Let the Valencia fire sale begin

David_villa_1_ap

Remember that whole "We’re not selling our best players" stuff from Valencia following Euro 2008? Well, you can scrap that.

The Spanish club is in financial trouble and will have to sell its top players, which likely means that striker David Villa and midfielder David Silva are now for sale.

Let the bidding begin.

So where might Villa and Silva wind up? I can see Chelsea wind up with Villa, assuming its $100 gazillion transfer bid for Kaka isn’t true. As for Silva, the skillful young standout had been linked with Liverpool, at least before Liverpool realize it doesn’t have money to spend.

Where would you like to see Villa and Silva go? Share your thoughts below.

This entry was posted in European Soccer. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Let the Valencia fire sale begin

1. Freddy says:

He didn’t have the best season with Valencia, but I think Hildebrand is a top class Goalkeeper. I’d like to see him leave and end up in a bigger club.

2. Ted says:

I’d like to see both at Liverpool, with Pennant and Voronin moving out, but we don’t have money. Hopefully the Barry deal gets done and possibly Keane but we probably can’t afford both.

3. kyle says:

I hope Arsenal sells Adebayor and somehow gets Villa. Silva is good but nowhere near the level of Villa. I could see him going to Madrid.

4. Brant says:

I wish Newcastle would end up with either/or but I have a feeling that either the big 4 in England will snag them, or one of the Milans, or Real/Barca – basically, the usual suspects. I just don’t see one of them going to Schalke or Fiorentina or Aston Villa or PSG or a similar club.

5. emilio says:

Supposedly Villa would only consider a transfer to another spanish club, he doesnt want to leave Spain.

6. Michael F. says:

Would like to see both go to RBNY.

7. Michael F. says:

Ives, you never emailed me back. What’s the deal with Mathis? Where will he end up and why are the RB not pursuing him?

8. tedhill says:

This could be a real break for Chelsea. They need a striker to go along with their 1579324 midfielders, even more so now that Drogba looks to be gone.

9. jdawg says:

If Ronaldo leaves and/or the Berbatov transfer falls though, United could be interested in Villa, although he isn’t the traditional no. 9 United wants/needs.

10. john in atl says:

Villa to Barca, Silva to Atl Mad, Hildebrand to Bayern Munich. Let the rich get richer, and let Valencia get back down to earth.

11. Pete says:

Umm…what about Joaquin?

12. sean says:

Both players would fit the Arsenal or Liverpool profiles more than Chelsea. I also know that Villa has stated that he would like to play for Arsenal, and imagining him up top with Torres at Liverpool would strike fear into the entire EPL.

13. Greg says:

Ives,

What are you hearing about Ortega leaving River for Dallas? Its been all over the local news here in Buenos Aires today.

14. kpugs says:

David Villa is nasty…I don’t care so much where he ends up as long as it isn’t Liverpool, Arsenal, or Chelski.

15. Luis says:

I have to agree with Ted, I would like to see both end up at Liiverpool, and maybe they can start to play a more attractive brand of football.

Failing that, the Seattle Sounders are not in financial trouble and may be interested :)

16. Collin says:

I’m with Ted: I’d love to see Silva end up at Liverpool but I think we’d need to sell Pennant and a few others to raise the funds.

It’d be GREAT if we’d scrap the Barry deal instead and use that “money” that we have to buy Silva.

Whoever lands Villa is getting a truly high class player. jdawg is right, though. He doesn’t fit into what Man U needs. He’s too much like Rooney/Tevez. They need someone like Berbatov or (gasp!) Drogba.

17. Coach says:

Villa for Spurs!

18. Billy says:

Right on Coach…Villa to Spurs! Especially if Berbs ends up going to manure.

19. Jerry says:

BARCA,BARCA,BARCA, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Victor says:

Villa should go to Juve. I was reading that Trezeguet wants to go play at Barca now, so sell him and buy Villa.

21. Bobo says:

Real Madrid is currently embroiled in the Cristiano Ronaldo saga, so I’ll bet that Valencia would have already sold Villa before Madrid realize what a fool’s errand they’ve initiated.

IMO Villa will end up at Barcelona.

22. Jay Dubya says:

To the guy wondering about Mathis, I can answer that question without any contacts with the Red Bulls front office: the guy has a bad reputation and a history of souring any clubhouse he shows up in.

On top of that, he’s old & slow, and RBNY has plenty of old and slow on the payroll already.

23. RK says:

Valencia has really blown it. Such a good club that rose to prominence recently, only to self-destruct last season, and it is going to cost their future.

24. Dylan says:

I would love to see Toon pick one of them up, preferably Silva.

25. Dylan says:

I would love to see Toon pick one of them up, preferably Silva.

26. cam says:

hell yes villa to spurs, hed be the perfect replacement for robbie keane. hes more expensive than arshavin, but you get what you pay for.

27. Luis Colon says:

Hey Ives….how about Villa to Spurs?! With the constant rumors of Keane’s move to Liverpool and the ongoing saga that is Berbatov to Man U the spurs need a proven striker. Bent had a bad season so who knows how his form will be. With the addition of Giovanni who was a player in La Liga (when given a spot) and the likes of Villa the Spurs can be scary. Again, it all depends on Keane and Berbatov’s possible moves. COME ON YOU SPURS! Top 5 this year!