by GIANFRANCO PANIZO
With a pair of World Cup qualifiers looming, several of the U.S. national team's players enjoyed solid performances with their club teams.
It took seven months but Brad Guzan finally got his first taste of Premiership soccer. The former Chivas USA goalkeeper was subbed into Aston Villa's 5-0 loss to Liverpool on Sunday after fellow American netminder Brad Friedel was given a debatable red card for a foul on Fernando Torres. Guzan made one save in his 25 minutes on the field. Perhaps more importantly for Guzan, Friedel's red card means Guzan will likely earn his first EPL start vs. none other than Manchester United on April 5t
Heath Pearce had a promising weekend, enjoying a second consecutive start for Bundesliga 2-strugglers Hansa Rostock. Pearce, who played the game at left mid, went the full 90 minutes in the club's 1-1 tie with TUS Koblenz on Friday.
Another defender who had a solid showing this weekend was Jonathan Spector. The 23-year-old played every minute of West Ham's 1-1 draw against Blackburn Rovers. Spector, who has played in every league game since returning from a long injury lay-off, did not commit a foul in his sixth league appearance this season.
Midfielder DaMarcus Beasley also found playing time this weekend, earning the start in Rangers' league match with Heart of Midlothian. Beasley went 74 minutes in the 2-2 draw.
Here is how the rest of the Americans Abroad contingent faired this weekend:
Tim Howard started, played 90 minutes and made two saves in Everton's 2-1 loss vs Portsmouth on Saturday.
Brad Friedel started, played 64 minutes, made one save and received a red card in Aston Villa's 5-0 loss vs. Liverpool on Sunday.
Brad Guzan came off the bench, played 25 minutes and made one save in Aston Villa's 5-0 loss vs. Liverpool on Sunday.
Clint Dempsey started, played 82 minutes and received a yellow card in Fulham's 2-0 win vs. Manchester United on Saturday.
Jonathan Spector started and played 90 minutes in West Ham's 1-1 draw vs. Blackburn Rovers on Saturday.
COCA COLA CHAMPIONSHIP
Jay DeMerit started and played 50 minutes in Watford's 0-0 draw vs. Ipswich Town on Saturday.
Eddie Johnson came off the bench and played 14 minutes in Cardiff City's 3-0 loss vs. Sheffield United on Sunday.
Frank Simek dressed but did not play in Sheffield Wednesday's 0-0 draw vs. Swansea City on Saturday.
- Marcus Hahnemann started, played 90 minutes and made eight saves in Reading's 0-0 draw vs. Crystal Palace on Saturday.
Jemal Johnson started and played 90 minutes in MK Dons' 0-0 draw vs. Yeovil Town on Saturday.
Zak Whitbread started and played 90 minutes in Millwall's 3-3 draw vs. Hartlepool United on Saturday.
Ian Joyce dressed but did not play in Southend United' 3-0 win vs. Carlisle United on Saturday.
Mike Grella came off the bench and played 20 minutes in Leeds United' 3-2 win vs. Crewe Alexandra on Saturday.
DaMarcus Beasley started and played 74 minutes in Ranger's 2-2 draw vs. Heart of Midlothian on Saturday.
Maurice Edu dressed but did not play in Rangers' 2-2 draw vs. Heart of Midlothian on Saturday.
- Michael Bradley started, played 90 minutes and received a yellow card in Borussia Moenchengladbach's 1-0 loss vs. VfL Bochum on Saturday.
- Steve Cherundolo did not dress in Hannover 96's 2-2 draw vs. TSG Hoffenheim on Saturday.
- Sal Zizzo did not dress in Hannover 96's 2-2 draw vs. TSG Hoffenheim on Saturday.
- Heath Pearce started and played 90 minutes in Hansa Rostock's 1-1 draw vs. TUS Koblenz on Friday.
Gregg Berhalter did not dress in 1860 Munich's 1-0 loss vs. SpVgg Greuther Furth on Sunday.
Luis Robles did not dress in in Kaiserslautern's 1-0 win vs. Ahlen on Sunday.
Matt Taylor did not dress in TUS Koblenz's 1-1 draw vs. Hansa Rostock on Friday.
David Yelldellstarted, played 90 minutes and made three saves in TUS Koblenz's 1-1 draw vs. Hansa Rostock on Friday.
- Grover Gibson did not dress in Ahlen's 1-0 loss vs. Kaiserslautern on Sunday.
- Jozy Altidore did not dress in Xerez's 3-2 win vs. Las Palmas on Saturday.
- Danny Szetela and Brescia play Salernitana on Monday.
Carlos Bocanegrastarted and played 90 minutes in Rennes' 0-0 draw vs. Valenciennes on Saturday.
Freddy Adu dressed but did not play in AS Monaco's 1-0 win vs. AS Nancy Lorraine on Saturday.
- Quentin Westberg dressed but did not play in Troyes' 1-1 draw vs. AC Ajaccio on Friday.
- Oguchi Onyewu started and played 90 minutes in Standard Liege's 1-0 loss vs. Royal Charleroi SC on Sunday.
- Jared Jeffrey did not play in Club Brugge's 3-2 win vs. KV Kortrijk on Friday.
- Danny Califf and FC Midtjylland play Aalborg on Monday.
- Jeremiah White started and played 86 minutes in AGF Aarhus' 1-0 loss vs. Esbjerg on Sunday.
Benny Feilhaber did not play in AGF Aarhus' 1-0 loss vs. Esbjerg on Sunday.
- Michael Parkhurststarted and played 90 minutes in FC Nordsjaelland's 3-1 win vs. Sonderjyske on Sunday.
- Marcus Tracyand Aalborg play FC Midtjylland on Monday.
- Preston Zimmerman started and played 90 minutes in Kapfenberg SV's 4-1 win vs. LASK Linz on Saturday.
Troy Perkins started and played 90 minutes in Valarenga's 1-1 tie vs. Aalesunds on Saturday.
Clarence Goodson started, played 90 minutes and scored a goal in IK Start's 1-1 tie vs. Lyn on Sunday.
Hunter Freeman started and played 90 minutes for IK Start.
- Jose Francisco Torres started and played 90 minutes in Pachuca's 3-0 win vs. Necaxa on Saturday.
- Michael Orozco started and played 83 minutes in San Luis' 4-1 win vs. Indios de Ciudad Juarez on Saturday.
Marco Vidal did not dress in Indios de Ciudad Juarez's 4-1 loss vs. San Luis on Saturday.
Daniel Hernandezdid not dress in Chiapas' 1-0 win vs. Monterrey on Saturday.
Jesus Padilla did not dress in Chivas de Guadalajara's 1-0 loss vs. UANL on Saturday.
American-born Players Playing for Other Countries
Giuseppe Rossi (Italy) started and played 88 minutes in Villarreal's 2-0 win vs. Atletico Bilbao on Saturday.
Edgar Castillo (Mexico) started and played 90 minutes in America's 0-0 draw vs. UNAM on Sunday.
Brede Hangeland (Norway) started and played 90 minutes in Fulham's 2-0 win vs. Manchester United on Saturday.
- Boaz Myhill (Wales) dressed but did not play in Hull City's 1-0 loss vs. Wigan Athletic on Saturday.
What do you think of these performances? Think Friedel's red card was a terrible call? Content that it gave Guzan some playing time? Relieved to finally see Heath Pearce racking up minutes, even if it is at midfield? Are you hoping that Spector gets the start at left back vs. El Salvador? Do you see Beasley earning more playing time with Rangers?
Share your thoughts below.