New MLS Cup trophy unveiled

Mls_cup_trophy

Major League Soccer/Tiffany

Major League Soccer unveiled its new MLS Cup trophy at a ceremony in New York City on Wednesday morning. The Tiffany-designed trophy has been named in honor of Los Angeles Galaxy owner Phil Anschutz and will be presented to the winner of MLS Cup on Nov. 23.

Here’s a more detailed description of the trophy provided by MLS:

The Philip F. Anschutz championship trophy is 24″ tall with an additional seamless base of 4 5/8″. The trophy features fluid and dynamic handles that include 11 facets on the front and back, symbolizing the 22 players that participate in a soccer match. The gold star represents the championship club, which often incorporates a star into its team crest for each MLS Cup title it wins.  The new trophy inherits select design elements from the previous two trophies, thereby honoring the League’s history while moving forward. The bottom of the Philip F. Anschutz trophy features a map of North America, with a star identifying the location of each MLS market.

What do you think of the new design? Love it it? Like it? Hate it? Share your thoughts below.

This entry was posted in Major League Soccer. Bookmark the permalink.

74 Responses to New MLS Cup trophy unveiled

1. thumpjosh says:

it’s a nice cup. i like it. maybe they could change the name though.

2. lukedq says:

it’s extremely well designed. Of course coming from Tiffany’s it probably cost someone a DP slot; maybe Beckham can offer up some money to help pay for it.

3. Dave says:

it’s actually a cup now, so that’s a plus

4. Blake says:

It’s a gorgeous trophy, but why’d they name it the Philip Anschutz trophy?

I mean, unless he’s the one who footed the bill, which is quite possible.

5. Postmaster says:

“maybe Beckham can offer up some money to help pay for it”

Given the team in LA, that’s about the only way he’d be involved with this cup.

6. Super Metro says:

Nice and Classy! Beautiful indeed

7. Dannyc58 says:

Love it.

8. EdTheRed says:

Then I said,

“What about the trophy from Tiffany’s?”

She said, “I think, it’s a decent idea,

And as I recall, I think, we both kinda liked it,”

And I said, “well it doesn’t completely suck.”

9. Dannyc58 says:

Ives, do you know if its going to be “Stanley Cup” like and they write the champs on each year and its only 1 that continuously changes hands?

10. arkjayback says:

The trophy is definitely beautiful, I don’t think anyone can argue against that. The star at the top also looks pretty cool. I think it would be good marketing for the league that any time there is talk about the MLS Cup or the playoffs, that this trophy is shown.

But I would like to know why they named it after Anschutz though.

11. Steph says:

Now that we have a new trophy … MLS needs to change the stupid Logo…Its a very cheap logo and they need to update the Logo ….

I would have been bright of MLS not only to unveil the Trophy – maybe reveal a New Logo at the same time … it would have been bright of them to do it at the same time .. but this is MLS … One Step at a time

12. adam says:

I dont know what it is, but the handles are PISSING ME OFF!!!!

13. CACuzcatlan says:

Its an actual cup!

14. Jason says:

haha nice played ed

that’s a sexy trophy/cup. a side by side comparison would be nice. had to look up the old one to remember what it looked like.

name of it is absolute shite. how do you pronounce it ?

15. Mikemike says:

Adam-

I agree. Those handles look like they were an after thought. Minus the handles, I think it looks pretty sweet.

-Mike

16. Kyle says:

They named it the “Philip Anschutz trophy” becasue they planned on giving it to him and the LA galxy this year. Because the galaxy did not make the playoffs, MLS is trying to fudge some rules so that LA can still win the title. They will be presenting a “double or nothing” game Nov 24th pittting the play-off winner against an LA Galaxy consisting of the World’s best XI.

17. Ted says:

No mention that they changed the name from the Rothenberg trophy?

18. Elliott says:

That’s going to look great in the Crew’s Front Office.

19. thomas says:

I didn’t realize there have been two previous cups. Can someone post some pics so we can do a side by side comparison?

-Tom

PS: Of course nothing can touch the Stanley Cup…the greatest trophy in all of sports.

20. Sayerville FC says:

Aside from the fact that it looks MUCH better than the previous two versions of the MLS Cup, I love the fact that it honors Phil Anscutz over Alan Rothenburg.

No disrespect to Rothenburg, who did a lot for American soccer, but St. Phil did more and deserves to have the trophy for being MLS Champion named in his honor.

(And with the way LA has been lately, if he sells off Houston it’ll be the closest he gets to MLS Cup! Buh-dum-bump. Thank you, I’ll be here all week. Please remember to tip your waitresses and bartenders.)

21. Eric K says:

Well, Rich Uncle Phil did foot the bill for half the league in its formative years. He had, and has, the deep pockets to be patient and let all this grow. I can’t think of anyone else who’s been a bigger contributor to MLS so far.

22. Bill says:

I’m curious why the change…original mls cup then alan i rothenburg NFL-oblisque..now this (which you’re right..a bit like UEFA stylings).

Seems unnecessary to change it every few years – or is that normal?

23. Richard says:

Remember the First MLS Trophy, that bronze soccer ball with handles

24. angler23 says:

Eric K is right, without vision and support of guys like Phil Anschutz and Lamar Hunt we wouldn’t have MLS in 2008.

25. Steve says:

It’s an improvement, but it’s too busy. IMHO, trophies should only have 1 hue of medal, and I don’t like the odd rainbow handles.

26. David says:

sweet. finally MLS’s trophy doesn’t like like the NFL/NBA trophy.

27. Bently says:

Wow – this trophy is really nice. How did Garber and the suits miss their chance to screw this one up?

Does it come in a giant baby blue box?

28. NYFC says:

Needs more cowbell.

29. Evan says:

That thing isn’t even fit for a recycling bin.

30. Stephen Kohls says:

The photo here doesn’t show it, but the cup is a good size. Definitely an improvement.

31. kj says:

I like it on its own, but I don’t like that they’ve changed it *again*. That and naming it after Anschutz.

32. brian says:

typical MLS blather: a star representing each MLS *market*

not city, not town, but market. That’s all the league ever thinks about. they might as well be selling widgets.

33. Str8Red says:

What, ANOTHER design? Third in 13 years?? Way to promote some tradition, guys.

Anybody contact Alan Rothenberg for a comment on the record?

34. Aljarov says:

Why does MLS feel compelled to change the trophy every 5 years or less? What’s the point in that? Not much tradition in it if it keeps changing…

35. kco says:

Philip F. Anschutz Trophy!? WTF!?

First Maradonna, now this. Suddenly Halloween doesn’t seem so scary anymore.

On that note, does anyone else find it ironic that it’s namesake is the most likely NEVER to hold this trophy?

36. Tim says:

It’s about time! The cup finally matches it’s name.

37. Ben says:

Well, it’s a cup, so that’s cool. It is a little strange that they keep redesigning it, but then again, even the World Cup trophy has been redesigned several times, and it’s not even a cup, so maybe MLS is on the right track.

38. Ryan says:

Terrible. How many other sports/leagues (NFL, NBA, EPL, UEFA, FIFA, etc) have a two toned (colored) trophy?

39. Tim K says:

FINALLY A CUP!!! but the handles are weird!! Maybe it will take time for me to adjust but its better than the previous one!!!!

40. Brian says:

Here is a link to the old one…I would say the new one is definitely better but hopefully this one is in place for more than 5 years…

link to web.mlsnet.com

41. sj quakes fan says:

it shoulda been the lamarr hunt cup, not named for some0one who ripped a franchise away from a great market like san jose and owns the worst soccer team in history, the LA fallacy

42. ricecloudnine says:

So, are they going to add a star to the map next year for Seattle and then a year later for Philly? Or or they already on there?

43. Robert says:

I’m pretty sure that Lamar Hunt already has a tournament and trophy named after him… Regardless of which team his company owns now, Phil Anschutz has kept MLS afoot even through bad years. Cheers to him and the new MLS Cup trophy.

44. jman81 says:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have always hated the mls cup trophy… it looks like something you’d receive at an MTV awards show. This looks much better and dignified.

45. Str8Red says:

For all those looking for comparisons of the cups, have a look at DC’s trophy case:

link to web.mlsnet.com

46. Louis says:

How do you put out a new trophy without decorating it with golden balls

47. Alexi Lalas says:

Someday they will name a trophy after me. Kind of like Dr. Hook getting on the cover of Rolling Stone.

***pffffffpt***

48. Ralph says:

Wow. That’s almost as hideous as the level of play in the MLS.

49. Dan says:

I like the new physical trophy, it’s a big upgrade. But the renaming is a travesty. Alan Rothenberg is the reason MLS exists today. Uncle Phil on the other hand has been an underhanded money grubber who has bent the rules to serve his superclub, moved San Jose’s team for no reason, and basically turned MLS into his own toy. MLS has survived despite him, not because of him.

50. Fumar says:

It is nice that ne have a cup for the MLS Cup. That I agree with.

51. Scoof says:

I like it. maybe this one will stick around longer than a few years.

As excited as players get when they win, it’s surprising this doesn’t happen more often: link to youtube.com

52. Beckster says:

Ives…new is better than old but there is a lot of football action this afternoon with a lot of Americans potentially in the mix…mayb we could focus on that rather than some old trophy?

53. Go says:

No matter how pretty they make the MLS Cup Trophy, it will never be worth the recycled Aluminum cans its made out of. The MLS cup = WORTHLESS

54. Matt in SF says:

The Rothenberg trophy was pretty embarassing. At least this one doesn’t look like a big wang. (NTTAWWT)

I think fixing some of the poor branding and design decisions that MLS made in the early years will go a long way towards making MLS a respectable brand in the future.

55. Justice says:

I don’t mind it at all. I think it’s great and if they don’t end up updating the d-a-m-n thing every four or five years it can really grow into itself. so i’m happy with it.

56. KingSnake says:

They might be in the mix, but they need to climb the ladder.

57. Justice says:

scratch that, one upgrade- take those handles and attach em to the side. fa cup style. done and done.

58. Heffe says:

Couldn’t find a better name???

59. Flyingoose says:

Gee, I wonder how much money Phil had to pay to get that named after him…

60. jloome says:

Yeah, aside from being the one-time savior of MLS, Anschutz is also a right-wing wack job who wants creationism funded in public schools.

61. SonicDeathMonkey says:

Some of you really need to grow up. If it wasn’t for Phillip Anschutz, we don’t have a league….period. As for the trophy itself, i’m just glad it no longer looks like a…..well, you know.

62. Sandro says:

I think this cup is much better than the old one. But I think MLS should stay with this cup for sometime as to build history similar to the Stanley cup or the world cup.

63. I love the cup. That is a very beautiful trophy, and possibly one of the best in pro sports.

However, I am infuriated that they decided to name it after Anschutz. Of all the people in soccer to name it after, he is not it. I can think of two people worthy of having their name on that trophy: Alan I. Rothenberg or Lamar Hunt. He may have owned a lot of teams in the league, but that doesn’t make him trophy worthy (I looked him up on Wikipedia, and there isn’t really anything about his impact on U.S. soccer).

At the very least, use both of my options and make it the RothenHunt Trophy.

Rothenberg, I am so sorry you got bumped aside.

64. kswiss says:

I can’t really figure out those handles. They just don’t seem to fit in to me. Who knows, though, maybe they will grow on me.

Besides that, I like it, especially the soccer ball coming out of the base, suggesting the previous trophy.

I’ll give it a B+/A-.

65. Matt says:

Nice cup but isn’t the MLS logo god-awful.

66. Jason says:

Not only is the MLS logo awful, but so the US Soccer logo. Seriously, what’s with USA and soccer balls flying or being kicked? They both remind of the early 90’s. Time to redo them.

67. Niceee says:

Very nice trophy I think except that it has the MLS “foot and ball” logo on it. I’m not a big fan of that logo, but now it appears I am stuck with it at least for as long as they use this trophy.

68. Beckster says:

Loved Tony Kornheiser’s quip on PTI that it looks like a blender – and it does at the right distance!

69. brian says:

i could be completely wrong but is that just a computer rendering of what its going to look like

and maybe why the handles look a bit weird

70. rfthjnna says:

good thing rsl will be the first ones to hold this baby up.

71. I don’t like it. It looks very cheap though it was designed by Tiffany. The current FIFA World Cup is the best designed trophy ever.

72. SC St. Louis Royale says:

Nice cup, way better than the NFL/NBA’ish former cup. This new cup would realy look nice in Blanco’s hands, haha.

Maybe in about 30 years the’ll call it the “Landon Donovan Cup” (for me the greatest american soccer player ever, just like in Holland you have the “johan cruijff schaal”. I hope they change the supporters shield too in a real shield.

73. Bonji says:

Glad to see it is actually a cup now. I like it.