A video tribute to Charlie Davies

Charlie Davies 7 (ISIphotos.com)
                                                           Photo by ISIphotos.com

As U.S. men's national team players and fans continue to cope with the devastating developments of Charlie Davies' car accident, it is still tough for many to deal with the sad state of affairs that now has the young star striker in a Washington D.C. hospital, facing an uncertain future after barely escaping the accident with his life.

Soccer seems trivial to think about considering Davies' condition, and the fact that a young woman died in that same accident, but Davies' fans are holding on to the memories of Davies' sublime skill and magnetic personality as they hold out hope that he will be able to recover and continue a career that was in the midst of so much success.

SBI reader Jay Bell has made a routine of putting together high-quality video tributes with U.S. national team themes and he delivers this beautiful piece dedicated to Charlie Davies that U.S. fans are sure to enjoy.

Here is a video tribute to Charlie Davies:

What do you think of the video? Feeling confident that Davies will make his way back? Would you like to see videos like these become a regular staple on SBI?

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

68 Responses to A video tribute to Charlie Davies

1. This Guy says:

When you watch this video, take a look at some of the others the poster as upped. He makes some nice vids. I like the Stu tribute the best myself, excluding this new CD9 vid.

2. mwc says:

The start of the video really reminds you of how much speed he had and how much the USMNT lacks now at the forward position. It is so unfortunate that CD was injured right when he was starting to blow up.

3. Paul D says:

Love the video and would like to see more on the blog. It is still way too early to think about Davies playing career, but I think we all know that he will work his tail off trying to come back.

4. baldguy says:

Other than the story with the extent of his injuries, have there been any other more details surrounding the accident? Is it naive to think they will be released?

5. Rick_S says:

Excellent video. I would love to see more of these on your blog Ives!

6. Sergio of SF says:

Very unfortunate that Davies was injured at such a high point in his career. I hope he recovers and is able to compete again. I would have loved to see the duo of Davies and Altidore establish itself before the World Cup.

7. Red Devil in DC says:

Watching that actaully gave me goosebumps after being at RFK on Weds. When we scored in the 90th I have never experienced a celebration like that ever!! (and I was at the 1-1 draw with Italy in Germany) IT WAS INSANE.

Get well soon my friend.

8. Jason says:

Get Well Soon Charlie!

on another note, USA U-17 World Cup Roster
    link to fifa.com

Where are Renken, Lledge, and Gyau?!?!!

9. me says:

i feel like it is silly to think he weill ever come back…sry to be a downer but to me i feel like that is the end of his career…

10. angler23 says:

Anyone seen an update on his condition for today?

11. CrispyST3 says:

Sick video,

however i couldnt help but notice that one of the players on the U-17 roster

plays for Birmingham City in England, thats pretty sick, William Packwood is his name, hopefully this starts becoming a trend for our young US players, going to academies or coming from European teams

12. Austin Floridia says:

with davies, onyewu, demerit, and jones out for Denmark this is who is see being called up…..

Altidore, Jozy

Howard, Tim

Marshall, Chad

Rogers, Robbie

Spector, Jonathan

Thornton, Zach

Torres, Jose Francisco

just created last night….whats everybody think?

13. Oranje Mike says:

When the clips of the Costa Rica match began I was thinking this video was made to show how much this team misses and needs him. I guess it’s really about the team coming back to gain a point and put a few away for Charlie.

I’m happy to read, from some of the later reports, that there is still hope for his career. It would be so sad to see it come to an end so soon.

We all support you, Charlie and hope to see you grace the pitch wearing the USA crest once again.

14. Matt Mathai says:

I really hope he has an uneventful and speedy recovery. After that, I hope he can come back to soccer. Being as young and fit as he was is a HUGE advantage, but injuries as severe as his make a return to top-level international competition pretty unlikely. Even if he does make it back, I’d be surprised if he has the speed or quickness he used to.

I really hope he proves me wrong over the next 18 months, but I’m worried that the USMNT has seen the last of Charlie Davies. That’s very sad.

15. Famos1 says:

Great video! Would love to see more like it. Robbie Rogers posted on twitter this morning that he was going to see Charlie. It’s hard to speculate anything from it, but does that at least mean he might be somewhat responsive?

16. CrispyST3 says:

thats alot of guys Austin, its just a friendly, take Zach Thornton, Jeff Cunningham, Danny Califf, Edu (maybe) off of that list, also maybe Edgar Castillo, even tho i believe he shuld be there, im not sure Bob Bradley will bring him

17. quakesfan1 says:

We miss you Charlie!!!!! Get well soon!!

USA!USA!Davies!!DaviesUSA!USA!Davies!!Davies

18. Tim says:

@CrispyST3 I’m pretty sure they are planning a second europe that is to be played in Europe as well, so a 23 man roster is good. And Edgar Castillo is in his list. It was hard for me to find him on his list too.

19. CrispyST3 says:

yahhh, i guess you’re right Tim, maybe that Netherlands game, or we might get another team as well

20. Eugene says:

I think he will be back. People have come back from pretty awful broken bone injuries and recovered their careers. I think Charlie will be one of them.

21. Dman says:

Charlie will be back…. see previous example

At Liverpool, Cissé scored 11 goals in 23 first-team games in all competitions for Liverpool in the 2004–05 season.[15] He had only played 19 games for Liverpool when a tackle from Jay McEveley broke his left leg playing against Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park on 30 October 2004. The injury he suffered from the tackle broke his tibia and fibula, physio Daryl Martin said “It could take six to nine months and the absolute worst-case scenario is 18 months, but on average it would be three or four months.”[21] Cissé later revealed that had it not been for prompt attention from the trainers at the stadium, he would probably have lost the leg below the knee.[22] He had pins inserted in the leg, and was expected to be out of action for the rest of the 2004–05 season.[23] However, it was reported in late March 2005 that Cissé’s recovery had advanced enough to enable him to return to action by the end of the season.[24]

This indeed happened on 13 April 2005 when Cissé came on as a substitute in the 75th minute of the second leg of Liverpool’s Champions League quarter-final tie with Juventus.[25] He went on to score both Liverpool goals in their last Premiership match of the season, a 2–1 win over Aston Villa,[26] and also converted a penalty in Liverpool’s penalty shootout win over AC Milan in the 2005 Champions League final.[27] During the 2005–06 season, Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez deployed Cissé on the right wing on numerous occasions.[19] While his pace made him well suited to such a role, it was questioned whether he would be happy continuing to be used in this way rather than in his preferred position as striker.[12] He scored two goals as Liverpool won the 2005 UEFA Super Cup. Cissé also scored the opening Liverpool goal in that season’s FA Cup final with a sliding shot past West Ham United keeper Shaka Hislop. Liverpool eventually went on to win the FA Cup on penalties.

22. DC Josh says:

Charlie WILL come back. He is too much of a bull to not fight his way back on to the pitch.

Read this article the Miami Herald wrote about him on Oct. 7th:
    link to miamiherald.com

He is a brute, he will be back.

23. marksonm says:

i would like to see more of these videos on SBI.

although ives, if you are gonna do more of these i would say you have to only select the best/your favorite ones, because if you put up too many of these and we might as well have been browsing youtube ourselves.

pick the notable entries that maybe dont have as many views as you think it should.

or if something makes them more pertinent to US soccer kind of stuff, like this one.

24. gj says:

Who was wearing the #9 in the video? I just say it when players were jumping on top of Bornstien after he scored.

25. ELAC says:

Im calling it right now: HE’S COMING BACK. Maybe not 2010, but he’s coming back.

Don’t lose hope Sochaux or USMNT fans.

HE’S COMING BACK.

26. Zac in Indy says:

Good video. I miss him already. He’ll be back.

27. CrispyST3 says:

You can turn a football player into a soccer player, but its alot tougher to turn a soccer player into a football player, thanks DC Josh for that one

28. Brett says:

I don’t get the video… Our “tribute” to him is a 2-2 draw? It was cheeseball city if you ask me. I like the thought though, just wish it had more actual Davies highlights and less mediocre plays in slow motion. Why in the world is Conor Casey skying an open shot a part of a tribute video anyway?

But, I digress… Get well Charlie. Hope you can make a comeback in time for the 2014 cycle. I’ve got a feeling his road back to regular 1st team football is going to be rougher than many of us want to admit.

29. joel says:

yup i miss him already myself…well lets
    see what happens with our striker options..

30. CrispyST3 says:

Brett, its symbolism, you can interpret it different ways but i understood it,

I guess paying attention in English class pays off eh? haha

31. Charlie says:

Love it

32. Fred says:

Ives! I really like Dman’s comment above. How about a piece on players who have or have not come back from similar injuries? Also, any more details on Davies’ recovery over the last two days?

33. Bryan says:

“(SBI-Actually, the plan is to have a video person who does these specifically for SBI, not posting random videos on a regular basis.)”

LOVE that idea.

34. bob says:

did he die or what?

cut out the tributes.

35. Second City says:

Love the idea and the source of where this is coming from but I’m with Brett, on this one.

It left a lot to be desired and lacked a sincere cohesive direction with some questionable clips in there.

You’d be hard pressed to find someone as disappointed and saddened by the recent events, than I, but let’s put some more thought into them before we put together a collage, please.

You asked what we thought, this is just my opinion.

36. sandog says:

A tribute? … Aren’t you being a bit melodramatic? He survived a terrible accident and should recover in about a year. That’s it. Next Item… Did you see the grass and seats at Red Bull Arena? Very nice.

37. smokeminside says:

Robbie Rogers was #9, I think.

38. cjbrown says:

Posted by: Brett | October 16, 2009 at 05:49 PM

Umm, cuz Charlie would have buried it?

39. smokeminside says:

Dman thanks for the info, and I’m as hopeful as anyone, but the injuries are different. Davies broke his femur and one of his lower leg bones (sorry, I can’t remember which one).

I hope he comes back strong…

forgive this digression but it’s hard to figure out why his story is so compelling for some, and ho-hum for others. I’ve been distracted by his accident all week, but then I’m pretty sentimental….there are some photography commercials I get teary-eyed over.

40. Tom in Round Lake says:

Ives, I would love to see more of these kinds of videos, from this guy or others.

41. Brett says:

“Brett, its symbolism, you can interpret it different ways but i understood it,
    I guess paying attention in English class pays off eh? haha”

English class? Did I miss something? Is this literature and not some amateur montage? This is not symbolism. Symbolism implies deeper meaning; a theme that goes beyond face value to reveal an underlying and universal truth. This is a soccer footage tribute for a soccer player. There is nothing subliminal about it.

42. Austin Floridia says:

CRISPY…..im not arguin with you, but 23 is the average amount taken for a friendly

Bob also needs to see what options he has with all of the injuries to key players lately….thats why i added players like cunningham or edu who are either in great form or coming back from injury to see if they are able to compete internationally at this point in time

P.S….Califf is probably US’ most experienced danish league player out there, it would be smart to put him on the list….and i also added him b/c i really just dont believe Goodson,Hejduk, and Conrad can contribute to the team starting anymore(maybe besides hejduk)…..opfcourse you know calling castillo in is the right thing on top of it

this was just my opinion if i was the USMNT manager, Bradley’s opinion could verywell be alot different when it comes to Denmark

43. Kyle says:

Wow, I know soccer is trivial in the wake of a death, but man that video reminded me how much we are gonna miss him. The US has never had a forward like that (I didn’t say a forward as good, just not as good at his style). Get well soon man. Can’t wait to see that stanky leg in Brazil…

44. CrispyST3 says:

Well duhhh, obviously this isnt literature, but my class has helped me see things more symbolically, He put that clip in there because that game was in honor of Charlie, and how great it wulda been if Conor scored that goal at the 9th, and also what another guy said, Charlie would have buried that, and besides its just a video, if you don’t like it then why don’t you try making one that can top that and provide us with sum nice Charlie Davies highlights, i was being chill about it, dnt see why u had to come at me with such a douche way

45. St. Addiiken says:

Did they ever say who was driving the car? Or are we just to assume it was a Kennedy at this point.

46. Second City says:

Posted by: CrispyST3 | October 16, 2009 at 07:19 PM
    – – – – –

Correct me if I’m wrong but you called out Brett, not the other way around & for nothing more than stating his sincere opinion. Please don’t suddenly play the victim in your proposed scenario, Crispy.

Let’s relax with the divisive name calling about something SBI asked our opinion about and keep it civil & give some respect to a difference of opinion.

In the end, there’s no purpose and one doesn’t need a ” class ” to help realize that point.

47. tom says:

Video got off topic by showing to much RFK action but overall it was nice and a good idea.

48. tom says:

Crispy, many football players started as youth soccer players in our area.
    W.PA / NE. OH

49. CrispyST3 says:

tom, yah, i didnt mean in America, cuz we kinda grow up with both sports, i meant around the world, other than america, Davies is a perfect example, i was watchin one of his highlight videos and he trapped a ball, then the defender knocked him down, but he got up as quickly as he touched the ground then scored a goal, i think he got that toughness from football as he says, had that been sum1 else, they would have stayed on the floor and waited for a whistle or sumthing,

Second City- i understand i “called him out” but i wasnt trying to ignite anything, or any argument, i was just trying to defend the man that made the video, maybe you guys missed it but the “english class” and the “haha” was just put there so that Brett understood that it wasnt anything personal and that everything was all good

that said, moving on

50. Peretz48 says:

Very inspiring video. As for Davies coming back, who knows? It’s just too early to know. My wanting him to come back doesn’t mean it will happen. On the other hand, for those who are sure he’ll never play soccer again, how do you know? Or is it just a premonition?

51. fan4usa says:

Incredible video. Well done! It would be great to have more videos like this in the future.

Will Davies come back? I really hope so. No matter what, he will be in the hearts and minds of the US players and fans. Certainly a source of inspiration we need for a fantastic World Cup 2010.

52. Brett says:

“i was being chill about it, dnt see why u had to come at me with such a douche way”

Well, for future reference, when you attack someone’s intelligence they tend to react. Your statement about “paying attention in English class” obviously implies some lack of intellect on my part.

In any case, you seemed to miss my point altogether. If this game was a “tribute” to Charlie, it was a pretty poor one. A 2-2 draw at home to a team that got spanked by Mexico both home and away. Sure we showed some fight to earn the 2-2 draw, but a fitting “tribute” would have been, oh I dunno, a WIN. This was a game that displayed exactly why Charlie Davies will be so sorely missed. Had the game ended 2-1, would it still have been a “tribute”? I doubt it.

Moving along, I’m sorry if you felt attacked or offended, but maybe in the future you should just state why you disagree with my opinion instead of taking thinly veiled shots at my, or anyone else’s intelligence.

53. Areign says:

recover, return. we’ll be waiting.

54. Dave says:

Well done with the video. Ives – as long as you can come up with quality videos such as this, then yes, keep the videos coming.

55. Medio Tiempo says:

As much as we want Chuck D to make it back, we have to be realistic. He could have died, he broke the largest bone in his body, and what made him so special was his speed. Lets just hope he will be able run again…

56. nico says:

I have faith he will be back sooner than expected.

57. castroviejo says:

too much speculation at this time. until we actually know what injuries he sustained we wont know the post operative progression.
    if his ankle fracture was open and comminuted or if he had nerves or arteries lacerated this could be big trouble.

he had a femur, tibia ,arm and facial fractures.

until we know how bad these are we wont know how he will progress.

if the ankle fracture involved the joint it will cause traumatic arthritis which will decrease the mobility of the joint.

so we will just have to wait

58. Chosun says:

I think everyone is taking the injuries way too seriously. I had originally heard that he broke his tibia and fibula, and the femur is obviously a much larger bone. That being said, he’s only 23, and in top physical shape. I see no reason why he can’t return to 100%. My brother broke his femur at the same time I broke my fibula, and it definitely sucks, but we’re both able to play soccer, skateboard, etc. Granted we’re not playing anywhere near the level of Davies, but we’re also over 12 yrs older than him. I honestly feel that my fibula is damn near indestructible now (I’ve got a metal plate), and my brother’s femur isn’t going to have problems anytime soon (he has a metal rod in the bone).

I’m not trying to compare my injuries with Charlie’s, but medical treatment is very advanced, and the kid is in amazing shape. He’ll be back, full force, soon enough. Good luck Chuck D!

By the way, I love the Public Enemy-style poster at the game.

59. Nathan says:

Ill son. Thanks for this. And…he will rise again.

60. Leonardo says:

Chuck D is da ish. who cares about his career or anything else – thank God he’s alive. that’s the most important. one step at a time mayn, one step at a time. you’ll get there. we believe in u Charlie Davies!!!

61. Hush says:

I was googling some serious injuries regarding x-treme sports such as,biking,snowboarding,skateboarding,air gliding, etc… all with similar injuries to Davies injuries, shoot, some much worse. I was happy to hear that most tibia, fibula, and femur injuries are not 100% career threaning according to the information of players making it back at full force. Some made it back in 7 to 8 months because of their physical fitness and medical attention. Some of these guys were actually in their early 30’s and mid 20’s! YEehaaa! Great news.

You heard it here first, CHUCK D will be back around June hitting soccer balls!… I know this…

62. OmarVizquel says:

All this talk about people recovering from on-the-field broken legs is missing the point. Charlie had massive internal injuries as well (not to mention the mental trauma of being involved in a deadly and horrific car accident) — there’s no telling when he’ll be back to playing form. Even if he does get back on the field, the soccer tragedy for Charlie is that he will have lost several of his prime playing years, and a 100% shot at starting in next year’s World Cup.

Playing in South Africa would have been a magnificent chance for him to showcase himself for top, top clubs. If and when he actually does get back on the field for Sochaux, he’ll need to retake his spot in the lineup, which will be terribly difficult (b/c one would assume the club would find a replacement for the next few seasons).

Aside from the tragic real-world elements of this crash (and of course they outweigh any soccer-related minutia), this was a blow to Charlie’s career trajectory that I really don’t think he’ll ever be able to fully recover from.

I really think he’ll get back on the field at some point, but the missed World Cup and club time will be a huge blow.

63. Austin Floridia says:

omar……i agree, but lacerated blatter was only internal injury

64. Victor says:

It was a good video but when the game tying goal was scored and the play leading up to it you should have just cut the music to hear the announcers call then and after it went in. Anyways though it was a good video!

65. jimmygreaves says:

It is too soon to really know but, if the primary issue is just his broken leg, their is a long history of players with bad leg breaks coming back (most recently Eduardo, Cisse, and most notably, Henrik Larsson). The minuses are obvious but on the plus side is his youth, great condition and presumably, the best medical care available. In addition, Davies is a pretty driven young man and I have to assume he will really want to get back.

66. ptk says:

Great work

67. NOLA soccer fan says:

Hey Ives,

Heres a question…During the whole Gooch incident, AC Milan is raising a huge fuss over his injury

But with Davies we havent heard anything from France. are they mad, are they sad as all of us are…What is going on in the land of wine and Eiffel Towers

68. Daniel Seco says:

Has anyone been able to find a photo of the Charlie Davies/Chuck D poster that was displayed at RFK Stadium?