USA victory vs. Spain wins ESPY for Best Upset

USMNTEspy (Getty Images)

The U.S. men's national team's stunning upset of Spain in the 2009 Confederations Cup semifinal was a game that won't soon be forgotten by American fans. Now, the victory has been awarded for its dramatic impact with an ESPY Award for Best Upset in American sports. The national team won the award at the ESPY Award Ceremony on Wednesday night in Los Angeles.

The ESPY Awards Ceremony was taped on Wednesday night, but will air on Sunday on ESPN.

Several members of the USA Confederations Cup team were on hand to accept the award, including Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Carlos Bocanegra and Jozy Altidore. Yes, that's right, Donovan was in Los Angeles the day before the Galaxy's match against the New York Red Bulls.

If you were one of the folks who made sure to vote for the USA upset of Spain, take a bow. Mission accomplished.

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

77 Responses to USA victory vs. Spain wins ESPY for Best Upset

1. Andrew says:

When do the espy’s air?

2. Ed says:

When is it being shown on TV?

3. Chicago Mike says:

Did you know there was two superliga finals tonight?

4. AJ says:

Airing on Sunday night. Being taped as we speak.

5. 2ndPike says:

People are more upset about Montero and Sounders fans stuffing ballot boxes though…

6. John says:

Who was there to accept the award?

7. adam in berkeley says:

Mandon, Jozy, Carlos, Clint, Bornstein, Sacha, Spector, and Rico

8. froboy says:

sweet, thats exciting

9. kpugs says:

Awesome.

10. Jack K. - SBI MAFIA ORIGINAL says:

The Superliga semis games were pretty good. It a step up from watch the Gold Cup’s low level soccer.

11. Supsam says:

youve made us proud boys!

12. JR says:

Glad to see more positive exposure for the USMNT on the national stage. Looks like I’ll be firing up the Tivo for this one.

13. JGIB says:

Odd to see laddycakes the night before a match. Unprofessional?

14. jjraines says:

In some ways it’s great, but at the same time, when we talk of “great upset” and “miracle on grass” I think it deprecates the true quality of the team. This wasn’t some one-off fluke–the USMNT is legit. It’s about time everyone realizes that and stop pretending these are a bunch of outmached college amateurs trying to hang with pros.

15. Supsam says:

@ jjraines

you cannot deny that this was indeed a great upset. But that does not mean the USMNT is awful. God no, far from it! But it is great upset for those who dont follow the USMNT as much as we do. The ESPN TV ratings for the confederation cup final is proof more americans took more interest and its no surprise that US national team jerseys are not on sale anymore (coincidence? i think not). Maybe a great upset is not what you have in mind…maybe more of a great eyeopener for the rest of the world

16. Victor says:

was it Dempsey or did you mean Klejstan?

17. Jdavids says:

YEA!!!! GOOD EXPOSURE!!!!! AMERICANS LOVE A WINNER!

18. nels says:

w00t, i voted.

also, how did they know to be there, are they informed ahead of time that they won?

i highly doubt lando would have been there the day before a game if there was only a chance they would win. part of me wants to think they already knew, right?

19. ryan says:

jozy looks older than any of them.

20. Brian says:

Ugghhhh Sacha and Bornstein..

21. Leonardo says:

YAAA! u make us proud!!!

sure wish Gooch coulda been there. and Timmy. and where is Demps??? club duties i guess…

yaaa! stoked. gotta record this!

22. Isaac says:

Ugghhhh Sacha and Bornstein..

Posted by: Brian | July 16, 2009 at 04:17 AM

They’re not playing great(at least Sacha isn’t) but you have to admit they clean up nice.

23. csd says:

Landon should have been in NYC like Beckham. Landon just doesn’t care about the Galaxy or the MLS. He is all about the fame.

24. Nicole says:

How cool is that!

Way to go, guys.

25. Nicole says:

Donovan was also a presenter at the Gatorade High School Athlete of the Year awards.

Not his fault this game – which was originally scheduled for Saturday – was switched to Thursday night just so the Galaxy could play AC Milan on the weekend – which was part of the deal for Beckham to stay at AC Milan until the end of the season.

26. DC Josh says:

I went to vote for them, until I realized I had to sign up as an ESPN insider, which costs money. So I didn’t vote.

But I’m very glad they won this award. It is deserving, they played amazing soccer those last three games, and in spurts throughout the first. They showed they can put a dent into the major teams in the world, and deserve respect.

Question, when they crush Mexico at Estadio Azteca, is that considered an upset?

27. JFC says:

only jared owen (from cheap seats double dutch episode) could say it best…YESSS!

28. RLW2020 says:

@DC

you didn’t have to be an insider to vote. i did it..

good question about a win @ azteca. we are rated higher, currently a better team, much more recient success but i feel like that would still be an upset. crazy tho

29. yankiboy says:

@JGIB & csd

Ugh guys–Look again. That is NOT Landon in the photo; That is his twin brother, Brandon accepting the award on his behalf.

I realize that they look alike (“hello”! don’t identical twins usually look alike?!?)

Some of you need to get your “facts” straight before you start in with the diggs-or your gratuitous sarcasm–just a suggestion…

30. Aquaman says:

Is that Sacha back there gleefully saying to himself “I didn’t really do anything, but, due to my living in close proximity to this awards show, I get be here to accept this award” ?

31. Mike M says:

Eh, its nice and all, but I personally think the ESPYs are are pretty dumb concept.

32. CapeCodFutbol says:

ESPY’s suck but the recognition is great and well-deserved!

33. BFBS says:

Head over to fellow DP The Original Winger for a totally gangsta pick of Jozy and Deuce at The ESPY’s.

34. NATO says:

That is great. Shame the whole squad couldn’t be there. Did Donovan do all the talking? Carlos is the captain and Dempsey was the star during the tournament. They should have accepted.

AMERICA needs to learn about our NT

35. argh says:

How tall is Bocanegra? I read 5’11 and another 6’1. I mean he looks almost tiny compared to Gooch whose 6’4 and Dempsey appears a bit taller so i’d imagine Boca is near 6’0. do you guys know?

and how tall is Michael Bradley? He’s written as 6’1 but appears the same height as Tim Howard who is 6’3?

36. John in FL says:

Did you know there was two superliga finals tonight?

Posted by: Chicago Mike | July 16, 2009 at 12:32 AM

how in the hell can you have 2 finals in the same competition??

Maybe 2 semi finals?

37. argh says:

OT. but what are our striking options and possibilities for the World Cup?

I know Altidore is for sure but needs to work on his final touch. Charlie Davies has won a place on the roster and could be in the starting XI. I suppose Brian Ching is still in the team despite barely being able to score goals against CONCACAF competition.

Who will be our 4th striker? EJ? Kenny Cooper? Freddy Adu? Conor Casey? Or will we have a 5th striker?

38. GoYanks says:

Congrats guys!

On a sad note regarding exposure, have you guys heard they’re only airing the US-Mexico match on Telemundo and mun2?

link to matchfitusa.com

39. PETERGRIFFINvsHOMERSIMPSON says:

We need better strike options than that.

Spain has Fernando Torres and David Villa. And they have on the bench Daniel Guiza and Fernando Llorente, 2 guys who know how to score even coming off the bench. For sure Spain is set to make it to the semi-finals at the very least of the World Cup in 2010.

40. yankiboy says:

@Go Yanks-It will only be sad if we finally win in Azteca.

Now I finally have a reason to watch the dreadful mun2…

41. Mark says:

I couldn’t remember my password, so I didn’t vote but I made a half-ass effort. I agree that Landon had previous commitments that were probably made prior to the Milan game screwing up the schedule.

Great recognition for the team, and this sort of stuff can only help.

To win at Azteca would be a huge upset. Their record there speaks for itself, so for Mexico to lose would be a big upset even with the team in the shape it’s in.

42. PETERGRIFFINvsHOMERSIMPSON says:

Gooch at AC Milan, Davies at a midtable French club, Jozy on loan at the best club in Greece. what a transfer summer it has been.

Ohh and why is Conor Casey even on the roster. Why didnt Kenny Cooper make it to the Confed Cup? He can do more with 8mins than Casey can do in 1 half.

43. KCB says:

Though I personally don’t put much emphasis on the ESPY Awards, the American sports public does which is what makes this such a BIG deal. When soccer has to compete against college football & baseball, sports at the heart of American culture, and BEATS them for an award, that’s just Awesome. Congrats to the boys, they deserve this award and any additional publicity it creates.

44. RK says:

Posted by: KCB

Nah, I’m pretty sure no one cares. But it is nice that they weren’t overshadowed.

45. IRENEISNOTMYGOD says:

How can we increase PR for the NT as they cruise to the World Cup? Should Altidore and Davies be on the cover of Seventeen? Should Boca start dating Jessica Simpson? I mean do we need 1 of our players to be outed by Perez Hilton so we get more of a spotlight?

46. Timmy U says:

Its only unprofessional if he plays badly…

Or looks ragged and dogs the whole game. Which I doubt very highly that he would do after he called out the biggest sports personality in the world for not committing to his team.

Watch him score a brace just to stick it to every ‘soccer analyst’ who came out of the woodwork to comment on the circus. Beckham was right though, this happens constantly in Europe. But its usually people questioning other players skills or fitness, not commitment.

47. IRENEISNOTMYGOD says:

Who will be the MLS top scorer this season? I’d say it’s between Montero and Casey and Cooper? I’m gonna say MOntero gets 17 by the end of the season. And Casey has 19 and Cooper with 19 unless he transfers.

48. Carl says:

Here is another good picture of everyone on stage, including Dempsey…

link to theoriginalwinger.com

49. Brett says:

The only people who care about the ESPYs are ESPN and their advertising partners. And the athletes that are nominated too I suppose.

50. Luke in NC says:

Boo Klejstan getting to be up there….

51. cjbrown says:

Brett, sure the ESPY is not the Balon d’ Or. But the ESPYs will get the guys more tail than winning 3 consecutive Honda Player of the Year awards. Let them enjoy it.

52. Angel says:

please best team of the year Lakers ohh my gosh I love the lakers but Barcelona is the Best team of the year ever with three title in span of 2month, That is the best team.

53. Justin O says:

PETERGRIFFINvsHOMERSIMPSON – Based on their club performaces over the last year, why would you consider Cooper an upgrade over Casey? Cooper’s younger and has a brighter future, probably, but for the past year he has not played as well as Casey.

54. caca says:

Mandon is so short.

55. Aljarov says:

JGIB – yeah, Landon – what a hypocrite.

56. Squard says:

Jozy looks large enough to eat Lando

57. John says:

Earth to Landycakes… WHERE A TIE!!!

58. Tom From Syracuse says:

I just look at the pool of midfielders that the US has and I wonder, have we ever had this many quality midfielders at the US’s disposal? I think it’s the deepest ever.

Donovan
    Dempsey
    Bradley
    Edu
    Kljestan
    Feilhaber
    Torres
    Mastroeni

and so on… I think any of the players above have a chance at a starting spot… and with the addition of the German dude we’re getting in Sept… I think we’re in great shape in the midfield and it’s a good headache for Bradley to deal with when it comes to deciding who starts from this group.

59. Sam says:

I think I might have not voted had I known that Kljestan would be up there. Too bad Jozy didn’t throw any elbows

60. Eric Griesheimer says:

I voted

61. Jacob A. says:

Earth to John: Spell things right!!

62. Danny says:

It’s time to go back and flood ESPN again. We need to let them know they MUST televise the upcoming US/Mexico match. Send in those e-mails to make sure they pony up for the game. I don’t want to watch it with Spanish announcers talking about how great Mexico is.

On top of that I want the match in HD.

63. milkshake of despair says:

Funny we get the best upset award, yet there is no individual sport award. BOWLING even has one!!!!

64. milkshake of despair says:

Oooops. Nevermind. Just saw Mandon got it.

65. Al says:

I know the ESPY was held in LA, but why is Magic Johnson is on the stage? :-P

I hope they didn’t let Sacha speak.

66. yankiboy says:

On top of that I want the match in HD.

Posted by: Danny

——————————————–

Sorry Bro but ESPN airing the match? No matter how many emails people send in. USA has a better chance at showing the match (because it is part of the NBC owned parent company of Telmundo and mun2). But even that, ain’t gonna happen.

Telemundo wants those ratings for mun2 (I don’t blame them that network needs help).

It is out of ESPN/Disney control.

Mun2 showing the game in English is the best that non-SPanish speakers can hope for. If you don’t like the commentary you can always mute the sound or just ignore the commentators.

67. GO USA says:

Why does Jozy look like Seal in that picture?

68. Jon says:

Earth to Landycakes… WHERE A TIE!!!

Posted by: John | July 16, 2009 at 10:48 AM

I dunno where John. In his closet maybe?

69. Derek says:

Congrats guys!!

Wish I knew where you guys were celebrating in my town.

70. Bearusky says:

WTF Y was sasha there? It’s not like he contributed!

71. Tomas says:

Danny-
    Everytime I hear USMT fans saying how “spanish” announcers, are biased towards Mexico it just makes you seem desperate to hate! First of all it probably would shock you to know that the two main announcers for Univision, Telefutura etc. are indeed Mexican! Jesus Bracamontes has coached first division Mexican teams, and was an assistant to coach Ricardo Lavolve during the WC 2006! Why shock you? Because I have NEVER heard them be more pro-Mexico than for any of their rivals, and have always heard them say very classy things about the USMT in general When they narrated the Spain vs. USA they where actually clearly going for the US more than I have ever heard them go for Mexico!
    Every Mexican, even the most hardcore fans, HATE IT when the team plays bad, and no one is going to be saying how well Mexico plays if they suck!
    Also, and I know this is a matter of taste, how are you going to compare the Latin American narration to any soccer match, with the narcolepsy inducing North American narration….not even close!

72. Bearusky says:

thomas it is the truth se la maman a mexico ese la torre de jalisco. tdanny is right, the suckem dry. plus like i’ve said in the past…we have had to endure crap from you guys about not being able to beat mex.. now it is time for you guys to grow thick skin and like it!

73. zongzap says:

Is that Shaq in the back row?

74. yankiboy says:

@Tomas: very good stuff.

But just like the “spanish” announcers aren’t “spanish”, aren’t the two very talented announcers that you discussed also “North American” as well as Latin American. When I listen to that combo, they have never induced me to “narcolepsy” but you are 100% right–it is all a matter of taste. I think that they are one of the best Northamerican broadcast teams in the sport.

Just my opinion…

75. Tomas says:

Spot on yankiboy!

Sorry, had a “lapsus mentalis” about the North America thing!

76. yankiboy says:

@Tomas-No worries-I have those episodes on an hourly basis.

My wife/boss: “Yanki-what were you thinking!?!?”

My response: shrug combined with a even goofier look than normal…

lol