USA-Mexico qualifier to be aired in English on mun2

JozyAltidoreMarquez (ISIphotos.com)

Photo by ISIphotos.com

The USA-Mexico World Cup qualifier on Aug. 12 in Mexico City is going to be broadcast in English. You're just going to have to work a bit harder to see it.

Telemundo announced on Monday that it will broadcast the match the match in Spanish on Telemundo and on English on mun2, an English-language channel geared toward young Latinos in the United States. The announcement comes after it was revealed last week that Telemundo had rejected reasonable offers for the English-language rights to the match.

So what happened to ESPN's bid for the match? According to sources, the bid was killed by Telemundo's exorbitant price tag, which one source put at between three and four times what ESPN was willing to pay and what is usually paid for those type of matches.

"They set a price they knew nobody would pay," said one source. "It's safe to say they had no intention of selling."

So where do you get mun2 exactly?

If you have DirecTV, mun2 can be found in channel 410 and can be seen as part of the DirecTV Latin Programming package. Don't get that package? If you're dead set on watching the match in English, you may want to consider ordering the Latin Programming package for the month of August and cancelling after the match. There is no word yet on who will be calling the game for mun2.

If that doesn't work, then you may be forced to either find an English-language feed on the internet or watching the game at a soccer bar.

Should USA fans be upset with this development? Yes, but they should also realize that, prior to the 2005 World Cup qualifier at Azteca, the USA-Mexico road qualifiers were never shown on English-language television. As one U.S. soccer official told me last week, it's not an ideal scenario, but isn't unheard of either.

That isn't stopping some fans from organizing petitions to try and put pressure on NBC Universal, parent company of Telemundo, to air the match on another NBC network.

What do you think of this development? Will you be ordering mun2? Will you watch the match at a soccer bar or via web feed instead? Planning to make the trip to Mexico City instead?

This entry was posted in CONCACAF, Mexican Soccer, U.S. Men's National Team, World Cup Qualifying. Bookmark the permalink.

162 Responses to USA-Mexico qualifier to be aired in English on mun2

1. Brüno says:

Can you score me some Tix to the USA v Mexico Game at Azteca..? because USSocer are are an inept bunch of clowns

2. Mark says:

That sucks…greedy pricks.

3. CACuzcatlan says:

Not like the commentators are any good. I’m gonna watch at a soccer pub so I’m not gonna hear anything they say anyway.

4. John in FL says:

dirty greedy pigs, can’t forget the dirty cause that’s the only way they know how to play!!

5. Pat says:

Well, that just sucks. Sufficed to say, there are no soccer pubs in Portland, ME.

6. Joga Rooch says:

They put such zombies on to commentate in English (yes, John Harkes and you too JP Dellacamera) or folks that are lame for other reasons (Tommy Smyth and the auld onion bag) that it is far more entertaining to watch it in Spanish. And my spanish is only halfway decent. I think that is part of why soccer is doomed to fail in our country. It is so much about packaging and right now, the packing stinks! I’ve always dug the way EPL matches are commentated but that wouldn’t fly for the mainstream. At least Eric Wynalda is gone. Prick was miserable to listen to….

7. Brian-Indy says:

No matter we are going to kick their azz no matter what channel the game is on. I for one plan on going to my neighborhood Mexican establishment with my USA jersey on and flag on my shoulders…I dear them to turn me away.

8. DJ Barnett says:

Guess I should brush up on my Spanish. But it won’t be two hard to learn 2-0 anyway!!!!! USA!!!!USA!!!!

9. Brian-Indy says:

dos a cero

10. Adam says:

nor are there any in south bend, IN. Looks telemundo for me. I always love hearing the spanish announcers say GGGGGOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

So at least I have that to look forward to.

11. three11stu says:

I am going to love hearing the Spanish commentators as the U.S. Kills mexico!

12. Erik says:

A bit ridiculous – I don’t even know if I get Telemundo on Direct TV. Don’t care about English or not, the world cup is better on Univision.

13. Aquaman says:

If I watch on Mun2, will there be the normal amounts of sweet, sweet booty shaking that I’m accustomed to seeing on said channel?

14. brant says:

welllll… I *was* going to bail early on work to go watch. Now I’ll stay there and find a web feed somewhere.

Maybe NBC will pull their heads out of the rumps and broadcast it somewhere.

15. rachna says:

It’s also on Dish Network 868 and you don’t need the Spanish package for it. All you need is the largest channel package, the one that also has FSC

16. Robert says:

It’s annoying to me just because it won’t be in HD. At least I don’t have to listen to only Spanish with mun2. I can’t stand how partisan Andres Cantor and Sammy Sadovnik are… BTW: you guys are ARGENTINEAN, not Mexican!

17. CapeCodFutbol says:

wtf I might have to be healthy on a Wednesday with international soccer on?

18. Jorge says:

Folks,

It was reported yesterday by ESPN Deportes that the official who officiated the Mexico-Panama and Canada-Honduras games is the same official assigned by FIFA to be the referee for the US-Mexico game on August 12.

Go figure.

19. Jorge says:

@Robert,

Telemundo is now in HD.

20. Jeff says:

While I understand the business logic behind this decision, I think it is crap! I’ve already filled out the petition and have been emailing NBC every day since I found out (late last week).

21. Erik says:

Is there not a FIFA rule that is supposed to prevent this kind of thing?

22. AdamTheRed says:

This will be a ratings bonanza for Telemundo.

As pissed as we all are, all of us are going to watch the damn thing.

23. Jorge says:

People,

For those wanting to watch the game in HD, Telemundo already broadcasts in that format.

I still think that the commentators on Univision are much better.

24. Adam M. says:

NBC should be smart and put it on one of their networks.

25. Daniel says:

Are this matches on any English radio station? If so and Spanish bothers you, try watching on the Spanish channel, volume off and radio on.

26. baquito alyeska says:

I’m in Portland, ME as well, Pat. If you’re on Time-Warner: No Telemundo, no mun2, and of course no soccer pubs. We’re just hella screwed.

I’ve been on twitter trying to get @nbc_sports to at least respond to their greed.

27. Rastafari says:

Can’t hack 2 hours of Spanish? Is the English version is any more tolerable?

28. joe k says:

erik — what rule would that be?
    telemundo is an american channel, so what’s the problem?

incidentally, according to wikipedia, telemundo is owned by NBC, so why doesn’t NBC just broadcast it on their affiliates?
    link to en.wikipedia.org

29. steve says:

well i dont have direct tv, and time warner cable doesn’t have telemundo. damn.

30. baquito alyeska says:

Some of us can’t even get the Spanish version.

31. Jorge says:

joe,

You are right. Telemundo is now owned by NBC.

32. oscar_in_fw says:

I will start boycotting NBC if there is not an English language broadcast available throughout the country and let NBC know my intentions. I don’t believe Mun2 eill be available nationwide.

I’ll still watch the game but it could be iffy if the “soccer” bar will spring for Mun2 just for this one (1) match.

33. Jorge says:

@steve,

where you located?

34. What a load of ****ing bull****. Is this a ratings ploy? A marketing gimmick? Because there’s no way in hell they’re going to get anything but backlash from soccer fans over this. Ask for more than any network in their right mind would pay so that they can keep it for themselves on one of the most obscure channels there is? (Seriously, raise your hand if you actually knew there was a second Telemundo network. That’s what I thought.)

35. Daniel says:

MUN 2 in Bergen County, NJ Channel 197 from Cablevision’s Optimum cable boxes. I’m assuming that whoever has Cablevision can get that channel.

36. RLW2020 says:

i sent an email to nbc..see if that does anything. owell estoy listo a escuchar el juego en espanol. tambien ahora tenemos un cosa nueva que odiar mexico.

37. RLW2020 says:

sidenote… Soccer pubs in Boston area? anyone around.. suggestions..

Ives – do you have a list of pubs/restaurants that you hit up in your travels?

38. Chris May says:

Esta bien. Puedo practicar mi espanol!

39. kahlva says:

Here’s the online petition going on:

link to ipetitions.com

40. jp992751 says:

looks like I am giving more hit to rojadirecta.com for this one. Such crap. I don’t get Telemundo or Mun2 and am nowhere near a sports bar that shows soccer.

41. JFC says:

link to soccerbars.com

check to see if theres a pub in your area

42. DCM says:

Mun2 on Comcast 607 here in Indy… who knew… I even get it and didn’t know anything about the channel before all of this

43. Supsam says:

to be honest, i would rather watch telemundo rather than harkes and JP even if i had a choice. those guys are so dry and bland that it ruins the experience of the game. On the other hand, those telemundo commentators have a passion for their sports and they express it with the same amount of passion. How often do you guys hear JP screaming the play by play for minutes straight?

I also must not, FSC commentators are the worst! Especially when they start comparing players with Europeans: “reminds me of an Henry” or “Ronaldo like step over” guhhhhhhh

telemundo>ESPN>FSC and thats not saying much about telemundo and this is coming from someone who only took three years of spanish in high school (that was like 5 years ago since i last took a spanish class)

44. Charley says:

haha si, RLW2020, es mas.

45. thedoc says:

NBC could make bank by putting it on Bravo or USA. both could be in HD and the game is when almost no one is watch the those channels anyway. Its a Wednesday afternoon. I think both channels could use the publicity. USA network could deff plug some of their better shows and attract a larger audience.

46. KC says:

I don’t get Telemundo, I only get Univision & Galavision…I am screwed. I had better be able to find a good internet feed. Pisses me off.

47. Jules says:

Telemundo intentionally priced it so high that no one would buy it. They’re not greedy, they’re a**holes! I think it’s interesting that a network based in the United States is going out of it’s way to stick it to… the United States, or at least the fans of it’s national team. I would urge a boycott but I’m assuming most of you have been doing that for years. We need to make some noise at NBC and motivate them to step in here because this is bulls**t! It’s not that English commentators are so great, it’s the principal of the matter that’s infuriating. We should never have to put up with this.

48. Jorge says:

If anyone gets Telemundo on cable or satellite, you very likely are getting it in HD format.

49. wyo fan says:

Let’s see, USSF sold the English language rights for the USMNT to a Spanish speaking network. Couldn’t see that being a problem some day…

50. Rafael says:

Filled the petition last week when I haeard. I think everyone should do the same even if you don’t mind watching the match in spanish. The key here is that we need to have the USMNT on an English speaking channel. No matter how awful the commentators are, we still need to have the match in English. FSC has the Gold Cup matches for USMNT, why can’t NBC do the same for this match.

It’s time for the USMNT to have their home channel. Whether it be ESPN or FSC. It’s time!

51. SayervilleFC says:

Is it live on Mun2?

If this hadn’t been said previously, Mun2 is on channel 838 on dish network and you don’t need the Latino package to get it.

52. JD says:

If comparing 2005 and 2009 is the standard for outrage, meaning that because it’s been worse before we’re not allowed to be angry, the soccer is worse off in this country than I originally believe. Things should get better, not remain the same; Telemundo sees new interest in the game and the USMNT as a way to leverage exposure for mun2, which actually proves that the soccer public has more clout than before. We’re being punished because there’s actual drawing power now.

53. T says:

Here’s Telemundo’s info:

Telemundo Television Studios

7355 NW 41st Miami Florida 33166 Phone (305) 640-7777 Fax : (305) 640-7778 E-Mail : info@telemundostudios.com

54. Turtle says:

wyo fan – I believe Mexico owns the rights to this game becasue it’s in Mexico.

55. Brian says:

Posted by: wyo fan | July 20, 2009 at 03:03 PM

———————————————

No, they didn’t. The USSF has no rights to this game. All the rights belong with the FMF. The home team controls the TV rights in qualifying. That’s why a qualifier in 2001 (I think) from Honduras (I think) was on PPV because they pulled the same crap with re-selling the US rights.

People can talk about boycotting and petitions all they want. NBC/Telemundo are getting their revenge for FIFA tipping the scales toward ESPN with the WC bid. This is politics between the networks. The fans don’t matter one bit in this.

56. Sack up and go to the game people!!!!!!

57. David says:

What a huge step back for US Soccer. After the huge PR and marketing boom that was the Confed Cup, and an nice run by a US B-team at the Gold Cup, the most important remaining World Cup Qualifier will barely be seen in English in this country. How is this sport supposed to grow if it isn’t even deemed important enough to be shown. Sad.

58. JB says:

You got to love Mediacom. I don’t get Telemundo, mun2, Univision or GOL TV and can’t even upgrade to a service which offers them.

59. Colin says:

I have both Telemundo AND mun2, but I’m not looking forward to watching it on either. I TOTALLY get why NBC stuck it to ESPN, but they should have promoted the hell out of it and put it on NBC. Hell, put it in primetime in HD and call your pregame show “Futbol Night in America.” Get Keith Olbermann and Dan Patrick and like 10 other washed up soccer players… it could be amazing.

Thanks, General Electric.

60. Justin says:

Turtle, that is correct.

61. Jorge says:

Here is a list of all Telemundo affiliates/stations in the different states. I hope this helps.

link to en.wikipedia.org

62. CPTKevin says:

I’ll watch on Telemundo and just press the SAP button on my remote control… won’t that make the voices come out as english? It makes the english comes out in spanish if you’re watching American TV?!!!!! :-)

63. yankiboy says:

Like I said before about this whole thing: It’s not personal. You guys can call it “greed” (seems a little harsh to me but hey, “greed is in the eye of the beholder)It’s market forces at work. They got the rights.

NBC apparently isn’t interested (at least not at this point) at putting the game on USA because they don’t want to interrupt their House and NCIS Marathon.

It’s leverage, folks. Telemundo/NBC selling the rights to ESPN would have surprised me more than them sending English language feed to the wasteland known as mun2… It would sort of be like (on a fractional scale) NBC parcelling out the Men’s Olympic Soccer to ESPN just because some the US made a run instead of relegating it to CBNC…

64. yankiboy says:

@Colin: Keith Oberman?!?

Thanks a lot Bro. You just made me see the bright side of things. I’ll take mun2 any day of the week over that blowhard. I can’t stand that guy.

Well played.

65. Jamie Z. says:

I’ll be watching it on Telemundo. That way, I get to watch the game on my television AND don’t have to listen to irritating American commentary.

66. jensph says:

FiOS carries Telemundo and Mun2, but not in HD…

67. Al17 says:

Posted by: Brian | July 20, 2009 at 03:11 PM

BINGO. The FIFA rule allows the hosting Federation to determine who can broadcast those matches. I would love to see ESPN and USSF retaliate by not allowing a Mexican TV company the opportunity to broadcast the next USA-Mexico match from a city in the USA. I’m all about the Eye for and Eye thing with this one. I won’t have a problem watching since I’m in major city but I feel bad for those of you whom are in much smaller markets in which you’ve gotta search like crazy to watch this match. NBC / Telemundo is so full of it on this one. Maybe people should threaten to boycott the winter Olympics telecast in retaliation. Their ears will perk up then once sponsors get wind of it.

68. will m. says:

i didnt realize so many people dont like harkes and dellacamera. i love them.

69. jensph says:

“mun2 is the bilingual network that celebrates the lifestyle of Latino young adults in their authentic voice. mun2 brings you the best in music, entertainment, new trends and everything reflective of young Latinos from coast to coast.”

70. Jerry says:

It looks like MUN2 is in HD on ATT Uverse at channel 3009.

71. Al17 says:

Posted by: CPTKevin | July 20, 2009 at 03:14 PM

LOL – Good one!!! (not sure if you’re joking or not, although I assume that you are)

Probably not since to the best of my knowledge Telemundo doesn’t provide that option.

I didnt realize so many people dont like harkes and dellacamera. i love them.

Posted by: will m.

I like JP. Harkes I can’t stand. He gets worse everytime he calls a match. Does he actually do his homework before he calls a match? E.G. in the USA-Italy Confederation’s Cup match he noted that one of the Italian players was involved in the Zidane head butting incident. Materazzi wasn’t called up for Italy for the Confederation’s Cup. I think he was referring to Zambrotta, gotta review the tape to make sure. This is an easy one to NOT screw up so badly.

72. Aaron says:

I can’t imagine that any Irish pub wouldn’t be showing the game in a relatively medium sized American city.

That being said – what all do you need to hear that you can’t get on Spanish language broadcast?

Goal = Gol

Ball = Pelota

USA/American = Gringo

Donovan = Donovan

Bradley = Bradley

Dempsey, Onyewu, etc., etc.

73. yankiboy says:

@jensph: Don’t believe the marketing hype. It kinda cracks me up that proefessionals wrote that.

I have had the channel for about 4 months now (that I know of).

The music videos–while popular–are lame.

(Can a Brutha get a little more los fabulosos or aterciopelados, por favor).

The shows are corny (sorry jovenes).

I can’t comment on the trends because I haven’t watched it long enough to find out what the next “big” thing is going to be.

Then again, I’m a really sqaure, old, non-latino so I am clearly not in their target demographic (that is an indusrty term, kids).

Just think mtv tres or just plain old mtv.

They are going to use this to make people aware that mun2 exists. That way, fewer sqares like me won’t have to just stumble into the channel.

74. meyers says:

Strangly enough I can’t find Telemundo on my Comcast….but I have mun2. Yes! (up in the 700′s near GolTV)

75. William the Terror says:

this is not that big a deal. i speak no spanish at all, and i watch games on Univision, Telefutura and Telemundo all the time. It’s a football game, for chrissakes. the only spanish you really need to know are the following four words: tiro, pelota, falta, and GOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLL.

76. yankiboy says:

ok. I know that I am clowing mun2 but to be honest, they do have an indie show and they do show some interesting videos from some interesting artists, you just have to sift through a lot of stuff that you might hate to get the the stuff that you like.

And besides, just in case you thought that they don’t take their sports seriously, they do show WWE RAW…

77. KCB says:

Did the MatchFitUSA prepped email. Works for us that only have time for a smash n’ grab job while at work.

78. wyo fan says:

Posted by: wyo fan | July 20, 2009 at 03:03 PM

———————————————

Posted by: Brian | July 20, 2009 at 03:11 PM

My bad.

I fear we’re simply SOL on this one. Threats on future viewing likely won’t move the networks. I do think the petition and emails are good ideas. If they hear enough support, there is a chance they’ll reconsider. These things can work (due to budget cuts our Geology Museum in Wyoming was closed but will reopen due to a groundswell of support, including a massive ipetition, and more relevant to this discussion, TV shows have been brought back from the dead after fans let the networks hear about it). But I won’t hold my breath.

I’ll be vacationing in New Jersey during game time so perhaps I’ll have access there (Clifton, NJ). Any good soccer viewing bars in the area?

79. RLW2020 says:

rather listen to some mexican than JP/Harks/whatever dude is broadcasting in english?? really! entiendo espanol and I watch a mexican game from time to time but this is America’s team! English please!
    –sorry nothing brings out US Nationalism like WCQs

80. Ross says:

I don’t quite understand the problem. Anybody who has been a fan of American soccer for any length of time knows that on occasion the game you want to watch is only available in Spanish. It’s not that big a deal.

81. RLW2020 says:

and this mun2 crap…a channel that noone has ever watched marketed to young hispanics… ya okay ..f—that

82. Brian says:

My bad.

Posted by: wyo fan | July 20, 2009 at 03:44 PM

—————————————

One thing with the USSF that did happen is that they changed their Spanish-language partnership from Telemundo to Univision a few years ago. This coupled with the World Cup big situation made any detente pretty much an impossibility.

83. Indie FC says:

Yup, sucks big time. There’s really only one way to respond to this and that is to ensure that the next US/Mexico game in the US is not only not offered to Mexico (if we have to offer it, offer it for a price that far exceeds their national budget), but not transmitted in Spanish. There’s also one other way to protest…. don’t watch the game on a network. Go to Jeremytv or some other site and watch it there. Protests, mail-ins, etc., all good, but not always effective. If you want to pressure NBC, write their sponsors, tell them you’ll never buy another one of their products if they don’t air it on a US network. If they get a few thousand emails, I guarantee this game will be on NBC. Period.

84. Dudinho says:

Why cant NBC just place the english telecast on the new over the air digital channel they set up for sports. Well at least here in LA they have a sports channel. All they show is reruns of athletics from the bejing olympics.might a well put the game on there. they did it for an LA Sol game. For those worried about Hi Def here in LA the over the air digital channel feed for Telemundo is in 1080i and it isn’t compressed like your cable or satellite feeds. Just stick an Antenna on your tv and scan.

85. metrostar 4 life says:

wow. f**k telemundo they shouldn’t have the rights to a game like this…I’m still shocked ESPN wouldn’t buy this this is by far the biggest qualifier and with the recent U.S. success and more house-hold names, this would have made ESPN a lot of money, but yea f**k telemundo because now I can’t and won’t watch it.

86. MVK says:

NBC is pretty much a terrorist organization for doing this…

Very questionable choice by NBC PR wise, just shows you how much they actaully care about the American people, though their laughable “news” organization should have tipped me to this earlier.

87. yankiboy says:

@Indie: If their sponsors got 20,000 emails the game still wouldn’t make it to the NBC shopping network, let alone NBC or CNBC or USA.

Bro, I admire your passion but let’s not make it seem it is as simple as that.

88. Hush says:

I think the commentators are going to be Jesus & Bracamontes! They’re Mexican, but not all that biased. I love the way they talk about the U.S team on how much soccer has grown in this country. Also when soemone touches the ball they tell you exactly which Euro club they belong too or where they are headed. I also love the whole, GGGOOOOOOOAAAALLLLLLL!!!!lol

FSC & ESPN suck a lot of the fun away from a game with it’s wack ass commentators. I only like the Brit guy who occasionally does ESPN soccer games, he is usually on GolTV.

USA 1 mex 0

89. yankiboy says:

All joking aside, I’m sorry for those of you who can’t get the game because of lack of telemundo and mun2 availability; that has got to be incredibly frustrating.

Sometimes some of us forget how fortunate we are to be able to get access to the games in any language, let alone having the option to watch the game in English (period). I’m glad that mun2 is an option for those people that want it and can get it.

90. chupacabra says:

Screw it. I’ll watch the match on Telemundo for free, turn down the sound, and blast Slayer’s Reign in Blood CD in repeat mode through the old Genelecs at 11.

91. Michael Cuello says:

Don’t go crazy yet since I’m not so sure about this but if you’re going to be watching this at a bar on Telemundo you might get the caption in English like Telemundo does for many of their shows.

92. Matt in SF says:

Mun2 can also be found on Dishnetwork channel 838 according to their website. Part of “AT250″ (that’s the everything but the kitchen sink package).

93. Dominick says:

This sucks because it saps the publicity momentum from the Nats. People on this blog will find the game (I’ll be at the Chili’s in Evanston for an early afternoon off)–but the casual fan, who was sucked into the Gold Cup run…and the publicity we will get from our first win at Azteca? -poof- gone. One site references people at NBC to contact–we should also be contacting the US Federation. They are suppossed to also care about promoting the game!!

94. brian says:

i culdnt find it on the comcast listing in pittsburgh anyone else if it is or not

95. Tim says:

Seriously, if you dont get mun2, you are little bitch who needs to pay a few more dollars for better digital cable or satellite. It comes with pretty much every package that costs more then $50 a month (not including internet).

96. Pico says:

If there is a lesson to be learned here is that the sooner we raise our children to learn and master two or more languages the better. If I was to place bets I would say Spanish and Mandarin would serve them best in the future. Hopefully that way they would be spared of some idiotic comments posted here.

It should be noted that for the longest time, Spanish TV (Univision, Telemundo) and Italian RAI were the only sources of football in the US. Many non Spanish speaking friends have being introduced to the game mainly because the emotion that their announcers project, something that I is hard to find in English broadcasts.

Cheers

97. yankiboy says:

@Tim: Seriously Bro, please tell me that you were bing “sarcastic” with the little bitch comment. There is a recession going on and while I have been really fortunate and had not had to kill my cable, some of our brothers and sisters have not been so fortunate. A lot of people have had to let their cable go in order to pay for necessities; cable is a luxury.

If you weren’t goofin’ then I am glad that you are doing well enough to keep connected.

If you were goofin’ then just disregard my questioning if you were goofin’ or not.

Maximum respect.

98. Dan Gleesack says:

ill be watching in spanish… sometimes it’s more fun that way anyway

99. Rastafari says:

Ives.. Bringing back the term Grassroots!!

100. questionable says:

This f-ing game from the start was f-ed toward the general public. I am the only big footie fan in my group of friends, but my friends love sports and also like the country we live in. We always get together for US games just like we do for UFC or KU basketball games; but the time was moved up which screws these casual fans because they would have to take time from work off to see it.

101. Al17 says:

Posted by: Michael Cuello | July 20, 2009 at 04:10 PM

When have they ever done this for a football match? They won’t do it for this match.

Those of you saying a petition won’t work shouldn’t discourage others from trying. Remember NBC’s response when they screwed up Olympic broadcasts for soccer? Changed their tune mighty damn fast thanks to people phoning them.

We actually need to put the bug in the ear of someone at US Soccer to return the favor to Mexico. El Tri can play many matches in the USA to make a buck but the FMF wants to screw us over on this one? F… them!!!! Maybe if they have to go pay per view for a USA-Mexico match in Mexico then this crap will stop and only with an English feed.

Simple solution to stopping this crap. It is so simple.

102. mike says:

looks like i’ll be ordering the spanish package of direcTv for the month of august.

i’m sure the picture will be crap compared to and HD feed but I guees it’s better than nothin

103. Pico says:

P.S.

To all those outraged about NBC/Telemundo’s handling of the situation, it does not get any more American than this. It is the free markets at work. They know there is a demand and if someone wants it, they have to pay for it.

Cheers

104. JCC says:

I don’t see what the big deal is, just watch it on Telemundo. Also this is a win-win for NBC. People that don’t have Telemundo or Mun2 and want to see this game badly enough will pay subscription to get it, even if it’s for one month like Ives suggested, it’ll bring the network a ton of cash. No amount of protesting is going to erase the dollar signs NBC and Telemundo have in their sights right now.

105. Al17 says:

Cheers

Posted by: Pico | July 20, 2009 at 04:25 PM

Hunh????

Makes no sense at all. Hell, if wasn’t for an FCC ruling Spanish and other TV stations broadcasting in a foreign language in the USA probably wouldn’t exist. I grew up watching the RAI show in Chicago and I have friends who grew up in other parts of the country that saw Soccer in Germany and other such shows but the game has grown and evolved to the point where we have more stuff to watch for free than damn nearly any other place on the planet. This match should be broadcast in English on an outlet that we can all access easily. Telemundo could have sold the broadcast rights to ESPN and still made much more coin than they’ll ever make off of airing it on some obscure TV channel that very few people have access to.

Learning another language doesn’t have a damn thing to do with this issue. The business side of this doesn’t make much sense at all. It’s just dumb.

106. sonicdeathmonkey says:

For those who want to know, Comcast and Dish in the Atlanta market get MUN2.

107. Pico says:

Al17,

Being bilingual in this case has everything to do with it. It completely negates the dope business decisions of others. What is more, it gives you the ability to choose if options are available.

Cheers

108. patrick says:

anyone in NYc, Mun2 is available on Time Warner, I just checked

109. Mike says:

I live in upstate New York, I don’t get ****ing Telemundo or mun2. This is trash.

110. RedBullsDefenseSucks says:

Channel 126 if you’re in NYC and get Time-Warner. mun2 appeals to a young Latino population which means NBC will most likely not want the game switched to another network they own because they’ll sell a load of ad time appealing to the young male Latino 18-24 demographic if the game stays on mun2. It’s about ad dollars, not satisfying the footie fan! That’s the way the cookie crumbles!

111. Christian says:

LOL

gotta love the whining around here.

Geez, some of you are pathetic.

This has nothing to do Mexico or the FMF.

Take it up with NBC you whiny fools.

112. MarkieMark says:

Channel 126 in NYC! NBC won’t move the broadcast. The ratings mun2 will get will be big enough for them to set their advertising for Q4.

113. DCUfanTX says:

Goal = Gol
    Ball = Pelota
    USA/American = Gringo
    Donovan = Donovan
    Bradley = Bradley
    Dempsey, Onyewu, etc., etc.

Posted by: Aaron | July 20, 2009 at 03:32 PM
    _____

Actually Goal: is GOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

and some others:
    Penalty: penalty
    offside: Fuera de lugar
    corner kick: tiro de esquina

and this one needs no translation:
    Dos-a-Cero

114. Scott says:

this makes me very angry

115. Texas 1836 says:

Could they make it any more obvious that they fear losing this match?

Between the mid-day start and hiding the English-language broadcast on timbuk2, I think the FMF and its conspirators are doing everything they can to insure that as few people as possible witness the beatdown that will inevitably take place.

Jotos.

116. Al17 says:

Al17,

Cheers

Posted by: Pico | July 20, 2009 at 04:51 PM

It’s just dumb business. They’d make more money from selling the rights to ESPN. Someone else said it best that it pads their numbers for Q4 to keep MUN afloat. What happens when those numbers are lower than projected? Seeing how much more revenue they can pull in by distributing to another outlet, being just above average in viewers for this match might not be good enough. What happens if the number of viewers is below average? Disaster for that network.

This has nothing to do with bilingual options, it’s just a dumb business move. It might actually cost more for such a production since you need more personnel to support those announcers in the two languages despite using the same video feed. It’s just a thought and note it’s a maybe. You’re not necessarily bringing in different sponsors for both feeds and what happens if you’ve got sponsors like Budweiser which supports the US Nats and Miller Lite which is a El Tri sponsor – I’d love to be at that meeting of Know you won’t….

Not that it matters but I’m multilingual, so the bias I have is the lack of outlets for the biggest WCQ match between these two teams.

This is just dumb business!!! If they allowed people to tap into the MUN feed via one of the Telemundo Digital channels, it would be a great business move. A great way to promote that part of the network and to a hell of alot more people, kinda like what HBO does with their free TV week-ends.

117. Texas 1836 says:

P.S. I was talking today with a Mexico-supporter here at work. He actually said this today: “I would rather miss the World Cup than see the U.S. beat Mexico at Azteca.”

Oddly enough, I think it will actually be a good thing for Mexico when we finally punch their Azteca cherry. I think they’re obsessed about it right now, and after we actually do it, they can just get back on about the business of playing soccer.

We are in their head so bad it’s funny.

118. Jay says:

Someone is to blame for these tv rights being screwed up. I don’t know if it’s USSF for not putting a clause in their deal that would allow for a broader English speaking channel to show the match or if it’s CONCACAF/FIFA that only allows the home team to control the television rights… but this is beyond stupid.

119. Adam G says:

I don’t think that I’ll be able to watch this game, and I’m not going to pay extra money just to watch it on Dish. This really sucks.

If the hardcore fan isn’t going to go out of their way to watch the game, there is no way in hell the casual fan will. This just kills all momentum that the US gained from the confed cup in terms of fan support.

120. ThaDeuce says:

MEXICAN RESTAURANT IN THE MEXICAN LANGUAGE (SPANISH FOR THOSE OUT OF THE LOOP)

121. ThaDeuce says:

Sounds like the Mexicans who run telemundo were getting jealous of all of the success and fame US soccer is getting and decided to put a damper on it. Shame on you jeaous Mexicans, shame on you. Just because our C team is preparing to wipe the floor with your A team, shame shame shame.

122. Aquaman says:

I was raised in schools that taught a second language from an early age…..unfortunately (in this situation at least) that second language is French

123. Jack K. - SBI MAFIA ORIGINAL says:

124. Chrstian says:

Could they make it any more obvious that they fear losing this match?

Jotos.

Posted by: Texas 1836
    —————–

The game starts at 4 PM ET, maybe it’s midday in Cali but not here in the East Coast.

I’ll repeat myself so delusional fanboys like this guy can understand.

MEXICO AND THE FMF HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS.

They sold the rights to the highest bidder, NBC/Telemundo, so take it up with them.

My god. What an idiot.

125. Kevin says:

EVERYBODY SIGN THE PETITION! PLEASE!!!

I don’t have the Latin package from DirecTV (silly me, I only bought every single sports package available and thought that would suffice to cover all my viewing needs!), I turn 21 THE NEXT DAY so I can’t go to a bar (I’m not even kidding about that. I
    m unbelievably pissed), and I refuse to pay for the Latin package for one day! My parents have a 52″ plasma HDTV, and they told me I could come and watch the game on their TV, but instead, I’ll apparently have to watch it on a 5″ computer monitor. And my computer is old and shitty, so the feed will be choppy and slow.

So PLEASE sign that petition, people!!

126. Rastafari says:

USA soccer,.. Not ready for Prime Time

127. Bryan says:

looks like i’ll be watching in spanish. mun2 costs extra money! doesn’t come with Cox digital cable with the sports package. bastards.

128. Aaron says:

Yes – the time issue is a bigger deal than the channel. We’ll all have to figure out different plans with work and what not. But seriously, any Irish pub will play the game as long as they have a TV. Worst case just call ahead that week and I’m sure they’d have it on. I can’t imagine any bar (especially Irish/Scottish/English pub) would refuse that request at 2 or 3 (or even earlier for you Best Coasters) in the afternoon on a Wednesday.

129. Oranje Mike says:

How about fans of US Soccer threaten to boycott NBC if they don’t order their own division to broadcast the game in English on a channel almost everyone gets.

130. teach says:

Well, here is another reason taking French in High School was a lousy idea. Guess I’ll be watching on Telemundo. I wonder if President Obama has mun2 or knows Spanish?

131. BlueWhiteLion says:

watching via internet.

132. tsingletonvt says:

Just an FYI for Boston residents… I have Comcast in Boston and get Mun2 on channel 705. I think I have digital deluxe (on my non HD TV) and the sports package, which is basically all non movie channel cable, and I get it. Who knew?

Hope this helps.

133. ErikN says:

I think his is a bid by Telemundo to popularize Mun2. I can’t imagine executives at Telemundo under NBC would last long putting any Mexican favoritism ahead of profits. Clearly they think this game will bring huge ratings and purchases of Mun2 cable/satellite packages.

If you don’t like it, vote with your wallets. Don’t buy packages with Mun2, watch the game in Spanish (not that unbearable), go to a soccer bar, or find the feed online. If it’s a ratings failure for Mun2, Telemundo’s executives will have a lot to answer for to their NBC overlords.

134. Brian says:

Well I don’t speak Spanish and I don’t get mun2, so I guess it looks like I’ll be watching it illegally on the internet. Thanks a lot NBC!

135. Scott says:

USSF and other US Soccer supporter websites need to publish Soccer Bars that will be showing the game in English….with that said….anyone know of bars in the LA area that have a great American atmosphere for the game?????????

Please help a half Mexican find a US-supporting soccer pub to hear the game in English!!!!!!

136. chg says:

“Why would an American company, NBC, do this to US national team fans? Oh wait, I forgot, they are own by the FMF according to the whiners here. This is capitalism, if you don’t like it leave and to Cuba.”

Or just wait another couple years here…

137. rickr says:

Telemundo has as much class as the Mexican National Team (about zero).

138. Fine, put it on a channel we can all watch it. Otherwise, NBC will not get the ad revenue they should get for that telecast.

139. Scott A says:

I seriously refuse to accept this. I will be e-mailing and calling whoever I possibly can to let them know how many people care about this. Certainly NBC will hear my voice. And I expect the rest of you to make yourself heard as well. This is a bleeping national team match, and a really important one at that, at a time of critical mass in USA’s history

And Christian, most of us are tired of your name-calling. If you don’t have anything nice to say, keep your hands off the keyboard thanks

140. Front Row says:

Another setback for American Soccer. I will not buy any products advertised during the game.

141. Scott A says:

And Pico, saying that this is merely the free markets at work doesn’t suffice. Something just as American as free markets is grassroots protest and getting businesses and government to change their policy by letting them know how the people feel.
    And for the record, I don’t think Mexico or FMF has anything to do with it. I personally have no problem with watching it in Spanish, but it’s so obvious that this game should also be available on a more widely-accessible channel in English. The demand is there.

142. adam says:

Although I get Mun2 and Telemundo at home this is seriously effed up. It seems like a major step backwards. Will NBC come to their senses? If they want to keep this in their “family” then surely there is a better more widely available channel to put the game on. Mun2 is a music video channel for phucs sake.

143. Jimmygreaves says:

Tell you what, Mexican pregame shows beat the hell out of American pregame shows. I just saw the Mexico-Haiti pregame show and they really know how to use female reporters. I don’t mind that these games are in Spanish. I just turn off the sound because the Spanish annoucers tend to get way too excited anyway. Instead of watching what the announcers tell you to watch, I believe you pay more attention to the actual game that way.

144. Steve W says:

The Spanish broadcasts are better anyway. The American English ones are unbelievably terrible. Getting a couple of stock EPL announcers from Sky or Setanta would do wonders…

145. Fußballer says:

I’m going to be in Canada for the week of this game. Does anyone know if any Canadian broadcaster is airing this game? Will I be able to watch it up there!?!

146. Hector says:

Posted by: Aquaman | July 20, 2009 at 02:25 PM

OMG. LMAO! second that!

147. EA says:

@Aaron

“Goal = Gol

Ball = Pelota

USA/American = Gringo

Donovan = Donovan

Bradley = Bradley

Dempsey, Onyewu, etc., etc.”

Heh. That’s one great thing about soccer on TV. Once you see the lineups, you’re set. Doesn’t matter what language it’s in. Gooch will always be in the center of defense. He won’t be playing forward sometimes, and goalkeeper at others. Danny Califf won’t be coming in and out of the game for him.

It’s not like football or basketball, where you HAVE to be informed of the substitutions, or baseball, where there’s so much down time that you need the announcers to fill the time. You can figure it out.

My only concern is not being able to watch it at the pub. They have FSC, but Telemundo is on a separate package here, (along with Gol TV and ESPN Deportes)

148. Jay says:

If only the home team is given the television rights in qualfiers then something needs to be done to change that. Two different teams still play in that game. The USSF should still be able to have control over their product. FMF should get Spanish language rights where they want and the USSF at the least should be able to get the rights to English language broadcasts in the States.

149. Zoti says:

Mexico Goal = Golazo

U.S. Goal = Ay Dios mio

150. jon says:

I have time warner cable in upstate new york… i have the hd digital package. mun2 is channel 917

151. Dave says:

Help! I don’t have either station on my cable.

152. RP in CA says:

@baquita

When did people in ME start using “Hella”? I thought that was a Nor-Cal thing…anyways, I am pissed. This ridiculous, I hate that stupid “GOOOOOOLLLL GOLAZO GOL GOL GOL” crap. Just show it in English!

153. papa bear says:

what the hell? NBC has that stupid ‘Universal Sports Network’ now they can toss it on there instead of the 900th rerun of the Beijing Olympiad.

154. Mr. Kite says:

Screw it ! Even though I don’t understand Spanish, I’m still going to watch it.

The commentators on ESPN and FSC aren’t any good anyway. Both, Harkes and his partner and Sullivan and his partner can actually ruin the game with their weak commentary, misplaced critisism and childish hyperbole.

I admit that I can’t do it any better, but I’m not the one earning a paycheck for it either.

GO USA !!!!!!!!!!!

155. ryan says:

the USSF should never again cut a TV deal with the ass clowns at NBCUniversal. I know the USSF doesn’t own the rights to games in mexico and this isn’t their fault, but the brash attitude from NBCU and their refusal to appease the US audience is a complete slap in the face. NBC and Universal are AMERICAN COMPANIES, and they sold us out to mexico, like so many other american companies.

jerks.

156. David says:

This is just a ploy to have people spend $$ to subscribe to Mun2.

157. George Hiller says:

link to tvweek.com…-president.php

It now appears that the English commentary will also be available as SAP on the Telemundo broadcast.

158. Fußballer says:

I’m going to be in Canada that week. Anyone know if any stations there will be carrying this game?

159. Goalasso says:

i have directtv but don’t get telemundo or mun2. I think that I will purchase for a month the Spanish International package for $20 then cancel. I am trying to find out if there is any type of penalty or minimum time that you have to subscribe to that package.

160. Mike says:

NOT UNHEARD OF? That’s 4 years ago. So soccer is going backwards in this country? That’s US Soccer’s position? UNBELIEVABLE!!

161. RPR says:

Directv announced that they are providing free access to Mun2 tomorrow so any subscriber can watch the game. Good work Directv!

link to directv.com

162. Chris says:

Direct TV will be offering a free preview of MUN 2 on channel 203 today only. The USA-Mexico game will be broadcast in English there.