It’s Q&A Time

Hello all. It is that time again. Time for you to fire your soccer-related questions my way and time for me to take two months to answer them.

Okay, so I'm kidding about that last part. A little. There will be a slight change to the Q&A, a change I am hoping will lead to a much quicker turnaround time on answering your questions. I will select the Top 100 questions and will answer them in four segments. This means your question may not be chosen so please make them good ones.

If you are new to the Q&A, or to SBI, I would suggest checking out past Q&A sessions. This might keep you from asking a question that has been covered before. Also, try to avoid the college thesis-like questions. If your question is longer than 50 words the chances are good it won't be chosen (unless you're discussing The Wire or Godfather movies).

As for those of you wondering about the final segment of the last Q&A. I will post those answers today, probably within the hour.

Now, let's get to some new questions. I'm looking for soccer questions, but if you ask a good pop culuture (movie/music/TV, etc.) question, chances are it will be chosen.

Fire away (and make them good).

This entry was posted in SBI Live Q&A. Bookmark the permalink.

146 Responses to It’s Q&A Time

1. Anthony says:

Ives, my father likes watching soccer with me and even visited me to watch U.S.-Mexico at the infamous Mulligan’s in Hoboken, NJ with an English friend of mine (who’s a Man U fan – but that’s a joke for another day). When I explain the process of where each player plays professionally, he looks at me confusingly. How can I simplify this explanation?

2. gofirego says:

1. will Marquez be punished with a suspension of more than 1 game for his karate kick on Tim Howard?

2. will FIFA punish Paco Ramirez for bitch-slapping Frankie Hejduk?

The Mexican federation head Justino Compean said they will ask FIFA not to extend the Marquez suspension because “he is one of the best players in the world.” He is remaining as captain, despite calls to remove him.

Compean also claims Ramirez apologized to Hejduk, Hejduk accepted the apology and he says he spoke to Sunil Gulati, who told him that the US Soccer Fed is not going to press the matter.

3. Dominick says:

One of the genuine frustrations of being a ‘Nats fan is the lack of an iconic Uniform! Which uniform do you think was the best ever for the Men’s team? Also, any chance SBI could do a design contest like one done for the banner? thanks for the site–I check it every day.

4. joe k says:

Do you think that Van Den Bergh’s mistake that led to the second Columbus goal in the MLS Cup had anything to do with his desire to leave?

5. Branden says:

With TFC picking up in midfield (De Ro) and striker (Vitti) but actually weakening in what was an atrocious defence last year(losing Marshall and James), do you see them going with three at the back, and possibly playing two holding midfielders (in Robbo and Cronin)?

6. Jason says:

Thanks for the Q&A.

1.Since Kasey Keller has not “officially” retired from the USMNT, do you see him making it back into the side, if he has a strong 1st half of the MLS season with Seattle?

2.Which former USMNT players could you see as USMNT coach in the future?

7. JC says:

Do you think that bidders who are interested in an MLS team might feel the $40 million expansion fee will be too high if Beckham is no longer in the league?

8. Mike says:

Ever think about doing a live Q & A? The Cover It Live software seems to work pretty well on other sites. The only problem I guess would be that you probably wouldn’t be able to get to everything unless you sat here for hours on end.

9. Homey says:

If you were in charge at FIFA, how would you allocate the World Cup spots to the various confederations? In other words, how many spots would each confederation get?

10. bubblehouse says:

If michael bradyley’s team is relegated does he make or move or actually play in bundesliga 2?

11. Mentz says:

Do you think you’ll see a large drop in attendance across the board in MLS if Beckham ultimately decides to stay with Milan? I can imagine the Galaxy’s sales to slump. Hopefully his appearance in MLS has a lasting affect of MLS awareness and has created more US Soccer fans, but I was just curious what you thought.

12. Jacob A. says:

We talk all the time about what would happen if our best athletes chose soccer, what would that team look like?

LeBron up top? Chris Paul (although he whines a lot) as the playmaker? Kobe on the wing? Dwight Howard in the center of the defense? Let’s have some fun!

13. HIncha Tim says:

Hey Ives,

As usual, doing a great job from my Utah perspective! Hope to see you out here for the all-star game, word on the street is that the team may be Inter Milan.

Do you think that the pretty good TV ratings for the Mexico-USMNT are significant enough that the TV execs took note and may effect future decisions, or not significant enough to have any significant effect?

14. smorebs says:

Thanks Ives.

I know may NY fans will not want to hear this but, what is Claudio up to now? Is he still with RBNY in any shape or form? Also, do you see Osorio using an 4-3-3 this year, with such speed on the wings?

15. gnatfan says:

Do you have an inside track to information about the current U-17 crop or do you just follow the hype that seems to surround some of the kids and form your opinions based on that hype?

16. Robo says:

Do you think the Red Bulls will have one of the fastest if not the fastest attacks in MLS this year. With the additions of Kandji, Mbuta, and Oduro to existing speedsters like Richards and Borman, do you think this could be the year we see more consistent offensive output from our attack? Do you think Angel is poised to make a push for Roy Lassiter’s single season goals record with the new supporting cast being here for a full season?

Thanks Ives, love the site, it’s the best!

17. doug says:

If you were in charge of a new MLS franchise, what coach would be your first choice to build it? Seattle went with Sigi. Me, I’d be tempted to pry Yallop away from SJ. You?

18. Eric Griesheimer says:

Ives

How does the US get seeded in the WC?

How did Mexico get seeded ahead of us in the last WC?

What is the formula for how FIFA decides this?

19. steal your sounders says:

Is a beckham for schevhenko swap realistic. Why is he still wasting away on milan’s bench? Will he ever come to MLS?

Will the sounders be the best expansion team yet? I’m not really counting chicago since the league was really small at that paticular time?

love the site

20. Strider says:

Obviously you will be completing a pre-season analysis of what to expect in MLS this year. 1) When will we be seeing that?

2) Do you expect any more major moves/signings priot to the start of the season (ignoring the Beckham & Donovan issue).

3) Where will Michael Bradley end up if BMG gets relegated?

21. matt says:

If Donovan doesn’t stay at Bayern, do you think he’s done enough to garner interest elsewhere in Europe? And if so, where you could you see him going?

22. Ryan says:

Most NFL and NBA stadiums are built with a ~15-20 year “shelf life” before a new stadium is needed to stay current with competing stadiums. How long do you think this current round of stadiums will last before we see second generations being built? Do you foresee MLS games ever demanding more than a 20-30k seat capacity?

23. Jacob A. says:

And, not necessarily for Ives, but does anyone have any idea as to how the ticket sales for the Nashville game are going?

24. EDB says:

With the attacking players Seattle has, do you think they have a chance to be the best expansion team since the Fire?

25. kahlva says:

1) What do the Red Bulls lack currently? Center back? Playmaker?

2) Chances of transfer at the current time: Beckham. Donovan.
    (I realize this may be moot by the time you answer)

Thanks Ives! Your site, as always, rocks.

26. Gilby says:

Why don’t we see more of top MLS keepers going to the MFL rather than Scandinavia? The pay is roughly the same and it seems like every time I watch the MFL the goal keeping is pretty bad. I know guys like Guzan and Howard are always going to shoot for a top euro league. But for a Perkins, Cannon, or Conway the MFL seems like it would be a nice boost in both competition and pay.

27. Ross says:

Ives, with the recent disbanding of the reserve league in MLS, what do you think the ultimate strategy towards MLS player development will be? Have you ever heard this discussed by MLS personnel? To me, the country is too big for MLS to solely rely on their academies, so, assuming league growth and profitability, would they every incorporate the traditional US idea of farm teams, possibly using USL teams, or is that idea too far-fetched.

28. hokieunited says:

Off topic question.

Assuming you saw The Office after the Super Bowl….. greatest Office episode ever?

29. Mike says:

Do you think it’s time for Don Garber to step aside and get new blood and a new vision for MLS in the Front Office? The league seems to be coming a critical phase (more expansion, CBA, etc) and I wonder if someone else would offer a better chance of growth.

30. AP says:

Ives – Who is the best young American soccer player that most of us have never heard of?

31. Optimist Primer says:

Ives, I suppose the highest praise I can give you is to say that you have made me a more educated soccer fan, which in turn has made the game exponentially more enjoyable. Thanks man!

Two easy questions: 1) Jozy Altidore = $10 million. How much does Red Bull NY get, and how is the MLS portion allocated to the league as a whole?

2) Should Chivas consider a spurned Expansion City as a possible relocation candidate? I mean, let’s say MLS passes up St Louis again… what’s to say the Goats couldn’t relocate to the open arms of the city’s (awesome) fanbase and move into the new digs that are just waiting for a team? Plus St Louis could save that $40 million buy in, no?

32. Mike G. says:

Great site. You are able to write it like you see it without a negative slant like many other bloggers seem to do. My question: I’m thinking that traveling to Mexico City for the WC Qualifier in August would be a great experience. Being that I am the only US Soccer fan I know, do you think there will be travel packages for the game? I want to go, but I wouldn’t go unless I am part of a group.

33. Blake says:

I repeatedly hear cries for Jonathan Spector to be the solution to our left back problem. Has he played there successfully during his career and do you consider this a legitimate option?

34. The one and only Mighty says:

Ives,

Thank you for your time, and given us the opportunity to have fun with soccer.

One question I was wondering about Youngster Carlos Martinez National team youth player, How good is he? is he a true midfielder? does he have any potential to be a Super Star?

Thanks!!

35. Ben says:

any galaxy news/rumours/wispers/background infos aside beckham and donovan ?

36. cbr says:

whats up with JPA’s contract details? is he a DP in 2010 and 2011?

37. KajaGooGoo says:

With Columbus being chosen for the last qualifier, and the crowd 50-50, what does this tell you about USSoccer’s plan?

1 They don’t want to totally piss off their Latino fan base at the expense of their own fans.

2 Scalpers made a good payday

3. They should look elsewhere next time

38. thomas says:

Thanks as always for your coverage and insight.

What do you think will be the biggest area of OVERALL improvement from the 2006 US squad to the one that will play in 2010? What will be the area that shows the least growth/backslides the most? For example quick passing, pressuring the other team, team speed, mental toughness, etc.

What are some specific positions that you think we will have improved and stagnated at?

39. What is your take on the Scottish Premier League as a place for US players to develop? It seems US players are seen by the SPL as good guys to have for depth but not in consideration for starting or regular minutes? I’m none too pleased with how things have gone Beasley and Edu at Rangers, especially Beasley. It seems from Beasley and Kljestan that they would be (or are) in situations where they are buried on the depth chart with little opportunity of playing.

40. Fireball says:

1. Top 10 favorite kits, ever. 2. Evaluate the analogy: Heskey is to Rooney as Ching is to Donovan. Show your work.

41. Wally says:

Hey ives,

What ever happened to the mls’s approach that each team would be able to have 2 DP’s?

Also do you see Michael Bradley becoming the captain of the USMT soon??

42. Steven C says:

Ives, thank you for making work go by faster for me.

Question = I don’t want to sound like I have a grudge, and I’m a pretty realistic person when it comes to American Soccer. I just have this feeling/sense that the powers that be in European Club teams that there is a stigma attached to the American soccer player.

Do you think there is something to my thinking? I feel we have some good players, and I’ll use Freddy Adu as an example… to not even use him as a sub?! It just baffles me.

Thats my question, Ives. Thanks for reading it.

43. Bryan says:

True or False:

Landon Donovan has shown that he can contribute at Bayern and if he were available on a free transfer and agreed to reasonable wages, would hold down the 3rd striker slot.

44. thomas says:

How well will Bobby Convey do in MLS (assuming no injury issues)? Will he resurect his career with the nationals or is he done at age 25?

45. Chepe says:

Keep up the good work Ives.

1. Where do you see Keller ranking among MLS keepers next year?

2. Will we be seeing you in Seattle for the opening game against NYRB?

46. Freddy says:

What soccer personality would you like to see portrayed as a puppet on Special 1 TV?

47. Kevin says:

Ives,

What league(possibly which teams) do you see each of the US current starting XI playing in the 2009-2010 season.

Howard, Pearce, Boca, Gooch, Cherundolo, Beasley, Klesjan, Bradley, Dempsey, Donovan, Ching.

Also some insight on those fringe players and where they might be and hopefully getting some minutes?

Adu, Altidore, Edu, Torres, Spector, Wynne

48. Unoriginal Aaron says:

This may have changed a while ago but I just noticed… What happened to you covering ” The World of Soccer with an American Voice and *a Jersey Flavor*”? It was a great SBI slogan and gave it your unique stamp. I’ve never even been to New Jersey but felt it gave the site some personality. Change it back?

49. Freddy says:

Ives,

I’m seriously thinking of going to the USA vs. Mexico qualifier at Azteca this August. Is US Soccer going to secure tickets for USa fans and sell them on their web site? If not, what is the best way to go about securing a ticket?

50. Shmartelli says:

Is there any hope to seeing more coverage (FSC) of the Open Cup? Maybe the quarters and semis?

51. Zach says:

Ives, 1. Do you think Bob will want, and be able, to send our first team down to the Azteca or will we see a “B” or “C” team go if we are already qualified?

2. Do you see us getting into a better group position than the last time for the World Cup?

3. Do you get the money for pop ups from your site, or when words like “college” are highlighted in blue, or does that all go to some sneaky advertiser?

52. Andrew H. says:

Do you think Beckham’s inability to win in MLS reveals only that his teammates were no good, or also that Beckham was no good (in MLS) and the quality of the competition in MLS is better than advertised?

53. Trex says:

I saw Hall lined up at Right Back in the scrimmage with TFC, is he a possibility there or was JCO just experimenting?

What are your thoughts on Ubi’s development as a central mid, do you see him improving enough this year to be a solid starter or better than average central mid? Or do you see Rojas still as our main option there to start along side Stammler?

54. The Athority says:

Love the site Ives, thanks.

Now that Brian McBride is back in the USA (Chicago Fire), I could see him coming out of his internation retirement this summer for some WC qualifiers if needed.

What are your thoughts?

55. Ryan says:

A major complaint about the sport, especially in the US, is the amount of diving that takes place. It’s a lot to ask of refs to notice a dive at full speed from less than ideal angles so why don’t leagues review the tapes of matches and issue punishment from diving that way. In slow motion and with good angles you can tell when there’s a dive and players can receive warnings until a suspension by their 3rd dive, 5th dive or whatever number the league sees fit. I think something like this would drastically reduce the amount of dives.

56. Rafael says:

What do you think the status of MLS is financially going into the 2009 season?

57. Dave says:

With New Jersey native Gregg Berhalter’s European playing career possibly ending after this season, would he be a good summer addition to the Red Bulls’ central defense, or is he too slow/old/risky for the current level MLS competition? Would he be a particularly better fit for any other MLS teams?

58. nico says:

Of the coaches in the CONCACAF Hexagonal, which have impressed you? Any of the six coaches surprise you (negatively or positively)? Thanks much.

59. cb says:

thanks for the Q&A, Ives. what positions and possible players do you see the Red Bulls needing to fill for a strong run at the MLS Cup again?

60. Gregg says:

Hey Ives –

Love the site. It looks like LD will not get signed by Bayern. Do you think this will go down as another bust, or just not a good fit? Chances that he will get swooped up in Europe during the summer transfer window?

Suportland MLS 2011!

61. LDogg says:

After nearly getting into a couple of fights sitting in an all mexican section in Columbus, I was wondering if you have ever been close to getting in a soccer related scrap? If not what is the best soccer fight you have seen?

62. Hey Ives, great job on the site. I wanted to know what you think about the future of a promotion/relegation set up in the MLS. Given the 40 mil. entry fee, it seems unlikely. But with the USL already established, it seems like everything needed is there? your thoughts?

63. Luke in NC says:

Do you think the current USMNT starting squad is better than the starters from the 2002 World Cup? If so, better by how much?

64. Jmac says:

Any updates or thoughts on who the Dynamo are targetting for another forward? We aren’t going to make it through the entire season with Ching, Kamara, and Wondolowski. Did Felix Garcia really just back out of his professional commitmant to the dynamo? Is he ever going to show up?

65. Dannyc58 says:

Hey Ives,

Love the site. With that in mind…not looking to be nosy or even specifics…but how are things going financially with the site? Just want to be sure all is well with the way the market is these days. Keep up the great work.

Thanks,

Dan

66. Dan Karell says:

Hey Ives I love the website, keep it up

I had a couple questions

1. Which players trying out for the Red Bulls do you think will make the team

2. What ever happened to Calum Angus

67. beckster says:

Ives, do you think there is any chance that Bradley will start calling McBride into the camp now that he is playing domestically? If the rumors are true that Fulham wanted him back on loan, would’t he be a real option up front for the MNT?

68. SF says:

Ives, you are well-known connoisseur of derriere. What advice would you give to breast or leg men out there who are thinking of making the switch to becoming “ass men”?

69. Cindy says:

Hey Ives,
    I know US women’s soccer isn’t your forte but I figure I’ll ask. What do you know of the WPS’ relationship with MLS? Assuming WPS becomes popular and financially viable would they work side by side with MLS by maybe sharing sponsors and stadiums between teams in the same region? Also any thoughts on the WPS’ take on the playoff system? Think it’ll be successful and is perhaps better than the MLS system?
    Thanks for your time and your awesome site, I check so often I feel like a stalker!

70. Nick G. says:

What is your take on the Altidore move to Xerez? At the time of me writing this, he has not played a minute yet for them, or even sniffed the bench in the most recent match. Maybe by the time you get around to this question, things will change, but I was wondering about your thoughts on the loan.

71. Josh in the SLC says:

Ives,

Great Sight. Where/Which domestic Americans do you see getting transferred this summer?

72. Topher says:

Great site Ives, I have two questions.

1) What is the World Best XI of players playing out of position? For instance, if you think Rooney has the tackling ability and covers a lot of ground then maybe he is your defenseive mid.

2) What players in the world are capable of playing any position on the field, excluding goalkeeper. For instance, I feel like Gerrard would do a reasonable job at playing anywhere along the backline, midfield or even up top.

Thanks

73. Chris Z says:

Ives,
    In the near future do you ever see MLS changing to a twenty team table and eliminating the playoffs?

74. Alex says:

If you could choose any big name foreign coach to manage the USMNT, who would it be, and why?

75. northzax says:

1: compare and contrast the impact of the Bosman ruling to everything that has ever happened in history.

2: (seriously now) who was impressive in the U-20 camp that just ended in Bradenton? I see the timing of the cup as a great boon to players like Wallace and Merosovic trying to break into MLS first teams, high level training and match play can’t be anything but good, right?

76. Only1Keano says:

Why is it that we don’t see more trades in soccer? With all of the wild transfer fees that teams are paying for players, it seems like there some situations where a trade would make more sense. Given the amount of leagues and teams worldwide, it doesn’t seem like it would be too difficult for two teams to find a match with each other and swap players that meet each other’s needs both financially and tactically.

77. Amit says:

Do you have any idea whay RBNY’s plans for Juan Pietravallo are at the moment? Are they looking to sell him, put him in the starting line up?

78. Andrew says:

Ives- Love your site, love your ambition and dedication to US soccer. A question regarding development of our “starlets” : Watching Pato play for AC Milan, Messi for Barcelona, I wonder why the likes of Altidore are not given that opportunity. Is the US just not capable of producing that kind of talent or is this talent and development stunted by European clubs? It’s so hard to show your stuff by playing 11 minutes here, 12 minutes there. I hear everyone talking about how these players must be “eased in” but I never saw that with the likes of pato, etc. Am I missing something or is this a bias against american talent?

79. Ko'd says:

Loan moves…with Altidore’s recent loan to Xerez, I wondered if you had thoughts on the decision-making process for a club when they consider where to loan their players. Obviously, Xerez offered a continued competitive environment for Altidore, which is good for his development. And I know that some clubs have strong loan relationships with others (Man U with Royal Antwerp, I believe is one). But what are the other considerations? Are there clubs that are well-known for providing great training and playing regimens for loaned-out players? Clubs to which no one will loan players out (for whatever reason)?

Thanks, Ives.

80. arkjayback says:

Any hope of ESPN hyping the confederations Cup and the US’s games against Italy and Brazil? There’s was so much buildup to the Mexico match, that people who don’t even usually watch soccer were tuning in. Couldn’t the same happen for the Confederations Cup with 4 monthsof anticipation?

and hey, do you like any of the US Soccer videos I have made: link to youtube.com & link to youtube.com

81. Dave says:

What will happen to Mikey Bradley if ‘Gladbach are relegated? I can’t imagine he wants to play in the Bundesliga 2.

82. Adam says:

Who do you think are the next 5 BIG SUPERSTARS to come to MLS?

83. baloosh13 says:

This is hypothetical (obviously): USA has one spot left on the World Cup roster and seven players in the pool, Pele, Maradona, Beckenbauer, Lev Yashin, Roberto Carlos, Cryuff, and Best. Who does Bob Bradley (or you) pick and why?

84. Justin O says:

Ginger or Mary Anne?

85. Micronesia Justin says:

Good stuff Ives. Suggestion then a question for you. I know you are planning on adding things to the site. You should through up a chat for your running commentaries. It is hard to sift through 300+ comments (a la USA v. Mexico) and thought it would be awesome to have a live chat. Okay now my question:
    is it hard to juggle the blog with writing for ESPN? I mean, are there certain things you are privy to being at ESPN that you can’t put on the blog and vice versa? How does that work out? Thanks.

86. CVS says:

Lee Nguyen’s star faded in Europe and with the USMNT. He now is playing in the V-league for possibly better pay and significant playing time. So far he seems to be scoring goals and doing alright. Could he use this as a launching pad to land on a better Asian club (e.g. Japan or Korea) or is his career pretty much ending in Vietnam? And if the money is not substantially more, should a US player take the opportunity to play in SE Asia if it means more playing time?

87. m_____s says:

Fredy Montero’s signing was widely considered a coup for the Sounders.

What steps are MLS steps taking to better scout upcoming talent, especially from Latin/South America, and what are the chances more teams will start using DP-like money on up-and-comers?

88. oh word? says:

Which character on the Wire fully embodied the themes of the show the most? I always loved Bodie because even though he was slingin’, he treated it like a job, showed up on time and never got the count wrong. If he grew up in the suburbs he’d have been a stockbroker

89. josh says:

Do you think Freddy Adu still has a chance to become at least a decent option when it comes to playing for the national team. I know he has shown glimpses but besides that he has been a major disapointment. Also where has he gone wrong when it comes to where he stands as footballer today?

90. Justin says:

The Wizards recently signed Santiago Hirsig out of San Lorenzo in Argentina.

What kind of player is he? Does he look to slot into the Wizards starting 11 or is he a player signed to come of the bench?

Love the site!

91. Joel says:

If the following USMNT players were to appear on the series Heroes, what would their non-soccer superpowers be?

Tim Howard
    Gooch
    Bradley Jr.
    Freddy Adu
    Ching

92. JeffM says:

Have you ever heard anyone in MLS speculate that the future – distant future – of MLS might be a merger with the Mexican league? In some ways, it makes sense: MLS gets access to the Hispanic market that – even in this country – has shown only mild interest in MLS, and Mexican clubs get access to a lot more people with a lot more money. Obviously, this couldn’t happen in the short term, but have you ever heard anyone describe this as one possible scenario for growth in the long term?

93. daniel says:

you mentioned in your last question and answer session that torrez is not a decent option at left mid. can you elaborate on that a bit? do you believe that his left foot is not strong enough to send in a decent cross? does he not have the spead necessary to play on the outside? the reason i ask is that pearce is hurting the u.s. at left back. i believe that beasley could replace him, but then who fills in the left wing position?

94. Malcolm says:

1. How do you think Jozy’s loan spell with Xerez will turn out? Should i be hitting the panic button yet since he hasn’t played in the first two matches that he could have played in?

2. Do you think that the new academy system will help improve young players in the states? What else do you think should change to improve our players technical and tactical skills on a football pitch?

95. Felix says:

Is the USL profitable? Also, when is the list of MLS teams and their profits for the year going to be released?

96. Pico says:

Ives,

what is your take on ESPN’s “Where are the Hispanics in US Soccer” articles? Do you think US soccer should adopt a program like Japan where they imported a large number of Brazilian coaches and players to try to change their style of play since the early stages. Maybe not Brazilian only, but from other Latin football countries to mix or counter the current UK dominated coaching style.

My two biggest concerns are that such a large talent pool is being wasted by not focusing in the inner cities which is the hotbed of football worldwide and instead insisting on the suburban demographics.

But most importantly, after watching the development of the US national team over the last 25 years, we still lack creativity and skill and we are morphing into a mirror image of the English national team, and it is well documented the lack of results in the international competition as of late.

I agree with you about Rotties. Best dogs ever! I miss mine a lot, and I know of a great breeder in Salt Lake City. Wonderful lineage and none of the stupid stipulations from East Coast breeders.

Cheers

97. JWM says:

1) Would it not be good for American soccer to have more coverage of USL game highlights?

2) In the absence of a reserve league, is it allowed for MLS teams to loan players to USL teams to get them PT, while keeping them off-roster and off-payroll?

3) Would it be in the interest of MLS to invest in scouts for the league as a whole, whose information could be accessed by MLS teams first, and fans second? Having potential MLS prospects to talk about would help to pass the long winter days.

4) Do you remember when NFL used to have a segment called “You Make the Call” in which complex ref decisions were presented, and then the answer revealed after a break? Do you think that would succeed for MLS, and help to raise the level of awareness of the fans?

98. Emil says:

How do the best national teams stack up against the best club teams? That is assuming that players could be cloned as necessary, how would Spain do against Barca, or Argentina against ManU? Is there a significant differential in talent either way?

99. Fred says:

What players from this year’s MLS draft do you see in opening day starting lineups?

100. THE Nick says:

Where do you see the state of soccer online in 10 years from now?

101. Matt says:

Good Blog Ives, the salaries in the mls are almost unlivable. When the cba is renegotiated in 2010 and the salaries raise why dont they use this method.

all players are on the senior roster no developmental. And the minimum salary is 75,000
    the way they do that is anyone making under 75000 is automaticaly upgraded to 75,000 and the salary cap is 3,300,000 anyone over the cap is grandfathered for that season everyone has a guarenteed contract. do you think this can happen, would you like and would it work

102. Jonathan G says:

First of all, let me ask you… Is Chris Megaloudis your son?
    link to redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com

Secondly, what do you think of 24 season 7 so far?

Lastly, what happened to GolTV’s “American Soccer”? Are they on their winter hiatus, or is that show off the air?

103. Aaron says:

A twist on the usual yanks abroad questions:

How long do you think it will take for there to be an American coach managing either a major club or national team in Europe, and who do you think it will be? Do you think D. Kinnear or Jason Kreis (fairly young guys) have what it takes?

104. paul @ downey, ca says:

What is MLS’s tipping point with Beckham? In other words, how much does the transfer fee need to be so that MLS/Galaxy will profit from his exit (not including endorsement/sponsorship deals)?

105. Dan says:

It seems like everyday there’s a new fan soccer blog. Some of these are good (the fan blogs you link), but many aren’t, and they try to pass off as “real” journalists. What do you think of these bloggers or all fan bloggers in general?

106. Kevin says:

It is obvious to me that Bradley will be coaching until the world cup, but the job could be and probably should be open after the world cup, no matter what happens.At what point do you see our USMNT hiring a foreign coach? With what we are seeing in mexico is that such a great idea? Who would be a good fit for the head US job? Love the site, I check it many many times a day.

107. Joseph.H. says:

If Bayern don’t sign Landon, What other european club do you see him going to??

108. Andolini says:

Why did Lee Nguyen move to a team in Vietnam? Could he ever be called into the national team while playing in such an unknown league? What is the deal with him and all his bouncing around?

109. SonicDeathMonkey says:

I just want to go on the record and say, that Joe K’s question about Dave VDB might be the dumbest one ever asked on here. Ever.

110. Jayboy says:

ARTICLE SUGGESTION – I’ve never been to South Africa, or a World Cup, but I’m interested in attending 2010. You should run a series of articles on how to purchase tickets, different groups to go with (Sam’s Army, etc), places to visit, city profiles, etc. The first round of tickets go on sale on Feb 20th!

111. Randall says:

Ives,

Do you have any sense of how prominent Jemal Johnson might be on the USMNT radar? From all accounts, he seems to be the type of player who could make an immediate impact on the Nats–fast, skilled, young striker playing for a team poised to move up to the Championship. I would think he is at least as strong a candidate as some of the MLS strikers who have been granted bench slots in recent months.

112. Clint says:

Ives,

Thanks for being my go-to site for all things soccer. Could you break down and describe the distinguishing characteristics between the top leagues (EPL, Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga)? Do certain leagues have a tendency to use a certain attacking approach? i.e. Long balls, how wide they play, favored formations?

Thanks!

113. Gabe79 says:

Great stuff Ives, God bless!! What do you think comes first? US wins the world cup or the Mexican national team wins a sportsmanship award?

114. Cabrito says:

It’s time to change the “advantage” rule. How about instituting a rule like in hockey, where the attacking team is allowed to play on until the defending team controls the ball? At that time, the foul would still be called at the orginal spot of the infraction. This would surely increase scoring, yes?

115. Ante says:

Ives, can you recommend any good books or other resources on different tactics and styles of soccer and on the history of the game? I just started following it a few years ago and am at a point where I want to learn as much as I can. Thanks

116. Leevi says:

Isn’t it about time for US soccer fans to realize that not all players leaving MLS for Europe are going to end up in Real Madrid? Been reading this site for a while and every time some player goes to some smaller league (Scandinavian, Belgian, Scottish etc.) big part of the comments are something like “How many players from Norwegian league have ended up in EPL?”.

Do the readers here have a bit bloated expectations of American youngsters? I mean, if you are super-talented, usually it’s pretty obvious and you don’t have to go to GAIS to grind it out for a couple of seasons before Liverpool comes calling.

117. Adam says:

I’ve often heard about the importance of the MLS preseason, but the coverage of it is scarce. What steps need to be taken so that MLS fans can get insight into what’s going on with their favorite teams before the season starts?

118. Simon B says:

With a renoed BC Place approved as well as a waterfront stadium in the midst of approval, plus a rich ownership group and strong fan support why isn’t Vancouver’s bid getting more attention? Is this not the strongest bid for expansion right now?

119. Isaac says:

If you could make a lineup of all time best performers in the U.S.-Mexico Rivalry, who would it be made up of?

120. Mr. Derp says:

Ives-

2010 and 2014 will be the first time in history that two WC’s in a row will be held outside of Europe. What are the odds that 1950 gets repeated and for the 2nd (poss. 3rd) time, there is no European nation in the World Cup final?

121. Brokenbil says:

Will you be covering WPS?

122. I want MLS in the south! says:

Hey ives love your site, first place i go to before class everyday. So glad i found this place. Where do you see michael bradley going if Borussia M’gladbach gets relegated this year? I know he has a clause in his contract that says he must be sold if they go down. Thanks

123. Geoff says:

Hey Ives,

What’s your take on the Montreal Impact’s latest ticket sales for their CCL Quarter Final match against Santos Laguna currently around 42,000+? Can MLS seriously ingore Montreal? I personally think the league should do whatever necessary to get them in even if it means paying less of an expansion fee. Thanks for all you do.

124. mnmike says:

If you ran an MLS team looking for a coach, what coaching traits would you emphasize? Tactics, player development, scouting/talent evaluation, other.

As a follow up, what coaching traits do you think MLS is lacking?

125. metrostar 4 life says:

Hey Ives, from your perspective, how good/bad is CONCACAF compared to say UEFA or CONMEBOL, obviously we’re not there yet but the reputation of CONCACAF has to be improving right?

great site as always Ives.

126. Lou says:

Hey Ives,
    One qeustion. Do you think all this adding on of speed will hurt the team in the long run? I mean sure we have alot of fast players but do we have a lot of quality players. We still haven’t replaced van den bergh with anyone who can cross. I just think we are adding quantity and not quality but maybe I’m wrong.

127. Brant says:

How do players for the academies and youth national teams get identified? Do the coaches scour local tournaments? Focus on traveling teams? Where do they get the kids that feed into the teams. Seems like they stumbled across Subotic, for instance, whereas Michael Bradley was never *not* going to get noticed.

128. Timmy U says:

Ives,

1. What team in MLS has(had) the greatest home field advantage? Why?

2. With the construction of new stadiums(BMO for example), why does the league not insist on grass surfaces? I can understand allowing teams to continue to play on field turf, or like Seattle, play on it in residence, but Toronto is considerably farther south geographically than St. James Park, home to Newcastle United. Premiership teams heat the field from underneath generally and this side of the pond we dont even play in december or january. If field turf can divert an international friendly (see FIU to Lockhart) or shorten the length of top player’s careers, why does an aspiring league allow new stadia to be built and turf laid down?

Thanks, love the site, read it everyday.

129. 1. I saw recently that the Colorado Rapids have partnered with Real Maryland (USL-2) for player development, among other things. With the demise of the MLS reserve division, do you see more teams making such deals with the USL in the next year or so? Personally, I’m surprised that MLS and USL have remained at arm’s length of each other for so long.

2. What’s your favorite fast food joint?

130. David says:

Any updates on Jose Angulo I thought he was a promising young striker? Haven’t heard about him in quite a while?

131. mikeK says:

So the manager of copenhagen recently said that Manchester City was ruining football with it’s outrageous transfer offers.

What do you personally think about money and football? Is Man City too much? Is soccer to commercialized?

132. Pico says:

Haha,

Congrats on the NY Times Goal blog Godfather. Do we have to kiss your ring now?

Cheers

133. MarkVA says:

Ives,

Great blog, it’s a regular on my morning news update! Is Allen Hopkins as short as he appears on tv or is he just standing next to giant players?

THANKS

134. Ryan says:

The west coast hasn’t hosted a final round WCQ since 1997. Doesn’t that seem a little bit ridiculous? The closest the west coast gets in Salt Lake City, which is nearly a dozen hours of drive time. The Bay Area did a fantastic job supporting the Nats in friendlies against China and Japan. Shouldn’t the Bay Area (Stanford Stadium) be a hex host next cycle? 30% of the country’s population hasn’t gotten a final round qualifier for three cycles now.

135. Andrew says:

What happens to Michael Bradley if Borussia Monchengladbach gets relegated down to Bundesliga2? Does he get sold on or go down with the ship?

136. J says:

what’s your take on what’s going on with duNord, and does it change the future outlook for the Designated Players ‘project?’

137. Tim says:

Where would you rank the USA Mexico rivalry with other international rivalries?

138. VD says:

According to Forbes’ latest MLS rankings, we had two teams making money last year in a much better economy. This year, it’s easy to say the Galaxy will not be making any money regardless of what happens with Beckham because of softer attendance and less revenue overall. How long can this continue with 95% of teams losing money?

139. Andrew says:

Ives, could you do a post that has the national team regulars from each of the last five world cups and who they played for professionaly at the time. Would be a good perspective on how far US soccer has progressed.

140. Eric Anderson says:

How do you think Ryan Giggs ranks among the best players of all time? Do you think he’d be rated higher if he played for a more competitive country than Wales?

141. John says:

How much did Michael Bradley’s performance against Mexico raise his profile in Europe? With Borussia Monchengladbach the top contender for relegation in Germany, will he be on the move this summer? If he does move, will he have opportunities with clubs that are playing in the UEFA Cup or Champions League next year?

Thank you for the great work. To paraphrase The Special One: You are blog Champion.

142. What is your take on Managers especially in the EPL? Would the likes of Scolari, Adams, Big Sam when at Newcastle, even the firing of Mourinho at Chelsea have been likely to create successful programs given a number of years? Is sticking it out long term with a manager clearly better than quick firings to turn things around?

Been absolutely loving this site for about two years. Sorry if you have already answered this question!

let me know when you are coming to Tokyo!

143. Matt P. says:

Ives,

I was hoping for your comment on the quote from Greg Lalas from SI.com (Why U.S. Needs Mexico to win). His quote

“CONCACAF and the U.S. need Mexico to be good… Otherwise, the entire region becomes the butt of a joke” seems to put us quite at odds to win respect in the world.

So, should we consider a reorganization of the CONCACAF, maybe consider creating a super conference with CONMEBOL? imagine Brazil Vs U.S. for World Cup? Thoughts?

144. CrispyST3 says:

Hey Ives, just wondering, do u ever see the MLS creating a second league to act as a second division, it would be great, seeing as how big our country is, and then maybe we can create the promotion/relegation they have in europe, just a thought, i know we have to complete the MLS first before even looking at the MLS, but the USL can also expand and act as that second division, thanks again Ives

145. martha c says:

Nery Castillo is a quick fast dangerous and key striker for Mexico.He played well before bombing in England.
    Charlie Davies is bigger stronger and faster. He has had similar success in his professional career.

So do you think the US should try and use him in a similar role as Mexico uses Nery? Do you think he will be a better player than Nery?

146. Ives says:

NO MORE QUESTIONS FOLKS. Thanks to all of you who took part.