Chelsea looked to be in complete control on Sunday in its London Derby showdown vs. Arsenal. Up a goal and cruising, the Blues look poised to win and hold on to first place in the EPL. At least until Robin Van Persie delivered a pair of great goals three minutes apart to give Arsenal the 2-1 victory at Stamford Bridge.
The win helped restore some faith in an Arsenal squad that had struggled badly in recent weeks with inconsinstent form and major injuries. The Gunners' victory, coupled with Aston Villa's draw with Fulham on Saturday, pulled Arsene Wenger's squad past Villa for fourth place in the EPL.
Manchester United closed to within five points of Chelsea with its Derby Day victory against Manchester City as Wayne Rooney's 100th goal for Man Utd proved the difference in the 1-0 win.
In Spain, Barcelona extended its lead to four points (and six points ahead of defending champion Real Madrid) with a convincing 3-0 win against Sevilla. Real Madrid's struggles continued with a loss to Getafe.
In Germany, both Bayern Munich and Hoffenheim registered victories, setting up a juicy showdown between first and second place in the Bundesliga on Friday.
Here is how the SBI European Club Top 25 performed this weekend:
(No. 2) Liverpool faces West Ham on Monday.
(3) Chelsea lost, 2-1, to (18) Arsenal on Sunday.
(6) Manchester United beat Manchester City, 1-0, on Sunday.
(15) Aston Villa tied Fulham, 0-0, on Saturday.
(1) Barcelona beat (14) Sevilla, 3-0, on Saturday.
(5) Real Madrid lost to Getafe, 3-1, on Saturday.
(7) Villarreal beat Recreativo Huelva, 2-1, on Sunday.
(16) Atletico Madrid beat Racing de Santander, 4-1, on Sunday.
(17) Valencia beat Real Betis, 3-2, on Sunday.
(4) Inter Milan beat (12) Napoli, 2-1, on Sunday.
(9) AC Milan lost to Palermo, 3-1, on Sunday.
(10) Juventus beat Reggina, 4-0, on Saturday.
(21) Lazio lost to Atalanta, 2-0, on Saturday.
(8) Bayern Munich beat Bayer Leverkusen, 2-0, on Saturday.
(13) TSG Hoffenheim beat Arminia Bielefeld, 3-0, on Saturday.
(11) Lyon tied Valenciennes, 0-0, on Saturday.
(20) Bordeaux tied Sochaux, 0-0, on Saturday.
(19) Olympiakos beat Panonios, 4-0, on Sunday.
(22) Ajax Amsterdam tied FC Utrecht, 1-1, on Sunday.
(23) Dinamo Kiev beat Dnipro, 2-1, on Sunday.
(24) Standard Liege tied KV Mechelen, 0-0, on Sunday.
(25) Anorthosis Famagusta beat Atromitos, 3-0, on Sunday.
Needless to say, we will see a shaking up of the Top 25, both at the top and at the bottom.
What was the most impressive performance of the weekend? How about the most disappointing?
Share your thoughts on this weekend's results in the comments section below.