Could Subotic be the next to pass on USA?

Neven_subotic_ap

First there was Giuseppe Rossi. Then there was Edgar Castillo. Could Neven Subotic be the next player eligible for the U.S. national team to pass up the USA for another country?

As I told you a while back, Subotic wasn’t planning to address his future and national team decision until later this year at the earliest. ESPN colleague Jeff Carlisle secured an interview with Subotic and delivered a very interesting story on him and his potential decision, which Subotic says now won’t be made until after the 2008/2009 Bundesliga season.

"Right now, with my move to Dortmund, it looks like I will first make any kind of decision regarding national teams after my first season here," Subotic told ESPN.com. "It’s already tough enough to fight for a starting spot here, and I don’t need any extra baggage at this early point in my career."

That’s the part that is easy to forget about Subotic. He is still just 19 (and won’t be 20 until December). It’s easier to get caught up in the fact that he’s a 6-foot-4 center back who just made a $5.4 million move to German Bundesliga force Borussia Dortmund.

If you read the ESPN.com story you can’t help but feel as if Subotic is waiting to see what comes from his potential eligibility for Germany. As i wrote a few months back, Subotic could wind up gaining eligibility for Germany based on the nine years he spent living in Germany before moving to the United States. You can rest assured that lawyers are working on this case as we speak and the Germany Federation would be foolish not to be working on his behalf to help secure his services.

In fairness to Subotic, you have a player with strong ties to Serbia who also lived in Germany for a longer time than he lived in the United States. It can’t be an easy decision and he must surely appreciate the role the United States played in his development as a player. Consider he has until his 21st birthday to make a final decision, you can’t really blame him if he wants to take his time.

For now we are left with the question. Will Subotic play for the United States? It’s a question that’s been asked for a while now, and it looks like we will have to wait another year to find out.

What do you think about the Subotic situation? What do you think he will do? Share your thoughts below.

This entry was posted in Americans Abroad, European Soccer, U.S. Men's National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

84 Responses to Could Subotic be the next to pass on USA?

1. jrnail23 says:

In any case, Thomas Rongen ought to be shot for his handling of this kid. It sounds like the kid was ready to commit to the USA before Rongen publicly embarrassed him.

2. Josh says:

Absolutely agree jrnail. He was shown up by a coach, and as a player that hurts the pride. No kid deserves to be talked about publicly like Rongen did to him. I think he is now saying, look I wasn’t good enough for you then, you slapped me in the face and now I have options. USA needs to do some type of apology and work to build back his trust.

3. JC says:

Exactly, if anyone is to blame for Subotic possibly not playing for the US, it would have to be Rongen. Also Subotic doesn’t seem to sugarcoat his feelings, especially when he states that Rongen had some “discouraging and false” things to say about him.

4. 4now says:

This is much more critical than Rossi. And BB and USSoccer should make this a top priority. Not securing a commitment would mark a major, major blunder for the federation.

5. andy b. says:

jrnail23–

I concur. That’s definitely the sense you get from the interview, and it makes my head want to explode. What I don’t get is why Rongen would do that in the first place. I can’t help but believe there MUST be some sort of backstory we’re not getting publicly. Whatever it is, I hope Rongen is prepared to do some very earnest mea culpas and full-on butt kissing.

6. Dominghosa says:

jrnail23′s comment above is the exact response I thought would happen after reading that Subotic story.

Despite Rongen’s outstanding ability to coach and meld players into an exciting system that works on the field, he’s going to get blasted because of what happened with Neven Subotic.

I’m not going to back Rongen’s decision of leaving Subotic off the team. No way in this side of hell.

He picked 2-3 other defenders who were debacles over Subotic, who looks to be a burgeoning star.

It’s just too bad one pretty big mistake will make one pretty darn good coach a lamb for the slaughter.

Here’s hoping Neven chooses the stars and stripes.

7. bob says:

Two, play for Germany, see very little play time and most likely never play in a WC.(not that germany won’t make it, but they have a pool of talent.)

Play for the US. Get lots of play time and will play in a WC.

Seem like a no brainer for me.

Same with Rossi, he won’t ever make the Itailian natioinal team, and if he does he won’t start as often as if he was on the US team.

8. Dominghosa says:

Hackworth seems to still have a good relationship with Neven. It’s too bad he feels badly burned by Rongen — and really, who wouldn’t?. Because Rongen has the type of coaching mind and skills that could really help US Soccer and the USMNT, now and in the future. He will likely get promoted up the system soon. And I don’t think Neven would ever want to play for Rongen.

9. Original Aaron says:

Jrnail23- although shooting him may be a bit much, I agree with your sentiment regarding Rongen. I think US Soccer needs to take the soft-sell approach with this kid. Be there to offer him support when he needs it. Send him birthday and holiday cards so he knows he is important to the USA. But don’t try to pressure him into making a decision. I think come WC2010, he will want to be playing, and will play for whatever country makes him feel the most welcome (assuming all other things being equal). However, if by 2010 he could see greatly increased playing time for one country over another, he will probably go in that direction (presumably, he would have the best chance of starting if he chooses the US). That being the case, I would have to say that the US has the edge- but only if they spend the next 1.5 years making Neven feel valued and important. Don’t drop the ball on this one Sunil!

10. What exactly happened between Rongen and Subotic? I’m a bit out of the loop on this one.

11. Reid says:

good points bob, also with people that don’t know Rongen’s track record will see this and want him fired. Everyone makes mistakes, sometimes it bites you in the ass sometimes it doesn’t.

12. timpramas says:

What Rongen said about Subotic was pretty mild. Subotic needs to get over it. US Soccer doesn’t need to beg anyone to play for the US. He will decide, in time, what he wants to do and if he decides to play for another country, best wishes to him.

13. Betinho says:

Nobody else thinks Subotic is being a baby? Get over it. What happens when his development plateaus or he pulls a Feilhaber and his head gets too big? How’s he going to react to critism then? Time to grow up kid.

14. Johnny says:

Can you imagine how good the USMNT would be right now if these 3 players were on the team?

15. Thom says:

He owes the U.S. nothing nor does Rossi in terms of soccer. As much as I would like them both to play for us we live in a world where borders become more gray and obscure every day. These 2 kids owe their allegiance to their families and those who support them day in, day out and not to a nations borders.

There is no one to blame here. Maybe Rongen stuck his foot in it but if that is the deal breaker then the kid doesn’t have thick enough skin for international football. I mean- imagine what the Serbian or German press will do to him after 2 consecutive bad games in key qualification stage or tournament?

Besides- guys remember there are 2 sides to this Rongen story and we are only hearing one half.

I get tired of all the high mighty nationalism posted on this board every time Ives mentions Rossi’s name or a situation like this arises. We have plenty of U.S. Nationals who could be playing for other countries so let’s try not to be so damm hypocritical. If a player is really good he goes with the best quality choice of country and if he is a loyal servant type he goes where they will have him.

16. h4 says:

You need to consider how hard it is to play for the U.S. from Europe. Flying to Atlanta, then to Guatemala City, then a bus ride to play at 9,000 feet. Instead, he could take a short flight to Serbia for home matches.

17. Ted says:

I’m just saying… Ofori Sarkodi, Tim Ward and Julian Valentin made the roster over Subotic. Tim Ward fellas. Tim Ward.

18. Ted says:

Posted by:Johnny | July 31, 2008 at 02:25 PM

Add those three to our Olympic team, along with Spector, and take a look at that team on paper.

19. Jason says:

I highly doubt he’ll pick USA. Based on the interview, it appears he has very little emotional attachment to America (which I’m not surprised). Even though he was spotted by Americans and spent some years here, I don’t get the sense that he has ever called himself an American at any point of his life. If that is the case, only a guaranteed spot in the starting XI would probably secure his allegiance.

Overall, I don’t blame Rossi or Castillo for choosing other countries either. From a purely soccer perspective, suiting up for either Mexico or Italy which have longer histories and prestige than America would be far more attractive. I’d rather have guys like Freddy Adu who desperately want to make it on our team than a player with a wealth of talent who’s desire to wear Red White and Blue is somewhat divided.

20. EssEff says:

It does sound like Rongen made a mis-step, but who cares if he doesn’t want to play for the US. I think down the line there will be more and more of these talented players who are eligible who will want to play for the US. I must say, though, that the kid sounds pretty mature in the interview. I wish I were as mature when I was 19!

21. Mighty says:

First the kid is good, but we are talking like he is going to be the next Maldini. If we loose him it wont hurt as much as how we lost Rossie.

What hurts most is that these kids are not going to be superstars in their chosen national teams. If they would of stuck with us, they would of have the opportunity to go increase their international careers

Oh well…………

Lets focus on the kids we got home, so this dose not happen again.

22. 4now says:

great points h4 and Ted.

thom, dunno if some of the sentiment is nationalism run rampant. i think this is just, at least for me, fandom. I support the nats – just because. And in the pomo world we live in where national identities and boundaries are so blurred, then federations need to make recruitment a top priority. and as for detesting rossi, I don’t think its as black and white as you think – it doesn’t have to do with nationalism, just being a fan. And its fun to demonize someone like rossi when you are a fan. Its good to have villains, plain and simple.

23. Ok…no one really answered the question, what did Rongen do to humiliate him?

24. inkedAG says:

Add me to the list of people who thinks Rongen messed up here.

However, at the end of the day, it’s Neven Subotic’s decision to make. Why should one let a coach, who sucked so badly as an MLS coach, decide one’s future? I’m fine with any decision the kid makes because he should play with the country he feels most strongly about and for.

25. 4now says:

I disagree Mighty, while Rossi would have been a prize, with Altidore, Cooper, Adu, and Dempsey still young I’m actually not very worried about our attacking options. Altidore and Adu might even turn out to be superior players in time.

Our central defense options are much bleaker.

26. Donjuego says:

Is it unrealistic or impossible to require young players that train in our youth program to sign documents requiring them to play for the US and US only at the adult level? If not that, require some financial compensation at least.

Why are we developing players for other countries? We should not have to worry about Rongen saying the wrong thing to someone for whom USSF funded development.

27. Topher says:

bob- you lay it out pretty objectively there. i follow most of it, and that is exactly how i would decide. but, i’m sure he probably feels the least connection with the US. ya, he played for our youth national team. But he spent the least amount of time here. He probably feels more of a connection to serbian and/or germany. And that’s gotta be factoring in.

28. Chi says:

Our Olympic team coulda been

Rossi – Jozy

Adu

Rogers-Sacha/Holden

Bradley

Castillo-Subotic-Parkhurst-wynne

Guzan

29. Danny says:

Let him go to Germany for their NT. Let’s see if he can beat all the Brazilian, Polish, and… I mean, other “Germans” for PT.

30. Steven says:

1 thing that separates Subotic from Rossi & Castillo… Neven played for the US youth teams. The latter 2 did not.

Dunno if this matters in the long run, but hopefully the kid sticks with us.

31. Donjuego

Legally, you can not force a kid into a contract. It can be broken at any time until they are 18.

Topher

Good point. If he is a good Footballer, the general population in Germany would have more respect for him the majority of Americans who could give 2 craps about USMNT.

He probably fits in more in Germany than here.

32. Rocco says:

If he hasn’t committed to the USMNT by now, I don’t want him. I would rather have all starting 11 WANTING to play for the stars-and-stripes as opposed to a player that just picked this team because it was his best chance to play in a WC. It should be an honor to put on the US jersey – not just meet some goal of playing in the WC with whatever team will guarantee you a spot. I think he should go play for whatever team for which he allegiance to the country – if it’s not the US, then good riddance no matter how talented he is.

33. mikeK says:

If we want this kid, we’ve got to start playing soccer politics. We’ve got to get Bradley out in the press singing this kid praise when he has a good game out in Deutcheland. We’ve got to get him thinking that we love him here, and have hope for him.

For those saying “Well, if he doesn’t want us we don’t want him”… That seems foolish to me. We are the land of immigrants and multi-nationality. We want to field the best team possible, right? Well, if we want to field the best team possible, which I do, and this kid would be a solid rock at center back, better than what we have now, I want this kid.

34. Betinho says:

DonJuego has a good point…are our coaches suppose to suck players with dual citizenship’s a**es until they are 21 or play for the senior side. This is a joke. The kid should have his loyalties with the US. Where would he be w/o US Soccer? He needs to grow up and get over himself.

Newsflash: Rossi and Castillo are not playing for the US and will never be doing so. Get over it and move on.

35. MetroFlip73 says:

Great. Thx Thomas Rongen, even though I met your wife and son, and they were nice people.

It’s personnel decisions like this that make me shake my head in frustration.

We had to witness Nathan Sturgis take on that big Austrian striker and he was completely pwn3d in the process.

36. Mighty says:

4 now,

I understand your point, but this kid didn’t even live in the US long enough to able to learn and understand our ways. Do you want someone to play for us, that really doesn’t understand what it is to be and American. My point was that Rossie should of knows this, he was born and raised in Jersey, so it hurts more in his case. This kid could go and play for Germany, i and understand him, he really does not know what he is gong to miss out.

37. Cyrus says:

If he chooses to not play for the US, I won’t be as upset as Castillo and Rossi not playing for us. Castillo and Rossi were home grown players, that were born here and played in our youth system. Subotic’s situation is much different and much more complicated.

38. brett says:

Jason – yes, those teams (mexico and italy and germany) have histories… but rather then get lost in it, Rossi (and company) stand/stood a chance at creating history…. IF Rossi gets goals for italy he’ll be lost to a whole list of names… But if he excelled and scored tons of goals for the US, he’d be going down in history as one of the firsts…. i mean our leading scorer is a right mid (who happens to play forward from time to time)…

but i say, let them choose who they want to play for… i just dont want to have players who look at the US as a Silver or Bronze Medal… i want players who WANT to don the Red/White/Blue

39. brett says:

Betinho – does anyone think they would?? would be impossible now….

40. Brian says:

Rongen’s “hasn’t developed enough” comment was pretty mild. It’s said all the time.

For the kid to turn his back on a program where he developed during his core teen years because of a very mildly critical comment sounds immature on Neven’s part. Sounds like the kid is going to have a tough time dealing with adversity if such an incident bothers him for years. He’s young but he’s a pro and he needs to grow up.

I don’t want our coaches to humilate players (and Rongen didn’t) and I don’t want them to have to kiss ass either to stop them from jumping ship.

41. Sandro says:

Well the US shouldn’t be in a position to beg for someone to play for the US. If he wants to play here for the USA then go ahead and so be it. If not that is fine, not pissed in anyway. I prefer to have players who want to wear the Red/White/Blue not players who may have their full heart into the program and we feel like we have to beg to wear the Red/White/Blue.

As far as Thomas Rongen goes, that is another matter (It is a bit unprofessional no matter who the kid is or was). But really the US Soccer Federation should not have to beg anyone to play for the US and represent the US team. It is an honor to play for the US team not a privelege. If he feels otherwise that is fine no harm no foul.

42. 4now says:

sorry Thom, maybe you’re right. based on some of these posts it would appear that thick-head ed nationalism is still alive and well.

“patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.”

: )

43. brett says:

“But Subotic rejected those advances, claiming he was unfit to play, and later asked that he not be invited to anymore camps, stating that he preferred to focus on his club commitments.”

sorry, but after this comment, i wouldnt have pressed the issue anymore…. if the kid wishes to play for the US then he knows who to contact….

as a player, i would appriciate a national head coach calling me into camps…. even if i dont/cant attend them, its pointing out that you are still on the radar… i dont think i would tell an organization off like that… that quote tells me that he’s trying to play for Germany, then if he can he’ll go to Serbia…

personally i think we Yanks need to look at the youth players in our program who are actually willing to play for us…

44. brett says:

4now- i dont think i fit into your post, but personally i wouldnt want our national team represented by players who dont want to represent our nation…. id rather stick it out with mediocre and some quality players before begging for the services of a player “between” countries…

if he wants to play for Germany or Serbia then the best of luck, but if he plays for the US id rather it be b/c he wants to represent the US then aiding his career…

45. Al17 says:

Who in the hell says he’s a lock to be called up for the US? Whatever he decides to do, I hope he’s very happy with the decision. It’s a non issue to me.

46. 4now says:

Mighty,

I respect your point, but I thank you have a really static, and antiquated notion of culture. “Our ways” are multiple and always in flux, especially when one considers our history as MikeK has noted. And to suggest that there is some mythical amount of time that it would take to acquire a vague “Americanness” is really strange…

4now

47. mike says:

Maybe I’m wrong, but I thought Castillo chose Mexico because the US never called. That’s a big difference compared to Rossi or Subotic who are/were clearly targets for the USMNT.

48. 4now says:

brett,

he’s on the fence!

let’s go out and get him!

simple as that.

great clubs go after good players.

the do it mercilessly and relentlessly.

the great national teams will do the same.

get with it man.

49. Eugene says:

I hope he doesn’t. He doesn’t seem at all proud to put on the US jersey. Really, why are we getting so worked up about a 19 year old kid? If it wasn’t his Mainz coaching buying him at Dortmund, would anyone else have paid this price?

50. Eugene says:

I just say, who cares, we don’t need Subotic

51. Haig says:

“Lets see, one he can pick serbia, get lots of play time, but most likely never see a WC.”

Huh? Bob, Serbia (as Serbia and Montenegro, but don’t be fooled: the key players are Serbs and play for Serbia even as Montenegro is allowed to go their own way) won their qualifying group, going UNDEFEATED in a group that had SPAIN and giving up one goal in all of qualifying.

Did they implode in Germany? Yeah. But your comment about their quality was completely and utterly stupid. I hope Neven opts to play for the US, too, but your idiotic denegration of Serbia’s quality is on par with Rongen for total arrogant ignorance. Wake me up when the US produces a player as good as Dejan Stanković.

52. DeLarge says:

He’s trying to play for Germany, it’s obvious. If we were the only “option,” he’d be in Beijing.

Personally, having been in Germany for some time, and being the son to a German father — I can attest that the way of life is so different in footballing terms, I see no reason why he should be a US player if Germany’s an option to him. His support group is there, his family is there (from what I understand), his friends are there, and maybe even a girlfriend.

He’ll be wearing the coat of arms over his chest if he’s allowed. We need to move on for our own sake, no matter how painful it might be to picture it. He’s not playing for us.

Nuff said.

53. I say we as fans move on, lower our expectations on this one. Hopefully, the USSF is doing/will do everything it can to get him, but what’s done is done. If he decides on USA, great, but I’m willing to bet he doesn’t. He wants to give that Germany passport situation time to resolve itself. Only if it falls through, then will he consider between Serbia and USA.

54. brett says:

4now – i disagree… i dont think he’s on the fence at all… i think he’s clearly in Germany’s yard…. then when Germany yells at him, he’ll scamper back over the fence to either US or Serbia….

similar to rossi vs ferrari…. id much rather have Ferrari representing the US b/c he actually WANTS to…. Rossi would only play for the US if he failed at Italy… National teams are not club teams… you dont sell your services for X goods… you represent b/c you want to represent…

55. brett says:

dont get me wrong, id be more then happy to see the kid wearing our jersey… but i want him to wear it b/c he wants to, not because he could wear someone else’s jersey and this was his “fall back” team

56. Pat the Red Bulls Fan says:

As a USMNT fan, I’m not looking for players who view the USA as sloppy seconds.

It should be a honor to put that jersey on, you shouldn’t have to sell somebody on it.

57. Felix says:

As much as I’d love to see him play for the US, I think in the end his lawyers/agents and the German Federation’s authorities will find some kind of loophole to get him in the German colors. I just hope this doesn’t come down to Rongen’s “snubbing” of him for the 2007 U-20 WC.

58. Jason says:

Brett – agreed. Rossi did have the potential to go down as a US great. But that doesn’t appear to have any kind of appeal whatsoever. It seems like it would be better to be among a list of greats for a top tier soccer country than to be the very best for a second tier country that could care less about soccer.

I’m just saying that’s what appears to be the case for some players. Ernie Stewart gladly donned Red, White and Blue despite his eligibility for Holland but that was his choice and we of course, were happy for it. But yes, I agree, let’s field players who want to be with us.

59. East River says:

I honestly can’t see him picking the US over Germany. The US over Serbia, I can see, but when the likes of Germany or Italy come calling its just hard to compete with that. We are talking about WC titles, Euro titles, and the fame ahhh the fame… and don’t forget the MONEY! At least he is still thinking about it. What was Rongen thinking is the big question? I do remember Rongen saying he didn’t think Subotic had progressed well at Mainz. But Subotic is not Rossi, Rossi was born and raised in the US, Subotic was here for a few years so shoudl not get heart broken about where his loyalities lie.

60. Libertarian says:

He should–gasp–play where he wants… right? If you accept that, then you can’t get mad about his decision… right? Maybe disappointed it doesn’t align with your own “wants,” but not mad.

61. John Doe says:

“I find this disappointing, because a few months later after Rongen said I was not good enough for the U-20s, I played a very good season and started getting calls from various countries [U.S. included] for the full men’s team. I still don’t know what he saw in the other players, and what he didn’t see in me.”

This comment from Subotic struck me with the thought of team vs talent on the youth development level. We should be playing the best most talented players on our youth teams. I think the mentality of many of our youth coaches is to put the “team” first in the thought of getting results over allowing players to be showcased. Who really cares how well we do at these youth tournaments they are just glorified scout camps for pro teams. Our mentality should be getting these kids into the best pro environments to allow them to improve for the full men’s national team. Unfortunately our coaches need results to justify their jobs which makes our whole system suffer.

62. Nic says:

Ives,

I’m not sure if Subotic would be able to immediately qualify to play for the Serbian national team. His family, while being ethnically Serb, is from Bosnia. It would depend largely on whether his grandparents were born within the current Serbian boundaries, if I’m not mistaken.

Ultimately, he’ll have to decide 1) to which country he feels most tied and 2) where he’ll have the best opportunity to play. I wouldn’t count the US out.

63. JH says:

I gotta say, it doesn’t really matter to me if we’re the 2nd or 3rd option for these kids, as long as they choose us over them (whoever them might be). I don’t think we have a rich enough tradition to really care that the USMNT kit is being donned with great pride and that the U.S. is the ONLY team that particular player ever wanted to play for.

I’m greedy. I don’t care if the U.S. is the last team Subotic or Rossi or whoever wanted to play for, as long as they eventually play for us.

It would be nice to start going into the WC every four years hoping for something more like we saw in South Korea/Japan in ’02 and less like we saw in France in ’98 and Germany in ’06. Beating up on CONCACAF will only be fun for so long, and we need players like Subotic and Rossi to start having that hope.

Who cares if we’re their first choice?

64. Oranje Mike says:

It’s all a matter of what country you think of as home. That goes beyond what country you live in. If Subotic thinks of himself as German or Serbian then he should play for Germany or Serbia. If Subotic does not want to play for the United States, more power to him, although it looks as if the option is on the table. Rossi, on the other hand, is an American by birth (and I believe still counts himself as an American) and he never gave us the time of day. That’s why I disagree with his choice and why I will never cheer him on.

65. Sin2R says:

I’d rather have true Americans, i.e., those that feel like they are Americans, representing our country. If you think your really Italian or Mexican, good luck with that. If you think your German or Serbian, fine. If you are born in the Faroe Islands, and move to the US when you are 22 and start to feel like an American and love our country, your an American in my mind, and I want you on my team.

America is all about being a melting pot of different heratiges (sp?).

I hope Germany, Italy, and Mexico cap these brats and then drop them so that they cannot play for another country. That should teach them about loyalty.

66. Thom says:

4now- for what it is worth I agreed with your comments about fandom in regards to my post. As fans we do need to rant on sometimes as I do with anything that has to do with FIFA in general – Little Jack Warner and Seth Bladder in particular.

I wonder sometimes if any other sport in the world lives to such a large extent in the internet/ blog bubble as U.S. soccer.It seems as though the internet/blogs are all we fans have.

67. Lee says:

If he can’t take getting yelled at by a youth coach, then how is this kid ever going to make it at a team like Manchester United. Sir Alex would make Subotic kill himself. I mean did Subotic ever stop to think for a moment that the reason Rongen laid into him is that because he is a superior player to all those other crappy center backs and that Rongen expects so much more out of him?

68. papa bear says:

Sounds like he’s gone. He won’t start for Germany anytime soon though as they crank out defenders like they are going out of style, but I guess he’s comfortable waiting 4-8 years to get that chance.

@Posted by:jrnail23 | July 31, 2008 at 01:52 PM

To your point I would also add the sickness that is many in the media and coaching staff of the USMNT that create an ‘untouchable’ aura around Boca and especially Gooch. What 19 year old wants to come into that? Look at home many already write off Orrozco and I think he is a far more polished centerback than Gooch in terms of technique.

I’m sorry, but both (especially Gooch) should be looked at and pushed. They aren’t the end all, be all at centerback.

69. cameron says:

Nevy Subotic, take us back. we can change!

70. Maybe he is being a little childish about the whole thing, but then he is only 19 and coaches don’t usually criticize players openly at such young ages. I hope Thomas Rongen at least appologized to him privately.

Anyway, he is a young impressionable kid who surely wants people to ‘love’ him so he will probably choose germany if he can(and as long as his star continues to rise) just because he is surrounded by people from that country who would like to see him choose that country every day.

This could be one of those situations where we actually have good old G.W. Bush to thank . Come to think of it all these talented kids chose another country over the U.S. during his rein no? Our image abroad sucks now!!!

71. Bob says:

Haig,

I by no means said anything about Serbia’s play. They can play ball. But lets look at the overall picture. Unless you have a large population in europe you will not be producing great or good enough players to compete with the other european teams. The odds that they can sustain being a “great” team and consitantly make WCs are not great. Were as the US will most likely always make the WC, due to lack of competitive teams in the region.

SO Please don’t be a moron and put words into my mouth. Like I said before I never said anything about there quaility of play.

72. Luis Chavez says:

I hope he Chooses anyone but the US TEAM, I prefer to keep the Red white and blue for people who will fight and bleed the colors. ITs simple if you have to question which team to represent than maybe you should consider not playing for any team. You need to get your head straight first.

P.S. This is coming from an person who migrated to another country and has repect for both countries, but THERE have never been any doubts on what team I would play for.

FOR ME having players like

Castillo

Rossi

Subotic

not on our team is a great thing, keep them miles away from wearing my colors now if Orozco could change his mind and go play for the land down under. hhhmmm

this is not a club team where you love your team but in your heart boo players on your team that you wish never worn your colors (blanco and the fire) You should never feel disgraced by having a player play for your team.

73. Oranje Mike says:

@Luis Chavez

Could you please clarify your comments about Blanco and the Chicago Fire? Are you saying Fire fans don’t really like him?

74. Tim F. says:

Take your time Neven but I hope you decide to join the USofA!

75. Kaiser says:

Subotic is exactly the type of player we need!

There is a huge hole in the center of defense for the USMNT. Bocanegra is decent, but not consistant enough. Gooch is slow and gets caught out of position. Conrad is solid, but not overly talented. Parkhurst is smart, but needs a good back to play next to him. Edu is better as a midfeilder. The US needs someone to anchor that backline, and if this is the guy who can do it, go get him Bradley!

76. Justin O says:

Bob – Serbia has more talent than Greece, and they were just European champions.

And speaking of the European championship, isn’t participating in that tournament an appealing option? The US gives him zero chance of that.

From a purely sporting point of view, playing for Serbia in UEFA is surely a hell of a lot more interesting than playing for anyone in CONCACAF. The number of BIG games is numerous times more than you get playing in CONCACAF.

77. Daniel says:

@Eugene

Billionaire-backed Hoffenheim bid for Subotic. That`s why Dortmund had to pay that much. Subotic`s coach said, he didn`t bring him to Dortmund because he liked his haircut. That sounds plausible to me.

78. Daniel says:

Recently, I have read an interview with Subotic in a German magazine.

He said that his parents and his sister live in the US, while the rest of his family is in Bosnia and that most of his friends and his girlfriend are in Germany.

His girlfriend Lisa Ryzih was born in Russia but since she had German heritage she and her family emigrated to Germany when she was 2y.o.. She has become U-20 world champion in pole jumping and just missed out on qualifying for the Olympics.

link to bild.de

79. Angel says:

I think we should be looking to our new U17 I can see a lots of talend there and the u20 too but we our national team coaches to be careful and do some good scouting to fine those players no matter what nationality background are they from, Give them a chances to progress and play for the national team, BOB BRADLEY is a little bit like Bruce Arena Keep using the same players on every call up. Thats why friendly games are made up, to see new players an evalute and see how the preform. That is the reason why Castillo, Rossi, Subotic, Francisco Torres from (Pachuca), and many more had say no to the USMNT. They all have things in common, They were in the Youth System and were let go by the national coaches. Anyways if you don’t want to loose good players I hope that we get some good scouting and keep those kids in check. That is why we need SHEA in the Men’s National Team before he decided to do the same a the other guys and that is choose another National Team.

80. Angel says:

Sorry about my bad spelling and grammer..lol I know I need to get back to school.

81. Joey says:

White guys should NEVER wear cornrows, as Subotic was proudly sporting in a recent photo. Let him take that scheisse to Belgrade, just like Rossi took his dirty Jersey leather pants and jean shorts to Italia.

82. Miklos says:

Forgive me if this has already been said, but Castillo did not pass on the US, they passed on him. He wanted tp play for the US but was not on Bradley’s radar.

83. brett says:

Angel- LOL, BB using the same guys?? hardly… he’s given more guys caps then Arena did in his entire tenure… i think in BB’s first year he capped over 60 different players, including many of those 60 were players who had fewer then 10 caps… and quite a decent number of them saw first cap for the nats…..

this is funny, b/c if bradley brought in new players and lost quite a number of those games you all would be calling for his job… he was already on the fence as he was the interm coach, a simple mess up couldve cost him the job… he’s played it safe and he’s capped plenty

84. brett says:

Miklos- you can hardly blame BB on the fact that Castillo capped with Mexico… he did it on June 2007…