TGIF: The USA-Mexico hangover

USAFans (ISIphotos.com)

Photo by ISIphotos.com

Admit it. If you are a U.S. national team fan then are probably still recovering from the emotional roller coaster and post-victory celebration following the U.S. team's 2-0 victory against Mexico.

As memorable as Wednesday night was, the soccer world continues to spin and the shift in focus reverts back to club soccer, with European leagues resuming play and MLS teams continuing to prepare for the upcoming MLS season.

The big news today will be whether or not David Beckham is sold to AC Milan, something we should hear about soon (although the word that Milan reps are only just today making their way to LA makes you wonder when this will get done by the deadline). Another news story we are still waiting for is whether or not Sven Goran Eriksson will be fired as Mexico head coach.

While we wait for those stories to emerge, and for other stories to develop today, here are is a look back at some tidbits from the USA-Mexico match, and from SBI's trip to Columbus:

Most of you have seen the slap Mexico assistant coach Paco Ramirez put on Frankie Hejduk following the match. While the popular explanation for the incident was a misunderstanding of something Hejduk said that night, Mexican media suggested that the slap was actually the result of past transgressions by Hejduk toward the Mexican national. Apparently, Ramirez had been carrying some lingering resentment toward Hejduk for things he has said after past Mexico games and decided to confront him. Someone probably should have told Ramirez that Crew Stadium was probably not the place to do that. Here's the video for those of you who hadn't seen the incident:

Rafael Marquez apologized to Mexico's fans after Wednesday's match for losing his head and kicking Tim Howard, an incident that resulted in a red card. Howard wasn't holding a grudge, as evidenced by the scene of the two players giving interviews practically side-by-side after the match.

One of the funnier moments in the aftermath of the match took place the next day at the Columbus Airport, when a PA announcement told "Dos a Chero to meet their party at Gate A-4." The announcement was greeted with laughter from the scores of U.S. fans in the terminal, even if the announcer pronounced 'Cero' 'Chero'.

Another good moment came in the post-game press conference when a Mexican journalist asked Bob Bradley if things would have been differently if Giovani Dos Santos had scored on the play where he brought new meaning to the term 'Sitter'. Bradley smiled coyly and said "We'll never know." He also took the chance to remind the journalist that the U.S. national team had come back against Mexico before in the 2007 Gold Cup final.

Michael Bradley, the USA-Mexico man of the match, credited his move to Germany with helping him reach the form that led to Wednesday's masterful performance. While most observers believe that him joining last-place Borussia Moenchengladbach was a mistake, Bradley credits the weekly battle for survival with the relegation strugglers with helping him improve as a player.

SBI Mafia members had to be happy to see the SBI Banner Contest winner shown on the ESPN2 broadcast for a good five seconds. Congrats and thanks again to Anton Jusufi for designing the banner and special thanks to SBI correspondent GianFranco Panizo for placing the banner. For those wondering where the banner is now, it is residing at SBI headquarters in New Jersey and we plan on bringing it to Mexico City in August (and Nashville if any folks from Trinidad & Tobago resort to using voodoo dolls). If anybody can put together a YouTube clip of the ESPN2 airtime for the banner, let us know.

SBIMafiaBannerTV

Lastly, a special thank you to all the SBI Mafia members (and if you haven't figured it out by now, every regular reader of SBI is a member) who we met on this trip. You help make running SBI worthwhile and keep us motivated to keep bringing you the news and analysis you are looking for.

That's all for now. Feel free to share any final thoughts on Wednesday's match, the Beckham and Sven situations, or on the upcoming weekend's soccer action, in the comments section below.

This entry was posted in CONCACAF, Mexican Soccer, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

80 Responses to TGIF: The USA-Mexico hangover

1. krolpolski says:

Marquez apologized to Mexico’s fans and his team mates but neglected to apologize to Howard for intentionally putting his spikes into his thigh.

2. Joe says:

I actually yelled at the TV, “Hey, it’s the banner!”

3. aristotle says:

So what are the consequences of Mexico’s assistant jacka$s, I mean coach, slapping Frankie Hejduk? I’ve got a pretty good idea of what would have happened if Frankie had hit him back. We’ve all seen that on the field plenty of times. Bad guy initiating incident by committing offense? Not much of a problem. Good guy just responding in kind to attack or offense? He’s a big problem and must be dealt with. Well what happens now that Frankie didn’t even respond, supposedly the way it’s supposed to work? Sounds like nothing so far. Maybe a promotion to national team coach? Apparently, Frankie should have punched him in the face.

4. arkjayback says:

I never could find a clip of the banner, but I did make a video of the game that some might like: link to youtube.com

Ives, any info on what Bradley might do if his team is relegated? His improvement definetely showed, and I don’t think playing in the second division would help him much.

5. M says:

Oh my God, I was in the Columbus Airport when that happend. I heard that and starting cracking up in the security line.

6. Adam M. says:

It was another respectable win against a Mexico side that remains strangely incapable of playing up to their potential against the U.S. But the number of enforced errors by the U.S. — balls given away in the midfield, passes to no one, defensive blunders (though none tragic this time) — remain far to high for the U.S. to be taken as a serious threat to the top tier of international talent. No, it is not fair to compare the U.S. to, say Barcelona, but watching Barcelona’s movement of the ball is instructive of how far away the U.S. is from running a tight ship. It is also worth noting that the U.S. has yet to produce a player that can pull off anything like the goal Robinho scored against Italy the other day, and with one or two exceptions, the amount of creativity on the field (on both sides) was nonexistent. Yes, we are the best side in the region, seemingly by quite a bit. But I suspect the Confederations Cup will remind us, once again, that the best from North America is far from ready to challenge the best of the rest of the world.

7. DC Josh says:

I wish I could have heard the announcement but somehow I missed it. I also heard Bradley Sr. and Jr. were seen at the food court in the airport during the incident.

8. Travis in Miami says:

Hangover is right. but I just found the cure…anticipation for June. What a sick schedule we have:

3rd – @Costa

6th – Honduras

15th – Italy

18th – Brazil

21st – Egypt

(24th/25th – semi’s)

(28th – finals/3rd place)

That’s almost better than a WC June!

9. Jim says:

Why is that Mexican players show poor sportsmanship by not even shaking the hands of our players after games, not crediting them for winning and yet the Ass’t Coach feels he has to teach Frankie a lesson?

10. adam b says:

how did i miss seeing the banner?!?!? must have been getting a beer.

11. brokejumper says:

Adam M. – While I am not going to try and compare the US to Barcelona in terms of passing and interchange, to use Wednesday’s game under those conditions as a benchmark for anything other than survival and gutting out a win is just not right.

The conditions certainly exposed the fact that our center backs are not the most technically gifted players around, but we already knew that. Let’s see how things go in the next couple of games before we write an obituary for 2010.

12. golfstrom says:

if you recorded the game, the banner was shown in the 20th minute or so, I think.

13. Slim Jim says:

You are right about that flight DC Josh. I was on a plane with Ives heading into Newark that had to go around a 2nd time before landing. The post game hangover is on after spending toooo much time in airports and planes. I was in the airport in Columbus on Thursday at 9:00 and did not make it back to Greensboro NC until 2:00 am Friday morning.

14. Neal says:

Mexican team (especially Marquez) has shown poor sportsmanship for quite some time now–Wed night and WC ’02 come to mind).
    Once is a fluke, but this is a trend…
    Just grow up boys and accept it, US is top dog!

15. Fc Uptown says:

I actually had a couple non soccer fans tell me they watched the game. I wonder if the ratings inched up at all.

16. Chupacabra says:

The sports news reports on Sky and Setanta last night both claimed that Mexico still wanted “It” to remain as the Mexican team coach, but Pompey is still pursuing him. The BBC confirms that Mexico wants “It” to stay:

link to news.bbc.co.uk

“There’s total support for Eriksson because we’ve a commitment with him to get to South Africa,” said MFF president Justino Compean.

Eriksson said: “I want to continue. If I left, I’d be a man with no courage.”

17. DC Josh says:

the ratings were the best ever on espn2 for a world cup qualifier. I think around 1.2 million tuned in. ESPN still hates on soccer however, having only one or two highlights after all of their Favre converage and NBA coverage during sportscenter, and apparently horrible commentating again during halftime.

When you have a special news section on the bottom of your tv channel labeled “Favre” and you call yourself the worldwide leader or sports, you may want to reconsider your mission statement. I’m sick and tired of the narrow-minded sports coverage they supply.

18. A.S. says:

“My flight back home was the scariest of my life as well. Our plane was blown all over the place by the wind during our descent.”

All the more scary, I’ll bet, given what just happened in Buffalo.

19. Robert says:

I had written a nice little story about the rivalry but youtube messed up and it has been delayed for some reason. Kudos on the banner. I tried to convince my wife that I knew about it beforehand. In case you guys were wondering about the worst enemy/villain, whatever from Mexico… I picked Marquez. Sanchez won but I think we can agree that I was right.
    I hope Bradley moves out of M’bch at the end of the season if they are relegated. Just a thought.

20. Jason says:

Great coverage, Ives!! Thanks! Sad I moved from Cbus this summer.

21. DGinLA says:

I can’t believe Marquez. That SOB will get knocked on his ass soon enough. I am glad to see some Mexican players shaking hands with some US players, Bravo & Salcido in particular. Still it was cool to see the SBI banner on TV and it seems like they made it a point to do it. Ives, your army is getting stronger. I’m part of it.

22. Army of Dad says:

I will second the question about what sanction the Mexico ASSistant coach will face from CONCACAF/FIFA…

23. MiamiAl says:

The Banner was a highlight of the night! Can’t wait to see it in Mexico City…

I thought this was Frankie Hedjuk’s best game as a NAT!

24. Andrew Helms says:

Dos a chero, that’s hilarious.

My brother and I ran into Bob & Michael Bradley, Sacha Klejstan, and Johnny Bornstein at the food court and gave them the thumbs up and said “Great job”. They all said thanks and Bob thanked us and said they appreciate the support.

25. Alex says:

Adam… shut Up!!! we all know we haven’t produced a messi, or ronaldo but neither has england or russia, or italy or France, but they all believe in their teams instead of harping on things you frankly can’t change from now until the world cup. The sloppy play in the back was one not playing together and two the wet surface that left bocanegra and gooch flailing like they were on skates but the midfield had their backs and covered and balanced that was good team work and good movement. For every bad thing you can trump up their is also a good thing that the team did that they haven’t been able to do before. This team is leaps and bounds better than the team that won the gold cup and the more the guys play together the better they are hence the england, spain, argentina stretch where each game they improved these are all qualities that I am happy we have even if their is no messi on our team.

26. TCompton says:

I though Hedjuk had a fantastic game as well. He may have lost a step, but his tackles were spot on.

27. Brandon says:

Mike Bradley has a clause in his contract that states if bor. monch are relegated they will have to sell him. It’s probably a little easier going through a relegation battle knowing you won’t be around in the second div next season, but based on the performance he just turned in, m bradley should be playing in a top tier league.

28. Rastafari says:

I love the Slo Mo replay… Suspenseful like one of those Novelas…

Someone should cite Ramirez for the offending Mullet

29. adam says:

What a match I recall looking down as I headed to grab a beer and saw the banner!

30. Miguel says:

“For those wondering where the banner is now, it is residing at SBI headquarters in New Jersey”

Is SBI headquarters code words for “Ives’ mom’s basement?” Ha ha. I was glad to see it as well.

31. J says:

32. Tolik says:

Guys, speaking about winds and airplanes, check this out: Bilbao airport: link to youtube.com

33. kpugs says:

That banner is frickin awesome.

It would be so much harder for me to hate Mexico if they had any class or sportsmanship. They are great players. They just make it easy for me to hate them all every time they step on the pitch (or b-slap someone in the tunnel).

34. Tolik says:

Guys, speaking about strong winds and airplanes, see this one in Bilbao, Spain

link to youtube.com

35. HIncha Tim says:

I think significantly for soccer that TV coverage of the game set records:

link to sportsillustrated.cnn.com

Soccer is growing day by day here and if the U.S. could make a deep run into the next World Cup, I think a significant corner could be turned.

36. Bootsy says:

Hey, I made a photo on Ives’ blog!

37. This Guy says:

My wife lives in Italy as some of you know. She’ll be here in March after paperwork clears but, she just called me and said Italian news is reporting Beckham to AC Milan for 14million euro or about 18.5 million dollars and an arranged friendly at Carson, CA. Italian news is wrong alot so don’t hold them to anything. Beckham will reportedly recieve 50% of the profits from the friendly.

38. arkjayback says:

Doesn’t ESPN have the rights for the Confederations Cup also?

With the US now looking like a very tough and coordinated side, more people might pay attention. The CC has such a small amount of teams, but with top talent, and the US in the harder group. If ESPN does have the right for the CC, I can only hope that they and US Soccer crank up the advertising.

If the ratings can be that great after a couple months of anticipation, imagine what it could be for Brazil and Italy with 4 months of anticipation . . . . .

39. Yossarian says:

Adam M.,

I have always been among the most critical supporters when it comes to discussing U.S.’ inability to develop and promote players with touch and ball skills, however, this game was not the right forum to evaluate this.

Maybe your television was not clear or you (and all the many others who are critiquing this facet) just have a blind spot, but I’m not sure how you can possibly expect, in hurricane-type winds and a sopping wet field, a clean, efficient game of no turnovers and stringing 10 passes together.

The fact that the U.S. was able to thoroughly dominate the midfield (against a highly skilled, technical squad like Mexico that typically dominates the middle third against us) is extremely encouraging and now is not the time to be making the complaints you are lodging. Now is the time for celebrating that we are improving in that aspect. I feel you and the others are picking the entirely wrong time for your complaints.

If, next game, the U.S. loses the midfield battle on a clean, dry, well-composed pitch, then I’ll be the first to jump up, but now your efforts are misplaced.

40. howie1976 says:

I’ve been listening to a lot of Spanish sports talk radio since the game, and the majority of the commentators conceed that Marquez was 100% wrong, that slap happy assistant coach should be sanctioned and that Mexico is no longer better than the U.S. I love listening to them moan and grown. They are pointing fingers at everyone.

41. A.S. says:

“Gio was clearly offside on that play, anyway, so it’s justice that it didn’t go it.”

Yeah. It seemed to me that Dos Santos did *exactly the right thing* on that play. He knew he was offside, so he knew that if he tried in any way to play the ball, the ref would blow the whistle. Instead, he sat there passively, knowing that by being passive, there was a chance the ball would either go in the net by itself or hit the post and bounce out to one of his teammates.

The criticism of Dos Santos with respect to that play seems to me to be horribly misguided.

42. WK says:

dos santos WAS offsides laying on the ground next to the far post, but he only ended up there after a desperate challenge from pearce on that great free kick by pardo. frankly we’re lucky a penalty wasn’t awarded.

43. Pico says:

Ives,

what is your take on Jozy’s performance in such a short stint? He reminded me of the old NY Knicks’ center Patrick Ewing.

When Patrick got the ball in the low post, you could almost see him go through all possible moves in his head and then proceed to make the move. It was so different from Hakeem Olajuwon who would make a move immediately and effortlessly.

Do you think Jozy is the square peg in the round US system? The type of football he is practicing in Spain is so different from what takes place here. Both at Villarreal and Xerez they play with two forwards, which is not what Bradley has been putting on the field.

Cheers

44. John says:

Speaking of poor sportsmanship, after every USA-Mexico game, I always try to see if the Mexicans would shake hands with our boys. However, the TV coverage did not show any of this with the exception of Landon and Omar Bravo exchanging pleasantries. Did anyone see any other show of sportsmanship from the Mexicans? For sure, I do not expect Sanchez to offer a congratulatory handshake knowing how poor of a sportsman he is.

45. madmax says:

Sven must go. The entire Mexican squad from players to staff are undisciplined. If you combine this game with their last Honduras game, you see a squad that is out of control, bent on paybacks. The last ten minutes of the USA game El Tri went on a hacking campaign rather than trying to score. Very strange.

46. jd says:

I agree soccer coverage has a long way to go, but also agree we’re close to turning corner.

Firstly, let’s keep in mind #1 natural roadblock, advertising. As opposed to US football w/ endless commercial breaks, soccer goes commercial free for 45 min–twice. For years the incentive for media outlets was simply not there. But this is changing, and quickly, for several reasons.

1. Changing Media Landscape
    The media landscape has radically shifted & the internet is the driving force, but not the only one. Not only are media dollars being shifted to online/new media, but TV itself has experienced major fragmentation (think about how many cable channels available now vs. 10-20 yrs ago).

1a. Technology
    Not only has internet & technology loosened stranglehold of traditional broadcast, it’s also paved the way for new out of the box ways for marketing. Prime example, World Cup is the largest advertising event in the world. Now new integrated marketing campaigns can be developed that go beyond 30 sec ad such as digitally transposed sponsorship images, URL promotion, & much more. Another important role internet has played is that of tracking & understanding consumer audience behavior. Outdated methods such as Nielsen ratings have now given way to sophisticated web analytics which allow you to track & measure audience behavior to the most detailed levels. Look at ESPN’s new web site as prime example. Soccer is now a prominent menu item on the home page, which you can be sure is direct result of increased understanding of their audience.

2. ’94 WC/USMNT/Yanks abroad
    Obviously all very important & cannot be overlooked.

3. Youth soccer
    We’ve all heard that soccer is the most widely played youth sport in America. It’s not untrue. And it matters. The foundation for success is already there.

4. Economy
    Combined w/ all the above, marketers & media outlets alike are now being forced to tap into new markets.

Anyway, should be interesting to see how the world’s game evolves & is integrated into mainstream America.

…And thanks, Ives, for the great site & all your work!

47. KCB says:

DOMINATION

48. Josh in the SLC says:

Brandon,

How sure are you of this Micheal Bradley sell clause? I mean that’s great but, I need some proof here…..

49. KCB says:

FTR, Rafael Marquez & Paco should both be banned for multiple matches. Such lack of class should be punished.

50. silverrey says:

Couple quick stats for USMNT going back to the ’99 season:
    w – l – t
    94-37-31 overall
    47-16-14 meaningful games (WC,WCQ,GC,etc.)
    10-3-2 vs Mexico
    Having watched the team starting from their ’96 campaign to get to the ’98WC, I’m pretty happy to see us at this point. We still have some growth needed, but this is a solid team that we have right now.
    We still have to take down some bigger fish to prove ourselves (currently our only notable wins are Poland 3x, Germany twice in ’99, Argentina ’99, and Portugal ’02 – granted we should’ve had Italy ’06…), but I feel our time is coming. DEFINITELY looking forward to June!!!!

51. gofirego says:

Two of the fake Mexicans, the Argentine Guille Franco and the Uruguayan Nery Castillo, whined that they did not like how Hejduk celebrated.

* Nery: “They will have to come to the Azteca, and we will see if he does that there.”

* Guille: “I don’t know his name, but he was the USA’s No. 2. I told him he’s an idiot for what he said after the second goal, that this was no way to celebrate and that he should have respect and ethics as a player. When they scored the second goal, he insulted us and said insults toward the Mexicans, I heard it clearly. That shouldn’t happen. That’s why I told him he’s an idiot.”

52. kofi_x5 says:

Hey Pico,

I’m not Ives but I like your question. I was having similar thoughts on Jozy’s performance. I’d love to hear what Ives thoughts are too.

I saw Jozy thinking too much and trying to force the situation of couple of times. He came in to the game really late and maybe had some big game jitters. Like when he pulled the ball over to the top corner of the 18 and tried to post-up on his defender, he was trying to be in control, and be smooth, instead, basically, he got taught a lesson. Then,later, he practically got knocked out on the last play of the game while Landon was streaking down the line. Chalk it up to a learning experience. He didn’t bring the level of intensity necessary to match the intensity on the pitch. I’ve watched him play a lot and I am confident he’ll make the adjustment and be ready for the next one.

53. Christian says:

Gofirego:

Nery Castillo was born in Mexico, again, why do people insist on bringing up such petty subjects.

Secondly, the FMF has already stated that Paco Ramirez will be dealt with for his behavior.

The incident was a misunderstanding, Hejduk went by the Mexico bench to celebrate with US fans near by and some of the staff and players thought he was tauting them. Guille Franco confronted him and they both shook hands afterwards, then Paco Ramirez came in a bitchslapped Hejduk for no reason. After the incident, Hejduk clearly stated that it was a misunderstanding and nothing more. Some of you guys just love drama and will look for it anywhere.

The match wasn’t a hackfest, I don’t know what game some of you watched but it was a pretty clean game, apart from Marquez idiotic challenge on Howard.

And for the guy that said Marquez didn’t apologize to Howard, did you not watch the game? He shook hands with Howard before walking off the field after being sent off.

I think it’s typical of US fans to pull out the “classless” card and make stupid generalizations when in reality, there was no animosity between the players and all the post game interviews from the Mexican camp were very complimentary towards the US.

I don’t see anyone calling out Dempsey for diving all over the place when he had the ball. That is some serious hypocritical sh*t because most of you don’t hesitate to call out players from other teams who do it.

Show a little objectivity.

54. Miguel says:

I saw the banner also. Oh, and I’m the real Miguel, btw. Ha, ha! The one above with the Ives Moms’ basement comment if a fake.

55. Buck Turgidson says:

If anyone caught that ‘Dos Achero” announcement on the PA at Columbus Airport on video, I would LOVE a copy! It may have been my idea and white courtesy phone call that made it happen.

56. bubba says:

Christian you criticize a lot of the US fans for such feelings yet the Mexican fans are the same and even worse about it. I am glad that for the most part the Mexico team and staff knows how to act, but the stupid acts that guys like Marquez and Ramirez did ruin it for the rest of you guys. A game doesn’t go by that the fans and some players act like morons, the only reason you complain now is because at least before you could get the results. This is the way that many Mexican fans act when playing teams in the Caribbean, Central and North America. Mexico and its fans created this monster, take it like everyone else has and stop complaining. I have been to games where Mexican fans don’t even have enough class or respect to acknowledge the teams they are playing, so if you ask me they are getting off very easy.

Like many of the Mexican players we will see them in Azteca, its going to be a great game…

57. Jordan LINCOLN< NE says:

Thats me holding the flag in that picture!!!!

Ives, I think I remember meeting you at Claddaghs late Tuesday night… great work!

58. PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo says:

Christian,

You are wrong to defend Paco Ramirez.

Marquez, as a player let his emotions get away from him. Most of us understand that this happens to all players. He knows he was wrong, admits it and there are no hard feelings from Howard or any other player I’m sure.

However defending an authority figure such as Ramirez with a “pull out the “classless” card and make stupid generalizations ” then point to Dempsey as an example is idiotic and sophmoric (look it up).

Ramirez should be fired. If Mexico is serious about fixing its personnel discipline, which they should be based on their results; it starts by taking a hard-line against actions such as what Ramirez did. Ramirez waited, waited I say again, for Hejduk in a pre-meditated manner to accost him. If he thought it was inappropriate behaviour he should have been in Hejduks face at the time of the incident, not after the game.

To defend Ramirez IN ANY WAY is to condone the lack of discipline Mexico has shown in its games over the last few years. Not just against the U.S., but the rest of the region.

I too listen to Spanish Talk radio and television and I’m appalled that there is little being discussed about Ramirez. The focus is on Marquez. I can not imagine an administrator with the U.S. keeping his job after pulling something like that. That we have not heard he’s been suspended pending investigation, is an indication and not a generalization, of what the Mexican Federation condones for behavior.

59. brandon says:

josh –

i’m going to have to revise that statement about the clause to a rumor, i thought i had seen that reported and i had read the same thing on bigsoccer a few days ago, but after searching for it, i can’t verify that he has that clause in his contract. here’s the link to the bigsoccer discussion from a couple of days ago..

link to bigsoccer.com

with as much ambition as young michael has, i do think it is very likely that something like that would be written into his contract, but as i cannot verify that, it is as of now a rumor.

60. Juan says:

Marquez and the rest of the Mexican players are apologizing, not for the losing result, but for fear of their families being threaten and/or kidnapped.

61. Christian says:

When did I defend Paco Ramirez?

The guy is a fool for what he did and I think he should be fired.

I’m not complaining or making excuses for the score because the US won fair and square.

I’m just hoping some US fans are able to think for themselves and don’t get caught up in the “classless” bullsh*t that is thrown around by people who don’t have a clue about the rivalry and spew it because Ives posts it on his blog.

If any of you speak spanish you would notice that the Mexican press is ripping Ramirez and Marquez apart for their antics and are calling for Marquez to be dropped from the team.

All I’m saying is that if you watched the game there was no chippiness that is usually associated with US-Mexico game and some of you are trying real hard to jump on the “classless Mexicans” bandwagon.

Watch the game and come up with your own conclusion without being swayed by the masses. That’s all I’m asking for.

I said it before and I’ll say it again, congrats on the win, it was well deserved.

62. Frank says:

I get confused with the claim that Bradley plays with one up front. I count two. Ching/Altidore and Donovan. Remeber Donovan generally plays up front with the Galaxy and plays up front in Germany. While at times he has played in the midfield, that is no longer the case. Ching and Donovan up front. Beasley on the left. Dempsey on the right. Sasha and Mike in the middle. Two up front!

63. Gregor says:

I remember seeing Ramirez walk right past us after halftime (we were in the front row in section 129, NW side at the top of the box). We didn’t know who he was, but someone said he looked like a bodyguard for a drug cartel. That mullet was hideous!!

64. Yossarian says:

Christian,

If you’re agreeing that Paco should be fired, then I’m not sure why you’re arguing with the “classless” comment. Mr. Ramirez’ act was clearly classless and you would seem to be agreeing if you’re calling for his dismissal. If you’re upset by blanket statements of Mexicans being classless, I can understand that, but I can’t recall seeing any of that on these boards. If so, I think you should address those comments specifically.

65. Army of Dad says:

Christian,

The last tne minutes were getting chippy. Look at the second goal. Jozy was hacked after the ball was released and a Mexican player nailed Donavan after he laid the ball off to Bradley. Frankly, I am suprised the foul on Jozy didn’t earn that player a caution.

66. Christian says:

I completely agree that Ramirez should be fired and if the FMF has any integrity then they should give him the boot.

I have a problem with people taking the actions of Marquez and Ramirez and generalizing (and assuming) that all Mexican players are “classless.” It’s easy to ignore plays like the one where Hejduk and Salcido battled for the ball and both smashed into the ad signs and Salcido helped Hejduk up to his feet and both gave each other a high five/hug or Omar Bravo being consoled by Donovan and other players shaking hands after the game.

It’s especially bothersome after the fact that all the Mexican players that took part in post game interviews gave props to their American counterparts and even before the game you could see how much respect both teams have each other.

It’s hard to argue against some of the things the Mexican players have done (Oswaldo trying to kick Johnson and Marquez repeatedly losing his cool against the US) but you guys look even more stupid trying to paint the whole team with a broad brush.

Again, where are the people who will call out Dempsey for diving all over the place? Quite the double standard around here, eh?

67. andy says:

We US fans and our players arent as innocent either. I remember seeing a US fan at the Chicago Gold Cup final yelling out Spics lose again…..I remember seeing Eddie Pope spit at Luis Hernandez….Imagine if Guardado would piss on the bushes in Soldier Field…..both sides have idiots and both sides have good guys

Face it, Soccer bring out passion…and sometimes we fans generalize things. Would we be so high on Torres playing this game if he wasnt Mexican American???

68. alexarmac says:

I have been on blogs for several years. Today I believe I heard the most outlandish statement ever. That the Us team does not move the ball as well as Barcelon a and we do not have a player with the moves that Robinho exhibited against Italy. Next someone will say the earth is okay but it is still not as hot as the sun. We are 20th in the world folks. Please put that on you monitor before you blog. I am very pleased and satisfied with the coach and the players of our national team.

69. Deacon palmer says:

Hey frank, teaching frankie a lesson… What the hell does that mean?… I know you didn’t exactly mean what you said, but it definitely came out wrong… You somehow made it sound like the coach had a reason to slap him

70. Scott A says:

Christian, plenty of people criticized Dempsey’s diving. Be objective yourself

71. Christian says:

Is Ives gonna do a piece on US fans throwing bottles at Pavel Pardo while taking corner kicks?

Or is he going to help keep up the facade that US players are goody-too-shoes boyscouts that would never kill a fly?

72. DM MD says:

Wasn’t anybody else disappointed in our inability to control the ball from minutes 65 to 85 after Mexico went a man down? I was pleased with our overall play but am a little scared that Mexico was still able to apply so much pressure while a man down.

73. An aspect to point out is, Mexico was missing 5 players. But even with those players, we did come from 1-0 and beat them 2-1 in 2007 Gold Cup. Also, we drew with them 2-2 in Texas when they had full team and we had a mixed team. But most SBI fans know this. It is their fans that seem to forget this!

74. We have a link for SBI mafia to travel to Mexico City in August! I would love to go!

75. ARMY OF MOM–
    A caution was given to Salcido for his tackle on Jozy. Salcido will miss the next game due to yellow card accumulation as well as Marquez for his red. Ref actually played the advantage and carded Salcido after goal was recorded!

76. bubba says:

Christian you are getting ridiculous trying prove your point. Hey go to you tube and see the video when Bobby Convey took a corner and Mexican fans launched a beer at him. Its the same thing man… You have brought up some good points but the more you keep pushing the issue the more you sound like a sore loser.

I agree with you that this rivalry stuff is getting out of hand, the only thing is why are you doing this now? It was funny and acceptable before, so what changed?

I don’t think it was right that a bottle was thrown at Pardo either but you keep nit picking at it like the US fans are the only ones that have done it before. Take a look back and some of the stuff that has happened was done by your fans first, so deal with it. It surprises me too that some of theses things are happening but is been done before and I don’t see why it should be pointing directly at US fans without pointing the finger at your fans as well.

77. Christian says:

Bubba:

How could I be a sore loser when the first thing I did was congratulate the US for a well played game and deserving the three points.

I’m just pointing out that some US fans carry a very self-righteous attitude and think their players are immune to the bad side of the sport (diving, fans who throw sh*t, etc)

I know most US fans are good people but I hate the generalization that all Mexicans (fans and players) are “classless.”

It’s just a moronic way of thinking. That is all.

78. bubba says:

Christian:

Yes one of the first thing you said, was congratulate the US National Team and it fans for the victory. It seems the way that you keep bringing incidents one after the other that you are looking to find something to pick at. You have found things time and time again, what I’m trying to tell you is that we can do the same. We both have admitted that there have been “classless” actions on both sides, but they have happened before and though unnecessary sadly enough it has become part of the sport. If we keep going off generalizations we are screwing over the avid fans that watch the game and appreciate it the way that it should be appreciated.

As mentioned before my question to you is why are you pointing this out now? This is not the first game, not the first offense, not the first anything. It has happened before people dive, launch bottles, and so forth what do you recommend we do?

I am all about the addressing the issue more in depth, but I wonder now what fans are going to do to our players at Azteca because we all see this as normal stuff. Its been a part of the game whenever Mexico steps onto the field against the USA. I’ve been to Superliga and CONCACAF games where the same thing happens. Moral of the story is that for every jack*** that considers that to be funny, there is a majority that hates that being a part of the game. Again, this happens from both sides so unless the Federations do something about it both parties will continue to do it.

79. bubba says:

Players diving gets done by both teams so I don’t know that much could be done about that. We have a similar problem when Onyewu goes up for a ball against a smaller forward they dive and they get a foul out of it. It went both ways my friend.

80. PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo says:

Christian,

Here is where you defended Ramirez:”THE INCIDENT WAS A MISUNDERSTANDING, Hejduk…”

You did not state that Ramirez should be fired, but that the FMF was investigating.

And Spanish radio/TV is not discussing this incident, it barely gets a mention. Marquez was 50% of the topics and SEG was the other 50%. The Paco incident barely receives a mention. This all starts at the top, if an assistant coach, which I’ve not verified that is what he is, acts in that manner, his players will follow.

BTW, Kudos to Paco Torres for jumping into the fray and defending his colors!