MLS Pre-season: Red Bulls down River Plate reserves, 2-1

2008 023

A first-half goal from Dane Richards off a Khano Smith cross, and a second-half strike by Andrew Boyens helped the New York Red Bulls down the River Plate reserves, 2-1, in a pre-season friendly in Argentina on Thursday morning.

Playing without Juan Pablo Angel, who was rested as a precaution after suffering a slight leg injury in the team's 2-1 win vs. Velez Sarsfield, the Red Bulls jumped out to an early lead in the third minute when Smith sent in a cross to Richards, who finished from close range.

Led by former D.C. United midfielder Marcelo Gallardo, River Plate equalized in the 33rd minute when Red Bulls trialist Aklie Edwards sent an attempted clearance into his own net.

Boyens scored the winner in the 73rd minute when he collected a long Sinisa Ubiparipovic corner kick in the penalty area and blasted a left-footed shot into the low corner to make the score 2-1.

For more details on the match, go to the Red Bulls team blog. Here are some video highlights of the match, courtesy of Dave Martinez at The Offside:

What do you think of this result? Share your thoughts below.

This entry was posted in MLS- New York Red Bulls. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to MLS Pre-season: Red Bulls down River Plate reserves, 2-1

1. Chosun says:

Ha, that’s great! Khano Smith cross???

2. Trex says:

Pietra gets sent off as usual for two yellows. Nothing has changed.

On the bright side, 2-1 win and River’s goal was an own goal on us. I’ll take it!

3. The one and only Mighty says:

Okay…. im trying not to get excited…. but cannot help it!!!!!

I hope this is the year we can actually have a good all around year!!!

Good Red Bulls.!!!

4. gmen04 says:

Khano off to a great start in proving JCO right about his crossing ability. Three weeks from today!!!

5. Eugene says:

Progress

6. Dannyc58 says:

Khano also missed two or three sitters so far.

And not to be a hater, but that was more of a pass, than a “cross” in my opinion…I know its techincal, but come on guys.

7. Ives – the man as always.

8. Eugene says:

Danny, how about the word “assist”, does that make you more comfortable?

9. Mark says:

Winning is better than a kick in the head. I’ve actually heard of some of the River Plate guys other than Gallardo, so not exactly a no name team they beat, though certainly not the first team.

I’m looking forward to the season to start already.

10. JoeD says:

Danny, a cross is a pass from one of the flanks aCROSS to the penalty area. Doesn’t have to be in the air.

11. mikeK says:

It can be an underhand, high arc softball lob for all I care.

The bottom line is the “pass/cross”, whatever you wish to call it, resulted in a goal. That’s all that matters. Assists are assists.

12. Dannyc58 says:

Eugene,

Well people are worried about his crossing. That was a good pass, it was not a cross. Sorry if you don’t agree.

13. Dannyc58 says:

JoeD,

Its not worth going into a discussion of what is meant by “cross”. Can we agree that is not the type of cross that NYRB fans are concerned about Khano producing?

14. Chad says:

Haha! I love the part where #19(Richards I think) get taken right off the ball and leads to the River score. Whoever comes in to shoulder him gives him a good one. Had to watch that several times.

15. Alex says:

it was a great speedy run by Khano but if they call it a cross, they should watch DVB’s video’s from last season

16. Ron says:

Wow maybe it was the video but it looks like Gallardo hasn’t missed too many meals down there.

17. Eugene says:

Danny,

I always respect your opinions and insight, so I’m coming from a position of respect, but if Smith has 10 assists like that this season and not one of them is a “cross” in your definition, I really couldn’t care less.

He makes the pass, creates the opportunity and it leads to a goal. Whether it’s through the air or on the ground, whether he passes with his head or his foot, an assist is an assist.

18. aristotle says:

A victory for the ages.

19. Dannyc58 says:

Eugene,

I do agree with you there, if he gets 10 of those I will be thrilled and never question JCO pickup again.

And I’ll also add that that was a very good pass and he showed great pace and vision. I just feel that isn’t the type of “cross” that people are concerned about.

Having said that, I totally agree–any opportunities he makes I will be thrilled. I’m not rooting against him, thats for sure!

And the respect is mutual…

20. CapeCodFutbol says:

Danny,

I am unfamiliar with your opinions and insight, but I will say: give it up.

21. Chosun says:

Actually, Danny has a point: the concerns of Smith’s “crossing” is more the type that flies into the box in the air. It seems that he’s got the ground “crosses” down, as that was a great pass. Let’s hope his “air” crosses are as good, then we can all stop worrying.

22. elmatador says:

A victory for the ages.

Posted by: aristotle | February 26, 2009 at 12:47 PM

come on people, it’s just a friendly not copa libertadores….nontheless good work by Red Bulls!!

23. Dannyc58 says:

CapeCodFutbol,

Ditto (to both)

Thanks,

Dan

24. Nick says:

Not a big win, but a lot better than a draw with a team of 16 year olds.

25. Ethan says:

This discussion about whether it was a cross or not is fairly ridiculous/hilarious. Thank you.

26. Dannyc58 says:

Ethan,

How is it any moreso than any conversation? Give me a break.

27. Duncan Penderhughes says:

yeah, i have to agree with ethan – the debate over the meaning of a cross has a bunch of you looking like a bunch of dorks.

28. ericJ says:

they look like soccer dorks? I dont think that is such a bad thing…and i am of the opinion that his crosses (in the air) are trash…lets hope he keeps it down and not in the stands.

29. Lou says:

OK i wouldn’t say this is river plate resevres now, they had gallardo, along with several starters, and an ex national team defender. This wasn’t even our starting lineup either so this definitely was a great accomplishment.

30. ag nigrin says:

Great job Red Bulls! Can’t wait for 3/19 vs Seattle!

31. diazscores says: