Red Bulls deal Van Den Bergh to FC Dallas

DaveVanDenBergh2 (AP)

Dave Van Den Bergh is on his way to Dallas.

The trade that first came to light over the weekend became reality late last night as the New York Red Bulls traded Van Den Bergh and the No. 14 overall pick in the MLS Draft to FC Dallas for forward Dominic Oduro, the No. 11 and the No. 18 picks in the draft.

Dallas-based website 3rd Degree, which reported months ago that FC Dallas was search for a veteran left winger, first uncovered the main pieces of the trade last night, and sources confirmed the details of the trade to SBI on Tuesday.

The trade will send the fan-favorite Van Den Bergh to Dallas and gives the Red Bulls the type of speedy forward they have been looking for as well as two draft picks in a draft widely-regarded as being a deep one. The Red Bulls also stand to save close to $240,000 in salary cap space they would have used if they had re-signed Van Den Bergh for the $270,000 he was looking to sign for.

Sources have also told SBI that the trade of Mike Magee to Los Angeles is close to being completed, with one sources saying Tuesday morning the deal has been made. No word yet on the details of what the Galaxy traded the Red Bulls.

What do you think of the deal? Share your thoughts below.

This entry was posted in MLS Draft 2009, MLS- FC Dallas, MLS- New York Red Bulls. Bookmark the permalink.

77 Responses to Red Bulls deal Van Den Bergh to FC Dallas

1. Cam says:

Good deal for both teams. I have a feeling that Osorio has someone in mind to replace DVB. I wonder how the signing of Dominic Oduro affects the Mac Kanji situation.

2. RB Baby says:

Kinda disappointed it was just the 11th pick and not Dallas’ 5th pick, but I think the deal was going to get done nonetheless. Remember, VDB’s wife is from Dallas, and he wanted to go their originally before the whole KC Discovery thing. Bummed to lose VDB, but hopefully we bring in a good CAM to replace him. Gonna be painful to see mister motor (NOT!) Rojas on the left side.

Go Bulls!

3. Kevin says:

I guess we’ll be using that DP this year.

Should anyone really be suprised with this team? Is there a team in the league that has been better at trading away their most talentd players? None of what was accomplished last season would have happened without VDB.

4. cbr says:

wow..i dont know what to think of it. This is clear indicatin that RB is looking for quantity rather than quality.

you cant blame them with the busy schedule next year.

JPA must be pissed

5. victor says:

Hmmm…who’s going to play left midfield? HOpefully the Red Bulls have something up their sleeve, b/c they really needed to get a midfielder to replace the one they gave up. It’s great that you saved the cash and all, plus you’ve got Odoro as a super sub and hopefully you can earth a decent prospect or two in the draft, but where will those prospects develop w/o a reserve league?

6. Charlie N. says:

Sorry to see him leave. I hope I have to eat my words, but this trade sucks. The only way this could work out in our favor is if the cap space can be used to add depth for the extra games required this season. The chance that the draft picks we get can provide service to Angel ( as VDB was able to do), or to tighten up the back line is highly unlikely. This “may” go down in the bad trade column, and my gut feeling is it’s near the top. My only hope is JCO and Agoos know better than me. Who is our left wing now??

7. allegre says:

I think it sounds a bit like they will be using and not trading their 2nd DP slot. I’m sad to see VDB leave. He alway played with hustle and had one of his best years last year. I expect the Magee move to be imminent in light of this trade.

8. The Athority says:

LM can either be Rojas or Oscar Etchieveirry at this point.

Also, if RB pick up Randloph for Magee, Randolph can play left mid.

9. AltiCooper says:

Bring Beasley to NY!!

10. ernj says:

I just don’t understand why RBNY eschews any type of consistency in their roster. To deal the player who really held the team together both when JPA was out and in the playoffs is really incredible, particularly with money available from the Altidore transfer and the potential sale of the 2nd DP slot.

Ives — any update on whether Kandji will be brought on board permenantly?

11. A.S. says:

Dave VDB was the Red Bulls best player last year, bar no one (including JPA). So you better hope that the player they get with the cap space is good enough to replce him. Based on last year, IMO, JCO’s talent evaluation skills are not the greatest, so this is a big gamble.

12. Cindy says:

ugh this makes me so sad as a fan of DvdB

13. ernj says:

I find it incredibly that RBNY eschews any consistency in their roster. VDB really held the team together both in the playoffs and when JPA was out. In my opinion the team’s MVP last season. Will miss his work rate and steadiness a lot.

Ives — any update on whether Kandji will be brought on board permenantly?

14. rednow.red4ever says:

I guess I can see where Osorio is going with this…but it is slightly humorous he traded his second best player to get it…and at times the only one really playing down the stretch…(ok, not including JPA)…

15. So RB would have saved $240K IF they signed vdB again, but what’s the ACTUAL savings versus what they were paying him last year?

16. ernj says:

apologies for the double post

17. fcd fan says:

I think we just paid for DVB’s career year. Not wise when you look at losing a player with Oduro’s pace. Not many people in the league that can keep up with his speed. With Dane Richards and Oduro together…Red Bull should have one of the fastest attacks in the league next year.

18. Steve says:

As an FCD fan, all I have to say is: WOOHOO!

19. smorebs says:

I can understand where Osorio is going here but, I’m still sad to see it happen. DVB is probably the most versatile player from last years team but, to get quality you must give quality. Rojas can play Left mid and we are now gaining a second striker. In this situation we still need a 2-way or attacking central mid to make up for what we loose with vdB. This will turn out to be either a great move or one of the worst in metro history.

20. This Guy says:

In the long run of an entire season I would take Rojas over VDB. VDB has his skill but Rojas is a top player in MLS that was not on form. Rojas vs. Barcelona was him at his best and I expect to see that this season. I think it was win/win for both squads. What do I know though, I’m a Fire supporter and we just kept Blanco and let Marmol go??????

Selling tickets is obviously more important than winning matches at Toyota Park this year.

21. lakaix15 says:

I LOVE THIS TRADE!!!!

but

Ives, I know Kanji’s loan was over in December, is he going to be a RBNY member for now on????

-lakai

22. Larry says:

Sad. Once Altidore left, he became the only guy I liked to watch. Harder than ever to be a MetroBull fan.

23. Chris says:

I’m not happy if we traded the 14th pick. Brian Lewis reported we traded the 29th pick for the 11th and 18th.

link to blogs.nypost.com

24. Ben says:

Magee would be a decent addition for LA and not over 30 either…

mid 20s, not too hefty caphit, if he resigned for a similar payday.

not sure if he’s seen as a starter or more of roster depth tough.

25. Oscillate says:

Bummed to see this trade go through because of DvdB’s awesome year last year and how he was the glue that kept the team together. I can only hope that Oduro’s the right fit.

26. John says:

Well, it’s a good deal for RBNY. Because the team wasn’t going to pay VDB what he wanted so effectively they got something for nothing.

That said, I don’t like what this says.
    1. I don’t think RBNY got better or got even quality. I just think they got something for nothing.
    2. I think acquiring Oduro probably means that either Kandji isn’t returning (or it’s unclear if he’s returning) or maybe Richards is moving back from the frontline to be an outside midfielder fulltime.
    3. I don’t trust JCO’s talent decisions. He had all preseason last year and didn’t make wise choices to remake the team. So now he jetisons maybe the teams best player all season (if you look at this in terms of the games Angel missed).

You have to assume that either the team is bringing in some really good talent or that Rojas and Pietrevallo are just going to amaze everyone this year. Or it looks like a team that has taken 2 steps back (by losing Parke and trading VDB).

Meanwhile, a young FCD gets a shrewd player who performs when it counts. Surrounded by the right pieces, VDB could have the kind of impact that Schelotto had in Columbus the past two seasons.

27. andy says:

booooooooo

28. Joamiq says:

Dammit. So who are we going to sign with all this cap space? I think we’re going to have difficulty replacing VDB. I don’t think the #11 and #18 picks are going to net us anything. I only see a few good MLS players coming out of this draft.

29. Justin says:

Wow, what a good point by AltiCooper earlier in this post, bring Beasley to NY. Now that would make a lot of people stop saying they hate this trade and look at it as a superb deal. If NY made this trade with the intentions of clearing up cap space so they could use their 2nd DP slot and fill it with Beasley, that would be awesome. I can see it happening, especially with all the talk of Beasley leaving Rangers. I would love to see Run DMB back in the States.

30. Ceez says:

BULLsh*t

31. Tom P says:

The Red Bulls are going to regret this move I believe.

32. Mikemike says:

I am not so sure about this. I like the idea of super speed, but VDB was the rock of the team last year. It’s really big shoes to fill.

I have heard that VDB only crossed the ball and was predictable (which I don’t think he was), but someone’s gotta put some crosses in. I know Dane can’t do it.

33. Karl says:

Horrible trade….FIRE AGOOS

34. john says:

we shouldnt give up on kandji. doing so will bite us in the behind

35. Marc says:

given the salary cap, the move needed to be done. VDB isn’t getting any younger and RB was a very slow team last year.

36. soccerroo says:

I think the redbulls get a good deal here. Oduro had gone from super sub to starter last year until Dallas signed Cunningham. He was called into Ghana’s national team last year. He had 5 goals and 2 assist with only 9 starts and 992 minutes. Better than Magee. He is also only 23 and maybe with the Redbulls for longer period than VDB is with Dallas.

37. jmac says:

FC Dallas got the best player in the deal, so I think they got the better of the deal. They still have multiple draft picks to add quality youngsters.

38. Barksdale says:

Great trade for Red Bull. Oduro will certainly help and although I like VDB, I think Rojas will be better in his first full season. Excited to see who they get with the extra draft pick!

39. Metrosct says:

I wonder if RBNY is making a move to bring Beasley back – that would make this move more palatable.

40. J says:

fantastic deal for the reasons mentioned. talk about selling high.

somehow, it’s not surprising to see how many fanboys are all up in arms over it. sad to be a part of such a delusional fanbase.

41. sack says:

Ives,

No offense, but why do you keep insisting in every article where the draft comes up that this is a “deep” draft. Honestly it really is not.

Also, all we really got was the 18th pick as the 11th and 14th swap is really a wash. Draft picks dont win trophies in MLS.

42. Ga-gone says:

Great, lets unload another guy who actually works for the team and gives their all week-in week-out. This will certainly make us even more consistent

43. Voodoo says:

Putting a 270k pricetag on VDB’s talent seems like a great deal to me. Returns on Dave’s talents far outweigh a mere 270k.

If Osorio is such a genius, and Agoos a competent suit, why couldn’t they figure out how to fit those salary demands into the team cap?

Red Bulls lose. Official score:

VDB 270k, NYRB 0

44. Miguel says:

This is the worst trade in Red Bulls history. Dominic Who??? And I thought trading away Dema last year was bad. Ives, can you speculate on who the Red Bulls will pick with the 11th and 14th pick now.

45. Nick says:

I’m a big fan of DVDB, but I think this could end up being a good trade for NY. Oduro is 9 years younger, much cheaper, and has improved consistently over the last couple seasons. He could easily end up being a top 10 forward in this league for years to come. DVDB, on the other hand, only has maybe two more good seasons left.The big question mark is whether Osorio can find a good crosser for the left wing, since Richards probably won’t be able to consistently pick out Angel in the air.

46. Cam says:

Sorry to change the subject, but has an opening date been set for Red Bull Arena?

47. allegre says:

Looks like my post got deleted but there is a story about a family health problem which caused VDB to ask to be sent to Dallas.

48. SonicDeathMonkey says:

I think the trade helps both teams. FCD fill an obvious need, and NYRB clear cap space, gain a draft pick, and in Oduro they get a young, up and coming striker with plenty of pace that will open things up for Angel. Everybody wins.

49. Coach says:

Two pennies for a quarter. For a guy who should have been MLS Best XI, you’d think they could’ve gotten at least a dime.

This franchise is cheap even by MLS standards.

50. Danny says:

Should’ve kept Van Den Bergh…He was the most consistent player on the Red Bulls team last season…Big loss…I can’t believe how many fan favorites are gone…First Parke…Now VDB…And soon it’s going to be Magee

51. The Athority says:

Cam,

I live 20 minutes away. Don’t expect Red Bull Arena to open until 2010.

They are making good progress but these things take time.

52. Voodoo says:

Nick,

What you say sounds reasonable until you consider that left-sided mids who can provide decent service to the box are rare-to-extinct.

I would challenge anyone to name more than a few competent MLS players who can consistently cross from the left.

53. mikey says:

MLS=Minor League Soccer

54. Miguel says:

Cam,

Unless something unforseen happens, Red Bull Arena is slated to open in October 2009.

55. Tim F. says:

Balsy to give up your first/second best players for unknown quantities. Definitely a step backward.

56. Eric R says:

i understand podolski is available…

57. Nick says:

I’m expecting Osorio to look outside the league for a left-sided player. Somebody might be drafted to fill that position as well.

There are some players in MLS like Mendoza or Brad Davis that I’d happily take, but I doubt NY could acquire either for a reasonable price.

58. Tim says:

So basically JCO is dismantling the team that just took you (albeit luckily) to the MLS Cup Finals. What a good coach.

59. brett says:

FCD may have just went from struggling to holding their own in the league…. DVB is definitely going to help out with services to Cooper and Cunningham….

is JCO going to be scouting another list of foreign “talents” and continue to adjust the redbulls lineup week after week?? hopefully for you redbull fans, JCO goes after some decent foreign talent and stock up on local talent as well…. you’ll need the depth to compete in the CL and succeed….

however, if JCO uses the 2nd DP and/or gets more untested talents from afar you could be viewing at a similar season…

60. Andre` says:

I’m in a minority of RedBull fans that love this trade. we got rid of someone aging, who makes alot more money than he should. not saying he isn’t worth it, just not in MLS, where salary caps are torrid.

We get a young fast raw striker project. between oduro richards and Kandji, we may have 3 of the 5 fastest players in the league.

We also get cap space, and more underrated, we now have two of the first 18 picks in the draft, so depth will be there this year.

I also thouyght of this tidbit, with Parke gone, all this cap space we have, can we please give Eric Brunner his friggin 40K a year and have a CB for the future.

61. kpugs says:

I’m glad they’re saving so much money, but this is one of those cases where my personal opinion is that Van Den Bergh at his requested salary would still give them more than the three players they’re going to end up with at much lower salaries. It’s really disappointing.

As for Magee, thank goodness.

62. Malcolm says:

NOOOO. Thats terrible. Its a big loss for the red bulls. Ives, you wouldn’t happen to know when Red Bull Park is going to open.

63. eric says:

New York better have a good replacement idea, ***cough cough*** Beasley. VDB was easily among the best in MLS at his position, and I couldn’t mount much of an argument against anyone who put him in their Best XI. I get the lower cap room, but how is $250k or so not worth that?

64. eric says:

Andre inspired me to look up Oduro’s stats last year, since everyone is talking about VDB. Not bad, 5 goals and 2 assists in 992 min (which they spread out over 25 games, but essentially 11 games) for $33k.

I’m starting to talk myself (as a neutral fan) into being interested in watching a team who starts Oduro and Juan Pablo up top, especially with the utterly mediocre Magee gone (my money is on Rojas being significantly better). It’s up to Osorio now to find the talent to plug in with that cap space.

65. Eugene says:

Can’t get Beasley, the team would need to be first (or at least high in the allocation order) to get a returning US national team player. Right now NY is sitting like 13th.

Bad deal, bad business. For all the reasons that NY had, they should have gotten better value for Van den Bergh. Instead they got fleeced for the second best midfielder in the league last season. NY should have gotten Oduro, Brek Shea and a draft pick.

66. Tim F. says:

Red Bulls have signed Mac Kandji. Still surprised that vDB was traded.

67. metrostar 4 life says:

thanks for the memories DVB… you won’t be forgotten in NY… oduro is very promising though on a plus side

68. Sterlinho says:

The trade makes sense for both of the teams from a cap perspective. It’s just a shame that NY is forced to trade away VDB if they want to use thier 2nd DP slot.

69. Roberto says:

good trade or not… You know the rule; player that leaves RB gets even better as a player, can you imagine how good vdv will be now that he left? Even better than 2008!! How can you top that? Answer; Leave RBulls

70. Chris says:

I’m a Fire supporter, and I have always thought that Van Den Bergh was under appreciated.

I think he is a top class player in this league, and probably doesn’t get the cred he deserves. Kenny Cooper is probably pretty happy about this, but if I was a NYRB supporter, I would not be happy.

Maybe they can sign Marmol now? :)

71. Andre` says:

You people who are saying “They could’ve done more to keep him” are not doing any reading on this at all, just judging. The backstory on the trade that’s on the NY Post website gives alot of insight on the whole situation.

Anyone who thinks Redbulls lost out on this trade is an idiot.

72. eric says:

Why don’t you explain it then, or at least link Andre. Last I heard was the article Ives posted that said they asked VDB to take a pay cut, which I thought was a low class and stupid move.

73. ag nigrin says:

At this point I am very disappointed but I will wait and see what fruit if any this trade brings to the Red Bulls!

74. Matt M. says:

I know NY had cap problems so I don’t really blame them too much. Note that DVB, whom was indeed their best players, is also aging.

Remember, in MLS, you don’t just manage talent, you manage the cap. By giving him up, you now have the opportunity to go for a two or three midlevel players to add depth.

Ideally, they’d have given up less productive players (just about all of JCO’s signings), but some had contracts.

Dominic Oduro is young, cheap and fairly productive and talented. Not a bad consolation. He may even have a greencard, though I’m not sure.

NY needs depth of talent.

I’m not sold on JCO but maybe he’ll turn it around. I think his run to the MLS finals was a fluke by a mediocre team (remember LA’s “Championship” team a few years ago when they had the ninth best record in MLS). In the end, NY backed into the playoffs and got hot over a three game period.

The team needs to get better. Just because it never happened before, doesn’t mean it won’t this time.

75. aristotle says:

Hooray! More mediocrity for NYRB. Now to go with their slow mediocre players they have a fast mediocre player. With a few more trades like this they should be able to ensure mediocrity for years to come. Perhaps one final trade is in order. JPA for four mediocre players. Sigh. Are there going to be any fans in the new stadium? Just to beat a dead horse a little more, if the NYRB were a rock group they would be called JPA and the mediocres. I’ll shut up now.

76. Ken U says:

THe trade isnt half bad Red Bull fans don’t get too worried. Oduro should be a good 2nd striker and he contract is very cheap whcih is a plus. Also moving up to 11 gives us a better chance at a quality wing back or left winger who can step in. 18th pick isnt too bad either. Now we just move Rojas in left and play Sassano/Pietra/Ubi in center mid. (and that is if we do not sign anyone)

Keep in mind VDB probably has only a couple more years in him because he is not getting any younger.

77. BarçaGirl says:

I must be seeing things… i read this wrong… that’s it. =S