Johnson parts ways with MK Dons

American-born winger/forward Jemal Johnson is looking for a new club after parting ways with MK Dons. The sided failed to reach an agreement on a new contract, clearing the way for Johnson’s departure. Johnson enjoyed a strong first half of the English First Division season before falling out of favor in recent months. There have been suggestions that Johnson’s failure to sign a new deal played a part in his benching. Where would you like to see Johnson go? Share your thoughts below.

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad. Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Johnson parts ways with MK Dons

1. Cam says:

Any place where he can get significant playing time will be a good move, whether it be in MLS or somewhere else in Europe. He’s in a situation very similar to DaMarcus Beasley, except he’s free to go where he wants now.

2. PCFC says:

I thought it was jemal

3. yankiboy says:

I’m with Cam. For me, it’s not about the league or club, per ser–The Eredivise or Bundasliga2 or Championship–he needs to be able to play and continue to be challenged.

Having said that, I would kind of prefer to see him in one of the leagues that I mentioned as opposed to the Scandanavian ones.

Just do NOT come back here to MLS. I think that would be a mistake. That isn’t a knock on the league. I just think that he should slug it out in Europe since he is already used to being in a hardcore footballing enviroment…

4. William the Terror says:

Send him to Cardiff City, where he can pair with compatriot Eddie Johnson in a strike force sure to be known as “Johnson and Johnson.” Maybe they can make baby shampoo commercials for extra cash.

5. fubar says:

Let’s hope he can hook up with a Championship Outfit, maybe one of the the promoted League 1 sides?

6. jpc says:

I’d like to see him in Holland, France, or come to the MLS. I think he should get out of England, it’s really not the best place to cultivate talent

7. SayervilleFC says:

He ought to give MLS a try, at this point.

As noted he needs playing time and there are plenty of teams in MLS that could use a pacey right wing/forward type.

Sure, he’ll likely take a pay cut but he’s been making money in England long enough that unless he spends money like a crack whore he should have enough saved up that he should be able to afford to play on MLS wages for a season or two before trying to head back over to the UK for more money.

Plus, a good showing here could get him a shot with the US National Team, though that should be on the back-burner when he makes his decision. At this point, playing time and stability should be his objectives.

8. Richie B says:

Just from looking at the comments on some stories elsewhere, it seems as though MK Dons fans are disappointed that Johnson was let loose. I hope he can either link up with a Championship club or go to Holland.

9. madmax says:

NYRB.

10. Mark says:

If Jemal stays locked in (mentally), he’s good enough to be picked up by a Championship side and do well.

He was one of the best players in League One during the first half of the season.

11. Fred says:

No no no no no MLS.

12. Herbie H. says:

I don’t think he’ll come to MLS. Based on what I’ve read, he doesn’t really consider himself American. He’d probably play for us if he had the opportunity since England isn’t happening, but I’d put decent money on him staying in England. That said, seeing him move elsewhere (MLS included) would be cool.

13. John says:

He probably hasn’t made a lot of money yet in his career playing in League 2 and League 1. Before that he was most likely an underpaid youth player for Blackburn. I’m sure he was not making MLS Deveopment player money, but you get my drift.

14. Athan says:

Oh man, please come to MLS. The Red Bulls could use a decent right wing in place of the extremely ineffective Richards!

15. RLW2020 says:

is he a US citizen or UK? i don’t think he has been on an int’l team yet..

16. Richard, UK says:

He’s a UK citizen, but has a US passport. His parents are American and he was born in the States, but doesn’t consider himself American as his parents moved him here when he was about 5 years old.

He’ll be staying in the UK, I think he’ll probably be moving to a mid-table League One side.

17. Matt in Louisville says:

Jemal wants to play for the USMNT and recently said his agent has been talking with Bradley about him playing with the team this summer.

I still don’t think he’ll want to play in MLS though. He hasn’t been here since he was 5.

18. einar says:

dont comeback to MLS

19. Athan says:

I don’t get it, we get all those guys saying things like NO MLS?!! Why exactly would you not want a nice young player to come and play in the states?? Do you actually think MK Dons is that much better quality than the MLS?? Give me a break guys. Let’s support this darn league so it can get better!

20. harry says:

I have never seen him play, but he probably isn’t good enough for the MNT. A solid div 3 player in England means he might be a good MLS player, but not likely outstanding. Carl Robinson is a good player, but he doesn’t rock MLS week in and week out. This is Johnson’s one shot at a decent contract, and I can’t imagine he wouldn’t make the most money in England.

21. Steve Nicol says:

Jemal, the New England Revolution would like to have a word with you.

22. gmonsoon43 says:

It would be cool to see a young American came and play in the MLS. I think it would be a bad move for his career though. This is because MLS historically makes it difficult for its players to transfer to Europe. Meaning it would be hard for him to get back to Europe if he came to the MLS and had a few good years.

23. Jason says:

Rumor was he was looking at Championship squads. Lets hope he makes on there.

24. BellusLudas says:

Needs to go to Germany…

25. kofix5 says:

He should go to Brazil.

26. Tyler says:

kofix5 – name one good reason he should go to Brazil again?

27. The Athority says:

Great comments about him not coming BACK to the MLS!

LOL!!!!

28. Jose A. V. says:

Championship, France, or Portugal

29. The Athority says:

I think he’d fit in well in the USL, Carolina RailHawks.

That’s a good fit for players from the English 3rd division.

30. allie says:

Sorry to burst your bubble but EJ is back at Fulham. He won’t be returning to Cardiff. His loan is over.

Plus there already was a Johnson and Johnson. Roger Johnson and Eddie Johnson.

31. allie says:

The only way JJ would come back to MLS is if he would make more money. I think he will stay in Europe. Hes a great player, good crosser, and can unleash a rocket of a shot from long range (youtube).

FYI JJ makes $234,000 a year. $4,500 a week.

32. DC Josh says:

Go anywhere where you are wanted!!! We need more wingers on our Nat’s team.

Good luck to him.

33. nate says:

Those of you who say he is not national team material are freaking insane and have obviously never seen this kid play. He has the ability to create out of nothing and score blinders from long distance, which exactly ZERO of our current pool can do.

He is most definitely worthy of a Gold Cup look after the past two seasons he has put together in a league that is superior to MLS. That’s right, I said it.

34. adam says:

Nate, I second!

The players get paid more and the games matter more.

35. Scott A says:

I’m not sure if he’ll ever fit in with the Nats but I’m sorry nate, I disagree pretty strongly that League One is better than MLS

36. Mike Caramba says:

Well said, Athority. It amazes me that the people who are most eager to get him to MLS don’t realize that he’s never played here.

@nate

“Those of you who say he is not national team material are freaking insane and have obviously never seen this kid play.”

You question whether or not we have seen Johnson play. I question how many league one matches you’ve watched (no, watching highlights doesn’t count). No offense. The only thing that makes league one better than MLS is the potential to move into better leagues.

Johnson could play a role for the US in the future, but he’s way down on the depth chart right now. More quality minutes with a Championship-or-better squad would do a lot to help his case.

37. Peterdela says:

Wing play in the MLS sucks. Any decent winger immediately looks awesome in the MLS. How often do we see a winger zoom up his flank (with pace), cut inside, and fire a rocket from his weaker foot.

I’ve personally never seen it. But if it happens it all, then rarely.

Johnson is that kind of player. Look at youtube.

38. allie says:

There are streams of League One games. JJ is a great player, way better than MLS. League One is superior to MLS. Not only does JJ make way more money but he has gotten a lot of interest from other clubs.

He has a killer long range shot, he knows how to cross the ball, he can play up front or on the wing.

He won’t come to MLS. Why should he? He can make a ton more money in England and can get past the work permit requirements. He grew up in England. Why would he want to come to MLS?

39. This Guy says:

Jemal Johnson was born in America but considers himself a Brit. He doesn’t want anything to do with the United States. I don’t know why we continue to talk about him. He wouldn’t even start in the MLS anyways.

40. Andy in Atlanta says:

First off… anyone that thinks this kid would not start right now in MLS is just ignorant…He grew up in the UK, has an accent and the only thing that is American about him is his passport…He is very talented and will be catching on with a Championship side… my prediction is Sheff Wed or Coventry. Also for all yout clueless ones… League 1 is just slightly below MLS on a whole but the top 6 League 1 teams would be very very decent MLS outfits… Sorry to be a prick but MLS still has a long way to go and it starts with fan support and getting teams out of cavernesss stadiums. Leeds, Nottingham Forest (two years ago), Bradford City (two years ago) Wigan (4 years ago) all played in the Prem in the recent past as well as League 1…sorry that is way more incentive than to play in the MLS…

41. Andy in Atlanta says:

Also add Hull City to that list and FYI my parentheses refer to when they played in League 1 not the prem, sorry to be confusing.

42. Andy in Atlanta says:

43. Andy in Atlanta says:

Reading, Leicester City, Stoke City… also played in League 1 in the last 7 years along withe Prem…this is not some dinky doo league with no talent, clubs get there by making financial mistakes (or in Wigans case brilliant moves) and there i plenty of talent there.

44. PetedeLA says:

I don’t know if any of you guys have real insider information, but according to soccernet: Jen Chang and I believe Ravi Ubha (sp?), Johnson does indeed consider himself American and would like to play for the US. From what I remember from what Jen Chang said, he has received calls for camps, but his schedule precluded his attendance.

I’m not making this up.

45. Barry U says:

I would like to see him stay in Europe. From some things that i have seen the Championship is probably the place he will land. MLS at his age is not an option. Why give money away for one or two years when he has played and played well in Europe his entire football life. It was crazy to see what happened to him since the club was flying and he was playing real well. Then he just goes to the bench and then doesn’t make the bench anymore. It was about the contract i am pretty sure.