Who should Bob Bradley start against Cuba?

Usacubalineup_isiphotoscom

Photo by ISIphotos.com

The U.S. men’s national team is in Washington D.C. this week preparing for Saturday’s CONCACAF World Cup qualifier against Cuba and while there are several young standouts in the 23-man camp, you still get the feeling that Bob Bradley will stick with the veterans at least one more time.

A win clinches a berth in the final round of World Cup qualifying with two games remaining in this qualifying round. That is two opportunities to see many of the young players that fans have been clamoring for.

Will Bradley wait, or will he incorporate some of the young guns on Saturday?

With that in mind, here is the lineup I think we will see on Saturday:

PROJECTED USA lineup vs. Cuba

———–Ching———-Dempsey—————

Beasley———————————-Donovan

————-Bradley—-Kljestan—————-

Pearce—–Bocanegra–Onyewu—-Cherundolo

——————–Howard———————-

I could definitely see Jozy Altidore getting a start, as well as Maurice Edu in central midfield, but I think we will see this starting XI again, with three young players getting looks as second-half subs.

Now it’s your turn. What lineup would you like to see Bradley trot out against the Cubans at RFK Stadium?

This entry was posted in U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

93 Responses to Who should Bob Bradley start against Cuba?

1. Randall says:

I’m fine with this, as long as BB brings out guys like Jozy, Torres, Davies or Freddy in the second half.

2. Art says:

I think we’ll probably see Ives’s suggested lineup. But I liked the formation from the latest game with Dempsey on the right wing and Donovan up top with Ching or Altidore.

Hopefully Torres will get his cap. I’d also like to see Davies in there for more then just 10minutes.

3. Joe says:

Aside from winning the matches, Bradley has one other must do for these two games:

CAP TIE TORRES

4. peter says:

——————-Altidore———————-

——————Dempsey (Adu)——————-

–Beasley (Torres)—Bradley—Kljestan (Edu)—-Landycakes

—Pearce——-Bocanegra—-Gooch——Cherundolo–

CAP Torres! Start Altidore! Put in Freddy!

5. adam says:

JOZY JOZY JOZY!

6. Andy in Atlanta says:

I think that is about right but here is what I really want 4-4.5-1.5

GK Howard

RB Cherundolo

CB Onyewu

CB Bocanegra

LB Pearce

LW Adu

DM Bradley (45) Edu (45)

AM Dempsey (45) Kljestan (45)

RM Donovan

F Jozy (45) Davies (45)

7. sean says:

I see bradley going with the lineup that ives has suggested. i’d look for us to be up at halftime, with altidore and torres definitely coming on. If bradley decides to not start ching, altidore will be up there, and davies will be on in he second for whoever is the second striker.

8. Lee says:

I’d like to see Jozy start and Davies come on for him. We don’t really need to see Ching.

Was nice to see Clint get the start on Sat, and he played well (did miss a nice chance with a header though).

9. Chris says:

please try to list the time and date of the game anytime you do an article like this.

10. kswiss says:

I think Ives has it right, even though I would like to see Altidore start, since I believe Ching’s best use is as a mid- to late-second half sub, coming in to help control a game that we are leading. I think Ives probably has the formation right, too, though I would personally like to see the 4-2-3-1 from the T&T game:

——————-Ching——————–

Beasley————–Donovan———Dempsey

————-Bradley—Kljestan————-

Pearce—–Bocanegra–Onyewu—-Cherundolo

——————–Howard———————-

11. JL says:

I would rather not see Beasley play, simply because I think he is still way off-form. The national team isn’t where he should be getting back to his standard of play. I think too many players on the nats get free passes on form. That said, the roster BB has picked, form would eliminate a lot of them from starting. Oh well.

12. Clint says:

—–Howard—–

Dolo–Onyewu–Bocanegra–Pearce

Edu–Bradley

Dempsey—Donovan—Beasley

—-Altidore—-

Bring Adu in for Dempsey and switch Donovan to right mid. Cap Torres and bring him in for beasley. I would like to see davies come in also…maybe in the 65th for altidore

13. Mike G says:

I really prefer Landon as a withdrawn striker. He looked a little lost out on the right the few times he’s been there. I think you could put Dempsey out on the right he is a bit of a defensive liability but against Cuba that should not be as big of an issue.

I would also rather see Edu paired with Bradley neither of them are seeing first team football right now and need to competitive reps to stay sharp. You loose Kljestan’s offensive ability but you have plenty of offensive mid options on the bench if you get bogged down.

14. Steve says:

Chris, if you don’t know the date and time of the game you have issues.

15. Machine says:

Ching is trash and a relic no speed no ball skills. Never want to see him again! Bring in Altidore instead!!

16. Aggies4Garcia says:

Altidore

Donovan———-Dempsey

Adu

Bradley–Edu

Pearce–Onyewu-Boca–Dolo

Howard

Time to try something different! This is a game that really needs to be used as a tryout for a new formation and new lineup.

17. A.S. says:

Start Torres, just in case he sees just how bad this team is during the first half and decides not to play in the second half.

Oh, and don’t start Michael Bradley (yeah, right, like that’ll ever happen).

18. Il Consigliere says:

I think Bradley plays one striker up top (probably Ching), with Dempsey or Landycakes withdrawn (the other would be out on the right).

19. brett says:

i could see starting the same Starting XI as T&T, but i think we should give Jozy the start… he’s been on form when he played over in spain… he’s dangerous and needs the games…. and i think he can bring just as much if not more then Chingy can…. start Jozy instead of Ching and then still bring in 3 young players…..

playing Cuba in cuba will be different then playing Cuba in DC….

20. Robert says:

I think I agree with everyone here. SBI’s lineup looks fine as long as we can give the AAs (Jozy and Freddy) a nod in the second half and cap Torres as well. Davies can start next Wed and maybe Guzan too. I’m looking forward to it. I’ll be at the game!

21. Reid says:

Did anyone see the #’s at the DC game this weekend (just read bruce’s page). I can’t wait to go to the game this weekend.

The 2 games for the price of 1 (chivas & US match) that i heard was going on is sick.

If there are 30-40k people there this saturday it will be a great turnout.

Ives I know there was rumbling about no special pricing for the chicago game (dont know if that was the truth or not), but USSF def consider it in the future for WCQ.

22. andrew says:

brian should not start, and kenny cooper should. enough said. everything else should stay the same as in the past 3 wins.

23. Aquaman says:

I know that Beasley isn’t as comfortable taking on defenders on when he’s playing on the right, but I’d rather see him over there and try Dempsey and Donovan in the middle as a withdrawn forward and an attacking midfielder. I’d take out Kljestan to make that happen and put Torres on the left. Whoever the target forward is, they would benefit from the runs of Donovan and Dempsey through the middle and the attack as a whole would benefit from Dempsey and Donovan working off each other in the center of the field.

24. Ryan says:

If that’s the lineup Bob rolls out I hope the crowd goes all Bad News Bears on us and starts chanting “LET THEM PLAY!” for the young guys.

25. Garrett says:

Why are we not playing a 4 – 2 – 3 – 1?

****Striker******

*AML – AMC – AMR*

*****DM – DM*****

****Back 4*******

Wouldn’t this include all our talent in one grouping?

1 striker, because we barely have enough options for that.

3 Attacking Mids… Beas, LD, Demps. Beasley used to this from SPL and Holland. LD would be #10 withdrawn striker, and Demps and him could rotate in this role.

Bradley could easily go with 2 holding-connector Mids in Bradley Jr. and (Insert DM here) from Kliest/Edu/etc.

Then the back 4, with Dolo liking to run (link upfield) and LB’s as well, this would be a great fit.

26. Garrett says:

Kswiss… nice post, didn’t read all the comments b4.

27. J spot says:

ok ok ok this is sweet.. I’ll be at this game and I can’t wait to see the younger and older guys.

my suggested starting line up

Ching-(Altidore)

donavon

DMB(Torres)-Sasha-lil bradley-deuce

Pear-boca-gooch-wynne

howard

I look to see a defensive sub come in for the third allowed in 60th min and look for torres to show up in the 75min on, Jozy comes on at half.

28. Tony in Quakeland says:

How about starting the kids (Josy, Freddy, Torres) and bringing in the vets in the second half if we need them?

And we won’t need them.

29. Jason says:

Kswiss – I like your line up.

30. Jacob says:

I know this won’t happen, atleast not yet but I’d like to see:

Josie–Landon

Beasley—-Adu—–Dempsey

Bradley

Pearce—-Boca—Gooch—Steve C.

Howard

31. EastLAChiva says:

Start Torres! Sacha, too!

32. alticooper says:

Does anyone know what is going on with Pearce at Rostock? He has only started one game and subbed 3 out of 7 total games… In the Bundesliga 2!! What the hell is going on? How is our starting left back not even able to start in the second division of Germany?

33. Yossarian says:

I think the last two games have indicated that Deuce is clearly better on the wing and Lando is clearly better in the middle.

I’d also like to see youngsters mixed in with each half, not just youngsters in the 2d half. I fell that would be a missed opportunity to evaluate how they work with the vets. I would put Jozy, Klejstan, Torres, and Califf in to start and Szetela, Adu, Davies, and Orozco in the 2d half.

If that’s too many to truly evaluate them with starters, you may cut that by one, having one rookie w/ each field unit, ie. one d-player, one midfielder, and one forward. That way you can easily see how they mesh w/ their unit.

34. BlueWhiteLion says:

I agree with MikeG, would prefer to see Landon as a withdrawn forward, but I know we have a solid RM. But dangit, Landon is such a HORSE at withdrawn forward. We need to put him there and find guys who can work with him there. He is phenomenal in that role. I don’t like Ching. Altidore may not be consistently better than Ching, but he has the upside, and we need to develop him NOW. I would put Edu in place of Kliejstan. His touches at the international level seem really lacking.

Overall, as coach I would put in who (at this point) would be my preferred starters (come WC time) and use this game against a “minnow” to let them ROCK. Ultimately they will need to prove themselves against competition, but if the players can rise to the occasion and show true KILLER instinct, a “lesser opponent” like Cuba could allow them to discover and showcase their skills and team play.

35. Will says:

Switch dempsey and donovan, and move sasha in front of bradley. That’s the lineup we’ll see.

36. BlueWhiteLion says:

edit: we DON’T have a solid RM

37. Angel says:

Come on guys, it is time for USA show another face and be more creative. I like to see a new formation and a new lineup like a 3 3 4 go for more offensive attack. Using new players like:

—— Altidore — Davis —–

———— Donovan ———-

Torres —————-Adu

———– Bradley ————

Pearce — Orozco — DeMerit — Califf

————Brad Guzan—————

I think this will be a good chance to show Mexico and other team that USA can have a second team and can’t be predictable. I will like BB to call up Casey Oconnor and Kenny Cooper for the next game. This team can be more quick and skill. I’m tired to see always same formation with same players

—————-Ching—————

Beasley———Donovan——-Dempsey

————-Bradley—Kljestan———–

Pearce—–Bocanegra–Onyewu—-Cherundolo

——————–Howard—————–

Please guys lets the future of the New USA Show up on this two games…

38. Raghu says:

Ives, I think is dead on with what we’ll see on Saturday.

JL – not wanting Beasley on the squad is ridiculous.

I’m assuming that Torres gets capped in the 2nd half for DMB or for Klestan – can’t wait to see him play.

Hoping Jozy gets some run. If BB plays a 4-4-2 it’s possible that Jozy gets some run subbing in for Dempsey or for Ching. He can run off of Ching as well as replace him as a target forward.

Doubtful that Adu/Jozy/Davies and Torres see the field. Hoping Torres is the first one in followed by Jozy. I won’t be surprised if Davies is the late sub with his pace on the counter attack while we are defending a lead

If Freddy gets in – I’m really interested in seeing him get more time actually playing WITH Lando, Beas and/or Dempsey.

I know this may sound crazy (and will never happen) but I’d love to see BB expirement with a 3-5-1 at some point which could accomodated Jozy, Beas, Adu, Lando, Dempsey and Bradley/Edu.

I know its unrealistic and probably not that smart to mess with the current strength of the team (Gooch and Boca in central defense)but getting the opportunity to see our most talented attackers get time to play off of each other would be really fun to see.

I’ll be at the game on Saturday – probably meeting at a bar downtown before the game. I’ll send out where our crew is gonna be pre-game if anyone is interested in toasting the Nats before heading to RFK.

39. Wispy says:

Yossarian — pretty sure we’re limited to 3 subs in a WCQ.

40. Tom P says:

Start Torres and get him capped! It doesn’t matter who else gets in unless that keeper from Norway isn’t yet capped. (ex DC guy- I always confuse Perkins and Pickens) If so start him too.

Who really cares who plays vs. such a weak team as Cuba at home?

If he starts all the “young ones” and they have a poor showing he’ll dismiss them in his head for tough matches. If they have a great showing Bradley will say to himself “yes-but it was against Cuba”. Either way they are screwed if he starts them in mass.

Just hope he puts a couple in to start and maybe one off the bench in the 2nd half. That’s the only way they will get a fair shake with group of players with some continuity.

41. Mingjai says:

Ives is probably right as far as what will like go down. As far as what should happen, I’d like to see a 4-2-3-1 something like this:

—————–Altidore——————

Beasley———–Donovan———–Dempsey

————-Edu—–Kljestan————-

Pearce—–Bocanegra–Onyewu—-Cherundolo

——————Howard——————–

or maybe even a 4-1-3-2 like this:

————Altidore—–Adu————-

Beasley———–Donovan———–Dempsey

——————–Edu——————–

Pearce—–Bocanegra–Onyewu—-Cherundolo

——————Howard——————

And of course, like everyone said, don’t forget to cap Torres and play some (more) youngsters in the second half.

42. cometopapa says:

What will we see (Ives has it)?

What would I like to see?

GK-Guzan

LB-Orozco

CB-Onyewu

CB-DeMerit

RB-Bradley (Surprise!)

LM-Torres

HM-Edu

RM-Szetela

AM-Adu

F-Altidore

F-Davies

43. rocky says:

I would love to see this:

———–Altidore——-Adu————–

——————Donovan——————

—-Torres———————Dempsey—–

——————Bradley——————

–Pearce——-Onyewu—–Boca——Dolo—

——————-Howard——————

44. Raghu says:

Mingjai – i like that 4-1-3-2 formation.

That could lead to some interesting combination soccer. And BB could use Michael Bradley or Edu based on matchup.

And based on matchup – he could go to a 3 back line and play both Edu and Bradley together in front of the 3 backs.

45. Nick I. says:

Your lineup is fine, I guess, Ives, but why Donovan on the right wing and Dempsey at forward? I know Dempsey isn’t a right mid, either, but he works better there than Donovan. If we’re gonna keep doing it, it needs to be Dempsey at right wing and Donovan at forward.

46. Chi Town's Finest says:

Come to papa has the worst lineup I have ever seen…. we might lose to Toronto FC with that lineup….. MORON

47. Jamie Z. says:

JL – Sure, Beasley isn’t in the best form, but who do you suppose could take his place? It’s not like we have a Joe Cole to put in at left mid in a pinch.

Angel – Are you really suggesting we leave Carlos Bocanegra out of the lineup for sake of Demerit? Boca is showing arguably the best and most consistent form of any American playing in Europe at the moment. He’s the captain! If Subotic were available, I could see calls for incorporating him into the lineup, but leaving Boca out of a qualifier doesn’t make any sense at all.

And Torres in left midfield? Califf at right back? This is a World Cup Qualifier, not a training ground scrimmage. I’m not sure Califf has ever played right back in his life — why in the world would anyone pick him over ‘Dolo, Wynne, or even Hey Dude? And I’d like to see Torres get a look. I want to see new blood as much as everyone else, but you don’t put a kid on his first call up straight into the starting eleven. Even Michael Bradley started with brief cameos.

I find Bob Bradley’s conservate approach as frustrating as anyone, but I’d definitely rather see a careful, methodical approach to our lineups than whimsical video game formations.

48. Jamie Z. says:

Okay, nevermind. cometopapa’s lineup makes Angel’s look pretty good.

I think we’re going to see Ives’ lineup with Donovan and Dempsey switched, and MAYBE one surprise somewhere if Mr. Bradley’s feeling nasty.

49. robin says:

give some minutes to torres so that he becomes cap-tied.

50. Raghu says:

Jamie Z – nice posts. That’s hysterical. And I couldn’t agree with you more.

51. roger arteaga says:

i would love to see szetela & torres!!!! put in the young guys!!!

52. TCompton says:

While I doubt that we’ll this line-up, this is what I would like for a squad with these players to end up playing.

———————Howard——————-

———————–Edu———————–

-Dempsey——–Bradley———Beasley–

———————-Adu———————–

—————————-Donovan————

————-Altidore—————————-

Defensive Analysis:

The * for Orozco is because I’m not sure who plays left back, but I know that Orozco likes to move forward, which is important in the 4-man back line.

If Marvell Wynne were on the roster, I’d probably have him on the right back in place of Cherundolo (I do not believe that Wynne has beaten Cherundolo for that position yet, but I like what Wynne brings to the table in terms of speed and creating attacking options… just not crosses). I haven’t seen enough of Pearce, DeMerit, or Califf to know where they stand in terms of playing time. As for Hejduk, if he’s still running like he is right now, I’d like to see him on the 2010 World Cup team as an experienced bench player. He’s becoming the new Cobi Jones, which is a nice option for a coach.

Midfield Analysis:

I like Edu a lot. He’s got a great soccer mind and physically imposing on the field. I wasn’t a fan of the way Nowak used him in the defense on his Olympic team, but given the players Nowak had to work with, he may have just been trying to put his best 11 on the field each time, and that Edu was one of the best defenders, even if it wasn’t Edu’s best position.

The last several games, we’ve seen Landon Donovan on the right side of midfield, which has worked OK, but I’d rather see Clint Dempsey man the right side of the field to allow Landon the freedom to attach. Clint’s quickness and flair is great for making space on the wings, as well has taking players on 1 v 1 and getting into the box. Plus, Dempsey holds the ball very well, allowing defenders like Cherundolo or Wynne ample time and space to make overlapping runs.

On the left, I haven’t seen anyone who has made a statement to move DeMarcus Beasley out of the first position. Beasley has had several poor games with the National Team recently, but there are few who would argue that when he’s on his game, he’s not one of the most dangerous players on the field. Plus, his chemistry with Donovan is better than anyone else on the field (although not nearly as strong as it used to be).

In the attacking option, I like Kljestan and Adu. However, I’m not convince of Adu’s defensive capabilities, so I’d prefer to see Adu to operate when there’s five men in midfield. I’m a fan of Kljestan mainly because of his composure, vision, and his ability to rotate pretty fluidly with the wingers or with the withdrawn forward.

When we play a five-man midfield, I’d like for Bradley to sit with Adu. Bradley’s a bit more capable defensively, but he’d still get the opportunity to push forward and attack.

Forward Analysis:

As mentioned earlier, I think that Donovan is at his best when he’s running directly at goal. I also think he’s is better suited to be a weapon and not a general. He hasn’t done anything to demonstrate that he can be a true captain on the field, and when he is the captain, his focus is not on scoring goals. I think that his season with the Galaxy is a good example of this analysis. Once Beckham took over the captaincy, Donovan started scoring goals. This is not a knock on him, but just an observation. It was a similar problem that I think plagued Henry toward the end of his Arsenal days.

With Altidore, the only way he’s going to become the Striker we all want him to become is to get him in there and playing. Strikers live and die on their confidence. He’s the best option we’ve got at this position, so let’s get him on the field.

53. drewski says:

Would Brian Ching please respect the game and retire from national team duty…

54. BlueWhiteLion says:

My head is swimming. Lots thrown out there. I agree with Jamie Z’s critiques, and I like some of T Comptons ideas–perhaps the 5 man midfield. As someone else suggested, it would be nice to see Szetela.

I think we will cap Torres.

55. eric says:

Goff’s got a nice chat with Michael Bradley and his current situation, check out this RE: interim manager Christian Ziege

Will your relationship with Ziege help your situation at the club?

“Ziege is the sporting director and everyone has a relationship with him. He is around every day, he sits on the bench at the games, he is out at training quite a bit. I think it will be a good thing for me because, at the end of the day, he was the one who really, really pushed hard to bring me to the club. I think he has confidence in me and he likes the qualities that I can bring to a team. So I am hopeful that, when I get back, there are good opportunities. We need to go on a big run and I hope to help turn things around.”

Hope it’s true…

56. Angel says:

Jamie Z.,

I just saying that is cuba, and we need to experimenting with new players of course thats not going to be the lineup up thru the whole Qualifying but is time to let the future player get to play and give the Veteran some kind of break and the mix the Vet. with the new players thats all.

57. Isaac says:

————-Donovan—Altidore—————

——————Kljestan——————-

—Beasley————————–Dempsey—

——————-Bradley——————–

—Pearce————————Cherundolo—

————Bocanegra—Onyewu—————-

This lineup will be pretty affective considering Cuba’s defense shouldn’t be TOO hard to breach. Kljestan is creative and will open things up for Donovan and Altidore. It’s really not much different from Ives/ the T&T game. Kljestan getting into the attack will open up Bradley and he’ll be able to make those great passes. Torres on for Beasley, Adu on for Donovan or Kljestan, and Edu on for Bradley. Davies could come on instead of Edu and play at the right wing position for Dempsey.All in all it’ll be a great night.

58. Julio says:

The Hell with it fellas, I say get all the young Bucks capped and than worry about the qualifying. We have 3 games won, how could it possibly go wrong!?!?!?

59. cometopapa says:

So Chi-Town, great name-calling. The equivalent of “oh yeh!” I refuse to enter into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent…

60. cometopapa says:

And all of you other girls out there – It’s Cuba for Pete’s sake!!! Let’s see if the kids can play. Stop being a bunch of whining p*ssies.

61. The AMT says:

What I’d like to see…

Howard

Dolo – Gooch – Boca – Pearce

Dempsey – Bradley (DM) – Torres (CAM) – Beasley

Donovan – Altidore

Subs: Kljestan for Beasley, Adu for Donovan, Edu for Bradley. If need be, follow the Kljestan insertion by shifting him to a second holding midfield role, move Torres out wide, and drop Adu into the midfield. Get a taste of some true 4-4-2 while also seeing how players fit into our bread-and-butter 4-2-3-1

62. cometopapa says:

Angel – No need to back off your line-up. Jamie-girl and the rest of those wearing skirts have offered nothing in return. I hear a lot of calls for Szetela, Torres, Edu, Orozco on this board so what’s the problem with these line-ups?

Give me some LEGITIMATE critique nad I would take you more seriously.

63. Chi Town's Finest says:

cometopapa…. please you want to have a battle of wits but you put the worst lineup anyone has ever seen together…. since your saying its just cuba, why not call up charles renken, cobi jones, bruce arena and i am sure your god at soccer so lets add you to our list…. or you could look in the mirror, realize you know nothing about soccer and go watch cartoons

64. Nordy says:

———–Cooper———-Cooper—————

Cooper———————————-Cooper

————-Cooper—-Cooper—————-

Cooper—–Cooper–Cooper—-Cooper

——————–Cooper———————-

65. cometopapa says:

Why not call up those guys – because they were not included in the list of 23 (duh).

And if you would have read Ives’ question (which was who would YOU like to see?) and read my post (please sonny go back, its on the previous page – do I need to draw you a map?) you would see that I said – Ives’ line-up is on the mark and I would like to see (my line-up).

Well, that is who I would like to see.

Now, go back down to Rush Street and bury your head in a bottle and lament over the Cubbies blowing it again and having Southsiders coached by a loudmouth doofus.

And by the way, do you have a minute?

Tell me everything you know.

66. Caleb says:

I love when people get on to tell/ask Ives whatelse he should/shouldn’t have put into articles. The man (and for this he is– THE MAN) spends so much time already on the great articles and pieces on this site informing countless soccer fans in the states without many other reliable sources on the world of soccer outside of say, MLS. I and I think we all feel this way would sincerely offer our thanks to you Ives, for this great site!

67. BlueWhiteLion says:

Nordy, but who comes on as sub?

68. ETucker says:

My starting 11 would probably be:

Dempsey-Ching

Beasley-Edu-Bradley-Donovan

Pearce-Gooch-Boca-Dolo

Once we secure qualification we can blood the younguns, but for now we should not take anything for granted. If one of these players was sorely out of form, I would say plug in Klejstan, but all are doing decent at club level

69. Jamie-girl says:

Angel,

I didn’t mean to single you out, personally. I agree that we need to incorporate some new blood into the team. In time, I’d love to see players like Davies, Adu, Altidore, and Torres making regular appearances. I’d even be happy to see Altidore start. I think Adu is integral to our immediate future as a footballing nation. I hope Torres gives Beasley some competition on the left flank. But I don’t think we should be reckless in bringing in our youngsters — just throw them into the lineup willy-nilly at the expense of team integrity and identity. Without a constructive and experienced framework to work within, our youngsters would likely struggle to find cohesion and be even less likely to succeed quickly.

I get impatient with Bradley’s slow motion approach, too, but that’s because (and why) I’m a supporter and not the coach. You’ve got to strike a balance with this type of thing or you’re just as likely to end up shooting yourself in the foot.

70. Chi Town's Finest says:

Cometopapa, by reading your writing, I am gonna guess your wearing a depends diaper write now…. Chi towns finest is the nickname for Kanye West…. since your old as hell… hes like the Nat King Cole of your generation…. have fun in the nursing home gramps… you know ZILCH about soccer

71. christian says:

It’s funny that some of you, ok, most of you are very misinformed about Torres.

Torres is NOT a LM in the same way that Donovan is NOT a RM.

Sure, he could play there and maybe contribute but he ain’t gonna shine the way he does for Pachuca playing out wide.

72. We will probably see the line-up Ives put out with possibly one exception. My guess is that Bob Bradley and Bruce Arena have a deal where Donovan will only get limited minutes so he can be on a red-eye back to LA for the Galaxy match.

73. Frankie Football says:

Anyone notice this from todays ESPN Mac Kanji interview?

emilio (PARSIPPANY,NJ): What things do you need to improve on the most? Any chances of playing for Senegal?

Macoumba Kandji: Well the things I need to improve the most are my left foot, which is getting better each year and learning my runs, which I can learn from coach and Juan Pablo and all the great players here. And there is definitley a chance to play for Senegal or the U.S. National team. Both are options and we will see what happens.

This Seems like a change in stance about playing for the US…He could look nice on the RW if his skills translate..

74. Britton says:

Altidore Dempsey

Donovan

Beasley Szetela

Bradley Klestan

Pearce—–Bocanegra–Onyewu—-Cherundolo

Howard

How Jozy isn’t starting is beyond me.

75. ben says:

Really, Ives et al? You think Sascha will get the call over Maurice Edu? I don’t buy it. Klestjan’s defensive skills are hugely lacking, and Bradley needs defensive cover in midfield to allow Donovan and Dempsey the offensive freedom they require to perform.

76. Angel says:

Frankie Football,

That sound very nice and I hope we get him to play for the USA, I can imagine now in the near future with Altidore, Kandji, Adu, Shea, Soumare WOW this is sound like music to my ears. I think in two more World cup we will be a strong team to beat.. U17 and U18 & U20 have very good players too that are coming up but like I said before we need to play them as soon as possible. Hopefully we can get more friendly games that we can cap all this young players (Look at Arsenal with young players the playing a beautiful Football)

77. Nick says:

———-Ching———–

Beasley– Dempsey– Donovan

—-Bradley– Kljestan—-

Pearce-Bocanegra-Onyewu-Cherundolo

———Howard———–

subs:

Edu – 60th minute for Kljestan

Altidore – 70th minute for Ching

Torres – 80th minute for Beasley

I think we’ll see a lot more of the young players in the next game, provided we beat cuba.

78. FKA says:

I quit watching the Nats until Kenny Cooper is called up. I’m not even a huge fan of his, but for pete’s sake he is scoring goals. Lets use our brain Bob Bradley.

79. Jags98 says:

Landycakes- becareful he only looks good if he produces an asst or goal. His defensive is horrible. When have you ever seen him pressure someone when he does not have an opportunity towards goal on a turnover. Never! Hit the weight room, get stuck in.

DMB- Agree with others, needs to get shape else where

Bradley- son or father, one of them needs to sit out. Take your pick?

Ching- thanks for all you have given us, take care now bye-bye

YoungBloods- Get them in now, let them threaten some positions, boost competition, they are ready, and so are we!

80. Travis says:

Im going to the game! :D

81. Matt says:

Here is what I think we’ll see:

GK: Howard

DF: (R-L) Cherundolo-Bocanegra-Onyewu-Pearce

MF: (R-L) Dempsey-Edu-Bradley-Beasley

FW: Ching-Donovan

Subs: Adu, Torres (make sure he gets on the field!), Szetela

I think Davies will get a chance against T & T, and Adu might even get a start. Bring Jozy off the bench (or start?) vs. T & T. I think the Cuba game is business and the T & T game a blend of getting experience and achieving a result.

82. Big Timer says:

Pretty much the same as against TnT. Ives you must be employing reverse psychology switching Donovan and Dempsey.

——Howard

Cher. Guch Boca Pearce

—–Edu Bradley

Dumpster Lando Beasley

Hawaii5-o

Subs: Adu, Torres, Jose

After the demolishing of Cuba 5-0,the Hybrid experiments will begin.

TNT will be:

——-Guzan

Wynne Boca Guch Pearce

—-Bradley Edu

—–Adu Torres

–Donovan Altidore

Subs: Szetela, Davies, DeMerrit

83. Monkey Boy says:

I agree with the few who would like to see some young guys get a chance against Cuba — weak team, while we’re playing at home. However, I doubt that BB will deviate from his traditional. He’s my suggestion for Cuba:

——–Howard——

dolo–Gooch—Orozco–Pearce

—–Edu—-Torres——–

Donovan—Adu—-Beasley

———-Altidore———–

Subs: Davies (Altidore), Sasha (Donovan), Szetela (Beasley — move Torres to LM and Szetela back with Edu)

If we beat Cuba as we should then for T&T:

let Donovan, Dolo, Gooch, Beasley, Howard and Edu return to their clubs. Replace with White, Wynne and Rodgers.

——–Guzan———

Wynne–Boca–Orozco–Pearce

——-Bradley—Szetela—

White—-Adu—-Torres

——-Altidore——–

Subs: Sasha (Adu), Rodgers (Bradley – move Torres back to work with Szetela), Demerit (Boca)

84. cometopapa says:

Hey Chi – Sorry, I had to run off to coach my undefeated traveling team last night. Thanks for the heads up on Kanye West – whoever he is (HA!) Hate hip-hop, love rock n’ roll…

And is must be sad that you sit in your mom’s basement, taping away on your little computer because you didn’t make your high school soccer team and thus weren’t at practice yesterday (or any day for that matter).

So sad…

Making you look silly is like shooting fish in a barrel so I will sign off now.

85. Chi Town's Finest says:

After you said coaching a traveling team, I will leave you alone… you must be big time to coach traveling rec and not club.

later old man

86. JT says:

Cometopapa – You have an incredibly inflated image of yourself. First you listed a lineup that moved one of the NT’s top defensive midfielders to right back without making any type of explanation other than “surprise”. Then you stated that the opponent was “only Cuba for Pete’s sake”. This is a Cuba side that the Americans struggled to beat 1-0 – they scored off of a defensive blunder, generated minimal scoring opportunities and required a class save late in the match from their keeper (the one that you decided to leave off of your lineup by the way) to avoid a deflating draw. Personally, with the poor displays of soccer that this side has shown in the last three matches, no opponent should be thought of as an easy win. But you didn’t stop there – you made a veiled attempt at humor by talking about baseball. And you apparently don’t know the meaning of the term “called up”, following your ill-conceived retort with “duh” as if you had just made the most clairvoyant statement of all time. In your “battle of wits”, you are not performing very well at all to this point. If you want LEGITIMATE criticism of your odd lineup, answer the question of Bradley at right back, the benching of the American’s only world class player in Howard, and the replacement of two proven attacking players in Donovan and Dempsey. Try to use something other than “I want to see the young guys”.

87. Chi Town's Finest says:

JT 100% chance he doesnt respond….. he has had the same lineup posted the last 2 US games and everytime he backs down from the argument…..plus hes like 100 years old… he might of died by now

88. Jacob says:

I’d like to point out the previous Jacob on the first page was not me, and I’m adding the A to differentiate, no offense to new Jacob.

I like what everyone else is saying, Altidore for Ching, everyone else looks fine, cap Torres, yada yada yada.

Something else I would like to see: Gooch bringing back the neck beard. He’s always looked imposing and menacing with his size, and the boxing tape has only helped, but with that beard, I would rather watch in standard than hd, it’s that scary.

89. GMO says:

Ives, too bad that lineup you posted does not have any forwards on it.

90. cometopapa says:

JT – Happy to respond to your post as it at least has some intelligence to it.

Lets start from the beginning – Ives’ question was “who would you like to see?” not “what line-up will win the game?”

For the 3rd time – this is who I would like to see. I never wrote that it was the greatest line-up in the world.

As far as your thoughts regarding Cuba, here are some facts – The Cuba game was played in Cuba, in the heat and rain, on a poorly light pitch with knee-high grass. This match will be played at RFK on a fast track, cooler weather and hopefully no rain. In front of a Pro-US crowd. All work in the USMNT’s favor.

Players – Howard is great, no argument but I don’t think we give up much playing Guzan.

Orozco needs to get out of the doghouse after the Olympics. Don’t see anything wrong with Gooch and DeMerit (DeMerit deserves a chance). Bradley at RB – Califf, no way. Hedjuk, been there done that. Wynne not called-up. Dolo is the obvious choice but I have a feeling something is going to happen to him. He has a history of injuries, he is small in stature and is not getting any younger. Why not take a look at Bradley (or someone like R. Clark, if you will) to play here. MB can mark opposing teams’ wingers and can get into the offense. We are weak on the right side.

Midfield – General consensus is that Torres has to be capped, end of story. Edu is my defensive midfilder. I just like him better than Bradley there. I do not buy into the 2 DM strategy. Szetela has played every minute for Brescia and I’d like to see what the coaching staff there sees in him. He might not play because of a reported groin problem.

I also want to see Adu and Altidore play together and after the Olympics and a good season in Europe, I want to see Davies as well.

No offense to Dempsey and Donovan – great players and will be in the first team in SA.

That’s it JT. Sorry you had to step up for Sport. Apparently, he can’t write anything but hate and offers nothing constructive to the debate.

And I’m out…

See you on the next blog.

91. OKC SOCCER FAN says:

Cometopapa….. i have to say you know nothing about soccer….. JT and Chi Towns Finest are right…. you have no Clue…. go ahead and try to use big words for an excuse either way your an DUMBA$$

92. Vince says:

——–Ching———-Donovan———-

Beasley———–Adu————-Dempsey

—————-Bradley—————–

Hejduk—–Bocanegra–Onyewu—-Cherundolo

—————–Howard—————–

93. Vince says:

Sorry to post back-to-back, but I am sicl of the US thinking we need to play a 4-5-1. It’s like we are conceding to play defensive just because Arena decided to use it in the world cup. Did it work there?