Guardado: “Of course we will win”

Andres Guardado (ISIphotos.com)

Photo by ISIphotos.com

Mexican star midfielder Andres Guardado gave his countrymen a scare this weekend after suffering a knee injury that looked as if it might rule him out of Wednesday's World Cup qualifying clash vs. the United States. Guardado insists that he will be ready to play, and even went so far as to guarantee victory and give a scoreline.

"Of course we will win, 3-0," Guardado said. "We have players of high quality and you can see that the team has prepared well, now there is only the question of showing it on the field on Wednesday."

Guardado isn't the only Mexico player to offer up some bulletin board material for the Americans.

Goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa went so far as to say that Mexico is better than the United States both physically and soccer-wise.

"(The United States) is a rival of respect, that you must be careful of, but it is a rival we know, whose style we know," Ochoa said. "We know that physically, and soccer-wise, we are better, so we just have to apply that on the field and do our talking on the field."

The Americans have avoided any grand declarations in the media, with Jozy Altidore coming the closest with this Twitter update: "Partido contra El tri vamos a ganar!!!!!!! (game vs. Mexico we are going to win).

What do you think of Guardado's and Ochoa's public comments? Worried about Mexico's confidence heading into this match? Does the talk make you even more anxious for Wednesday to get here?

This entry was posted in Mexican Soccer, U.S. Men's National Team, World Cup Qualifying. Bookmark the permalink.

135 Responses to Guardado: “Of course we will win”

1. Greg says:

sounds like fighting words to me…lets get it!!

2. MIght says:

Thank you Mexicans…. i see you guys are back talking trash…. but US with shut your mouths!!! again!!! lets go USA

3. Krista says:

All it is is talk. Dos a cero baby.

4. Pat says:

Would it have been better if he said they were going to lose 3-0?

5. Jorge says:

Mexican arrogance. Pure and simple.

6. kevin says:

Yes as it would be closer to reality. Down with the Tri….

7. metrostar 4 life says:

Jozy said it best, vamos a ganar! Mexico isn’t even worthy of playing us, this is our year, our time, and the streak at Azteca is about to be history

8. Jacob A. says:

Heart pace picking up a bit…

9. wally says:

Yeah, he’s gonna regret saying that. Never a good idea to predict a blow out victory.

10. Right. You guys are so good, that’s why you keep losing. And you had to bring your A team against our B to win the Gold Cup. That’s AWESOME!

If Mexico loses dos a cero on Wednesday…well, let’s just call it “poetic justice”.

11. cjbrown says:

both should be embarrassed to go to the corner store with such haircuts much less be seen in front of 105,000 people and on TV by millions. Mas puuuuuto … After the game, I will be glad to twitter them with this message: MMLV. Except I’m afraid they would try to do it, literally! (If u don’t know what that means, watch the new HBO special from George Lopez).

12. Kyle Feller says:

How cute from the little guy in green.

13. Josh says:

Huh?!?!? Whazzat?

(Rolls over and goes back to sleep.)

14. cbr says:

crap….after watching Jay Heaps, Pierce and Logan Pause in the Gold CUp final i’d be saying the same thing too if i were Mexico

15. Freddy says:

If Guardado thinks El Tri are going to win this match, he must also believe in the Easter Bunny too!

16. mike says:

this streak is worthless. We only play there once every 4 years. If we played at the Azteca as much as we play here in the states against Mexico, it would have went down long ago…

Kenny Cooper started and scored a goal in his first game with 1860

17. jp992751 says:

Is it just me or is the guy in the picture one of Madonas back-up vogue dancers?

18. christian says:

Well history tells us the US has never won in Mexico, the best they’ve ever done is a tie.

I don’t see any arrogance at all in those statements.

It’s the typical pro sports athlete talk.

“we’re better but we gotta show it on the field”

What’s funny to me is how confident US fans were of going down to San Salvador and winning.

They barely walked out with a tie.

Same thing about regarding Costa Rica.

“it’s our time, we have the better team, that costa rican team isn’t as good as previous teams”

in the end, the US got stomped on.

Any rational fan that’s been following the qualifiers for more than one cycle knows that the most likely outcome is a Mexico victory. If Mexico wins, the US is still in good shape to qualify, this game won’t mean much in the grand scheme of things.

19. cbr says:

good point Mike with the “streak” mike.

20. Kyle Feller says:

Christian, I think we can all agree that something happened to our guys in South Africa, that makes what happened in Costa Rica completely irrelevant.

21. Jorge says:

Christian,

This is the same Mexican arrogance I remember when I was growing up. Back in the late 70s, early 80s, the Mexican team always looked down on the teams from the US and Central America. To me, it wasn’t a healthy rivalry. It was a demeaning (for the lack of a better term) one.

22. Mike says:

Even as badly as the US has played in Azteca, when our players felt like their lungs were burning and they looked gassed after 10 minutes, the US has not been beaten badly over the last 15 years in Mexico… Although losing 2-1, 1-0, 1-0, and drawing 0-0 is not good, it could be worse considering all the advantages they have in Azteca.

I want the US to win, I just don’t think this is the year. Even so, I think a 1-1 draw is coming, and if so, the Mexican press will start jumping off bridges. Besides, taking 2 points from them will feel so much better when we get to watch them being punked at Estadio Saprissa.

23. kpugs says:

Typical Mexican arrogance, as you guys have already said. The fans are the same. I have asked them point blank if they were sleeping over the past decade while we were busy establishing our ownership of them. They ignore the question every time, like I didn’t even ask it.

24. Sean says:

Machismo doesn’t score goals

25. Kyle Feller says:

Kpugs, that’s just because they no speak english.

I’m sure if you asked them in their native tongue they could’ve/would’ve answered.

26. Larry says:

the fact that mexico has prepared a full week for this game and we (The US) have trained for a day may tell everyone what they need to know! Mexico needs this home win bad. We on the other hand don’t have to win it to qualify. We will play on the chemistry built in south africa. Mexico is still trying to find their chemistry. A win will be awesome, but a draw would still be a downer to the mexicans! I predict donovan holds the dagger wth an 85th min pk and we win 2-1.

27. Jorge says:

@Kyle Feller,

Que? :-)

28. christian says:

I fail to see what’s arrogant about those statements.

And no, the result in Costa Rica is not irrelevant. The results in the Hex so far are more relevant that the Confederations Cup.

They’re only irrelevant from a fan’s point of view.

Want arrogance?

Check out the excuse making after the Gold Cup final.

“we’re going to smash them with our A team”

“this game doesn’t count because we sent our reserve team”

How about a “congrats on the win, we’ll see you on the 12th”

Irony is what drives this site.

29. joe jack johnson says:

put up an INS booth at the next game in America… let’s see what their fan advantage turns to as they run out of the stadium in droves

30. mike ruze says:

Guardado needs Spector to teach him another lesson. Big talk from a player who if you hit him hard enough youll take him mentally out of a game.

31. Jorge says:

US National Team related item:

Here is a video of Kenny Cooper’s first goal with 1860 Munich.

link to tinyurl.com

32. Mike says:

There may be a few arrogant fans, but I don’t think you will find an arrogant US player on the squad when it comes to playing Mexico. You will never see an American player predicting a beatdown, providing an unqualified “physically, and soccer-wise, we’re better.” But whatever. It’s bulletin board material. Hopefully, they US will play well and make them eat their words. The US team knows better than to bother with all the smack talk.

33. Fulham Pete says:

Guardado’s statements are nothing if not predictable. When in competition or confrontation, machismo provides for boasting, because if they win, the glory for them is much greater than the shame if they lose.

It’s sort of like if Babe Ruth called for his home run EVERY at bat, but only the actual dinger makes the news.

If the US beats Mexico again, then it will, OF COURSE, be because the Gringos got lucky, a favorable referee, AND El Tri didn’t play to their potential. When, however, the world knows the truth. The US SHOULD win, and Mexico should be the underdogs.

Ask Spain, Italy or Brazil which team they’d rather play. I’d bet the farm that they think Mexico would be the easier game.

Viva el bravado de Mexico!
    GO USA!

34. Katatonia says:

Mexico will never win a world cup. id be ornery too.

35. Kevin says:

If we ever needed a win at Azteca, now is the time. Qualifying is tight this cycle, we were just sorely whipped by Mexico and need to avoid giving them any sort of momentum (albeit we were fielding a C squad, but I doubt they care), we’re coming off the Confed Cup and need to stay in the mainstream media focus, and I would love to shove those words down Andres Guardado’s (freaking) throat with a bit of Dos a Cero away from home.

36. obie says:

Reality check: we are likely to lose. And if we do, it is not the end of the world. We still will have taken a point out of El Sal that Mexico didn’t, and we’ll still be perfect at home, and our easiest road game is still to come. You just don’t want to leave it up to needing multiple results from the @ Honduras & home vs. CR matches at the end to make it.

The only thing that matters is point accumulation. We’re at 10. The goal should be to get at six over the next three matches (@ Mex, vs. ElSal, @ TNT). Seven would be amazing. No team with 16 points in the hex has ever failed to be in the top three at the end.

37. patrick says:

typical speak from a team riding a high, playing at their fortress. All the pressure is on Mexico and while of course the US will feel some pressure, Mexico NEEDS these 3 points. THey’re going to throw everything they have at us the first 15-20 minutes and if the US can diffuse and counter attack they have a good shot of getting a result. I think we’ll see Bradley use all 3 subs given the games played this weekend and the conditions.

38. Trilogy says:

I haven’t found these statements by Guardado anywhere! I will be extremely surprised if such a professional player gave a final score for that game! I will give Ives the benefit of the doubt…for now!

But having said that, Guardado can say whatever he wants, whenever he wants too! And if Mexico loses and he has to eat his words, then he’ll eat his words, period!

If you read any soccer thread regarding the MNT in any Mexican newspaper, you will find 70/30 of fans saying we will lose…We as in Mexico! THERE IS NO ONE THAT CRITCIS’ES THE MNT MORE THAN MEXICANS!

Most fan boys here are just flip-floppers that are just waiting for any optimistic statement from a Mexican player to fan the flames! It’s all right for Altidore to post on his Twitter page IN SPANISH, ‘we’re going to Mexico, and we are going to win!’ But it’s not all right for Mexican players to say the same? How’s that?

Can they please have your permission?

You SHOULD win, and win BIG! Aren’t you ranked 12th in the world, while Mexico is 30th!!! How utterly embarrassing it will be if Mexico wins, not once but TWICE back to back, and against two different American teams, in two different countries!

All I know is that if Mexico wins it certainly proves it is not the 30th team in the world, and that the US is CERTAINLY NOT 12TH!!!

(SBI- The Guardado quote is in the very link at the top of the story. Guess you missed that. Also, there’s a difference between Guardado and Ochoa saying what they said to the media and what Altidore wrote on a Twitter page.)

39. Kevin says:

Posted by: Trilogy | August 09, 2009 at 09:53 PM

I don’t think anyone would try to argue contrary to that. In fact, I doubt anyone truly thinks that we are 12th and Mexico is 30th, even if Mexico does not beat the US. The FIFA rankings are a joke.

40. will m. says:

do people actually like ochoa? he seems like the biggest d-bag

41. jake says:

Please, how is this different from when landon said that if this game were anywhere else but mexico, he KNOWS the US would win?

And your acting like the US needs extra motivation to win this match. They have all the motivation they need already. This won’t do jack spit.

42. Isaac says:

This is a rivalry, the facts count for nothing to the fans. Case and point Trilogy.

But that’s why we watch.

43. J-Ro says:

Mr. Joe Jack Johnson: I’m a die-hard US fan, but I can’t help but take offense at your statement. The rivalry is on the field not off, and it shouldn’t have anything to do with INS or nativism or whatever. If I let politics get mixed up in my sports fandom as much as you seem to, I’d have a pretty hard time rooting for the US.

And Kyle Feller: I know a lot of Mexican-Americans who can answer questions in English a lot better than I can in Spanish.

…so I can’t wait to ask them on Thursday how their team managed to lose to the lowly US. :)

44. maize says:

“I don’t see any arrogance at all in those statements.”

How is saying you’re going to win 3-0 and saying the other team is inferior physically and soccer wise not arrogant, but a bunch of fans on a messageboard (who were probably upset by a loss) saying they’ll win next time with their A-team is arrogant?

U.S. fans are no more arrogant that Mexican fans. They hope/believe their team will win, which is no different from Mexican fans who think/know the same when their team plays in the U.S.

45. Robert says:

Vanity…. definitely my favorite sin.

46. Robert says:

Ochoa is a favorite with the girls… go figure

47. Bradley says:

The Special One says, “Shut Up El Tri.”

48. BlueWhiteLion says:

Christian, are you like the cultural police or something? Anyway, you are comparing fan quotes with player quotes. Maybe you should compare player quotes with player quotes. Fans will always be idiots. You are pretty quick to defend Mexicans (not sure why). If you want fairness, perhaps go on a Mexican blog and copy their quotes. I imagine many are no brighter than the US ones you quote.

I don’t think what the Mexican players are saying is all that bad, but as I have thought from day one, and as Ives also writes: it is bulletin board material. It often comes back to bite you.

The Mexican national team HAS had an attitude problem, displaying unsportsmanlike behavior far worse than many teams I have watched. And after losing they have given much excuses. That’s just plain ignorant. I would say that if it were my US side acting that way. Don’t worry about a bunch of posters, many of whom post anonymously. I’d rather have objective critique of the teams themselves.

49. M.Verde says:

What I can see, in the Mexican newspapers tonight, is President Calderon and President Obama, meeting, laughing, speaking cordially, and maybe only maybe mentioning Wednesday’s game if only in passing, (I’ll bet anything that Calderon invited Obama!)

Kind of moving really, the young Mexican and American presidents, maybe more alike than different in Guadalajara!

Now…If only MNT and USMNT soccer fans where the same!!!

50. jpc says:

Mike,

to be fair Donovan did say everything at Azteca makes the game difficult except the soccer, b/c the US is clearly the better team…

But your point is well taken, the US players, no matter how confident they are, at least respect the quality of Mexico as a team and soccer nation…

The Mexican players, coaches, and fans have this inferiority complex it seems. For so long the Mexicans had soccer as the one thing in their sporting culture that they could look to and say that they were far and away better than their big brother to the north (and their little league WS team until we realized they were fielding their U-30 team). Now that that has slipped away, they are really struggling to come to grips w/ their new identity as 2nd best in concacaf.

At least that’s my armchair psychologist opinion.

51. Jorge says:

@will m.,

Actually, I have always liked Ochoa. He always seems like a classy guy, more than I can say about Oswaldo Sanchez.

Ochoa was the one trying to calm down the fans during the Mexico-Panama game during the Gold Cup.

52. Kenneth89 says:

They said that before the game in February too, so it doesn’t bother me, Bradley will put it up on the bulletin board before the game give us more motivation.

Ochoa needs to shut his mouth. A lot of Mexican fans still think Sanchez is better than him, even if he is the asshole that everyone knows he is.

Guardado’s words better come out to help him because it would be funny if in fact he didnt play.

They need to shut up and try to get three points, which in fact will still be hard even in Azteca.

53. understood says:

ultimately the only people this kind of “bulletin board” material matters to is us…the game will be decided by the players on the field…and as someone said earlier…its not the end of the world if we lose this game…no matter how it ends up…i just want everyone to get in and out healthy so that they can look forward to having productive european seasons…and for the mls guys to continue doing their thing when they get back

54. DingDong says:

J-Ro,

Thanks for saying that. Nothing makes me want to cringe more than when a US soccer fan mentions INS (for what it’s worth, it’s called ICE nowadays). I get worried that if soccer makes truly mainstream in the US, it might also become an outlet for the nativists. Soccer links us with our neighbors to the South (and, likely, down the street for that matter), not something that involves my support for the US’s misguided immigration policies. And even if you think ICE is just fine and dandy, believe me the Mexicans don’t and bringing up ICE is roughly equivalent to when some of their fans chanted Osama. Let’s keep this about soccer, not politics.

55. Jon says:

Trilogy,

If back to back losses to Mex would be considered embarrassing for us, what did you call what we’ve done to you overall between 2000-2009?

56. Brett says:

I’m hoping it doesn’t come to that, but we did get stomped by Costa Rica.

I am an American supporter, but a formidable Mexican team is good for the USA. I hope their players are coming out with high hopes and confidence. It will make beating them (if we can pull it off) all the more satisfying.

57. Brian says:

I thought Guardado won’t be playing?

58. JK says:

Guardado and Ochoa better back it up. It’s never good to talk the talk then not walk the walk. But I don’t think it’s a huge deal. Do you think Guardado/Ochoa would actually say that they would lose on their home turf to their hated rivals?

59. tom says:

America needs respect, hence it’s a MUST win.
    I hope they do not play like they did in Costa Rica.
    OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS.

60. Matt Schiller says:

I can’t anyone who wears a Jheri Curl seriously. I always chuckle when I think of the juxtaposition of his effeminate look with the Mexican male’s machismo identity…

61. Second City says:

” Of course we will qualify ” -Mexican players & supporters.

Not so fast, El-Try.

We know you’re quick with the wrist in throwing Corona beer bottles but you might want to tone down the guarantee’s for when you’ve already qualified for the World Cup, this time around.

4th place is apparently a position to brag from…

62. Tim says:

Can everyone stop responding to the mexican trollers? They don’t understand logic.

63. Marc says:

Alrighty then….they just keep talking….:) Mexico better physically than us?…yeah right in a pigs eye….we are bigger, faster and more athletic….and tactically smarter and those are all fact….:) USA wins thsi one and not an upset…it’s expected…:) Last I looked we are 12th in FIFA and they are 30th and we are 3-1-1 in qualifying and they are 2-4….nuff said…:)

64. JFC says:

Wise men are not always silent, but they know when to be. its gonna suck when mexico gets beat and guardado ends up looking like an ass.

65. headbans were over in the 70's says:

“Of course we will win, 3-0,” Guardado said.

Awwwww…. so cute when the green midgets flex their cute little curls and matching headbands. Guardado can open a salon after his career tanks.

66. slice says:

Well if ole juicy jheri curl says they’ll win then it must be true.

I don’t blame them for being confident. After all, the U.S. has never won at Azteca, but to say they’ll win by 3-0 is a bit much, especially because it’s beeen a long time since El Tri beat us by theat much at Azteca.

67. JBach says:

The United States enter this game full of confidence from previous performances in the Confederations Cup AND the Gold Cup. Ives has failed to drive the point that the US played the Gold Cup not with subs but with guys who were earning their first caps! For Mexico players to think the Gold Cup was a proper measure of their form is absurd. El Tri beat a team the US with 8 of their World Cup starters and their top goalie while the US had 1 (Ching shouldn’t start anyways) and their 4th/5th Goalie. Reasons are abound for Estados Unidos thinking El Tri is just trying to pump themselves up for an epic match against the US because they know they are going to falter. Only a fool would think this game means nothing, anytime the USA Soccer meets Mexican Futbol and the word FIFA precedes the match it is meaningful.

68. Inaki says:

I think it will be a tie, or a 2-1 US, or a 3-1 Mexico!

What I DO KNOW, and mock my words, is that the crowd support at the Azteca for at least 75 minutes, even if Mexico is losing (just as long as it’s not by more than three goals), is going to be the most intense, deafening, intimidating roar the USMNT has ever heard! NO DOUBT!!!

69. ThaDeuce says:

they sound scured.

70. USA wins says:

Guardado and Ochoa…haha. Ochoa is a joke compared to Tim Howard…just sayin. Guardado is no Donovan.

Come on…this one is simple. Look at the quality our first team has, and the Mexicans don’t match up. Yeah, they have some very good players. And ok, they’re playing at Azteca…but hear this:

DOS A CERO! ESTADOS UNIDOS!

71. Dman says:

he should get rid of that Jheri curl before he says anything like that.

72. froboy says:

i’m so ridiculously excited to go to the game on wednesday, will be a life highlight if the US pulls off the win, gonna be amazing, typical mexico talk that will come back to haunt them, the pressure for them will be immense, if they give up the first goal, its gonna be ugly, they NEED to win for so many reasons, they will crumble under the pressure of an early goal, we just need to play a solid opening 20 minutes or so and get a first half goal and the US wins it

73. randall says:

slightly off topic- but do we have a pool for how long its going to take jozy to get fined for something he twitters? cause its GONNA happen…

74. Iammetro says:

Christian,

Posted by: Jorge | August 09, 2009 at 08:56 PM

Jorge well said. Mexicans still don’t understand that everyone in Concacaf really does hate the Mexican National team. Every single country in Concacaf smiles when they lose. Mexico might be respected elsewhere but not in Concacaf. Respect is earned. Mexico is not a team that wins and carries itself like a winner. They carry themselves the same way when they win or lose: like spoiled little brats. So I know that everyone whether they are Salvadoran, Honduran, Canadian, Jamaican, Costa Rican, or from the US; Concacaf will sit back and enjoy the downfall of Mexico in Azteca if it happens.

75. Katatonia says:

mexico is a third world country lol

76. HoBo says:

Mexican Goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa is a dirty player. Is he crazy, he’s running his mouth and then stating he’ll let his talk be shown on the field, is he retarded? I think he may be………..

77. Keith G. says:

This just got me more fired up for the match, and I didnt think that was possible. Just cuz they beat our weaker team 5-0, they now think that they have our number. No way, sorry Mexico, but we have had your number for the last 10 years. I am glad they are like this though, becuase our team could deffently catch them off guard. I am going to predict a 3-1 USA win, with goals from Altidore, Dempsey, and Donovan.

78. CrispyST3 says:

Mannnn, there has never been any1 that ive wanted to beat the living **** out of on this site then Trilogy, i love how so many guys are quick with there words, talking madddd smack, when they know they are behind a screen and keyboard, but if they were in my face, and they knew i was a die hard fan ready to knock any foo out for talkin mad smack about my and every other person on this site’s favorite TEAM! then i’m pretty sure YOU! Trilogy, would bite your tongue

79. jpc says:

If this kind of stuff wasn’t said. This rivalry wouldn’t be so great

80. Jorge says:

@Iammetro,

You are absolutely right on every count. That’s how people in the CONCACAF Region feel about the Mexican Team. It is unfortunate that Mexicans fail to see that.

81. Jorge says:

Crispy,

Now tell us how you really, really feel about Trilogy. LOL

82. Beto says:

C’mon guys … do not get mad … only for a simple words of Guardado and Ochoa …. ley them play both ( MEX & USA ) … we will se what happens …

83. jpc says:

my last comment wasn’t talking about the posting above it from Crispy… Although I enjoy shanking dudes who talk smack in the local Wendy’s parking lot at 4AM as much as the next guy, I would never promote taking it to the streets over cyber beef.

Unless it was some no nothin Jets fan talking Sh!t about the Phins.

84. Rastafari says:

Way to stoke it Ives!!!

85. JFC says:

Trilogy, you doubt ives? Blasphemy! Burn the traitor!

86. Jonathan says:

I know you dont think the dolphins are going to be any good this year..Tom Brady cant get hurt every year, lol. Go Broncos and USMNT!

87. B says:

I am living in Mexico right now and following this very closely. Mexican football fans don’t seem to care too much, at least the several I’ve talked to. I wouldn’t say they are fair-weather fans, but they basically say, “Mexico nationals just aren’t what they used to be. They are bad now.” I mean, I’m too young to remember, but I guess Mexico used to be a world-power in football, and so their fans are not as excited. However, every lead in for any sports program here is about the game. And the Mexican team is jacked. Every interview, even with my limited Spanish, you can tell they want it bad. Reallllly bad. If we could tie, that would be cause for a celebration. I agree with someone earlier – weather the storm and tack on an early goal. Take the Azteca crowd out of it as soon as you can. My 2 cents…

88. ChiTownFireFan says:

Worst possible result the USA loses. If my math is correct and I think it is, we are still a point ahead of Mexico. I want the USA to win this as much as anyone but I know the difficulties of winning on the road in CONCACAF especially in Azteca but a loss won’t derail our WC hopes. A USA win puts Mexico in a precarious position the I dream about but I won’t be crushed if the USA loses. I believe a tie will be had, our offense is better than their defense but their forward speed can and will score some goals

GO USA!

89. B says:

p.s. – Please stop with the racist, horrible comments about Mexico. Completely untrue.

And the other thing Mexican fans say – they hate Bruce Arena because he was racist, and they think most fans are racist, saying things like third world country and “dirty Indians”, which really has a lot of people pissed off. Someone somewhere said that long ago and they still are pissed.

90. mike says:

haha JPC its good to here that the hatred of the Jets is mutual in the AFC east!

here MUN’s pregame hype
    link to holamun2.com

91. mike says:

B— But chanting OSAMA OSAMA after thousands of Americans were killed is not racist and horrible?

92. Fulham Pete says:

Picture caption:
    “Nobody puts Baby in L’esquina.”

Tell me Guardado isn’t the spitting image of Jennifer Grey, pre-nose job.

93. Lil' Zeke says:

Ives I think you should strike physical threats from the record, but since it’s open season Crispy I’m going to bash your face in. And Mike, if your starting point is 1 (one) wrong, you can’t get to a right by piling on more wrong. Don’t Tread on the Nats, you lunkheads.

94. ryan says:

figures, no class from mexico.

95. jpc says:

Jonathon,

Actually, Tom Brady CAN get hurt every year. That’s what we have Porter, JT, Phillip Merling and Kendall Langford for. I’m not gonna say we’re going to the Superbowl this year, but I’m gonna cyber whisper it. We’re going to the super bowl

96. DingDong says:

mike – Chanting Osama was certainly horrible (not sure about racist). But none of the Mexicans I know would do that, and even if they did, it’s no reason for us to stoop to same level.

97. Miguelito says:

Holy sh!t, I thought this was a story about Mexico’s womens team with that picture. That girl is really on the Mexico mens national team?

98. Bill in Md. says:

@B Why do Mexican fans think that Bruce Arena is racist? That’s a new one for me.

99. DC Josh says:

Mexico just added fuel to a fire that was all ready out of control. It has consumed their training camp, their locker room, their hotel rooms. That fire will arrive Tuesday night in the form of 20 men, and will engulf Estadio Azteca Wednesday afternoon.

Vamos E.E.U.U.

100. martha c says:

Christain is a moron.

The Mexican fans can shoot an American player and hed defend that.

I dont have a problem with what Ochoa says. But Guradado saying theyd win 3-0 is arrogance at its height.

Hes a good player but hes still a mousy b!tch. Someone needs to shut him up Wed.

We are a Superpower and Mexico is a third world country. Yet the other teams in the region hate Mexico more than us because of the lack of class theyve shown throughout history.

I just hope they dont lay another stinker like they did against Costa Rica.

101. James Thurber says:

¡Qué mono! El chiquito mexicano piensa que ellos pueden ganar. Sin embargo, la realidad es que los Estados Unidos tiene el equipo mejor y que este partido va a demostrar que México no puede vencer a los Estados Unidos (con su “equipo A”) aun cuando juegan en la Azteca.

¡Vámonos USA!

102. How is it classless for Mexico to say they are going to win and not for Jozy to do the same?

This is not about winning and losing right now. It is about points. If we can steal 3 points from Mexico in Azteca, great. If we can walk away with a point, just as good.

To think we are going to walk into Mexico City and steal 3 points, we are fooling ourselves.

Our focus needs to be on qualification. Let our play do the talking.

103. harry balsac says:

everyone hates mexico- go to an away concacaf game, need a little something in common to break the ice? ask if they like mexico and bingo, your are one of the boys.

104. stephen says:

How old is Guardado? 12?

105. Sean says:

I don’t really think that the Mexicans can call themselves “physically better”. Faster? Maybe. More athletic? Not a chance

106. MVK says:

I think I went to highschool with that chick in the picture..

107. Felix says:

I was actually starting to think that the younger generation of Mexican players didn’t have that overt arrogance that some of the older generation had, especially concerning the US. Guess I was wrong.

108. harry balsac says:

mvk- we all did… the little ho

109. Christian says:

DOS A CERO! ESTADOS UNIDOS!

Posted by: USA wins

You’re right.

Guardado has actually had an succesful European career, unlike Donovan.

110. Sg says:

Pressure is on Mex to win. If they don’t score early they will be in trouble

111. Granitza78 says:

My prediction –

USA will loses 3-0 to Mexico.

USA will qualify for SA 2010.

USA will beat Mexico 3-0 in the round of 16.

New chant : Tres A Cero! Tres A Cero! Tres A Cero!

112. radi0head says:

A lot of people love to talk about how other teams don’t show class, yet dont bother to show any themselves.

Realize this, you dont have to hate the opposition to love your own team.

That being said, I sincerely believe the USMNT and am cutting out of work early to go root for them!

113. BlueWhiteLion says:

MVK, lol.

Lorinczi–Any time any player “guarantees” a win–that is fodder for the other team. A few of us non-Mexico apologists (contra Christian) are saying we don’t have a problem with what the Mexican guys are saying for the most part, but they are a little dumb to give such motivation to the US players. What Jozy said was pretty benign, AND it was on twitter, for cryin’ out loud. I would hope both teams think they are going to win. In the context of Mexico’s historic condescending attitudes, I think that is what makes Guadardo’s statement more fuel on the fire. (and to be frank, it seems a little dumb.)

I don’t think the US is the best team in the world just because they made it to two finals (albeit two different teams). But Donovan’s form and ‘tude is exciting and it rubs off on the others. There is a lot of momentum going in the Yanks’ favor.

Christian … I am disappointed in you taking a cynical potshot at Donovan’s Euro career. :)

114. Johnny G says:

Guardado looks exactly like the girl who took my order at McDonald’s this morning…except she looked a bit more masculine.

115. dbex says:

Picture caption:

“Nobody puts Baby in L’esquina.”

Posted by: Fulham Pete | August 10, 2009 at 02:06 AM

______________________

LMAO…..well-played, Pete. As for the game – I think it’ll be a tight one, and I’m excited as hell. I’ll be pumped if we weather the first 20 mins without conceding a goal.

116. 505anthony says:

Mexico, I can’t wait to kick the *&%$ out of you guys in front of your fans. Of course I’m not looking forward to your diving and belligerent fouling, but hopefully the ref is up to making sure they won’t affect the game. Dos a cero. Grime and all.

117. Mikemike says:

J-Ro,

Well put.

-Mike

118. Chas says:

If the US brings the ‘A’ game, we win. Anything less we loose. Just that simple.

119. RLW2020 says:

PUMPED.. should be a good game. marquez is out again and a number of US players are in a good groove right now and in top form, unlike the games vs. honduras and CRC.

Channel 705 on comcast too.. mun2 haha sure..

ives how about a list of matchups before the game? i don’t know the Mexicans that well.. only watch them, besides Blanco and Marquez a few times a year

120. Sg says:

This could be a classic.

121. Vince says:

Didn’t Santa Anna say the same thing after The Alamo and before they started losing the Mexican-American War?

122. Dos Cero says:

Dos Cero sounds better ;).

I love the classy comments so far, because after all the classiest fans right are Americans, right? Bringing politics into a soccer match is great, makes us remember how superior we are racially, politically, economically, and ect.

Can’t wait for Lando to start yelling “Mexico sucks!” and “where’s Mexico?”, like he always does. Class act that Donovan.

Remember guys, we are God chooses ones, he choose this country to be great and we will continue to prove it come Aug12. Manifest Destiny was the greatest gift from God to man.

Dos Cero streak continues…

123. Brent McD. says:

Superiority Complex (n): an overly high opinion of oneself; refers to the unrealistic and exaggerated belief that one is better than one actually is in reality. this often develops as a way to compensate for unconscious feelings of low self-esteem or inadequacy. see El Tri (Mexican futbol)

124. Tim says:

Funny how many here ask for class when they dont even show it. BTW Donovan is not the best example of class. If you guys want to see some “class” go watch golf. When it comes to sports like basketball, football or soccer there is not such thing us class. Remember Landon peeing at the mexican study? funny right? not classy but still funny. Get over your classy arguments. the US in general have more class than the mexicans but they arent really the perfect example of class. This is all just part of the game.

125. DFJersey says:

For such a “powerful” group of players the Mexicans seem to fall down a lot when we play them. What’s the over/under for the number of dives by El Tri on Wednesday?

126. bryan says:

lol they are more physical. HAHAHAHAHA good one Ochoa. you’re hilarious.

127. Ted Decker says:

If landon scores in this game he should celebrate by taking a piss on the azteca field.

128. Trilogy says:

SBI-

I made the mistake of not checking the link at the top and for that I apologize. I do want to point out that ‘ESTO’ is an “amarillista” paper, sort of like a tabloid paper sometimes, and much like you stoke the fires, so do they! In NO other paper, or anywhere for that matter did I hear this declaration by Guardado! Normally Mediotiempo would report ANY AND ALL comments the players give as they arrive at the airport. Obviously you reproduced a story THAT WAS PRINTED, but I (personal opinion) STILL DOUBT THAT GUARDADO GAVE A SCORE!
    The Ochoa story on the other hand is 100% verifiable and even I don’t agree with some of his comments but I find the offense of some who post here laughable!

To CrispyST3, you hide behind a computer screen just as much as I do! I back up the rest of my post 100%! You’re obviously a hater that’s comfortable amongst other haters! Anytime, anywhere OK!!! (Yo como los hombres aqui estoy!)

Finally, Blanco today praised the performance of the American team at Confederations Cup and said that the game on Wednesday, was going to be very difficult, and that however made mistakes was going to lose the game!

So even though the positive comments by the many Mexicans who voice them, won’t get front page news here, as the “negative” scattered ones will, I definitely am going to mention them!

Here’s the link, (it’s in Spanish!):

link to mediotiempo.com

129. Gabe says:

I burn with anger at these quotes. I really hate that mexican soccer squad. really. crush them boys. please.

130. papa bear says:

@Posted by: christian | August 09, 2009 at 09:09 PM

You are either dumb or just a Mexican homer of the highest order. Your comparisons are ludicrously invalid.

ANYONE with eyes knew that the US and Mexico weren’t sending ‘A’ teams to the Gold Cup. Most the chatter on this site was people pleasantly surprised that the US made it as far with the C team but most, myself included, thought Mexico brought a slightly stronger side and would have a good chance of taking the title. (which they did in resounding fashion)

Guardado’s statement is absurd by and large. I have no problem with confidence that your side can win. I mean you shouldn’t play if you don’t think you can win. However, to make statements that history and anyone with eyes can determine are false is another story.

10+ years of the US beating Mexico more often than not shows us that the soccer skills are obviously close enough to even to be a wash I think we can all agree.

Physically…seriously? Does anyone on earth really believe Mexico has a more physical squad than the US? Mexico are a finesse squad through and through. Not that there is anything wrong with that. (see Barcelona) but I’m pretty sure Gooch and Boca are bigger and taller than Mexico’s entire back line combined.

Can Mexico win 3-0? Sure. They are tough as hell to beat at home. Are they more skilled and physical than the US? History shows Guardado is speaking out his a$$ on that one.

I just hope the boys give him a big can of STFU juice on Wednesday.

131. Scott A says:

Christian, if you look back to the day of the Gold Cup Final I left a post very similar to that. I basically said ‘Congratulations Mexico, get you next time’. And this is coming from a fan. It’s laughable how you continually compare USA fan blog posts to Mexico player quotes. Would be great to see you compare Mexico blog posts to USA player quotes. Whatever, game on, let’s shut them up and then give them haircuts from this decade

132. Ita says:

I’m sorry for all the American fans that think you’re going somewhere with Bob Bradley.

133. Maitor says:

papa bear-

I’m Mexican and I agree that if Guardado made the statement that Mexico will win 3-0, he’s out of his mind! Only thing is I don’t believe he did! As trilogy said, some papers like ESTO, are very unreliable, to the point where sometimes they’re like tabloids!
    I tried to find that statement EVERYWHERE and could not find anything. That is strange to say the least! But I repeat, if he did say it, he’s being stupid to say the least!
    Now Landon Donovan today said that the US is better than Mexico EVRYWHERE except maybe at the Azteca!

link to ballhype.com

And/or that the US is better, period!

link to exonline.com.mx

On the other hand Blanco said that the game was going to be VERY DIFFICULT and that the team that made mistakes would lose the game! He also said that the US had played very well in the Confederations…

link to mediotiempo.com

What crosses the line in an otherwise excellent forum, is the level of hatred and racist remarks that some posters disguise as opinions!

134. Oscar says:

hey dude get your story straight at the gold cup that was not our a team where was pavel pardo where was rafael marquez omar bravo cuahtemoc blanco just to name a few and not even guardado played come on if u knew your soccer you would know that was not our a team and i predict a mexico victory 2-1

135. Goalscorer24 says:

Still so arrogant! I hope the US really takes it to them!