SuperLiga 2009 set to kick off

2008_012

The third annual SuperLiga Tournament is set to kick off this weekend and what was once a tournament with so much promise has turned into a bit of an afterthought that isn't getting much in the way of attention.

Some of the best teams in MLS and the Mexican First Division are set to do battle in a tournament that has provided some entertaining, as well as feisty, matches. The tournament has its flaws of course, from Mexican teams that are out of season to MLS teams that aren't exactly enthusiastic about competing in the event, but somewhere along the way we still wind up with some pretty good games.

Here is the question for you, MLS fans. Do you still care about SuperLiga? Is your team competing in it, and if so, are you interested?

If so, here is the upcoming schedule of SuperLiga matches:

(All times Eastern)

SATURDAY

San Luis at Chicago Fire, 8pm (at Toyota Park)

Tigres UNAL at Chivas USA, 10pm (at Home Depot Center)

SUNDAY

Atlas at Kansas City Wizards, 4:30pm (at Hermann Stadium, St. Louis)

Santos Laguna at New England Revolution, 6:30pm (Gillette Stadium)

TUESDAY

Chivas USA at Chicago Fire, 8pm (Toyota Park)

San Luis vs. Tigres, 10pm (Toyota Park)

All SuperLiga matches can be seen live on the SuperLiga website.

So what do you think of this year's tournament? Wish Pachuca was in it again? Concerned about the toll that extra matches will take on your MLS team? Don't care about the negatives and just hoping your team can win the trophy?

This entry was posted in Major League Soccer, Mexican Soccer. Bookmark the permalink.

67 Responses to SuperLiga 2009 set to kick off

1. Colin says:

I’d rather see the attention being placed on the CONCACAF Champions League, but the 07 tournament (including that sick shot by Beckham against DC United and the shootout final between LA and Pachuca) was pretty great.

Hopefully with the FMF turning their backs on South America, this tourney will get some more notice.

2. Russ says:

I can’t remember– did these games get proper TV coverage last year?

3. understood says:

who cares?

4. jim b says:

I’m a pissed off KC fan. Our ‘home’ games is 300 miles away and on the other side of the state. What BS!!

5. NJRB Fan says:

Agree with Colin. Put more emphasis on the CONCACAF CL rather than these glorified friendlies that don’t even pit the best of the two leagues, but rather the second tier teams against each other. Yawn.

6. CSD says:

I like Super Liga and I am looking forward to it. Every year there has been some good games in this tournament. Nice to see more MLS teams able to get into an international tournament. It should be an interesting blogging point next week depending how good St Louis does as a host.

7. EdTheRed says:

In order for me to “still” care, I would’ve had to have cared in the first place. Thank god DC don’t have to take part in this year’s cash grab.

8. Strider says:

I’m confused. How can there be 2 matches both at 8 p.m. at Toyota Park on Tuesday?

9. Will says:

I know the players only get a small portion of the million dollar prize. Does any one know what prize money is awarded to the players for the concacaf champions league? I haven’t been able to find it.

10. KCB says:

I’m not a pissed of KC fan, though having the game in St. Louis is a pretty weak call, whatever we’ll deal with it. Since the FMF clubs don’t sound to serious about this I wouldn’t mind seeing MLS sides put out an almost starting XI and crush them (if that’s possible). Maybe they’ll take it seriously after a complete embarrassment in from of their North of the Border fans.

11. Terry says:

It could be a nice tournament if the players and teams had some incentives. As far as I know, the players get a tiny amount of the winning prize money and the league gets the rest. The league’s should just take their share of gate reciepts and let the winning players keep the whole 1 million (I think 1 million). Now the players would really have something to play for.

12. John Glosson says:

I don’t have a dog in this fight this year and for that I am grateful. The only way I was able to watch DC last year was on the website and the video quality was horrible and all the commentary was in Spanish. I don’t speak or understand Spanish. I’m not sure why they can’t have English and Spanish feeds for every MLS match. It only makes sense, but I digress.
    I couldn’t give a fat rat’s ass about the Super Liga.

13. Dave Clark says:

It is a good to have another international tourney, they play another one in Europe, even better though is that if fixture congestion actually matters having things like the CCL and SL help increase league parity a bit.

The second tier clubs in MLS competing for the Sheild and Cup have the opportunity to make a run, particularly those that just misseed the playoffs last season.

14. Isaac says:

I like this tournament very much and yes Chivas is in it so I’m interested a hell of a lot more….

15. RK says:

zzzzzzzz

So glad DCU doesn’t have to waste time on this.

16. Tony in Quakeland says:

The attitude here is a shame – Superliga games have been among the most entertaining involving MLS teams over the last couple years. The deserve more exposure.

17. John Glosson says:

If the games were going to be aired on a channel I have and in English, I might have more interest. I’m all for Spanish commentary for all MLS games, but they should all be available in English as well. As far as I know these games will only be on telefutura and ONLY in Spanish even if you watch the online feed.

18. BellusLudas says:

I would like to see top 4 MLS and FMF go to CONCACAF Champions League and the next four to SuperLiga.

19. Jason says:

This is just a made up tourney for $$.

Mexican teams decline to participate.

MLS should get rid of it and save the two weeks of scheduling in an effort to have more international match days off.

20. HIncha Tim says:

I would like to see all the Mexican First Division Clubs and MLS clubs have interleague games that count towards their regular season (sort of like baseball’s interleague play).

21. Steve says:

Mexico vs. US on any level usually makes for interesting games, and these games should be fun to watch, and still expand the brand recognition between the two countries. That said, this is clearly a second-tier competition.

22. smits says:

I’m with Tony on this one… this tournment has delivered entertaining games even if they are minor in importance. That aside no matter what you think of the tournament you have to admit they have one of the coolest trophies around.

23. Frank says:

I’d like to see 18 MLS teams compete in a league that isn’t a complete joke. Relegation/promotion would be nice. An even schedule would be awesome.

Superliga doesn’t mean anything to me. It might make sense in Texas or other areas heavily populated by Mexicans, but I just don’t care (kind of like ESPN cares about MLS).

24. CrispyST3 says:

I got a question if u guys can answer

sooo, CCL is like the Uefa Champions league right? but for us

so is the Superliga like the Uefa Cup?

and the US Open Cup is like the English League Cup, Copa Del Rey etc?

25. gj says:

stop complaining, if you are a fan of the game just shut up and watch.

26. Rossi is Judas says:

It’s ok, but with the Concacaf Champions League now a reality, it doesn’t really matter.

If MLS teams could afford to have any type of depth on their rosters, then it would be a much more interesting tournament.

27. SR says:

It’s a great idea on paper but everything’s a little more…uhm…complicated for MLS. Our schedule isn’t geared to have competitions against foreign leagues. Every time we schedule a competitive match or tourney, it’s always seen as a friendly to foreign clubs.

I actually like this tournament, yeah, it’s got its setbacks, especially low attendances, but I enjoy watching matches. It is a stepping stone to bigger things in the future. Hopefully the cocacaf ccl one day gets very big…and MLS steps up to that level.

28. SonicDeathMonkey says:

I’ve liked Superliga since its inception. Most of the games have been highly competitive and exciting, and although some may say the Mexican teams don’t take it seriously, that all seems to change whenever they start to get beat by the MLS teams. (Atlante anyone?) This year it does seem to have a bit less buzz, and thats a shame. My question is, with next year being a World Cup year, will they even bother having Superliga? My guess would be no, since the WC will be taking place at the same time.

29. RK says:

Superliga — it’s a preseason tournament for Mexican teams to get in shape and for the leagues to make money.

The CONCACAF Champions League exists now — that’s the important tournament. And that’s why the best MLS teams are in that one.

30. RSLfan says:

As a general fan of MLS I have cared more and more as each SuperLiga has gone on, which I guess is good. However, I barely cared the first year and I now care slightly. It does have some pretty interesting game and I will be at least tuning into the final because they have been epic and the reason I have started to care a little more.

31. Robert says:

Pointless tourney unless it provides some sort of international play incentive. How about the top two qualify for the Sudamericana?

32. MVK says:

I like it, it a chance to see your team against someone different and you see some different apporaches to the game.

Seems with the NATS laying stinky steamers lately everyone is negitive about everything. Get over it.

Reports are that Atlas is bringing a bunch of youth players

33. Joe Quake says:

It was cool the first year, but now with CCL, I don’t care about this tournament and probably won’t watch.

34. MVK says:

I do understand soccer fans with no team involved have no real intrest in this though, I doubt I will watch much more than the finals outside of the games my team plays in.

35. socmin says:

I have always enjoyed it and am looking forward to seeing some different teams play. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. I’m not sure how this has anything to do with the pipe dreams of some for promotion/relegation.

36. Jason says:

Uefa Champions League = Concacaf Champions League

Uefa Cup (Europa Cup) = SuperLiga

37. zongzap says:

The prevailing attitude in New England is Who Cares? Many are predicting that the Revolution will not play key players and that it’s a good time to roll out people that aren’t getting many minutes. If we draw 6000 that would be a lot

38. Al says:

The only thing I’m looking forward to is how Orozco plays in this tournament.

39. BK says:

No. I do not care about SuperLiga and if my team, DC United, had the choice between playing there or doing nothing, I would want them to do nothing and instead focus on the league. Until MLS starts honoring international dates, decongesting the summer schedule for these teams and re-instating a decent reserve league, I see no value in overburdening our guys.

40. Chris says:

The less tournaments my team is in the better. All the extra games killed DCU last year. MLS teams don’t have the bench to survive these tournaments AND mls competition.

41. beckster says:

Thank god DCU isn’t in it this year. All those games and tournaments killed them last year.

Snooze……………

42. Dave Clark says:

For those that claim that there isn’t the bench depth for MLS teams, Man U played their 24th man how many minutes in their nearly 60 matches in the last 52 weeks?

Quit making excuses, the best team in MLS will play fewer matches in as long a period of time as the top Euro clubs, and neither side will use more than 20 guys.

43. Kevin says:

Dave Clark:

That is quite a laughable comment. Man U is one of, if not the, best teams in the world. It has 24 quality players at its disposable.

Your average MLS squad? Meh. Maybe 10-12 good players, if you’re lucky. Man U can play in 12 different tournaments and win them all, not because of numerical depth but because of the quality of their players. MLS has rosters of 24, yes, but most of them are really USL-2 level players.

44. kilmier says:

Ives, I don’t see have you can call these “some of the best Mexican teams”. These are basically bottom half the table teams, least recently. This is how they finished overall last season in the 18 team league:

Santos Laguna – 9th
    Atlas – 13th
    San Luis – 15th
    UNAL Tigres – 16th

45. timpramas says:

I understand the criticism of SuperLiga, but the games are a lot of fun to watch and very entertaining. Isn’t that ultimately the point, to be entertained? I am a Revs fan and really enjoyed it last year and hope the team does well this year.

46. Will says:

happy dc is not in it. lose this tourney and put more emphasis on concacaf champions league

47. Dave Clark says:

Kevin, MLS is playing in competitions with teams that are generally of the same quality. They aren’t using their depth, and so the MLS fans that whine about it are just showing that they don’t pay attention to the sport around the world.

ManUs stars get tired and they use a bench, but not a big one. MLS teams get tired and they use their bench. I doubt there is any evidence whatsoever that MLS benches aren’t as deep in talent as the PR Islanders, or the 3rd team from Honduras or the 16th in the FMF.

Again, if fixture congestion isn’t a myth than the MLS teams in SuperLiga and the CCL won’t make the playoffs.

48. Devon says:

it’s stupid. our tiny MLS rosters are not made for this needless fixture congestion.

now IF there was money to be made on it, and IF those MLS teams could SPEND the money to improve their squad (on salaries), THEN it might make sense.

49. Kevin says:

I’m a Chicago fan and I’m pumped that we are finally in it (although I would’ve preferred CCL). Nice to have so many MLS teams getting to play in an international tournament one way or the other – I think they should keep it up long term as a sort of UEFA Cup / Europa league below the Champion’s League.

50. MensreaJim says:

I look forward to it–the LA-Pachuca final in 07 was one of my favorite disnterested games.

51. JOHN says:

The SuperLiga was a great idea, but then

CONCACAF re structured their tournament to the new champions league.

The CCL should be the priority and MLS shouls look to end the Superliga. I’m sure the Mexican teams would agree.

52. Kevin says:

I have no interest in the SuperLiga.

53. JCC says:

Posted by: Colin | June 19, 2009 at 01:08 PM

FMF and CONMEBOL kissed and made up a few weeks ago. So no.

54. Never First says:

To whoever said this is a “made up” tournament, all tournaments are made up!

I think MLS actually learned from their mistakes amazingly and is handling the tournament much better this year. Last year, teams had to compete in SuperLiga and CONCACAF Champions League (and the champions cup) and just about killed themselves. Why do you think the table was turned upside down last year? This year, teams only play one tournament (2 if you consider the US Open Cup). Finally, MLS is doing something right this year.

This could be like our version of the UEFA Cup for teams that don’t reach the champions league.

55. Barry Jive and His Uptown Five says:

Since I’m a Fire supporter and my two best “soccer friends” are Mexican-American I look forward to Superliga.

We’ve worked out a betting system over the years where I always take the USMNT, MLS and any Concacaf opponent of El Tri and they take El Tri, FMF and whomever the Red, White and Blue draw. I’ve taken it on the nose with the USMNT at the Confed but I look to make it up with a strong Superliga and Gold Cup.

Btw, (Colin) I’m fairly certain Mexico and Conmebol are “back together” and Mexican clubs will return to Libertadores next year. And (BellusLudas) the top four clubs not in the CCL do go to Superliga.

For all y’all who think your soccer sensibility is too pure to get wit’ Superliga…get over yourself already.

56. RLW2020 says:

as a player its good.
    as a fan, i don’t plan on going.

57. madmax says:

Here is the question for you, MLS fans. Do you still care about SuperLiga?

No, and I don’t care who is playing. The post game comments /excuses about teams and their leagues are repetitively asinine.

I believe L. Bueno at SI makes a big deal about these matches when Mexico wins and excuses when they lose.

58. Bootsy says:

I never much cared about StupidLiga. When we were in it, I cared on matchday, because I always want my team to win and don’t like it when they lose. But on the hierarchy of interest level, it was at the bottom, and I’m glad DC isn’t in it this year.

Someone earlier said “all tournaments are made up”; you’re right, of course, but this is far more contrived than most. There already existed a competition between the best teams in both countries (as well as other CONCACAF nations), so this was just a naked money grab (for the *League* — the players don’t get anything significant for winning) from the very start. Now that the CCC changed to the CCL, StupidLiga is even more pointless. To reduce fixture congestion, they’ve agreed to offer bids to teams that didn’t make it into CCL; but that just means lower-tier teams now compete in the “Super” Liga now.

So it’s basically a bunch of friendlies, to be compared with the Carolina Challenge Cup and the summer visits from English Premier League teams. Maybe some of the matches will turn out to be entertaining. Maybe. But there’s not much more to this than that.

59. Rageman says:

I’m also glad that DC isn’t in it this year so their whiny fans can have something else to complain about. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Ticketmaster in the DC area should distribute Pampers with each DC United ticket purchase.

Great tournament because there are always competitive matches and that’s why I watch soccer, to see competition and to watch different styles of soccer clash on the pitch.

60. Richard says:

Eh, the CCL is equally contrived, in my eyes. Just because it has Jack Warner’s blessing and strokes his ego doesn’t make it a legitimate competition. BTW, MLS players actually get less for winning the CCL than Superliga.

61. Bootsy says:

Richard — CCL win books a ticket to Tokyo (or Dubai or wherever the CWC is being held); that alone distinguishes it from StupidLiga.

Rageman — last season, including all competitions both teams were in, DCU played matches at a higher frequency than Manchester United did, with the typical much smaller/less deep MLS roster. You think being frustrated about meaningless competitions like SL is whining? Whatever, man. I’m betting you’re a fan of a team that never has enough success to have to deal with a busy schedule.

62. Mike Toole says:

Can’t wait for it to start. I watched every game of the 07 and 08 tournaments, and was delighted to see the Revs win last year. The level of play in this tournament is much, much higher than the CONCACAF Champions League. Folks can go on about how much more important the CCL is, but the fact is that the competition was won by one of the worst teams in the Mexican first division, playing one of the ugliest, least entertaining matches I’ve ever watched. Every SuperLiga game, with only a few exceptions (Revs-Chivas USA last year) has been entertaining.

I’ll be there on Sunday to heckle Oswaldo Sanchez!

63. Jammer says:

It’s nice having Mexican teams up here for something different to watch. The tournament format takes a lot of time. I’m not interested in watching KC play New England when it doesn’t count for the league standings. I like Hincha Tim’s idea for interleague games that count. Barring that, perhaps just a week or two of interleague exhibition games? A lot more teams could be involved on both sides. It wouldn’t affect the teams’ schedules so disproportionately and more fans get to see their teams play (and more tickets sold). You could have an aggregate score MLS vs FMF who wins? FMF teams might actually want to win that. Its more interesting as a comparison of the leagues than as an arbiter of the Champion of North America Not Counting the Eight Best Teams.

64. Pumas Fan says:

MORE professional soccer to watch on TV is always a good thing. TRUE fans of the beautiful game know this. The rest of you whiners can stay up late to watch some classic “sport” like poker or the cheerleading championships on ESPN.

65. Tony in Quakeland says:

Pumas Fan: Ditto, brother, ditto.

The games are fun – what more does anyone need. As some above complaining about the broadcasts being in Spanish – again, who cares? There are many times I wish Harkes was speaking a language I didn’t understand…

66. madmax says:

Everytime SuperLiga comes around we get this incredible BS from Luis Bueno at SI. Here he begins by saying Mexico doesn’t care about Superliga, but at least they do well in tournaments, “Mexico might be struggling, with four managers since March ’08 and possibly not even reaching the World Cup in South Africa next summer. And let’s be fair: El Tri’s days of dominating the region are long over. But at least Mexico shows up in tournaments. And that’s a gigantic accomplishment.”

Mexico didn’t qualify for Con Feds cup, Olympics, U-20 WC. Oh that’s right Luis, they weren’t trying. You are pathetic, mate.