Report: Edgar Castillo “would play for the United States”

Edgar Castillo (ISIphotos.com)

Photo by ISIphotos.com

Edgar Castillo has apparently changed his mind.

Two years after saying he wouldn't play for the United States even if called, the American-born defender is open to the idea of playing for the U.S. national team despite having already appeared for the Mexican national team.

In an interview with USSoccerplayers.com, Castillo stated that he "would play" for the U.S. national team and ready to use the new FIFA rule that allows players to switch national teams at any age as long as they haven't played in official competitions.

We touched on this possibility two weeks ago, laying out the details of Castillo's status and the potential for him to change his mind. As a speedy and skillful left back, Castillo could provide some much-needed depth to one of the weaker positions in the U.S. national team pool.

What do you think of this development? Are you open to having him join the U.S. national team? Think he is just an opportunist who doesn't care about the U.S. national team? Think he can get some playing time for the U.S. team? Happy to see a trend of players choosing the United States over other countries?

This entry was posted in Mexican Soccer, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

148 Responses to Report: Edgar Castillo “would play for the United States”

1. SayervilleFC says:

Make the call Sunil. Or Bob. Or Both.

2. inkedAG says:

I wonder what changed his mind

3. Adam T says:

plz make the call… we need him

4. scott47a says:

no problem with bringing him in.
    make him earn the spot, same as anyone else, but the more the merrier. we need more talent.

5. RSLinIDAHO says:

We have 3 better options as far as i’m concerned. That said, i’d still take him in the player pool.

6. Katatonia says:

sub him in 90+ so hes cap tied for life then never call him again.

7. Onoda says:

Mexico will hate us even more.
    Let’s do itttt!

8. Steve says:

I have more respect for those players who stay committed to play for one national team (i.e. Rossi). That being said, it’s everyone’s perogative to change their mind (players and fans) and the current FIFA laws allow it. We’ll see if he’s good enough for the USMNT us as it seems he’s not for Mexico

9. Ohhh, so now that we took 2nd in the confederartions cup and mexico isn’t so hot you want to suddenly play for the U.S.

10. EDB says:

my thoughts exactly beautiful.. seems awful convenient that now that the US has established they are the concacaf top dog that he wants to play for us

11. STX81 says:

Bring him into the squad but he has to earn a roster spot like every else not named Adu!

12. green says:

Maybe he should talk to his buddy Panchito Torres first.

13. Even said, i would still take him. Just think the change of heart is kind of funny. Here is a situation involving a kid making a young dumb comment. I’m over it, but are his potential teammates? Even if not the depth and competition for spots is a good thing.

14. Rastafari says:

If it ultimately adds depth to the bench.

15. Heffe says:

Katatonia…
    That is classic!

16. Kevin says:

Can anyone else say double agent? NO THANKS, EDGAR.

17. BossTweed says:

I’m not sure why we are constantly talking about Castillo. Correct me if I’m wrong, but this guy isn’t exactly lighting it up. If he can’t even get a call up for Mexico, I’m not sure how much he would help us. Depth is nice, though.

18. Barry U says:

If he can help yes. He was born in the US. Mexico called him up and he took it. But now things change. Give the guy a shot. If Rossi wasn’t in the Italy team but tearing up the club circuit we would take him. Same thing here.

19. Frank says:

He wants to switch because Mexico has better players at that position and Aguirre does not rate him good. It has nothing to do how the fack the US played in the Confed Cup. And about this top dog thing I agree for now but let’s wait until August 12th to confirm.

20. BFBS says:

Somehow I suspect that USSF made the call the moment they heard of this. Which is the exactly right thing to do. If he comes in off the bench to help out on the left wing at the Azteca, I’ll crack a smile.

21. Sancho says:

Other than the fact he chose to play for Mexico I don’t know a lot about this guy. Is he getting quality minutes for his pro team? Is he someone the US has said they regret got away? What’s the word on this guy?

22. chris says:

Possible 23 for South Africa 2010:
    GK: Howard, Guzan, Robles
    Defenders: Boca, Gooch, Spector, Cherundolo, Demerit, Castillo, Hejduk
    Mid: Jones, Edu, Bradley, Clark, Torres, Feilhaber, Donovan, Adu
    Forwards: Altidore, Davies, Ching, Dempsey, Cooper or Casey

23. patriot71 says:

Given the severe lack of depth that we have at this position, call the guy!

24. ag nigrin says:

If he can help and have good chemistry with the USMNT then yes….what do we have to lose. Cal him up for the Gold Cup pronto!

BTW I also heard Rossi has regretted playing for Italy and wishes he didn’t make such a dumb move playing for the Azzuri!:)

25. Smacking says:

I have to say this new rule is bunk. It’s ridiculous that a guy can play for a senior national team and then switch to another. I welcome talent and competition to our squad, but this just feels dirty. And that goes for Jones too.

26. Brett says:

Yeah, he’s getting no attention from Aguirre and wasn’t on Sven’s radar either. I’m not surprised he’s feeling the impending sense that he won’t get to play in the World Cup with Mexico.

I say call him in, cap him, and worry about whether or not he is a long term solution later. It’d be cruel from his point of view, but the more chances we get to weaken the Mexican pool the better.

27. barber says:

Spector&Dolo at right
    Gooch, Boca, Demerit in the Center
    Castillo & Boca at left?

Not bad for depth for defense.

Frankie might not even make the WC roster with everyone healthy

28. Dave says:

Please take him. He’s quality. I don’t care that he hated on us earlier. He probably took a moment to think about where our program is headed, and realized that it was in his best interests to be a part of it. This guys is wayyyy better than our other options at that position (besides Bocanegra of course).

29. Tony in Quakeland says:

As I always say on these threads…cap them all and let god (or Bob Bradley) sort it out.

Cap anyone reasonable we can. Then worry if we need him.

30. Turtle says:

“They have a lot of good players. I don’t think I’d come in and be handed anything. But I’d like a chance to compete”

If he comes with that attitude then great. bring him in and give him a shot.

31. Scott in Houston says:

One of the more important lessons of the Confed Cup was that we need depth. For example, Brazil brought Dani Alves off the bench, we brought Bornstein and Klejstan. I like Bornstein a lot, but while he’s a pretty good MLS player, Alves is world class.

I’d love to have players like Castillo adding to the depth and pushing for starting spots. If Beasley and Bornstein are our options at left wing or left back, then I think there’s certainly room for Castillo.

Another thing we learned is that Bob Bradley doesn’t seem to hold grudges — with the possible exception of Torres, whose situation I simply don’t understand. But Torres’s case aside, Coach didn’t punish Rico Clark or Klejstan for their red cards. As soon as Clark was off suspension, he was back in the starting lineup, where he belonged.

32. Charlie Fiction says:

He’s great going forward — pretty mediocre on defense. But I think he’d be a very useful LB against certain teams; especially CONCACAF teams that like to bunker against us.

33. Felix says:

Of course he’s being an opportunist, but he was born here and actually speaks English, two things we can’t say for Jermaine Jones.

But either way, whether its Jones or Castillo or anyone else – if they put on the Red White & Blue, and play hard for the shirt, then I’ll accept them.

34. goalscorer24 says:

That is a weak position for us, so how could we not bring him in?

35. Optimist Primer says:

I’m down with the kid if he’s indeed had a change of heart and understands he would be fighting for a roster spot. He’s American born and raised, we need the depth (and in-team competition), and it’d be (as Ives said) a continued trend of dual nationals choosing the USA.

My only criticism is how many times he used the words “ME” or “MY career” or “what’s best for ME”. Now that we’ve seen what 11 guys bleeding for each other and that jersey can do…

36. JCC says:

This guy has been under-performing for Club America. He wasn’t even called into the Mexico Gold Cup squad even though they are using a B-team for the most part. I’ve seen him play at both the national and club level, and while he provides a great offensive spark, he’s a defensive liability. He won’t be much of an upgrade, but he’d provide depth.

37. Peter says:

Adding a player of his quality would add depth at a position we are weak at. Despite all of the criticism of Bradley concerning his tactics, substitutions and line-ups, this is one area (i.e. recruiting players that have opportunities to play for other nations) that he is certainly better than Arena and Rongen whose comments supposedly catalyzed Rossi and Subotic to go elsewhere

38. brant says:

isn’t he the kid that claimed to have a Mexican birth certificate to play for Chivas de Guadalajara? Or am I thinking of someone else?

39. Jason says:

Brant you are thinking of Jesus Padilla

40. understood says:

as someone else said earlier…cap him…lock him up for the US…then you have the rest of his career to assess whether he belongs or not…its really a no-brainer

41. Blokhin says:

I think that this is just a ploy to get back into the Mexican team-telling a website is not the same as an official statement, he can always retract it and say he was misinterpreted, misquoted, mistranslated, whatever… Jermaine Jones came out with a statement and said that he will play for the U.S. and told the German national team coach- he burned the bridge and never looked back… I think that this guy is just trying to get some leverage…

We’ll see what happens… is it worth bringing him in when USMNT has to work on integrating Jones already? The chemistry of this team will be vital to overcoming the talent shortfall if we’re to advance in 2010…

42. jordancda says:

I wouldn’t want to play for Mexico right now either…

43. Chris says:

Hell no. ‘Nuff said.

44. Oranje Mike says:

Bradley shouldn’t call him? Why? Because he lacks heart and integrity. He stated himself that he wouldn’t play for the United States. Now that Mexico is falling off the cliff and on verge of failing to qualify for the World Cup he wants back in. You must live with the choices you make, Edgar. Have fun not playing in the World Cup.

45. Angel says:

Well this is nice to hear that he would want to play for the USA but he has to talk to Orozco and Torres and see if he really would like to come to play for USA and get buried on the Bench with his Fellows (Torres, Orozco, Adu, Cooper, and others more to be name)

46. Eric Griesheimer says:

Depth…sounds good to me. Everyone close your eyes and try to remember eddie lewis playing left back against the czech republic 3 years ago. Please make the call and call him up.

Honestly, he might not start, but surely he would be ahead of heath pearce.

47. matt says:

Cap him. I don’t really think we’re in a position to snub talented left sided players. It’s been said before, but Bornstein? Beasley? Pearce? c’mon. Castillo certainly brings something to the table that these guys never will.

48. The Gentleman Masher says:

If he can play, he can play…if his wishy-washiness about who to play for doesn’t effect his performance on the field, give him the shirt!

As solid as Boca was at LB – we need depth. Any time we can have 2 or 3 players capable of playing a position, we give ourselves a better chance.

The fact that we really had no one Bob felt comfortable bringing off the bench yesterday – save maybe for Bornstein – says we need to take all the talent we can get right now.

49. gel65 says:

I know all you guys saying u would take him are all the same internet tough guy idiots who talk shiznit about one Guisseppe Rossi and his decision.All of you can go starigh to hell!!

50. Angel says:

But imagine just for sake playing at the Azteca with this lineup with Sub.

———Altidore(Cooper)—-Davis(Dempsey)—–

Donovan(Adu)——————–Dempsey(Torres)

——–Jones(Clark)—–Bradley(Feilhaber)—-

Bocanegra—–Oguchie——Oguchie——-Spector
    (Castillo)—(Bocanegra)—-(Oguchie)—-(Charandulo)

——————-Howard—————-
    ——————-(Guzan)—————–

51. Blake says:

Not interested in Mexico’s sloppy seconds. We’re too good for that.

52. Kevin says:

Chris — I really enjoy your thought-out, well articulated argument as to why you wouldn’t want to add depth to the worst position on our team.

And Oranje Mike, he chose Mexico in the first place because the US was too incompetent to realize his talent; we shunned him.

53. Supsam says:

as long as he apologizes for his comments, i will welcome him with open arms as long as his intentions are to play his heart out for the US of A

54. Oranjebleeder says:

Bring him in. I’m OK with the new rule. I couldn’t care less that he previously gave the U.S. the middle finger if he turns out to be better than the options we have.

55. cevlrocks says:

Well, what the UMNT lacks are outside defenders with attacking ability. None of our outside defenders have great touch on the ball or the ability to be an offensive threat. If we can get players in defense that move forward(like brazils did yesterday)it opens up the pitch for other players, as well as preventing us from bunker defense. Coming from someone who actually played against Castillo in high school and club soccer. I think he would be a great fit for this position. No touch from any defender currently on the USMNT right now can compare with his. After all he did play forward in High school and club and holds the goal scoring record in NM. Besides if i remember correctly when talking to him. He was always frustrated that he was not consistently playing with the youth national teams. The reason for not choosing him was always the same. They said he was too small(I’m sure that would upset all of us to have someone tell you that you have everything but the ability to knock people around…which is not needed). Maybe he was at the youth level but size does not matter at the pro level when you have skill, which he does. So, I say yes. He is good player and the type of defender the USMNT needs to keep other teams honest. I really would like to see us play the worlds best and not bunker in and allow 20 plus shots a game. You can only stop so many.

56. doug says:

hmm. one wonders if he made those comments before or after the Confederations Cup. If he did it after, i say go take a hike and dont drink he water down there.

57. Angel says:

My bad I made a mistake put oguchie twice

But imagine just for sake playing at the Azteca with this lineup with Sub.

———Altidore(Cooper)—-Davis(Tracy)—–

Donovan(Torres)——————–Dempsey(Adu)

——–Jones(Clark)—–Bradley(Feilhaber)—-

Bocanegra—–Oguchie——DeMerit——-Spector
    (Castillo)—(Orozco)—-(Vidal)—-(Charandulo)

——————-Howard—————-
    ——————-(Guzan)—————–

58. green says:

“Please people (BFBS and Green)…read the links provided before commenting…he says this in one of the links:

_________________________________________

Please Turtle, stop assuming folks didn’t read the piece.

What does he talking to Torres about what it’s like from an inside perspective have to do with what you’re saying? Are you saying I think these two should be handed starting spots without earning it? Not what I meant at all. Simply think it would be wise to talk to someone in a similar position before making a big decision.

59. Ted says:

Take him.

Kid’s an American. Should be good enough.

60. AdamTheRed says:

Call in more Mexican American talent!

They are a vital community in this nation and I want to see more of them in the squad.

Viva America!

61. kpugs says:

I don’t see a trend of people choosing the U.S., I see a trend of players intentionally choosing other countries and falling back on the U.S. as a last resort.

To be honest it offends me, I will not argue with people who say we need the best players, period. That is true and they are right.

Doesn’t change the fact that I wish these guys would go play in traffic.

62. David says:

I would take him, make him play one game in the Gold Cup, bench his ass the rest of the time so that he never can play for Mexico again, and so that once traitor now crawling back to us gets the message!

But seriously, don’t you guys remember that he said he wouldn’t play for is if we called? You’re okay with letting that slide and having him come play? While we need help in the position, that doesn’t mean we should let someone with no allegiance to the US come play. Same reason I’m weary of Jones. This rule is kind of cool, but it also has a catch, allowing players to play for their “second” choice nation.

63. Freddy says:

F*CK HIM. He clearly said he didn’t want to play for us and chose our arch rivals instead. Now since things aren’t working out with Mexico, he wants to play for the US?! We don’t need Mexico’s rejects on this team.

64. Max says:

Sorry I don’t want him. Once you suit up for Mexico you should never be allowed to play for the U.S. at any level. I don’t want a Mexican Sol “Judas” Campbell on my team (a player who is rightfully hated by the rival opposition for switching to the enemies.)

65. Tony in Quakeland says:

Okay, so let’s say that you walk up to Angelina Jolie in a hotel bar and you proposition her. And she says, “I wouldn’t sleep with you if you were the last man on earth.”

The next day she walks up to you in the bar, puts her room key in your hand and says, “I made a mistake. Come upstairs with me now.”

You really going to say, “No. You rejected me – the heck with you”? No, you toss her over your shoulder and run for the elevator.

66. Wispy says:

Ok, so he made some crappy comments about how he wouldn’t play for the U.S. even if we called. He was, like, TWENTY at the time and I’m not going to hold a silly comment against a young kid. If the WC is truly about the best players in the world coming together to play, then that means some of the world’s best may have to play for their “second choice.” If it helps the USMNT, I’m all for it. And for those of you who are upset that he’s changing his mind now, after the Confed Cup…why does that bother you? I think it’s a sign that our play in South Africa over the past 2 weeks has really turned some heads internationally. Frankly, I hope some uber-talented Argentinian U-23 player without a senior cap remembers he has a U.S. passport and gives Sunil a call. As long as he plays hard for the shirt, he can be on my team.

67. Wispy says:

Pretty funny, Tony, but I’d hardly call Castillo the Angelina Jolie of soccer. I’d say more like Kaka.

68. Luke says:

Give the guy a break!!! He didn’t turn his back on the US like Rossi or Subotic or Jones, who is turning his back on Germany. If you read the articles that Ives has links for you’d have found this little tidbit, “But he never got much attention from the US youth National Team setup whom, he said, deemed the 5-foot-8 Castillo too small.” Our national youth system has had history of pissing off people and having them choose to play for other countries they’ve had eligibilty for, Arena with Rossi, Rongen with Subotic and who know who with Castillo.

69. CSD says:

Lets see how committed he is. Call him into the suad and let him sing the US National Anthem at Azteca for the qualifier. Then tell him he has to walk back to the team hotel. If he passes that test I think he is ready for the USMNT.

70. ELAC says:

Brant, you’re thinking of Jesus “Gringo” Padilla. They fudged his papers and he lied, too. This guy lied about being born in San Jose, California.

Castillo should get a shot, even if he wiore the other “TRI” colors.

Besides, the US has proven that it has come a ways since the 1990 squad. Maybe he starts, maybe he doesn’t, maybe doesn’t even play. Im just saying, give him a shot.

71. Gino says:

Why do you think we have military bases all over the planet?

There have got to be plenty of guys out there who suited up in friendlies for teams but are maybe 3,4 or 5 on the depth chart now. Except for keepers, at any given momement, 3rd or 4th for a lot of teams would be 1st or second on the US. Who could blame the guy who is 3, 4 or 5 behind Kaka, Messi, Torres, or Ribery for wanting to push for first team opportunities somewhere else? I say get em all signed up quick before FIFA realizes its blunder and scraps the whole thing.

72. fut..nah, soccer!! says:

Even with Boca as a possibility I would hope the confed cup showed what a difference a offensive minded defender can have. Spectors crossing ability was a revelation (and led to 2 goals) and to have a back on the left side who can also contribute in the attack would be a tremendous advantage for us.

73. FCB says:

@Gino

“Why do you think we have military bases all over the planet? ”

Can we *please* get a couple of military bases in Brazil…

74. JCC says:

Posted by: Luke | June 29, 2009 at 06:21 PM

You are correct Luke, but I’ve also read articles where Bob Bradley says he’s talked to Castillo and he felt that Castillo wasn’t interested in playing for us.

75. Joey says:

He was born in the US, he’s an American, and I think we could use him. Bocanegra was mildly exposed due to lack of speed (though I love him in the middle), so I think Bornstein or Castillo could do nicely back there.

I can barely understand Benedict Arnold Rossi’s motivation to play for the Azurri. But who in their right mind would choose to align himself with the Mexican national program? Besides, it’s just a matter of time before more Mexican-Americans suit up patriotically in the red, white and blue (Torres should be getting more playing time).

76. Mastro says:

Time to stop this guys that play for others and later change their minds and wanto play for USA….CASTILLO STAY IN MEXICO.WE NO NEED YOU HERE.

77. jimmygreaves says:

The main thing is, is he any good? Is he being freezed out of Mexico because of politics or is it because he is no good? If he is any good,bring him in. However, Mexico is awful so how good can he be? The biggest lesson to be learned from the Brazil game is that the US needs as much depth and as many options as possible.

Brazil won because they have the ability and depth to change their tactics after the half. In doing that they brought on a couple of subs who, together, probably make more money than the entire US team.

Bradley, who you all want to fire, had few options. Remember that in the Spain game, we did not score our second goal until comparatively late in the second half, so Spain foolishly stuck with their tactics until it was too late. Or maybe they were just stubborn.

We’ll never know but if it had been 1-0 or 0-0 going into the half maybe Brazil doesn’t switch their tactics until it’s too late.

The other thing is that Larrionda’s present to the US in the Spain game completely ruined our substitution pattern. Feilhaber was not game fit leading into the tournament, which is one reason he wasn’t having success starting.

That meant the only viable options Bradley had for subs were Bornstein, Kjlestan and Beaseley (yikes!). And for those who think Adu and Torres should have gotten some garbage time in the Italy and Brazil blowouts, in a tournament like this, there is no garbage time. Even if you are losing 3-0 to Brazil you have to try to keep that fourth goal out. We all saw how important goal difference is.

Hopefully, with Jones coming in and the injured guys coming back, we will have better options and more depth next year. If Castillo can add to that all the better. However, the final 23 for 2010 is getting pretty tight now so he better get on board ASAP.

Other lessons to the USMNT:

Stay on your feet when tackling, foreign refs don’t like American players.

When leading 2-0 at the half of a final, sub out your tired forwards and bring in competent goons who will stick to their man the Lindsay Lohan’s paparazzi but not get red carded(admittedly, we don’t have any, Torres,? Kjlestan,? Adu ? Beasley? Pearce? HA!Bornstein was a good idea but too late)i.e. KILL THE GAME and bored the hell out of everyone watching.

78. Freddy says:

Right on CSD!!!
    ————————————–

Posted by: CSD | June 29, 2009 at 06:27 PM

79. Jose A. V. says:

As a Mexican American Fan, and supporter of the USMNT. I prefer players who really want to represent the United States and not just because of the opportunity to play soccer.

80. ELAC says:

I like CSD’s idea. Except for walking back to the hotel. They’ll kill him and that doesn’t help us.

81. Jags98 says:

Take as much as you can, you can never have enough. We need a pipeline to be competitve as proven Sunday.

The more you have, the more you have depth pushing the people at the top. You could be replaced with no problem. This would stop the call-ups for certain players or roster spots they hold time again for poor showings.

We want every player to be pushed to get on the team.

Make the Call!

82. beto says:

TRAITOR !!!! scr3w him

83. Freddy says:

You guys think that a player like Landon who poured in blood, sweat and tears battling Mexico would welcome playing next to an American born player who’s preference IS Mexico and has said he wouldn’t play for us if called?

BOTTOM LINE: We are not a desperate team here.

84. Elliott says:

Do I detect some subtle anti-Hispanic currents in the messages that border on hysterical? Yes. Yes I do.

Castillo – bienvenido a la seleccion gringa. Nos hace falta un zurdo con toque y clase como tu. Un FUERTISISISSISIMO abrazo!

85. japan says:

No thank you. Things like deciding what country to represent is so important and we are not that desperate to take someone that changes his mind on something as important as this.

If Rossi was somehow still allowed to play for the US, 95% of the posters that said yes to this would say no. I am one of those that do not mind Rossi playing for Italy but if he says he wants to play for US, I would say no. I do not see the difference between Rossi and Castillo besides the fact that Rossi is on another level.

86. japan says:

and Tony in Quakeland, please do not compare Castillo with Angelina Jolie

87. HM says:

If USSF were saavy, they’d call him up and start him versus Mexico on 8/12.

88. Scott A says:

Hmmm. I’m torn. My mind tells me to give him a call and have him enter the fold, depth never hurts. My heart says something quite the opposite. I never want somebody who donned a Mexican national jersey on my team. And I don’t want people who are playing for the US whose only reason is to further their career. Of course that’s a big reason for international play, but I want people who feel for their country. Mexio->US is different than Germany->US
    I’m willing to give him a chance. However, I don’t like this new rule. Countries aren’t clubs. Obviously some people have mixed heritage and must make a choice, but I don’t like this idea of switching

89. Isaac says:

I can understand why people wouldn’t want him for moral reasons like what Scott A said. I just think that he’s such a good left back prospect that we should bring him in and give him a shot. If he plays with passion for the colours then lets keep him.

90. KungFuSoccer says:

I really don’t like this switching. Especially when U.S. & Mex are such huge rivals.

Would England take someone who played for France or Germany? [Of course some soccer historian (nerd) will point out that this has already happened 100 times]

The concept of hiring mercenaries who have no love for their team’s country just doesn’t sit right w/me.

91. John Glosson says:

This is ALMOST the same situation as Jones. He’s not in the plans for the Mexico team so he wants to jump on board the USA bandwagon now so he can go to the World Cup. Jones knew he wasn’t going to get a chance to play for Germany, so he’s using the new rule to go play for his 2nd choice. Does the USA really want to be the fat chick of the soccer world?

92. JB says:

I’m not sure he is better than Bornstein, but competition at that spot surely isn’t a bad thing. Especially since Pearce no longer appears to be providing any.

93. joshinho says:

For what it’s worth, I met Edgar last Wednesday while he was in Chicago with Tigres and Superliga. He came into the store I work at and was wearing Tigres gear so I started chatting with him about it. He was incredibly nice and very professional. We chatted about the US-Spain match (which had ended about an hour beforehand) and he even mentioned that he was eligible to play for the US or Mexico. He didn’t get into specifics for obvious reasons.

This doesn’t change much (I also would like playing for the US to be players’ first choices) but his extreme politeness and humility were enough to win me over.

94. dave says:

sub him in 90+ so hes cap tied for life then never call him again.

Posted by: Katatonia | June 29, 2009 at 04:43 PM

best plan i’ve heard

95. jpc says:

adds depth if nothing else. Although I don’t like the fact that he is basically crawling back to the US now, assumingly b/c he’s not getting playing time in Mexico…

I don’t want to compare him w/ Rossi, b/c the kid grew up like 10 miles from Mexico, and Rossi grew up in Jersey, but it just rubs me the wrong way when people use national teams as a stepping stone in their careers, rather than as a way to represent their countries…

W/ that said, if he’s good enough, and willing to give his all for the team, than we should use him for our benefit, b/c at the end of the day he is still an American

96. dave says:

I don’t doubt that he would add depth to a weak position, I just don’t want a player that had previously decided to play for Mexico. I want to see players who at the very least show some respect for the US. I feel similarly with Jones but am less troubled by him as I have great respect for those who serve in the military (like his father) and hope Jones (while still German) will take that part of his heritage to heart.

97. BFBS says:

John Glosson,

The “fat chick of the soccer world” analogy only works if in fact the USA is unattractive (as in “inferior”). But we are not inferior, we just beat Spain in a major international competition, to whom Germany lost in another important competition and whom Mexico has no chance of beating. That just means that we are better at recognizing and utilizing talent. Perhaps a better analogy then is that we are a hot, smart gold digger :)

98. Joe B. NYC says:

We got Todd Dunivant. Plus I’m more concerned about Jose Torres switching to Mexico (can he?) because BB’s issues with him…

99. Arcticrules says:

You superpatriots are going too far. At 20, after being shunned for the greater part of his career to that point by the US, he said what was on his mind at that moment. If he had played in a bunch of youth games for Mexico NT and then switched under the old rule, would you all be saying he shouldn’t be allowed to then? These rules are relatively arbitrary points as to when it is too late to change your mind. The rules have been changed, giving Castillo a second chance to reevaluate his position on playing for the US. He has changed his mind (as every one of you have done on something equally significant in your lives I expect) and should not be punished for doing so. Welcome Edgar and I hope you bring the much-needed depth at right back!

100. madmax says:

Give him a shot. Keep him away from Thomas Rongen.

101. Scott A says:

Arcticrules, no, if he had played in youth games for Mexico and then switched I suspect many people would not have a problem with it. Many of us have said that we’re begrudgingly open to him wearing the Red, White, and Blue in the interest of depth and our success. Many people seem to be in agreement, though, that switching to another country after playing in a full international game (not at youth level) is a step a bit too far

102. Sterlinho says:

If he ends up like Martin Vasquez then I’ll take him. link to en.wikipedia.org

I would never play him in Mexico though, that would be crazy. A defender who’s played for the other team in Azteca…not a good recipe.

I feel very torn on the subject. We all make mistakes and if he wants to play for the country he was born in then he has a right to do so.

103. Brent McD. says:

I keep hearing that the U.S. youth system didn’t want this guy because he was “too small.” WTF??!? This is exactly how we end up with specimens like Eddie Johnson (aka “Grown Ass Man”). How tall is Maradona anyway? Youth coaches need to recognize skill and touch regardless of the external package. If a kid can play, then he can play. [end of rant]

104. SuperChivo says:

I agree with the current that if we embrace Jones, we should accept Castillo as well. One, it is never cut and dry for dual country nationals and two we should encourage the trend of encouraging Mexican Americans to play for and support the USA.

105. Tony in Quakeland says:

japan: Now I didn’t compare him to Angelina Jolie. That was mere exaggeration to make a point. Substitute any actress you like for more accuracy.

106. rickr says:

I wish us having finished 2nd at the Confederations Cup wasn’t the reason for the change. He should have always wanted to play for the USA becaue he is an AMERICAN.

107. Robert says:

Bandwagon player. He wasn’t excited about playing for the US before. I’m not sure I want someone doubting their place in a national team representing our country.

108. timmy says:

screw him. i’d rather lose than have a rat who wanted to play for the tri.

109. primoone says:

Edgar Castillo is very very similar to Bornstien. The only difference is that Castillo can play.

stop the belly-aching and call this fool up. I would hate to see him playing Left back in 2014 for Mexico. Besides, he sees regular minutes in La Primera. Well, Crapp…I guess thats not saying much considering torres is better than Benny, sasha and DMB and he cant get any love from Boob. I guess its true about him being biased against latino players.

110. Joe B says:

welcome home. the more mexican-americans the better for us soccer!

111. Juan from L.A. says:

This kid needs to get his act together!!! Let’s get Vidal in first before this guy if that’s the case. This kid’s attitude just plainly stinks!!!

112. Johnny says:

WELCOME TO THE USMNT!

113. Richard says:

A lot of misinformation out there. Castillo wanted to play for the US but the MNT never came calling until AFTER the Mexican team took an interest in him. Castillo’s dad was frustrated and set up the call with Mexico as a result: (link to nytimes.com)

This is VERY different from Giuseppe Rossi, who always made it clear he wanted to play for Italy. The US went after him much more aggressively than they ever did with Castillo. Again – Rossi, always said he was going to play for Italy; Castillo, wanted to play for the US but never got the chance until after our biggest rival offered him a spot.

The USSF has acknowledged that it made a mistake with Castillo (read the article). This is the exact opposite of Rossi.

More importantly, he plays a position where we are thin. He would be, at worst, the backup to Cherondolo. Let’s put it this way – he’s an enormous improvement over having to call up Bornstein for that role.

This one is a no-brainer.

114. DC96 says:

I’d like to think that at this point US Soccer is above Mexico’s sloppy seconds

115. Leonardo says:

^^ Richard, thanks for the info! that’s awesome to hear. he ain’t no bandwagon-er! he’s the real deal. L.A. too! i like that it will force the USSF to check out the domestic Latino market, especially within California. you know Mexico’s got a hawkish eye on it!

116. huricano says:

Qué NO! The kid made his decision to play for El Tri, let it rest.

117. vic says:

C’mon home son. I know whitey can be bad sometimes, but
    this country belongs to us too…

118. Al says:

People – you guys are forgetting the fact that Mexico called him first. He was never in the US radar until Mexico picked him up. So, I understand if he was pissed then and chose Mexico.

Now that he wants to come back, let him come.
    Who’s our next option at LB after Bocanegra? Bornstein?!? He’s better than Bornstein.

What’s interesting is that he said he talked to Orozco regarding this. So far, Orozco has successfully recruited 2 Mexican Americans in Torres and Castillo (if US indeed calls him). It’d be ironic if Bob calls those 2, but not Orozco.

119. siff says:

I’m fairly certain that Jermaine Jones was born in the US and moved with his mother to Germany as a toddler, so you’re incorrect. That said, I agree with your premise.

120. Danny says:

Bring him in. Give him one meaningful cap as a sub in the 90th minute. Then never call him again.

It’ll be the ol’ “I will smash your face into a car windshield, and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out for a nice seafood dinner and never call her again” trick!

121. Scott A says:

primoone, stop the nonsense about Bradley being biased against latinos. that’s a lazy comment
    And siff, Jermaine Jones was most definitely born in Germany

122. Scott A says:

Although he did live in the States while young for a short time if you were thinking of that

123. Jammer says:

I’m psyched the US has him as an option. If the coaches want him, I know the US would welcome its prodigal son.

124. Ben says:

He was mad at the US for never calling him in. He wanted to play for us, but his father got angry and set up the mexico thing.

He’s an up and coming young LB who would fit perfectly with the US system. I say go for it.

Besides, we can just take from Mexico, trhats always a plus.

125. wooz says:

One thing is for certain, USA needs no more wasted roster spots with Beaslay and SK. Beasley gives me nightmares. Horrible, horrible nightmares.

126. DC Josh says:

If he can’t even make the Mexican squad’s Gold Cup roster, how good is he?

I don’t know much about him, besides he shunned the US for our biggest rival, Mexico.

I love my national team too much to forgive him, I say give another youngster who loves his country a chance.

127. dabes2 says:

Castillo certainly has enough talent to be in the conversation for the USA were it not for the USA-Mex conflict. Hard to imagine him not on our Gold Cup team trying to earn his way to the A team bench.

I think he should be given a chance, but I also think he will be held to a higher standard. Because the USA team can not succeed against top teams on pure talent. We need players who are willing to bleed for the shirt and we also need complete cohesion among the players.

IMO, we should bring him in, and see what happens. But I wouldn’t let him anywhere near Azteca. If he’s accepted and shows his commitment then fine. And if not, then he can fade into a Jessie Marschesque role in national team history.

128. dabes2 says:

One other thing………… I would like a reporter to ask Edgar’s opinion for why he isn’t on Mexico’s B team for the Gold Cup.

129. Jeff says:

No thanks… why should we be his backup plan to play on the international stage.

130. EA Scott says:

Wow,
    I think you guys are being way to hard on the kid. I mean, did the US ever pursue this kid? It’s not like he ever played for a US youth team, like Subotic or was invited to them like Rossi.

And for those calling him a bandwagon player, your forgetting that the fifa rule just changed (hasn’t even changed yet, really). So he did not have the opportunity to switch before.

He’s a young left footed player with a lot of talent. He might not be perfectly polished yet, but he’s got a lot of potential. I say WELCOME TO THE USMNT!!!!

131. EA Scott says:

Quote for the Castillo last year:

“It would have been nice — to be from the U.S. and play for the U.S.,” “I was wondering what the U.S. was thinking, why they were not calling me.”

He said he wanted to play for the US but they never called. It’s a big problem for us, we are not developing the latino, and possibly other minority, talent in this country. These guys have to go to Mexico to get the opportunity to play…

132. Army of Dad says:

I don’t know. I am not a fan of having someone who wore that shirt wear ours, but I understand the sentiment of him being a 20 year old kid and saying something he ended up regretting later.

A bigger question is why he can’t get on the field for Mexico, even in the Gold Cup.

133. brad says:

Is he any good???

134. yankiboy says:

Thanks to those of you who have given me more info in order to process my take.

Now that I understand that the US dropped the ball on this one, I have swung in my opinion.

I was against it but now, I say

since he says that he wants to come, I welcome him and say let him earn his spot.

135. Radi0head says:

you people are hating on him for no reason imo, it is clear from sveral articles I read that he did indeed want to play for the US. HOWEVER, he was told he was too small for the youth team, and then never got a call up to the Nats. SO of coruse he is going to get frustrated and speak out. So your going to hold it against a 20 year old kid for speaking his mind? Not fair. And more to the point, the USSF only tried to go after him once Mexico approached him. This is whole issue is NOT the fault of Castillo, rather it is a general failure in the USSF. I understand everyones patriotism as I feel it too, but please temper it with some rationality.

136. Mike Z says:

I think he should get a shot. If he can win a spot, great for the US and great for Castillo. If he doesn’t win a spot, what is the downside? I hope that this continues to turn into a wave of Hispanic Americans getting into the US Soccer system. It is a huge talent pool and is underrepresented in the US team.

137. 505anthony says:

Sign him up.

138. Marmaduke says:

I wouldn’t turn him down just because he played for Mexico. We could use some depth at left back. Based on previous reports, it sounded like he would have gone with the US if both had called at the same time.

link to nytimes.com

I’m sure he’s torn. I have no real ties to Mexico, but grew up in Texas watching El Tri on the spanish networks. I still root for Mexico if they’re not playing us. I can’t imagine how hard a decision it must have been for him to make last year, now they changed the rules on him and he has to make the decision all over again.

I’d question Jones’ motives more, except that I don’t think it’s a question. We’re happy to have someone of his caliber and Germany doesn’t need him. It’s not about national identity.

139. AdamTheRed says:

LET HIM PLAY!

140. HM says:

I’m just curious of the name on the back of his jersey. Would it be…

“Traidor”

“Ancle a Bebé”

“El sueño de Napolitano”

141. Mitch says:

Don’t say no, we could mos’ def’ use more depth at Left Back or Left Wing… I like Carlos Boca at LB but who else is worst a damn who is Left footed? Johnny B (NO) Beasley (Hell No). PLUS we’d take someone away from Mexico. It’s not like we need to play him often as long as he doesn’t play for Mexico than good.

142. Freddy says:

I’m of German descent and cheered on the German national team like a madman in EURO. But first and foremost I’m an American. I’ll take 1 cap in the 93rd minute for USA over 100 German caps anyday because this is my country. Changing national teams is not like changing club teams, it’s something you feel in your heart from the time you first kick a ball. Obviously the USMNT was not in his heart and Mexico was. Now, since he can’t get a spot for Mexico and since the US is looking like a team that can compete with the best in the world, he wants in.

143. Daniel says:

I would not call this guy. He has not heart to play for Mexico or the USA.

144. Rastafari says:

May have been mentioned already— Take into account the -possibilty- his family may have been a factor in his initial decision. Young kid goes to Mexico to make them proud- realizes that its not really his dream..(?)

I swear I’m not his publicist !!! serious!

145. Alex G says:

Hey guys, we need to give Castillo a shot, he can be a really good player and we don´t have to many options at LB, he can be a very good sub.

146. christian Navarro says:

Since the kid spent all of his life here in the U.S. and did the pledge in his classes as so many of us do, I think he should be given a shot. He is American and his only fault was to accept a call up from the first Nation that actually wanted him and didn’t criticize his stature. Rossi was called constantly and never accepted so there is a difference. I say call him in let the mexican American contingent play in AZTECA since they are use to it and loets kick some MOJO ASS! VIVA USA!!!!!

147. Derek says:

As far as any future with the U.S., Castillo said that would never happen. “Even if they call, I’m not going to come,” he said. “I already told them that I’m staying with Mexico.”

Forget him. We need players with the heart and determination to play for the USA like a Navy SEAL. This isn’t the commitment we’re looking for.

Or, we can cap him and dump him.

148. Mike says:

I have a feeling he’s using this rule as leverage to get playing time for Mexico. Now is hardly the time for Mexico to lose young players, and their defense is a sieve right now.

Now if this isn’t all just talk, and he actually does switch allegiances, then the more the merrier. A little more competition never hurt anybody.