Altidore completes loan move to Xerez

Jozy Altidore 1 (ISIphotos.com)

Jozy Altidore's loan move to Spanish second division leaders Deportivo Xerez is now official, a source close to Altidore confirmed on Friday.

Altidore joined his new club today for the start of a half-season loan that should afford him the opportunity for much more playing time than he has been receiving with Villarreal.

So why would Villarreal loan Altidore out to Xerez and not a bigger club like Everton? It's pretty simple really. Villarreal have long-term plans for Altidore to be a part of its club. Keeping him in Spain will allow Altidore to continue his assimilation to the culture, and will also allow Villarreal to keep close tabs on his progress. He is also joining a club that is currently in first place in the second division so he won't be expected to come in and carry the team. Xerez is also coached by respected former Barcelona player Esteban Vigo.

For those wondering, Xerez returns to action on Sunday to face Alicante CF, which currently sits second from bottom in the Segunda standings.

What do you think of the move? Like it? Hate it? Are you frantically trying to find out how to watch Xerez games online?

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad, European Soccer, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

74 Responses to Altidore completes loan move to Xerez

1. RSF says:

so much for that no loan thing they said a few weeks ago

2. Andrew says:

Ives- I cant say how enthusiastic I am about this. Altidore has so much potential, and needs to be playing.

3. milkshake of despair says:

What does this say of his chances of being released for the Mexico game?

4. Smacking says:

I’m optimistic at this point. He’s had some time to work with Villarreal and learn the system and training. Now it’s time for 6 months of action. Assuming he sees the field, this will give him an opportunity build on what he’s learned and come back to Villarreal and fight for a spot. Best of luck to Jozy!

5. This Guy says:

Anything that gets him on the pitch works for me. The competition isn’t the same but being exposed to the Spanish style of play is what will benefit him.

Who are Xerex?…….My new favorite Spanish team of course.

6. spencer says:

Should have let him go to Everton

7. nate says:

How do you pronounce it?

8. Kljestan's Blessed Foot. says:

Spencer, I don’t think Everton were willing to negotiate a 6 month loan like this. This is great keeping him in Spain and getting him playing time then back to Villareal when the season ends.

9. RK says:

One less reason to have GolTV.

I don’t like it; neither Jozy nor Pelligrini wanted it. Jozy also had a chance to make the CL roster.

I’m guessing this guarantees that Villarreal sign Oliveira.

10. Tommy says:

I would guess Villareal has the option to have him returned at any point.

Great move, I am assuming he will start ASAP.

11. dshaw says:

Any idea of how to watch the games?

12. kofi_x5 says:

Dang it! Now I have to buy a PC so I can watch the games. I’ll have to save $ by cutting off my GolTV until he’s back to Villreal

13. Andrew says:

tommy- exactly my thoughts.. will he be starting this sunday???

14. RK says:

The X is pronounced like the SH in sherry (Xerez is the home of sherry).

15. Michael Vann says:

I know the Segundo Division is a reputable league and many La Liga clubs “farm” out their talent to clubs in that division but I’m skeptical of this loan. I don’t know why though. Maybe because the Everton loan was out there but Villarreal passed. I guess my thought was that Jozy would move on loan to a top division side. But ultimately this is going to benefit Jozy so I guess I can’t complain.

16. I’m amazed that anyone can find a negative in this situation. This is great news.

17. Andrew says:

Faux Fur and Soccer Shirts: its great news as long as he doesnt sit on the bench there as well.. he needs to be playing!

18. quakes fan says:

A loan to Everton did not guarantee playing time, he still most likely would be sitting on the bench. He’s still super young and this should give him a chance to play on a team that is fighting for promotion. I don’t see this as a bad thing at all.

19. Ed Ho says:

I like it.

Worse case would be he actuallyu transfers there. But, with them likely to be promoted, Jozy would be back in La Liga next year.

He needs to play – period.

20. RK says:

None of us know enough about Xerez; why does a first-place team need him?

21. Eugene says:

Sounds like good news to me! I hope he gets more playing time. Let’s see where he is in 6 months, maybe he’ll need another loan.

22. Andrew,
    Agreed. But the fact is, he was getting nothing where he was. I’ll take the possibility of “Some” over the certainty of “None” any day.

23. Drew-ROC says:

I like it. The guys needs as much PT as possible going into 2010.

24. arkjayback says:

This move only works if he is getting TONS of playing time. The team is in first place so it seems odd that they would negotiate a loan for a teenage striker. And of course I’m always skeptical of US players’ European transfers after Adu, Bradley, Edu, etc.

I still would have liked to see Altidore at Everton. Cahill is only starting at striker because they have no one else, if they had a healthy true striker, that player would be on the pitch. I think Jozy has proven that he can rise to the occasion and that’s why I don’t think the move would have affected him as much as they worried about.

Altidore has proven to be a big time scorer: two goals against Brazil, goal in very little time with Villareal, go ahead score against the Netherlands, and of course the beautiful goal against Mexico in his first start for the national team.

Even though I’m disappointed that the deal to Everton didn’t work, if Altidore gets plenty of playing time with Xerez, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with this move.

25. Clye McPhat says:

Evrton currently have NO strikers, so saying he wasn’t going to play for the Toffee’s is not really true. Moyes takes short term loan players all the time. IMHO, he’s done in Valencia. They’ll move on.

26. Garen says:

I think its a great move. It will allow him to get valuable playing time (hopefully) and stay familiar with the spanish system.

27. wally says:

Ives, or anyone else, do you know anything about the forward situation at xerez? Is Altidore expected to start? Who will he be competing with for minutes?

28. Mario in SJ says:

I have the same question as RK….why does a first place team need him? Did they lose their main striker? Being a first place teams is worrisome, we dont need another bench to sit on.

We need help from our SBI Spanish mafia.

29. ImaGoalMan says:

It’s a good move in terms of PT, but I (selfishly) would like to see him play for Real Zaragoza…

30. Mikemike says:

This is great. Still alittle confused if Jozy and his coach at Villareal are happy about it, though.

milkshake of despair – International dates have to be recognized. If Bradley calls him (which he will), he’ll come.

31. brentmcd says:

just want the kid to get some PT. that is all

32. Angel says:

Well I think is a good move cause now he can earn a spot in the starting line up and work hard to move this club to the first division. Having someone close to Barcelona is way much better cause if this coach like what he see from Altidore can be a stepin stone to go back to Villareal and be a start player or go to Barcelona. Remember almost all Barcelona ex player are like Family.

33. brentmcd says:

just want the kid to get some PT. that is all

34. Chase says:

Quakes fan,

Sure he wasn’t guaranteed a first XI spot at Everton, but how do we necessarily know that is guaranteed one at Xerez?

Milkshake of despair,

The US doesn’t have to worry about Xerez “releasing him”…the game is on a scheduled FIFA international date and the team is required to allow him to play if he is called into the squad.

35. Kyle says:

Altidore and the coach had a problem with a full transfer not the loan deal.

36. quakes fan says:

Is Xerez’s kit sponsor Xerox? Wouldn’t that be cool…

True there are no guarantees, so time will tell if this was a good move…

37. Daniel Karell says:

This is really wonderful, glad to see him hopefully get some PT now.

38. LittleRockAnt says:

Ives please clarify this post and last post. Was Xerez trying to buy Jozy instead of just a loan deal and the transfer fell through? Did Villareal want to sell him but Jozy and Pelligreni wouldn’t allow?

39. Goalscorer24 says:

This is great. If Altidore can get continious playing time, this is a good thing!

40. Mig says:

Xerex has two primary scorers, Antonito (31 yrs old) and Momo (26). They have scored well, 11 and 9, respectively but neither are hot commodities. I assume they want coverage for the stretch drive. It is entirely possible that Altidore won’t start but he should see plenty of the pitch as a sub.

Regards,

41. Piney O says:

the kind of move young freddy should have pursued….

42. SonicDeathMonkey says:

According to the Xerez wiki page, they list Gino Padula as one of their famous past players. Cool!!

43. Robert says:

X factor. My boy will play now and I bet he’ll score plenty of goals then maybe gets scooped up by another team in Europe and becomes world class. That’s my prediction!

44. Arturo says:

playing on a team thats fighting for promotion is only a good thing very few americans know what that is like and jozy should develop nicely in Spain. We need more technically gifted players on our roster. Going to england would have been a disater in terms of development.

45. Arturo says:

playing on a team thats fighting for promotion is only a good thing very few americans know what that is like and jozy should develop nicely in Spain. We need more technically gifted players on our roster. Going to england would have been a disaster in terms of development.

46. garbaggio says:

Hmmm. I read an article posted this afternoon on Marca (that would be Spain’s afternoon time, not EST) that quoted a Villarreal exec saying it was pretty unlikely.

link to marca.com

It’s a good loan if he gets more time on the field and a bad loan if he doesn’t.

In most of the Spanish-speaking world Xerez or Jerez is pronounced “heh-ress” with the accent on the second syllable. It is a common word as (someone explained above) it the Spanish word for sherry (which is an English attempt to say Xerez). There’s lots of regional accents and dialects within Spain so it’s possible it’s pronounced differently in Xerez than it is in Villarreal.

47. david says:

carry the team?? c’mon.. he’s never carried a team in his life, can these great expectations stop for an unproven player whose transfer fee was paid solely on potential and not achievement

48. Chase says:

“We need more technically gifted players on our roster. Going to england would have been a disaster in terms of development.”

I am so sick of this stereotypical, typecasting of the Premiership (as a punt and run league). Maybe that would have been an adequate description 7-10 years ago, but today the league is home to some of the most technically gifted players in the world. It would not have been a disaster for his development…not that I am knocking this potential loan move, but such a response is cliched and outdated…

49. Steve says:

Good move, he needs the time.

He who shall not be named (rossi) was loaned all over before breaking into the first team.

Q – What’s got two legs, knows everything and no patience?

A – An American Soccer fan

This is part of the development of players Jozy’s age the world over all the time. It doesn’t spell the end of his time at Villareal or mean his career isn’t still on the rise. Be patient. He’s not going to win the 2010 World Cup for us any way. Relax.

50. Mario in SJ says:

Mig. Thanks for the info.

Two strikers who seems to be doing well. I really hope things work out for Josie.

51. b rad says:

why do i have to follow this douche’ … He better start immediately

52. Oscar says:

I think I’m desperate to find Xerez games online. I think Villarreal could still have used him this season, but its not a terrible move for either Jozy or Villarreal.

53. b rad says:

Q- Who’s a big loser?

A- Steve

Ives, keep the highlights comming..its great, especially when I cant get to FSC…

54. Geoff says:

I have to correct RK (above). Xerex is pronounced “Heh-reth” just like its city, Jerez de la Frontera. I lived there for almost 4 years and it’s a great little city. Jozy should enjoy himself.

55. Yossarian says:

Yossarian,

Good move for all the reasons Ives mentioned. I like that they’re loaning him to a team they have a strong relationship with, where they know he’ll play and get coached the way they want. It shows how highly they still esteem him.

Look at it in comparison with Freddie who seemingly just got loaned to the highest bidder with no assurances of playing time or coaching. He’s lost at a club that sucks yet still refuses to give him a chance to crack the lineup, much like Bennie at Derby, last year.

56. Andy in Atlanta says:

Some of you seem to be clueless about loan spells and how important they are for match blooding of a player…. Here is a list of superstars who were farmed out to smaller sides when they were younf….David Beckham (Preston NE), Xavi Alonso (SD Eibar), Rio Ferdinand (Bournemouth), Andrea Pirlo (Reggina and Brescia), Peter Crouch (several notably Norwich City)…NEED I GO ON?

The loan will let Jozy play more and will also get him more attention than playing in the reserves for Villareal. Xerez are a good side who really wants to make their first jump up to La Liga…that is why they are signing Jozy in hopes that he is that extra piece that puts them over the top.

57. deucehead says:

i want to watch online next sunday!!

58. RK says:

Geoff: yeah, I was pronouncing the X as in Xochimilco or Xochicalco or any other X-Spanish word, forgetting that the “real” word/name here is Jerez.

59. Ryan says:

I dont know if it works on PCs, but I have a mac and veetle.com streams fsc and goltv. Bayern Munich is on right now. Hopefully Landon will get in there at some point.

60. Nathan says:

He should have gone to EFC. I’m pissed. Of course he would have played there. Even more now that Cahill has gone down. Bummer. I sure hopes he plays a lot cause if he doesn’t play there, his mentality is going to sink. Jozy is sensitive. DAMN IT!!!!!!! Why not Everton? Oh well. Go Xerox, or whatever.

61. Caldwell says:

Actually get in to matches? Brilliant!

62. Brett says:

If it means more playing time for The Golden Child, then I am in firm support.

But if he goes there and is in the same position he was at Villarreal, then I don’t like the move.

63. de man says:

to the people who say that he would have been a sure or near starter for everton, i have to disagree.

they currently have a mixture of cahill/fellaini/anichibe up top and it seems to be working pretty well.

anichibe is the weakest of those three, and he is still playing well imo. I dont think Jozy could have displaced Anichibe so easily and no way jozy would have started ahead of cahill or fellaini.

it wouldn’t have been a for sure thing that he got more time at everton.

64. Drew D (From FL) says:

Along with everyone else, I think this is a really good move. I’d consider it a cross-bridge from mls to the primera liga.This is better than everton because this gives jozy the opportunity for more playing time, and also important, more time to adapt to spain, their style of play, and their culture. I’m excited to see how this ends up.

65. Michael F. says:

Only makes sense if he plays. We will see.

66. Adam M. says:

Jozy is the only one who can prove whether this is a good move or not. If he plays and scores for the top Second Division side, its a great move that will prove he is a step above that crowd and is derseving of his spot at Villareal. If he doesn’t, then the move doesn’t matter because it was obvious that Jozy wasn’t going to get many minutes at Villareal right now anyway. There are only handful of kids his age getting real time playing first division soccer in a league as good as La Liga, and they include some of the world’s top talent, so patience is a virtue. Jozy doesn’t need to be Messi or Bojan.

67. RK says:

Oliveira officially with Betis. Villarreal is awfully thin at striker now.

68. Gotta agree with Steve and Adam on this one. It’s not like he started out in the Ajax youth system. He started playing in America for goodness sakes. Give him a year with this side. Am sure he will impress and improve along with that.

69. Derrick says:

if he plays alot and plays at striker and not like out of position it’s great. if he doesn’t it sucks. That’s all there is to it.

70. US4mex0 says:

Segunda? Haha, Jozy will score goals.

71. madmax says:

Not sure I agree with you Ives on why Villarreal accepted Xerez and not Everton. Everton would have been a much better career move, even on loan.

72. MayorBloomberg says:

Do some of you realize why Villarreal kept him in Spain? It’s because he has a future with the club. Had he gone to Everton that would mean two things 1)Villarreal was willing too sell since Everton can buy him 2)They didn’t care if adopted to the Spanish game or not. What’s the benefit of playing in England if you’re a Villarreal player? The styles are different on and off the pitch.

Why do you think Adu is on loan in France and not Portugal?

Andy in Atlanta, Thank You!!!

73. madmax says:

Obviously Villarreal and Peligrini lied when they said they couldn’t loan out Jozy to Everton because they needed him for the second half. After watching Victor Anichebe and Marouane Fellaini against United, I’m certain Jozy would have been their top striker. What a shame.