Beasley avoids injury, but tackle raises questions for USMNT

DaMarcus Beasley (Reuters)

If you happened to catch a replay of the horrific tackle on DaMarcus Beasley that resulted in a red card and Beasley's quick exit from Rangers' Scottish Cup win on Wednesdy, you probably spit up your Cheerios for fear that the U.S. national team's best left wing option would miss serious time.

While Beasley avoided serious injury, the incident still makes you wonder just what U.S. coach Bob Bradley would do if he didn't have Beasley around, something that would definitely be worrisome considering the next two World Cup qualifiers are just six weeks away, and considering there's no clear-cut back-up for Beasley.

So here is the question for you. If you were Bradley, and Beasley weren't available for the El Salvador and Trinidad & Tobago qualifiers in March/April, who would you play on the left flank? Would you throw Robbie Rogers into the fire? Would you call up Eddie Lewis and hope the veteran can deliver some solid performances? Would you consider starting Jose Francisco Torres even though he's more a left-footed central midfielder than natural winger? Would you consider putting Landon Donovan on the left flank?

What would you do? Share your thoughts below.

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

114 Responses to Beasley avoids injury, but tackle raises questions for USMNT

1. JustinG says:

I would call Eddie Lewis in and start him. I would also call in Rogers and Torres for training before every game and have them battle it out for who will come in as a sub as it will be needed for Lewis, not talent wise, but because he will get worn out running up and down the field all day. Getting old sucks.

2. Pat says:

Given the struggles at left back, I don’t think there’s a good answer. Probably Eddie Lewis.

3. Jeff says:

How about Dempsey on the left (as he does for Fulham), and then solve the right wing problem (a much easier problem to solve)?

That could mean Klesjen (sp?) out right with Torres in the middle, or Donovan out right with Altidore or Cooper in up top, etc.

4. AJ says:

Put Landon on the left and put Freddy Adu in behind the striker or Robbie Rogers gets the position. There’s just not a lot there right now.

5. KingSnake says:

Welcome to Scotland.

6. Colin says:

Call in Jamar?

7. kev13p says:

The time is over for calling in aged veteran players to fill in on occasion. The US has too many promising young players that deserve a chance to get game experience and prove themselves either capable or incapable of competing at the international level. It’s time to start weeding the pool out.

8. danman says:

I throw Torres in. THOUGH it is a WC qualifier, El Salvador’s talent in inferior to that that he faces in Mex League play and in other tournaments. He’s already seen crowds some rough crowds…he doesnt play in MLS after all.

9. Dirty Jerzey says:

You either:

A) Put Torres there and pair him with Bornstein as LB. Torres can hold his own defensively and if he pinches to the middle, Bornstein loves the overlap

B) Play Adu on LM and pair him with Pearce. Say what you want about him, but Adu is more ready than Rogers for full national team duties. He’ll also drift centrally, but Pearce should be able to cover on D.

I know Rogers is the next big thing for the USMNT crowd, but I don’t think he’s ready for a Qualifier start yet.

10. Brett says:

Bobby Convey?

11. MM says:

I would use Donovan and Dempsey on the wings. Give them the freedom to switch. I would use Altidore and Ching up top.

12. Scott A says:

I’d start Rogers or Torres. In the Mexico game, the potential risks of a new guy not handling the pressure were greater than the benefits of blooding them. With these matchups, in my humble opinion, the benefits of breaking them in will be greater than the (smaller) risk of them not performing against lesser foes

13. MetroFlip73 says:

Donovan to the left, Dempsey on the right, Jozy and Ching to start up top.

14. Scott A says:

*cough* Scottish league sucks *cough*

15. arkjayback says:

4-3-2-1.

Torres, Bradley, and Kljestan in the middle. Donovan and Dempsey behind the striker.

16. Jay says:

This has been Bothering me for a while now. BB is still overly reliant on Beasley, even though he’s been increasingly injury prone over the last few years. I thought he did well against Mexico, but one has to wonder if he can possibly stay healthy all the way through 2010.

While Torres is getting regular playing time in Mexico, it isn’t his “natural” position. I do think he has enough ability to play there though. That said, this is why I sincerely hope we can develop a servicable pairing up top… Ching/Altidore (don’t slam me, but Ching is clearly BB’s 1st choice) or Altidore/Davies (eventually?)could work on top, which would allow us to take advantage of LD’s versatility by moving him to the left flank.

Otherwise, I say we call up Eddie Lewis until we’ve locked down enough points to get to South Africa (which we will with games to spare), and then make sure we get guys like Torres lots of minutes in the “extra” qualifiers, the Gold Cup, and/or the Confederations Cup.

17. Gotham SC says:

johann smith r robbie rogers

18. The Gentleman Masher says:

Yeah…if we’re okay with playing other guys who don’t start for their teams, why not Convey? When he was in-form, he was a very good player.

19. RK says:

Convey…if he is in shape.

20. GJJ says:

kev13p…..Amen brother. I think Adu has been caught in some bad circumstances both at Benfica, where a new manager had a low opinion of Americans and at Monaco where he is caught between an American owner who wanted him and a manager who wants to prove to the owner that only he makes the football decisions by not playing Adu. Adu was our only player who flummoxed Spain, even for a second, although he made some immature choices against Argentina. I know your post was not advocating Adu, but I am. I would move people around to get him on the field. If he flops…..well he had his chance. Same goes for a Ching for Altidore/Cooper switch in my view.

21. Jim says:

Well, I would prefer to call them all in and see how it goes. Torres to me would be the most likely to emerge from camp.

But it’s going to be Eddie Lewis.

22. jim b says:

Landon on the left wing and Adu playing behind the forwards. Could make us venerable to counter attacks with Landon attacking and Adu’s inability to track back, add to that our weakness at left back. However, with all that offensive firepower on the field and our holding mids in Bradley and Clack/Edu and we will be fine through CONCACAF qualifiers.

23. CraigG says:

I’d be inclined to go with Lewis. That way the whole lineup doesn’t need to be shuffled. Plus, Eddie won’t be worn down yet as the MLS season will just be underway. Fingers crossed that Beasley stays healthy, but if he were forced to miss the next couple USMNT games I’m confident Lewis would get the job done.

If it were later in the Hex and we were already sitting pretty for a top 3 finish, then sure try out some of the youngsters.

24. Kosh says:

For El Salvador – Lewis out left (for his experience and skill) and keep everything else the same.

For TNT – Donovan out left (TNT are not very skilled but very athletic) and Jozy or Adu underneath Ching. Leave everything else the same.

Thank heavens that Beaz did not suffer a serious set-back, especially for a team that gives him chump-change chances to play. Stay healthy bro and get the hell out’a dodge in the summer.

25. Scott C says:

Great question Ives, it’s the first thing that came to my mind yesterday :)

I think we have some depth, we just have to be creative. Sans Beasley, I’d like to see the open cup formation, with this midfield:

Adu Dempsey
    Torres Bradley

You’d get Torres ball control with Freddy’s creativity. I think Freddy would step up if given the chance. His defensive work rate would not be so much of a problem with Torres and Bradley behind him. Of course, Donovan would be upfront with Ching or Altidore.

26. Ko'd says:

“Beasley will miss Saturday’s Clydesdale Bank Premier League clash with Kilmarnock but should be fit for the following weekend’s trip to Hamilton.”

Uh, I am sorry–Did I miss something? Doesn’t this assume the Walter Smith had intentions of putting Beasley in the squad or even playing him? Beasley plays about 60-80 minutes a MONTH. The only person who assumes that a Beasley injury would be a blow to the Rangers team is the author of that story. And even s/he may be delusional.

27. matt says:

I like arkjayback’s formation

28. Amit says:

Brad Davis if you want an offensive minded player. Maybe a Davy Arnaud for someone who will track back.

29. Scott C says:

Sorry, let me try that formation again :)

Adu ———————— Dempsey
    ——Torres——Bradley——

30. Carlo says:

Convey or Torres. Rogers just is not ready. Convey has experience in the qualifiers.

31. Steve says:

Anything but Rodgers!

32. BFBS says:

Jeremiah White, although right-footed, plays left wing for Aarhus these days. If BB thinks Dempsey must be up front or on the right, I would think that White could be an option.

33. John Godfrey says:

Dempsey on the left,;Davies or Altidore joining Ching up front; Donovan on the right.

34. JakeO says:

I’d put Rodgers on the left and keep Dempsey on the right. When Dempsey plays on the left for Fulham, he tends to drift into the middle of the pitch. I assume we’d have the same problem with Torres. I don’t think we can afford to leave Heath Pierce exposed without a natural left sided player in front of him, especially against T&T who have one of the best right wingers in the region (Carlos Edwards). I don’t like the idea of calling Eddie Lewis up. I doubt he’ll be around in a year and a half and we need to start developing depth for South Africa. The best option might be taking a look at Bobby Convey, if he has a good camp with San Jose.

35. Brant says:

Bring in Lewis as the presumptive starter, but give Rogers (or Convey) a chance to knock him off in camp.

Either way, I’d plan to sub Lewis out for Rogers/Convey during the game, either with a 2-goal lead, or about minute 70, whichever comes first.

36. Alex says:

Dempsey on the left, Sal Zizzo on the right

37. joel says:

Dempsey/Donovan on the wings

Ching and Altidore/Davies at forward

Bradley and Kljestan Center mids

38. A.S. says:

Either Dempsey or Donovan. Did anyone notice in the Mexico game that guys were switching positions from time to time? Beasley ended up on the right side a couple of times. At the same time, I’d include Torres over Kljesten. You have a left-footed player in the center who could switch over to the left side also.

———Ching–Altidore———

Donovan–Torres–Bradley–Dempsey

39. Randall says:

Torres would be just fine. Very little downside risk there, in my opinion.

40. EA says:

Despite the FIFA ’09 All-Stars listed here, I think a lot depends on situation.

Vs. T&T at home? Give Rogers, Torres, Adu or Convey (or some combination) a shot.

AT El Salvador or Costa Rica (or in Azteca?)

Give me Eddie Lewis.

He may be a step slower than he was, but he has good vision, plays defense, and still delivers the set pieces as well as (if not better than) anyone else in the player pool. And he’s tough, as he proved in Guatemaula last year.

41. elmatador says:

Danny Szetela right, Dempsey left

42. KingSnake says:

Scott A : The standard of play is much greater than in MLS. And that includes teams outside of Celtic and Rangers, which you would realize if you weren’t so busy orally pleasuring Don Garber …

43. DJ Barnett says:

I hate this mentality that young players have to go through the “friendly” hoops to get a competitive game with the USMNT. Just because Torres hasn’t played in a big match doesn’t mean he can’t handle a road WCQ at El Salvador. Torres has the talent and experience to play and start in this game. If history is an measure we need a talented and creative left footed player to break a team who will post 10 men behind the ball and hope for a draw. To me it’s a no brainer. If it is not DMB then it has to be Torres.

But I think we all know that Mr. Bob will bring in Eddie Lewis.

44. jmac says:

(1) I think starting Donovan on the left with Altidore up top with Ching would make some sense. @ John Godfrey proposes another workable solution.

(2) Torres makes a lot of sense too. In the current USMNT format, the wing midfielders pinch in a lot, so Torres’ not being a natural winger does not have as much impact. I think I would make this choice if I were BB.

(3) Not Rogers. He has really not performed well in international play, at the olympics or in the full team setup.

(4) Another option is Stuart Holden, who played a lot on the left side for the Dynamo the last two years.

45. mcadaal says:

Does anyone have that replay of Beasley getting hit?

46. Kizz says:

*cough* Scottish league sucks *cough*

Posted by: Scott A

47. goalscorer24 says:

Do not call up Eddie Lewis, he has been great, but now is the time for youth. Not to take El Slvador lightly, but what better experience could there be for a young player. This way the US team will have a backup player for Beasley that is ready for the World Cup.

48. Joeking says:

Torres fo sho.

49. Luke in NC says:

While i like the idea of Eddie Lewis, I agree that we need to stop depending on old guys too much. There might be some wisdom to grabbing his experience for that Honduras game though.

We need to be willing to take some “risks” (if they are risks) with younger guys every now and then. We dont have the talent to make it big on the international stage without some risks anyways!

I like the idea above of using Adu on the wing with Torres in the middle (in place of Klejstan), at least for a home Trinidad game.

50. Dan Roudebush says:

Torres in the center with Mike.

Push Sasha outside. He handles it pretty well when caught out there due to the run of play. And good enough offensively to create problems without Beasely speed.

BB can also probably use an asymmetric formation from the back (one outside FB pushed up) with El Salvador trying to clog things up in the center.

51. Jeff says:

Anyone know where you can catch the replay?

As said before – NOT Rogers!

52. AndyinSeattle says:

Rogers and Torres will be playing a big match “before they’re ready” at some point.

53. ECSblows says:

Time for Torres

54. silverrey says:

Although Rogers looked a little camera shy in the Sweden game, I was pretty happy with his overall play in the Olympics. ElSal or TnT would be a good time for him to show what he’s got. Stuart Holden was also on BB’s radar but picked up a nick in training camp January. If he’s healthy, I like his creativity. Adu could take left and easily take on people, but we’d be giving up a cross and defense. He also has a tendency to slide central from his wing too much.

Eddie Lewis is always a good back up plan, but I’d like to see one of the youngsters step up in the upcoming games.

55. cam says:

more importantly, this shows how we really need to get damarcus out of scotland asap. he’s too little, he’s not made for that type of game on a regular basis. either bring him home, or get him back to holland. france probably would be a good league for him as well.

that said, dempsey plays on the left for fulham so id put him out there. however, i would certainly not put landy out right. he’s much better as a withdrawn striker or an attacking mid… he feels out of position on the right. maybe call up robbie rogers to play on the right. he’s only 21 and has only 1 cap, so its way to early to say he wont be effective for the natl team. you gotta start somewhere, and its only t&t in nashville we’re talking about, not a hard hitting central american team in a hostile stadium. i always liked convey, and he has more int’l experience than rogers, but he’s coming off a major injury, while rogers is coming off a major championship winning season.

56. MVK says:

Adu looked real good out there last time he played. I think with young talents like (in what I view as rightful pecking order) Adu, Torres, and Rogers you cant really go with Lewis.

57. Anthony says:

I think I’d put Altidore and Adu up top and put Dempsey on the left.

I do want to see Torres get some playing time, though.

58. Aquaman says:

I’d put in Adu on the left. He can do respectively out there. I know a lot is going to be said about his lack of defense out on the wing but maybe this can be covered by either Pearce, Bornstein or Bocanegra in coverage. If Boca goes out left then you could pair Gooch with any number of quality back-up CB’s. Boca wouldn’t offer as much on the overlaps but could shore up the left side defensively if Adu pinches in.

I would have chosen Convey, but he hasn’t played in a while. It’s not so much that I question his fitness, it’s that I haven’t seen him play in a long time so I don’t know if he would even be the best option.

59. MVK says:

oh, and if you put Adu on the left and a team does something like Mexico did and focus on Dempsey and Donovan they will get punished for having a single person in front of Adu and the goal (hopefully Ching would stay out of the way)

60. Aquaman says:

Oh, and jmac proposed another possible quality option in Stuart Holden. I saw a lot of promise from him in the Olympic qualifiers and Olympics. He would be an entertaining selection even if only for the coincidence that Beasley would be replaced by a Scotsman.

61. bubba says:

Klejstan to the left and Torres in the middle with Michael Bradley and Dempsey would be good to see. I don’t think this would hurt to try since both Torres and Klejstan track back and help defend…

62. Matt Mathai says:

@kizz: “LOL, if the Scottish Premier League sucks how come Beasley and Reyna have played there and Beasley will not come home?”

Money

63. Army of Dad says:

I say Torres or Adu, though you could get by with Lewis, Donavan or Dempsey.

64. Peter says:

Donovan, Donovan, Donovan.

He’s got some time there, switching with DMB.

Instead of looking at this as a patchwork, short-term thing, BB should use this as an opportunity to prepare younger players to fill the squad.

Players rise to their expectations, if they don’t fall on their faces.

Therefore, Ching must go. Yes, he’s had a couple of good games against “Local” competition. Nice leave off for the Sweden goal. But on the WC level there’s NO WAY he’s the answer. I see Ching as a forward with *glacial* pace at the top of a team predicated on speed and fitness. I think we need to place our faith in our younger players. SO, I advocate…
    —————–Altitore——————-
    Donovan——–Adu———–Dempsey
    ———Kljestan——Bradley———-

Speed kills, and USMNT CAN be the fastest team in the northern hemisphere.

Don’t even get me started on Wynne.

65. cam says:

clearly ching isnt the answer, peter, everyone knows he’s just a stopgap. altidore is that answer, and maybe cooper as well. problem is, we have nobody else right now. hopefully altidore will develop enough between now and june 2010 that he will be able to be effective in the wc. if i were bb id be playing altidore as much as possible, those confederations cup games look like a good opportunity for jozy.

66. ELAC says:

Torres/Bornstein = Pirlo/Gatusso

Well, hopefully.

67. Kizz says:

Money

Posted by: Matt Mathai

Thanks for making my point for me Matt, to dismiss the Scottish League would be a dumb move, plus if you play for the big two (Rangers and Celtic), you will make good money and play at least in the UEFA Cup if you miss out on CL

68. northzax says:

*cough* Scottish league sucks *cough*

Posted by: Scott A

Posted by: Kizz | February 19, 2009 at 01:51 PM

it’s called cash money. the top two scottish clubs get their champions league money and can outpay any US squad. the dropoff between those two and the next teams is more dramatic than in any other league in western europe.

69. Nick Sindt says:

I think i’d go with moving LannyCakes over and putting Freddy Adu into the middle of Bobbo’s 4-2-3-1 formation. If it were a 4-4-2 then I think you’d have to go with Lewis or Torres since either of them have shown that they know what the word defense means, whereas Freddy acts like a high-school senior debating doing some tough calculus problem or driving over to his girlfriend’s house for a quickie.

70. Is Szetela hurt or what? I’d put Sacha outside and put Szetela or Torres in the middle.

While we’re at it, hows Zizzo looking nowadays?

71. Gotham SC says:

Zizzo would never have seen a minute in the u20 world cup if johann wasnt injured, n never recieved that seniort eam call up…

peter u say speed kills but ur forgetting the fastest person in the league haha
    ———–Altidore——
    Stuart Holden–Adu–Johann Smith
    ———Klejstan–Bradley—–

teams wudnt b able to handle all that speed on the right side if we had wynne at right back

72. aristotle says:

Kingsnake:

You really are full of yourself, aren’t you?

The Scottish Premier League is a quality two team league. Big deal.

73. Nick C says:

Call in Bobby if he’s fit and ready to play. If not, bring back Eddie Lewis!

74. John Fish says:

I think Jeff above is right. Dempsey plays there for Fulham from time to time, and switches with Davies most games. Play him there, Sacha on the right and Torres in the middle.

75. Göteborg Matt says:

Jemal Johnson, without question. Yes I realize he’s a League One player, but he has been stellar this year. Goes bombing forward and delivers quality crosses, takes players on, even shows a head for goal. Even with Beasley healthy, Johnson should at least get called in for a camp so Bradley can have a look.

76. csar says:

This one is easy: Change the formation to a 4-3-2-1. Like this:

Howard
    Cherundolo Gooch Bocanegra Pearc

Sascha Bradly Torres

Dempsey Donovan

Ching

It might be time to change formations anyway as we seem to have plenty of central midfielders but not enough wide players.

77. Chase says:

Johann Smith!? Wow, I’m pretty sure we have better option than a youngster, who has done very little as a professional and has no expereince at the senior international level…

78. Robert says:

Donovan. Start Ching-Altidore or lone striker Ching and Adu/Kljestan/Torres/Rogers right behind.

79. ComeOnYouWhites says:

dempsey to the left, pull donovan back to the right, put in adu as a CAM, altidore up front. adu & altidore have chemistry & vision that’s lacking with some of the more senior players.

80. Scott A says:

@Kizz “LOL, if the Scottish Premier League sucks how come Beasley and Reyna have played there and Beasley will not come home?”

It’s very simple…the Old Firm are solid clubs. Beyond that, it really is a poor league. I’m not trying to be a hater but it’s true. This third-division side which was playing Rangers in the Scottish Cup is semi-professional. I’m not even saying that the league should be better; Scotland is a pretty small country and Rangers and Celtic themselves have had some success. But people have a bloated idea of the rest of the league. It’s very physical–in a bad way in my opinion, predictable, muddy, and not very skilled beyond the top two. Before any Scots attack me, I don’t hate the league, I just don’t think it’s very good

81. Isaac says:

Kljestan out wide with Mastroeni helping Bradley in the middle. Torres getting the start on the left flank isn’t COMPLETELY out of the question. He’s a hard worker and I think Heath Pearce would feel comfortable with him in front of him. Then again, I’ve always had a theory that maybe Torres should play as a right winger, that way he’s not obligated to knock in crosses. Something like this I geuss:

Dempsey——Bradley—Kljestan——-Torres

We certainly wouldn’t be lacking in technical ability thats for sure.

82. Barry U says:

From left Field – Jemal Johnson MK DONS. I think he is left footed and playing well for the second place Legue One team on 60+ points. He is a striker on paper but he has like 10 assists. From what I’ve heard he takes most corners and is sparkplug for them. MK Dons should be in the Championship next year.

Semi Realistic – Robbie Rogers. But he needs to be more consistent.

More realistic – Paco Torres. He can shoot and is good on the ball and seems like he would defend since he plays in central midfield.

83. Isaac says:

Back up Left Wingers/Midfielders:

Eddie Lewis – Doesn’t have the legs that Beasley does but his range of passing and service, off the static and moving ball, is very handy.

Robbie Rogers – The speediest winger we have behind Beasley. a 1v1 artist, can shoot, great passer and technically gifted but when provided with possibly the best header of the ball as a target, he failed to provide the service the U.S. needed.

Jose Francisco Torres – As stated so many times, isn’t a natural winger. However, his work rate and of course range of creative passing is something to watch for on the wing. Either way I think we WILL see him next time around and his chances of starting are much better off.

Sacha Kljestan- Not a lefty but has shown with the U.S. and with Chivas( when Bornstein was injured) that it never mattered. As a matter of fact, He seemingly does better on the left wing. His 1v1 ability and creative passes make him exciting to watch. Of course should he decide to cut inside, We all know any goalkeeper within 34 yards should keep an eye on him.

84. Chris U says:

Brad Davis

85. BrianK says:

I like what Dan said above,…I would like to see Torres and Bradley in the middle together…with Dempsey on the right and Rob Rogers on the left. I realize Rogers is green but it is time for him step up. Besides,…matches against ES and T&T would be a good start.

86. Craig says:

The return of Bobby Convey to great form…

87. Dave says:

Are people serious about putting Freddy in? He has rotted on the bench since December, in no way does that deserve a call up much less a start. Put Torres in the middle, and then decide whether you would want to have LD or Sacha on the left or in the 10 spot.

88. soccerroo says:

I would go with Torres or Donovan if you are leaving everything else the same. Beasley played more towards the middle in the Mexico game allowing Pearce to overlap, so you are not hurt by Torres or Donovan.

89. SonicDeathMonkey says:

Johann Smith? Adu? Brad Davis? Why not suggest Walter Bahr while you’re at it. Jeez.

90. ChrisM says:

What about Justin Mapp???

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

91. Jason says:

Easy for me, LW depth chart:

1) Beasley
    2) Lewis
    3) Rogers
    4) Adu
    5) Torres
    6) J. Johnson
    7) Clark
    8) Mapp

Just go to the next name on the list.

Otherwise, I’d do something BB would never do: switch formations.

As others have said, I’d go 4-3-2-1.

———Guzan———–
    Dolo–Gooch–Boca–Pearce
    –Bradley–Pablo–Torres–
    —–Donovan—Dempsey—
    ———-Ching———-

Subs: Perkins, Hejduk, Califf, Altidore, Adu, Clark, Edu.

92. Original Aaron says:

Torres has to get on the field. He may be the most composed player on the ball of anyone in our entire pool. Put him on the left wing. Put him on the right wing. Put him in the middle. But put him on the bloody field. Its time to get him into rythm wiht the other guys so he is ready for Confederations Cup and South Africa 2010.

93. Tim from Texas says:

if this hypothetical situation were to occur in 6-8 months, i think i’d vouch for Bobby Convey as well. If not him, Robbie Rogers. And as for Eddie Lewis, the guy can’t even make an impact an immediate impact for the Galaxy, so how could anyone expect him to do so on the national team?

94. Nicole says:

I’d put Donovan on the left, Dempsey on the right, and start Altidore and Ching up top. Donovan played LM against Poland last year and had a very strong game.

95. David says:

Um… I would start Adu, Torres or Klejstian ahead of Beasley even if he were healthy. He runs around a lot, but haven’t seen him do much other than that.

He needs to be moved to left back.

96. Jacob A. says:

I like the idea of Holden, but more for T&T, at El Salvador, I don’t necessarily have a problem with Eddie Lewis getting the start. As others have said, he won’t be terribly tired based on timing in the MLS season, and we saw the “experience card” pay dividends last year with him in similar situaions. Dempsey with whoever out right works for me also. Torres needs to be in Klejstian’s spot if you ask me.

97. nirwin says:

What I would do: Start Adu in the hole and then either put Donovan on the right and Dempsey on the left or vice versa, whichever the two are more comfortable with (they could switch in-game to the other if one isn’t working, as well).

What Bradley would do: Eddie Lewis

98. Fred says:

Jemal Johnson!!! hes playin good, give him a shot.

99. CM says:

Play a 4-5-1

————Jozy———–

Rogers—–Donovan—–Dempsey

——Bradley—–Clark—–

Bornstein-Boca-Gooch—Hedjuk

———–Howard————

100. beckster says:

Lewis and Convey. Convey is fit. He has been playing for Reading since last August – they were midseason when he left. Start Lewis and get Convey integrated back into the MNT. Now that he is in town, that should be a lot easier. Torres is the other option – Rodgers is not up to it.

101. madmax says:

Torres and Holden would be in for Sacha and Beas with the Gringo on the left

Beasley needs to leave Rangers and Scotland, not today but yesterday.

102. garen says:

anyone have a link to a highlight of the tackle?

103. PetedeLA says:

It’s time to give Jemal Johnson a try. If we have to keep the same formation– wing-style outside mids– then put Dempsey on the left and try out Johnson on the right. His physical attributes would fit into Bob’s mold, and unless someone’s been playing with the video footage, he’s a very good soccer player. Maybe a qualifier isn’t the right time for such an experiment. But it’s just El Salvador.

104. RSLinIDAHO says:

Freddy Adu on the left.

Adu > Rogers

105. jig says:

oh no! Who’s gonna play LAM now? If we move Dempsey to LAM, who plays RAM? Donovan I guess would be a RAM, but now who’s CAM? Adu? I bet he can CAM it up pretty well.

106. Tim says:

How do we know jemal johnson wants to be play for the US. He has lived in England most of his live. Im sure he would want to play international football, but he may not identify as himself as american at all.

107. Swede Dante says:

Rogers stepped up big time for the Columbus Crew. I have no doubt he can do the same for the MNT when called on.

108. MiamiAl says:

Eddie “The American David Beckham” Lewis is our best player! He should be starting over Beasley anyway…

109. brentmcd says:

Beasley needs to get the heck out of the SPL. The guy is a stick, and it’s a minor miracle he hasn’t been more seriously injured during his time at Rangers. The Scots are freaking madmen who play at 100mph and probably would have little qualms about breaking a Yank’s leg. I say this as a man with Scottish heritage who has played plenty of soccer with folks from there.

110. GJJ says:

Trot out some kids…….It’s not Mexico.

—-Donovan—-Altidore—-
    Adu—Torres–Bradley–Dempsey
    Pearce–Boca—Onyewu–Heyduk
    ———-Guzan—————-

Bring on Kenny Cooper at halftime for Donovan if we are up.

111. kevin says:

I’d prolly start Donovan on the left and Chris Rolfe as his replacement up top.

112. This is a pretty easy call for Bradley.

Clint Dempsey to the left wing, Donovan to right wing and Altidore up the gut.

Alternatively, run a midfield like this:

Dempsey–Torres—Bradley—Kljestan

Put Donovan just in front of this set up to run the middle.

Put Hejduk/Wynne at right back and let them run all day, just like Bob Bradley usually does.

113. Kakadinho says:

Beasley to the LA Galaxy

114. ThaDeuce says:

Replacements for Beasley, in order if tomorrow was WC:
    Eddie Lewis- the tried and true
    Jose Francisco Torres- left wing is the only position he has played for USMNT and he looked good doing it
    Sacha Klejstan- not ideal, but this is our 4th man deep
    Bobby Convey- even injured would be better than adu
    Adu- he can cross and run at defenders when he is inspired (like an artist or a procrastinating scholar)