Confederations Cup: Projecting the USA roster

USABeatsMexico (ISIphotos.com)

Photo by ISIphotos.com

It might seem like it's still far away, but the U.S. national team is just about a month away from holding training camp ahead of a loaded June calendar, a calendar that includes World Cup qualifiers and the Confederations Cup.

Consider the list of opponents in South Africa: Brazil, Italy and Egypt, a trio of very tough and very dangerous teams.

With that in mind, I recently wrote a piece for ESPN.com projecting the U.S. roster for the Confederations Cup. There are still a few weeks before a squad will be named, and plenty can happen between now and then such as injuries, but here is the 23-man squad I projecthead coach Bob Bradley to be calling in for the Confederations Cup, which the U.S. begins on June 15th vs. Brazil:

Projected USA Confederations Cup roster

• Goalkeepers- Tim Howard,Brad Guzan, Marcus Hahnemann

• Defenders- Carlos Bocanegra, Oguchi Onyewu, Frankie Hejduk, Jay DeMerit, Dan Califf, Jonathan Spector, Michael Parkhurst, Jonathan Bornstein.

• Midfielders- Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, DaMarcus Beasley, Jose Francisco Torres, Pablo Mastroeni, Maurice Edu, Sacha Kljestan, Freddy Adu

• Forwards- Landon Donovan, Brian Ching, Jozy Altidore, Charlie Davies

If there are two issues with this roster it is the dearth of fullback and wing midfield options. I could certainly see Bradley dropping one of the central defenders and bringing one more fullback (such as Heath Pearce, Marvell Wynne or Michael Orozco). Steve Cherundolo's recent hip surgery make it seem very unlikely that he will be ready in time for this tournament.

The wing midfield issue isn't as dramatic because Donovan and Davies can play on the flanks in a pinch and there just aren't that many other flank options (Robbie Rogers has been dealing with a hamstring injury, leaving Jeremiah White as someone who I think might merit consideration.

What do you think of this roster? What players are missing that you feel should be on the roster? Which players made our cut that you feel shouldn't have? What do you think of the U.S. team's chances at the Confederations Cup?

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

89 Responses to Confederations Cup: Projecting the USA roster

1. For starters; Klinsmann as the trainer.

2. Kyle says:

Der Amerikanische Kaiser
    it should just be Klinsmann for coach

3. Wispy says:

I think this looks about right, Ives. I can’t see Pearce making this roster, especially since Boca can play LB in a pinch. The only difference I think we may see is EJ over Davies (not saying I agree with it, just saying we might see it).

4. brad says:

Ives, gotta bring Wynne. He has a lot of upside.. We know what the rest of the guys bring to the table…

5. LittleRockAnt says:

I think you’re right Wispy…If we know Bradley he won’t try a new face.

6. brant says:

I think the key here is to construct the Confederations Cup roster as your top dogs, and let the non-automatic starters strut their stuff in the Gold Cup, or in the qual rounds after we clinch.

The Confederations Cup team needs to show that we can really play, and you don’t audition up-and-coming talents there. That’s why, as much as I’d love to see Chad Marshall ahead of Califf, I’m not going to stress it, b/c Marshall should get a look during the Gold Cup. Marvell Wynne plays in the Gold Cup this year; Frankie’s earned his Confed berth.

7. Ryan says:

Here’s the 11 I’d like to see start (4-1-2-3):

Howard

Hejduk Bocanegra Onyewu Beasley

Bradley

Dempsey Torress

Davies Donovan Altidore

I know Bob would never even fathom putting 5 attack minded players up front, but I’m allowed to dream right?

I mean we’re gonna be playing two top five teams in Brazil and Italy and the toughest team in Africa in Egypt so I figure we might as well throw all of our firepower and skill up front and give it a go.

Maybe it’s the Barca fan in me but I just feel that if we’re gonna be going up against quality competition we should at least make an attempt to play some free flowing attacking football instead of just hoping for success on set pieces.

8. Chase says:

I like your projects Ives, though personally I’d love to see Califf out, in favor of Wynne or Orozco.

Otherwise its a pretty strong team. It will be interesting to see how they fair.

9. Kyle – Open your horizons to world football language. In Germany and many countries in Europe, it’s “trainer.”

10. Isaac says:

Kaiser,

I love your comments BTW.

Maybe we could drop Pablo and play Landon in midfield and call in Kenny. I’m neutral on wanting it to happen or not but there is a chance. If Bradley sees the lack of depth at the forward spot to be a pressing matter, than sure. If Bradley see’s the need fore a veteran presence in central midfield/defense than thats up to him. This is also a tournament we can be a bit more flexible in. We may see this,

————-Altidore—–Dempsey———-

–Donovan—————————–Adu–

————Bradley——Torres————

–Beasley—-Bocanegra—Onyewu—-Hejduk–

——————-Howard——————

I think that this lineup exposes our field to alot of different styles of attack. We can cut inside with Donovan-Adu and leave the flanks to Hejduk-Beasley, We could play the long ball with Bocanegra-Onyewu. If we keep our options open in terms of the attack we will eventually find a weak point in the opponents defense.

11. Reid says:

I wish he would leave demerit, parkhurst, and adu back for gold cup. BB has shown he doesnt want to play them, so atleast give them some minutes on the B team instead of riding pine on the A team.

Don’t get me wrong i would like to see all three up on the A-team playing, but when they do get up there bob doesn’t play them (adu somewhat exception)

12. brant says:

My brother once had an interesting take on our roster – put Beasley, Donovan, EJ, Wynne, Davies, and every other speedster we can put our hands on out there together. We might not win, and we might not play great, but whatever mistakes we make, we’ll make at Mach 2, and not at 2mph…

13. RLW2020 says:

almost no mls players.. should not have much of an impact on the summer season, except houston and chivas. hopefully klinsman can find a spot on the team, but i think bradley is doing a fine job.

14. Brant – How dare you. Soccer is all about having a real strategy, not some suicide mission.

15. Tim F. says:

I thought Pearce would get selected.

16. Isaac says:

—————–Altidore——————

Beasley—————————–Donovan

————Bradley——Edu—————

——————Torres——————-

Bornstein—Bocanegra——-Onyewu—Hejduk

experiments.

17. Tim – Wake up and smell the coffee. Pearce has some HW to do.

18. Isaac says:

So our B-Team roster would look like this

——————Altidore—————–

Kljestan———–Torres—————Adu

—————Bradley—–Edu————-

Bornstein—–Califf—-DeMerit—–Spector

——————–Guzan——————

19. Strider says:

I have difficulty understanding why some of you are so stuck on Adu. I believe he has potential, but it has to be developed and that AIN’T happening at Monaco. With no playing time how do you just plug him into the Nats? My biggest concern for the Confed Cup is will Jozy be back up to speed yet after his toe surgery.

20. Nate says:

I think Beasley would get exposed too much starting at left back against the likes of Italy, Brazil, and Egypt. Boca has been doing a good job at left back for Rennes. What I would like to see (provided Spector can ever get healthy) is…

———–Altidore———-Ching———–

———————Torres——————-

Dempsey——————————-Donovan

——————–Bradley——————

Boca——–Spector——–Gooch——-Hejduk

———————Howard——————

Ching worked great as a target man with Altidore. Altidore needs someone to run off of because that is when he’s most effective.

21. Effmanny says:

Eventually Bobby Convey will need to be put back into the mix.

22. Isaac says:

OK but seriously the real lineup in my opinion is this

————-Altidore—Ching————–

Donovan——-Bradley—–Edu——-Dempsey

Bornstein—–Bocanegra—Onyewu—–Hejduk

———————Howard—————-

23. JL says:

So this is something that has bothered me for awhile, and maybe those smarter than I can explain. What does Califf offer that Marshall doesn’t? I have always found Califf to be lumbering and terrible with the ball at his feet. I think Marshall is better in the air, and with the ball at his feet, and probably equal speed wise. To my eye the difference is Califf went to the pseudo Euro leagues of Scandanvia. I would also like to see Beasley stop getting calls until he finds some playing time, because every game I have seen him play over the last year, he looks very rusty. But I guess have left foot, will travel.

24. Rekro says:

Replace Davies with Cooper….

25. NJsoccer says:

In my opinion it would be good to put Boca at leftback but the only suitable replacement in the center is Spector. If he’s healthy for the confed cup then the lineup I want to see is the same as Nate’s. I would like to see Adu as a sub but the thing is apparently he won’t play in the wing which is currently the only place he will play. It might be better to leave him back for the gold cup.

26. Jamie Z. says:

I think you’re right Wispy…If we know Bradley he won’t try a new face.

Posted by: LittleRockAnt | April 27, 2009 at 04:01 PM

_____________________________________________

Absolutely! Because, you know, we’re still trotting out the same old lineup we used in 2006.

Sheesh.

27. kc says:

Anyone heard anything about TV coverage for this tournament?
    It is usually FSC but I have not seen anything yet.

28. Isaac says:

I like the central midfield combo of Bradley-Edu more than Bradley Torres because both of them are:

1. Athletically gifted

2. Large

3. able to create and destroy

With the other central midfield combos we were looking for polar opposite central midfielders. Bradley is a central midfielder that while he is able to defend well, he can display the technical ability on the offense. For example, the brace against Mexico, he not only did well on both goals, but he stifled the Mexican attack and covered loads of ground. Edu has the edge in terms of finesse and passing but really his defensive game matches perfectly with Bradley’s. I just feel that if we get two central midfielders that can play well on all thirds of the field we can dominate posession more.

29. Mingjai says:

Hmm…

The more I think about it, the more I actually like the Christmas Tree for the US:

———————-Ching———————-

———–Donovan——Altidore———–

—-Torres——-Bradley——-Dempsey—-

–Beasley–Bocanegra–Onyewu–Hejduk–

———————-Howard———————

I would have Dempsey and Donovan switch periodically to keep the defenders on their toes. Plus I think Dempsey and Torres might complement each other well with quick short passes.

30. Jamie Z. says:

That’s a reasonable projection, by the way. I would drop Califf, personally, in favor of Wynne for some depth at right back. Spector and DeMerit should provide plenty of depth at centerback.

Although I have a sneaking suspicion Bradley would omit DeMerit before Califf.

31. JS says:

What about Chris Wingert? He can prove to be just as dangerous in getting up the flank as Hejduk.

32. sean monaghan says:

hahahahaha

chris wingert?

WOW.

33. Jim Steverson says:

I’m not sure which is the better option this summer for someone wanting to play their way onto the WC10 roster – a reserve slot for the Confederations Cup or extensive playing time at the Gold Cup.

I tend to think that some of the youngsters not getting playing time with their clubs (Adu, Edu, Guzan)would be better served actually seeing a USMNT pitch this summer as opposed to riding pine in South Africa.

I don’t think the Confederations Cup roster needs to be a preview of the WC10 roster. Some simply need to play and those opportunities will be far more plentiful at the Gold Cup….

34. A.S. says:

I think that another RB is necessary.

As far as I can tell, with Ives’ roster, the depth cart at LB includes perhaps up to FOUR players: Beasley, Bornstein, Spector, Bocanegra. However, the depth chart at RB is only two-deep: Hejduk and Spector. (Can any of the others credibly play RB? I don’t think so.) I would prefer to be three-deep at Fullback on each side.

Additionally, this roster is 6-deep at Center Back (all the backs except Hejduk and Bornstein can play Center Back). You don’t need to be 6-deep anywhere; 5-deep at Center Back is plenty. You’ll never get to play your 6th string Center Back.

35. ThaDeuce says:

Beckerman over Sacha

36. ThaDeuce says:

Orozco over Pearce
    Simek over Califf

37. A.S. says:

Just out of curiousity, what are the L-Mid and R-Mid depth charts for Ives’ roster?

L-Mid: Donovan, Beasley, Torres(?), Dempsey(?)

R-Mid: Dempsey, Donovan, Adu(?), Klejsten(?)

As for Davies, have we seen him ANYWHERE for the National Team (or U-XX teams) other than Forward? I don’t think so. I doubt Bradley would play him on the wing if he’s never played there for the team before.

38. ThaDeuce says:

———–Altidore———-Ching———–

———————Torres——————-

Dempsey——————————-Donovan

——————–Bradley——————

Boca——–Spector——–Gooch——-Hejduk

———————Howard——————

Posted by: Nate | April 27, 2009 at 04:33 PM

I got to say Nate, this one is hard to disagree with. However, I expect we will see, and hope for because we will not see Spector starting so your roster is just a beautiful dream, the way we finished the last game we played when we started scoring.

—————-Ching————————-

—————————Altidore————

Donovan——————————-Dempsey

—————-Torres——-Bradley————-

Beasley—————Bocanegra————-Hejduk

———————-Gooch——————–

———————Howard——————–

In your line up it does make since to put Donovan on the right, because the only reason to put him on the left is to play with Beasley. I love having the speed there with Beasley, but he will get torn apart against Brazil, Italy, and Egypt. Its fine for qualifying, but we must put someone like Boca out there on the left. The problem with that is it is too late to rebuild a center duo tandem like gooch boca, and we need that leadership and chemistry in the middle. So we are in quite a conundrum. I guess the most likely thing we will do is leave Beas out there and just hope for the best….Risky, but it does have offensive advantages that just might neutralize the weaknesses….
    Or we could just put Orozco back there at left back, keep our middle duo, and hope for heyduk or dolo to heal up quickly!
    I think that is better than breaking up the boca gooch tandem. trying beasley first, and if he can’t handle it, putting orozco or bornstein out there. beasley will be perfectly capable in world cup qualifying though.

Ching must be up top, he sets up all of our goals.

I really really hope Torres will start to get the starting role besides Bradley.

I love having Donovan on the wing, I think his style of attacking play and his speed suit him out there, and obviously his understanding with Ching and beasley make him very dangerous.

39. ThaDeuce says:

I can’t believe we have two more months to speculate! WooHOo, I love soccer.

40. ThaDeuce says:

Sacha’s defense just isn’t good enough to be a starter in the midfield. people just run around him. I’d put Edu, Mastroeni, Beckerman, and Clark ahead of him in the depth.

41. ThaDeuce says:

so to make it a full 23:
    Forwards:Cooper, Davies
    Midfield: Edu, Mastroeni, Beckerman, Adu for subbing on the wing
    Defenders: Cherundolo if healthy, Spector if healthy, Bornstein, Orozco, Simek
    Keeps: Guzan,

42. ThaDeuce says:

oh, and as far as our chances, I will be screaming and cheering for an upset, but I think our chances are pretty easy to predict. 0-3.

43. ThaDeuce says:

We won’t make it out of the group stage.

44. ThaDeuce says:

Sacha can also sub on the wing, the only reason to bring adu or sacha is for depth on the wings… not ideal, but in case of injuries they are something.

45. NateinSF says:

There’s no reason to put Bornstein at left back over Beasley. I feel like Bornstein has the same qualities as Beasley, he’s just not as good at any of them. Beasley will get injured, you can bet on that. So the real question is, who will replace Beasley once he goes down…

46. Freddy says:

Cory Gibbs and Jimmy Conrad in for Jay DeMerit and Dan Califf.

47. JWM says:

Count me among those increasingly impressed with Marshall. He already offers more than Califf, and probably DeMerit. I like Spector as a wing back.

48. Alex says:

What Italian team are you guys watching? this isn’t 2006 when they won on PK’s. They aren’t invincible, they are old and beatable. The number one part of the game that is missing for this team is swagger, belief that they can beat anyone, who cares if you can or can’t but if you don’t believe in yourself the games over before it starts. I think we’ll do very well actually it will be Hot better for us, its not in europe better for US.

49. CapeCodFutbol says:

Cooper might get a shot in the gold cup; I hope to heck he doesn’t appear in south africa.

Should be a good challenge, I’m looking forward to it.

50. sucram89 says:

i know this is off topic but will the gold cup be televised in the US? if it is who will be broadcasting?

51. sucram89 says:

nevermind that last comment Fox soccer channel will be showing it.

52. CapeCodFutbol says:

Also, if Feilhaber starts to get more time, he should go to the gold cup too. He does well in that, and he’ll be plenty rested.

53. NJsoccer says:

Edu is getting frequent time with his club now, usually starter and all 90 minutes. He should be in confed cup imho. I still like a Torres Bradley combo but depending on the opponent there may need to be a more defensive minded or offensive minded combination in the middle. All of the center mid options I’m good with. I agree with the other posters that dropping a centerback option and adding more fullback options would be a better idea. The Ching-Altidore combination up top is crucial so if Altidore isn’t healthy in time we’re screwed. For defense Spector is very important as well in case Beas doesn’t have enough experience but if he’s not healthy in time then we need to find a more suitable back-up for Beas and Pierce isn’t coming back (or he better not.) Also Califf in the middle again is a scary idea.

54. NJsoccer says:

sorry for the length by the way

55. sean monaghan says:

Bryan Jordan!

haha well a man can dream.

56. Nick says:

Lets do this!

Ching-Altidore

Dempsey-Bradely-Pablo-Donovan

Boca-Edu-Gooch-Hejduk

Howard

Edu has the body and IQ to play Centeral defender. Convert him to defense, not Beasely.

57. RLW2020 says:

i am planning on attending a few Gold Cup matches, are the teams going to be relatively the same for all the summer USMNT games.
    I have never been to a Gold Cup match, but it seems logical that some of the top players might not be called up for a game verse Haiti… am i right?

also all of the MNT games this summer, Gold Cup, CONCAF, and Confed. are going to be on ESPN, right?

58. RLW2020 says:

in South Africa tho.
    the US has a legit shot at making a statement that they should receive a higher spot in the next world cup and not get put in a group of death.
    Brazil is going to be difficult, but Egypt and Italy in SAf should be very close matches.

59. Federico says:

I also agree to try Orozco at LB. But for the Gold Cup..

60. TIMMYisTOPS says:

I’d take Beckerman over Kljestan, and Marshall over Califf at this point.

————-Timmy————-

-Hejduk–Gooch—Boca–Beasley-

—Dempsey—-Edu—-Bradley—

——-Ching——-Donovan—–

———–Altidore————

Subs: Guzan, Torres, Adu, Spector, Beckerman, Davies, DeMerrit.

61. JP says:

I really don’t think these guys in the Scandinavian leagues merit the looks they’ve been getting (Califf, Davies, Parkhurst). I’m not sure scoring goals in the Swedish league says that much. If Davies moves on to Ligue 1 and keeps it up, great, bring him in. But not now over a guy who’s scoring goals in MLS (aka. Cooper, Casey, Buddle, Rolfe, Findley, etc.)

62. Jeremar says:

Bradley’s team has always been built around this formation:

—————Ching———————-
    —————————————–
    —————-Bradley——————–
    ————–Boca—Onyewu—————
    —————–Howard——————

He will never alter this. But if he were to examine his squad objectively in the light of the stiff competition at the Confed Cup [and then the WC], he would see that he has to throw this out the window, and put Boca at left back. The sooner the better. Marshall, with his tackling ability, would be best suited for the CB slot.

63. anon says:

Feilhaber over Mastroeni. (Technical ability over Red Card waiting to happen…Edu and Bradley can play d-mid anyway.)

Marshall over Califf. (Scoring ability/Defender on set pieces over the traffic cone.)

Eddie Johnson over Brian Ching (Speed and Youth over Age and no-scoring ability.)

Jeremiah White over Sacha Kljestan (in-form vs. out of form).

64. Brant says:

@ Kaiser, who said…
    “Germans like to compare football with Carl von Clauewitz, who wrote the book On War and was the creater of modern strategy.”

Hey, I know Clausewitz (14 years in the Army… speak German fluently…) I was noting that it would be a ton of fun to watch a full-speed team. Play ‘em against Panama or something.

@ Jeremar, who asked…
    “Side note: Why is Brian Carroll, the winner of like three Supporter’s Shields in a row and the possessor of one of the best footballing minds in MLS, not even mentioned as a CM candidate?”

Because he could get lapped by an arthritic turtle wearing concrete boots. I love Carroll as much as the next guy. He wears my number, plays for my favorite team, plays my position, and works his butt off. But as great a coach as he’ll make some day, he’s just not fast enough to play at that high international level.

In a race between Carroll and a brand new bottle of ketchup starting to flow, I’ll take the ketchup.

65. Kevvo says:

It will be interesting to see how we compete against the Italians and the Brazilians, whatever side they put out. Remember that virtual Brazilian B team that made Messi, Tevez et al look like chumps in the Copa America final? If Brazil chooses to compete, they will make us look bad.

Italy is an interesting one. At WC 2006, they had alot of trouble with the US and Australia. Neither the US or Aus is stacked with talent like the Italians, but there is a certain athleticism and competitiveness the Italians have trouble dealing with it seems to me. I’m looking for a Guiseppe Rossi start and here’s hoping his fellow NJ natives make him pay dearly for snubbing the land of his birth

66. EA says:

Is this the internet?

Great. Then here’s my starting 11 for Confed Cup:

Zimmerman – COOPER! – Davies
    Feilhaber – Adu – J. White – Rogers
    Whitbread – GOOCH! – Wingert
    Friedel

How’d I do?

67. Brian says:

@RLW 2020

I remember reading a press clipping saying that ESPN would be broadcasting the Confederations Cup, and of course, the WC Qualifiers. The Gold Cup traditionally has been on FSC, and I would assume that wouldn’t change this time around.

68. huricano says:

I don’t think Adu, Davies, or Mastroeni are Nats quality at the moment. Adu has been a failure in Europe, admittedly much to my dismay. Davies is not yet a proven entity. And Mastroeni no longer has the pace, or the bite to perform at the highest level. However, I like all three of these players, so their inclusion would not be a disaster.

69. BrooklynFC says:

We NEED Klinsmann, he would undoubtedly play a more attacking style. I would love to see a 3-2-4-1. Klinsmann would do that. Bradley should really be coaching in the MLS, no disrespect but he is better suited to be a coach in the MLS. My (and Klinmann’s) lineup would look as follows:

—————–Altidore——————
    —————————————–
    Donovan——-Adu——-Bradley—-Dempsey
    —————————————–
    ———-Torres————Edu———–
    —————————————–
    —-Bocanegra——Oneywu——Spector—–
    —————————————–
    ——————Howard—————–

This would be my lineup for many reasons.
    1) I really can not see Ching playing at Forward against top competition.
    2) I really can not see Beasley starting at Left Back against top competition.
    3) Boca can play both LB and CB, though he plays LB he doesn’t play LWB he simply isnt fast enough, so instead of having him play LB I would like to see him playing LCB where he can combine both skill sets.
    4)Spector can play both RB and CB, so playing RCB is ideal for him.
    5)The tandem of Boca and Gooch would stay intact in this formation.
    6)Both Torres and Edu can cover for whenever Spector or Boca push forward.

I would love to hear some feedback about my ideas.

70. Jon E says:

… I would love to see a 3-2-4-1. Klinsmann would do that… My (and Klinmann’s) lineup would look as follows… I would love to hear some feedback about my ideas.

Posted by: BrooklynFC | April 28, 2009 at 12:32 AM
    ——–

My primary feedback is that you’re wasting perfectly good mind-reading technology pulling line-ups out of Jurgen Klinsmann’s skull when you could be making enough money first to buy your own country and next to naturalize the right players for its national team.

71. Jon E says:

But then, you already knew that, right?

72. smokeminside says:

Anon, I’d rather have some age and savvy (Ching) over an erratic head case like Johnson, who doesn’t know how to use the speed God gave him.

73. Chris says:

—-Altidore–Cooper—-

——–Donovan———

Beasley———–Dempsey

——–Bradley———

Spector-Boca-Gooch-Hedjuk

——–Howard———-

74. zongzap says:

Can’t argue with your projected picks and think BB’s picks will be very close to yours. I will say this however. Bradley has had enough time to build a contender. If we find that we are not competitive against these teams, and I think we won’t be, then I think it’s fair to finally call Bradley’s program a failure and we should look for a new direction before the next WC.

Even his defenders will have a hard time defending him if we can’t compete. If he bunkers against the CONCACAF minnows, I can see him lining up a in a 8-2-0 formation against the big guns

75. Tom P says:

“I’d take Beckerman over Kljestan, and Marshall over Califf at this point. ”

I strongly agree with that.

76. Adam says:

Maybe I missed it, but I never saw Keller retire from international soccer. I think he’s the perfect number 3 keeper. And given the fact that I haven’t been all that impressed with Guzan lately, maybe number 2.

Maybe I’ve been living in a shell, but when did our defensive options become that bad? Jay DeMerit, Dan Califf, Jonathan Spector, Michael Parkhurst, Jonathan Bornstein? Really? Those are realistic national team options? DeMerit has been in and out of Watford this year due to disagreements and injuries. I don’t think Califf cuts it at the international level. Same goes for Bornstein. Parkhurst may make it, but he’s not ready yet. If Spector can go three full games without getting injured I think he would be fine (because, let’s face it, with Brazil, Italy and Egypt, the Confederations Cup is three and out).

77. Brian says:

What’s with the worry about Adu et al. riding the pine in ZA and not playing in the Gold Cup? I’m pretty sure some of the benchwarmers at the Confed Cup will get lots of minutes in the Gold Cup. Adu has barely played this year. It’s not like is body is drained. Same could be said for Altidore.

78. Felix says:

I’d leave Adu off the Confed Cup roster and bring Jeremiah White, who can play as a winger or a withdrawn forward, but other than that, I would also bring Michael Orozco, who has received regular minutes as well as Copa Libertadores experience, and leave off Jay DeMerit who has been in and out of the Watford lineup all year. Other than that, I have no major quibbles.

79. adam says:

It’s going to be…

ESPN Confeds Cup

FSC Gold Cup

80. Isaac says:

—————Altidore—Ching————

——————–Donovan—————-

Dempsey——————————Torres

——————–Bradley—————-

Beasley—–Bocanegra—-Onyewu——Hejduk

Dempsey isn’t a natural winger so Roy Hodgeson takes away the responsiblities of a winger, which is getting down the flank using their speed, which neither Torres or Dempsey has,and crossing. Instead, lets cut inside with Dempsey and Torres and leave to flanks to Beasley and Hejduk. We could also let Altidore and Ching drop out wide more like the did in the Trinidad and Tobago game, which is what led to the first goal.

Donovan always does well running through the heart of the defense and will pick up some laid off passes from Ching. Altidore also did the same thing during the El Salvador game which is what led to the shot that Ching put right at the keeper(not his fault, he’s not lefty).

Donovan and Torres should also beable to know when to switch, and for all we know the starting lineup could have the two switched, this is just my preference. Torres and Dempsey should also know when to switch if we need more service from the flanks( and if they don’t BB will give ‘em a yell).

In reality the lineup will work like this

————Altidore—-Ching——————————–Donovan—————–

—–Dempsey——–Bradley——Torres—-

Beasley——Bocanegra—-Onyewu—–Hejduk

———————-Howard—————-

Torres/Dempsey will play as central midfielders and drop out wide for defensive reasons. Dempsey/Torres will also cross when we’re lacking service from the wings.

This is sort of the way AC/Inter Milan play with the two big forwards, Adriano/Ibrahimovic or Pato/Inzaghi, the quick third/center forward, Stankovic or Kaka. We should get out there with a creative mind while having players with a good work rate.

81. madmax says:

Please no Califf, Pearce or EJ.

82. Felix says:

Why is everyone so obsessed with putting Beasley in at LB?? He doesn’t like playing there, he’s barely played for Rangers and if he was actually going against some good wingers and fullbacks, like he will face in the Confed Cup, he’s going to get smoked. He doesn’t have the positional sense, the size or strength to be an effective defender against strong competition – all he is his fast.

83. EA says:

I believe the roster (assuming 23) will break down as:

GK – Howard, Guzan, Hahnemann

DEF – Hedjuk, Spector, Onyewu, Bocanegra, Califf, DeMerit, Pearce

M – Donovan, Mastroeni, Edu, Bradley, Torres, Klejstan, Beasley, Dempsey

F – Altidore, Ching, EJ, Adu, Davies

Starting 11 will be:

————Ching – Altidore———–

Dempsey – Bradley – Edu/Mast/Kle/Tor – Donovan

Beasley – Bocanegra – Onyewu – Hejduk

—————-Howard—————–

As much whining as there will be, guys like Kljestan, Pearce, Califf and EJ will probably be brought in. They are familiar with the program, and the staff and other players are familiar with them.

“Better the devil you know, than the devil you don’t.”

Those players’ strengths and weaknesses are known, and you can gameplan accordingly. Bringing in a player with minimal caps, and minimal international experience and asking them to play against the best team in Africa, the best team (arguably) in South America, and the defending World Cup champs is a recipe for disaster.

Also, you won’t see MLS players that at least don’t have the chance of starting. No Keller, no Marshall, no Cooper, no Wynne. Silly to take them away from thier club teams for three weeks to just practice, when European teams are out of season.

The Gold Cup roster should look markedly different.

84. RLW2020 says:

“three and out”???

i have never watched the Egyptian team but their roster has 3 players playing in the EPL one in Germany and one in the Swiss league. none of which are highlight players in those leagues. I don’t know much about the players or the level of play in their national league, or their qualifying play. overall this does not sound like a game the US is not favorites in., right?

as for the other games italy should be a good match as well.
    brazil should be difficult, but a draw is not out of reach. maybe i am too optimistic but the improved play of jozy, dempsey, torres, onyewu, bradley, boca and howard gives our team a considerable chance of advancing or at least playing well.

85. Isaac says:

Felix

You’re an idiot. Beasley is the only American to score in a champions league for two teams. He also has 17 goals for the Nats, 2nd behind Landon, at least in unretired players. He helped PSV to the Semifinal and with that win against Lyon.

At left back, maybe not, but to say he’s only fast is just stupid on your part.

86. Arthur Spooner says:

starters i wanna see:

——–Altidore—Donovan——–

–Adu-Kljestan—Bradley-Dempsey–

-Beasley-Bocanegra–Onyewu-Spector-

————–Howard————–

although i don’t believe that Freddy, Spector, or Sacha(maybe) will be in Bob’s first-choice starting XI

87. Scott C. says:

I think Beasley played left back during his brief spell at Man City, if I remember correctly. And he may be bigger than our best right back, Cherundolo. I too like him at left back…

I don’t think the Confed. cup and the Gold cup overlap do they? If not, I think some of our European players should play both. I’d like to see Adu, Edu, Davies, etc. be in Africa as subs, and get starting roles in the Gold cup. Beasley and Altidore could probably do both as well. I think Torres will be out of season too…

88. Jason says:

Ives, thanks for taking an early shot at the roster, and I’ll pick some nits, some along lines you have suggested. But in the main, I think you’ve got it right.

1) You appear not to have taken much from the last qualifier. For me, Beasley is now the #1 LB, and Donovan is now a midfielder. Our best XI looks like this:

—————Howard————-
    Hejduk (Dolo)–Gooch–Boca–Beasley
    ———–Bradley—-Pablo——–
    Dempsey———————Donovan
    ———–Altidore—Ching———

Maybe Kljestan, Torres, or even Edu for Pablo.

2) I’d think Guzan will start the Gold Cup, and so BB might take another keeper, especially if there is a loan deal worked out and he has to get acclimated with a new team. Also, I think the 3rd keeper spot (but not necessarily the #3) will have to be a veteran, seeing Guzan’s lack of playing time. Don’t be surprised to see Kasey Keller this summer (if he’s interested).

3) You’ve got too many CB’s on defense.

4) I don’t think it will be just the best 23. The Euro borderlines will go the Confed Cup, the borderline MLSers will go to Gold Cup (for the most part).

My 23, starters first.
    GK: Howard; Hahnemann, Robles (Keller).
    D: Hejduk, Onyewu, Bocanegra, Beasley; Spector, DeMerit, Califf, Bornstein.
    M: Dempsey, Bradley, Mastroeni, Donovan; Kljestan, Edu, Torres, Adu.
    F: Altidore, Ching; Davies, Johnson

Gold Cup:
    GK: Guzan, Perkins, Busch
    D: Wynne, Marshall, Orozco, Pearce; Simek, Parkhurst, Gibbs (if interested)/Goodson, Convey
    M: White, R. Clark, Feilhaber, Rogers; Holden, Szetela, Thorrington, C. Clark/Alvarez
    F: Cooper, Casey, Rolfe, Tracy.

89. Will M says:

Why isn’t anyone mentioning DANNY SZETELA?????

The guy is ripping it up for Bresica, and they might get promoted to Serie A. The guy is starting for a top Serie B team… that’s incredibly impressive. Way more so than MLS or sitting on the bench in Ligue 1