USA vs. Mexico Countdown: Finalists for the SBI Banner Contest

USA Crest    MexicoLogo

Good afternoon folks. The SBI Banner Contest for the upcoming World Cup qualifier between the USA and Mexico has concluded and after judging more than 40 entries we have come up with seven worthy finalists for you to vote on.

For those of you unfamiliar, earlier this week we asked SBI readers to submit their best banner creations with the theme being tied into the U.S. national team and/or the USA-Mexico match. There were plenty of great entries, and some amazing ideas, which made it tough to pick finalists.

In the end, we went with seven finalists which worked both from an idea standpoint and execution standpoint. We feel these are the banners that have the best chance of looking good and generating a response at the USA-Mexico match. The plan is to take the winning banner, the one chosen by SBI readers, and having that banner created and unveiled at the match. If the winning banner is not compatible for duplication, then we will look to have the best banner recreated.

Thanks to everybody who took the time to submit an entry into the contest. We will be hoping to run a post with all of the entries early next week.

Now, on to the finalists. Here were the seven entries we considered the best of the bunch. Now it is your turn to vote and help pick a winner:

El Chupacabra (by Matthew Brock)

ElChupacabraA

Hindsight is 2-0, 2-0 (Jeff Maurer)

Hindsight2020a

Hope, Nope (by Reyn Cabinte)

HopeNope

This Union (by Garrett Smith)

UnityThroughBlooda

You will never win (by Alex Swearingen)

UstedNuncaGanara

More than voodoo (by Anton Jusufi)

MoreThanVoodoo

Hope, Progress, Change (by David A. Wagner)

HopeProgressChange

Now it is time to vote, pick which of these banners do you think is the best to unveil at Wednesday's USA-Mexico match? Cast your vote now:

Voting will close on sunday at 2pm. I will announce the winning banner on Monday afternoon (which is also when I arrive in Columbus)

Which of these banners did you like the best, and why? Was there a banner you were disappointed to not see in the final seven? Do these banners make you even more anxious for next week's game?

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

69 Responses to USA vs. Mexico Countdown: Finalists for the SBI Banner Contest

1. DeLarge says:

Pretty unanimous so far.

2. lou says:

el chubacabra pretty good.

3. RK says:

I vote for yours Ives that should be an option.

4. Joamiq says:

I like the chupacabra one. I think the Hindsight one has too much going on. I don’t think that would actually make for a good looking poster. Hope Nope is OK. This union is… whatever. My Spanish isn’t that great, but Usted Nunca Ganar seems like it has grammatical/usage problems all over the place*. Voodoo looks great and gets extra points for the SBI shout out. Hope, Progress, Change, like Hope Nope, is OK.

So, my vote goes to Voodoo.

*(Formal 2nd person instead of informal? Singular instead of plural? Infinitive instead of future tense? I could be wrong, just doesn’t sound right to me)

5. Blake says:

The hindsight 2-0, 2-0, 2-0 one is brilliant. Also, there was a kid in my high school homeroom named Jeff Maurer who everyone liked, so familiarity points.

6. izzy says:

are the really colorful ones going to be harder to print?

i think 2-0 is good, but will be hard to read at a distance, kinda busy.

7. Luke in NC says:

Ives, you should’ve included the translation for the “el chupacabra” poster:

El Chupacabra is like the Mexican version of big foot (i think known for eating/drinking blood of livestock?).

“vuelve para sangre Mexicana” translates to “returns for Mexican blood” i think…

Personally i’m a fan of that one and the voodoo one….though hindsights 20/20 is good too.

8. Army of Dad says:

Voodoo or 2-0, 2-0.

Hindsight is cool, but voodoo gives a SBI shoutout.

9. Joamiq says:

Oh yeah forgot to mention, Ives, yours was great too

10. izzy says:

i like “chupacabra”. chupacabra is like the mexican boogey man. sucks people/things blood.

it does mean “the chupacabra returns for Mexican blood.”

11. Scott A says:

All good. My faves are chupacabra, hope nope, and voodoo..voted for chupacabra. Looks like 2-0 is winning now and I like it.. but simple posters are usually the best and that ones very busy

12. Ives says:

Guys, I didn’t do one of these. Colin Ferguson submitted the original one with the SHut up Sven and Onyewu.

Also, it should be noted that the entry “You will never win” has an incorrect Spanish translation. It should say “Usted nunca ganara”. A corrected banner will be made if that one wins. I just wanted to point that out before any Mexico fans decided to point it out for us.

13. JeffM says:

Blake, thanks for the props. Though, if everyone liked the Jeff Maurer at your high school, then it was probably a different guy.

These are all pretty awesome. I like Hope/Nope a lot – very of the moment.

14. JohnC says:

The Voodoo one is really good. The Hindsight is clever but is too busy and I agree that it probably won’t look good as a banner. Go with Voodoo- it would be awesome to see it on tv and would represent the best US soccer site online and probably the most dedicated fans.

15. Ives says:

Damn Joamiq, it had to be you to point out the Ganar/Ganara huh? I meant to include a disclaimer with that banner but forgot. Still think it’s a great idea once corrected.

16. Gabe says:

Come on guys… Hope/Nope is the easy winner here!!!

17. Steve says:

I voted for the Voodoo one just cause it has SBI Mafia involved in it. The hindsight one is pretty cool.

18. MVK says:

The Shepard Fairey poster parodys are kinda tired.. Sorry whoever filtered them is PS…

The Hindsight one is the most clever but I agree the design isnt that strong but its not like any of the other ones are that attractive (BFA Graphic Design, I actually know what I am talking about this time) sorry to be a critic when I didnt submit though. The Hindsight one also probably urks the Mexicans the most so thats also something it has going for it.

19. SFTony says:

These aren’t even the best ones i saw the other day.

20. PCFC says:

I love Hope, Nope.

Simply glorious for it’s time. I really hope to see this on TV.

21. efren says:

Ives:

Simple grammatical corrections:

Chupacabra: Should translate as:

“VUELVE POR MAS)SANGRE MEXICANA”

The other one should read:

“USTEDES NUNCA GANAN” or

“USTEDES NO SABEN GANAR”

I personally chose the vodoo one…

Thanks, Ives, for your incredible blog… Keep at it. YOU’ve GOT HUNDREDS OF TEXAS FOLLOWERS…

Efren
    Texas Soccer Republic

22. Chupacabra says:

I like El Chupacabra, but I’m biased.

23. hokieunited says:

More than Voodoo for me.

24. James says:

I believe “Hope, Progress, Change” has already led the US to one big victory this year, how about another on Wednesday!

25. Nick C says:

Where’s the “Shut Up, Sven” one?

26. John Nichols says:

I didn’t vote for hope/nope because it would be difficult to read, and I don’t know how much Mexico’s fans relate to Sven. I want them to see a banner and remember being owned. Chupacabra gets my vote ’cause they hate Lando so much.

27. nate says:

What happened to the Beckham caption contest?

28. hokieunited says:

Is there anywhere were we can see all the entries in the contest?

29. luis says:

Does anyone else think that the “Hope, Progress, Change” has the players with the wrong labels?

I think it should be : Dempsey (Change), Donovan (Hope), Adu (progress)

Great idea tho!

30. izzy says:

the problem with the first obama one is that dempsey is wearing his FFC shirt, not the US.

31. Bob says:

they are all good except the obama wannabies.

The US does not need hope to beat mexico.

Viva U S A

32. dallen says:

Ives, sorry I couldn’t get this done sooner. Busy at work…here’s a link to it if you still would look at entries:
    link to i292.photobucket.com

33. A.S. says:

Ives is splitting the “Hope” vote by including two banners with that theme. Boo! :-)

34. Dave in San Jose says:

I like Hindsight and Voodoo. I voted for Hindsight but see the point that Voodoo may be less busy and therefore more visible in stadium. I’m happy with either.

“Shut up, Sven!”

35. Kevin says:

If people immediately knew what el chupacabra was, that would be the winner. having said that they all kick ass!

36. kevin says:

these are all awesome!!! great work

37. EssEff says:

Yes, excellent work everyone! I voted Hindsight, since it is so clever. Perhaps to tidy it up a little, remove one of the 2:0 references. After all, the saying only refers to 20:20. But, I don’t want to be disrespectful by leaving out one of our glorious, victorious scorelines!

Is there any other rivalry as heated? Ok, maybe, but this one just really riles me up.

That sound you’ll hear on Wed. is Mexico’s ego again being crushed.

38. martha c says:

Still vote for the US VS. Argentina B team

39. ThaDeuce says:

please explain el chupacabre and any other posts in Spanish. I don’t speak it, and I don’t want to vote not for them because of that.

40. Fumar says:

I still like “Shut Up Sven!” the best.

41. Josh in SLC says:

Ives,

I know you are of some hispanic descent Ives, but I’m gonna have to suggest some spanish corrections as a spanish teacher. Usted nunca Ganará is too formal in my opinion. I mean it’s Mexico! So if you’re going to go with a singular 3rd person “Nunca Ganarás ” would be the better way to put it.

But in my opinion the best way to put it is either “Nunca Ganarán” would be better or “Mexico Nunca Ganará” if you’re trying to be specific. (No my accent marks don’t work)

As for the Chupacabra poster. Chupacabra is a mythical creature that sucks the blood of farm animal. And the translation of “vuelve para sangre mexicana” means returns for mexican blood.

Anywho my vote is for the SBI Mafia Poster.

42. izzy says:

Posted by: Kevin | February 06, 2009 at 06:16 PM

agreed.

43. bolivia88 says:

just because i know i spent more time on mine than anybody else here, i figure ill post it in hopes it gets at least some positive response and wasnt a waste of my time. (/me consoles self)

HOMELAND SECURITY AND NATIONAL GUARD:
    link to ohhaithar.com

44. KC says:

I love them all! Hopefully they all find a spot at the game.

45. Scott A says:

Dallen and bolivia88, both look very professional. Even if they’re not in this contest, hold tight to the design, I’d love to see them at future US-Mexico games in the stands

46. Scott says:

As a big X-file fan, I knew what the chupacabra was (they did a great episode on it) and voted for that, but they’re all great.

Only 5 and 1/2 days away. Can’t wait.

47. Scott says:

Bolivia88 – well done. Great stuff as well.

48. Kevin says:

Bolivia88 I like yours as much as the other “Obama” posters. Very well done!

49. Steve says:

Okay everybody, the voodoo one has to win. Not because of the SBI Mafia, but because of this new story:

link to soccerbyives.net

Can’t believe these people. Voodoo dolls? You’re freakin Mexico? Have some pride. HA ha.

50. Jacob A. says:

I still love the chupacabra one, still have it as my wallpaper, but Bolivia88’s is awesome.

Unrelated, but I bought my T&T tickets today, section 107, Row A. First row baby!

51. Travis in Miami says:

Chupacabra is good and I almost voted for the one by the guy with the last name Schweriger just cuz i loved Deadwood. Voodoo hands down though

52. ThaDeuce says:

who all is in the SBI MAFIA poster? I can’t figure out the guy 2nd to the right.
    Gooch—Boca—Beas—Donovan—Dempsey—???—Howard

53. ThaDeuce says:

Is it Ching, or Bradley??or Pablo??

54. soccerroo says:

They are all really good. My spanish stinks so I went with an english one. Hindsight. Keep up the good work Mafia.

55. RSF says:

voodoo by far

56. Chris says:

The Union is awesome, but to be really awesome, it needs Jose Torres next to McBride.

57. Ted Tran says:

Are you saying that Landon looks like the hideos monster? Man not even the Mexican fans are that hash. JK

The problem with the chupacabra is that it’s urban legend that originates from Puerto Rico. You just stereotyping that all Hispanics believe in the chupacabra.

58. William says:

I was wondering what David Wagner has been up to. But I voted for “Hope/Nope.”

And enough with the puppet crap. Grown men shouldn’t like puppets, cartoons or collect action figures.

59. silent e says:

Ted, you should investigate your accusations better. I live in Texas, where our significant Hispanic population originates largely from Mexico and Central America, not from the Caribbean. I’ve been hearing about Chupacabra since at least my college days which, not to date myself, goes back 15 years. A simple search on Wikipedia will reveal that although the legend may have originated there it has spread throughout Latin America, the parts of the United States with a large Hispanic population, and points beyond.

Personally, I think a “La Llorona” based image would have been even better, with a weeping Virgin of Guadalupe throwing Rafa, Oswaldo Sanchez, and Borgetti in the river. But who am I to speak–I contributed nothing.

I think I’ll vote for Chupacabra because I like to stereotype.

60. Dave says:

I like the last hope, progress, change one because it would be great for this game, but we could use it at other matches in the future, where the other wouldn’t work against other opponents

61. P-ray says:

All very good, but Hindsight 2-0 2-0 2-0 is definitely the most clever. It deserves to win.

62. P-ray says:

All of these are very good, but Hindsight 2-0 is definitely the most clever. It deserves to win.

63. John says:

Good banner but remember, the “you” in English, in this context, is in its plural form. “You will never win.” The literal translation in Spanish does not have the same impact as it does in English.

1. Ustedes nunca ganarán.

(If the above is chosen instead of the simple present-“ganan”- you must put an accent on the last syllable which is the “a”. If not, the word “ganara” turns into a verb in the subjunctive mood. By the way, it does not matter if it is all in capitals, the accent should be present).

2. Ustedes nunca ganan.

3. México nunca ganará.

4. You can also write: “Méjico nunca ganará.” Spaniards spell Mexico with a “J” and Mexicans hate it.

64. shao2007 says:

BOLIVIA 88 GREAT JOB!!!

HOMELAND SECURITY / NATIONAL GUARD

Is The BEST!!!

65. Micronesia Justin says:

Hindsight is too cluttered. Not sure how Sven fits in with the banner.

66. Prots says:

Hindsight is definitely the most clever and will irk the Mexicans the most! If it’s blow up huge, it’ll look great! SBI can put their name on any banner, so that shouldn’t be a deciding factor.

67. mb says:

i can’t believe my Chupacabra is only in 4th place. craziness. even behind an Obama knockoff? it seems like everyone who knows what the chupacabra is (the well-read and Mexicans?) likes it the best. i think it would be the obvious choice for irking Mexican fans. i think it would also be the best looking one when printed. but then again, i may be biased.

my critique:
    hindsight has too much going on, too many colors, too many pictures. sven? good idea, execution could have been much cleaner.
    voodoo is good and simple. i think the pictures are a little too small and hard to identify. i don’t see why we need to help radioshack/blockbuster with their product promotion. i also think its odd that SBI Mafia is in bigger font than the message. the font is kind of hard to read too.
    hope, progress, change. obama knockoff. not very appealing to me. i guess it appeals to 53% of americans and 70% of Mexicans.