Ready for D.C. United to leave D.C.?

2008_017

The long and torturous quest to land a soccer-specific stadium in the Washington D.C. area has hit a brick wall and has left D.C. United with no choice but to look elsewhere for a future home. As a result, D.C. United could soon become Maryland United. Not in name, but certainly in location.

The Washington Post reported today that D.C. United is committed to moving the club to Prince Georges County, Maryland in order to help United land a 24,000 "Urban Soccer Stadium."

The declaration came just a day after MLS commissioner Don Garber had some stern words about the inability to land a stadium in the D.C. area. Garber stated rather emphatically that the process had "Gone on too long" and that the club needed to resolve its stadium issue soon.

It appears that resolution will take D.C. to Maryland, a move that might not go over well with all D.C. fans, and probably isn't going to make visiting fans very happy either.

What do you think of this development? As a D.C. fan, do you just want a stadium already, or are you ready to keep D.C. United at RFK until a home can be found in the District? Are you an opposing fan who used to look forward to road trips to D.C.? Think this is just another threat by D.C. ownership to get D.C. officials to finally put together a concrete stadium plan together?

Share your thoughts on the D.C. United stadium situation in the comments section below.

This entry was posted in Major League Soccer, MLS- D.C. United. Bookmark the permalink.

87 Responses to Ready for D.C. United to leave D.C.?

1. EdTheRed says:

It just is what it is. Wish it were different, but the team’s gotta do what the team’s gotta do. As long as it’s near a metro station, I’ll be there week in and week out. Otherwise, well, I love the team and all, but I’ve never had to budget the purchase of a car into my season ticket package…why, that’d be worth almost half a season at the Dan Snyder Experience at FedEx Field!

2. Scott A says:

Please please please keep it in DC

3. DCUnitedFan says:

As a fan who commutes from Montgomery County, MD to DC for the games, I really could care less. As long as the new stadium is walking distance to a metro and a pub I am all good. This will be a good indicator to find out who really loves United and who doesn’t. If you are really a fan of the team, you will travel to see them wherever their home games are. I am happy they are getting stadium, that will make the Red Bulls stadium look amateur (lol!!!)

4. Reid says:

As a Revs fan who would who has been to DCU games before, I hope it doesnt kill the feeling at those games. Having been to DC, NE, and NJRB there is no way to compare NE/NJ to a DC game.

But as long as the new stadium is still on the metro line it will be fine, i just hope they start their games 15-30 min earlier in order to get back into the city, or for VA fans to get back to their houses at a decent time(for saturday & sunday games).

5. BlueWhiteLion says:

DCU fans only rival baseball’s Marlins in their quest for a new stadium . . . (look at today’s commissioner’s fiasco that brought a vote to a screeching halt)

DCU is likely hoping this will force the mayor and city to make a deal, or lose out forever. If the city continues to stonewall progress on a stadium deal, I would fully expect DC to move on. The team needs to.

Questions: what would this do to their name? What is the likelihood of blowing up RFK and building there?

I would hate to see them move, but a stadium in Maryland is better than a thankless quagmire in an ineptly run city.

6. mighty! says:

as a DC resident… I am super stoked that United is finally making moves to get a stadium…

Fenty and the commissioners can rot in hell for all I care… none of them will get my vote in the future…

7. MiamiAl says:

DC United (and MLS for that matter) are victims of the worlds economic crisis. The D.C. government cannot justify a 200 million dollar major public appropriation, especially in these bad economic times.

As long as it stays on the metro line what difference does it make to a tourist if they have to a P.G County metro stop as opposed to the RFK metro stop?

8. Scott says:

Let’s have it come to Maryland. If DC lacks the intelligence to allow United a new stadium, that’s DC’s fault.

@ BlueWhiteLion: I’m sure they’d stay DCU. (The Redskins are still the Washington Redskins). I’ve heard rumors that the ‘Skins owner would want to build a new stadium, with a dome, on RFK’s site so he can host a superbowl.

9. Blake says:

Garber should STFU. What is that, a threat? What if DCU doesn’t get a new stadium? He’ll move them Ottawa and call them Club America Canada?

I’m sick of Garber. I wish Gazidis had stayed and taken over.

10. hank says:

PG United has a great ring to it….

11. Dave Clark says:

Other teams whose names should change according to the logic of “they don’t play in the city so they can’t have the name” even though they still play in the metro area.

LA

San Jose

Dallas

Salt Lake

Chicago

12. BlueWhiteLion says:

During a really rough game, they could be called PG-13 United

13. Dancy says:

The sky is not falling. They are talking about a stadium that is on a Metro line just outside of the district. The only real negative I see is that it will be a worse drive for most fans from Virginia.

Otherwise it is only a few stops on the Metro farther for some people. We are talking an average increase in peoples trip by maybe 10 minutes. With the forever discussed possibility of a purple line (talk about political feet dragging gone bad) and options for running the yellow line further on game days it is even possible that this would lead to less travel time for the average United fan.

The new Stadium would be less than 2 hours drive from Philly and easier to get lodging near by. It is shame that the Anacostia sight didn’t work out, but this location is fine.

14. BlueWhiteLion says:

True, Dave, but I am also thinking about how the Marlins would be required to change from Florida to “Miami Marlins”, etc. Sometimes there are stipulations, depending on the make-up of the money trail.

15. ricecloudnine says:

So, are we going to start calling it the Red Bull New Jersey now?

Assuming the metro stops they are talking about, this stadium would be a most a mile or 2 farther from downtown DC than downtown NY to their new stadium or from Toyota Park to downtown Chicago.

Would it be nice to have a downtown location? Yes, but this is no different than many of the other MLS teams.

16. Rafael says:

This stadium issue has been going on for too long. DC government drop the ball on this. Great job Mayor Fenty!

I just want United to have their own stadium period! It can be in VA,MD,or DC. As long as United can stop playing in the run down RFK. Where lights go out in the middle of a match.

17. Dave says:

If its within a 15-20 minute walking distance of a metro stop, I could care less anymore.

Just give us a new stadium!

18. cam says:

yeah, that really sucks about the marlins… but they’ll figure it out, that team isn’t leaving.

dont the redskins play out in prince george county? they draw more than 90k per game. dc has always been snooty when it comes to stadium negotiations. get it over with and move to maryland. man united plays just outside of manchester, kinda like dc would. didn’t really seem to hurt them.

19. martha in miami says:

Having a stadium right off the Metro stop is sweet…however, the politics of building a stadium, and aquiring the land allocation, let alone the High Caliber Design costs…yikes, says the Architect whom went to high school in P.G. County…of course my best DC game was on June 10th on a Thursday, my DC fan pals flew me up as it was my actual birthdate, and treated me as the FUSION played there…was fantastic to be there, and I was on the field at the half, for a special b day salute…but RFK is a cave compared to the intamacy we created at Lockhart in the first SSS in the MLS. So trust me with the original rabid fans in the MLS, an SSS will enhance them greatly…they do deserve it says the Metro/Fusion/Redbulls fan.

20. Rafael says:

Blake: This is not Garber’s issue. If anything he is doing the right thing by pushing the issue.

Look, United has been in the league since 1996. They have always had great fan support from the beginning. United has lost a ton of money during those years because they are leasing RFK every freaking season.

When United plays, I want all my money to go to United!

21. martha in miami says:

OOOPPPS that’s intimacy…and usually I am quite good with that word, lol!

22. Win says:

So what happens to RFK when United leaves? Does the stadium simply cease to exist?

I know United doesn’t add much but DC certainly couldn’t pull a profit on the stadium with just the Eagle Bank Bowl and 2 or 3 concerts a year.

23. PCFC says:

Like always…easy public transportation is key.

24. nico says:

NY plays in NJ
    Dallas plays in Frisco
    Chicago plays in Bridgeview
    LA plays in Carson
    Colorado plays in Commerce City
    etc…

I always hoped MLS would focus on the urban core. I’m sure some stadium sites have some density surrounding them, but nothing beats having your team be part of the central district’s fabric. oh well, I guess as Americans we are supposed to embrace sprawl.

25. inkedAG says:

Get Nick Sankeiwicz on the case! He’ll get your stadium done in 60-90 days!!

HAHAHAHA!!

26. ag nigrin says:

No matter where United end up they will still be the DC Scum to me!

27. sack says:

Any DC fan will tell you that if you dont play in the same state or city as your name it needs to change. So i expect to see loser DC fans advocating a change to Maryland United or PG United soon.

Hope your stadium is a a cookie cutter piece of crap.

28. dave b says:

Stupid move. RFK is their stadium alone, is a fairly good size and has a perfect location. No reason not to stay there and wait out the economic slump until they can do something in the district.

29. hokieunited says:

I have always wanted the stadium to be in the city, but this has been brought about by the city’s refusal to get the ball rolling on getting our stadium built.

And it can’t be blamed on the economic crisis. This has been ongoing for years, and in fact, Fenty made it one of his promises, pre-election.

But the city put all their marbles into National Park, which was a terrible choice. The citizens fronted most of the $700 million for the stadium, and they (Lerners) still struggle to pay the rent on the stadium (but continue to get a free pass).

Whereas United was offering to pay 50% of the $250 million it would have cost to build the stadium in the city.

But, I think its the right choice by United. For too long we have been getting screwed by the city, and its time we get a stadium, and stop paying rent at a run down joint, where they can’t even guarantee that the lights stay on.

As for me, it won’t affect the amount of games I go to, provided it is nearby to a metro station (which it appears it will).

And though I doubt it will happen, I really wish that we would drop the name DC. Don’t want to be associated with them if we are not going to be playing in the city. Simple as.

As for the future of RFK, it is rumoured that Daniel Synder wants it torn down, so that he can rebuild a new stadium there, and move the Redskins in, within the next 20 years or so. Would not surprise me if the city bent over backwards for that, immediately.

30. smits says:

Boo! blame the Nationals. From what I’ve heard the DC District Council was going to help United build but went with a baseball stadium when the Expos decided to move. The Poplat Point mock-ups looked awesome too bad that’s been scrapped.

The root of the blame is really MLS owners that are looking for a handout when it comes to building stadiums though as if soccer in the US where on the same level as these other sports. They need to just fork up the cash and build it themselves.

31. martha in miami says:

OOOOFFFFFFF! You had to mention my Marlins saga…and I cried when they tore down that beloved Orange Bowl, with beloved Gator/Fusion briefly in 2001/ International Soccer memories! However, they SAID the rectractable roof design would go over the adjacent (SSS)stadium to be built for the new/returned MLS team (formerly Fusion soon to be FCB Miami or some form of Barca)…and AM WAITING…they are a mess at best and a disaster at worst!!!

32. DC fan in VA says:

I’d rather risk falling concrete at RFK than to schlep out to PG Co. for every game!!! BOOOOOO!

33. J says:

for those of us who don’t know, about how many miles would this location be from RFK?

34. mighty! says:

loser dc fans???

those were your boys that got crapped on back in november, wasn’t it??

at least we won’t be in New Jersey….

35. Chris says:

Fans should boycott. This is terrible. We need to be moving towards urban stadiums.

36. Mingjai says:

Real Salt Lake plays in Sandy…

They could have put the stadium on the Utah State Fairgrounds near downtown SLC, to continue nico’s thought, but instead the stadium is in Sandy, 10 miles south of downtown. Nice stadium, though.

At least they didn’t put it down in Utah County on the Geneva Steel property like was being floated around.

37. Chest Rockwell says:

Win:

DC will probably demolish RFK to either make room for Dan Snyder’s wet dream stadium or for something else.

For visiting fans, a trip to RFK is totally reliant on Metro for pre- and post-game festivities. It’s not like you can walk out of RFK and 5 minutes later you’re at a pub. None of the east coast teams would take a scenic route through DC to RFK; it’s all 95, Beltway, and 295. Thus, I’m really not sure why opposing fans who looked forward to coming to RFK would suddenly be turned off. I love RFK, but that’s because of all that I’ve experienced there. If I were a visiting fan, I would probably think the place is deplorable. Considering the improvement in amenities and the likely development that would be around the stadium (which would have to mean at least one bar), this should make road trips that much more attractive.

I don’t think this is posturing for United. I don’t think there’s anyone attached to the team that has more patience for dealing with the city government, and the economy basically was the last nail in the coffin. The District might come up with a surprise in the 2-3 years DC would have to remain at RFK, but I expect that about as much as the CBA negotiations resulting in the salary cap going into the double digits.

38. Connor B says:

How can Don Garber say this has gone on long enough but award Seattle a new team and next Miami who will play in a college football stadium?

Its all a cash grab for the commish these days…disappointing

39. Mikeype says:

DC United just needs a new stadium, a soccer stadium! Who cares whether it is in the district or not. If it is just outside the district, it is not that much further away from their original plans of Anacostia.

Seeing the stadium plans before, fans have to be stoked. First, Home Depot Center, then Red Bull Arena and DC United’s stadium. Three quality “soccer” stadiums in MLS with capacities 24,000 and over.

40. Connor B says:

Dave b…you’re right they should stay at RFK…its better than most MLS stadiums. In the city, on the metro line, not enormous, and its THEIR stadium….there are no other tenants. Yes its a little two big, but its not worth rushing a new stadium.

41. BlueWhiteLion says:

Martha, what on EARTH did that commissioner wait till today to object?

Hokie–agreed, this was not because of the economic crisis.

I would be all for scrubbin’ “DC” from the name, except it sounds so cool. I can’t imagine it being anything else. Maryland United? Right now, though it is DC Untied, unless they get something done somewhere. (no, that is not a typo)

42. Miguel says:

Relocation, Relocation, Relocation! Maryland United (although I’m still trying to figure out what exactly did they unite). Ha, ha! Couldn’t have happened to a nicer bunch, eh. Actually, I was hoping DCs move would be to Baltimore. The closer to NJ the better for road trips. Now we’ll see how many DC dbags bail on their team.

43. Eric in Baltimore says:

@J

The three sites (apparently they are looking at 7 in the County) mentioned were around the Morgan Avenue and Largo Town Center metro stations. Essentially either 4 or 5 stops past the current station for RFK. That’s about 15 minutes more on the train.

Driving is a little more complicated because, depending on where one is coming from, these locations are either a minor change in driving time, or they are a major addition to driving time. It all depends on exactly where someone might be coming from.

You might think that moving the stadium to Maryland would make it a more convenient trip for Marylanders, but in some cases these locations will be less convenient.

In the end though, it doesn’t matter. These are growing pains. United has to get out of RFK for financial reasons, and DC was simply unwilling to help broker a deal, so it was time to tell them to piss off and go where the team was wanted. Maryland.

44. Reid says:

How does the new Lyon stadium cost 100mil euros and the dc stadium cost $250mil?

For a possible 20 games a year does it have to be state of the art…. it would be nice but not neccesary.

avg attendance 20K (approx) new stadium 24k ie 20k fans are going there no matter what, so costing another $100mil (throwing that # out there) to be state of the art in order to attract another 4k fans, honestly i dont think its worth it.

my $.02…. and let me know if i’m talking aout of my ass

45. Tony in Quakeland says:

Never been to a DC United home game, but I love the way the atmosphere comes across on televison. I genuinely hope that United fans are well served by any new stadium and that the atmoshpere only gets better.

46. Raghu says:

This sucks. I’m a DC resident, don’t want the tax hike for a new stadium, and don’t want to see them leave the city. Wish we could have had some sort of public private partnership to renovate/redo RFK. Its def. a let down. Fenty even announced at a DC United game that we were getting a new stadium, but I don’t blame him for not wanting to raise taxes for it in this climate.

47. RedBULLsfan says:

Wouldnt it be funny if they move to the burbs and then they’re attendance tanks and then all the sniping they’ve done about MLS NY attendance comes back to bite them in the ass.

48. Brett says:

Why don’t they just renovate/remodel RFK? The Nats don’t play there anymore and as far as I know DC doesn’t have any other outdoor sports teams.

49. BlueWhiteLion says:

I don’t think you can compare RFK and DC to Qwest and the Sounders. It is about money/revenue. DC doesn’t have it.

50. the_slammer says:

For everyone asking why they can’t stay in RFK: THEY LOSE MONEY EVERY YEAR THEY PLAY THERE. RFK is not a financially viable option.

51. Eugene says:

This is no different than having a NY Red Bulls stadium in Harrison *NJ*.

This is part of the DC metro area and it’s on a metro stop. I think it’s right for the team ownership and the league to play hardball in order to get this resolved, especially for one of the most storied teams in the league, so the district will either have to get serious (and get real) about making DCU a proposal to stay, or lose it’s team and the revenue from them to the burbs.

52. kebzach says:

I enjoy reading the musings of soccer fans who have failed to notice how other sports leagues have struggled to build downtown stadiums, until just in the last 20 years. For every Camden Yards, for example, there was a Joe Robbie stadium built out in the middle of nowhere. For a more current example, ask yourself where the new “Dallas” Cowboy stadium is going? Or, where they think a new NFL stadium would go in “Los Angeles”?

It is what it is and until soccer fans pony up to 3-5X the price for land in the city, that teams are paying in the burbs, it will stay that way.

Be happy you’re getting a stadium, DC fans. And to those of you who won’t follow the team out to PG County…you will be missed, but also replaced in time.

53. kebzach says:

Posted by: Brett

____________________________

You’ve never been to RFK I see. For one, it would be literally a $ 200-300M project to re-do the stadium and second, just because it’s in the district already doesn’t guarantee that DC officials would be any more willing to work with DCU on that possibility.

54. Aljarov says:

Suburban Stadia are white elephants.

They are more likely to be the end of MLS than the foundation for it’s future.

55. kebzach says:

Suburban Stadia are white elephants.

They are more likely to be the end of MLS than the foundation for it’s future.

Posted by: Aljarov

____________________________________

Why? You act like any of these stadiums will still be viable, prime choices in 20-30 years when in fact, in 20-30 years MLS teams will be doing exactly what all other pro sports teams do these days- asking for newer facilities. Those newer facilities can be located anywhere (in theory).

56. j1m says:

So, what you are saying Ives, is that, unlike the past, they will FINALLY have a legitimate claim to an “English” team moniker:

The DC Rovers…

57. J says:

erin in bmore, thanks a lot for the info.

58. Matt Mathai says:

So long as there’s Metro access, it’s fine. If DC didn’t care enough to try and keep the team, they can go pound sand.

The name will stay the same, much as it has for the NY Giants, Manchester United, etc.

Let’s get a stadium anywhere in the metro area and start making some money.

Selfishly, my drive to games will be 20 minutes shorter.

59. Bobbie S. says:

I can’t wait to hear what Bobby Boswell thinks of all of this.

60. Paul says:

I am a little concerned about people saying that the Metro is a viable option to get to a PG stadium. The Redskins play in PG, and how many people take the metro to the Skins? None. Its a joke, the metro is almost empty after the Skins. I agree that RFK isn’t viable, and the Poplar Point thing is a disaster, but I worry moving to PG is effectively shutting out the VA suburbs. As far as pubs go, good luck with that in PG. New development, if any ever occurs, would take years. Just look at Nats Park. With the current economic environment, everything is on hold. And unlike an MLB team, United doesn’t have the resources to move to PG and sit for 10 years until development might show up.

61. Oranje Mike says:

One day I hope MLS gets respect. How many clubs are turned away from the city they are supposed to represent? Bridgeview isn’t Chicago, Carson isn’t LA and Maryland isnt DC.

62. Kevin says:

Posted by: RedBULLsfan

When exactly did NY get an MLS team? That’s funny, because I swear I heard that there is a team in New Jersey, but I’ve never heard about anything in New York.

And DC fans are not the lazy bums NYC fans are; they will go an extra 20 minutes to see their team play. Hell, the DCU supporters always vastly outnumber ESC at the Swamp, so I doubt that attendance will suffer more than 1,000 per game.
    That’s cute, though, that you even thought that NJ might gain some advantage of any kind over DC United.

63. joel says:

i am sure everyone prefers to stay in dc but the club needs its own stadium. its a few metro stops further so all in all its positive step…hopefully its gets sorted out soon and we have a home.

64. Shmenge says:

If it’s on the Metro line, what’s the difference?

Nobody stayed near RFK and walked a couple blocks or drank near RFK and walked a couple blocks anyway.

Besides, by the time you rounded the corner by the Armory and walked up to the stadium, it was 10 minutes from the Metro stop to RFK anyway.

65. Gary says:

“So, are we going to start calling it the Red Bull New Jersey now?”

so you mean like they were originally named?

66. onionsack says:

Hey Kevin, just because Ricardo Montalb├ín died recently it doesn’t mean you can take over as overseer of Fantasy Island.

Your “tradition” is over Maryland United. When Obama said he was gonna clean up Washington..he meant it.

67. silverrey says:

Right now RFK and the land surrounding it are all federally owned and DC United pays rent. Mayor Fenty ~really~ wants the Redskins to move back and build a new stadium there, and may have the land turned over similar to Poplar Point. He’s already approached Snyder about it. So no go for DC United there.

As hokieunited stated earlier, the Nats really screwed the pooch for DCU. Fenty was against paying for Nats Stadium from the get go. Now he’s totally gun shy as has been shown by his wishy-washy Poplar Point stand (even after promising DCU new digs right before he got elected). Although, the more I read about it, MacFarlane might have been overly greedy in his clauses to develop Poplar Point and may have used DCU in that respect (he did get his dinero from developing after all). I’m pretty angry at all sides that the ball was dropped for Poplar Point.

DC United truly deserves its stadium. If it needs to be another ten minutes out, so be it, as long as it still has a connection to the Metro. My bad feelings for Fenty aside, It really should be closer to downtown – the fans truly deserve that!

68. the_slammer says:

@Paul

Tons of people, myself included, take the Metro to Redskins games, get off at Morgan Blvd, and make the 20+ minute walk to FedEx. If the new DC stadium is within a 10 minute walk of Metro there will be no excuse for not taking it to games. People are right when they say there’s nothing near or around RFK aside from the stadium and some rowhouses…all this means to the metro rider is just an extra 10 minutes out from the downtown drinking establishments.

69. cb says:

DC should besiege RFK and lay waste to the lands around it, but sparing the white house. this from a red bulls fan.

70. Fredo says:

This is my gripe:

MLS is its infancy, is doing great for such a young league with its TV deals, stadium-building and slowly-increasing attendance.

Why the hell are we bytching about stadiums being built just outside all of our respective cities? We have a lotta balls….

71. dealer2 says:

For those not from DC, PG is the worst place in the entire region for a soccer stadium, that is still serviceable by Metro.

And I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Maryland legislature give a big NO to the proposal anyway.

So don’t give up hope just yet for a SSS in DC.

72. rdg says:

We are Washington DC, and we hate all of the teams that brand our name.

That’s why we push them to Maryland.

The Wizards got lucky, they can play where Georgetown plays.

DC ?United won’t get to keep RFK because they’ll destroy it for the Redskins to build a dome.

73. DC Josh says:

I have lived in DC my entire life and have supported DC United since their inception.

-RFK (60,000+ capacity) is the oldest and crummiest stadium I’ve ever been to.
    -It’s over 30 years old with no updates.
    -No other sports or events are held in the stadium.
    -It’s falling apart, remember the lighting fiasco last season?
    -Although we routinely bring 18,000+ to games, DC United loses money every game because the lease is so expensive.
    -Worst concessions ever, you get to pick from chicken fingers, hot dogs, brats, nachos, and I don’t even think they have burgers.
    -It is still painted in the Redskins burgundy and gold.

They HAVE to get out of that stadium and into a soccer specific stadium. As the best team in the history of MLS, we deserve a stadium of our own. DC doesn’t want us in there because they want a baseball team (we averaged better attendance than the Nats), so we will take our team wherever we can.

It’s not that big of a deal that it might be in PG county, except the bad areas. It will only be minutes from the DC border, and a short walk from metro. The virginians can handle if they are really fans.

74. briank says:

I have not read all of the posts so apologies if this has been mentioned,…DCU has been trying to get a stadium built for how long? And yet the Nationals show up and have a stadium thrown up like nobodies business. I don’t blame Garber for speaking out. This is a joke. Move to Maryland.

75. Tim F. says:

I think Alexandria, Virginia is the perfect place to build a soccer specific stadium.

76. Andy says:

Let’s be real. The proposed locations are only four and five stops down the blue line from RFK Stadium. People getting worked up over the “not in DC” thing aren’t going to be happy no matter what.

77. Don says:

Positive steps by the ownership group to get this done, one way or another. As a point of reference, here is the approximate distance the stadium would be from the center of downtown compared to some other stadiums.

Seattle: 1 mile
    Toronto: 2.5 miles
    Harrison: 8 miles (to Manhattan)
    DC (new location): 8 miles
    RSL: 12 miles
    Chicago: 12 miles
    Philadelphia: 14 miles

All in all, not too bad. And most importantly, it’s on the same subway line RFK is on, so just a five more stops.

78. dealer2 says:

Sure, a SSS in PGC isn’t apocalyptic. Just ordinary.

Think about beautiful it would be… a well-designed, brightly lit SSS across the short bridge to National Park on a summer night. Wow.

DCU’s stadium could become a national sports icon, instead of another suburban soccer compound. Nothing against RSL, Dallas or the rest, but they only functional. DCU’s stadium could become a shrine.

If only Fenty stops being a jerkoff and the Nats correct the “$700 million tax boondoggle” meme, it could still happen.

If DCU can hold out for a year or more, maybe things will change.

79. flowmo33 says:

why does every dc team have toooooooo go into maryland? im a dc fan of every sport, but damnit i live in virginia. pretty sure theres more land and more than half the fans are from va. are the taxes better or something. put the stadium near dulles cus leesburg is blowin up. dc will never leave the area, but screw maryland, va is right next door(plenty of room, very wealthy area). whatev im goin to rfk to beat the hell out of costa rica no matter what.

80. flowmo33 says:

the metro goes everywhere in va! mad space for a new stadium. vienna, springfield? good spots people, va is the most supportive state without a pro team stadium. and damnit we deserve it. maryland is an awful state if u havent been. worst drivers ever……..everr!!! springfield is perfect for a stadium, mad room, metro close, latino influence. theyll still be dc but finally makin a smart decision to go to va.

81. Gary says:

“Hell, the DCU supporters always vastly outnumber ESC at the Swamp”

hmmm i guess i missed every single game that DC came up 95 for, cuz every game i’ve been to there was maybe 50-100 united scum and as per usual 250+ in 101.

82. Red Card says:

Although DCU has been very tough on the pitch against its opponents, their owners have been very weak dealing with the local politicians. Reality is what this decision is all about. I strongly congratulate DCU, its fans and MLS on this important decision.

83. newyorker says:

I’m not a DC fan but it sucks that it has to come down to this where DC United will likely move out of the district. I wouldn’t blame the ownership of DC as they worked hard to place a stadium in a underdeveloped area and repeately offered to pay as much of the cost of construction as they possibly could afford.

That said, I think if the new DC stadium is at or near a Metro line and other mass transit it will still be just as viable if not more so.

As for the changing the name of the team I think that is ridiculous. DC United has been one of the best MLS teams in attendance and has a rich history of winning, despite the results of the last two seasons. I mean DC united is one of the most recognized names in the MLS and has marketing value. I’m glad that the RedBull Arena is under construction and I hope you DC fans get your stadium built soon.

84. Manndibles says:

The idea of moving DC United, a team with such a rabid core of fans, to a car-only accessible dump in PG County???? Truly depressing.

There is plenty of good real estate within the District for them to get started on. Further, the key to DC United’s ‘survival’ as a top team is keeping it an urban team. There is nothing like being able to get a few beers in ya, get on the metro with fellow fans all moving in the same direction, and head into the stadium….all without driving. Alas, but MLS is only focused on the family. Which is why Beckham should leave and go to AC Milan. Pathetic.

85. stoked says:

It’s a business decision, nothing personal. These are tough economic times for lots of businesses in the U.S., not just pro sports leagues. DC United will live on, and so will the Screaming Eagles, and so will MLS. We have to bend, not break. Change can seem scary, but, things will be alright. I say kudos to the MLS execs with the balls to make these tough decisions during these tough economic times.

86. Brian says:

I’m glad the folly of building new half-billion dollar stadiums has fallen on the New Yorkers foolish enough to replace existing structures that were fine but did not have enough cup-holders, jungle gyms or luxury boxes. May the same ruin fall on DC for replacing viable structures for greedy ends.

Garber is an accountant, not a commissioner.

87. Binks says:

Who cares. They suck anyway. Them getting a new stadium down here is like repackaging a turd in shiny new wrapping.

They’ll move, lose fans because they can’t be bothered to leave District (good riddens) and lose more fans when they fail.

It’s a short drive to Philly. The sons of ben have already used some of your names to inflate their 1000 strong claim anyway, so start driving.