Sanchez feeling the pain outside Mexico

Oswaldo Sanchez might want to think about burning his passport and never leaving Mexico again.

No, not because U.S. fans absolutely hate his guts, but because the Mexican goalkeeper just hasn't had much fun outside of Mexico over the past eight months.

Counting last night's loss to Montreal in the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals, Sanchez has gone 12 straight games without a win outside of Mexico with both Santos Laguna and Mexico. His last win outside Mexico? A 2-0 Mexico victory against Belize in Houston (it was a World Cup qualifier in Houston, which served as Belize's home leg). The losses have come in six different countries, against teams ranging from a pair of MLS squads to a pair of USL teams.

Sanchez's problems seemed to begin last June, when he was arrested at a Chicago hotel. That arrest came after he was in net for Mexico's 4-0 win against Peru at Soldier Field. Things have gone downhill ever since.

How bad have things been for Sanchez? A look at the list of his teams' results since the Chicago arrest shows you just how bad things have gotten for Sanchez since last June:

Oswaldo Sanchez's recent road results

$6/15/08- beat Belize (with Mexico), 2-0, in Houston

*7/13/08- lost to New England (with Santos Laguna), 1-0, in Foxborough, Mass.

*7/16/08- lost to Chivas USA (with Santos Laguna), 1-0, in Carson, California

*7/20/08- tied Pachuca (with Santos Laguna), 1-1, in Frisco, Texas

+9/23/08- lost to Puerto Rico Islanders (with Santos Laguna), 3-1, in Puerto Rico

+10/2/08- lost to Tauro FC (with Santos Laguna), 2-0, in Panama City

$10/11/08- lost to Jamaica (with Mexico), 1-0, in Jamaica

$10/15/08- tied Canada (with Mexico), 2-2, in Canada

+10/30/08- tied CD Municipal (with Santos Laguna), 4-4, in Guatemala City

$11/19/08- lost to Honduras (with Mexico), 2-0, in Honduras

01/29/09- lost to Sweden (with Mexico), 1-0, in Oakland

$02/16/09- lost to USA (with Mexico), 2-0, in Columbus

+02/25/09- lost to Montreal Impact (with Santos Laguna), 2-0, in Montreal

*-SuperLiga, + CONCACAF Champions League, $- World Cup qualifier

——————-

Admit it, you absolutey LOVE that Sanchez has struggled so badly outside of Mexico (if I forgot to include any of Sanchez's matches from this time period, please send them along).

What do you think of these results? Think someone put a hex on Sanchez? Do you think all the losses to the United States have rendered him useless away from home? Still wondering why Guillermo Ochoa isn't starting for Mexico yet?

This entry was posted in Mexican Soccer. Bookmark the permalink.

57 Responses to Sanchez feeling the pain outside Mexico

1. ImaGoalMan says:

LOL, love the pic, Ives.

Had no idea his record was so terrible outside of Mexico.

2. kevin says:

Karma sucks if your an asshole. He deserves everything he gets

3. RedLine55 says:

HAHAHAHA

GREATEST.PHOTOGRAPH.OF.ALL.TIME.

4. cam says:

good, he’s a total toolshed

5. gofirego says:

every time I watch him, he sucks. even when he makes some good saves, like in Cbus recently, he sucks again before the end of the game.

Really, he must play great in the Mexican league but does anybody think he would ever start in the EPL? Has any Mexican keeper ever started in any Euro 1st division club?

6. Barry Jive and His Uptown Five says:

Sanchez made fun of Luis Arroyave’s Spanish accent during an interview (Spanish is Arroyave’s second language) earlier during that same trip and it has been rough going ever since.

7. Al17 says:

So, who else wants to come to Chicago?

We don’t use no sinkin’ Voo Doo Dolls — LOL.

The best part about that photo is when did he get hurt in the match? After he knew the goal was being scored? We all saw his poor excuse for a fall after the goal and what was worse if you look at the minute or so while he was being treated, he seemed to be complaining about a foul. I hate the S.O.B. Ochoa deserves the start over him for Mexico but as a US fan, I happy every time I see Oswaldo in goal. He was done along time ago.

8. Brant says:

must be the voodoo

9. USA Fan says:

Excellent! My Sanchez voodoo doll has paid dividends!

10. USA Fan says:

DIRTY SANCHEZ!!

11. Ko'd says:

That picture made my day. He is a cheat and a dirty player.

12. Turtle says:

was in a miseable mood….saw this picture…smiling and laughing now. Does that make me a bad person?

13. Sanchez Sux says:

I dislike this person. If I see him in Chicago, I might push him in front of a bus

14. Kartik says:

KARMA !!!!!

By the way Montreal looked good last night. But can they hold on to a 2 goal lead in Mexico? Did they need an additional goal?

I felt bad for Sanchez when his dad during the World Cup but since then he’s been nothing but a jerk. Not only the incidents Ives mentioned but when he tried to trip and injure a defenseless Eddie Johnson also.

15. ECSblows says:

What does a Punk expect? The guy is a liablity

16. J says:

link to youtube.com

another fun feature. hope you’re able to do more of these with other notable mexican players.

17. Joe says:

Montreal looked great last night, hardly like a USL team, but that second goal wasn’t from anything special Montreal did but was from the Santos Defender playing with his head up his a__ and Sanchez being too casual in going for the ball.

As for Montreal, get an away goal and you’re through.

18. Goalscorer24 says:

Those voodoo dolls that were handed out to Mexican fans were actually voodoo dolls of Sanchez! Ha Ha

19. KCB says:

HAHA!

Like Kartik said, it’s all KARMA!

20. joel says:

cry baby!!!

21. jh says:

I’m still pissed about the EJ attempted trip.

F–K Sanchez.

22. rednow.red4ever says:

Haha….good thing Santos couldn’t also play in Interliga (due to Champions’ League commitment). Would have been even more losses for Sanchez.

23. Brock says:

LOL Ives you so funny. pay back is a bit**. Y’all got it right there just is not anything okay with a dirty Sanchez (both kinds)

24. Ben says:

Also, I think it was Sanchez that, during the Hex for the 2006 World Cup, said that Mexico would not only beat the U.S. in Columbus, but that he envisioned it to be an easy game.

25. Johnny says:

well if he won vs peru in june in chicago…i guess the windy city counts as part of mexico? lol

26. MVK says:

“if paybacks a biatch I’ll be in debt forever” – Slug

27. Colin says:

“11/19/08- lost to Honduras (with Mexico), 2-0, in Honduras”

The score was 1-0.

28. cam says:

“Find me a non-Mexican who thinks he is good, and I’ll give you 14 pesos (about a buck).”

bahahahahahahhaha!!!!! props

29. Chris says:

Sanchez just plain sucks. I have no idea why he keeps playing. I can’t remember ever seeing him keep a clean sheet. And he just makes the dumbest mistakes. I guess it just comes with being an ASS

30. Brett says:

Does Oswaldo remind anyone else of Jim Carrey as The Grinch in this photo?

31. Eric Griesheimer says:

good lord, is the man crying?

32. Flyingoose says:

it’s the sanchez voodoo doll i have…

33. Bayerische says:

Though I don’t like the guy, to be fair, his team was blanked in NINE of those games. Can’t win of you score zero goals, as TIm McCarver might say…

34. Joamiq says:

Johnny, the win against Peru was the last win before this wonderful streak started.

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy!

35. imkis32 says:

Just to add to this stat… I went ahead and looked at Oswaldo’s numbers IN Mexico, and realized that in the past 2 tournaments, Oswaldo has only won 2 games outside of Estadio Corona. That’s 14 road games. And only 2 victories.

36. Modibo says:

Let me try to summarize the comments here with an equation.

Sanchez:US fans :: Donovan:Mexican fans?

Except Sanchez does kind of suck. But in terms of the passion that each evokes in opposing fans, maybe they’re somewhat equivalent, no?

37. Landycakes says:

I’m going to have to remember this article the next time that Ives claims that he doesn’t hates Mexican.

Absolutely no class from Ives and the rest of you spazzos. I have a question has Landycakes ever scored a goal when playing for a European team in a real game?

38. Christian says:

Ives doesn’t hate Mexicans.

He knows anything Mexico related will get him hits thus more $$.

Now that Donovan is coming back to MLS, Ives needed to come up with something and you can never go wrong with Oswaldo Sanchez.

Hated by everyone, including me, and I’m mexican.

Don’t get so upset about it Landycakes.

39. 2-0 Way of Life says:

Piss off Landycakes. Oswaldo is a douchebag. Oh, and he is awful, too. I hope he plays for Mexico forever!

40. TomM says:

Definitely deserves a separate You Name That Caption edition.

41. Landycakes says:

So how many goals has Landycakes scored in Europe?

Funny thing is Landycakes is going to go 3 and out in Europe just like the nads.

42. brentmcd says:

great photo. that second goal was a complete horror show for him last night. hahaha

43. ! says:

that’s called karma you dirty sanchez. maybeyou shouldnt have kicked at eddie johnson as he went to celebrate w/ LD after LD scored on you in Arizona. SUCK IT MEXICO! USA! USA! USA!

44. martha c says:

Severely overrated.

that said glad to see him in goal whenever US plays against Mexico. Gives up at least one easy goal a game.

Even more glad he was maced and had his a$$ kicked by CPD

45. DAVE says:

Beasley should send him a “Thinking of you card” and box of tissues for his tears.

46. newyorker says:

Oswaldo, you’ve been served sucka. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA DIRTY SANCHEZ.

47. Dominghosa says:

I smell a You Write the Caption …

48. Ceez says:

Bayerische: SHUT UP! The point is to hate the man. Life ain’t air; we shouldn’t be either.

After all this time, I’m STIILLLLLLLL about the bitchy-cowardly attempt on EJ.

49. Ceez says:

STIILLLLLLLL pissed*

50. Scott A says:

@Landycakes
    So if you dislike one person in a group you hate the whole group? waaahhhhh
    It’s a spaz to hate a rival? waahhh
    What does Donovan scoring in Europe have to do with Sanchez being pisspoor in goal and trying to tackle players? waahhh
    Keep crying

51. Joamiq says:

Ives doesn’t “hates Mexican”. He just knows that we’ll get a kick out of a post like this. There’s nothing wrong with that.

52. nebraskacoog says:

Caption

Sanchez: “TE JURO!!! I Swear, I didn’t touch Donovan in those places! Please don’t take me away!”

53. cammie v says:

I’m confused…was that photo from the Montreal game? If so, I might try to have some sympathy for him, but not very much. That man makes it very difficult to like or respect him. Considering his track record recently, I hope Mexico continues to start him.

54. madmax says:

Swen will be the first to go, then Oswaldo.

55. Beto says:

Cammie v … that photo is from a Mexican league match , Sanchez got hurt of the arm , as a Mexican citizen I can say that i´m reading all the comments of the topic and is sad to admit because Sanchez is Mexican too , but you guys are absolutely right !! is a bad goalkeeper , bad attitude when he lost , i dont know why Sven call Sanchez to be part of the XI on the field … now with Santos against Montreal, the past 11th again USA in the second goal, before that against Canada & Jamaica … WTF !!!!! I want Ochoa to start for Mexicoooo !! Regards !!

56. inkedAG says:

Brant’s post made me laugh out loud! :D

57. Chicho says:

Most Mexicans think he sucks too. Most Mexicans would prefer to see Guillermo Ochoa in goal rather than Dirty Sanchez.