F.C. New York owner meets with Borough Boys

FCNewYork2

Photo by Damion Reid/FiveBoroSports.com

BY DYLAN BUTLER

Acquista Trattoria, a quaint family-owned Italian restaurant in the shadows of St. John's University in Queens, was the scene for the first meeting between owner and supporters' group as Doug Petersen of F.C. New York, the United Soccer Leagues First Division expansion franchise in 2010, met with the Borough Boys, the previously unaffiliated New York City-based supporters' group.

A number of topics were discussed over the course of two hours, from the Borough Boys role with the club, to plans for the club's home to the possibility of joining MLS in the future.

You can read my FiveBoroSports.com story here, but here are a few highlights of the meeting and my discussion with Petersen afterward.

As he indicated at a midtown Manhattan press conference a week ago, Petersen told the supporters that Hofstra will serve as a temporary home. "We don't want to be there for more than a year or two." And while 13,000-seat Shuart Stadium allows F.C. New York to play in a facility that meets the USL-1 standards, there is nothing to stop the club from playing a number of home games inside the city limits. That includes possible home games at Belson Stadium at St. John's University, Columbia's Baker Field and Icahn Stadium on Randall's Island.

A coach and a technical staff will not be hired until the club forms a partnership with a European-based club and Petersen is currently negotiating with four different teams there. While there is no salary cap in USL-1, as is the case in MLS, don't expect F.C. New York to break the bank on players.

"We're going to do the best we can with the budget we have knowing that we have to start small," Petersen said. "It would be less than prudent to spent money unbridled because we're looking over the long term."

Petersen called the past week "berserk" and said his office has been flooded with resumes. He also indicated a "two-time member of the nationa team" knocked on his door asking to get involved. Hmm, could it be Chris Armas?

What's my take on the new team? I know there's already a war of words between the supporters of F.C. New York and the New York Red Bulls, but it's a good thing to bring another team to New York. However, I think the club would be better served finding a New York City-based home from the beginning, establishing themselves as a Big Apple team rather than play in a 13,000-seat stadium that, let's face it, isn't likely going to be half filled although I hope I'm wrong.

The perfect venue would be Belson Stadium on the campus of St. John's Univeristy. Sure it seats less than 3,000, but it's a great place to watch a game and the atmosphere would be fantastic every matchday. From there, go ahead and play select games at Icahn or Baker Field.

Enough about me, what do you guys think? Is there enough room to support two New York-based teams? Are you excited about the USL-1 coming back to New York? Do you want an Acquista Trattoria menu? Let us know.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

97 Responses to F.C. New York owner meets with Borough Boys

1. Steve B says:

Anyone have links to the different potential stadium sites with pics?

2. You are 100% right, FC New York should play within NYC from the get-go. How else can they build grass-roots support? The suburban model has failed time and time again.
    I think Columbia is the ideal spot. Easy to get to from within Manhattan, and easy for peeps from The Bronx, Upstate, CT, Queens, and North Jers as well.

What about Keyspan Park in Brooklyn? The Cyclones have no problem drawing 7,000 to Coney Island.

Starting in L.I. will doom this franchise. Again, what’s the point? It’s been tried and failed, whereas no one has tried to make it work within NYC.

3. 4now. says:

4. Charlie D says:

How can you call it a war of words between Red Bull and FCNY supporters? Its just a bunch of nerds on a soccer forum Web site, which I don’t think speak for all of the soccer communities in NJ and NY.

I believe both sides want to see two teams in this area because it a New York derby would bring attenion to our league, even from outside of the MLS. The more soccer around here, the better.

Congrats to all NYers from a NJ fan.

5. john.q says:

Beautiful. That restaurant is two blocks from my house! good food and soccer is always playing in their tv. i wonder how they felt about the framed Red Bull jersey hanging from the ceiling.

if they played a few games at St. John’s i’d come and watch. my neighborhood won’t be happy about that however, St. John’s has been getting A LOT of smack ever since they built Belson Stadium… mostly from the noise and lights at night.

6. Pete says:

PolishPete

ESC/NYCF

7. Marc Silverstein says:

Yeah, the St. Johns locals weren’t too crazed about hosting a minor-league baseball team there a few years ago for a year either. Baker Field has very little parking so I’m not sure that would work as a solution to this situation either. I still think Met Oval is the place to go…

8. Mike from linden says:

Steve B, if you go on worldstadiums.com and type in the name of any stadium you will get two pics of any stadium(as long it seats more than 10,000 people). if that doesnt work, google images isnt a bad way to do it, lol.

I have been to Belson Stadium and actually played on the field during the summer for a camp. Its a great place to play a game. Maybe FCNY can get Dr. Masur to be the coach. He is a genius.

9. yankiboy says:

As a non area resident who supports both DC United and Puerto Rico Islanders this is already getting interesting and more than a bit entertaining. Having travelled to see United play at Giants stadium, I am looking forward to adding heading up to see the Islandsers face FCNY.

Now just get the Rought Riders back up in the USL2 and you can get my money three times over so that I can travel to see Crystal Palace Baltimore play up there as well…

10. Haig says:

“Baker field is identical to Toronto FC’s and is a 5 min stroll from the 1 Train.”

11. lou says:

sure it will be great to have two new york teams to build a rivalry like the jets and giants, nets and knicks, devils and rangers but see the problem with this is that all these teams have established fans. NYRB’s attendance is always going up and down and never more than 18,000, before competition can be introduced into soccer in this area there needs to be a loyal and sufficient fan base because if not i have a feeling alot of these red bull fans are going to be jumping in between these two teams.
    FC New York should also be starting out in new york if they really want to be considered new york’s team, they critiqued what they called NJRB but than say they are going to start in a long island stadium that they will never come close to filling.
    This is a bad idea all around, knowing how fickle and picky red bull fans are (because i am one) i no many fans will leave this club for NY fc as soon as things go bad with red bulls (which seems to be all the time)
    Wait a few years, when the day comes that red bull arena is a prominent fixture and we are selling out every game and we have some big name players than by all means bring FC new york in.

12. me says:

for all of you saying i’ll be there at the first fc new york game why not instead or in addition to, go to a red bull game, god knows they are pumping enough money into this club they are paying for red bull arena with their own money and yet can’t get a bigger turn out than 14,000 people for a home opener. Where are all you soccer fans on game day for the red bulls

I hope everyone who is saying that they will go to fc new york games already goes to red bull games is essentially what i’m trying to say because to me there shouldn’t be more soccer fans in the city than their are coming to and supporting red bull and it is obvious this isn’t the case.

13. KCB says:

New York* already has a club, but good luck to FCNY anyway. Would make for an interesting US Open Cup match.

*Yes they play in Jersey, but so did the Cosmos.

14. jtd says:

15. Pleasantly Surprised says:

As a New Yorker, I take my soccer seriously. And it’s hard for me to seriously follow a team called Red Bull. I wonder if the USL has always been my league with the absence of the Real Salt Lakes and Chivas USAs, and the possible Barca Miamis and Arsenal Colorados.

Where is MLS heading?

16. Pleasantly Surprised says:

“Huh? Have you been there? It’s one stand, with one gate, the field has chain link fence on three sides, and the only concession stand twelve years ago was a trailer. And it was closed. It’s nothing like BMO Field.

It is convenient, and there are great views of but even if the one stand were filled, the place would be a tomb. ”

You’re thinking of the SSS field, not the AF field. But the BMO Field comparison is still a stretch, but a crowd equal to Red Bulls home opener wouldn’t be.

17. Brandon says:

“Ohhh please draw us in the cup ,NYCF away…would be beautifull..we would teach those non loyal/traitor fans (BB)how you really support the team.
    PolishPete
    ESC/NYCF”

Non Loyal?? to what…a corporate marketing arm of a soft drink? Out in Rutherford?
    Ya..ok…. Polish Pete….

btw, you’re NYC Firm traitors too?
    Because last time I checked, most of them still hate RedBull.

18. Jc says:

Pleasently Surprised: yeah, the USL is probably the league for you. They don’t have teams called Crystal Palace Baltimore or Real Maryland. Heck, they would never have a team called the Red Bulls since they already have the Ragin’ Rhinos.

19. DS says:

How can there be a war of words between supporters groups? How could FCNY have supporters, they don’t have players, a coach, a home stadium, a schedule, etc.???

Just because there are a handful of people who are apathetic about the Red Bulls or USL apologists doesn’t mean the new team has any kind of base.

And I agree, NJ isn’t convenient, but all of NY’s football teams play there as well. I understand not going to Giants Stadium, but the real fans should be there next year at the new park.

20. chupacabra says:

“We don’t have a coach or a technical staff – hell, we don’t even have a team, but I just pooped a golden apple this morning so at least something’s going our way!”

Oh wait – I thought this was this week’s caption contest.

21. PCFC says:

JC,

That’s USL2

22. MasterShake says:

Pleasantly Surprised you just got OWNED by JC, what do you have to say for yourself??

23. Pleasantly Surprised says:

Those aren’t the teams FC NY will be competing against. With a true academy system and eventually NYC location, I’ll take my Rhinos and Islanders thank you.

Anyone who screams “Go Red Bull” in the stands has been OWNED since 2006.

24. Aguinaga says:

Pleasantly Surprised, Red Bull owns a team and named it after itself, fact. Cheesy? Corny? Narcissistic? Most def. But can you really say corporate sponsorship on the shirts and around the arenas of every team around the world subjects supporters to any less of a narcissitic corporate marketing blitz whereby fans are pushed to buy/use/ said products? You’re talking semantics when you say OWNED when in fact the only thing OWNED is you by Shake and JC. Get over your it. ;)

25. me says:

“lou…nyfc is usl. nyrb, mls. i WILL be a few years if fcny moves to mls. in the meantime, rbny should figure out their heads from their behinds. if theyre not selling out rb stadium by then, they’ve got serious issues and deserve the local pressure of another team.”

Jtd i know that and i’m not one of the people that are always on the side of the red bulls because the management has pissed me off several times in just this past week, but for anyone to say they aren’t trying or that the fans not coming to the games is entirely their fault is being unrealistic. A team that pays for a 200 million dollar soccer stadium all by their self is obviously working hard to win the fan base over. Sure they may have the lamest marketing ideas but the lameness of that is far out shadowed by this stadium. It things still aren’t working out in a few years for red bull and they end up competing with fc new york for fans all that will happen is that their will be even worse attendance at the games. For those people saying that red bull is jersey’s team, the red bulls play in new jersey and practice in new jersey. Do you know who else does that exact same thing? The jets and giants. How is the red bulls playing in new jersey any worse than this new joke of a team playing in long island?

26. Pleasantly Surprised says:

“Red Bull owns a team and named it after itself, fact. Cheesy? Corny? Narcissistic? Most def. But can you really say corporate sponsorship on the shirts and around the arenas of every team around the world subjects supporters to any less of a narcissitic corporate marketing blitz whereby fans are pushed to buy/use/ said products?”

*Head-shake-to-slow-”face-palm”*

And the “OWNED” was a play on words. Did I really need to explain it?

USL2 =/ USL1

27. Playing at Hofstra is very shortsighted. I hope they find a way to play somewhere in the city near a dependable subway line. Otherwise, I can’t see myself supporting this club, which is a shame because I’d like an NYC team to support.

28. kpugs says:

I think the Borough Boys are a cool idea.

Having said that there is no argument here. Going to Giants stadium can be an extreme hassle to anyone living in ANY of the 5 boroughs.

BUT…there has been a local, top tier soccer team there for nearly 14 years now. If they were true fans of the sport we would be reading about them breaking off from ESC to form a new supporters’ club for the new minor league team in NYC. Instead I read that they were formed in 2007 and have gone approximately two years as a supporters’ club WHO DIDN’T SUPPORT A TEAM.

As far as I’m concerned I wish them well, and laugh at any argument to the contrary on here. Bottom line is they are a bunch of lazy bums. Put it this way, if the Red Bulls played in Queens or on Staten Island I’d still be a guy who has had season tickets since MLS existed despite living in north Jersey. The simple fact that these guys shunned a top tier local team makes me better than them.

That’s right, I said it.

29. lou says:

same kpugs well said

30. daniel says:

haha if you say so kpugs..be the sheep and follow blindly. good advice for everyone. FOLLOW YOUR LOCAL TEAM THAT YOU HAVE NO HEART FOR AND FEEL NO CONNECTION WITH! THOSE ARE TRUE SOCCER FANS! great advice

31. Pleasantly Surprised says:

Is their no “line-crossing” with Red Bull New York, or do people see that as their American soccer ceiling?

Let’s go ahead and further reiterate the stupid American soccer stereotype. You’re ruining it for all of us.

32. lou says:

daniel how are you supposed to build a relationship with the team if you don’t go to the games, at least the FO is trying in their own way but i can say the same for most of the soccer fans in this area.

33. daniel says:

lou, do you know me? i have been to RB games, even back when they were the metro stars.. i wasn’t a season ticker holder no, but i did go to games when i had the time. I never felt a connection with the club, honestly i did try..just could never get into their team..don’t call me out saying i am not a true soccer fan because i don’t go to RB games.. petty and juvenile

34. MasterShake says:

to put it frankly, you wont find heart or feel for RBNY because you DONT WANT to. you will find any excuse you can to justify yourself (Giants staidum, RB marketing..etc etc) but the truth of the matter is, you dont want to follow a team that hasn’t won anything (not like NYFC will..)..just admit that you’re all a bunch of glory seeking bandwagon riders.

Oh and btw next time you “true soccer fans” are at Emirates stadium, please let everyone there know just what kind of marketing sheep they truly are..

35. daniel says:

..when were we talking about Arsenal? that was way out of left field..but i digress…you are right mastershake..you got us.we are gory hunters who just want to see trophys in the case..wow.. case closed..you are just like Sherlock Holmes!! *clap clap clap* seriously, if RBNY already won like 4 MLS Cups..and we still formed this group.. would you even care?

36. daniel says:

I don’t tell you who to support mastershake, i would hope to find the courtesy back..obviously you are just a disgruntled RB fan..if i had a nickel for every time i met one of those..

37. NYCF original says:

Once again “polish clown” signing as NYCF .. Clearly you haven’t talked to any actual NYCF members about their feelings about FCNY ..

38. MasterShake says:

in case you didnt know daniel,Emirates stadium was named after a major ariline in the middle east.

39. daniel says:

..and what is your point…and yes i did know that.. but i don’t get your logic..if you said they changed the name of the team to Emirates Arsenal..then i would understand

40. NYCF original says:

Mastershakes clearly you have no clue about the BBs or who supports their cause.

Some (like myself) supported the Metros for many years.. Hell I think my original ESC card was numbered 017. I chose not to be a supporter of a company that came in and destroyed my team’s colors, badge and name. If you want to be a waterboy for an energy drink , go ahead. Don’t tell others who they should or shouldn’t support.

41. MasterShake says:

you’re right, that makes it ok..sorry.

42. GJJ says:

I hope they succeed. As a Chicago Fire fan, I believe that the only way we are going to get relegation and promotion in this country is if MLS has to someday merge with USL. My thinking is as follows….if USL consistently competes with MLS or even regularly beats in them in Champions League, this may lead to an NFL/AFL type merger because MLS would rather co-opt the competition than lose market share/revenue to them. At that point you would have a top league of around 40 teams and that is unworkable. MLS would be forced to figure out some way to have a first and second division…….and then we get relegation and promotion. As an MLS fan, I am really rooting for USL to improve and put MLS’s feet to the fire so our league can begin to work more like the rest of the world. My two cents from Chicago. Fantasy maybe, but not completely out of the question.

43. Reid says:

ignorant new englander here…. were the BB’s formed out of red bull taking over metro?

44. Jeff Parke, European Trialist says:

I really look forward to playing for FC New York next year, provided my boss at the car wash lets me take the time off.

45. MasterShake says:

Reid, not at all…of course they might say otherwise. but half of BB were never Metrostar fans to begin with.

46. lou says:

first of all daniel, i’ll do what i want thanks very much and secondly if you go to games and still don’t have a relationship with the club than who’s fault is it really?
    I go to the games and i don’t have that problem so what makes me and you different.
    Many teams change colors, badges, stadiums see colorado rapids as an example, whatever it doesn’t make a difference for me and many others, the fans make up the team everything else is superficial. Red bulls putting their name in front of this team is no different than let’s say best buy putting a giant advertisement on the front of chicago’s jerseys.
    You say you have met many disgruntled red bull fans, how is mastershake one? He is defending his team and opinion against you who says the team is completely different. If anything you’re the disgruntled fan.

disâ‹…grunâ‹…tled
       /dɪsˈgrʌntld/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [dis-gruhn-tld] Show IPA
    –adjective
    displeased and discontented; sulky; peevish: Her disgruntled husband refused to join us.

how does that definition fit mastershake or myself. Do you even know us? Because to me you are the one making judgment calls. You were displeased with the team, and now you are trying to find something else to suit you, ok fine, but look at the definition above and you’ll see you’re the perfect match for it not mastershake.
    Ha i’m petty and juvenile ok again there you go with the assumptions at least i know how to fit words into my arguments properly.

47. MasterShake says:

lou dont waste your time, let them have fun in USL playing somewhere out in Long Island ;)

48. lou says:

yea long island is were the “real New yorkers” are lol

49. I love it. The rivalry is already in full swing.

Signed,
    A Brooklyn resident, with RBNY season tickets, who also signed a BB petition to try and get a team in NYC.

50. sack says:

Dont care about the war of words here, but why is this news exactly? Hey Ives I’m meeting with the FO next Tuesday shall i send you the notes to post it up on the site?

Whatever, in other news i agree with them on one thing.. the name sucks and their “ethos” is an embarasment.

51. yankiboy says:

See that is what I am talking about– “Entertaining”… Like only New Yorkers (and Jersey types) can be…

“USL aoplogists”

“True fans”

“Real fans”

“Real New York Club”

“Traitors”

“Disgruntled”

“Narcisistic”

This is better than most of the shows on tv. And it is just starting…

52. lou says:

well obviously yankiboy how many other areas in this country have two different sets of teams for almost every single sport for fans to argue between

Football
    jet- giants

basketball
    nets- knicks

hockey
    devils- rangers- islanders

baseball
    yanks-mets

soccer
    red bull- the bunch of losers

i mean come on that is a lot of teams

53. yankiboy says:

lou: you guys are in a class all of your own. No doubt about it. No other place in the States can compare. Not Chi-town or LA. No place.

54. lou says:

exactly now ur getting it

55. Steve Jolley's Tinker. says:

“As a New Yorker, I take my soccer seriously.”

I’m a New Yorker, and I take you acting like a douchebag seriously. NJ has put more national team players than NY. Look it up. What does being from NY have to do with taking anything seriously? You have to be from NY to “truly” appreciate being a soccer fan? Or just being a pompous loser?

I can understand any Metro fan seeing the RB take over and going “I’m out”. I can respect that.

What I can’t respect is people who were too lazy to go to those games in the first place bellyaching about small things like transportation and lack of advertising as the reasons they didn’t go to games. All of the people on sites like this know there is a team and don’t need to be advertised to. And you can make it to GS without a car, I’ve been doing it for 6 years. There is a guy that drives to NYRB games from Virginia each week, without convenient transportation and without advertising on his block. It’s called making an effort.

So, if you have it in you to follow the team, you would do it. If you don’t, say you don’t, but making up excuses is just tiresome and self-serving. As an NYC resident without a car, I take subways & busses to get to games, up to 2 hours each way. It sucks, but if I didn’t want to follow soccer I’d just take the subway 7 stops and go to Yankee games instead. As someone who takes my soccer seriously though, I make an effort.

Thought so.

56. yankiboy says:

Thought so.

Posted by: Steve Jolley’s Tinker

——————————————–

That is not the worst thing in the life of a US soccer fan that can happen.

Hey, I support a club named Crystal Palace Baltimore so the name thing and affiliation isn’t always so bad…It’s worked out pretty ok for us down here in Charm City (where the club actually plays 2 miles outside of the city limits…)

It definitely can have it’s benefits…

I got over the name thing pretty darn fast.

57. chupacabra says:

The situation is kinda like this:

Some millionaire decides he wants to go into the movie business. While searching online for ideas he comes across a web petition signed by some disgruntled Star Wars fans about what they thought should have happened in Revenge of the Sith. The millionaire then announces plans to make a film based on those complaints for about a tenth of a typical George Lucas budget, and instead of debuting the movie in theaters it will be shown on Youtube. Then Cuba Gooding Jr. sends the millionaire a resume hoping to land a starring role.

58. lou says:

um ok… *cricket cricket, nervous clap and cough in the background*

59. MasterShake says:

this whole conversation is amusing.

basically I agree with Steve Jolley’s Tinker

60. Zoti says:

I’ve been supporting the Metros since ’97 and over the years I’ve taken so much flack from my friends for supporting a team which they believe plays subpar soccer in a subpar league.

The best part about supporting the team has been sitting with ESC. I’m pretty exicted about the new stadium and will definitely consider buying season tix even though I might not be able to make it to all of the games.

Having said all that I was pretty disgusted by the RB namechange and I don’t see myself ever getting over that. I will keep supporting the team until a rival TriState area team comes into the league. I don’t care where they play, actually I’d prefer if they played at the new RB stadium alla Chivas USA.

61. Fabio says:

WE DESERVES AND WANT THE MLS BY 2012 !!!!!!

62. Pleasantly Surprised says:

There have been 2 or 3 posts referencing me so let me address them.

“As a New Yorker, I take my soccer seriously.”

I am a New Yorker and I take my soccer seriously. Do we need to dissect that statement into philosophical jargon of “What’s NY or What’s NJ?” You can fight yourself but I said nothing that you said. How do I respond to someone fighting him/herself?

For all the fools who keep saying that I didn’t support the Metros simply don’t know me and are fighting some figment of their imagination. I believe all the Jersey Red Bull fans think people who want FC New York are people who didn’t follow the Metro and are lazy. This is who you want to fight and who you will never see…because that’s not me and definitely not what I posted above.

I went on that lonely Port Authority bus and even recently (disgracefully after the Red Bull takeover) that NJ Transit to Bus crap. The Metro jersey in my closet is testament to it. The tickets with my pops and the traveling to DC for a game show the love that I had. Why can’t people see that a team of true football identity is what people want? Not some marketing ploy. I know season-ticket holders of the Energy drink that are calling for this team. Many of the RB fans will be at the games (I believe). What I am trying to say:

Even with a USL team, in a stadium (not including the inevitable NYC fields) that is equally as far away as Giants Stadium, I’ll take FC New York. What are you so scared about??! If you are in a league of your own, with a brand-new stadium, what competition can a small-business-type club have against a SuperCorporation like Red Bull? Financially nothing…Identity….well…I take my soccer seriously.

63. John says:

As an avid NY soccer fan:

Supporting the “Red Bulls” is a joke – supporting FC NY is not.

Put them in Flushing and every game will sell-out, Toronto style.

I would not mind if the Red Bulls would still be called the Metrostars. But people are cheering on what is essentially a commercial for an energy drink. Ridiculous. And you do know eventually Red Bull will get tired of owning such a dead team and sell them to Rockstar Energy Drink or something. Go Rockstars!

64. MVK says:

too bad you guys cant own handguns to settle this dispute

65. him says:

oh yes pleasantly surprised, “what competition can a small-business-type club have against a SuperCorporation like Red Bull? Financially nothing…Identity….well…I take my soccer seriously.”
    That is rite because a giant company like red bull owns this team that must mean that the team doesn’t take soccer seriously. I mean obviously an ownership group that payed for a new training facility, stadium, and camps to recruit talent in south america all with their own money must not be taking this whole soccer thing seriously. All the fans that bust their ass to get to a decrepit old stadium must not take this team seriously.
    No actually the only person that doesn’t take this team seriously is people like you.
    Cut the cute little metaphors they don’t make u sound smart, no in fact they make u sound like a pompous idiot. Oh boy you felt betrayed when this company bought old metro, let me ask you something what stadium did metro build for us fans, if i am recollecting correctly than the answer is none.
    This team is as serious as you want it to be, i guess you like watching a franchise that you said yourself you grew up watching die and scramble for a solid fan base. Why can’t the majority of the old metro fans just get over it and except this team, i’m not going to lie i was pissed when red bull bought this team, but i have to except what i’m given and move on, i love this game far to much to allow an energy drink company “ruin” the experience.
    Look don’t support the team fine, move on to a new franchise that will probably end up getting a giant company slogan plastered on the front of their jersey, by that point you will be to consumed to realize there isn’t much of a difference between that and the name Red Bull New York. Travel to friggen long island, have a gay ol time, hell even wear your old metro jersey, i really don’t care anymore if you’re not going to be able to except what you already have than i guess that is your only option.
    But while your busy doing all of that i’ll be at the brand new stadium, watching hopefully world class soccer, and (knock on wood) winning some trophies all of which metro was never able to accomplish

66. NYCF original says:

Not really much of a rivalry .. just a few Energy Drink NJ who are obsessed with the BBs.

67. Pleasantly Surprised says:

This is why I don’t like doing these kinds of forum battles. People simply don’t know how to read and are linking me to something I never said.

I don’t care what Red Bull takes seriously. I don’t care what you take seriously. I don’t care if you were pissed about RB, got over it, and take what is given to you (this is a fundamental difference between us). Listen to this:

I take MY soccer seriously.

You can write a Ph.D dissertation about what Red Bull takes seriously. Red Bull could build a massive stadium. They could build Camp Nou for all that matters. They can sign Cristiano Ronaldo to a $1 Billion contract.

I still take my soccer seriously. And chanting for some marketing ploy is not what loyal football is about. Go to RBA. Sign a second DP. A true academy system where young kids can potentially go directly to the pros, an intimate SSS in NYC borders, a culture that I fell in love with when I went to my first roofed 12,000 cap stadium in Europe. Take Red Bull if you want. All this tense forum-posting makes me wonder why you have to defend yourself when you have a + in all categories…well except an important one. And that’s identity. I’ll take FC.

68. NYCF original says:

Pleasantly Surprised .. You could not have put that any better.. I agree 100%.

69. him says:

haha u just keep repeating yourself, ok i got it u want “identity” you “take your soccer seriously” although i’m beginning to doubt that more and more.
    What kind of passionate, “serious”, soccer fan would decide they are going to desert a team simply because they changed ownership. It is apparent that Red Bull doesn’t have an a+ in all categories because you would have to be kidding yourself to believe we could beat the best talent in the world, and obviously no one ever said we could, well that is except you pleasantly surprised ” All this tense forum-posting makes me wonder why you have to defend yourself when you have a + in all categories.”
    If you’re the type of fan this team lost when they switched over from metro to RB than fine i guess we can’t handle all you “serious” soccer fans. Go to your mickey mouse team, i’ll be here with a team that is hopefully GOING somewhere while you still wait and wonder were exactly your team is GOING to play.
    Ha “I don’t care if you were pissed about RB, got over it, and take what is given to you” so apparently your essentially a grown up baby who had his feelings hurt. You sure are putting all your eggs into one basket before they are hatched because who is to say that this fc new york or new york fc or whatever isn’t going to just be a money hungry chauvinistic team like you claim red bull is?
    And again *move on to a new franchise that will probably end up getting a giant company slogan plastered on the front of their jersey, by that point you will be to consumed to realize there isn’t much of a difference between that and the name Red Bull New York*
    And again ur golden rule that you keep repeating and ended you last master piece with “well except an important one. And that’s identity. I’ll take FC. ” Would you say you formed who you were going to be in 3 years? No of course not you weren’t even in school by age 3. How than can you except a team that u deserted at day 1 to have had an identity? What if after you were born your parents just decided they were going to leave and wait for the next baby to come along because they didn’t like the identity their 1 day old started out with? Now this may not be the best of analogies but it is obvious what my point is, but any way i hope ur new team has the real great identity you want them to have because we wouldn’t want them angering you in any way and than you leaving them for the next club now would we?

70. garbaggio says:

They should sign that Messi kid.

71. him says:

yea garbaggio i heard he was pretty decent

72. Sterlinho says:

I used to live on Long Island and getting to the Meadowlands was a pain in the butt and it took all day. I would have loved for FCNY to have been there during that time in order to attend games on a more regular basis. With that said, I still would have supported both NY teams because the Metros were in MLS. It won’t be that big of a rivalry until the Red Bulls get relegated USL1;)

73. RS says:

@ pleasantly surprised:

“There have been 2 or 3 posts referencing me so let me address them.

“As a New Yorker, I take my soccer seriously.”

I am a New Yorker and I take my soccer seriously. Do we need to dissect that statement into philosophical jargon of “What’s NY or What’s NJ?”"

I am a native New Jerseyan, and I take the English language seriously. As such, I understand the difference between “As a New Yorker, I take my soccer seriously” and “I am a New Yorker, and I take my soccer seriously.” The former implies that it is obvious that New Yorkers, in particular, take their soccer seriously. Of course, to more accurately reflect the underlying sentiment there, we should rewrite it to say, “As a New Yorker, I take being pretentious seriously.”

74. RS says:

Am I missing something, or hasn’t the core rationale for having a team within the formal city limits been mooted by the fact that Red Bull Arena will be easily accessible via the Path?

I know there are still some inane reasons that people are citing (corporate ownership/sponsorship, team used to be bad, etc.), but the inaccessibility argument seems pretty irrelevant now.

75. him says:

exactly RS, the major reason is null and void so now people like pleasently surprised are trying to find new even more childish reasons

76. Edison Arantes do Nascimento says:

People used to flock to see myself and Giorgio play in that old swamp, and now so many of you crybabies won’t go out there because of a name change.

Giorgio, I haven’t heard from you in awhile, what do you think of these “serious” minded people, seriously?

77. Jeff says:

First off for those of you saying you take your soccer seriously, if you really took it seriously you would call it what the rest of the world calls it: Football.

Secondly New York Metro area is HUGE. If you cannot support an MLS team and a USL team than you guys really do stink.

MLS is the top league in this country, but it is only slightly better than USL which is better than the average second division. A rivalry is what both teams need and this is quite frankly entertaining.

A great derby never hurt anyone. Should be a great USOC match in 2010.

But pleeeeeeeeeeeeze call it football not SUCKER!

78. Jc says:

Pleasantly Surprised: USL 1 and USL 2 are the same thing, hate to break it to you. There are no different rules or age restrictions (which is why I didn’t include the PDL) the only difference is that salaries are higher in USL 1. If you like the USL that is fine, I have no problem with that. You support local soccer and that is ultimately the important thing. But don’t diss another league and then hide behind the “well USL 2 isn’t the same as USL 1″. If Real Maryland moved up to USL 1 do you think the parent organization would say “you need to change your name”? No, they could care less. That is the reason you have Rhinos and RailHawks and Aztex in USL 1.

79. Scott A says:

Jeff, please. Italians call it calcio, the Japanese mostly call it sakkā, places like the Philippines, Canada and Australia call it soccer, Dutch call it voetbal, in some countries in the Balkans it’s called nogomet. If you’re going to be a snob at least be a snob with good reason

80. Scott A says:

And there are plenty of other examples of countries who don’t call it football. What’s the big deal

81. PCFC says:

“him”

no one can read your posts. You’re just too stupid

82. PCFC says:

83. Mick says:

How about this…instead of you RedBull clowns menstruating over the Borough Boys and how much you are all hypocrites for looking down upon people for supporting a USL-1 team. (I guess you are supposed to support only “certain” local teams), why don’t you take this time to work on increasing your own numbers and making your own news.
    Oh..and how about worrying about when your precious “top flight” team will win a game.

84. B says:

“And, all of this is talk of integrity, honor and marketing idealism is pretty effing MOOT, considering that “Further from Manhattan FC”‘s owner just telegraphed that he’s trying to sell the naming rights to the team to a European club as a branding exercise. Which of the serious New Yorkers, hard core citiphiles and NYCF guys are down for shouting “NYC Magpies!” each weekend?

Thought so.

Posted by: Steve Jolley’s Tinker.”

wow..you have no clue what your talking about. Talking to the European club is not about naming rights, it’s about forming a relationship that is mutual beneficial to the club insofar as our academy. Since FCNY will have a functioning academy, we get to do something that the RedBull academy and franchise can’t….actually make money off selling their players. So being linked to a European club is a relationship with a club that let’s that them have a leg up on the competetion in trying to sign one of our academy players.
    So… don’t sit behind a computer and talk sh*t you have no information on.

85. him says:

“I can’t believe there are people flocking to a team called “Red Bull New York” and are calling me too lazy when I am willing to be a season ticket holder for a USL team which is more “out of the way” and has soo much less money than Red Bull. What part of true football don’t you get? Give me FC New York with not-so-rich owners!”

PCFC, Yeah i’m definitely the stupid one. You obviously read my posts so i don’t no why you’re saying im to stupid to respond to.
    I couldn’t care less if you’re lazy, and actually i never directly addressed you instead i addressed pleasently surprised. If i was talking to you, than you should realize that ur not lazy ur actually just a giant hypocrite.
    Oh i like my soccer serious, i don’t like these naming rights, blah blah blah, if u took ur soccer seriously you wouldn’t have allowed a stupid name to come between u and the sport u apparently love so much. But u did let it come between u and the sport and so failed to realize how hard red bull is trying to make this club work, much harder than metro ever did.
    It is a friggen name ok a name… what is so bad about a name, like i said earlier teams change their logos, sponsers, stadiums, and colors all the time but for some reason u took it as a personal offense against u.
    Everyone is trying to argue that red bull is using this team to sell drinks, well you know what there are two things i see wrong with that statement.
    1. I guarentee u that the amount of red bull the company has sold becuase of this team is vastly out weighted by the amount of money the ownership is pumping into the club to make it all work.
    2. Any sponser u every see on the front of a jersey or stadium be it emirates, amway, best buy, whatever are receiving the same “benefits” that red bull are and at least they aren’t responsible for keeping an unlucky team afloat with their own money.

Red Bull took on the history of old metro which i thought was a good move on their part. And i still have not received an answer on how let’s say a team like chicago that has a giant best buy logo on the front of their jerseys that everyone sees whenever they look at the fire is any different than a team being named red bull. If you took half the time u did answering my comments instead of just disregarding them like a child than maybe u wud be on the road towards acting like an adult.

86. Zoti says:

Posted by: him | April 10, 2009 at 11:13 AM

“a friggen name”??? What if Red Bull sold the team and the stadium next year to Tampax, you’d support a team called NY Tampax if they won the MLS, CONCACAF CL and the World Club Cup every year? Nothing will ever come between you and your soccer? Where would you personally draw the line?

87. Pete says:

couple of things …fist of all “Originall NYCF” the NYCF crew fall a part ,and when we wanted to talk to you guys no one did really wanted to sit down .And Caling me a clown well at least you know who Am I ,ask some of your old mates and they will know.So if you think i am a clown you can find me very easy lets try this ORIGINAL.and kiss your husban goodnight.

Many of you that left after RB bought out the team didnt sold out Metro ,b/c Metro die that day,you betrayed you fellow fans ESC…its the loyalty to ESC than to RB or Metro,it was your easy way so running away from what was terible frenshise …for me it dosnt matter if they win or lose its my team.Honestlly cant wait for RBNY to play FCNY in game that means something.I will go see FCNY play so i will know who came out of closet.Those that hate my team…great i hope that you bring so much passion to the game that we do in ESC…

And another thing if i am not mistaking METRO was as a name of a big corporation wasnt it..huh

PolishPete

ESC/NYCF

88. him says:

zoti ur an idiot red bull is a little different than the name tampax. Red Bull is an anergy company and maybe ur not aware of this but tampax is not. No one would support a team named tampax and i think that is fairly obvious, ur just trying to be humorous and proove a point but u failed. U have my word though zoti the day tampax buys our team i will find a new team i will seriously consider leaving the team, but because that will never happen i won’t go and worry about it. Zoti that was really weak at best, and still no one has answered my question

U tried to prove something weak and completely skipped the actual question because u can’t answer it, as for polish pete i feel the same way man i would no betray my fellow fans i will remain loyal to the club through thick and thin, if u all that r going on to support ny fc can’t except or realize that than you all will be a sorry excuse for a fan base.

89. Zoti says:

Posted by: her | April 10, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Ok my example may have been a little too extreme but just so I get this straight you’re saying you’ll support NY Gatorade or NY Pepsi if Pepsi were to buy the team next year? What I’m trying to find out is where would you draw the line personally cause I drew it at the first corporate name change.

I have no problem whatsoever with the Red Bull ownership as long as the Metro name had remained intact. I am still supporting the team and the league today (as a matter of fact I just bought two jerseys from last year at the local TJ Maxx). I was at Nevada’s for the Seattle match. I couldn’t make the home opener due to certain obligations but my brother and his Polish friends attended.

However, the name change has left a bitter taste to me that I don’t think I can ever get over. If MLSNY2 ever becomes a reality I’m considering bailing out on the team.

90. Bay2Burgh2Borough says:

First off a good amount of BB weren’t in the city when the RBNY takeover happened, but almost every BB has a different reason to support the cause.

As for Emirates, all ive heard about it is that the atmosphere is better at Nevada Smiths, this coming from a few Gooners who went over for a couple matches. So don’t bring Arsenal up as a bastion of fierce Hardcore support as those guys were priced out after the move from Highbury.

Also I think it is important that the team eventually plays games in the city although i will support them either way as my objection to the RB is the corp. side of it.

Lastly for those of you who care about what city or state the team is located in… using the Cosmos played in NJ argument is beside the point because the cosmos like the Giants and the Jets had a history of playing in the city, unlike the metro or the redbulls. Cosmos called randall’s Island and Yankee stadium home before heading across the hudson.

91. voice of reason says:

This is probably one of the funniest chain of comments I’ve read in a while. Let’s look at the facts:

1. RBNY = MLS, FCNY = USL
    2. RNBY = NJ, FCNY = Long Island

Tell me, did the MetroStars and Rough Riders have a rivalry? So what rivalry are we talking about here? They’ll be lucky if they draw each other in the Open Cup once every five years.

To the guy who said that FCNY will pack the stadium like Toronto if they play in the city, I think you nailed it on the head. The Toronto Lynx averaged just below 2,000 fans in the USL. St. John’s stadium should look packed with that crowd. New York is a major league town, they’ll accept this team the same way they accepted the Centaurs. NYCF could shed more light on that.

To ‘Pleasantly Surprised’, I agree that using Real or Chivas is stupid, but talking about pot calling the kettle black, you’re all for supporting a team that could be confused with playing the pointy ball game.

And last but not least, let’s not count all the chickens before they hatch. The only way FCNY survives in the long term is if they build a stadium. And honestly, if they’re seriously talking about NYC, they’re not going to survive. Most likely you’ll see this team stay on Long Island.

92. Scott A says:

Yeah Pete, thanks for bringing up the fact that Metro was also the name of a corporation. How quickly people forget facts. For the uninformed: Subotnick and Kluge were executives at Metromedia—that’s where the name comes from. So, Zoti, I’ll reverse the question to you…where do YOU draw the line on corporate names?

93. PCFC says:

I never went to the store and had to chose if I am going to buy “Metro.”

94. Jon says:

Please god, you better sell out red bull arena. If you don’t, all your excuses are gone

95. Tim F. says:

awful location; will not attend games in Hempstead.

96. Zoti says:

Posted by: Scott A | April 11, 2009 at 04:37 AM

Good question Scott, I drew the line at Metromedia and I would have never rooted for NY Metromedia. Not to mention that Metromeida is a holding company that doesn’t peddle one lone product unlike Red Bull which is universally associated with the one energy drink it sells. If the Red Bulls had rebranded the team into the NY Reds or NY Bulls then your Metromedia argument could hold some water.
    I was never e fan of the name Metrostars let alone the hideous NY/NJ Metrostars. This has been discussed ad nauseam on pretty much every board. But i grew to love the Metro name.
    Also, Metromedia didn’t name the team after its corporate name, didn’t put the name of its corporate on the team logo and didn’t plaster the front of the jersey with its logo.
    I mean how much does Red Bull has to remind everyone that they own this team?

97. pele says:

I really think the soccer world is being bamboozled by this swindler Petersen and no good will come of this.