and what will happen with Charlie’s position and all that.

But a handful of other people had already come in seeming to care much more about who would replace him than about Charlie himself, and so it was getting a little bothersome. (For me, at least – I don’t mean to speak for anyone else.)

I am absolutely concerned about what this means for the team…but for me, the primary concern at this point is Charlie. I’m sure Ives will have a post up at some point with speculation about what this means for the line-up, etc etc, and that will be, I think, a more appropriate place to go into those discussions.

264. Northzax says:

Just from the facts at hand, we can infer that the worst injuries were skeletal and never immediately life threatening. The fact that he was taken to Washington Hospital Center implies this. Had the injuries been neurological or immediately life threatening, he would have been at either GW (the best trauma center in town and on the way to WHC, or Inova Fairfax, the only reason to take an crisis patient to WHC from there is medevac, an ambulance to GW would be faster at that time of the morning anyway.

Of course, he could have been taken to GW and then shipped to WHC for further surgery once stabilized.

265. alfj says:

What’s Freddy Adu doing tomorrow?

266. jai_brooklyn says:

This is devastating news. Hope Charlie makes a full recovery. He has so much talent and so much to offer for US football. Our prayers are with you, your family and the family of the deceased.

267. J says:

Freddy’s watching it on TV like I am.

268. jimmygreaves says:

Before everyone gets on a “must be DUI” kick, I’ve driven the GW many times and it isn’t really designed for modern traffic.

It’s old, narrow,windy with blind turns and blind hills, and everyone goes too fast. At night it’s even deadlier. There is a large local deer population. At night, you don’t need much help to get into a lot of trouble quickly. Very bad road. Condolences to the victims.

269. Mason says:

Look Alison. I asked. People said no. I said OK. You brought it back up.

If you had asked, instead of assuming, I would have said that I’d hate to be Bob for two reasons:
    1) I just lost my best striker for god knows how long in what appears to a horrific car crash,
    2) I have to convince the other 22 members of my squad to put that out of their mind and play tomorrows match against a spirited and desperate opponent.

One of these things is easy to deal with. The other is much, much harder. Which is which is left as an exercise to the reader, because there is apparently little left to say on this.

270. jimmygreaves says:

“Now back to my original point, who do we play at forward now if Charlie is going to be out???? Thoughts??? – Ryan”

Ryan,

You represent most everything that is wrong with America today. The minute or so I took to read your post and to now respond to it, is one tragically wasted minute of my life that I will never ever get back.

Come back when you grow up.

271. Mason says:

Agreed, Jimmy.

Awful road.

272. CAM000 says:

If it is indeed a broken femur; its a serious injury but as with most injuries, there are various degrees. When I broke mine (in a car accident), I was had a tempoary rod inside my femur for a year. For the first 4 months I was on crutches, then a cane, then nothing. Towards the end I was playing competitive soccer with the rod still in place. No long term impacts. But I was on the “mild” side of the injury.

PRAYERS are more helpful now then idle speculation.

273. Andrew says:

Just watched the video on ESPN, Lalas is absolutely crushed…sounds like he is on the verge of tears.

274. cenhildimcdn says:

hey i remember seeing a sweet poster barra brava had of ben olsens face. they should get something like that going for chuck

275. alisonrose says:

Mason – What you said was “I’d hate to be Bob, but OK”. It didn’t really sound like you were saying “OK, we don’t have to talk about it” or whatever. It sounded like a “OK, fine whatever”. I’m sorry if I inferred a tone that wasn’t there. And I didn’t “bring it back up”, I was responding because, as I said, it didn’t seem like you were putting it away, so to speak.

Anyway, anyway – I think we can all agree that we all care about Charlie, and are also all worried about the team and what this will mean for them. I think when it comes down to it, we’ve all got the same concerns – we’re just processing things differently.

276. warthog says:

Ryan,

Come back when you grow up.

++++++++++++++=
    another thing wrong with America: self righteous blowhards…Casey should get the start with altidore

277. Ryan says:

Who are we going to play is relevant because the US team has a match tomorrow. It is not too soon to ask. I represent what is wrong with America because I want to know what the team is going to do tomorrow and in the long term. This is a US soccer blog, and I want to talk about US soccer. For the record, I do think it is terrible that Charlie got hurt, that Ashley died, and that anyone suffered. You tell me where there is a memorial fund and I will give to it, but come on let’s talk about soccer. Stop posting messages that attack Mason or I because we want to talk about the US team on a US soccer blog site.

278. steve says:

Grant Wahl says Davies was not driving the car

279. Joseph D'hippolito says:

May God heal Charlie Davies and send compassion and wisdom to the family of the victim.

BTW, Rob, why are prayers pointless? They’re quite fitting for this kind of situation. They wouldn’t be fitting if they were the type that said, “God, I pray we beat (insert name of opposing team here) today.”

280. Martha c says:

He broke his curfew. This is why teams have curfews. I still feel bad for him but ultimatly he made his decision and now he’ll have to live with it. He picked breaking rules over being a shoo in for South AFrica he prob traded some funfor his career.

281. gino says:

Take it easy on all the posters who want to discuss who will be playing tomorrow night. Obviously our wishes are all with Davies and the other people involved. However, the reason any of us care, or even know about, this incident is because of our mutual interest in soccer. Yes, some things –make that many things — are more important than sport. However, accidents like this happen to regular people every day without most people even thinking twice about it.

Also take it easy on the driver. Could have simply fallen asleep.

282. Ryan says:

Thanks Gino

283. gino says:

Anytime man.

284. John1 says:

Let’s hope Charlie can recover. He’s a great talent. My prayers go out Charlie, his family, and the family of the deceased.

285. Mason says:

===

Look… Just realize that there’s no right or wrong way to react to tragic news or events.* Some people, upon something like this happening pour themselves into meaningful tasks for weeks to cope with it. Others take up meaningless ones, like organizing the sock drawer. Others don’t get out of bed. Most people are somewhere in the middle, but demanding a particular coping method from everyone isn’t just rude and illogical. It’s an impossible request. You’re perfectly free to tilt at that windmill if you so choose, if that’s how you want to deal with it, however.

*Obviously, being happy would be…. odd, and probably indicative of other issues.

286. Jon says:

Guys, I hate to say it, and don’t get me wrong that I am pulling for Davies and the driver and my prayers are with the girls family, but I’m relieved that Davies wasn’t driving the car. It’s just negative press that US soccer doesn’t need at this point of time.

287. futbolfam says:

Remember who scored in Mexico at the Azteca . . . yep, exactly . . . rYan you want answers, i’m sure tomorrow will bring about enough time for debate and banter,but today the “Soccer by Ives” blog grieves for its future Striker Davies!

Call BB, if you are that serious!

288. Nil says:

Just to clear up something mentioned earlier. Wahl does mention a curfew. Check back around 9EST

289. bigdeadbat says:

GW parkway is very easy to speed on. It’s also a nice route for folks coming back to Virginia from the DC bars. Why didn’t you just stay in Arlington Charlie??? I really hope it isn’t career threatening, but as for the game: Altidore w/ Casey. Future: Clint?

290. Nats fan says:

It’s old, narrow, windy with blind turns and blind hills, and everyone goes too fast. At night it’s even deadlier. There is a large local deer population. At night, you don’t need much help to get into a lot of trouble quickly. Very bad road. Condolences to the victims.

Posted by: jimmygreaves
    ———————————

Completely agreed. On top of all that it’s also not a very well-lighted road. The GW Parkway reminds me of the Schuylkill Expressway (nicknamed the “Sure-Kill Expressway”) in Philly. If you’re not familiar with the road you can also get distracted pretty easily with the gorgeous view of the Potomac as well, even at night. It was originally designed as a PARKway, not the major arterial road it’s become.

Condolences to everyone involved! What a horrific, sickening accident.

291. Krista says:

I have been upset about this all day. Thank you to every who has posted encouraging thoughts and prayers. It is nice to know so many people care about what has happened.

I wish accidents like this never happened. Too many young people die tragically and are robbed of a future.

I know Davies will be okay and fight his way back onto the pitch.

USA forever.

292. EDB says:

1) I think maybe Casey will be a solo striker with landon in a support role. Put torres on the left.

2) you only need to grieve for the girl who died, who most of you only acknowledge as an after thought.

3) I am kinda like Ryan and don’t get gutted over people I don’t know. Sympathies to the family of ashley but the other 2 are alive and should recover so sucks for them but at least they are alive.

293. Mason says:

futbolfam-

BB has bigger issues right now. He has to lead 22 men who are currently contemplating their own mortality. I doubt he’s picking up the phone for much.

294. Josh says:

Thoughts and condolences to everybody involved. This is terrible news, and I say that not as a soccer fan but as a human being.

295. Evan says:

NBC 7 in DC has a video report up from the evening news. He has a broken femur.

296. futbolfam says:

then mason and rYan, there is not $hit for you to worry about is there?

297. RLW2020 says:

so a guess a double break is the update. God I hope that we can heel up and rise above this! it will be a while but as a fan I will ready for him the second he is ready to step on to the grass. CD has the potential to be one of the best soccer players this nation ever saw and hopefully this is only a set back in what could be an incredible career. This year he grabbed the attention of many and gave inspiration to more that our team will be great.
    – Speedy and full recovery CD! always with us.

Now the rest of the team, win this game for CD and the rest of squad that is out.

298. AYPE0000 says:

Great point by Gino.

Nobody would even think twice about this accident if Charlie Davies was not involved with US Soccer.

So talking about US Soccer and the implications of this accident isn’t something we shouldn’t be doing.

Personally, look, it’s carnage, he got hurt, we are all very sad and devastated that it has happened. We are all even more traumatized that a young girl lost her life. My stomach has been turning all day, I FEEL what you all are saying.

299. gino says:

I agree completely with AYEPE0000. Particularly the first line.

300. futbolfam says:

I only agree to facts, so gino you are being mislead. Davies is part of US Soccer, so no need to think twice.

301. Never First says:

For those blaming Bradley:

“The players were subject to a team curfew Monday night, Buethe said, and Davies apparently was in violation. There was no mandatory team function until lunch on Tuesday, so officials were not aware of the accident until 11 a.m., just as Davies’ surgery was about to begin. Bradley informed the players of the news as they gathered for lunch.” (AP)

302. Brett says:

“But whether it be today, or a month from now, you are going to be discussing lineups for the USMNT, and with a game taking place in ~24 hours, losing arguably your best forward, I do not see this as an inappropriate time to discuss this.”

But is this an appropriate place? I think the well-wishers got here first, so the topic should probably stay on that in this thread. The guy just nearly died and people want to talk about who replaces him already?

Perhaps there should be a new topic post by Ives or one of his minions.

Now that I’ve shown I’m sincere, I will say that Bradley picked a very good time to get Holden some action, because I’d be shocked if Dempsey isn’t moved into his forward role permanently. But who has the most to gain with Davies out? Freddy Adu. If he can get some playing time and show up fit and ready to go, he’s a great replacement for Davies if we get the U-20 World Cup version of Freddy Adu. What will Bradley do? Probably more heavy doses of Brian Ching and Conor Casey. But man, how nice would it be for Brian McBride to make a comeback. If we have to play with a pure target man… Ah, I can dream.

303. Max G says:

I don’t know if there’s anything I can add that hasn’t been said already here. I offer you this though:

If you’re still at work, go home tonight and tell your wife/parents/child you love them.

If you are home, go off the computer and SBI for a minute and do the same thing, if you haven’t done so already.

This is a moment to not only communicate with our fellow USMNT supporters, but with loved ones in our own lives.

304. Dannyc58 says:

Andy in Atlanta,

Didn’t see your previous post before my last one. Just frustrated by the news, didn’t mean to offend you–just shaken. Sorry.

Surprised how much I’m still affected by this…

305. AYPE0000 says:

Listen, I can’t stress enough my feelings and emotions towards this accident and it’s effect on the family friends of the young girl who died. It is devastating to even imagine something happening to someone I know.

“But is this an appropriate place?”

This is an internet blog based around US Soccer, this is not the hospital waiting room, or a funeral service. So if it’s location, then this is absolutely fundamentally THE place that this issue will be discussed (now or the future, it is the place), and the unfortunate implications of having a game in ~24 hours lead it to being an appropriate time.

Now the argument would be if it should be discussed at all. It seems to have been confirmed that Charlie Davies will survive, so I believe it is something worth discussing. I would like to get a consensus of the national opinion of our best options to replace such a vital forward for a match taking place, again, tomorrow, ~24 hours from now.

306. NOLA soccer fan says:

sad to hear…

its gonna be awhile before we see the stanky leg again

307. AYPE0000 says:

Brett,

Poor action by me, I failed to read the continuation of your post. Although my reply is what I think about the situation, it is something that needed not to be said.

308. JoeW says:

1. My information is that neither Davies or the deceased were driving–both were passengers. The third un-named person in the car was the driver.

2. Too difficult to speculate on the seriousness of the injuries. I know someone who broke a tibia and recovered quickly. I know someone else who “broke” a tibia in a car accident but in reality part of it was crushed, there were many small fragments, she ended up with one leg shorter than the other and never did any serious athletics again (was an extremely good college volleyball player). There is just too much of a wide range here in terms of the extent of the injuries.

3. I was wrong when I reported there was no curfew. There was a team curfew. But the team breakfast was optional which was why Davies was not missed with his absence.

309. This Guy says:

I had a good friend break his femur in 2 places. An open break. He was walking in 4 weeks and running in 16 weeks. That was 2 years ago and he is currently hiking the beautiful mountains of Afghanistan on his 2nd tour.
    ChuckDeezy will be back, if he chooses to be. I’m just glad it wasn’t worse for him than it was. Femur breaks can splice arteries leading to a quick death or internal bleeding can lead to amputations.

I wish all involved could have came out that lucky but to live is to die. I don’t mean that in any rude way either.

310. Ryan says:

Mason,

Apparently, we are not the only ones who want to talk about how Davies injury hurts the teams and how the team needs to move forward.

link to sportsillustrated.cnn.com

311. doug says:

Can anyone confirm this as the address to send a Get Well Soon Card?

Washington Hospital Center
    110 Irving St. NW
    Washington DC 20010

312. gel65 says:

broken femur and tibula,hes gonna need a miracle to get back.

313. madmax says:

local news report
    link to wjla.com

314. This Guy says:

broken femur and tibula,hes gonna need a miracle to get back.

Posted by: gel65

This isn’t 1984. Full recoveries are the norm in the modern day.

315. N-Whit says:

My stomach sank when I read this article. Prayers to out to Charlie, his family and to the other two people involved in the wreck.

From someone who has been involved in prosecuting deadly drunken driving accidents, I hope no alcohol was involved.

316. Ryan says:

One things is for certain, we will not see him play in the Cup. I mean are looking at Jozy/Ching pairing or even a Conor Casey pairing. Does Cunningham’s form warrant a call up. We are going to miss that speed.

317. Paulie Walnuts says:

My thoughts and prayers are with all involved. Just a horrible tragedy. He’s only 23 so I believe the physical rehab won’t be as much an obstacle as the psycholgical will be.

318. steven says:

certainly the recovery and comeback of eduardo will provide some inspiration for charlie. technically different injuries, but similar nonetheless. doubt hes back for the cup (6-12 months makes it a long shot possibility) but his career looks like it wont be over, which is great news.

319. Al_OC says:

Regardless if it’s appropriate or not to discuss tomorrow’s line up (personally, I think is inappropriate), please look at the title of this blog: “Davies injured in deadly car accident in DC”. It’s not “Who should play in Davies’ place”

There you go, whoever discussing possible line-up is OOT. Maybe you guys can ask Ives to start a new thread.

320. Mike says:

My condolences to the family who lost a loved one, and wishing a speedy recovery for CD. But that kind of injuries is not something you just bounce back from. He’s probably out until start of 2011-12 season at best.

And the GW Parkway is a nightmare especially at night. It’s darker than any city street or highway, mostly because it’s located through a national/state park. It’s winding and distracting… there’s a lot of deer in the area. I only use it when driving to Dulles airport.

321. Alex says:

looks like Grant Wahl’s twitter updates posted on here have been deleted

322. Jay in Charlotte says:

man… that sinking feeling ive had since i first read about the accident has more than doubled. i feel so sick, and it has nothing to do with soccer… just the thought of what Charlie might feel when he comes to and starts asking questions, starts realizing what’s happened. i hope he can find perspective and move on…

323. Tetsuo says:

I think Davies will be back for the cup his fitness is great his recovery might be between 5-8 months but it is still great to see that his career isn’t over

324. Alex G says:

During the course of the day, i’ve been reading everyones comments, this are really sad news, and I believe in CD, I believe this will endure his spirit and make him a warrior, we have to be positive and send good vibrations to Charlie’s family and to the families involved in this tragic incident and Ryan, nothing is certain, he can play in the Cup, I have a lot of faith in every Nats player or prospect player.

325. Mason says:

===
    You can stop right there, because the rest of your post is you attempting to project your reaction onto others. If you don’t want to discuss things other than condolences and recovery, you don’t have to.

326. Mason says:

then mason and rYan, there is not $hit for you to worry about is there?
    ===

Don’t know what you’re saying, but there’s still a match tomorrow.

You’re just being a dick for the heck of it, ain’t ya?

327. Al Czervick says:

Prayers for the victims. Appreciate your loved ones and appreciate every day on the planet because you never know when your number is up.