USA Confederations Cup roster revealed

USA Crest

The U.S. men's national team's Confederations Cup 23-man roster has been selected and it has no surprises but a few injury absences that had to be expected.

Sources have told SBI that Brian Ching and Frankie Hejduk will not be making the trip to South Africa, but Conor Casey will be. Another somewhat surprising omission is midfielder Pablo Mastroeni (though you wonder if he was left off because of the inclusion of club teammate Conor Casey). Benny Feilhaber did make the squad.

Here is the U.S. team's 23-man roster, as told to SBI:

GOALKEEPERS- Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Luis Robles

DEFENDERS- Carlos Bocanegra, Oguchi Onyewu, Jonathan Spector, Jonathan Bornstein, Marvell Wynne, Jay DeMerit, Danny Califf, Heath Pearce.

MIDFIELDERS-Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey, Sacha Kljestan, Jose Francisco Torres, Benny Feilhaber, Ricardo Clark, DaMarcus Beasley, Freddy Adu

FORWARDS- Landon Donovan, Jozy Altidore, Conor Casey, Charlie Davies.

Hejduk's absence from the roster would suggest that he will not play for the U.S. team on Saturday against Honduras. That should open the door for Jonathan Spector to start.

What do you think of this roster? Happy to see Conor Casey get the call? Can you see the U.S. team getting out of its Group of Death (which includes Brazil, Italy and Egypt)? Does Wednesday's loss have you fearing an 0-for-3 in South Africa?

This entry was posted in BREAKING NEWS, Confederations Cup, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

161 Responses to USA Confederations Cup roster revealed

1. Javier says:

Time to fire Bob Bradley. Why is Marvell Wynne on this roster after his terrible performance against Costa Rica. Freddy Adu, good potential but not playing for his club yet makes the roster. Isn’t this basically the same group that was humiliated in Costa Rica? Are these really the best players this nation has? I was looking forward to this tournament, but now I don’t think we’ll advance.

2. socrates says:

No Pablo? Good.

3. Chris May says:

I wish we had better options….

4. The Gentleman Masher says:

@ Javier – who would you have picked otherwise? We’re kind of hamstrung right now (no pun intended) with no Cherundolo, Edu, or Hejduk.

Robles – that’s a big surprise. Doubt he’ll play, of course.

5. lassidawg says:

Here to hoping this means Pablo isn’t starting on Saturday

6. Mentz says:

Javier,

Because honestly after Cherundolo went down and Hejduk got hurt, who else do we have to choose from? You need more than just Jonathan Spector. The kid has potentional to be great, relax…

7. socrates says:

Robles less of surprise considering he was just called in for a training look before the Costa Rica match.

8. NateinSF says:

No Pablo, that’s good news to me. I wonder what exactly the plan is for central midfield deployment? Bradley and….?

We are playing against some top tier opponents and are going to need strong performances from this younger group.

Could be a very good thing at the end of the day, building into 2010. Injuries are forcing the young movement that Bradley probably wouldn’t have otherwise attempted.

9. AlexS says:

How injured is Ching? He’s a no-brainer if he’s healthy, which he was last Saturday. Casey is faster, but doesn’t hold as well or pass as well. If Bob Bradly is holding him out of the Confederation Cup roster, he must be more injured than they’re letting us know.

Interesting that Pablo Mastroeni isn’t on the roster by Benny Feilhaber is. Maybe it’s a hint into whether it’ll be Pablo or Rico getting the start Saturday.

10. Erik says:

This group of players has no chance to even get a point in South Africa…

11. yankiboy says:

Wow!?!? Robles was put on the Confederations Cup Roster! Getting called into camp and put on the roster are two entirely different things.

12. NateinSF says:

Let’s support the team here. There’s plenty of potential on this roster if the team can build some chemistry and play into form anything is possible.

13. cbr says:

i like the roster, thats basically the best we can go with.

14. socrates says:

For comparison, these are (arguably) the best (non-injured) players NOT in this group:

GK: Hahnemann, Perkins, Keller

D: [Castillo!], Parkhurst, Whitbread, Orozco, Goodson, Simek, Marshall, Conrad, Lichaj

MF: [J. Jones!], Rogers, Holden, Arnaud, Thorrington, Carroll, Szetela, C. Clark, White

F: E. Johnson, Rolfe, Cooper, Wolff, Pontius, Findley

15. peteo says:

Even without the CR loss, did anyone expect the US to advance out of that group? They might get a point, and four at most (extreme wishful thinking)?

16. josh says:

I’d love to see some good results out of this squad but unfortunately, I just don’t see it happening. Especially without Hedjuk, I think he brings a presence that was definitely missing during the Cost Rica thrashing.

17. nate says:

Brazil could send out ten full 23 man rosters better than this one.

What can you do? This is the best we got.

18. yankiboy says:

I am not sure if we will get a draw in the Confedrations Cup but how we do in it should give us an idea of how we measure up or fail to measure up to first team competition outside of CONCACAF.

I would leave Marvell with TFC or use him for Gold Cup only.

In the midfield I would leave Kljestan for GC. Same goes for Feilhaber and Fredy.

Up top, I can’t argue too much with the guys that were chosen.

19. MemRook says:

Good point, socrates. I think your post sums up kind of where we’re at right now with the player pool. Do any of those non-injured, non-call ups really belong in South Africa this go around?

The point is, we’re sending the best we have at the moment, espcially those with national team playing experience and experience playing together

20. Luis says:

I’m tired of DMB and I’m tired of Sacha until he can figure things out.

21. Colin Ferguson says:

I’d be a lot happier with Edu on this roster. We’re going to miss him in the middle of the pitch against teams like Brazil and Italy.

I actually am really excited to see the Jozy – Davies tandem in action. Talk about trial by fire though…

22. Looking Dangerous says:

@socrates

Pontius? I’m a DCU fan and I think you have to rate Tino Quaranta above Pontius at this point.

Thanks you for not rating Bobby Convey.

23. yankiboy says:

This now makes me wonder who were are going to send to the Gold Cup because I think that we all have to agree that the Confed cup should be the priority.

24. nate says:

I think this lineup is a testament to how poor our youth development has been since 2002.

We have the depth of a puddle.

25. TimbersJ says:

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your World Cup roster- with Simek instead of Wynne.

26. if we lose on Honduras and go 0-3 in the Confedrations Cup, does Bob get fired?

27. Ben says:

The inclusion of Robles only after that week long stint with the NT testifies to how good he is. I was hoping Boaz Myhill would be the #3 now.

28. yankiboy says:

GK: Hahnemann, Perkins, Keller

F: E. Johnson, Rolfe, Cooper, Wolff, Pontius, Findley

Posted by: socrates

——————————————-

Hey, Bro. Make sure that Bob Bradley buys you a beer and sends you some nice US Training Gear as a bonus (if Sunil approves the expenditure)-that lineup could be our Gold Cup lineup with a tweak or two.

I’ll probably like it as much as what we will probably announce for Gold Cup.

Just as long as the MLS Front Offices and Coaches don’t whine like wusses.

29. NateinSF says:

if we lose on Honduras and go 0-3 in the Confedrations Cup, does Bob get fired?

Posted by: shutupayouface | June 05, 2009 at 02:52 PM

30. Dave says:

There seem to be to many free passes onto the US roster based on past performance. Beasley, Adu, and Pearce are all out of favor at their clubs yet they still get the National team nod. How are they even match fit? Altidore I can see based on recent national team performance but the three above, especially Beasley and Pearce, have not been performing at the National team level recently. I have no suggestions for replacements but it is hard to imagine the team couldn’t do better.

31. nate says:

socrates – nice list. Only addition I would add is Jemal Johnson.

32. HokieFutbol says:

I am very worried we may get embarrassed in Con Cup in spite of all the “progress” we’ve made as a country. The biggest problem is the HUGE lack of quality depth at RB/LB and this roster shows that. When will Cherundolo be good to go? I would like a back line that includes Cherundolo, Boca, Gooch, and Spector for SA (if we qualify after that ghastly performance the other night). I’ve heard moving Boca to the outside since he did well there in France this year and slot in Demerit as a CB. I also wouldn’t complain if Frankie kept his spot. EVERYONE GET HEALTHY so I won’t lose years of my life from the anxiety of screaming at the television.

33. Johnq says:

The Confederation Cup will be an invaluable experience. Do not give up on them just yet.

34. usa says:

listen to all of you, the sky is falling!!! we will never win another game, we stink, we won’t ever qualify for the world cup!!!

35. HokieFutbol says:

I just don’t want 0 points and a goal differential of 10. I feel like best case scenario is 4 points and 2 GD.

36. David says:

Specter, Pearce, Adu, and Beasley…these guys did not play a bit for their club teams and they are key members to our roster…embarrassing…get me someone who at least plays regularly and not just practice!!!!

37. Coach says:

News Flash: It’s not a given that national teams improve in any given 4 year cycle.

News Flash #2: The USMNT is not a club team. Confederations Cup is an exhibition. Chill out.

38. Rekro says:

If we go 0-3 at the Confederations Cup, Bob Bradley should, and will be Fired.

39. nate says:

Rekro – no chance. Now, combine that with losses to Honduras and Mexico and….

still no chance.

40. aristotle says:

I wonder if there there is any amount of humiliation that could be inflicted upon us in this tournament that would be sufficient for Bob Bradley to be fired?

I think the way the U.S. played against Costa Rica was an excellent example of why Bob Bradley is lacking as a coach. I think as a player you have to really like Bradley and motivate yourself to play for him. Bradley is not a coach who will ever inspire or sufficiently motivate players. He is too laid back and doesn’t have it in him to really let players have it when it is necessary. For all of us who think Bradley is a really nice guy, that is a major flaw when there is no fire or other side to your personality that can motivate and inspire. On top of this major flaw he isn’t exactly what you would call a great tactical coach is he? Time to correct the mistake of replacing the “arrogant” “as*hole” coach with the nice guy.

41. Chris says:

Confed cup is set up to maximize the chance that RSA gets out of its group. Thus we get Egypt, Brazil, Italy.

Is it possible we will get out of the group? Yes. Is it likely? … meh

42. GJJ says:

I think Adu looked rusty the other nite, but in both the CR game and the Spain game last year, he was the only US player who flummoxed the opposition for even a second. Wynn has to go, Bocanegra should play his team position which is left back. I am a Fulham fan and I think that Dempsey needs to ride the bench a while. If everyone was healthy and there were no suspensions, I would play.

Altidore———-Davies
    Adu—–Torres—–Bradley—-Donovan
    Bocanegra–Demerit—Onyewu–Spector
    Howard

43. Wispy says:

Ben — Myhill plays for Wales.

44. Enfilade says:

Great, because Donovan was going to be gone so long for national team duty, I traded him off my fantasy team for….Conor Casey…who is now going to be gone for the confederations cup as well!! =(

45. Wispy says:

Or maybe Scotland. Can’t remember which, but it isn’t us (U.S.).

46. STX81 says:

I’m surprised BB has never given Jeff Larentowicz a run out in the defensive midfield position.

He should at least be given a opportunity to make the Gold Cup squad.

47. Matt says:

Santino Quaranta? Does the team need a dealer? Get real.

48. shantz says:

Why know Eddie Johnson,i think he has improved in his time in England and can regain his best form from a couple of years ago

49. adam says:

OUR DEFENSE IS GOING TO CRAP GOALS!

50. nate says:

Conor Casey could be this cycle’s Dempsey

51. Ben says:

Wispy- He “plays” for Wales, but hasn’t featured in anything but friendlies, and under new FIFA ruling as of less than a week ago he is free to play for us if he pleases.

The previous rule was that when a player was 21, they had to make their choice regarding international play, and that rule has been lifted.

So you may ask yourself, he has played for Wales, so how is he eligible for us? Currently, he has only played in friendlies for Wales, which are not FIFA sanctioned matches. Those FIFA sanctioned matches are required to “cap-tie” a player.

It may be easier to get him that we think because he can be the man who follows Tim Howard after he retires internationally. The man he’s backing up for Wales is 22. He is 25.

52. kpugs says:

Bradley sure does love Sacha Kljestan.

53. The Gentleman Masher says:

@ Wispy – it’s Wales.

I’m reminded that this is where it would be nice to have Subotic and Rossi. Granted – Rossi made up his mind long ago…but still.

54. Jerry says:

GAHHHHHH, No Ching or Hejduk!!! argh!!!!!!!!!!
    the two players with the most heart cannot go…this sux!!!!
    damnit, damnit, damnit

55. Jerry says:

surely ching could be healed by then!!!

56. Jerry says:

no dolo, no edu,
    this is looking like an olympic team

57. Ben says:

Gentleman Masher- Subotic and Rossi aren’t elgible for us via the fact they played in official FIFA matches. Myhill is eligible for us.

58. does anyone know why conrad hasn’t been called in lately?

59. Ben says:

@John from Denver- I heard that there is a rift between Conrad and Bradley, and we won’t see him any time soon.

60. zongzap says:

What a shocker. If BB’s still coach when this starts, he won’t after it’s over. We got blown out by Costa Rica with mainly this group… how does he think we’ll do any better against better teams?

61. Jerry says:

blech danny califf….wtf bob bradley….
    we lose bad in confederations cup….no heart, no depth, we are stuck with a slow and inexperienced team

62. Wispy says:

Thanks, Ben — I didn’t know the “declare by age 21″ rule has been lifted.

So…besides Myhill, are there any other good non-cap-tied players out there (not like Dikkselrud, but someone older than 21) that we that we can snap up? Preferably a great striker or a LB?

63. nyc says:

I’m amazed that Wynne gets called. I’d rather see Orozco or any other right back.

I don’t see anyone more talented who isn’t included in the squad.

64. jtd says:

starting to feel about beasley the way i felt about ej…

i don’t get it.

65. Jags98 says:

Come on guys, complaining about Adu not playing for his team and he shouldn’t be on the roster.

Not saying he should or shouldn’t be on the roster.

But, if you say he should not bc he is not playing then you must have the same position on a half dozen other players on this list.

66. Ben says:

Wispy- As a matter of fact, there are a few.

First, Myhill

Jermaine Jones. CM, Schalke 04, considered one of the best in Germany, but the coach doesn’t like him at all and won’t call him up.

Edgar Castillo, LB, Club America, thats right, Edgar is still eligible for us.

Marc Heider, FWD. He’s unattached right now but played for the Werder Bremen reserves for three years successfully. He’s 23.

Fabian Johnson, RB/RM, 1860 Munich. He’s the most unlikely because he just turned 21 and is in the U21 Euros for Germany later this month, but it’s still possible.

Jones is the best of the bunch for sure, and given his fiery attitude, he may jump tp play for the USA, even as a means of getting back at Germany.

67. Joe says:

Maybe its the man crush I admittedly have for Benny Feilhaber, I’m not sure what it is exactly but I am excited to see Benny back with the full squad. He has had a rough go the last couple years, some of which was his fault, some of it not at all. He could really turn out to be a diamond in the rough of our midfield. He is a attack minded CM with skill, not a physical player like Mastroeni, but the kind of player that when placed within the right system 4-4-2 can thrive.

Go get e’m Benny!!

68. RK says:

Posted by: yankiboy

I don’t think so — he is the 3rd stringer, and out of season…perfect chance to bring him along.

Matt: that’s poor.

69. Chase says:

Eric Lichaj? Quit playing Football Manager…

I must add, some of you people are going off the deep end with this FIFA eligibility ruling, Myhill?! He is in the Welsh team for their qualifier against Azerbajian, give it up already!

70. Cam says:

I was pissed off at Michael Orozco after his incident at the Olympics, but I’ve gotten past it. Bob Bradley needs to do the same thing. We need him now more than ever on defense. He’s played very well in the Mexican league and deserves to be on the national team.

71. Todd says:

After Obama’s speech yesterday, I was having a debate with my buddy. I asked him what would he thought would happen first, the US winning the World Cup, or peace in the Middle East. He was speechless. He had no answer. I was wondering what everyone else thinks, although I am not sure if this is the correct forum for such an arugment.

72. Henry says:

Good thing Casey has been playing good lately otherwise we would have been stuck with Eddie Johnson

73. dave says:

fire bradley, cut his son.. jus’ sayin

74. Eric says:

I wonder if Feilhaber will get the start or some playing time against Honduras rather than Mastroeni, considering one was on this roster and the other was not. Plus Feilhaber is back to match fit and had been playing regularly for Aarhus for about a month before the call up. Not to mention that we know he possesses great talent and Bob Bradley likes him. I would be interested to see a lineup of him and Torres or Klejstan, with maybe Clark behind them, that would remind me a lot of a Iniesta, Xavi midfield that Barca employed. Instead of relying on heavy tacklers, put guys out there with skill and passing ability to control the game and have a guy like clark there or barca’s case yaya toure to clean up any mess. That idea might require more advanced tactics than our young midfield is ready to handle though.

Also, I don’t know why we aren’t giving Dempsey a look at Central mid. I mean first of all it’s his preferred position and second he provides bite and creativity to that spot.

75. Ben says:

@Chase

OK, so Myhill is unlikely, we never expected to get all of them, but even one would be a victory. If we got Jones, who apparantly has lost interest for playing internationally, or Castillo, who is going unused by Mexico, it would be great.

So wipe the frown off your face from wednesday and get optimistic.

76. ThaDeuce says:

i agree, with this, where is orozco… after bornstein and pearce, i figure he deserves a really good shot. i think he is better than those two.

77. NoSkills says:

We must naturalize some Brasilians and Argentinos before the 2010. No more excuses.

78. Eric says:

Just fyi for all you misinformed people out there but Jones has been capped three times by Germany, so give up on that one.

79. KCB says:

If there’s one thing I have learned from the recent injury bug hitting the US Nats it is this:
    The US are not very deep. If you could put out our Very Best Starting XI we can complete with some the top nations in the world, but just like we learned a couple years ago from sending a B squad down to South Africa, we have no depth. I hope no serious injuries hit about this time next summer or it will be tough to watch.

80. Chase says:

@Ben

I don’t have a frown on my face, I’m just not as convinced as a very vocal minority on the various soccer boards and blogs out there, who seem to believe that this FIFA ruling is some kind of harbinger of great things for the USMNT.

Would I be thrilled to get Jones or Castillo? Heck yeah! Am I going to sit here wringing my hands and worrying about it ala Subotic/Rossi/etc for the next several months? Hell no! Its a waste of time and energy.

You have every right to post about it, but in every topic today someone has gone crazy about this issue as if this ruling is the miracle cure for our national footballing ills…

81. alex says:

What about Holden?

82. socrates says:

Eric- Since you are informed, were those caps in official comps or in friendlies?

83. ETJ says:

We lose one game (that we were gonna lose anyway) and it’s off with Bradley’s head. Relax we’re using our third string right back and our star forward (yeah I’m talking about Ching) was injured… so lets all just chill

84. Supsam says:

Must be a national team curse…why is it that we finally have some decent players in form and get playing time in Europe, (Cherundolo, Edu)they end up injured in time to play for the Nats……

NOOOOOOOOOO! Im tired of these no touch, easily tired, easily rushed, mistake prone players that go overseas and recieve little to NO PLAYING TIME yet still get called into the Nats. Im looking at you Beasley…come back to MLS or look for a european club that will play you. Beasley has not been the same ever since he went to the Rangers.

85. if heydude and ching improve healthwise, can they replace a couple of guys currently on the roster?? Or is this set??

86. MagicWong says:

Pardon my ignorance but how is castillo eligible, I am guessing he hasn’t played with Mexico on a FIFA date?

87. soccerroo says:

Man I was hoping Mastroni would be there for the Italy game. I would love to see him put a little hurt on Rossi if he got into the game. Now it is left up to Gooch and I hope he does not get a card for it.

88. Nats says:

We are going 0-3. No doubt.

89. Eric says:

Socrates-

Good point, I did not realize the nuances of the rule change. I also thought he had been on the roster for Euro 2008 even though he did not get a cap but turns out he was the last player cut.

90. Jason says:

If we consider Hejduk and Ching out with injuries, and Edu and Cherundolo, I think this is the best team we have with a couple exceptions:

1) Mastroeni.
    2) Hahnemann/Keller in goal.
    3) Kenny Cooper
    4) Frank Simek.

Still, BB maybe has finally decided to give Clark a shot (though Edu’s injury probably forced it), and Spector (Dolo and Hejduk injuries), and someone new in the forward pool (Casey).

OK, maybe we just got lucky. But given the injury situation, this is about the best we can do right now.

Guess at GC Roster:
    GK: Guzan, Keller, Perkins
    D: Cherundolo, Marshall, Orozco, Pearce; Freeman, Parkhurst, Whitbread, Hejduk.
    M: White, Mastroeni, Holden, Rogers, Zizzo, Szetela, Beckermann, C. Clark
    F: Casey, Cooper, EJ, Findley

91. la_sangre_nueva says:

Bring in Orozco, Findley and Beckerman. Then we have some new blood that would die for the shirt. Get rid of Beasley, Mastroeni but
    keep Wynne. Wynne has come a long way and needs more playing time.

92. Ben says:

@Chase

You are absolutely right, sorry if I came off edgy. It would be great, but I’m not counting on it, just thinking about how great it would be.

Jones is not cap tied to Germany, all of his “caps” were in friendlies not sanctioned by FIFA, same with Castillo.

93. mike ruze says:

Lets see,

Casey has been called up before and did nothing. Cooper is a better goal scorer and has scored when called up.

What sense does that make? Yea Cooper fits the “system” but you should change your system to play you best players….not take lower quality players to fit your system.

Marvell Wynn???? Really??? did Bradley have blinders on during the game?

At least see how they perform sat before putting them on the roster

No Simek…and more Califf?

We need a coach who will play the best players and not favorites

94. socrates says:

Grass is greener 11

– Ryan Guy — Matt Taylor — Marcus Tracy –

Marco Vidal —————— Jemal Johnson
    —- Jermaine Jones — Alejandro Bedoya —-

Edgar Castillo — Zak Whitbread — Eric Lichaj

————– Luis Robles ————-

95. Andrew says:

Some of these comments are unbelievable. We lost one qualifier. Maybe start getting flustered if we struggle and don’t get a result on Saturday. What are some of your expectations for the national team? We aren’t a superpower yet. Jesus.

Also, seeing as the Confederations Cup is a prep for the World Cup, it makes sense to give our first team the looks rather than fielding a wishful thinking, upside roster. And let’s lay off Marvell Wynne a bit. He didn’t have the best game, but he’s still developing and his physical gifts are unmatched. Again, remember how he looked in the Olympics. He’s going to be a stud.

96. andrew in tampa says:

well guys and gals, here is some perspective. We could have been France- loaded with world class talent and a lousy coach. Did anyone see France against Nigeria at home earlier this week? I am watching the game versus Turkey and if it wasn’t for a penalty France would not have scored. And this is with Anelka, Benzema and Malouda. coaching matters folks, coaching and selection matters. The game on Saturday night will tell us how good(or bad) a coach bradley is. He needs to figure out how to get Demsey and Donovan to play well against topflight competition. Until now he has not done that.

97. Michael Cuello says:

We will do just fine, we won’t lose to Honduras, it will be difficult but we’ll get pass it.

We’ll probably lose to Italy and Brazil but will beat Egypt out in the first round of Conf Cup 1-2, so what? Did you expect anything different regardless of the players Bradley takes? Com’om

98. Rocco says:

Wow, is it me or does everyone feel like where is our A team after this announcement. I doubt we’ll get 1 point.

After a few injuries now we really see the lack of depth with our National Team.

Adu, Beaz, Pearce, Feilhaber these guys aren’t just not starting for their club teams, they either play little or not at all. WTF.

99. adam says:

Andrew,

Bob Bradley has showed a lack of tactical acumen for some time. Look at the El Salvador game as well. Its just that in the Costa Rica game the issues were far more pronounced with the truncated practice schedule and improved opposition. It is highly possible we could lose Saturday night as well.

100. Wispy says:

Alliteration 11

—-Conor Casey—–Jemal Johnson—-

Robbie Rogers ————— Zal Zizzo

—-Jermaine Jones—-Bob Bradley Jr–

————Kasey Keller————-

Sorry, I know Zizzo is a stretch and that’s as far as I can get..just havin’ some fun on a Friday…

101. safri15 says:

This is the first day a Soccer by Ives thread is more pessimistic than it’s corresponding Big Soccer one.

102. Win says:

The good thing about Wynne going to South Africa is that it means he probably won’t play for the US there, definately won’t play for the US in the Gold Cup and won’t play for Toronto. Assuming he helps Toronto this is a win-win-win

103. goalscorer24 says:

Pretty happy with this roster as long as Bradely uses klejstan and Beasley as subs. If Bradley uses some of the other players, there hopefully can be more competition for playing spots, which can only help.

104. BellusLudas says:

I am beginning to sound redundant but it is a SAD testimony to our domestic league that in-form MLS players are getting looked over for Euro Bench Sitters!

I really can’t question Bob’s choices, but only look forward to the day MLS provides truly competitive teams.

105. Supsam says:

If we want some fresh faces, why not call Kyle Beckermann in? Id say he was one of the best holding mids in MLS. Way better and more athletic than Mastroeni and way smarter than Clark and is not rusty and fragile like Feilhaber.

106. Sean Monaghan says:

EFFF EMMMM ELLL

107. TimN says:

I’m not so concerned about the Confederations Cup at this moment. These guys need to rebound with a win Saturday against a talented and fast Honduras team, and it will be no easy task, even at home. However, for the moment, here are my thoughts for the upcoming Cup:

I really don’t see other options for call-ups right now given the injuries. The loss of Edu and Cherundolo are really bad, and the experience of somebody like Hejduk isn’t replaceable.

I’d like to see a 4-4-2 as follows:

—–Donovan—–Altidore

–Dempsey–Bradley–Torres–Kljestan

–Spector–Oneywu–Bocanegra–DeMerit

———-Howard———-

I don’t really see us getting out of the group, however. I think one point is the most likely scenario, four would be great, and five would be a dream. I think though that playing in such a tough group will be particularly good for showing the younger players how good they must be if we are to advance out of the group stage and make any kind of run in WC 2010

108. ELAC says:

I we win any of our next 5 games, I’ll be shocked.

Let’s not underestimate Bornstein. Sacha is a joke. Im selling my Kjesltan jersey on ebay.

I like Jemal Johnson, Jermaine Jones, Michael Orozco, Marcus Tracy, Michael Parkhurst for the Gold cup.

THIS TEAM IS GARBAGE. NOT ENOUGH CHEMISTRY.

Klinsi save us!

109. adam says:

Jermaine Jones won’t be playing for the USA…NEXT.

110. Wispy says:

111. Roy Wegerle says:

If Kyle Beckerman gets called up I’ll officially stop watching the USMNT. He is a decent player, that’s all he’ll ever be.

The main reason we got schooled on Wednesday was a complete lack of team defense and basically no distribution coming from the middle. There was too much pressure on our backs to get forward which basically rendered our outside mids null. Landon needed more touches as did Deuce (though admittedly neither of them impressed much when they did have the ball).

Deep breaths, we’ll beat Honduras 2-0 and all will be well and good.

112. Andrew says:

“Call me overly optimistic, but maybe all these injuries can lead to good things: Casey getting an extended look, Benny working his way back in, or even )if no one else steps up) Hejduk moving back to LB like he played in the ’02 WC when both he and Dolo are healthy.”

Definitely. We will be fine.

113. Freddy says:

Pablo had one very bad game on the crappiest turf in existence and he’s being written off. That’s hard to stomach.

I would have put Conrad and Parkhurst over DeMerit and Califf. Pablo and Thorrington should be in over Clark and especially Feilhaber who is not yet read for this kind of competition. Also since Heath Pearce can’t even make the first team of a bottom Bundesliga 2 squad, what business does he have being called in??

114. Supsam says:

What Erik said earlier in a different post does bring up a very interesting point. What happens if everyone plays their “natural” role…or where they play for their clubs…..

———Altidore—-Ching
    —————Donovan
    Dempsey——–Bradley———Torres

Bocanegra—Onyewu—Parkhurst–Spector

Note:
    -I know Torres plays more centrally for Pachuca but we already have enough good player in the middle with Donovan and Bradley switching spots if either is out of position. I think Torres is more than capable of getting in position with alot of space for himself and whipping in crosses and a through balls every now and then. He and Donovan are the only ones i trust on keeping composure with the ball when presssured by an opposing player.
    -Correct me if im wrong but i do believe left attacking midfield is Dempsey’s role at Fulham and he has done well with the Cottagers.
    -DeMerit or Parkhurst…either will do. If you want a rock solid defense, especially on set pieces, go with DeMerit. If you want a more quicker and dynamic defense, go with Parkhurst. Id go with Parkhurst cuz i do believe Onyewu and Parkhurst can play their off each other’s strangths and weaknesses

Why not play everyone’s strength? Not only that but if you keep it consistent, team chemistry will skyrocket since everyone is playing their preferred roles!! What do you guys think? Supsam for USMNT coach?? Haha jsut playing i can dream right

115. Nats says:

Why won’t Jermaine Jones be playing for us? Why has he not been called? This guy plays CM for Schalke for goodness sake!

116. mark says:

Amazing how quickly things change on these boards. Many ignored history and the facts that Costa Rica at home is a very difficult team to beat.

So now much of the same crowd is expecting the team to just fall apart when a win against Honduras is just around the corner. No way we lose that game.

And while the Confed Cup will be great experience for many of the guys, so even if we lose all 3 games it’s unlikely Bradley gets fired. I think US Soccer has far more reasonable expectations than this bunch.

117. smits says:

I knew the group would be a tough one to get out of, but with this group it will be impossible.

118. Supsam says:

Hasnt Jermaine Jones already been capped by Germany? Or was it during the U-21s

119. Supsam says:

Plus if he hasnt shown no interest in playing for us than i dont care about this guy

120. adam says:

Because he PLAYS FOR GERMANY!

121. Angelo says:

…i cant wait till we beat honduras and when early 2010 comes around, with cherundolo, Maurice Edu, and Ching back, people will forget this loss. just chill out and get comfy, watch Saturdays game and see what happens. wow…i havent seen so much spazzing in my life

122. Nic D "The Texas 2 Stepper" says:

Jones would actually have to play for Germany to PLAY FOR GERMANY!

He was cut from their squad over a year ago. Fallen out with the coach.
    Will not be called in as long as that coach is there.
    Coach is not going anywhere soon.
    Jones is a beast!
    He has international aspirations!

You can encourage him to make the right choice by going here:

link to jermaine-jones.de

Sign the guest book and recruit this guy to play for his Father’s country!

123. EA says:

The biggest surprise for me was Robles.

You’d figure Perkins/Hahnemann or Seitz would have had the lock on the 3rd GK spot, given Bob’s call up patterns.

I’ve never seen Robles play, but the videos I saw on ussoccer.com; he looked like an absolute beast.

Like Zach Thornton, but fit and possessing skill.

Good on the kid.

124. MiamiAl says:

Santino Quaranta? Does the team need a dealer? Get real.

Posted by: Matt | June 05, 2009 at 03:12 PM
    ______________________________________________

That was a low blow Matt…

125. timber nick says:

as long as we beat the Italians with Rossi in the lineup, I don’t care who we have on the field.

126. Adam M. says:

Bradley should go unless we beat Honduras and get at least one point in South Africa. Bottom line here is that Guss Hiddink is available and he is a proven winner that speaks English and isn’t limited by complete experience in the U.S. The talent pool is limited, but they are also not playing to their potential. That’s the coach’s fault.

127. adam says:

Guss Hiddink ? Available? No.

He coaches Russia, thats why he was only @ Chelsea for half the year.

128. Cody says:

0-3 whoppie!!!!

129. timber nick says:

“…and isn’t limited by complete experience in the U.S. The talent pool is limited, but they are also not playing to their potential. That’s the coach’s fault.”

i couldn’t agree more.

130. Crawley says:

The tournament is during the summer when many leagues are done with play, minus a few like MLS, Sweden’s and a few others so all the National teams and their players might not be as game fit as they all want to be. That leaves the possibility for the US to not necessarily win it, but to play good against the other teams and players who haven’t played games themselves in a while. Of course coming off a good season is beneficial but then again, that’s what camps and stuff are for.

Then again somebody might think we should just use players from the MLS that are match fit and still playing games up until then. (I’m not saying it but somebody might.)

131. JDavids says:

Hmmm. No bueno. Push Boca out to the left and put in Demerit!

Nooooo Sacha…what do you think is going to happen to Mr. “No goals in the MLS Sacha Kliejstan” if he goes to the world cup?
    Bad things
    Can you see him holding his own with the big boys?
    When does the transfer window open again? Donovan please go to a mid-table Euro team in Spain . Or Benfica or Porto or anything but LA. The Galaxy isn’t going to prepare Donovan for a world class showing at the World Cup.

132. Blank says:

Whey has Jimmy Conrad not been called up for anything? Let me know if you think that Jimmy Conrad should be called up.

133. lprevolution says:

brian namoff

134. julio says:

Glad Pablo is not on the roster. I like that BOb has the B@lls to add youth to this squad with Torres, Adu, Jozy (no brainer), Davies, showing some COJOS. I like it. I thought he was goign to put his tail between his legs and bring is McBride (ok kidding)or play it safe with J.Wolff or something along those lines. You shut up me up Bob. Besides the only way your program grows is to put the Vets with the kids in a tough enviroment like this.

135. Ben says:

Read posts people

136. DaveW says:

Please remember that the only competitions that count are World Cups and WCQs(and there the only thing that really matters is finishing in the money for WC). Confeds Cup is great to go to for the experience and figuring out logistics, but the extremely unlikely scenario of winning it and not going to SA is >possible<.

So giving some out of form but talented players some PT and time training/playing may be useful, especially as their clubs may not want them at a meaningless Gold Cup when they could be in preseason training.

137. Rastafari says:

Isn’t it like this every cycle?

Drama Drama,,,,,,

bring in Conor Casey like f’n yesterday.. and if Altidrore doesn’t stop shaking every defenders hand during the game..(?) put in Davies ASAP

USA 3 Honduras 1

138. Rastafari says:

OOPS.. posted in wrong column

Jah

139. madmax says:

I don’t like Beasley, Wynne, Califf, Feilhaber Kljestan. Adu, and Altidore on squad.

Two reasons, not playing well at club, or not playing at all.

I wouldn’t mind them being on Gold Cup squad.

140. steve-o says:

all you haters shut up. Bradley is doing just fine. We lost one game in qualifying. If for some reason we don’t qualify, then yes he should be fired. If he were fired tomorrow, who could do better? Klinsman? Doubtful. Yes coaching is important to a degree, but players play. Our technical ability is not as good as other countries. Bradley’s W/L record as a coach is fantastic.

24-8-4? That is above a .700 winning percentage. Because in the end, that is what matters — Wins and losses Do we play attractively, no. And we won’t for a long time. Why everyone thinks the US should suddenly turn into Brazil, Italy, Germany, or Holland is beyond me.

Costa Rica is a good team. They have beaten Mexico at Azteca for pete’s sake. We had a bad game, on a sh*tty field. Relax people!! I’m sure we will have another bad game at some point.

The confederations cup will be a nice litmus test, but in the end it really doesn’t mean anything. I want the experience. If we play well and lose, so be it.

————————-

The US will win the world cup before there is peace in the middle east. They have been fighting for centuries, and will continue to do so for centuries more.

141. To be honest I think the most worrying thing is that there will be no brian ching. I know he isn’t good at scoring goals at the higher levels, but he seems to be a calming force for the USA to keep possession when things get tough. If the squad jells really well and is playing out of its skin then we will be better off without him and will have a chance of beating someone down there.

2. Dempsey makes intelligent runs. On Wednesday no one was on the same page with him and he was swamped by defenders, and he was the only person to really take on and beat someone successfully. Ride the pine?

3. Has Edu really gotten that good recently? How much worse off are we with Clark instead? I did want to see Edu down in the Confederations Cup

142. oh danny boy says:

It’s only lost one game, relax… I think those words are why many are ok with mediocrity. I like the fact that the majority of the people are pissed at the loss, it shows we care. Not only am I ticked at the loss, but I am super pissed at how we lost. BB’s team hasn’t looked right for a while and the CR game was the biggest eye opener at how our team is prepared for a big game. Bob Bradley should be fired. What’s the skinny on Scolari? Is he looking to get back to the International scene? Why not the US?

143. jason says:

WOW! How in the world is Adu, getting shafted like this form his own fans because of his club situation..who gives a crap, thats in the past. We are going to be playing Brazil,Italy and Egypt an identical England,Spain,Argentina super group of last year………..and guess who was our BEST player………ADU……..In fact when Freddy Adu came off the field vs Spain our team just was cluless…thats how good Adu in the #10 role for US is. How blind can we as US fans be. Fine dont play Adu becuase he dident play with his Europe Club, lets call up Nguyen becuase he plays ALL THE TIME……..Adu is our true #10 who shows up in big games and big tornaments……Even Ives piece last year after the England,SPain,Argentina games.. which Ives qouted on Adu “The reality is there is no other player in the U.S. national team pool like Adu”……So even Ives is telling why we need Adu to start in the CC.

144. lprevolution says:

Just putting this out there.

Would it be good for the US to finish 4th in order to face a playoff with a CONMEBOL team?

This would force US Soccer to make some real decisions.

145. Jersey Scouser says:

The talk here shows we are moving in the right direction as a country who loves a little footy now and then. For those who are saying we maybe pulling the gun on BB to fast lets just imagine that this is Brazil or Spain or one of the top 5 soccer countries that just lost the the 41st ranked team and played like absolute crap. Especially when they tied a bad team the last go round. In those top tier countries the coach would have been fired before the flight home or resigned in embarrassement. BB rightfully should be on the hot seat and if they lose tonight he should be fired if they do not play with passion. If this happens this should be a lesson to the next NT coach that lack luster results in this region will not go unpunished. There should be no free rides to the WC anymore. That goes for both players and coaches. As far as a replacement it will not be Klinsi as the USSF would not admit they were wrong by not hiring him the first go around. They will need to find a respected mid level SA or European coach who will take no crap and can change team tactics on the fly. Why would we not be able to go down in to Brazil, Argentina or God forbid Mexico and find a coach who will change our system and fit budget wise into the USSF stingy salary. Or will the USSF take the money out of the bank and use it on something other than padding their own bank accounts….Only time will tell.

146. JustinG says:

I don’t think Bob Bradley has the respect of his players anymore. You could see that by how they played against Costa Rica and the look on the faces of the bench players. They all looked like they weren’t even interested in being there. Then Davies comes on and hustles his @$$ off, but only for the last 15-20 minutes. I say another poor outing against Honduras and Bradley needs to go. Or if we get annialated in the Confed. Cup. If we can’t advance in that tourney, what makes us think we will do any better next year in SA with basically the same squad? It’s easier to interchange the coach and try new tactics than it is to interchange an entire team under the same philosophy. Look at how Capello has righted England, and how fast he has done it. Get the right coach for the U.S. and things will go better. And no, I don’t believe that a coach from the MLS is the right fit simply because he knows the American style of play. Time to couch up some dough and get a coach worth it. Also time for Gulati to stop being the Al Davis of soccer and let his manager have full control of the team.

147. primoone says:

after reading many of the suggested, hari-brained line-ups…I have decided to swich over to “Soccernotbyives.net”

First of all. No one player is going to make the team play better (my apologies to the Adu Jock-strap riders fan club).

The only thing that will improve the team is a proven manager at the helm.

If I was an owner of a company (USSF) I would want a proven, accomplished and inspirational leader to get sh-t done and reproduce that same success with my organization. My friends, Bradley aint done jack. From a players perspective, In my personal opinion, playing for someone that has not accomplished anything on the international level is not the same as playing for a legend. Yes there are exceptions to any rule (Ruhd Gullit <—-Sp) But I think we are all in agreement that he is bonkerz.

My point being, is this. If you put a bonafied futbal head in charge of that team. Players will be more attentive more agressive and will have intensified that hunger to prove to that coach that they can play the game. They will be seeking that coachs’ approval. In addition to that, the players will have to compete for their position. They will be competeing not only during USMNT camp but with their clubs. You don’t play for club, you dont play for the Nat. and ultimately those that do play will be held accountable for their performance.

This is the fundamental basis for highering a proven manager. Bob Bradley, bless his soul, is just a bit in over his head. He is a good coach, but until he can find a way to motivate these players, light a fire under there rears and implement some accountability, Bob will always be your average guy you bring in to uphold the status quo.

148. JBskynet says:

Playing an unfamiliar, OFFENSIVE-MINDED formation (4-3-3), on a shitty field in front of a hostile crowd. I call that tactical naiveté. Say what you want about his record, BB is not the best choice if the US wants to win meaningful games on the road. 4-3-3 was simply reckless and not even having defensive cover (in the shape of J. Spector)on the bench for the inexperienced Wynne and the out-of-position, out-of-form Beasley was poorly thought out and inexcusable. We’ll hold onto BB through SA of course; and the USA will go down in flames once more.

149. Chillin says:

Wow, so many of you are absolute jokes. Everybody loved the move of Beasley to left back just a month or two ago and now these same people are criticizing it. While I agree that Spector should have played, I don’t know the circumstances that surrounded Wynne starting over him. Not to mention that all of you criticizing Wynne now are the same people who creamed in your pants when you saw his name on the roster to begin with because he is ‘young’ and up and coming. And isn’t that what you’ve all be calling for?

Did Spector take a last minute knock? Was he being saved for the game against Honduras?

I don’t know, but either way one game, as bad as it was, should never be enough to fully judge a team, a coach or a player. People need to look at the process. Otherwise we all could have said we thought that Heath Pearce was going to be a world beater at left back after his great performance against Brazil, but as we have looked at the overall process, it’s pretty easy to tell that he is not the answer there. That is how all evaluations should be treated, not just rash yelling about 1 bad game. Look at the overall process before criticizing. And please, so many of you need to stop being hypocrites and call for more young players to get caps and then when they get called in and don’t perform well in a game jump all over the coach and talk about how bad of a selection that player was. It’s just getting ridiculous.

150. t.z0n3 says:

This lineup and our depth have never really been much different. We never have been a team of depth, to be completely honest. Our second team and our first team are absolutely black and white when they come face to face. Unless our first team falls flat like they did against Costa Rica, and then they’re both that bad. Honestly, I don’t think we can expect much by numbers in the Confed Cup except to put up a fight. The most satisfying game I have watched in the last few years was our 4-2 loss to Brazil. If we come out attacking like that, and FIGHT them, actually play some good soccer, then I would have no regrets going out 0-3. But if we come out bunkering, and lose 2-0, 3-0, crap like that, then I think that I should feel ashamed. As a fan, that’s what I hope for in any team.

151. Chillin says:

t.z0n3-

I could not agree more, I mean our draw against Italy in 2006 was probably the most satisfying game I have seen from the US in a long time, as well as the Brazil game. The US needs to really take a blue collar mentality in to every game and fight like hell and get stuck in all over the field. That’s how our team played in 2002 when we did have a successful World Cup. That team fought for every ball and never sat back. They didn’t play the most beautiful game but the effort was there for everybody to see and that set them apart. That’s how we got the draw against Italy and almost pulled off a result against Brazil. And that is why we fell flat against Costa Rica, because that mentality was absent save for a couple players. It’s all about putting in the extra effort to fight for everything.

152. Freddy Adon't says:

Whatever happened to Chris Seitz?

He performed pretty well in ’07 in Canada pre-injury. I’ve heard nothing about him since, and I don’t see him discussed anywhere here.

153. ThaDeuce says:

/i’d like to see beckerman called in over sacha, orozco over califf, and no pearce or wynne. At least torres, adu, and feilhaber made it over pablo. we will definitely miss hejduk, ching, edu, and dolo. However, it will be a good experience for some of our depth and possibly new stars will emerge. Don’t know why torres wasn’t included yesterday, but with the win and his inclusion in south africa, i’m currently retracting my “fire bob bradley” call. ; )

154. JakeO says:

I don’t think it’s a good idea to include Euro based players in squads for two tournaments for the summer, yet they need to be given adequate time to audition for a place on the WC roster. I’d like get a real good look at Charlie Davies, Freddy Adu, Brad Guzan and Jonathan Spector this summer. If they aren’t going to be given a few games in the first 11 in South Africa, they should be left of the roster and brought in for the Confederations Cup. In addition, I think Wynne and Bornstein could benefit from playing more competitive internationals at the Confederations Cup.

155. Juan from L.A. says:

I echo the sentiments of most here. Why the hell is Pearce in this national team. The US team shouldn’t be the ticket to getting a club to get to look at you. This is pathetic. We are about to face first squad in the world squads and we have this Pearce who hasnt played and got laid off by a 2nd bundesliga team. So much for being 13th in the world!!!

156. Bottlcaps says:

I was pleasantly surprized by Conner Casey’s performance against Honduras. His work rate and constant attacking, especially on the right side seemed to stretch the Honduran defense allowing more room in the middle.
    The U.S. should really put more emphasis on set pieces, I don’t know how much work the US does but when your forwards and defenders average several inches taller than your opponents, especially those from Central America, you need to take advantage of that much more. Donovan, Beasley, and Adu and to a lesser extent Dempsey, deliver excellent balls into the box, we just need “the 6 foot club” to work harder for position and maybe more set plays. Much more work needs to be done to bring the ball down the flanks to get those corner kicks!

Unfortunately for Casey, having very little experience with Altidore showd as many good passes were missed or each player was slightly out of position most likely due to some mis-communications rather than lacking any particular skill set.

I cannot see Beasley holding his own as a right/left back against Italy or Brazil. His insertion against T&T was simply to counter thier speed and not allow them to turn corner and deliver good crosses. To an extent it worked, but the Costa Rica game exposed him badly.

Landon Donovan should be listed as a midfielder, but I guess a withdrawn forward is a position he plays very well.

I do not think the US is prepared enough to put in a good showing at the ConFed Cup. Injuries to some key players should allow some fringe players to get good exposure, but this team has not practiced or trained enough together to have the cohesiveness needed for good games against Italy and Brazil. I’m looking at a 0-2-1 and if lucky an 1-2-0

Finally, Hurray for Luis Robles, A player from my neck of the woods (Cochise County, Arizona). Next Generation of US Goalkeepers on it’s way!

157. RSLin208 says:

CONFEDERATIONS XI:

_____________Timmy____________
    _Spector_Gooch_Boca_Bornstein_
    _________Clark__Bradley_______
    _Dempsey___Feilhaber__Donovan_
    ___________Altidore___________

GOLD CUP XI:

______________Pickens______________
    _Wingert_Whitbread_Parkhurst_Lichaj_
    __________Szetela___Carrol__________
    _______White____________J.Johnson___
    __________Tracy______EJ_____________

158. Bobby says:

I don’t see the US making much headway in the Confed Cup particularly when they are in “Group of Death”! Brazil and Italy are two exceptional teams. The match between USA and Egypt might be interesting to watch….Egypt has a particularly good squad and a new Zidan may emerge.
    I wrote an article about the competition, have a read…
    link to theflatbackfour.blogspot.com

159. Bryan says:

how Whitbread gets over looked for Califf and Pearce is beyond me. Peace cannot get time and Califf plays in a less competitive league than the Championship.

Again, I like our team I just wish more players were getting regular time at their clubs and I wish we had a coach who brought out the best in these players.

160. Shaun Dizko says:

Preparing for the World Cup is a bit of a process, especially for the USA. The team is good enough to play top ball, that is not really the question, it becomes a strategy scenario with formations and most importantly a psychological game with the players. What kind of symmetry does the team possess etc. There also is the crapshoot of who they play for the first two games. Its tricky. Teams of nothing but A list players get beat all the time by teams with great chemistry and form. This is truly what Bob needs to accomplish and they will be fine. Three players need to consistently stand out the rest be consistent and in tune with each other. That will get them into the quarters…

161. zags says:

CHING CHING CHING CHING = Cha CHING. Get better Ha-y-n Supahman!