Cooper, Marshall and Franklin among 25 called in to US national team camp

Kenny Cooper 2 (ISIphotos.com)

U.S. Olympic team standouts Sacha Kljestan, Marvell Wynne and Stuart Holden headline a very young group chosen for the first U.S. national team training camp of the new year.

Here is the 25-man roster for the January training camp:

GOALKEEPERS- Jon Busch (Chicago Fire), Will Hesmer (Columbus Crew), Troy Perkins (Valerenga IF), Matt Pickens (out of contract)

DEFENDERS-Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Danny Califf (FC Midtjylland), Sean Franklin (Los Angeles Galaxy), Cory Gibbs (Colorado Rapids), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew), Chris Wingert (Real Salt Lake), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC)

MIDFIELDERS - Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo), Brian Carroll (Columbus Crew), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Eddie Gaven (Columbus Crew), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo), Jack Jewsbury (Kansas City Wizards), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew), John Thorrington (Chicago Fire)

FORWARDS- Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Kenny Cooper (FC Dallas), Charlie Davies (Hammarby IF), Chris Rolfe (Chicago Fire)

Kenny Cooper, Chad Marshall, Sean Franklin, Robbie Rogers and Will Hesmer are just some of the fresh faces included in this MLS-heavy roster. Cory Gibbs joins Brian Ching as two of the only veterans in a very young group.

What are my initial thoughts on the list? I think it's a great group of young talent and we see several players who are coming off strong MLS seasons. Surprise inclusions? Geoff Cameron, Chris Wingert and Jack Jewsbury are all pleasant surprises as three underrated talents who showed versatility and skill all season.

The camp, set to kick off on Jan. 4 in Carson, California, will conclude with the U.S. team's friendly against Sweden on Jan. 24 at Home Depot Center.

What do you think of the group? Happy to see all the young guns get the call? Excited to see Chad Marshall back in the mix? Any inclusions or exclusions that surprise you? Share your thoughts on the squad below.

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

85 Responses to Cooper, Marshall and Franklin among 25 called in to US national team camp

1. A.S. says:

“The squad you have been waiting so long to see”

I’m assuming this is a joke? I mean, the squad I’ve been waiting to see doesn’t include Eddie Gavne, Matt Pickens, and Jack Jewsbury.

2. brett says:

lol, take a look at the midfield….

Houston- 3 players
    Columbus- 3 players
    KC, Chi, CUSA- 1 player each

im not complaining… merely pointing out two teams who seem to have dominant american midfielders….

the forward selection doesnt surprise me… not shocked by the defense either… and the goalies were picked correctly… overall im quite up on the selection…

3. BellusLudas says:

Would have liked to have seen Conor Casey included.

4. matt says:

It’s nice to see Eddie Gaven back in camp. He’s only one year older than Rogers and people are acting like his career is over.

Jewsbury, Carroll, and Wingert are the surprises for me. I kind of like the Cameron call up.

5. ajr says:

Chris Wingert (Real Salt Lake) would be a new face as well

6. EDB says:

Shouldn’t Thorrington be listed as a defender seeing how he is usually deployed as a right fullback.

7. Northzax says:

ok, what’s the over/under on the number of players on this list making the 18 against Sweden? I go with six, Cooper, Ching, Sascha, Rico, bornstein and maybe Marshall.

8. scott47a says:

Wingert jumped out at me … that is until I saw Jewsbury. That’s a real shocker.

But what the heck, let’s get some of these guys some time.

My disappointments? Where are Orozco and Torres? Did we not want to interrupt FMF players?

9. gerald says:

Northzak – Where are the other 12 players coming from? I doubt the Euro-based players are coming over for a friendly

Wingert is a bit of a surprise

10. Eugene says:

There’s really not much to get excited about here. I am happy to see Davies and Cooper get called in. I think Rolfe could be a very good player if he would be more consistent in his performances.

The real key is getting these guys to play 1 or 2 touch soccer with good tactical movement and awareness around the field. Typically our MLS-based guys have been doing a lot of dribbling with poor tactical movement until they have made the jump to Europe where this aspect of the game has been forced on them.

For example with Dempsey, when he limits his touches to 2 and moves around the field smarter, his game immediately improves. I really liked his chest and toe poke past Cech last weekend, but I was even more impressed by the chest and pseudo-bike that he did the game before, even though it was saved.

11. Voodoo says:

What? No Buddle?

Isn’t camp supposed to be an opportunity for an unvarnished look-see at players on the margins? Not just his favorites, and others who he deems as flavors of the month.

I don’t think Bradley fully grasps the concept of a training camp.

12. Isaac says:

‘Bout time. I’ve been waiting a long time for Holden to get the call up. I wonder if Bradley will trust him, Rogers or Sacha at left midfield. a Line up i can see happening is:

—————Cooper—Ching————–

—Holden—Clark——-Kljestan—Gaven—

—Bornstein—Califf—Marshall—Wynne—

——————-Busch——————-

Its nice to have a problem like this among such a new batch of players.

13. Mark says:

Nice roster of young talent. Be good for Bradley to see what these guys can do.

I echo the poster who wanted Connor Casey included. Bob knows all about Ching, so let the guy enjoy his January in Oahu and give Casey a chance to impress.

Glad we aren’t pulling any of the Euro-players in except those out of season. Let all those guys stay with their teams.

Lastly, where is the call-up for Justin Mapp. Oh wait, I hate that guy, glad he wasn’t called. No real reason either for hating him either, maybe because he’s so soft, just not sure…

14. Isaac says:

I wonder if the situation would have been better had this game been held in Sweden. I mean everyone’s talking about Europe based players not coming over but what if the game had been held in Europe? I mean i dont really know either way but its just a question

15. Ulrich says:

The “surprise” invitees are there as the “B” team to practice against. Don’t even think that somebody like Jack Jewsbury has any sort of realistic shot at being in the long-term plans for the National Team.

16. Ted says:

How well does Kyle Beckerman have to play to get a nod anymore?

17. Scott says:

I would have liked to have seen Clyde Simms ahead of Jewsbury or Cameron…even Carroll

18. Ross says:

Wow. I’m surprised no one has mentioned Stuart Holden yet. His play in the Olympics was outstanding, save the foul in the Netherlands game. He’s also played extremely well for the Dynamo for a few years. I know he may not have the flash of a Robbie Rogers, but has been better at a higher level of international play. He like, Jose Torres, may not be the flashiest, but he creates chances for others and puts himself in dangerous places on the field.

19. Justin says:

I say 11 of these players make the squad for the Sweden friendly: Perkins, Thorrington, Marshall, Bornstein, Clark, Kljestan, Rogers, Cooper, Ching, Davies and Rolfe.

Then add in Guzan, Adu, Heydude, Edu, Beasley and maybe Mastroeni.

20. Ryan says:

hey Gerald, Euro based guys come over regularly for friendlies. Guys like Adu and Altidore, who aren’t getting tons of time, will come over I’m sure. Same with Beasley and Edu. We may however, not get Donovan, seeing as he will be starting his loan at Bayern, and I doubt very much to see Boca, Gooch, Dempsey, or Howard, who are all playing huge roles for their clubs.

Northzax- Please see list of players above. You can expect plenty of these guys in camp to be playing against sweden. I expect that probably the entire starting defense will come from this camp, except maybe Pearce. Edu, Bradley, and Beasley will probably all come over for the game, and Adu and Altidore. I’d expect a lineup against Sweden to look something like this:
    Altidore
    Beasley Adu Kljestan
    Bradley Edu
    Pearce Marshall Califf Wynne
    Guzan

21. Yossarian says:

Holden!!! Nice. Love that kid.

22. SonicDeathMonkey says:

Northzax, Bradley isn’t calling in the top Euros that are in season. They do this every year for the MLS based players to get some training in during their offseason. Pay attention.

23. Sterlinho says:

I agree with Voodoo.

Edson Buddle should at least make the camp. Why not let him at least train and see what he can do. I would rather have Buddle than Rolfe in training camp. Reward the guy for having a breakout MLS season.

Long Island’s own Chris Wingert is a bit of a surprise, but the guy was hailed as the best of American Soccer at St. John’s.

I don’t get the Jewsbury call up.

24. Justin says:

@ Isaac—-You think Busch would get the nod over Perkins? I think Perkins was a better MLS keeper than he was plus he now has Euro experience. I am not takng shots, just wondering if you forgot about him.

It’s a moot point anyways as I am sure Guzan will be between the pipes.

25. ben says:

Wingert! Awesome! Nice to see him getting a call; he is very underrated and had a strong (and very quiet) season. He just doesn’t get much attention playing here in Salt Lake (see: Javier Morales).

26. Ted says:

About Euro players in season:

How often do they come over for non-FIFA date friendlies? Almost never. Even the ones not getting time. The 18 will most likely come from this group.

27. Ko'd says:

Chris Wingert. Wow. Just…wow. I have been hoping for his call-up to the MNT camp about as much as I have been hoping to see Joe Max-Moore get the call-up.

28. joe says:

I echo the feeling about Beckerman. Maybe it’s his age keeping from getting called in but he’s better than Carroll for me.

29. jmac says:

Glad to see Cameron on that list. If you consider all competitions, he was the best rookie last year in MLS.

30. Ted says:

Beckerman is only 26…

Also, no Harrington? I thought he would be a shoo-in.

I guess there are more than a few things strange about this roster, but it’s not like it’s completely out of the blue.

31. Yossarian says:

I don’t have particularly high hopes for Marshall. he seems a step slow to my untrained eye, and while he’s got good size, he’s not exactly Gooch-sized. He’s also not 19, he’s in his mid-20s and I wonder why he didn’t get any Euro love at the transfer window. Others would know better than me, but, from what I can see, his upside isn’t that high.

32. Cam says:

If Edson Buddle can’t make it into this camp, the Bradley is never going to give him the call. I would have liked to see him in the mix.

33. ajr says:

Kyle Beckerman is only 26 thats still young he needs to get some more call ups for sure

34. Justin says:

Oh yeah, I totally spaced Holden. He will make the squad as well.

———–Cooper——–Davies————

——————-Adu———————

Beasley———–Clark————Kljestan

—————-Mastroeni——————

Bornstein——-Marshall————Heydude

——————Guzan——————–

Subs: Perkins, Thorrington, Edu, Holden, Rogers, Rolfe

35. Ted says:

Justin: Bornstein and Hejduk in a 3-5-2? Be prepared to leak goals.

Why do people always try to push a 3-5-2 on the US team? It completely misuses two of our three best defenders (Onyewu and Steve0.

36. nate says:

All 4 of these forwards are hands down more deserving and hands down more capable of helping us in 2010 than Buddle.

37. MZ says:

Justin, your squad asumes that Ching won’t make the squad. That’s laughable because bradley loves him. I also bet we have a 4 man defense, we never go with 3 in the back.

38. zongzap says:

the ONLY think I can think of that could justify this roster is that BB will add Euro players at the end because they are in season and this is just to run around the mostly MLS guys

If that is not his plan then my regard for him has just gone even lower and I didn’t think that was possible

39. Jason says:

Well, typical BB, some good, some bad, some WTF.

First off Ives, I’d call Rico Clark, and maybe Bornstien veterans at this point.

The Good:
    Franklin, Marhsall, Rogers, Wynne, Thorrington, Holden, Goodson, Davies, Rolfe.

The Bad:
    Absence of: Harrington, Casey, Buddle, White, Beckerman, Borchers, Conrad, Torres and Orozco.

The inclusion of: Ching (don’t we know enough about him already).

WTF: Wingert (wouldn’t Borchers or Beckerman have been better from RSL), Cameron.

Seems like the competition for the backup CB spots is in earnest.

Overall BB grade: B.

40. metrostar 4 life says:

why why why. perkins, pickens, jewsbury, franklin, wingert, cameron, and carroll? is this a joke? Why is it that guys like Jeff Parke or Seth Stammler never get a chance to even get into camp?

41. Justin says:

I was just putting a 3-5-2 out there because–>no Onyewu, Boca, Dolo or Pearce. Gotta work with what we got.

42. Voodoo says:

Right, Nate. And you’re basing your illogic on what, exactly?

The fact that Buddle was the third highest goal-scorer in the MLS this last season (behind Cooper and Donovan) doesn’t count for anything?

I’m glad Rolfe, Cooper and Davies have been called up. But it’s a TRAINING CAMP! We all know what Ching can, and can’t do. He’s a known quantity. Buddle is not.

43. Justin says:

Oh I think Ching would most definately make the squad, but I feel Bradley is just calling him in to get some exercise before the Mexico friendly and also to get in a little conditioning before MLS season. I don’t think he will use him in the friendly though.

44. Justin says:

My mistake, I didn’t mean Mexico friendly. I know it is a WC qualifier.

45. Justin says:

Hey Ives, who do you think will be the starting 11? Between these players and most certainly some Euro call-ups (Adu, Edu, Beasley, Guzan etc….)

46. PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo says:

I don’t see any Euro’s making it over for the game on Jan 24th. Look at last years roster against Sweden all MLS’rs + the Norics:

USA: 18-Brad Guzan; 15-Drew Moor, 8-Eddie Robinson (16-Michael Parkhurst, 46) 12-Jimmy Conrad (7-Clarence Goodson, 46), 6-Ramiro Corrales; 10-Landon Donovan (capt.) (23-Jeremiah White, 81), 13-Ricardo Clark, 19-Maurice Edu, 22-Brad Davis (26-Sacha Kljestan, 72); 20-Taylor Twellman (14-Josmer Altidore, 46), 11-Pat Noonan (17-Chris Rolfe, 63)

Subs not used: 1-Steve Cronin

I don’t see why we would expect the Adu’s, Beez’s, Edu’s of the world this year. Maybe you add Hejduk and Mastro but don’t expect Guzan between the pipes.

47. RK says:

Nice to see DCU players get a break :(

48. Kevin Johnson says:

Where is Eddie Johnson? LMAO

49. Steponhens says:

I like the roster as a whole. Many young players with a nice blend of veterans. While I do not necessarily want some of the veterans as regulars in the MNT starting team they still higher quality than most of the young players and will be able to provide leadership.

The one player that really intrigues me is Geoff Cameron. I did not think he would be called into the camp but a player I have enjoyed watching since I first saw him this year. Great movement, good feet, attacking mentality, and a good defender. I would not push for him to be starting or even in the game day team right now, but is a player I feel could help the MNT in the future especially in the next world cup cycle. This camp is a great opportunity for him and others in similar situations to see the level they need to be at while gaining experience with the national team.

50. john in atl says:

Yuri Movsisyan would have been a good addition to this roster.

51. Jesse says:

anyone got a stream to the hull aston villa game?

52. Hopper says:

Chris Wingert? He’s terrible! What has he done to justify getting a call up? Do they like defenders who consistently give the ball away?

53. BBB says:

I vote for bringing headliners into camp, even for Friendlies.

USMNT games should be as much about marketing to non-soccerheads as developing talent. Soccer has NEVER been marketed well in this country and the people we need to attract to the Beautiful Game will only show up when a) they know about the games and b) there is a compelling reason to show up. US Soccer sucks at providing either and sending out B-teams ensures the would-be fans who show will watch one mediocre game and never come back.

Bottom line – every game, regardless of sport, needs some star power and the players above don’t provide it. I’d rather we played our best 11, crushed an opponent 6-0 and gave people something to talk about the next day…and, more importantly, a reason to come back.

My two cents,
    BBB

54. Ben says:

———-Cooper———–

Rogers—————Davies

——Kljestan–Holden—–

————-Clark———

Bornstein————-Wynne

——-Marshall–Gibbs—–

———–Perkins———

55. hater says:

i played against cameron enough in college to be worried if he ever caps for our national team.

56. Isaac says:

Actually Justin I did thanks for reminding me. My B.

there are players left out of course yes but some players BB has been keeping his eye on for a while. It took Buddle a little while to get in form and start scoring. Players called up like Jewsbury have been good BB just hasn’t really had the time or space to call them up. Now with a few players obligated to their clubs and a few players that have proved they shouldn’t be called up to the national team, He has space, and a whole year to test some of these. John Thorrington will be my Spain of the roster.

57. HuckerbyWannebe says:

No Colin Clark roaming down the left flank??

58. Isaac says:

Ben…..we’re not chelsea dude…..

59. jig says:

Could someone (A.S., scott47a) please explain the hate for Jewsbury? After watching him play all year from no further than 6 or 7 feet, I can tell you first hand that he’s as solid of a defensive midfielder as there is in MLS. He keeps the ball on the deck, tackles well, is as athletic as any other midfielder on this roster (excluding Rico), can play any outfield position you ask of him and ups his level in big moments.

Please, someone enlighten me.

60. bubba says:

It is not a bad group of guys brought in by Bob Bradley, let’s see what he makes of it. I’m glad to see a handful of Dynamo boys getting a look at, hopefully Holden and Cameron impress. Cameron was used in the back and in the midfield throughout this past MLS season so a bit surprised he got a call up so soon, but I can see why. Cameron can also benefit greatly from this experience for the Dynamo, so definitely happy about that.

61. scott47a says:

No hate for Jewsbury from me. Just surprised.

I have to disagree with your contention that he’s “as solid of a defensive midfielder as there is in MLS.”

But then again I’m not a Wiz season-ticket holder and don’t look at his play through Wizard-blue-colored glasses.

62. Isaac says:

Im with Jig.

plus….he helped Josh Wolff score….JOSH WOLFF! Thats gotta count for something.

JP

But really hes a fiery player and i have to wonder how he would do against a team like Switzerland.

63. RSLinIDAHO says:

______________Hesmer___________
    _Wynne_Franklin_Marshall_Wingert
    ______________Clark_____________
    _Gaven_____Kljestan_______Rodgers
    ________Davies___________________
    _________________Cooper__________

I’m fairly happy with the selections. (Except, where’s Kyle Beckerman?? Seriously.)

Congrats to Mr. Wingert!

64. Salt Laker says:

Chris Wingert was fantastic for Salt Lake all season, it is a well deserved call up. He has a fantastic first touch, crosses the ball well, and always seems to be in the right place at the right time. It’s nice to see BB notice some new defenders.

65. mike says:

Yura isn’t an American citizen, he can’t be called up.

Exclusions, Harrington and Conrad I thought would get call ups.

66. Modibo says:

“I wonder if the situation would have been better had this game been held in Sweden”

The weather would seem to make this an unlikely option, wouldn’t it?

Seriously, I’m glad to see Rolfe and Thorrington in the roster. Looking forward to a friggin’ game on Jan 24th.

67. A.S. says:

Jewsbury’s not a bad MLS player, but what’s the point? He’s not young, doesn’t have much upside, and has no chance at being an even moderately signficant part of the national team. And they’ve already got Clark and Carroll filling the same role that Jewsbury plays.

Again, not to say I dislike Jewsbury. I don’t.

68. b in cbus says:

as a crew fan it is a joke to see gaven get called into camp. why is he being rewarded with a call-up for another season of mediocre play?? On the other hand, i am happy for marshall, rogers and hesmer who really deserve it!

69. Nick23 says:

Is there a limit on how much players you can call? If not then more players should have been called such as (Coner Casey, Torrington, Jeremiah White, Lee Ngueyn, Benny Felihaber, Bobby Convey, I know I’m

missing some others.

Torres and Orozco where not called because the Mexican Interlingua starts this week. Go Pachuca, Chivas, San Luis.

70. Ted says:

@ RSLinIDAHO

God help us if lineup ever sees the field.

71. PanchoMiguelMoralesdeConejo says:

Dudes, it isn’t as if Sweden is going to have Ibrahimovic trotting out top. Its going to be a B/C team against a B/C team. It’s not an official FIFA date therefore no reason to expect clubs to release players. This has nothing to do with the USSF. This camp has traditionally been to take a look at fringe players from the MLS with an occasional Scandavian thrown in for good measure.

72. Heffe says:

Congrats to Wingert. I think it shows how much of a difference RSL’s defense was this year if Bradley took note and is calling up a defender. I would like to see Beckerman get more call ups as well. The guy is all over the place, and isn’t afraid to do the dirty work.

73. Scott C says:

I like the Jewsbury call up. The insertion of Jewsbury and Arnaud into the KC midfield totally turned their season around. Jewsbury’s got decent skill on the ball, a good shot and a lot of bite. I don’t see what Carroll or even Clark have on him. I like the Wingert callup as well; he’s got a good cross and good ball skill as well. Really looking forward to see the lineup that Bob puts out against Sweden…

74. milkshake of despair says:

My quesitons:

1) What does the inclusion of Kljestan, Wynne and Cooper say about their prospects for a January transfer to Euro??? I would think they need to be available to train with prospective Euro teams and meetings.

2) Maybe I’m not up to speed on his situation, but what about Twellman?

75. DS says:

why is matt pickens still being called in? i understood it last year when he was coming off a strong MLS season and looking for a team in europe, but at this point he hasn’t played professional soccer in over a year – why is he still on the radar?

Busch may have had a very good MLS season, but he’s got no business being on national team roster either.

76. strago says:

Perkins will likely get the nod in goal IMO.

Otherwise, good callups.

I would love to see more of Cooper/Davies

77. dfunyon75 says:

It would have been nice if Bradley called up Movsisyan instead of Ching. That guy was really impressive late last season.

78. James says:

Ted, Beckerman wont get a call up because he plays for RSL. I am surprised to see Wingert on there though.

79. Casey C. says:

Add Beckerman to the roster of “The People’s Selections” with Kenny Cooper and Jozy Altidore. Honestly, Beckerman always KILLS FCD, he had a wonderful year last year, what’s the hold up with him?

80. euroman says:

Just to be clear all players have to be released by their clubs (even MLS) to do this and all will miss some preseason training. ALL the euro players will make the final roster and play in the friendly against Sweden or the foriegn clubs will be pissed. BB isn’t in the business of pissing off foreign clubs for friendlies.

81. Adam says:

NO euro players will be in the final roster for SWE, save Scandinavian league players, the USA v SWE friendly is a B team v B team scenario….look ! last year’s game.

82. j says:

No Jeremiah White? Disappointing.

83. northzax says:

yes, last year’s january friendly was a B team affair. what ever could be the difference between this year and last year? couldn’t be the looming Mexico affair three weeks later, right?

if Bradley doesn’t use this game to see how a couple of other parts integrate with other starters, it’s a waste of time. why give a runout to a full B squad? you learn nothing, and gain nothing to practice against Mexico. it won’t be a full A squad, but some certainly will be. Camp is one thing, the game itself is something else entirely.

84. Will says:

I like a lot of these additions, but seriously, at this point adding Ricardo Clark is a waste. It’s obvious he will never be a fixture on the USMNT. Personally, I’d like to see Charlie Davies and Troy Perkins play a full 90. When is Jemal Johnson getting a callup?

85. John V says:

Bradley should have a look at Chris Konopka… keeper for Bohemians, champions of the Premier League of Ireland, which is not currently in season