Torres looking forward to downtime

Jose Francisco Torres 2 (Getty Images)

Jose Francisco Torres did not see a minute of playing time for the U.S. national team in the Confederations Cup, but that hasn't stopped him from looking forward to a vacation.

In an interview with yanks-abroad.com, the Pachuca midfielder stated that he wants to play in the Gold Cup (which starts July 3) but that his body is in need of rest after a year and a half of activity, which included the FIFA Club World Cup, Pachuca's Clausura season and World Cup qualifiers.

Torres, who has not played since the U.S. team's World Cup qualifier against Costa Rica on June 3, has also recently been linked with a move to Spanish club Deportivo la Coruna, but has stated that he intends to return to Mexico for the fall's Apertura season.

Still think Torres should have played in the Confederations Cup? Wish he was on the Gold Cup squad? Would you like to see him go to Deportivo la Coruna or should he stay with Pachuca?

Share your thoughts in the comments section below.

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

75 Responses to Torres looking forward to downtime

1. ChingAdore - Isaac says:

Smart of Bradley to not play him. That shows how important Bob thinks Jose is to this squad and what he could be for the future. I would rather him play at La Coruna, especially with the new ESPN deal, but if he’s assured playing time at Pachuca, I’d stay.

2. Brandon says:

There really was no reason for Bob to keep him off the Gold Cup. We’re using it to sure up our bench, and he seems to be a bench regular.

3. Mig says:

He gets lots of PT at Pachuca, at Deportivo, I’m not so sure. Better to be in La Liga, for sure…if you’re on the pitch. Same story for just about every US player out there, I suppose.

Cheers,

4. G says:

Torres should have been playing in place of Sacha through the cup. If Torres would have been in vs Brazil he probably wouldnt have gifted passes to Brazil leading to no chances in the final however many minutes he was in.

5. Jack K. - SBI MAFIA ORIGINAL says:

I think he should have been included in the Gold Cup roster, but then again these guys aren’t machines. I still believe we will not see Torres play under Bradley. It has become very obvious that Bradley has no confidence in him and by benching him he is making him work harder.

Can wait to see him play in 2011.

6. CACuzcatlan says:

Depor is becoming CONCACAF in Spain. Julian De Guzman, Andres Guardado, Omar Bravo (on loan to a Mexican team) and now possibly Torres.

7. Kung Fu Kangaroos says:

Something is amiss. Torres should have seen some playing time since the Costa Rica match. Have no clue why he’s in Bob’s doghouse. Wish there was someway to get quotes or info “off the record”. Some say he took the fall for Costa Rica … but I thought he was the best US player and was puzzled why Bob took him out. It is just strange that a player getting lots of playing time for one of the top teams in Mexico and is a potential La Liga target gets 0 playing time with the US team after Costa Rica.

8. Fred says:

Bradley totally should have played Torres in the Confeds Cup. What was he thinking putting in Bornstein as a left mid? That should have been Torres.

Also, Bradley is crazy for not including Torres in the Gold Cup roster. This could have been a chance for Torres to shine and show his chops for Euro clubs, in the same way Davies hopes to. Instead, Torres is heading back to Mexico, probably wondering what he did to piss Bradley off.

To me, Bradley’s failure to nurture Torres, like his failure to include exciting young European players in the Gold Cup squad (e.g. Whitbread), betrays a troublesome ongoing myopia. I give him some credit for the Confeds Cup, but I give most of the credit to the players, and I think a better coach would have gotten to this point a lot more quickly.

9. Berlin says:

Any firm story on why Torres didn’t play in the Confederations Cup. I’ve heard everything from he’s tired from the season (Bogus – Dempsey? Kaka? Everyone else that plays in Europe), he’s injured (possibly), Bradley has no confidence in him (odd that he’s confident in Klejstan & Beasley instead), and that he had a falling out with Donovan (?). What possible explanation could there be for not playing him?

10. goalscorer24 says:

Well I am glad it works out that he needs a rest, but what is the the deal? Is Bradley going to use him in the future? I think the game in Mexico in August will be telling. If he is not on the squad, then something is up. I hope he is not discouraged, he certainly deserves to play.

11. Seth says:

I do not think anything is amiss between Bradley and Torres. Personally, I feel he had some minor injury or tweak (from the packed club schedule) holding him back and Bradley was reluctant to throw him into the mix thinking long-term. The quote states that he is looking forward to a vacation, be it a short one.

Also, as we all know, the Gold Cup is the perfect opportunity for Bradley to try out some potential new US Nat pool talent. Bradley knows what Torres can do and I believe Torres may have declined a Gold Cup roster spot in order to recover and be ready for the upcoming qualifiers in a month. As he is well suited for the WC Qualifiers from playing in Mexico, he becomes that much more important with his speed and technical skills. Give Bradley some credit.

12. ChingAdore - Isaac says:

Bradley spends a lot of time with these guys in training so he knows whether or not some one is fatigued. Nobody here wants to have Torres playing if he’s not at full fitness; the risk of an injury is too great.

13. Jon says:

Berlin- I want to know too. There has to be something, because I don’t believe it’s all got to do with things “on the field.”

14. MVK says:

Fred- did you not read this before you posted? HES SPENT and needs a well deserved rest!

15. Nats says:

He should stay at Pachuca. They are a great club!

16. nico says:

I like Torres and was disappointed to see him on the bench…but Bradley did something right in getting to the final, so I can’t complain too much.

17. Josh says:

I don’t know why people assume that Torres’ lack of playing time MUST mean he’s in Bradley’s doghouse. Unless you have insider info, you’re just spreading rumors.

That said, let’s take what Torres says at face-value. I hope he gets some needed rest, and that his play in the coming year warrants more playing time for both Pachuca and the USMNT.

18. harry says:

Berlin, Kjlestan was over-rated from his Sweden “C” team performence……..and i was shocked when Bradley did not put in Adu and Torres at the 75th vs Brazil instead of BB’s personal favorites Kjlestan and Casey who do nothing but give the ball away. And its funny- Adu and Torres Hold the ball extremely well.

I hope Torres stays at Pachuca for one more season.

19. zongzap says:

I’m thinking that the Confed roster was already submitted when BB decided he didn’t like him anymore so he had to take him. The Gold Cup went in after the start of the Confed and he leaves him off. It will be interesting to see if BB ever calls him again.

He should have played of useless Sasha in the Confed

20. Vman says:

the only way Torres gets a real shot is if someone like Klejstan gets hurt. Spector got his chance because Hejduk and Cherundolo were hurt. Demerit got his chance because Bocanegra was hurt. Davies got his chance because Ching was hurt. Had it not been for those injuries, these talents would have never been able to shine on such a prominent stage. That speaks volumes about Bradley, and not in a good way.

21. ViscaB says:

Ok, heres BREAKING NEWS for you all!!!
    Mexico’s Edgar Castillo, who has played four or five times for the MNT, and who is a defender for Tigres de UANL, has said that if the USMNT or Bob Bradley where to call him HE WOULD CHANGE SHIRTS AND PLAY FOR LOS ESTADOS UNIDOS!!! EVEN IF AGUIRRE WHERE TO CALL AGAIN!!!

22. SuperChivo says:

This is such a crock, some journalist needs to point blank come out and ask Bob why Torres hasn’t played and why he was left off the team instead of getting crappy, enigmatic quotes like in that article.
    Every player occasionally has a bad match (or half a match) and if the reason truly is that Bob doesn’t think Paco is good enough than he should let us know. If not, put this crap to rest.

23. jtd says:

superchivo, spot on. why is it so difficult for a reporter to press bob bradley on this?

crack the stone!

24. jai_brooklyn says:

Could not agree more with you, Vman.

25. Jose A. V. says:

The boy needs playing time with the USMNT and Gold cup would have been a good opportunity. And moving to Deportivo makes perfect sense, hopefully they can make a deal.

26. Will says:

IMO, I think Torres should stay in Mexico. I don’t think he is quite ready to go to Spain and truly fight for minutes. He has shown steady improvement in Mexico and I think the competition there will help that continue. I kind of wish more of the US guys would look to Mexico. The money is good and it is a step up from MLS. I still remember Mike Sorber suiting up for PUMAS back in the day.

27. Al says:

Ives – A little off topic, but do you know what ever happened to Anton Peterlin? I’m surprised that he’s not given a chance at the Gold Cup.

28. Berlin says:

Superchivo, I’m with you. Ives, get it out for real.

29. TonyT says:

I would have liked to see him in the confederations cup, would like to definitely see him play in Spain, think about all the priceless experience he would get playing against the best player in the world.

30. Adam R. says:

FFS, he’s 21, he’ll have plenty of chances. Why would Bob include him on the Confederations Cup if he hated him so much.

Spazzes.

31. Leonardo says:

they say his feet taste like timbers in a crackling fire

32. Andrew says:

Didn’t Ives mention the other day that he had heard a rumor about a possible concussion sustained against Costa Rica? Regardless, he’s clearly in the picture. Torres is young and there is no use burning him out.

33. kofi_x5 says:

I want to know what happened after Paco got subbed out of Costa Rica. He was playing his ass off out there. He earned a ticket to Confed thats all great but what did Sacha do to earn his ticket? And was he really too tired to beat Sacha for the ‘sub’ spot or is there something else?

I don’t think many of us believe that Sacha wins the spot in practice or based on what we see on the field.

There is a story here and the fans wanna know.

34. Leonardo says:

Sacha < Torres

35. Hard to say says:

He’s got a pretty decent gig at Pachuca, hate to see something like Jozy’s situation unfold for him in Spain. If he played, it would be a good move though.

36. Tolik says:

There is a story here and the fans wanna know.

Posted by: kofi_x5 | June 30, 2009 at 06:36 PM

==============================

I second that motion. Something is not adding up.

Reading reports from the cup (Ives, Wahl, Goff) and soccer discussions on this board and others – its hard not to notice that minus a few eager fools, the level of discussion, interest in the game and knowledge of the game is quite high.

Another sign of progress.

The next one should be for journalists to pressure coaches and managers to give better answers. Correct me if I am wrong, I don’t believe an English manager would be able to get away with keeping the whole Torres story a mystery for so long.

What the heck happened? Ives, did anybody ask the question straight up? Thanks.

37. Luke in NC says:

I will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever understand why he was on the bench every time Kljestan was on the pitch.

I do hope Kljestan gets his game improved and become a part of the team if so, so i’m not a “Sacha hater” as folks like to say, but holy crap that was rediculous. You cant help but wonder what could’ve been with Torres on instead of Kljestan or Beasley….

38. Angel says:

“Bradley spends a lot of time with these guys in training so he knows whether or not some one is fatigued.”

Posted by: ChingAdore – Isaac | June 30, 2009 at 04:24 PM

Jajajaja You are making me laught if Bob Bradley knows his player who is fatigued and are not in shape to play so why the F**k he put Beasley and Klejstan. Please we all know there is something going on between BB, Donavon and Torres. Or else why he didn’t answer when Bob was ask what happen with Torres in the Costa Rica game, all he said was no comment that stay in the Locker room. So thats the Key “Stay in the locker room” so that means something bad happen. Plus I don’t blame him if he doesn’t want to play any more for the USA. Why have took him to the Confederation Cup if you were not going to used him and now he wants him on the Gold Cup. Must as well should off left him behind let him had his vacation and then call him up for the Gold Cup since he thought that Torres wasn’t ready for the big stage

39. wally says:

I agree with many above, there is a story here. Why hasn’t Torres had a sniff of PT since Costa Rica??? Someone associated with the NATS, whether it be a player or staff member, knows the true and sordid tale..

Come on Ives, work your magic!!! Break the story!! Go through Bob Bradley’s trash if you need to. This is your watergate..

40. madmax says:

Sounds like a smart chap to me. Coach Bradley was very vulnerable on his selections and substitutions yet Gringo Torres didn’t attack him. Hope he gets a spot in Spain, terrific talent.

41. Isaac says:

Posted by: Angel | June 30, 2009 at 07:24 PM

I can agree that there might be something going on beyond what we see on the pitch/bench and his quotes, but I neither Sacha or Beasley were tired; they just weren’t effective. Like Ives has said before, we don’t have the best depth in the squad in the moment. As much as we hate to admit it, Kljestan, Bornstein, and Casey are the best we can do at the moment in terms of subs off the bench. (NO Freddy Adu is not a better option)

42. Len says:

Tell Torres to get the sand out of his vadge..

43. Isaac says:

To add to my point above,what if it is something that has gone on in the locker room? Is that to assume that Bob Bradley is the main cause of the conflict that may have happened at some point? Maybe Torres is responsible or partially responsible for the incident. It’s ridiculous that people think that everything that goes wrong or may have gone wrong on the MNT is Bob Bradley’s fault or could have been stopped by Bradley.

44. Alex G says:

Torres is way better than Sacha and he should see some playing time, go Torres

45. Angel says:

Jose A, Berlin & Superchivo

If you go to other Blog from Ives, You’ll see my post respond, I been crying out loud asking for any reporter with Huevos(Balls)to be firm with Bradley. I’m tried that our reporter only as dumb question. Instead of asking why you didn’t play this guy, why you didn’t make a sub for this guy. Why are you always give the second half away, ask question about his tactics and be more aggrassive like the way the media is in other country that love soccer, Brasil, Argentina, Germany, England or even France, Like Central America or our neighbor Mexico. See what happen when we all send all those messages to the USSF and Gulati took some notice. Well we raise our voice and the changes can in and what happen he played two and half games like an elite team. But then Mr. Bob Bradley went to his old ways putting Sasha and Bornstein and Casey in. Hey at least Bornstein played his heart out. SO WE NEED REPORTER TO GET INTO BOB BRADLEY SKIN AND ASK THE TUFT QUESTION. AND WHY ADU AND TORRES WERE ON THE BENCH. JUST GIVE US AN ANSWER SO WE CAN STOP THIS ESQUESTION.

46. Paul says:

Ives, i will add my voice to those of others who want to know why Klejstan kept getting picked over Torres in South Africa. The second half of the final cried out for someone with his skills. When Klejstan came on I pretty much lost hope — and patience.

47. Angel says:

WELL THE ONLY WAY TO FIND OUT WHAT REALLY HAPPEN TO TORRES IN THE COSTA RICA IS TO SEND MESSAGES TO THE USSF AND ASK MR. SUNIL GULATI AND MAY HE HAS THE BALL AN GET ANSWER FROM MR. BOB BRADLEY AND DONOVAN HIMSELF. I GOING KEEP SENDING SOME TEXT TO SOME MEXICAN REPORTER TO ASK TORRES HIMSELF WHY HE WAS ON THE BENCH AND WHAT HAPPEN IN COSTA RICA.

SO EVERYBODY LET WRITE E-MAILS TO THE USSF.

48. EA says:

I want to know why John Thorrington hasn’t played!!! He played in two qualifiers this cycle AND against Sweden at the beginning of the year and then BOOM! He disappeared from the lineup.

I want to know what John Thorrington did to deserve this treatment from Bob Bradley! Do your job, Ives!

He is clearly in Bradley’s doghouse, for some sinister reason that we all don’t know about.

Torres wouldn’t have gone to South Africa if Bob didn’t want him to be a part of the team, you boobs. You internet folk can be a bunch of drama queens.

49. Len says:

I will not rest till I get straight answer from Bradley about Torres. Me wonder, it must be conspiracy among the US crackers coaches, no? I also heard same people who kept Torres down also killed all Indians.

50. ELAC says:

Algo huele a pescado.

51. Angel says:

Hey ELAC que crees de estos pendejos no saben ni mierda de futball y quieren ponerse al tiro, pobre idiotas. y que piensa de Castillo que quiere venir a jugar con USA para que lo dejen en la banca como a Torres, Orozco y Alvarez y de voladas al ADU tambien.

52. Korey Sutton says:

Torres is one of the us players that needs to stay with their club. After the world cup they can move all they want, but right now they need playing time. Moving to a new league means that you will need time to adapt. This could be months or a year and if you want to play on the world stage you need to be playing every week.

53. Jack K. - SBI MAFIA ORIGINAL says:

If something did happen between the three mentioned above, Torres has been handling with class. Unlike the other Gringo, Mr. Castillo.

54. Angel says:

I’m with you Korey Sutton,

Torres need to stay with his team until the World Cup, he need playing time to keep in shape and get more experience and maybe get another call up.

55. Adam R. says:

Maybe if Torres hadn’t pissed the bed in the first 15 minutes against CR, Bradley would trust him in a big game.

I like the kid. He’s young, he’ll get his chances. Chill.

56. Tony says:

He needs to get some time on the field with the boys and the Gold Cup would have been perfect. Whatever happened between Torres and Bradley needs to get sorted. If there’s one thing the US doesn’t need right now is wasting what little talent we have on the depth chart. Same reason why people have been screaming for Cooper to get time. Its not so much that people think he is some savior, its that if he never plays with the squad, we’ll never find out.

57. Jackie says:

Big Mistake by Torres. He should have stuck with Mexico . Bob doesn’s like him.

58. chg says:

USL went 4-2 against MLS tonight. After the smoke cleared, DC United is left with a clear path to the finals.

59. arkjayback says:

Confederations Cup highlights: link to youtube.com

I actually like this video just as much as the “Instant Classic” video.

60. Elliott says:

In a World Cup year you just want to be getting consistent games – that is the key, whether its with Pachuca or Deportivo

61. EA Scott says:

Put me on the list of people who think there is something more to this story. Although he had a few bad minutes against Costa Rica, so did Mastroeni and Beasley, didn’t stop them from getting playing time. After he settled down, me, John Harkes, and a lot of others thought he was our best player in the midfield, calm, holding the ball, passing well, etc.

Then subbed at half time and never played again. I can maybe understand not wanting to put him in high pressure games in the Confederations cup, but then why bring him?

And to not call him to the gold cup?

The article above states “Jose Francisco Torres believes it is a blessing in disguise”. Doesn’t sound like he chose not go to the Gold cup…

62. ThaDeuce says:

Sounds like Torres chose to not play for the Gold Cup…which could hurt his chances to play for the USMNT… He chose vacation over winning a spot as a starter/ super sub.. aye yay yay

63. joel says:

he should be in the mix without a doubt, there is no doubt on that but
    I see Bradley, Benny, Clark, Edu, in front of him. Those are the guys that coach Bradley will go with and its a shame because he brings certain things to the pitch that the others dont have. What I dont understand is how Sasha K. gets games when time and time he cant complete a pass, this is a mystery.

64. christian Navarro says:

So some of you know angel mentioned that a lot of you guys are idiots for posting some of the things that you have posted because we as Mexicans know more soccer than a lot of you guys. It is sad that Edgar Castillo wants to play for the U.S. since it is obvious that Bradley is a racist bastard. At least some prejudice is in him. Since the best talent is from the American Mexicans. People your thoughts on this…… oh and angel S. Gulati does respond to emails since I wrote him a nasty one about bob’s head!

65. Angel says:

Chistian Navarro,
    Thanks for letting me know that Sunil Gulati does repond to the e-mail I will write to him, Now I never did mentioned a lots of guys cause that mean everyone here, I only said some of of the guys especially the comments posted by AE & Len. I just don’t want everybody here to send me hate mail. Everyone here are in the same boat, and that is why happen in Costa Rica with El Gringo “Jose F. Torres” we all are puzzle on what really happen and why he never saw the field in the Confederation Cup. But I agree about the other comment you made “It is sad that Edgar Castillo wants to play for the U.S. since it is obvious that Bradley has a Favoritism bastard. At least some prejudice is in him. Since the best talent is from the American Mexicans.”

66. Angel says:

P.S Cristian

please read the post from AE & Len, are posted above the one I made in spanish to ELAC. I should be more especific about it. but I refer to them only.

67. primoone says:

Angel= Gran MAMON

68. christian Navarro says:

Angel why do you call The American Mexican Gingos? No seas ojete way. What I am getting from that is that you are hating on them cause they play for the USA. if you don’t mean it like that then i apologize for the comment above. GO USA I hate mexico and if loving my country makes me a gringo then so be it I am a gringo que sabe respetar al gobierno que me dio educacion y la vida que vivo so yeah!

69. christian Navarro says:

oh ok sorry buey spelling

70. Jamie Marsh says:

Torres was one of the few bright spots in the loss against Costa Rica. I don’t understand why has not seen more time.

71. Youngee8 says:

Let’s all start calling USSF kinda like we do with our Congress? Enough pressure will get the real answer through a press conference about Torres.

1 If he was hurt or overplayed Torres could have been replaced but wasn’t.

2 What about Dempsey and his past getting physically violent up in Boston yet he’s still playing. Stuff happens in the locker room out of passion

3. Regardless, answers need to be met.

On another topic if another player leaves PT in the US or Mexico clubs for Europe just to sit on the bench I think we’re all going to call them a DumbA_S!

72. t says:

bradley is an idiot and needs to be fired.

torres should have played

sacha beasley and bornstein are awful.

73. Beto says:

I think that Torres must move to some team in the MLS , now He is gringo , reason why we don´t want gringos players in Apertura & Clausura FMF … go away Torres!!!! , … Castillo and Torres both traitors and f@ggys hahaha

74. christian Navarro says:

Y si no te gusta chinga tu madre

75. christian Navarro says:

beto eresw un pendejo nomas tienes ela pansa en los estados unidos y el corazon en tu pinche pais vale verga de mexico. debes de irte para tras you are the traitor. Mr. food stamp abusing, govt. hand out taking mojo. GOD BLESS THE USA