Would Fulham be a good fit for Altidore?

Jozy Altidore 7 (ISIphotos.com)

Photo by ISIphotos.com

Fulham has had its share of Americans pass through the ranks in recent years, with many enjoying very successful stints. Brian McBride, Eddie Lewis, Carlos Bocanegra, Eddie Johnson and Clint Dempsey have all worn Fulham shirts in the past decade and the Cottagers already have their eye on the next Yank to make the move to London.

According to a rather brief Daily Mail report, Roy Hodgson is considering bringing in Jozy Altidore on a loan from Villarreal. A loan of some sort seems inevitable for Altidore, who doesn't figure into Villarreal's first team plans for the upcoming season.

So is Fulham, and the English Premier League, a good fit for the 19-year-old striker?

I think it absolutely is. With Fulham set to compete in the Europa League, there will be plenty of minutes to go around and Altidore could thrive in Fulham's attack. He would also have a fellow American as a teammate in Clint Dempsey, who could help him get acclimated to life in the EPL.

Of course nothing is certain yet. Fulham has also been linked with Reading's Kevin Doyle and Barcelona's Eidur GudJohnsen as potential forward acquisitions.

What do you think? Like the idea of Altidore to Fulham? Would you prefer he stay in Spain? Are you in the "I don't care where he plays as long as he's getting regular minutes" camp?

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad, European Soccer, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

86 Responses to Would Fulham be a good fit for Altidore?

1. I think this would be great for Altidore. He is a good target player that would greatly benefit from a spell in the Premier league and it would earn him some valuable time with a USMNT teammate. Of course, he is welcome to come back to the Red Bulls if he wants.

2. EDB says:

I think it would be a good fit. Zamora disappointed last year, and having a yank will help. Much like I think Rossi helped Altidore initially

3. Sandro says:

I think I would prefer that he plays in Spain but to me as long as he is getting minutes and experience that is more importan. Fulham would be much better than Xerez. But he has to play that is the bottom line.

4. irishapple21 says:

This would be a terrific move for Altidore. He’d be playing in a top league against strong competition with an American-friendly organization in Fulham. He’d have the chance to play in the Europa League and make a meaningful contribution while he continues his development as a player. I hope this works out for him.

5. BossTweed says:

Count me in the “I don’t care, as long as he gets minutes” camp. Fulham seems to have other options at forward, however, especially if they get either Doyle or Gudjohnsen. It would certainly make Fulham a team to watch, and probably a popular one in the US too.

6. Murphy says:

Hodgson gets the best out of Clint so he probably will help Altidore a lot. And I’m with those that say as long as he’s on the field, I don’t care where in Europe’s big leagues he is… England, Spain, Italy, wherever…

7. jpc says:

it would be fantastic, not b/c he would be in the EPL (b/c I don’t think the EPL is a good place for young players generally), but rather b/c he would be playing under Roy Hodgeson, who is an incredible coach who knows how to put players in positions to be successful based on their strengths, rather than just throwing guys out there and demanding they adapt to his tactics (ala Bob Bradley)… Just look at how well Dempsey plays at Fulham compared to for the US (despite what the retarded FIFA ratings say)

8. Mike says:

I’m in the “I don’t care where he plays as long as he gets minutes” camp. Obviously, I’d prefer that not to be in the Russian 4th division side, but the boy needs to start playing. As he’s shown in the Confederations Cup, he’s lacking some form, fitness, and precision (for anyone who is talking about the Egypt handball discounting his goal, watch the highlights again – Jozy is all alone from 12 yards out, with the entire goal in front of him, and he blasts it directly at the keeper. He should have placed it better and removed all doubts).

Xerex was a poor move for him, in hindsight, as he didn’t dress for 1 game and received worse training than he would have at Villareal (anyone else hoping Xerex immediately gets relegated?).

9. milkshake of despair says:

How does Altidore’s situation change at Villareal if Rossi leaves? Would he get playing time then? I don’t know enough of Villareal to guess.

10. Chase says:

Isn’t Doyle going to sign with Wolves as their record signing?

I think its a good fit, Jozy’s size and style of play is far more conducive to the PL and Fulham is American friendly. However, the primary determining factor should be playing time (as everyone else here has pretty much already said).

11. Jack K. - SBI Mafia Original says:

He should stay in Spain, we need a striker with good technique. Jozy needs to develop his technique and Spain is the best place to do it.

12. BFBS says:

I really can’t imagine any situation that would be better for Altidore. 1) Hodgson makes his team play the right way, (2) they’re relatively thin but in the Europa league. He would have a chance to compete for a starting forward spot – other than AJ, no forward on Fulham is clearly better than Jozy even at this stage, and he might surpass AJ when all is said and done, 3) Clint, 4) nicest, smartest, most American-friendly fans in the world, 5) London. In other words, Ives’s analysis covers everything. I really hope this happens.

13. fubar says:

Here’s the deal, Hodgson made Deuce sit for quite a while before he came in as a regular. He had to earn it.

Jozy has always had this air about him as not being that big on training (eserved or otherwise)and that would NOT endear him to Hodgson. You don’t perform in training, you don’t see the field on game day.

And as an aside – I do not agree with the term “potent attack” that Ives uses above.

So, all in all, I do not see this as that great a move for JA unless he is prepared languish on the bench for a month or two even if he does work his tail off in training.

And then he is going to have to prove that he belongs day after day to stay in the starting 11.

Do you think he’s up for that? If not, check please!!!

14. Jose A. V. says:

great fit, he should play in EPL and not in la liga

15. Teddie Boy Eddie says:

Interesting to see the difference in response to this possibility versus last year when it was rumored Everton wanted him on loan. Most people seemed to think it was a bad idea last year.

Also, Ives, why do you say he doesn’t figure in Villareal’s first team for the coming year? I haven’t seen that stated by the club or reported elsewhere (not that it would surprise me).

16. John V. says:

This will finally answer the question of how the US nats would do as a team in the EPL.

17. Evan says:

Re fubar, Josy will have to earn playing time at any half-way decent European club. No young American can go to an established top division club and expect to start without earning it.

I think it is a good move – if he plays and has an environment that will enable him to develop further as a player. I think the Spanish league is better for his style, but Fulham would be miles better than his current situation.

18. dave r says:

Leave Spain. He was set-up to fail. Anti-American Xerex ruined his professional progress.

19. Derek says:

Roy is a great coach. He might be able to really help Jozy.

Considering that I follow Fulham because of Clint, I’m all for it.

The question is, would he see minutes?

20. ThaDeuce says:

I love the idea, as long as he plays LOL.
    AT Fulham though, he will have a chance. He just has to earn it. All he has to do is beat out Kamara, Nevland, Dempsey, Zamora, and Andy Johnson for one of the top two spots or the super sub role…piece of cake! I do love the idea. and if he is good enough, he will play. But being into roy hodgeson’s program, that is a wonderful thing. roy usually brings in transfers he plans on using, and injuries do happen…

21. gmen04 says:

well andy johnson he is the best flopper in the premiership, jozy could pick up some tips, allowing landy cakes to pad his goals stats some more

22. SR says:

If he leaves a good impression today against la roja, chances are more Spanish teams will come knocking on the loan door. IF he doesn’t, he’ll still go out on loan, but probably to another league, maybe England, maybe France, who knows…

Just tear it up today, Jozy and you won’t have to worry who wants to take you!

23. fubar says:

Evan – Its a good point, BUT what are all of the posters here going to start saying when he doesn’t even make the bench in month #1 or 2 or even 3?

Will everyone immediately say it was a bad move and that he should never have gone to Fulham?

People need to temper their expectations with realism.

It would be great that he starts from the get go, BUT to be realistic that is NOT going to happen at Fulham, even if he was the second coming of Pele. Hodgson WILL make him sit. No doubt about it.

All I am advocating is that he go somewhere with a realistic chance at getting SIGNIFICANT paying time. And if Fulham signs either Doyle or Gudjohnson then that is NOT going to happen.

24. J says:

I’d be more inclined to agree if it wasn’t a World Cup year. I don’t disagree with the reasons why Fulham could be a good fit. I’m just worried that if Jozy can’t cut it, our national team’s starting forward will be glued to a bench in the months leading up to the World Cup. It could be safer to play in a worse league, if it means he has a significantly better chance of getting regular playing time.

25. Tolik says:

Anywhere he can get a chance to get minutes is a good fit.

Fulham may be one of the best choices. And nothing is guaranteed anywhere anyway, unless its a low level that can’t afford him.

26. Al17 says:

It must be one slow ass news day. This ain’t happening. Why on earth would a Spanish club send a forward to England for development? Not to mention Fulham of all clubs in England? This ain’t happening nor should it.

27. Danny says:

I say stay in Spain. Go to a 2nd division team and play 90 each week. He’s a sub at best at Fulham. This could have “Adu to Monaco part 2″ written all over it. Stay in Spain Jozy. Go play for a 2nd division team. Either that or one of the lower 1st division teams.

28. David says:

I’d like to think as a Fulham fan he could put up a better strike tally than Zamora did this past term. They are similar sized players and it would be his finishing touch that would have to be better to get him in the starting XI. Certainly Hodgson could do alot for his game regardless.

That said if Rossi leaves Villareal I would think he could see more time there and a loan would not be neccesary.

29. George says:

Ives,

“Altidore could thrive in Fulham’s potent attack.” Fulham is far from potent, last season Fulham notched 39 goals during their domestic campaign good enough for 13th overall. While that isn’t as bad as 20th, it really isn’t anything to brag about or label as “potent.”

Honestly I didn’t watch every Fulham game, but I remember the team as being draw specialists, which would be fitting for a team that essentially broke even most of the year with a 14-11-13 record, a +5 point differential, and 53/114 points.

I would love to see Donovan at Fulham I think he would bring a lot playing as a withdrawn striker ahead of Murphy and Etuhu both playing in the whole.

30. SR says:

Good point J, a striker’s form is everything leading up to the WC. He could be lacking confidence, fitness, and technique if he’s in a bad situation like this last season. Hopefully he and Adu catch a break and show what they can do at a decent club. Those are the things that could make all the difference for our nation in South Africa.

31. SanDiegoSMP says:

“and Altidore could thrive in Fulham’s potent attack.”

Ives, you apparently watched a different Fulham than I did, their attack was hardly “potent” — they only averaged about a goal per game (tied for 13th in GS) and were successful due to their stellar D (4th in GA). I also laugh whenever people say that they wish Dempsey would score like he does at Fulham — he scored 8 goals in 40 total appearances last year — that’s hardly tearing it up, and he scores at roughly the same rate for the US.

That being said, anyplace Jozy can get minutes is a win in my book.

32. George says:

*hole

33. Ives says:

Guys, maybe potent was too strong, but their attack was definitely better in the second half of the season than the first. AT least that’s the impression I had. I’m sure there are a few Fulham fans out there who can vouch for, or refute, that belief.

34. Steve Murphy says:

He might not qualify for an English work visa. You have to have played in a certain percentage of your Nats games—I’m not sure he has this.

35. Colin Ferguson says:

I think that if it’s true that he won’t get minutes with villareal, then this is a good move. Even if he has to work his way through the reserves in England, the epl has the best reserve league in the world. You can argue all you want about whether La Liga or Serie A are better leagues, but the reserve league in England absolutely blows away the competition. Training and playing with the first team is important, but even if that takes a couple months to happen, his time won’t be wasted like it was at xerez.

36. Yossarian says:

I thought Rossi was going to Juventus. Wouldn’t that open up a spot?

37. SanDiegoSMP says:

great minds think alike, George (and apparently at the same time)

38. Ives says:

20 goals in their last 17 matches. Okay, so not potent. I guess the four times they scored three goals in the final 17 matches skewed my impression of their offense.

39. Leonardo says:

I’m for Jozy playing anywhere there’s an *awesome coach*

it seems to me whether you get playing time is the next important thing to having excellent training. sure, he won’t start right away, but if he can be developed by a great coaching staff then he will inevitably start. I’m not so much worried about playing time as good coaching. like, hiddink or mourinho ideally, but you know, if Roy is good, then that works.

40. Adam M. says:

Of course Fulham is a good move and of course its only a good move if he plays. Real Madrid would be a good move if he plays too (please don’t assume I think he is a RM target). The point is that if a manager in first tier team in a top four league is willing to commit to playing him if he proves himself on the field, then it is certainly better than the prospect of eating the pine for just about anyone. if Villareal would play him, that would be great also. I don’t agree that Jozy should be playing just anywhere though. He is too good to playing for some second division side when undoubtedly some first division side in some good league could use the services of a big, strong, young international striker. If that’s Fulham and it gives Jozy more of an opportunity to build an understanding with CD in the coming year, wonderful.

41. sonicdeathmonkey says:

As a Fulham fan, I must admit I got a kick out of the line “Fulham’s potent attack”. That being said, Roy has shown that if you work hard enough and deserve it, you will play. I’m not sure that was the case in Spain.

42. Jeff says:

Doyle wasn’t as good in Reading’s 2nd prem year as he was in the first, and arguably underachieved in the championship last year. So even if Fulham pick up Doyle, Jozy could certainly earn minutes.

43. George says:

@SanDiegoSMP

I agree, it was kind of creepy when I read your post, nothing like telepathy over IP!

Wow, I may need to stop watching soccer and find better jokes. Nahh !!

44. fubar says:

San Diego – See my post at 12:47

45. Korey Sutton says:

I am not sure he is ready for the EPL yet. I don’t want him to lose his confidence.

46. Marty says:

For me, as long as he is getting minutes…in Spain. Even though the Xerez loan was a bomb, the whole purpose was two-fold: minutes and acclimatization to Spanish culture. If he really wants to succeed at Villareal, he shold adapt to life in Spain and his chance will come. To me, going to Fulham is putting up the white flag.

47. patrick says:

they’re reporting that Rossi is open to a move away from villa. IF that happens, I feel like Jozy would stick around in one form or another. If he stays, Fulham would be a good fit particularly if they sell kamara. There would be open spots for minutes in that case

48. Sean says:

Playing under Roy would be great. The man is a top notch manager. Even if he doesn’t play, he would learn more than he did at xerex

49. Areign says:

please do it. fulham have always been good to their American players. he needs time and i think he can get it there. god i hope he goes. be good to him Fulham and, like Dempsey and Mcbride before him, Jozy will be good to you.

50. patrick says:

@stevemurphy,

It’s a percentage over a certain time frame. Given that he’s played in the last 5, 6 possibly even more nats game I’m sure he has the credentials. Not only that but I believe (probably wrong) that it’s somewhat easier to go from europe-england than US-england

51. thedoc says:

on the topic of getting a english work visa. i think he can, im not positive though. I know your country has to be in the top 70 teams, and you have had to play in 75% of the games in the past 2 yrs. Altidore has played alot but i think it mite be really close to 75%. either way fullham could just appeal saying he would improve the english game and he would most likely be granted the visa.
    I think he needs to go somewhere where he would play. and i would love it if craven cottage was that place.

52. Austin says:

STAY IN SPAIN

53. Fulhamerica says:

Fulham should just pull the trigger and sign the top 15 U.S. players.

Altidore at Fulham isn’t a bad notion. Like any EPL side, there will be stiff competition for starting spots. As long as he would be given a fair shake, I’m all for it. I think he could work his way into Hodgeson’s good graces like Dempsey did.

54. Chris says:

Just to weigh in, I think it’s a decent fit for USMNT purposes. The EPL is much more akin to International Level ball in terms of the intensity of the midfield and the speed of play. The Spanish league is great, but the defenders do tend to give you a little more time on the ball, which is great to watch but less of a learning tool for high pressure international defenses. Good luck Jozy

55. brandon says:

Can we stop referring to Landon Donovan as a second forward, his current skill set does not favor this position. He is not a second forward for the national team at the moment, and I do not see him being a second forward in europe. On the wing, Donovan is an absolute threat due to his speed, stamina, technical skills, and offensive threat. He could play as a wide mf for a top team that regularly incorporates a 4-4-2 / 4-5-1 formation but doesn’t expect Beckham like crosses from the wing.

56. BlueWhiteLion says:

yes, Ives, what is the content behind your assertion he doesn’t look to play into Villareal’s future? Just curious. I just haven’t heard that.

I echo the posts who laud Hodgson and the “American Friendly” atmosphere (not that Jozy needs that personally, but playing wise, it bodes well).

He needs to work hard, be challenged, and given a fair shake. All three need to be present, whereever he goes. He MAY have had two of the three at V, one at X. Here’s hoping he will put all three together SOME place.

57. Dave L says:

If Zamora had any finishing skill at all Fulham’s attack would have been potent. Fulham’s build up was great the finishing up front was their downfall. With Roy if you’re good enough you will play.

58. Chad says:

Stay in La Liga!

59. primoone says:

You know…at this point. I dont care if he is playing in my adult sunday league. The kid needs to play period.

60. beckster says:

Doyle is considered the best Championship striker and several clubs are after him. I think Fulham would be too deep at Striker if they get Doyle (which is a stretch). I think it will be hard for Jozy to get playing time at Fulham, other than the FA Cup matches. Would rather see him go to one of the top 5 or 6 sides in the Coca Cola Championship where he is sure to get playing time and quality delivery.

61. cam says:

any of the europa league epl teams would be ideal. tottenham too, especially if they dump bent or pavs… or both.

i like everton or villa the most, everton because they need strikers and he’d get a ton of pt, and villa because i think he’d pair well with agbonlahor and martin o’neill is a great teacher. he could also be great for spurs, but i dont know if redknapp has the patience for him.

hell, maybe arsenal if they sell adebayor as expected.

62. Pico says:

Actually there is the possibility that he stays at Villarreal and plays for their B team that just got promoted. There are talks about the club bringing back a few of its players on loan for that purpose.

After watching the first three games of the Conf cup, it is safe to say that Jozy is not ready for the first team in La Liga and he still needs a lot of work.

If he were start for Fulham at this point, it would be an indication of the technical difference between both leagues. Just for that reason alone, he should stay in Spain. Like some have posted, second division team or lower team in the first division might be his best options.

Cheers

63. thedoc says:

I would just like him to see some playing time. Would be great if it was any side in the EPL.

64. Felix says:

I want him to play. I don’t care anymore. The year before the World Cup he just needs first team minutes whether its Villarreal, Xerez, or Fulham.

65. Dominghosa says:

Sigh, should have went to Everton. And would prefer that he still would.
    But stay in Spain (if he gets minutes there) even if loaned to a lower end team in the first division. Prefer that over Fulham

66. Fulham Pete says:

Well, since I wear my team on my sleeve, so to speak…and since you’re all entitled to my opinion….
    I LOVE Jozy at Fulham. The attack, no not 60 goals/season potent, certainly became MORE potent when Demps was given a full-time position. That being said, Kamara, Gera, and Zamora were jokes as strikers. The most effective attacks came through Murphy, Davies, and Demps serving Johnson. Putting a world-class *athlete* like Jozy under the tutelage of Roy up front during a Europa League season (assuming they win the playoff) would be great for Fulham…and Jozy.

So, to make a long story short,…

GOOD FIT!

67. Angel says:

Well I don’t know if is good Idea if Altidore goes to Fulham and maybe not even start but who knows but in the other hand he will pair with Dempsey and they can have a good understanding that will help them in the future of the USA team. But in Villareal who knows with the new Coach coming in if can give a chance to Altidore to play. But there are rumors that Rossi and Guille France are leaving so that will give a chance to Altidore to start in this Team. Well what ever happen I hope is for the Best Good Luck Altidore

68. Aquaman says:

Personally, I’d like to see him stay in the Spanish league or get a loan deal the the Italian league. Sure he’ll face top competition in England and get a chance to work on his physical game, but I think that Italy or Spain would be a perfect place for his dribbling/speed/finesse type game.

69. Yinka Double Dare says:

Add me to the list of people that don’t care whether it’s Fulham or somewhere else, as long as he’s regularly in the starting 11. Dude needs playing time, plain and simple.

70. RK says:

Posted by: Yinka Double Dare

Me too, although for selfish reasons I want more players in La Liga. He has lost Pelligrini, though…

71. JeffM says:

As a Fulham fan and a Jozy fan, I demand that this happen! Jozy pairs well with either Johnson or Kamara – both AJ and Kamara are speedy, not-too-big types and need someone who can score with their head, as Jozy can. All he has to do is supplant Bobby Zamora, and I like his chances of doing that!

72. Soccer_Intelligentsia says:

Everybody forgot about Grown Ass Man? I thought his loan was over and he was coming back to compete for spots? Stay in La Liga, its much better for your game at this point in your career.

73. mwc says:

I do not think it would be a good move. Hodgson seems to get players to improve, but Jozy is not at a point where he can get significant minutes on Fulham, in my opinion. His first touch is not at EPL levels. I want him to go somewhere where he can start and play every game so he can make mistakes, learn and grow without worrying about being benched.

74. madmax says:

Jozy would be number one striker at Fulham or Everton. That’s why Villarreal refusal to Everton loan hurt his progress immensely.

75. mexicanbluefish says:

MINUTES, that’s where he should go.

76. Patrick in Houston says:

I’m a big Yank fan of Fulham, to the point of attending a match at Craven Cottage (and picking up a prized Clint Dempsey jersey at the team store).

My impression of Fulham at the moment is that they’re a Champions League team if they could only pick up a dangerous forward.

The fans I talked to at the stadium told me that everyone was impressed by Eddie Johnson’s athleticism, but they didn’t think he had the foot control to make it in the EPL.

Altidore is a much better player and would be a lot cheaper than the dismal Zamora. Go for it Roy!

77. Jozy needs first team minutes, and he needs to be in an environment where he can be successful and continue to grow as a player. It’d be very interesting to see what he could do at Fulham.

I like the idea of a forward of Jozy’s style playing for Fulham, unnerving the center backs a bit. It could be that little bit of extra pressure that allows Fulham to come forward a bit more.

But I defer to Roy, he’s a brilliant coach.

78. madmax says:

Jozy, Gooch, and Landon could play on any EPL squad 5-20.

79. Gary says:

I want him to stay in spain and get skills. He already has the size. Imagine a big smooth striker for 2014.

80. mike says:

I just want Jozy to play and harness his potential, he is the definition on the american player who, “just needs to play,” I don’t care if it’s in Spain or England, he’s big time

81. madmax says:

There’s been some misinformation put out about Fulham strikers. I won’t name the person, but they said Jozy would have to sit for Zamora (2 goals). I believe Dempsey and Jonhson led the squad with 7. To say Jozy would have to sit for 2 goal Zamora is a good example of the nonsense sometimes posted here to inflate the EPL.

82. Jason says:

Ives, you forgot Kasey Keller in listing Fulham’s Yanks.

Any move for Jozy where he’d get significant playing time would be great. Fulham are in Europe next year, so he’ll have to work hard to earn a place. That’s what he’ll have to learn.

83. Omar says:

Posted by: madmax | June 24, 2009 at 03:23 PM

Really? Over Saha and Yakubu when he comes back? Up until this year where he was sidelined by injuries the only man to score more goals than him in England was Thierry Henry.

84. inkedAG says:

I’m in the “I don’t care as long as he gets minutes” camp. Though to a point. I’d rather he not go to Turkey or some other far off land.

85. madmax says:

Posted by: David

Yes, Zamora’s strike tally was 2. A linesman could score more.

86. madmax says:

Posted by: Omar

Everton last year had less striker power than Fulham, yes hard to believe. They played more than half the year without any strikers. Midfielders led scoring with 8, Saha and Yakubu had 6 and 4. Yes Jozy would have been one of the starting strikers because Everton had none for most of the year.

Just more EPL nonsense.