Who should Bob Bradley call in vs. Mexico?

USAvsSpain (ISIphotos.com)

Photo by ISIphotos.com

The U.S. men's national team's World Cup qualifier against Mexico in Estadio Azteca will take place exactly a week from now and while we know what players Mexico has brought in for the match, we still haven't heard who the United States will be calling in.

That should change on Thursday, when we are expected to find out what players U.S. coach Bob Bradley will turn to in his attempt to snap the U.S. team's winless funk in Mexico. Some of the players on the list are easy enough to figure out, such as everybody in the above picture (the starting lineup vs. Spain in the Confederations Cup for those of you wondering).

That leaves about nine more spots for a 20-man roster. So who else might we see? Here is a potential 20-man roster:

Projected USA roster vs. Mexico

Goalkeepers- Tim Howard, Brad Guzan

Defenders- Oguchi Onyewu, Carlos Bocanegra, Jay DeMerit, Jonathan Spector, Steve Cherundolo, Chad Marshall, Jonathan Bornstein

Midfielders- Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Ricardo Clark, Benny Feilhaber, Jose Francisco Torres, Stuart Holden

Forwards- Jozy Altidore, Charlie Davies, Brian Ching, Kenny Cooper

I was torn between adding one more defender or Cooper, so it wouldn't shock me if Clarence Goodson or Dan Califf got the call ahead of Cooper. Kyle Beckerman is also someone we could see. Jonathan Bornstein edges out Frankie Hejduk for the last defender spot (I originally included Hejduk, but Bornstein is a natural left back option whose speed makes him a viable back-up).

The U.S. team will convene in Miami on Sunday for a three-day camp before departing for Mexico City on Tuesday, the day before the qualifier.

What do you think of this group? What players would you like to see on the list who aren't on it?

This entry was posted in Confederations Cup, Mexican Soccer, U.S. Men's National Team, World Cup Qualifying. Bookmark the permalink.

159 Responses to Who should Bob Bradley call in vs. Mexico?

1. Colin says:

screw Cooper, bring in Eddie Johnson…

2. brad says:

This is the team that will beat El Tri… I can feel it!!!

3. jim b says:

Sounds like Jozy’s gonna be racking up some frequent flyer miles. Press conference tommorow, fly back for Nats, 1st game with Hull on the 15th. Damn that’s a busy schedule.

4. Brian-Indy says:

Heyduk and Cooper will not be there, Bornstein should be brought in for cover at left back in my opinion but I think everything else is spot on.

5. Dominghosa says:

Bradley brought Pearce along for the Confed Cup and the Gold Cup, I think it would be pretty harsh not to include him in the WCQ.
    But yeah, would rather have Cooper or Beckerman in there than Pearce anyway.

6. Joe says:

Don’t think he’ll bring in Cooper, he knows Coop needs to get to work at his new club. If he was a projected starter, I could see it. But to call him in as a 3rd or 4th choice would not serve anyone’s interests.
    My guess is either Pearce or, if he hasn’t landed at a club yet, Adu. Or Beasley, becuase Bob likes to tourture us all.

7. Jose A. V. says:

We need a LB backup, so take Bornstein leave Hjeduk

8. Wispy says:

I agree with Brian-Indy — we need some speed cover at LB in case Boca is getting torched by GDS or whoever else is playing on the right wing. Otherwise, Ives, I think that looks about right.

9. Brit says:

I think he keeps Gooch and Jay in the center and puts Carlos on the left and Jon on the right…it was a strong defense for us and it worked…

10. Brian-Indy says:

Please no Beasley, Pearce, or Adu…or anyone else from the Gold Cup except Holden and Ching.

11. Brian-Indy says:

And if I have to hear the announcers say “Gio” every 5 seconds I will have to throw my beer thru the TV…

12. EA says:

Might as well bring Pearce. He isn’t doing anything else, as far as I know.

13. TimN says:

This is probably pretty realistic. We need line up similarly to the way we did at the Confederations Cup. I think Bradley may have found the ideal combination in South Africa. Regardless, Mexico will be pumped in Azteca and coming in with a lot of confidence from the Gold Cup final, albeit unwarranted given the US side they beat. We’ll have to play VERY tough and execute the same way we did a month ago against Spain, Egypt, and Brazil.

14. Curtis Atkisson says:

I’m hoping that Hejduk doesn’t get the call. Frankly, I’m sick of watching him never able to control his first touch.

15. Blokhin says:

we need a natural left back on the roster- either Bornstein or Pearce get called in…

3 forwards is all we need, Donovan and Dempsey can always move up top if needed….

16. Dman says:

I just want to see the stanky legg if jozy or charlie score.

17. TGos says:

On a related note: when are these players required to report to camp, if there is a camp.

18. Jeff says:

Is Edu still hurt?

19. milkshake of despair says:

I’m concerned Altidore may not get called in now, so he can spend time with Hull. Which would be unfortunate. I’d prefer to see Jozy and Davies up front over Ching.

20. Jorge says:

@Brian-Indy,

I feel the same way. The kid is good but it does not mean he’ll be up to the challenge on August 12.

21. dantheblue says:

I say leave Bornstein home, move Boca to left back and give Goodson a look. I liked his work in Gold Cup until the meltdown v the FAKE “el tri”…

The REAL “El Tri” will win this particular match next week. Sorry Mexicans but the Gold Cup was an anomoly…

Arriba los Estados Unidos y NO se puede Mexico…

22. TimN says:

@Curtis Atkisson,

Agreed, Hejduk doesn’t have the best first touch, but his experience in this type of high pressure situation is invaluable. Do you really want Heath Pearce or Jonathan Bornstein back there under all that pressure making a critical giveaway?? I surely don’t. If we give up the first goal at Azteca, it’s over. Hejduk will assuredly play tough and lock things down on the left side, which is really all we need. Yes, Bornstein is able to make runs forward because of his speed, but they usually end up being ineffective. We have enough scoring options in Bradley, Donovan, Altidore, Dempsey, Davies, and Ching without needing a left back to make runs forward.

23. dantheblue says:

Is Edu still hurt?

Posted by: Jeff | August 05, 2009 at 03:29 PM

Jeff, he is set to see the pitch again in September…

24. primoone says:

Dont care about who he calls in really….But I do care about who starts. Having said that.

GK-Howard

DF-spector-Gooch-JayD-boca

MF-Demps-rico-bradley-LD

F -Josy,Davies

Mexico Pela…

25. BK says:

Altidore – Davies
    Donovan – Bradley – Clark – Dempsey
    Bocanegra – Onyewu – DeMerit – Spector
    Howard

Cooper, any other forward besides Ching, Feilhaber, Holden, Beckerman, Bornstein, Cherundolo, Guzan

26. Mighty says:

The Stanky Legg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeeeeaaaa!

27. I think this is going to be a landmark win over our most bitter rivals. Put me down for a 1-0 victory for the US

28. al says:

Eddie Johnson is looking awesome right now. Just sayin’. (Goal for Fulham today). I’d love to see Josy out there for sure. I’ve lost some confidence in Ching but he stepped it back up in that recent Houston match. Gotta find someone else for Cooper.

29. Rossi is Judas says:

Jeff, Maurice Edu is out until early September at the earliest. If he was healthy then he’d definately be on this roster.

I’m really curious to see who will start in the central midfield with Michael Bradley. Clark? Torres? Benny? Also does he start Davies and Altidore up top? Or does Ching reclaim his starting role? Do you push Bocanegra to left back and start DeMerit at central defense w/ Gooch? Is Spector the starting right back or will Cherundolo once again be the starter? So many questions…

30. Leonardo says:

call in everyone. and no one from the 5-0 squad.

31. dbex says:

@ Milkshake – couldn’t agree more about getting some altitude training in before Azteca. Denver would be good; something like Quito would be even better because it’d replicate the altitude AND the smog (almost). I’m only half-joking — always seems like we’re short of breath the second we step onto the pitch. I remember Donovan being interviewed before the ’05 Azteca qualifier and saying that the last time, he saw one of his teammates cough up something that looked like a brownie after 30 minutes of breathing that air. Hard to replicate that in Miami.

32. Dman says:

There is just something about jozy and charlie uptop together that seems so much more appealing than any other tandum. Charlie and Landy on the same side together would be tourture on that side of the D.

33. DingDong says:

Why not Edgar Castillo?

34. Raashid says:

throw in edgar castillo lol, he would get the figo at playing at real treatment

35. Fire BB says:

Please no ching, he’s a waste of a spot.

36. Sergio of SF says:

That would be a pretty solid roster. I think Pearce should be on the roster over Cooper. As a few people stated, Altidore, Davies, and Ching are sufficient. Holden definitely needs to be called into camp as well as Marshall. My ideal starting lineup would look something like this:

GK: Howard
    DEF: Bocanegra, Onyewu, DeMerit, Spector
    MID: Donovan, Clark, Bradley, Dempsey
    FWD: Ching, Davies

Subs used: Feilhaber, Altidore

37. N-Whit says:

Any news on whether Jones or Castillo are available?

38. RLW2020 says:

torres scores a goal as a sub in the 85th minute… all hell breaks lose in Mexico!

i hope jozy is ready to play.. all this traveling and lack of playing/practicing. if not BB should be quick to bring landon or dempsey up front and bring in any of our talented midfielders.

lastly i am excited to find out that I actually do have mun2 at home!

39. JohnnyB12 says:

I also agree about the lack of altitude training. In fact, it seems like a HUGE potential factor, esp when you consider that Mexico is coming in a full week ahead of the game, and training at altitude. We’re doing three days in Miami? Seems like a mistake.

40. shelDONOVAN. says:

why do we never hear anything about chris albright or even todd dunivant at lb?

there really cannot be that much of a difference in quality between them and jonathan bornstein!

41. Jon says:

how could you not want Ching in this game? His work rate and ability to hold the ball is absolutely what you need at a place like Azteca in a game like this.

42. Tim from Texas says:

edgar isn’t eligible yet i dont think

43. ELAC says:

Miami?

They should train at Big Bear, CA or Somewhere else in HIGH ALTITUDE.

We are playing above sea level, for chissakes!

44. David says:

Adu or Johnson over Cooper.

45. japan says:

Jon, it’s because people unfortunately look only at what he does when he gets the ball and what he does individually and don’t care what he does off the ball and for the team

46. Chris says:

We need altitude training. One of the reasons why we were able to tie Mexico in 1998 in Azteca was we trained at altitude for a week in Big Bear, CA.

47. harry says:

“I’ve lost some confidence in Ching but he stepped it back up in that recent Houston match. Gotta find someone else for Cooper”.-al

You see this is the problem, scoring goals in MLS dosent mean sh*t, both Ching and Casey score goals in MLS…and yet thy do nothing at the international stage..is it that suprising? when was the last time Ching played vs High quality like this 2-3 Years ago? or has it been never…..The problem is Bradley dosent reward Ching with more minutes cuz of his quality vs Quality on the international stage, Bradley rewards Ching minutes for what he does with MLS(apperntly a much over-rated league) and vs CONCACAF minnows. The word is Ching might start….and its depressing if it comes true.

and as for the subs,….i even would have Adu..if we are down a goal with a few minutes left..so Bob just tells Adu to just not do anything and just stay near the goal and try to score…..but if Adu is wayyyy to out-of-form for even that then i guess forget it.

48. sonicdeathmonkey says:

why do we never hear anything about chris albright or even todd dunivant at lb?

Posted by: shelDONOVAN. | August 05, 2009 at 03:55 PM

_________________________________________________

This could very well be the funniest thing I have ever read on this blog. Ever.

49. Coach Bradley says:

Dempsey
    Torres
    Rico Clark

Davies
    Altidore
    Cooper

This is only a one game situation, so no need for more cover\players.

If Ching couldn’t do squat against Mexico’s Gold Cup team on our own soil, why does anyone believe he’ll be effective at Azteca.

If Bradley starts anyone other than the starters for the win over Spain, he really should be fired. That’s our single best lineup, and it shouldn’t be changed.

Any of the “play conservative” nonsense needs to be thrown out the window. We need to win at Azteca and we need to see our best players on the field, of which guys like Hejduk, Ching, and Mastroeni are not.

50. Jeff M in Houston says:

Please no more Jonathan Bornstein. The guy is the embodiment of what is wrong when one goes for “athletes” at every position. That mantra is how one builds a team or fills a minor league up like in NFL or MLB. It is future oriented, not game oriented. JB is crappy at defense, in fact, I believe him to be allergic to it. His hustle is one-way only, rarely do I see him hustle like a banshee on fire to get back. After hustle, then we can hope for better position….but an athlete with a lazy attitude, please…. A Q – was it Joseph Francis Towers who played in front of him in the dreadful Chicago WCQ right before Confeds? Hmmm…perhaps JFT looking poor on the left is related to having a no-help partner. in the 07 Copa America, JB was torched repeatedly by Hernan Crespo, a guy not known for blistering pace. Rookie mistake like Beckerman and other guys at that tourney. But in 2 years, I have NOT seen JB hustle like Frankie H….Not a great player, but one would be pretty foolish to argue that Frankie H does not get back – regardless of his positioning.

51. shelDONOVAN. says:

why is that so funny sonicdeathmonkey?

dunivant seems to be playing pretty well with LA and chris albright is a decent player. i dont see how bornstein is any better than either of them?

theres no need to be rude about it.

52. Blokhin says:

keep Eddie Johnson where he is… he’s had his chances and until he becomes a consistent starter and scores in bunches,I don’t want to see him wearing a U.S. jersey again…

53. Andolini says:

I went to qualifiers for Italia 90 back when I was little, and I can’t believe how far we have come in terms of talent since then.

Ligue 1 starters — 2

EPL regulars — 4

Serie A players (including Ricardo Clark)–2

bundesliga starter — 1

Colaship captain — 1

Landon Donovan (u-17 WC golden ball winner)

54. Blokhin says:

what game did Johnson score in? the training session? Fulham plays tomorrow.

55. Michael Vann says:

Bob will bring the strongest 20 he can bring. It’s qualifier and a big one at that. most of the time Bob’s careful not to stain foreign relations with european clubs. But this is one time where he has the upper hand.

I’d love to see Bob go balls-to-wall with this attacking lineup:

———-Howard——

–Specs—Gooch—DeMerit–Boca

–Demps—Bradley–Benny—Donovan

———Jozy——Davies——-

Subs: Clark (for Benny), Ching for one of the FWs), Holden or Torres (for Demps)

But I think Bob will go with a more conversative lineup of:

——Howard——-

–Specs–Boca–Gooch–Dolo

–Demps–Clark–Bradley–Donovan

——–Ching—–Altidore—–

subs: Torres (for Demps), Feilhaber (for Clark), Davies (for Jozy)

I’d be fine with either line-up. It just depends on how conservative, on the road Bob wants to be.

56. Nutmegger says:

What is the latest on Jermaine Jones? NM

57. Jeff M in Houston says:

As for altitude training, as I understand the bio-chem of it, there is no improvement in performance by training at altitude for less than 2 weeks or so….So Miami is what it is – a gateway to MEX and Europe…However, keep in mind that next year will be played at altitude in 5 of the venues…only Durban and Cape Town are coastal. The Nats should definitely prep in CO Springs next May before the flight over…like an attack on Everest, one needs to be acclimated for it to make a difference.

58. JeffM says:

I’d really like to see Hejduk start this match. He’s got the best lungs of anyone in the USMNT pool, and fitness is at a premium when you play at Azteca.

59. Andy says:

Ives, why no Jones?

60. beckster says:

I bet Bradley brings in Beasley. I feel it in my bones. Cooper gives way to Bradley and I think you have the rest of them down pat.

61. shelDONOVAN. says:

Andy

i think most agree that jones wont be able to play for the us until sometime in october.

62. JK says:

I think Jermaine Jones is hurt. Plus, I don’t think he’s available ’til October (That’s the last I heard, but I’m not sure).

63. B says:

Hejduk’s out of the Crew’s Saturday game with a quad strain so I doubt he would even be match fit. No need to worry, Hejduk haters.

64. Connor says:

GK: Howard, Guzan

DF: Spector, DeMerit, Onyewu, Bocanegra, Cherundolo, Pearce, Califf

MD: Bradley, Clark, Feilhaber, Dempsey, Torres, Beasley, Donovan

FW: Altidore, Davies, Ching, Johnson

65. Laughing says:

The fact that someone asked for Albright and Dunivant, they should get a lifetime ban from even thinking about soccer. Next thing you know we will hear calls for Renken.

66. MiamiAl says:

If Hedjuk is healthy, he goes. How could you leave the one guy that has proved he is a complete pest to Mexicans and shows the heart and grit the US team sometimes sorely lacks…Plus he brings the Frankie “step over” that will be sure to wow the crowd…

67. Jason says:

Jones still hasn’t recovered from injury.

68. shelDONOVAN. says:

Posted by: Laughing | August 05, 2009 at 04:39 PM

69. Brian-Indy says:

Jones is hurt. Dunivant and Albright could barely even make the US team in 2005, and Bornstein is the ideal sub to come on in the 2nd half if we need cover at left back. You people thinking Heyduk or Pearce are better have clearly been smoking dope.

70. t29 says:

Makes no sense whatsoever to include Bornstein over Pearce, but all the sense in the world to include either of them over Hejduk. How that guy is still in the picture based on “lungs” but no skill is baffling – probably the same reasons Ching hangs around.

To say that Bornstein is a “natural left back” is ridiculous and is the type of thing that makes others question Ives’ credibility.

Would also love to add Goodson and Califf both, delete Marshall, and keep Cooper for Ching. But that’s anti-Bob.

71. john says:

Have to laugh at all the Ching haters. Hes more productive than any of our other forwards from MLS, including Cooper, and has the experience that Jozy and Davies dont. Plus, he knows all the players and has been in the lineup for years, which is invaluable.

72. ELAC says:

ALTITUDE TRAINING!

It wouldn’t hurt. Can we train in Mexico City instead of Miami?

73. casadelqueso says:

Agreed on no Cooper. He needs to settle in at Munich, and he would never be used anyway. Bradley would move Donovan or Dempsey up front before putting Cooper in.

74. Jorge says:

As for Jones and Castillo, the clown in charge of the USSF said in an interview that they will not be available for selection until October.

75. Zack says:

Torres doesn’t work in our type of offense. He’s too technical! LOL! He would be great on a possession team. DO HIM A FAVOR AND DROP HIM!

I put Robbie Rogers back on the squad. He may be young, but he gets behind the defense and crosses the ball well. THINK WINGER!

Also, I’m saddened by the fact that Nate Jaqua hasn’t gotten a look by Bradley. He’s a post who’s creative on the ball. I’d much rather seem him than Cooper. Better head and better footwork. THINK UTILITY!

76. Mike says:

Mexico’s defenders, including Marquez and Salcido, all say that Ching is the toughest CONCACAF forward they’ve faced. I’m pretty sure they would know more about it than anyone on this blog, right?

77. Zack says:

OMG! A Jaqua Davies pairing would kick butt.

78. harry says:

Ching was a sub last year in WCQ even vs Barbados……..ever since Ching had a nice pass vs a Sweden “c” team……Bradley has been giving chance after chance when 95% of the time he does nothing even vs tiny competition. Im afraid that Ching starts over Davies or Altidore……..its a scary thought.

79. JoeW says:

I would put Beckerman on this squad. First, he’s a very versatile option and that’s important in case someone comes up lame. Second, more importantly, he’s ready to play at altitude–and that’s important.

80. Mike says:

Ching had a pretty sweet pass to Holden to set up Cooper’s goal against Honduras. Stop hating on Ching. He is invaluable.

81. Reid says:

I don’t understand how its a scary thought to bring Ching…. is he dymanic, no. But to be able to switch styles when subbing davies in late is perfect for catching a team off guard

82. JohnnyB12 says:

Jeff M: Thanks for the point about altitude acclimation. It sounds reasonable, but I still can’t help but think a few days at altitude prior to the game couldn’t hurt. Otherwise, why would the home team always have such an enormous advantage in these situations? Think Bolivia trouncing Argentina in qualifying earlier this year. In any case, here’s hoping the US rises to the occasion next week.

83. PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo says:

“i dont understand all the hate. can you give me a solid reason that makes jonathan bornstein a more viable option than either of those players?

Posted by: shelDONOVAN. | August 05, 2009 at 04:43 PM

Posted by: Brian-Indy | August 05, 2009 at 04:45 PM

Thanks Brian, Bornsteins speed is a fair assessment of why not Dunivant and Albright. and the only one I can come up with. Dunivant has played very well in the revamped Galaxy back line, he has a cultured left footed cross, is OK on D, plays smart. Would I bring him to Mexico? No.

But I’d give he might get a shot in later Q.

84. vreleven says:

Lets not forget Orozco; he is based in Mexico and would be of some value to the team if/when one of our defenders gets tired of chasing Gio or Vela.

85. Jason says:

The timing of this game makes altitude training hard. A trip to the west coast or even Denver adds a significant amount of travelling to a lot of these guys. And really 3 days at altitude will not mean much. Better to be as in shape as possible and rested.

86. davidaubudavid says:

i second the nate jaqua thought.

87. Terry says:

I want to see Ching start, next to Altidore or Davies.

Not because I love Ching (though I don’t mind him), but I want Bob Bradley to stick to his word about using players who are in form.

And nobody holds up the ball like Ching, which is a great combo for Altidore especially.

88. shelDONOVAN. says:

But I’d give he might get a shot in later Q.

Posted by: PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo | August 05, 2009 at 05:07 PM

thanks dude for someone finally seeing it the same way as i do. im not clamoring for him to be a starter in an important game, i just dont see why he doesnt ever get a look in clearly the weakest position.

89. Isaac says:

————-Altidore—-Ching—————

Donovan——————————-Dempsey

————-Bradley—-Feilhaber————

Bocanegra————————–Cherundolo

————-Onyewu—–DeMerit————–

——————-Howard——————–

If there’s ever a time to beat El Tri, this would be it.

90. Frankie for pres says:

Can’t leave Hjedude home, he owns Mexico and needs some revenge for that slap he got…

91. Chris S says:

@ELAC,

We don’t have enough time to train in Mexico City, as it takes about 2 weeks to fully acclimatize to the altitude. Back in Nov. 1997, when the US got a point in El D.F., Sampson had the team training in Big Bear, CA to get altitude training for 2 weeks, but he had the time because most of our players were in MLS and most were out of the playoff picture (in fact, the league could have already finished). BUT since we don’t have that same situation, or time, its probably best to swoop into Mexico City, and try to minimize the players exposure to the altitude. I was actually hoping they would fly in on Wednesday, the day of the game.

Either way, its going to be a hell of a match. No pain, No gain.

92. jpc says:

- I’m not sure Miami is the place to go to prepare for Mexico city… I think they need to go to a high alt. spot in the US, and smoke 2 packs during the course of training, OR just go to Mexico city Sunday. why not stay there for 3 days?

– But anyway, I would like to see
    -GK- Howard,
    Guzan
    -DF- Spector; Demerit; Oneywu; Boca;
    Orozco; Bornstein; Wynne
    -MF- Donovan; Bradley; Feilhaber; Dempsey
    Torres; Holden
    -FW- Atidore; Davies
    Ching

93. patrick says:

its a 3 day camp, going to denver would mean that many of these guys making the trip from europe would be WRECKED. a 10+ hour flight to denver (or 12 to CA) and then another plane ride down to mexico a couple days later. 3 days in miami vs. denver or the moon won’t be the reason we don’t win

94. Blokhin says:

how about this line-up? they held Mexico’s A-/B+ team scoreless for 50 minutes!

Perkins

Heaps-Goodson-Marshall-Pearce

Holden-Beckerman-Pause-Rogers

Ching-Arnaud

95. takingthebait says:

Albright has been injured and even if healthy is behind Jay Heaps and Kevin Alston on the Revs depth chart — let’s call him up for USMNT at he position he doesn’t play — right on.

96. euroman says:

55 minutes

97. Wispy says:

@ Blokhin — if FIFA would let us make an 11-man substitution at the 54 minute mark, I’d be all for it.

98. Austin says:

I still like casey over cooper, sorry…..

Is Jermaine Jones or Edgar Castillo available yet?

Would replace Torres with Jones and replace Bornstein with Catillo if they are

99. Rocco says:

Days do make a difference in altitude acclimation even when it sums less than two weeks. Which makes me wonder, there will and should be very few surprises when it comes to this roster selection (although I really doubt Cooper will be leaving Munich and I really like seeing Hejduk’s intensity vs. Mexico). So why delay calling the team in somewhere like Mile High Stadium to get ready? I don’t care what condition you are in, altitude is a killer to get around when you’re not used to it and the Mexicans are going to be well acclimated. I think we should be prepared for more of the same this time around unfortunately.

100. socrates says:

Any reason to think that Bob names 20, as opposed to 23, or just straight to 18? Anyway, assuming it’s 20:

Altidore, Ching [Davies Arnaud]
    Donovan Bradley Clark Dempsey [Feilhaber Torres Holden]
    Boca Gooch Demerit Spector [Bornstein Marshall Dolo]
    Howard [Guzan]

Cuts to get down to 18-man game day roster: Arnaud, Marshall (since Boca and Spector can cover at CB)

Guys just missing the 20-man cut who could be called instead:

F: Cooper, Johnson, Casey, Adu
    M: Beckerman, Kljestan, Mastroeni, Rogers, Beasley
    D: Hejduk, Goodson, Califf, Orozco

Would be called if available: Jones, Edu, Castillo (maybe)

101. Aaron says:

If Benny is on, I’m sure he’ll see action at some point. I kind of like him off the bench if needed. If our current defensive minded pair (Bradley and Clark) are getting it done that maybe Benny isn’t needed. But if we need some creativity and some ball movement in the middle Feilhaber is our man (especially considering his form this summer).

I’m sure Ching will get the start if healthy, and I hope to god Davies is subbed on and shows he is a top-2 forward here. I really think with two dynamic guys in Jozy and Charlie we have no need for a hold-‘em-up type in Ching. The young two can get up and go and that proved affective in SA.

102. Brian says:

Hedjuk will make the team. He’s one of the fittest guys. He can also play LB. So I think Hedjuk makes the team.

I also think Mastroeni will make the team and could see sub time at the end of the game. Pablo is not a 2010 player but with Jones and Edu hurt, Pablo is useful as a backup.

103. jimmygreaves says:

If Frankie Hejduk is healthy, he should definitely be on the squad. His heart, fighting spirit and experience with the whole Mexico thing are invaluable. Whatever the lineup it is important to defend very well. This is not going to be a pretty game and I predict no one here will like watching it. I would put ten men in front of goal for the entire game. The longer it goes 0-0 the better it is for the US. Mexico will get frustrated and their fans will begin to turn on them if they don’t score early.

104. Goalscorer24 says:

Ives, I like your suggested group of players. Please no Beasley or such oddities!! I am a little worried that they just arrive in Mexico the day before the game. Not much time to acclimate. plus many of our players are playing that weekend and then flying in for camp. I hope this is the team that can beat Mexico in Mexico!

105. CrispyST3 says:

I think the Altidore and Ching shuld play up top, then bring in Davies in the 65 for Ching, so Davies can torch that back line when they are tired………

then feilhaber needs to get subbed also, he seems to be a super sub better than a starter, maybe sub him in for Ricardo Clark

i’d go with this,

—–Altidore—-Ching———

Dempsey—————Donovan–

——-Rico——-Bradley——

Boca–Gooch–Jay D.—–Spector

then the subs i said

106. sean says:

just no Beasley. please. As long as he doesn’t play we have a shot to win this game.

107. einar says:

beckerman will go instead of cooper

108. Brando says:

If anyone thinks Jozy or anyone else that needs to ” get their club situation in order” is being left off the roster, you’re crazy. This is THE biggest game of the year for the Nats and Bobby knows it. Their main goal , other than actual qualification, is beating Mexico at the Azteca. Bob said it himself. Expect Bob to field a 100% squad no matter what.

109. jpc says:

Can someone that has been to Mexico City, or has intimate knowledge of the city tell me if there would be any issues w/ the US team staying in Mexico city for 4 days… I know its not the safest city in the world, but I wouldn’t think there were any real security issues.

If no, I can’t understand why we wouldn’t just have camp there? performing in high altitude is about getting the oxygen levels in the blood acclimated, and the only way to do that is to go to the environment you will be competing in

110. JonBones says:

As an FYI, who is going to the game? I’m an American living down here and will be at the Azteca. I’m hoping I won’t be alone.

111. Artes says:

The Mexican players playing in Europe will not be acclimated to the altitude either. Salcido was dying last time he played in Mexico city. It may not be such a big deal this time.

112. Brian says:

Don’t think Cooper will be there since he just arrived in Munich and Bob isn’t that fond of him anyway.

Taking his place will be Frankie Hejduk or Goodson/Califf.

113. Billy Robins says:

You have to bring Dude. He brings something special, even if he never sees the field.

I don’t think anyone wants to win more than that guy and he will insprie everyone. He’s the only guy (outside of T-Ho and maybe Los) who seems willing and able to rally the troops and get in people’s faces (and I’m talking teammates, not referres). Exhibit A: Disaster in San Salvador until Dude came on the pitch and almost soley dragged that sorry bunch to a point

114. CT says:

Jorge,

“…the clown in charge of the USSF…”

WTF! What did Sunil do to you? In point of fact, Gulati is making many more good moves than bad ones.

Anyway, both of Jones and Castillo have to submit papers to FIFA to get a reassignment of their national teams and the process takes 60-90 days. Then, they have to participate in a national team camp to be assessed about how they will fit in to the squad. Let’s not get into too big a hurry for those 2 players. The US has plenty of players to qualify. Then, let’s get our team set for the WC.

115. RapidsMan says:

Where is Casey and Colin Clark?

They need to play.

116. CT says:

Harry, you are a moron. Ching has been a critical factor in many of the goals the US has scored in WCQ in this cycle. He’s drawn fouls both in the penalty box and just outside, he’s made assists, he’s played people in like Donovan who have then made the 2d pass that leads to a score. The reason Bradley likes Ching rather than Cooper is b/c Cooper rarely (if ever!) makes anyone around him better, whereas Ching does the unsung work that goes largely unnoticed and makes pinheads like you think he’s worthless. Over time your comments lead me to believe that all you know about soccer is what you learned on your couch.

117. cbr says:

—arnoud–cooper–

rogers-pause-holden-quaranta-

heaps–goodson–marshall–evans—

———perkins—–

SIKE!!!!!

we coudl all guess 90% of the starting line up …its redundant

118. I’m going to say no Cooper since he just joined a new team and isn’t going to play. I think Hejduk or Beckerman get called in instead of Cooper. Especially seeing how effective Dempsey was as a late game forward in South Africa.

119. jamin barnes says:

They should train more than three days for this one.

120. Goalscorer24 says:

Since they are playing at altitude, Bradley needs to make smart substitutions! At the first sign that someone is dragging he needs to sub. He can’t wait until the other team has scored. I hope he has learned that lesson.

121. julio says:

Am I alone in thinking it’s a mistake that Bob is only calling the team in for training for 2 days in Miami while Mexico has been at it for 8 days (when the games starts) ????? Should they have had at least 4 days to train? Just me.

122. omar says:

i think he should call up jermaine jones he might help us coming in in the second half he is a great player!!!!

123. zongzap says:

Cooper will not be called in because:

1) Just starting with a new team, needs to establish himself (the kind reason)
    2) Did nothing to show he belonged in the Gold cup. He was playing behind a halfback
    3) Would not see the field even if he did go

Bradley will start Davies/Ching – believe it!

Altadore and Ching together make us too slow up top.

I don’t think he’ll call in Torres … but he should

124. Marc says:

Actual list is suppose to be out tomorrow or Friday….I like Ives picks and would not change any of them….the new guys being Marshall and Holden the two “out field” standouts at the Gold Cup….concur with both of those picks too (great atmosphere for them to experience even on the bench)….now Torres has to get some time at Azteca being that he plays for Pachuca and knows the Mexican players inside and out….will be great when we win for him to be on the field…:)

125. Coach Bradley says:

Sometimes I think the readers of this site are all NFL fans like Ives and actually know nothing but what Ives writes.

Christ some of you have no clue.

126. Marc says:

On the whole altitude issue we did OK in South Africa which was 4500 + Feet in most venues as I recall….we will be just fine..

127. Marc says:

Also keep in mind, for those who think guys like Cooper won’t be called in (becaue they are with new teams), that most if not all of the European teams will be playing on the “international date” date too…England plays Holland for examnple…so yeah these guys will all be there for a game of this magnitude if Bob Bradley wants them there and the clubs, per FIFA ,cannot say no if he requests them.

128. CT says:

Coach Bradley, care to be more specific? Otherwise, why did you take the time to post?

129. Marc says:

Latest FIFA rankings: The USA remains No. 12 while Mexico rose three slots to No. 30. Brazil, Spain and the Netherlands are the top three.

link to fifa.com…llranking.html

130. SD says:

i wouldn’t have cooper in, but not sure who else could go..EJ? not sure about him….no jones b/c as i read somewhere that he is recovering from a broken leg…so no jones, even if his paperwork was filed timely enough…

ives-why does the US even bother training in miami? why not head straight to mexico city? though i could imagine things could get interesting have to rely on mexico to be a good host…

131. nbluck says:

Ives, what is goin on with edgar castillo and jermaine jones? can we see these guys put on the stars and stripes sometime or what??

132. Yossarian says:

I agree exactly with Ives’ suggested team except for Coop. I’d take a Beckerman type who can possibly come in and spell one of the D-mids if they start to wilt in the altitude or get injured/carded. If we had another decent d-mid to throw in there against Brazil we might be Confed champs. Our system depends so much on the workrate of those 2 center mids.

shelDONOVAN: Albright and Dunivant are journeyman-level MLS players without any standout tools or skills. They’re also slow. If there’s one aspect that gets expose more than any other in international football, it’s speed, and Bornstein has that. Bornstein also still has upside, at only 24 compared to Dunivant’s 28. He looked pretty decent at the Confed Cup, so it seems a little wacky to be throwing Dunivant’s name out there at this point, esp b/c Pearce or Spector would be much better options in that spot if you don’t want Bornstein.

133. Isaac says:

Posted by: harry | August 05, 2009 at 04:04 PM

Do you ever mention anything other than Freddy Adu? You talk about Ching not doing well against tiny competition but Freddy could barely score against Grenada. Ching actually started in the Barbados match so get your facts straight. So scoring goals in the MLS means little? In case you haven’t noticed, THATS WHERE THE MAJORITY OF OUR BEST PLAYERS HAVE COME FROM. We have no other gauge. Davies scored one easy goal against T&T, one scrappy goal against Egypt, and one good one against lowly Grenada. Ching has had a hand in 2 of Jozy’s goals and has scored 4 of his 7 goals with Ching on the field. Since 2007, the USA has only lost one game with Brian Ching on the field. There is a LOT to be said for that statistic.

134. Javier says:

Ives, is Todd Dunivant from the L.A. Galaxy good enough to get a call for the left back spot. I know he’s a little slow but I think he’s a better back than Heath Pearce, and probably a better back than Bornstein. I think he’s also naturally left footed. He seemed to do well against AC Milan and Barcelona when the Galaxy played them, and he’s having a good MLS season.

If not this game should he get a call for a later qualifying game?

135. Isaac says:

Where is Casey and Colin Clark?

They need to play.

Posted by: RapidsMan | August 05, 2009 at 06:49 PM

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hope you’re yanking my spiky chain…..

136. roysterer says:

One reason to bring Connor Casey is that he’s already acclimated to the altitude. Mastroeni is too, but I think his international career is pretty much over.

137. radi0head says:

some people here need to think, honestly. Now i think jozy is a great player and should def be called up. However, Ching is coming off the Gold Cup and several MLS games. His form right now > Jozy, who has been resting/relaxing/traveling. Makes literally no sense to play jozy over ching. Now what may work, is subbing davies out later and putting in jozy. Ching has the best form right now, and is solid worker. And another point, while Ching may not score tons of goals himself, i do believe he makes others around him better with his style of play. Take that into account when selecting rosters.

138. madmax says:

Beasley and Kljestan for starters.

139. harry says:

if Ching is going to start.then he needs to be excellent no excuses anymore..he needs to show that starting over Altidore-Davies was the right move and he needs to score……and if he is excellent than i will eat the crow as i will deserve it if true BUT if he does nothing except a simple hold-up..then i expect people to be honest and not exaggerate when he really did nothing the whole game i would also expect Ives to point out if Ching is shocking in a bad way just like Ives mentioned it about Adu about thousand times after the Honduras GC game to prevent any double standards. Becuase if Ching cant do the job vs Mexico next week when he is in-form, than how is he gonna do it next-year vs the worlds best.

140. TJ says:

Jacqua looks like a clown against top flight competition.

141. DJ says:

Just saw a report on AP — Rafael Marquez tore a muscle in training ( thigh or calf). He’ll miss the USA match.

142. Joe says:

You are right NO Marquez! Bad in the sense that it’s always nice to see a player of that calibre on the field, but maybe better for Mexico in this specific match!
    We’ll see!

143. Ace says:

WHy does BRADLEY not UNDERSTAND ALTITUDE TRAINING?!?!? MIAMI?!!? ARE YOU SERIOUS!?! stupid incompetent dumb juvenile ughhh…

i think we can win this game.. but he is NOT preparing the players well. and the blame lays right at BOB.

144. Ace says:

3 days at high altitude is better than ZERO.

145. Joseph D'Hippopotamus says:

Arena’s awful bucket midfield will not work against Mexico

146. Reading says:

Our best back line is Dolo, Demerit, Gooch, Specter. Until Castillo gets a chance to prove himself Specter is our best option at LB.

147. ThaDeuce says:

Holden

FORWARDS:
    Ching
    Altidore
    Davies
    Donovan

However, we all know that We are really bringing 3 forwards and 7 midfielders, because Donovan plays in the midfield….but when we sub Feilhaber for Altidore in the 60th minute, we all know that Dempsey moves up top so we are bringing 4 forwards and 6 midfielders again. aye yay yay, we are so versatile!

Starting U.S. Line-up and tactics = same as the end of the confederations Cup.

Starters:
    Ching–Altidore
    Donovan—Bradley—Clark—Dempsey
    Bocanegra–Onyewu–Demeritt–Spector
    Howard

Subs:
    Davies for Altidore in the 60th minute
    Feilhaber for Clark in the 70th minute
    Holden for Ching in the 85th minute, move Dempsey up top and Holden out wide.

So glad that we have learned SO MUCH THIS SUMMER!
    two months ago beasley and kljestan were starting and adu was on the bench. jejeje!

Posted by: ThaDeuce | July 29, 2009 at 05:06 PM”

148. jimmygreaves says:

“shelDONOVAN: Albright and Dunivant are journeyman-level MLS players without any standout tools or skills. They’re also slow. If there’s one aspect that gets expose more than any other in international football, it’s speed, and Bornstein has that.

Yossarian”

_______________________

Yossarian,

Speed is important but more important at the highest level is speed of thought (or rather not thinking) allied with ball control.

Watch a team like Barca or Milan. Guys like Pirlo, Puyol, and others may not be as fast or quick as someone like Bornstein but when the ball comes to them they can take it and send it on its way, in a positive fashion, in the blink of an eye.

Bornstein (and most US players) must kill the ball, get it under control, think about where to pass or switching the point of attack and then send it there. And maybe it gets there if his pass is accurate enough. Guys like Pirlo can do the exact same thing in maybe half the time (and the final pass will be better).

That is because they have excellent ball control and know, before they even get the ball, what they will do with it. This is almost a muscle memory, instinctive thing where they practically do this without thinking, hence the speed of the action. A defender cannot outrun a well passed ball.

I like Bornstein but, since he is supposed to be an attacking left back, his biggest problem is his final pass is usually not necessarily the best option, is off target or is delivered too slowly and gets there too late or is too awkward to handle. His speed,hustle and “athleticism”( whatever that means) allow him to make up for some of his deficiencies but he needs to go somewhere and work on his ball control and passing.

149. CT says:

harry wrote (edited):

>>if Ching is going to start.then he needs to be excellent no excuses anymore..he needs to score……if he does nothing except a simple hold-up..then i expect people to be honest and not exaggerate when he really did nothing the whole game…<<

harry, you’ve set up a false set of criteria for success which suggest that you haven’t been paying attention and that you don’t really know what you’re talking about. International competition is not select age group soccer. At the highest level scoring is not always a striker’s sole purpose – especially in the USMNT set up. With the gifted Donavan and Dempsey able to make delayed runs, the US plays with a target that can hold up the ball, draw attention from the defense, draw fouls, impede the defense’s attempt to move the ball into attack, open space for teammates, lay the ball off and let others score. Ching always gets his share of goals off of corners and set pieces, but he’s created lots of chances for others in the run of play. That’s completely different from the way that Thierry Henry plays, but Henry is not the only model of an international striker.

If the US had a gifted #10 (did you see Messi last night against the Sounders!) it might be a different story – but then if a frog had wings …

Knowledgeable soccer fans will reject your criteria for success for Ching – there’s so much more to it. I look forward to discussing the game with everyone on Aug 13.

150. jimmygreaves says:

Bornstein also still has upside, at only 24 compared to Dunivant’s 28. -Yossarian

________________

Yossarian- I hear this all the time, “why is the US is looking at so and so, he is too old?”.

European teams have the World Cup and the European Championship but we only have the World Cup. So 2014 is irrelevant right now.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that priority # 1 is WC 2010, next year, not 2014. Which means if a 28-35 year old looks like he might work out for the US today then he’s not likely to decline dramatically in the next 6-8 months or so. If Dunivant (I haven’t seen him play in some time) is lights out better than Bornstein and Bocanegra at left back, then bring him in. Hell, if Eddie Lewis is in good form I’d rather have him on the team as he is one of the best dead ball specialists around and has a ton of experience.

151. Alex H. says:

Hejduk is hurt. It was in the Columbus Dispatch today. It’s his right quad. It’s a new and probably short term injury for Frankie, but it should definitely rule him out for next week.

It’s too bad. Like him or not, he is an experienced hardworking leader, that can raise his game for big occasions.

The timing of the WCQ at Mexico is awful. No lengthy fifa break for training camp, plus its pre-season / beginning season for most of the Euro based players. A tie would be a good result for the US Team.

152. jimmygreaves says:

CT,

Harry only knows the following:

All roads lead to Freddy Adu

No one is a good as Freddy

Freddy’s problems are all Bob Bradley’s fault( Bradley negotiated Adu’s crap contract with Benfica)

Ching couldn’t hold Freddy’s jock

You are wasting your time trying to convince him otherwise.

153. CT says:

jimmygreaves- Probably wise advice. I’m not a regular commenter on this blog so I’m learning.

154. r.benjamin says:

The Brian Ching problem…

The truth is.. harry is right and jimmyg is right. Ching does make the others around him better and maintains possession better than Jozy and Davies.. and as much as I hate to admit it.. RIGHT NOW.. he is probably the better option to start and sub out at 60 mins (not 80+ mins BB!). But I do believe and hope the torch and style of play is at the brink. If Ching plays great.. then he’s suspended it further pending the kids experiences in euro. If he goes mostly absent, then it is surely time to hand the reigns over and say.. just do it kids.. what you got?

In SA our best chance to go “far” is to realize our highest upside potential.. and that means the kids. hence my as well as harry’s devotion to adu.. who ‘may’ be down right now.. but does simply ‘have’ when its clicking what others don’t. see the u20 wc (esp against brazil on the same field as jo and pato) and last summer’s friendlies and olympics..

155. jimmygreaves says:

Rbenjamin-

Adu and Ching are not competing for playing time. Ching is a target forward. Adu is an attacking central midfielder. In the present system, they are not likely to change places and play each other’s roles. Ching is a solid, if limited professional. The one thing I’ll say for him is, if you look closely at his record, the US seems to do well when he plays and usually they are games that count, not friendlies. He is no star, like Mr. Adu could have been, but you don’t win a lot without guys like him. However, it seems most bloggers are like Fantasy League players; they like those flashy, stat guys.

Do a little research. You will find in the history of Under 23’s, 20’s, 17’s and Olympic teams of the various countries, there are many players who show the kind of promise and star power Adu has demonstrated but making the leap to regular international player is far from a sure thing.

For whatever reason his club and senior US career have been nowhere near what his skill level and potential promised. The times I’ve seen him play, at the senior level, I’ve found him to be underwhelming; he still seems puny and unable to stay on his feet.

At 20 Adu has time but not as much as you and harry think. I agree Freddy has a lot of skill and potential but, particularly in Europe, many of the clubs are regularly bringing in kids who are younger, and cheaper with as much if not more talent. And odds are most of them are easier to deal with than Mr. Adu, if we can believe the media. My feeling is if Mr. Adu doesn’t prove his worth in this next season his chance for the kind of star lifestyle his talent deserves will be negatively impacted. I’m sure when you and harry were 20 ( I am assuming you are both more mature than Freddy) you were sensible young men with a clear and balanced idea of how best to handle your futures, personal and professional. Based on what has transpired so far I’m not so sure the same can be said for Mr. Adu.

Pro sports is a brutal, cruel business and if Freddy doesn’t get his act together soon, there are plenty of other newer, cheaper kids in town. Even the US team, as poorly run as you seem to think they are, will eventually bring up more young offensive talent who will be as productive if not more so than Mr. Adu. And that day is not as far off as you think. By the way, in SA our best chance to go far is to get a good group assignment, for once.

156. HSNCal says:

I know everyone’s in love with Clint, and he was our best finisher in the Confederations Cup, so I’ll agree he deserves to start. But please, not as the total defensive liability he is at right mid; put him at withdrawn forward which is the only place he shows his use, as a poacher-finisher. And in my opinion, the pairing of two defensive mids (Bradley-Clark) just doesn’t give enough creativity in the center. So my starting 11:
    GK: Howard
    D: Spector-Demerit-Onyewu-Bocanegra
    MF: Holden-Bradley-Feilhaber-Donovan
    F: Dempsey,Davies

Holden will create more pressure down the side, distribute better service to teammates, and play far better defense than Dempsey. I could go either way on Clark or Feilhaber, especially since LD pushing forward so much puts a lot of pressure on our left side, and Carlos is not quick enough to handle that on his own. A faster left back would make me more comfortable playing Benny.

Flame away.

157. roysterer says:

I don’t think the US intends to work the ball through the middle. They’ll play it up the wings to take advantage of their better speed. That means all they need to do in the middle is win the ball back from Mexico, so two defensive mids seems like a good idea. Also, as Christiano Ronaldo likes to demonstrate, outside midfield is a good place to put guys who can’t (or won’t) defend.

However, I do think that moving Dempsey up and putting Holden in the midfield is a good idea because Altidore seemed to lack conditioning in the Confederations Cup and that can’t have improved. And the altitude won’t help.

158. R.benjamin says:

Jimmy whoa whoa.. So ur the authority on adu? Point made was that many of us out there saw the flashes v Spain last year and in the few benfica ops and brilliance at the u20s. Hos vision delivering a through ball is clear.. All I’m saying us it’s wet the tongue and we somehow want to see it realized and believe it’s just somehow untapped. C. ranieri called him man o match last year against juve. So something is there.

And.. He is def not competing against ching. I put adu on the wing.

The usa shoulda gotten out of the group in 06. Game1: Poor prep and player selections. Game2: valiant but dumb reds. Game3; reyna’s gaffe and super rough penalty call.

159. jimmygreaves says:

R.Benjamin

If you don’t like my opinion do some research. Input Freddy Adu into Google and you will find that a bunch of pro club coaches from 4 teams in 3 countries over the last 5 years or so have seen fit to play him very sparingly. He hasn’t been a regular in any team except DC United for a brief period three teams ago. Are all these coaches idiots?

In a five year club career since 2004 he has 125 appearances (not games) and 22 goals. That averages out to 25 club appearances per year and 4.4 goals per year. If he was the star player you say he is how come the coaches don’t want to trust him with playing time? Is it possible they want productive players because, unlike you and me, their jobs are on the line? I’ll take their opinion on the guy over yours and mine.

Lots of players have “something there”. The trick is to make it show up for most games. I’ve seen many of Adu’s games and yes he has talent but I’ve seen better players not make it in the big time.

Adu is taking up space and time on a roster and if he doesn’t come good soon, the people who are giving him that space and time will move on to the next big thing. That doesn’t mean he won’t ever make it big but it does make it harder for him and represents a big waste of time and effort.

The US should have gotten out of the Group in 06? They earned it but they were also very lucky to get the point they got. The Czech Republic and Ghana whipped their butts and both teams could probably have taken the US in a 7 game series. Your excuses are along the lines of “if pigs had wings they could fly”.